The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2023, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
It's awful. I don't mind salt of the earth people, but, when they insist on being dumb, and get angry if you don't be dumb with them, it's annoying.

Examples:
I seen it!
I done seen it! (I guess this is more emphatic.)
It don't matter none. (two for the price of one.)
He said it on Facebook!

I will extemporize some pretty vicious Southern slang at times, but it's funny phrasing, not incorrect usage. "Is this all y'all's fault or am I gonna have to call the law?" for example.

I did get temp banned from the team members' facebook page at my work because I tried to tell them besmirching someone's character in a written format is libel, not slander, because
it is written and you didn't "say" anything unless you had to sound out the words typing it. (That last part might have been the reason.) See above example about Facebook.
Don't get me started on the culture and vocabulary found in many parts of Missouri. There are countless areas I've visited where I felt like I just stepped into a scene from Deliverance.
Old October 2nd, 2023, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Buddy has a fit when either of his "peeps" are away- wifey or me. He just stares out the window waiting for his peep to come back.
Reminded me of one of our Cattle Dogs who actually did this when we left her alone.

Old October 2nd, 2023, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I’m constantly amazed with the spoken language around here. Everyone speaks in sentences containing double negatives, incorrect noun verb agreement & incorrect conjugation. Not sure I recall hearing this one before, but a true classic. I just heard this roll off a woman’s tongue:

”There weren’t nobody around”
My favorite is from an old timer in Texas:
”Don’t make me no nevermind.”
Old October 3rd, 2023, 04:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
My favorite is from an old timer in Texas:
”Don’t make me no nevermind.”
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant - a true classic. And, like John suggested earlier, when spoken from a salt of the Earth old timer it speaks to true grit.
Old October 3rd, 2023, 09:10 AM
Running On Empty

Tabouleh (variant) - made w/ Spelt. In 30+ years of making Tabouleh I've used Buckwheat, Bulgar or Quinoa.

Old October 3rd, 2023, 09:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
There are countless areas I've visited where I felt like I just stepped into a scene from Deliverance.
I've ridden the Indian through Tallula Gorge many times. Could be where Jim might find Nick on his off days.
Old October 3rd, 2023, 03:07 PM

I've ridden the Indian through Tallula Gorge many times. Could be where Jim might find Nick on his off days.
I think you're onto something, that may be his secret hideout! 😉
Old October 3rd, 2023, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

After 3 hours in the refrigerator, Feta garnishing & Baked Tempura shrimp. I might have gotten carried away w/ the Tempura - not my all time best. Tough baking fresh tempura, it's usually fried.

Old October 3rd, 2023, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Honestly, I don't where the hell Nick Saban lives - either full-time or part-time, neither do I know if he still owns his house on Lake Burton, I suspect he does based upon a recent (Nov, 2022) article in Sports Ilustrated. I do know he recently purchased a home in Jupiter, FL for a paltry $17.5MM. His home on Lake Burton was supposedly auctioned @ $11.5MM. He has it tough, I wish him the best during his time of hardship.

Old October 3rd, 2023, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

Old October 3rd, 2023, 04:19 PM

OMG, you're killing me with that pic, it looks sooooooo good!
Old October 4th, 2023, 02:05 AM

Honestly, I don't where the hell Nick Saban lives - either full-time or part-time, neither do I know if he still owns his house on Lake Burton, I suspect he does based upon a recent (Nov, 2022) article in Sports Ilustrated. I do know he recently purchased a home in Jupiter, FL for a paltry $17.5MM. His home on Lake Burton was supposedly auctioned @ $11.5MM. He has it tough, I wish him the best during his time of hardship.

https://youtu.be/V7iUKOgL8qw?si=hRFYTjHZ_6vG5028
Norm, That pic isn't his house. Someone talked him into building an estate [castle] speck house [ not a goo idea.] His house is nice and has a fantastic lot [wraps around the tip of a point with lots of lake frontage] . if you watch the video [of his REAL house] notice the round windows in the boat house. Its easy to find because its the only boat house I've ever seen with those kind of windows. Next time I go I snap some pics I've been told but don't really know. That he's one of the $$ investors that pulled the Waterfall golf course out of the fire.and got it back on its feet

Last edited by Jamesbo; October 4th, 2023 at 02:13 AM.
Old October 4th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Norm, I like your dessert much better than the main course. Well, Monday I dropped the Hyundai off at the bodyshop (Chrysler dealership), and the rental that they gave me is a 2023 Jeep Renegade with 644 miles on the odo. I will never own one. It has a jouncy bouncy ride, along with engine, trans, and highway noises to boot. When I pull into my garage, it sounds like a street sweeper vacuum truck. It does have a peppy turbo four, and an excellent back up camera, but otherwise no thanks. My 122,000 mile Hyundai rides, handles better, and is quieter. Too bad my engine sucks.
Old October 4th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, I like your dessert much better than the main course.
Dan - I think I'd better make another since you brought it up.
Old October 4th, 2023, 01:55 PM

My 122,000 mile Hyundai rides, handles better, and is quieter. Too bad my engine sucks.
Despite having their own known issues, I agree they are a very nice riding AWD SUV.
Old October 4th, 2023, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

Inspired by Dan....created by Norm

Old October 4th, 2023, 02:15 PM

Norm- Now you're just torturing us out of spite!

Raining and only °68 here right now, feels and smells like Fall. It wasn't raining this morning and I was glad for that because I was hauling furniture for my wife that she bought from an online estate sale. She got it really, really cheap. Large dining room table with 2 arm chairs and 4 regular chairs, matching tall buffet w/hutch on top and low serving buffet. She also bought a separate unique serving buffet. Had to make 2 trips to get it all home, luckily the place was only 13-miles away. She should be good for pieces to refinish for awhile.

Not much else going on other than the same ol, same ol. Hope everyone is having a nice day!
Old October 4th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - For crying out loud, get smart, man...buy an enclosed trailer to drag behind your Ford.
Old October 4th, 2023, 02:34 PM

Chris - For crying out loud, get smart, man...buy an enclosed trailer to drag behind your Ford.
Norm - I agree, but the HOA ****'s would slap a lien on me for non-compliance. Trailers of any kind are not allowed to be kept in your driveway on a permanent basis. A day or two is fine, but the trailer cannot be parked there all the time, or on the street. I have no space in my garage. Really though, the multiple trips are not that big a deal. In the 4-years my wife's been doing this refinishing gig, I've probably only had to make multiple trips 3 times. It's the least I can do for her. She does well at it, and I'm amazed at how much what she brings in contributes to the bottom line in our budget.
Old October 4th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - The ONLY HOA I would ever belong to would be an HOA at a nudist resort; and, I'd make damn sure they strictly enforced the no clothing rule.
Old October 4th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I quit my club this month - actually last month. I returned to my old club where I was a Founding Member - they waived my initiation fees since I paid the initiation fee once 17 years ago. The club I've been playing built a (very nice) new clubhouse - very nice for this area, three stories, bunch of pomp adieu B.S. (a Grande restaurant), etc. but frankly left out a solid infrastructure. Now they've instilled these B.S. rules and are placing themselves well over their heads in B.S. They evidently intend to cater to the "entitlement" generation of golfers. I paid a hefty $3K assessment fee in February so they could pay for the damn clubhouse. Their Board of Directors have $hit for brains. I have no intentions of playing in a club ruled by a gaggle of cretins.

Surprisingly, my original course (I returned to) plays harder & longer and I'm shooting lower rounds of golf - go figure.
Old October 4th, 2023, 03:35 PM

Chris - The ONLY HOA I would ever belong to would be an HOA at a nudist resort; and, I'd make damn sure they strictly enforced the no clothing rule.
I don't like them either Norm, at all. However, any Subdivision worth living in around here has one. Ya can't hardly avoid them unless you have property in an unincorporated area. Just one of the things I loved about the home I gave up in my divorce was the fact that we didn't have an HOA.
Old October 4th, 2023, 03:49 PM

Jim - I quit my club this month - actually last month. I returned to my old club where I was a Founding Member - they waived my initiation fees since I paid the initiation fee once 17 years ago. The club I've been playing built a (very nice) new clubhouse - very nice for this area, three stories, bunch of pomp adieu B.S. (a Grande restaurant), etc. but frankly left out a solid infrastructure. Now they've instilled these B.S. rules and are placing themselves well over their heads in B.S. They evidently intend to cater to the "entitlement" generation of golfers. I paid a hefty $3K assessment fee in February so they could pay for the damn clubhouse. Their Board of Directors have $hit for brains. I have no intentions of playing in a club ruled by a gaggle of cretins.

Surprisingly, my original course (I returned to) plays harder & longer and I'm shooting lower rounds of golf - go figure.
I don't care what kind of place it is, don't you just hate it when a place starts thinking their $hit doesn't stink! Sounds like the Club you just left didn't fully think through all the ramifications of taking on all that debt simply for the sake of appearances, and now the Members are left suffering the financial burden. Hope you're enjoying yourself more now at your old course. I'm betting you'll be much better off in the long run.
Old October 4th, 2023, 04:01 PM
Running On Empty

I don't care what kind of place it is, don't you just hate it when a place starts thinking their $hit doesn't stink! Sounds like the Club you just left didn't fully think through all the ramifications of taking on all that debt simply for the sake of appearances, and now the Members are left suffering the financial burden. Hope you're enjoying yourself more now at your old course. I'm betting you'll be much better off in the long run.
Chris - That is nearly exactly how this entire deal went down. Clueless, brainless, mindless fools establishing their egos.
Old October 4th, 2023, 05:05 PM

My subdivision has a rudimentary, 50 year old HOA to deal with the lake's maintenance. While I have been hassled for lawn care by some bitch in a note, people tend to leave me alone. I think the loud V8s scare people.
Old October 4th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

I think the loud V8s scare people.
No doubt
Old October 4th, 2023, 07:19 PM

the rental that they gave me is a 2023 Jeep Renegade with 644 miles on the odo. I will never own one. It has a jouncy bouncy ride, along with engine, trans, and highway noises to boot. When I pull into my garage, it sounds like a street sweeper vacuum truck.
It a rebadged Fiat Panda, brought to US by Stellantis (Italian firm) created by the merger of Fiat and Chrysler.
Old October 4th, 2023, 07:55 PM

It a rebadged Fiat Panda, brought to US by Stellantis (Italian firm) created by the merger of Fiat and Chrysler.
I think Jeremy Clarkson had some words about those.
Old October 4th, 2023, 08:20 PM
Running On Empty

I think Jeremy Clarkson had some words about those.
I couldn't resist...the damn thing isn't starting at 5:51. Well go to 5:51 anyways.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 4th, 2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old October 5th, 2023, 02:13 AM

Norm, One of the many reason I am not on any club committee is they don't want to hear about the way the PI$$ away money. Like most [all] institutions their main purpose is to stay in business'. Along those lines what they often do is cater to a younger crowd that will have expensive [profitable] wedding and other events. Us old farts only play golf . My club actually has a day care center so young mothers can play tennis or work out and leave the rug rats in a safe place
Old October 5th, 2023, 04:39 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I understand.
Old October 5th, 2023, 07:57 AM

Dang, I thought we were done with this already but apparently not.

Old October 5th, 2023, 08:26 AM

Dang, I thought we were done with this already but apparently not.

Damn, that's hot for October! Not surprising anymore though. I sat at a car show this past Saturday and it was 92° here, and just saw on the news it was the hottest September worldwide ever recorded. We are supposed to be headed into more seasonable temps here Saturday with a morning low of 42° and a high of 62°. I'm sure it will feel chilly at a show Saturday morning if it truly gets down to 42°. Definitely gonna need to layer my clothing.
Old October 5th, 2023, 01:03 PM

Damn, that's hot for October!
Not really. We usually have high temps until around the third week of October, then it's as if someone toggled a switch and the heat turned off and the AC turned on. I was just getting hopeful since last week was under 100.
Old October 5th, 2023, 01:46 PM

Not really. We usually have high temps until around the third week of October, then it's as if someone toggled a switch and the heat turned off and the AC turned on. I was just getting hopeful since last week was under 100.
Wow, I never realized it stayed that warm that far into October. Growing up in Michigan it is just hard for me to wrap my mind around those kind of temps in October!
Old October 5th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

Where is Mike?
Old October 5th, 2023, 04:08 PM

Dick Butkus passed today. What an incredible player and legend. "The Chicago Bear!"
Old October 5th, 2023, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Dick Butkus passed today. What an incredible player and legend. "The Chicago Bear!"
Saw that. Flags will fly at half-mast in Chicago. Probably the best linebacker - ever. I was watching the game when Holman & Butkus clocked Bart Starr - I mean they sent Bart into the next universe.

EDIT: What's rather interesting, from my perspective, is I've always held allegiance to the Green Bay Packers - even to this day. I was never a Bears fan, but respected them greatly.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 5th, 2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old October 5th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Saw that. Flags will fly at half-mast in Chicago. Probably the best linebacker - ever. I was watching the game when Holman & Butkus clocked Bart Starr - I mean they sent Bart into the next universe.
He certainly was one of the best ever, and certainly a childhood defensive hero of mine. I do believe he was the hardest hitter I ever saw, and he only knew one way to play, at full speed on every play. It's sad when you see your childhood hero's pass.
Old October 5th, 2023, 04:32 PM

EDIT: What's rather interesting, from my perspective, is I've always held allegiance to the Green Bay Packers - even to this day. I was never a Bears fan, but respected them greatly.
Certainly the Lions never gave me much to root about in my childhood, so I was a big Green Bay fan. Always had a framed copy of Lombardi`s "The Speech" in my office. Loved Starr, Hornung, Nitzke, Kramer and the whole class of stars from the 60's. To me they were "America's Team", before Dallas ever thought of that name.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 5th, 2023 at 05:05 PM.