The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2023, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the compliments on 56 guys, actually the nickname I wanted is for the plow truck, "Brush something". Hey Chris I was not paying attention to ads on the tube the other day, looked up and pretty sure I saw your car on a NFL ad you were talking about. I need to pay more attention.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hey Chris I was not paying attention to ads on the tube the other day, looked up and pretty sure I saw your car on a NFL ad you were talking about. I need to pay more attention.
Greg - Ya, there's only about 3-seconds max footage of the car in that Lions/Chiefs promo, if you blink you'll miss it. That regular season kickoff game is this coming Thursday evening on NBC.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 10:08 AM

Went to breakfast with friends yesterday, same group from last May plus one. We may be doing this on a monthly basis, which is good with me. The plus one brought his '96 LT4 Vette, which he has been threatining to do for a couple of summers, and tossed me the keys. These were good for mid to upper 13's in the 1/4 mile back in the day. It pulls real well, with better torque than I was expecting. No bonzai run with it, as it was not my car, just a few pulls up to 4k on the tach. He has been trying to get me buy a '90's vette for awhile, and will send me ads (this morning) when he finds one w/low mile and a corresponding price. Headed to a small car show afterwards, and finally home to catch some college football on the tube.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Went to breakfast with friends yesterday, same group from last May plus one. We may be doing this on a monthly basis, which is good with me. The plus one brought his '96 LT4 Vette, which he has been threatining to do for a couple of summers, and tossed me the keys. These were good for mid to upper 13's in the 1/4 mile back in the day. It pulls real well, with better torque than I was expecting. No bonzai run with it, as it was not my car, just a few pulls up to 4k on the tach. He has been trying to get me buy a '90's vette for awhile, and will send me ads (this morning) when he finds one w/low mile and a corresponding price. Headed to a small car show afterwards, and finally home to catch some college football on the tube.
Dan - Sounds like a fun morning with friends! I didn't watch the Michigan game yesterday because I was trying to get some chores done before heading to the car cruise at 2:30pm. From what I read it sounded like they looked pretty good. Anything short of a Big 10 title will be a disappointment, so they better get their $hit together.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 01:39 PM
Running On Empty

Got a little over 1/2 the priming done - no caulking, didn't erect any scaffolding. Someone reached out to me on a Indian Motorcycle forum inquiring if my bike was still for sale.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Got a little over 1/2 the priming done - no caulking, didn't erect any scaffolding. Someone reached out to me on a Indian Motorcycle forum inquiring if my bike was still for sale.
Sounds like a pretty productive day Norm. Best of luck on selling your bike. Chinese take-out for dinner here tonight, I'm out getting it right now. For me, 2 Ham St. Paul Sandwiches and an order of Pork Fried Rice, Momma's getting Beef and Broccoli.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 03:23 PM
Running On Empty

Not sure what's for dinner - SOS maybe. 💩
Old September 3rd, 2023, 03:34 PM

Not sure what's for dinner - SOS maybe. 💩
What we called SOS was Armor Chipped Beef in a gravy served over Rusk Toast. Is that what you're referring to, or was it something else to you?
Old September 3rd, 2023, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - That's basically/essentially what we'd call it but any variation of chipped beef was considered SOS - Armor was often the can of choice (I think) if it was a canned chip beef - and; any bread would suffice. TBH, we seldom had Armor chipped beef in the house. We bought all our meat from Mom's brothers on the farms. Two 16 cubic ft. freezers in the basement generally held 1/2 steer and one or two large oinkers. Meat was cut & packaged by her brother's local butcher. Mom also canned chipped beef. We had Mason Jars lining cupboards with chipped beef to accompany the several hundred Mason Jars of canned tomatoes & homemade Giardiniera. I'm using SOS in the most generic of terms - since I don't have much to eat in the fridge at the moment - well, anything I really WANT to eat. I might end of settling for some popcorn smothered in butter and brewer's yeast.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 03:55 PM

Back to sell lots and cut grass. Norm I sincerely appreciate ya looking out for a nice K 5 for me at the present time [it may be a good thing] I'm getting close to OD [oughta dough] Too may projects [I want] and need more space [ new building] desperately
Old September 3rd, 2023, 04:30 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - The new bldg. sounds like a priority & something which will obviously keep you occupied and something to enjoy. Have you picked out your overhead lighting? For my 30'W x 40'L x 15'H bldg. I have six overhead florescent fixtures. Each holds four florescent bulbs - the little skinny type ones. Plenty of lighting. I have twelve electrical duplex plug-ins - four on each of three sides located at ~43" above ground directly above one of the wall girts. I ran electrical metal conduit throughout the bldg and the wall girt was a perfect place to fasten the horizontal metal conduit for the duplexes. Best to ensure you separate your lighting circuit from your duplex circuit. All my duplexes are polarized. Think about any needs you have for 240V appliances & plan your subpanel/breaker box accordingly. Have fun with it - you're going to love it. I think you've already decided on the bldg? Number of overhead doors (if any - I mean you might not have any need for overhead doors - not sure of your situation), walk-in door(s). I had a great time erecting my building. Absolutely one of the best added features to my property. If the bldg. isn't going to be "climate controlled" (heat & AC), I would NOT add ANY insulation to any part of the bldg. The stuff they sell for insulation is good for climate controlled bldgs. but it's nothing more than a vestibule to harbor tons of mold & mildew between the insulation and the metal sheeting.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 04:44 PM
Running On Empty

I have six of these hanging from the 15' ceiling - not the same manufacturer. These are likely better than the ones I purchased. I think I paid $110/each. Each of mine the ballasts lasted about four years and took a $hit. I've had to replace nearly all the ballasts (two/each in each fixture)- not so much fun. Get some good ones.

PrimeLights 4 Bulb / Lamp T8 LED High Bay Utility Shop Garage Warehouse Light Fixture 11,400 Lumens, 120-277V PrimeLights 4 Bulb / Lamp T8 LED High Bay Utility Shop Garage Warehouse Light Fixture 11,400 Lumens, 120-277V

Old September 3rd, 2023, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

They're T8 bulbs - which are LED; so, they're not fluorescent as I was saying. Darn inexpensive to run I'll say - hardly noticeable in the electric/utility bill.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Back to sell lots and cut grass. Norm I sincerely appreciate ya looking out for a nice K 5 for me at the present time [it may be a good thing] I'm getting close to OD [oughta dough] Too may projects [I want] and need more space [ new building] desperately
I have a newer version of the blazer squatting in my garage. I need to get it on the road.
Old September 3rd, 2023, 08:13 PM

Chris, I didn't see the Michigan game as it was on the Peacock streaming service only. This was free until a couple of months ago with Comcast, but now they are charging for it, so the hell with them I say, as I pay too much for cable as it is.
Old September 4th, 2023, 04:02 AM

Norm, Electrical is a separate city inspection. I may have ta do some things in stages and wait for the dust to clear [and not get caught] Next door is a Primitive Baptist church built in the 1800s, They had a tree fall on a out building several years ago and the volunteers were quickly out to replace the damaged roof. Of course the city slapped a stop work order on them . Even though the church had been built and standing for 200 years without the benefit of one single permit. Things around here have really changed, No longer a volunteer fire department and no cops for 20 miles now we have fire. police, running water and natural gas . The country has turned into the city. I used to pour black walnuts out in the road and wait for a car to come by and knock off the husk, Now [at certain times of day] I cant get out of my driveway . I guess ya gotta take the bitter with the sweet, I don't like it but I did have an excellent day when I sold 20 acres of my original 80 on the corner to Publix

Last edited by Jamesbo; September 4th, 2023 at 04:04 AM.
Old September 4th, 2023, 04:47 AM

When I was in the National Gaurds they made a SOS which was hamburger in a milk gravy- quite good- garlicy- I liked it and haven't had since. My Mom used to make the SOS with Chipped beef- not really a fan of that. I put bought those cheap 4' LED's for my shop off Amazon. I like them but they do flicker sometimes.
Old September 4th, 2023, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I didn't see the Michigan game as it was on the Peacock streaming service only. This was free until a couple of months ago with Comcast, but now they are charging for it, so the hell with them I say, as I pay too much for cable as it is.
Dan - I didn't realize it was only on Peacock. I'm sure at least after the first couple of tune-up games they'll be on one of the more major channels. Agree with you 100% about the cost of TV options. We use Hulu streaming which we're pretty happy with, but even they are getting up there in price.
Old September 4th, 2023, 09:10 AM

Gone are the good old days

Old September 4th, 2023, 09:42 AM

Gone are the good old days
Yep, great picture! Reminds me of some old black and white photos of my Grandpa and Great Grandpa Nixon in southeastern Tennessee between Dayton and Pikeville. They had some hill ground that wasn't worth anything back then except for the timber on it. I saw pictures of them with their team of 2-mules dragging trees down off the mountainside. They had a small sawmill, just enough to get it rough cut and loaded up on trucks to be hauled off to a finishing mill. That was just their side gig. Both my Great Grandpa's on Dad's side were coal miners. When my Dad was a young boy, still no electric in any of their homes, no indoor plumbing save for a hand pump at the kitchen sink, and obviously an outhouse. Maybe the good old days weren't all that great, just simpler in many respects?
Old September 4th, 2023, 10:54 AM

Norm, Electrical is a separate city inspection. I may have ta do some things in stages and wait for the dust to clear [and not get caught] Next door is a Primitive Baptist church built in the 1800s, They had a tree fall on a out building several years ago and the volunteers were quickly out to replace the damaged roof. Of course the city slapped a stop work order on them . Even though the church had been built and standing for 200 years without the benefit of one single permit. Things around here have really changed, No longer a volunteer fire department and no cops for 20 miles now we have fire. police, running water and natural gas . The country has turned into the city. I used to pour black walnuts out in the road and wait for a car to come by and knock off the husk, Now [at certain times of day] I cant get out of my driveway . I guess ya gotta take the bitter with the sweet, I don't like it but I did have an excellent day when I sold 20 acres of my original 80 on the corner to Publix
A quick lawyering with the statement of we are mitigating future damage and are allowed to do this work to that end, and do you really want us to call down God's wrath might have ended that bureaucratic BS.
Old September 4th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Running On Empty

Note to self: Red mule in Arkansas...
Old September 4th, 2023, 03:39 PM

Note to self: Red mule in Arkansas...
Sorry doesn't compute
Old September 4th, 2023, 04:10 PM
Running On Empty

Ex-wife & myself sitting along a hilltop cliff ridge line of the Buffalo River (1984), Ozark, Arkansas. An elderly man (late 80s) is crossing the ridge line by himself w/ a red mule, the three of us engage in some conversation. He was born & raised just outside Jasper, Arkansas. His family used to catch red birds along this ridge line. They were quite tasty. My ex & myself both had Ornithology and we're looking at each other w/ some curiosity. The man said they made a batch of flour + water in the evening, walked up to the ridge line and covered the branches of trees laying on the ground (old timbers) w/ the flour + water (paste). The next morning they'd pick off the red birds stuck to the paste, pluck them in a sack, take them home, clean them and cook them up. They'd generally get about a dozen each morning. He said he doesn't see much red birds any longer.

Ex wife & myself could only figure he must have been talking about Cardinals.
Old September 4th, 2023, 04:20 PM
Running On Empty

There are several variations of recipes for bird stew, bird pie, etc. - some referred to as song bird stew. They exist, they're ancient hand-me-down recipes - they aren't unique, most folks have never heard of them, will never hear of them, and could care less about them I'm certain. Some day I'll tell you about the 96 year old gentleman I met in North Dakota who used live mice to catch big Muskellunge.
Old September 4th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
When my Dad was a young boy, still no electric in any of their homes, no indoor plumbing save for a hand pump at the kitchen sink, and obviously an outhouse. Maybe the good old days weren't all that great, just simpler in many respects?
Sounds similar to my Mom’s younger days. Her parents were sharecroppers(?) working a relative’s fields and living in a house on the relative’s land. No indoor plumbing, an actual ice box, and in later years they had one electric light hanging from a wire. I was talking to Mom about how nowdays we evacuate during hurricanes and have no power for days (weeks sometimes) afterwards and think we can’t survive, but when she was a kid after a storm no power didn’t really mean anything to them.

Oh yeah, Grandma used to always say “these modern days are the good old days” as those actual old days kinda sucked in comparison..
Old September 4th, 2023, 05:34 PM
Running On Empty

Mom was from a family of 14 - ten survived to age of reproduction, her Mom lost two sets of twins. Her parents were able to buy a small farm (Dickeyville, Wisconsin), but they lost the farm during the Great Depression. Mom & her youngest sister (Lucy) used to put solid bricks &/or stones on/in the wood stove, heat them up, and roll them into the bottom's of the blankets on the beds for their brothers at night to help them fall to sleep. Standard scenario of olden days - no indoor plumbing, outhouse, water well you had to hand-pump, etc. Several of her brothers became sharecroppers, as well; until, they could afford to buy the farm from their respective owners. You couldn't get away w/ anything in their family - everyone knew everyone's business - extremely tight knit family - same way I was raised, as well.
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:38 AM

Speaking of SOS, I bet our friend Mike is glad he's in the wheel shop. Some poor soul on a Delta flight to Barcelona get the Hershey squirts and didn't make it to the loo. There was so much in the cabin that the pilot determined it was a bio hazard and returned to Atl

Last edited by Jamesbo; September 5th, 2023 at 01:15 AM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 02:58 AM
Running On Empty

Speaking of SOS, I bet our friend Mike is glad he's in the wheel shop. Some poor soul on a Delta flight to Barcelona get the Hershey squirts and didn't make it to the loo. There was so much in the cabin that the pilot determined it was a bio hazard and returned to Atl
Yikes...
Old September 5th, 2023, 09:29 AM
Jeff

Greg, the truck turned out great.

Since I'm too lazy to look it up... can you use those T4 LED bulbs in an old fluorescent light? I think I still have a supply of bulbs in the basement, but was just curious. The fixture in the garage was an indoor (cheap contractor installation) island light that I repurposed to the garage, so the ballast doesn't much like the cold weather.
Old September 5th, 2023, 11:54 AM
Jeff

@John (Koda), I didn't want to muddy up your rare parts post with a comment about a FB argument I started this past weekend (all because I've had it with people snagging their tackle on my boat), but suffice it to say that I'm not surprised that someone overreacted to your thoughts -- not that your opinion is off-base, because I agree with it, but rather... well, the world is full of unstable folks. Did he then make several comments in a row about how wrong you were, and how right he was? That's my way of knowing that I've found the crazy person, and to just walk away from the conversation. Any time someone feels the need to respond to every single individual commenter, and also fire off several different new comments, you know it's gone off the rails.

*Insert Pat Boone's version of Ozzy's "Crazy Train" here*
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:07 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
Greg, the truck turned out great.

Since I'm too lazy to look it up... can you use those T4 LED bulbs in an old fluorescent light? I think I still have a supply of bulbs in the basement, but was just curious. The fixture in the garage was an indoor (cheap contractor installation) island light that I repurposed to the garage, so the ballast doesn't much like the cold weather.
Keith Dan Jeff - The "end" piece where each tube inserts "into" is called a tombstone.

(1) You need to be sure you have either shunted or non-shunted tombstones in your current fixture; and,
(2) It's my understanding you need to change the ballast as I don't believe the fluorescent ballast will accommodate LED.

I have the T8 LED bulbs - maybe there also exists T4 LED - not sure.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 5th, 2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

Jeff - I haven't watched this video, check it out>>>
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Running On Empty

More sweet corn on the cob today - DELICIOUS.
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:34 PM
Jeff

Keith Dan Jeff - The "end" piece where each tube inserts "into" is called a tombstone.

(1) You need to be sure you have either shunted or non-shunted tombstones in your current fixture; and,
(2) It's my understanding you need to change the ballast as I don't believe the fluorescent ballast will accommodate LED.

I have the T8 LED bulbs - maybe there also exists T4 LED - not sure.
D'OH! Brain saw 4 bulb T8 lamp, but then typed T4. I'll just stop typing for the day.
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:35 PM

2) It's my understanding you need to change the ballast as I don't believe the fluorescent ballast will accommodate LED.
This may have been my problem a few months back, I bought a twin pack of LED bulbs to replace my 48" fluorescent in two different fixtures. One of them lasted three hours and the second went spitz/poof two seconds after I flipped the light switch back on. Twenty two bucks down the drain. Looks like the guy on the Delta flight was **** outta luck. My buddy talks once in a while about his uncles up in the farmland, who would go out in the early evening with a sack to pluck sparrows from their nest in the eaves. My mom clubbed ground hogs for an occasional dinner. If the cat caught a rabbit, they would take it from him the problem was, he quit bringing them up near the house, so they started giving him some of the rabbit, and all was good.
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Running On Empty

I caught a ground hog one year & ate it. Kinda fatty, although I caught him in late fall so he was already carrying his winter fat.

EDIT: This was in Northern Illinois; so, yes he was a fatty.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 5th, 2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 02:17 PM

Norm, Metal building Advice please I've decide to erect the metal roof 1st and later come back and install siding, door, windows etc, Would you install pavers before or after the roof? I, planning on sand./pavers then sweep and wet sackrete between pavers
Old September 5th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

First & foremost. Again, I'm not completely clear on your "needs". Depends on how level you want, need, intend to have the floor; and, of course the size and style of the pavers - there exists tons of different pavers. In the absolute best case scenario you'd install pavers over a concrete pad. Doesn't sound like that's how you're going. If no concrete pad under the pavers, and you want to ensure you have a level (not rolling, ups/downs) you should definitely (hate to say this) vibrate and compact the soil (adding #57 gravel then sand as an underlayment - then compact with a compactor those two aggregates). If you aren't going to create an underlayment, you should certainly compact the soil with a commercial (rented) compactor before laying pavers. If you believe it's more compacting than you need, make certain you have an underlayment of either concrete and #57 gravel + sand in the area you intend to keep and work on tractors, equipment, and thoughts to place a lift. Trust me on this if you have no concrete or underlayment for pavers on an area you "intend" to want to keep level - it will NOT retain a level.

So, you 're using a blade (tractor) to level the area? Far easier to use a tractor + blade to level the field before you install the corners & uprights.

Honestly you MUST install the metal roof first. You have to set your corner posts first. Then you have to set your rigid frame pieces, and then your wall girts in order to support your roof. Trust me on this, you are going to be far, far, far better off performing all your grading, leveling compacting before you erect the metal roof. What is the height of your building? When it comes time to create (erect) your roof, you're going to need some manner in which to tie your roof beams, purlins & girts to one another along the sides and across the length and width of the roof. Mine is concrete floor. I have scaffolding with large solid rubber wheels which made the job easy to roll scaffolding in place to fasten (remember these are nuts and bolts and braces) the pieces together. If you have no solid flooring - well, you're digging in dirt and mud and that sucks believe me.

You're fine erecting the roof, but my suggestion is get the floor done first then erect your corner posts, and rigid frame pieces and wall girts. You "could" run a compactor after the fact, but you'll be working around a good deal. Short story: Flooring first, followed by corner posts and rigid frames (which support the roof), then wall girts (which support the corner posts, rigid frames, and wall girts). The day the building is delivered, don't use a fork lift - they're terrible - to unload the truck. Use a long boom lift. They're about $350 - $400/day. Before the semi leaves after unloading, set your corner posts the same day with the boom lift - hoping you have enough laborers. The point here is this - you HAVE to have a boom lift to support the corner posts and tie in the rigid frames to the corner posts, then move to set your purlins and wall girts. The boom lift is what you need for this. Plan accordingly to make the upmost use out of that boom lift.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 5th, 2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - As a side note. I had my 30' x 40' concrete pad poured prior to bldg delivery. The large corner ANCHOR bolts used to fasten my corner posts were sunk into the corners of the concrete pad during the concrete pour; therefore, my corner posts were more easily set in place. BUT, you have to be able to set (tie-in) your rigid (roof) frames to the corner posts, then the wall girts, and any other rigid frames you have running across the roof to support the roofing sheet metal material. Are they providing any gable wall cabling? It doesn't necessarily have to REMAIN after erection, but ensure you're using it to "TRUE" your corners - from corner to corner in order to ensure your frame is straight before you start laying your roof.