The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2023, 03:08 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - The veggie plate was very good.

Keith - Thanks. Nice runaround toy you picked up.

Tee-time @ 8:26AM

Old August 9th, 2023, 03:20 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...I will be seeing an oral surgeon (November) to look at getting an implant. $3-3.5k. Cha-ching! Glad that I will be able to contribute to his retirement fund.
Dan - I have five implants. Two to secure a permanent bridge. I took out one of my front teeth (along with the supporting bone) with a face plant into a fence in our backyard when I was 12 years old. Homemade bicycle jump in the backyard. Worked great (as most of them did) except for one jump when the brake failed to lockup in time before the fence came into view. It was on my Stingray bike with old-school brakes where you have to hit the pedals hard to brake. I got caught right in the "dead-spot" with the pedals and the brakes didn't lock. Of course, blood everywhere. Mom ran out of the house, I'm standing there covered in blood, Mom faints for a moment & I'm like OK who's taking me to the hospital.
Old August 9th, 2023, 04:56 AM

Keith - That's a nice looking cart you picked up. Your dog is gorgeous, what's his/her name and how old is he/she?

Mike - I hope the new medicine works Tiger. If it works for any length of time you'll have to give me the name of it because Monty has bad itching issues too. It's been awhile now since we tried it, but Monty tried one of the newer itching medicines that's only available via injection at the vet. It seemed to work some for about a week or two, and then he was right back to wanting to lick and chew on his paws. The medicine was really expensive so when it only worked for a short time we said no more of that! Thanks for the compliment on the Club Newsletter. Ya, the President is pretty windy, but like I think I've mentioned before, he's a really nice guy. Generally the kind of guy you want for a President, hard working, good with people, gift of gab, and always has the best interests of the Club at heart. The vast majority of the folks in our StL Club are super nice people. I just wish the Club meetings were closer to me, I'd go to more if they were.

Norm - Your bicycle crash sounds eerily familiar! I was the same age and on my Stingray bike. Four or five of us neighborhood boys my age had a course around the neighborhood we would race around. One day we were racing and I tried to go around a 90° turn too fast and the centrifugal force carried me off the side of the road head-on into a brick enclosed mailbox. My face smashed into the brick. I broke my top left front tooth, took four stitches in my upper lip, and six stitches in my forehead. I was a frickin mess. The only saving grace was the dentist was able to save the tooth, still have a porcelain cap on that one to this day. Mom and Dad were not pleased to say the least!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 9th, 2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old August 9th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Good morning guys,

Well, it was supposed to be raining by now but it's not yet. Totally overcast, 74° with 95% humidity. I got out since I last posted around 0700 and detailed the sides of the car. Just the wheels, and quick dust/vacuum of the interior left. I'm hoping to go to a cruise Saturday evening and a judged show on Sunday, but right now the forecast is not great for either day. You never really have a good idea what it's going to do around here though until the day before, sometimes even the morning of. Scouts' Motto applies around here!

Wife's down the street now cleaning so I'm on pup duty. Just hoping the weatherman is wrong about the weather we're supposed to have today may contain some severe thunderstorms.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old August 9th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Running On Empty

37/41
I'll play in the 9-hole shootout this evening.
Old August 9th, 2023, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
. You never really have a good idea what it's going to do around here though until the day before, sometimes even the morning of.
It could be worse and you know exactly what the weather will be like for the next several months.
Old August 9th, 2023, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
37/41
I'll play in the 9-hole shootout this evening.
Very nice round Norm, good luck this evening!
Old August 9th, 2023, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
It could be worse and you know exactly what the weather will be like for the next several months.
In your case that is so true!
Old August 9th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Good morning guys,

Well, it was supposed to be raining by now but it's not yet. Totally overcast, 74° with 95% humidity. I got out since I last posted around 0700 and detailed the sides of the car. Just the wheels, and quick dust/vacuum of the interior left. I'm hoping to go to a cruise Saturday evening and a judged show on Sunday, but right now the forecast is not great for either day. You never really have a good idea what it's going to do around here though until the day before, sometimes even the morning of. Scouts' Motto applies around here!

Wife's down the street now cleaning so I'm on pup duty. Just hoping the weatherman is wrong about the weather we're supposed to have today may contain some severe thunderstorms.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
While I have never had a bike crash that bad, my first bicycle was some old banana seat bike that had been repainted at least twice. My second bike was a Schwinn Sting Ray Apple Krate. We gave it to a guy to put it in a museum. I'd hang it from a garage ceiling if I had it now. I then had a Wal Mart bike, and bought a Specialized Rock Hopper in 94, it's a mountain bike. I gave it to my brother, he gave it to my dad, who "put $250 in it" and messed it all up, so now I have it again in my basement. I'll work on it sometime.
Old August 9th, 2023, 12:39 PM
Running On Empty

I went through bicycles like cotton candy. At one time I had five paper routes - two were daily papers, one was a Wednesday only paper, and two were weekend only papers. I also most likely destroyed 1,000+ baseball cards during those years of having those paper routes.
Old August 9th, 2023, 01:51 PM

Heh, heh, boy's and bikes. I was 12-13 years old, riding my bike fast, trying to take a 90° turn onto a sidewalk, didn't make it, and went right into a chainlink fence. I missed the top rail and the posts, so I just got sprung backwards onto the sidewalk, no worse for the wear.
Old August 9th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Always room for one more

Chris the two medicines Tiger is on are Cefpodoxime and Prednisone. The Prednisone is a steroid, of sorts, and the Cef is an antibiotic. I thought the vet would give him a shot, but she wanted to do the pills. Fine by me, they worked rather well. They are both on Wikipedia, so look them up instead of relying on me to try to spit out what I was reading. It was all very doctor sounding.

Work ended well then I went to the credit union then went home and did nothing. Well, my friend at the credit union talks and talks and by the time I was able to break away it was about 330. Not really time to get anything started. It sure is nice out, hope the rain that's expected goes away by tomorrow afternoon.

I had the one speed Schwinn Sting Ray with a banana seat, and then a 5 speed Schwinn Collegiate. I still have the 5 speed. I couldn't tell you how many sets of tires I went through, a couple of derailleurs, a few seats, reflectors, chains. I really ought to get it out and worked on, I could ride up and down the runway.

Old August 9th, 2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris the two medicines Tiger is on are Cefpodoxime and Prednisone. The Prednisone is a steroid, of sorts, and the Cef is an antibiotic. I thought the vet would give him a shot, but she wanted to do the pills.
Thanks Mike! I still couldn't remember the name of the anti-itch medicine Monty got, so this morning I asked my wife, of course she remembered. It's called Cytopoint and it is an injection. Despite it's high cost I would have gladly paid for him to keep taking it if it would have worked for at least a couple months, but when it barely worked for 2-weeks that wasn't gonna cut it.
Old August 9th, 2023, 04:54 PM

Dan - I have five implants. Two to secure a permanent bridge. I took out one of my front teeth (along with the supporting bone) with a face plant into a fence in our backyard when I was 12 years old. Homemade bicycle jump in the backyard. Worked great (as most of them did) except for one jump when the brake failed to lockup in time before the fence came into view. It was on my Stingray bike with old-school brakes where you have to hit the pedals hard to brake. I got caught right in the "dead-spot" with the pedals and the brakes didn't lock. Of course, blood everywhere. Mom ran out of the house, I'm standing there covered in blood, Mom faints for a moment & I'm like OK who's taking me to the hospital.

Reminds me of this...

Old August 9th, 2023, 05:13 PM

Wink

Keith - That's a nice looking cart you picked up. Your dog is gorgeous, what's his/her name and how old is he/she?

Mike - I hope the new medicine works Tiger. If it works for any length of time you'll have to give me the name of it because Monty has bad itching issues too. It's been awhile now since we tried it, but Monty tried one of the newer itching medicines that's only available via injection at the vet. It seemed to work some for about a week or two, and then he was right back to wanting to lick and chew on his paws. The medicine was really expensive so when it only worked for a short time we said no more of that! Thanks for the compliment on the Club Newsletter. Ya, the President is pretty windy, but like I think I've mentioned before, he's a really nice guy. Generally the kind of guy you want for a President, hard working, good with people, gift of gab, and always has the best interests of the Club at heart. The vast majority of the folks in our StL Club are super nice people. I just wish the Club meetings were closer to me, I'd go to more if they were.

Norm - Your bicycle crash sounds eerily familiar! I was the same age and on my Stingray bike. Four or five of us neighborhood boys my age had a course around the neighborhood we would race around. One day we were racing and I tried to go around a 90° turn too fast and the centrifugal force carried me off the side of the road head-on into a brick enclosed mailbox. My face smashed into the brick. I broke my top left front tooth, took four stitches in my upper lip, and six stitches in my forehead. I was a frickin mess. The only saving grace was the dentist was able to save the tooth, still have a porcelain cap on that one to this day. Mom and Dad were not pleased to say the least!
Hi Chris -

The pup is Pepper...
She is 1yr July 17 2023 Born with a breeder and I adopted her at 20weeks old. They started some protection and obedience training with her but she has too sweet of a heart to be a harsh protector/ bull rusher, kind of a scardey cat in ways so I am glad the star keeper lined up our meeting, I keep working with her to help build the confidence she needs for fun and help watching Daddys property. She needs to work and have a job, very toy driven. Daddys Girl for sure .
Thanks for asking about her.

Keith

Here is a good one I tell.

She is a pistol with more energy to spare. She is slight in build and quick and smart as they come. I took her and my girlfriend for a couple mile trip in the trunk of the 72 Cutlass a couple days ago, Interesting when I opened the trunk the only girl happy to see me was Pepper... Hmmm
Old August 9th, 2023, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

First place nine-hole shootout.

Prednisone = one of the most common synthetic corticosteroids (derived from the adrenal cortex) prescribed around the world. Stuff is prescribed for nearly everything. It essentially suppresses the immune system & is an anti-inflammatory drug.
Cefpodoxime = belongs to the class of 1st generation cephalosporins which primarily target Gram-Positive bacteria (esp. those of the skin). Cephalosporins got their name from the fungus in which they were 1st isolated.

Immunology, microbiology, virology, biochemistry, molecular biology - I'm a freak (y'all already knew it though).
Old August 9th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Reminds me of this...

https://youtu.be/T6bZ37nexSY
Keith - First time I ever heard that song. Surprised to find Guy singing it. Kinda cool.
Old August 9th, 2023, 05:41 PM

Here is a good one I tell.

She is a pistol with more energy to spare. She is slight in build and quick and smart as they come. I took her and my girlfriend for a couple mile trip in the trunk of the 72 Cutlass a couple days ago, Interesting when I opened the trunk the only girl happy to see me was Pepper... Hmmm
LMAO 🤣 🤣 🤣
The unconditional love of a dog is certainly a special thing, doesn't get much better! She's a beauty!
Old August 9th, 2023, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

I took her and my girlfriend for a couple mile trip in the trunk of the 72 Cutlass a couple days ago, Interesting when I opened the trunk the only girl happy to see me was Pepper... Hmmm
There's a good chance I'm dumb as a rock (probably a very good chance) & that went right over my head. I'm still wondering why your girlfriend was in the trunk.
Old August 9th, 2023, 06:07 PM

First place nine-hole shootout.
Way to go Norm, nice job! 🏆
Old August 9th, 2023, 06:08 PM

It’s a statement about how dogs have unconditional love.
Old August 9th, 2023, 06:43 PM

There's a good chance I'm dumb as a rock (probably a very good chance) & that went right over my head. I'm still wondering why your girlfriend was in the trunk.
Fiction not fact with the trunk thing.... A joke... The way Chris and Kenneth put it yes unconditional love. When a women I meet says "Men are dogs"
I say thank you very much, that means We are always happy to see you, do not judge you, are loyal and protective for your well being probably to a fault. Thanks for the compliment.

Peppers Mama

Peppers Daddy

Old August 9th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Running On Empty

Told y'all I was dumb as a rock....
Old August 9th, 2023, 06:54 PM

Nice looking pup! When my folks lived on the golf course they had a golf cart that had the windows permanently attached to the top. It was kind of a pain getting in and out with them rolled up and bulky, but sure was nice when it started raining to just unsnap them and let them roll down. They zippered too so no downpour too big.

Chris that's a nice looking newsletter you guys have there. The president sure is windy.

Tiger has been on some medicine lately for his scratching. It worked real quick, but he's got to be on it for like three weeks. It's a steroid so that's probably why. First he takes it twice a day, then once a day, then every other day. He's not an easy one to take medicine, so I hide it in his food. He's pretty good at picking it out and leaving it in the bowl. It also makes him pee a lot so he goes to Mom's on my way to work. She's still sleeping when I drop him off at 5ish, so I tell him to lay down until she gets up. I have a feeling as soon as the door is closed he runs right in there.

Enjoy Hump Day everyone.
Neat memories with the golf cart you had growing up. When we were young the fun stuff sure makes us smile now.

I will post some pictures of the clean up and TLC of Peppers new buggy.

Take care Mike
Old August 9th, 2023, 07:04 PM

Chris, cool article on your Olds, I have no doubt that is your car, after reading it. Looks like you are right, next years event going to be in Springfield, Mo. Having a great time in Dayton. Gary (VC455) and his wife, Cathy, rode with us to the Air Force Museum. What a awesome place!! And they were great people to be with. Met with Gary and Joe P, Cincinnati Rick, Rallye 496 and a few other CO people last evening at hotel bar. Weather has been great, a little warm and humid but good. It is sposta rain tonight. Tomorrow we are going to a british car museum and prolly then to Kil Kare dragway for Olds racing and hopefully some SEGA gassers. Life is good....
Old August 9th, 2023, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, cool article on your Olds, I have no doubt that is your car, after reading it. Looks like you are right, next years event going to be in Springfield, Mo. Having a great time in Dayton. Gary (VC455) and his wife, Cathy, rode with us to the Air Force Museum. What a awesome place!! And they were great people to be with. Met with Gary and Joe P, Cincinnati Rick, Rallye 496 and a few other CO people last evening at hotel bar. Weather has been great, a little warm and humid but good. It is sposta rain tonight. Tomorrow we are going to a british car museum and prolly then to Kil Kare dragway for Olds racing and hopefully some SEGA gassers. Life is good....
Greg - Thanks for posting and glad to hear you're having a great time there! Sounds like there are plenty of neat attractions to occupy your time. Enjoy and be safe.
Old August 9th, 2023, 08:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Greg - Sounds like a wonderful time. Enjoy.
Old August 9th, 2023, 08:44 PM

Smile

Told y'all I was dumb as a rock....
Eh, we dog people are familiar with this joke. Maybe because our experience is it’s more reality than joke?
When I am threatened with being “in the dog house” my response is “WooHoo!”
Old August 11th, 2023, 10:03 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was CO closed yesterday? Hope everyone is doing well.

It rained hard this morning with thunder but it's nice out now. Need to put one more thing on the blue van then it's ready to ride.

About once a year I decide I need to have a Velie. Willard Velie built cars, buggies, airplanes, all sorts of things, in Moline IL. His grandfather was John Deere. The company survived through most of the 20s but there's only a couple hundred cars left. And try prying one from an owner.

We finished up quite early today, so now we sit. I'm coming in tomorrow for some overtime. That means Tiger gets to stay over with Mom all night. I'm not about to bring him to her house at 3am, though she'd probably still be awake.

I hope the rain stays away now, I have lots of mowing to do. Good project for what little of the weekend I'll have to myself.

Okay have a good weekend everyone.

Old August 11th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Hi everyone.

Was CO closed yesterday? Hope everyone is doing well.

It rained hard this morning with thunder but it's nice out now. Need to put one more thing on the blue van then it's ready to ride.

About once a year I decide I need to have a Velie. Willard Velie built cars, buggies, airplanes, all sorts of things, in Moline IL. His grandfather was John Deere. The company survived through most of the 20s but there's only a couple hundred cars left. And try prying one from an owner.
Mike - We took 2 of our grandsons river floating in inner tubes all day yesterday and they wore us out, that's why I wasn't on. We have several scenic rivers near us within reasonable driving distance.

Cool story about Willard Velie, I'd never heard of him or his cars/inventions. Thanks for posting, it's always good to learn something new! I know you're working tomorrow, but I still hope you have a nice weekend. I got out and mowed today, felt like a damn sauna out there, I'm pooped.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 11th, 2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old August 12th, 2023, 04:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here at Big D for some OT. Tiger stayed with Mom last night and I slept uninterrupted. I feel a little guilty but it sure was nice. I'd rather he be home with me where he belongs.

Supposed to be a nice day so I'm going to mow when I get home. That will be after the Awful house of course.

Greg I don't know how long you're staying at the convention but if you have some time the Airstream factory is a pretty good tour in Jackson Center.

Chris there's one big scenic river near you. The Mighty Misssissippi. Old Man River. The Big Muddy. Being from the Quad Cities I've seen the Mississippi many times. Went on a riverboat cruise that left from Davenport. Not sure I'd go tubing on it, though.

We're doing pretty good this morning, had a good head start. We should have a nice long time to sit around and do nothing. Some people will go home, but I'm staying till noon. I'm getting my full 8 hours overtime dammit.

Have a good day everyone.

Old August 12th, 2023, 05:16 AM
Running On Empty

My two favorite Missouri rivers to float/canoe are the Current & Big Piney. I studied (along w/ colleagues) several of the Mississippi River Research Pool locations from ~Pool 19 Southward studying clams, mussels, invertebrates, catfish & alligator gar.
Old August 12th, 2023, 05:29 AM

My two favorite Missouri rivers to float/canoe are the Current & Big Piney. I studied (along w/ colleagues) several of the Mississippi River Research Pool locations from ~Pool 19 Southward studying clams, mussels, invertebrates, catfish & alligator gar.
Norm - Those are 2 of my favorites also. I believe I mentioned that I used to own a cabin right on the Current, about 2-miles by river from the bridge in Doniphan. Lost it (but didn't fight for it) in my divorce, but at least my kids/grandkids will have it for life. I also have spent plenty of time on the Black, Gasconade, Big River, and St. Francis, but I think the Current will always be my favorite.
Old August 12th, 2023, 06:17 AM

Raining today, no yardwork. Time to clean house and I may work on the steering on my Monte Carlo. I don't like tubing; I do like canoeing.
Old August 12th, 2023, 11:46 AM

My dear friend in NM sent me a Roadrunner horn for my truck. As soon as I replace the lid swatch on the washer, I'm going to install it
Old August 12th, 2023, 12:17 PM

Old August 12th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Running On Empty

Roadrunners are cool
Old August 12th, 2023, 01:03 PM

Roadrunners are cool
x2!
Old August 12th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Unclear if I'll be awake to watch The Perseid Meteor Shower tonight I'm rather tired. It's forecast to begin ~12:00AM midnight (Eastern Time) tonight. Not really any street/building/ground lighting to speak of near me and w/ only ~10% lunar illumination it's supposed to be good one. I'll probably fall asleep on the couch and wake up to outdoors in the middle of the night.
Old August 13th, 2023, 02:15 AM

FWIW Coyotes are actually faster than road runners [contrary to popular opinion]