The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2023, 06:03 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
FWIW Coyotes are actually faster than road runners [contrary to popular opinion]
Well over twice as fast.
Old August 13th, 2023, 01:10 PM

This morning was coming home from walking the dogs and spotted a coyote crossing the road halfway down the block. Didn’t see him make the corner at our house. Hmmm. Got in the house and looked out back and there it was, trotting across the patio. I opened the door and started hollering loudly and it sprinted across the yard and easily scaled the 6 foot wall.

Jump forward a few hours and a neighbor down the road rang the bell to alert us that his neighbor lost a small dog to three coyotes in their back yard earlier that morning. Dang, small dogs aren’t safe in their own yard. Good thing
my two are large enough to dissuade a coyote from attempting anything.

Last edited by Fun71; August 13th, 2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old August 13th, 2023, 01:15 PM

FWIW Coyotes are actually faster than road runners [contrary to popular opinion]
I don't know, Roadrunners come with a 383 under the hood std.. I believe I read years ago, that a roadrunner can do about 17mph. Coyotes 30+.
Old August 13th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Jump forward a few hours and a neighbor down the road rang the bell to alert us that his neighbor lost a small dog to three coyotes in their back yard earlier that morning. Dang, small dogs aren’t safe in their own yard. Good thing
my two are large enough to dissuade a coyote from attempting anything.
Wow, that's scary! We have quite a few coyotes around here. We don't see as many, or hear them as often as we used to. What are scarier to me are packs of feral dogs, they will sometimes turn on you if challenged. I had to light one up with a light load of birdshot one time at my old house when I tried to shoo them away from trying to get in my garbage cans. I yelled loud at them and they turned towards me and the hackles were up on their backs and growled at me. I went straight into the house and grabbed my shotgun. Went back out, fired one shot in the air and when they ran peppered one in the ****! They did not come back.
Old August 13th, 2023, 02:18 PM

I have them [coyotes] in dens in a ditch in the back of my property. I hear them all of the time but my experience is on foggy days [ mostly mornings] they get much closer to the house and I wait for it to burn off before I let the pups out
Old August 13th, 2023, 05:37 PM

Hi guys,

Went to a car cruise at the frozen custard place just 5-miles from me yesterday evening from 3:30 until 8pm. Had a great time and the place was packed with lots of nice cars. If you want to check them out you can find them here.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...5/#post1517100

Took Momma out for dinner at our new favorite Mexican place tonight. It is only 3-miles for us. This place has the Best Nachos platters I have ever had, both in quality, quantity, and price. I've been getting what they call their Hawaiian Nachos which have Steak, Chicken, Bacon, Shrimp, Green Peppers, Onions, and Pineapple, with a ton of Queso cheese. Check out this platter of food (fork for scale) you get for $12.99, and it is loaded with the meats!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Old August 13th, 2023, 06:04 PM

I've been using aggressive yard work as exercise and haven't started running yet. Spent a few hours yesterday hauling storm debris, and five today hauling and burning. The pile is still going, normally I'd go rearrange it, but one log had poison ivy, so I used a respirator for the last pile-on and GTFOed once I threw that log on. I think I'll need to burn what doesn't burn, and stuff off my utility trailer, so one more burn. I can cut grass now. Stuff is out of hand, I think I'll run the pushmower around the perimeter, use roundup on outside of the strip, and the riding mower on the inside. I'm going to need about 6 gallons of roundup mixed for everything, it looks like. Let it go a few weeks, then haul the roofing torch around and burn it up. That, and hedge trimming, need done soon.
Old August 13th, 2023, 06:14 PM

John - That sounds like a $hit-ton of yard work. Lord I hate poison ivy, and it hates me. We were just over visiting my youngest daughter and her family after dinner this evening. She told us she is getting over a bad case of poison ivy from clearing a bunch of brush along the back of her property. She had to go get a Prednisone shot, plus other steroid pills it was so bad.
Old August 14th, 2023, 04:49 AM

Got back from Nats yesterday. Really a great time, Olds did great though pretty unusual we never had the top down. I posted some pics of the SEGA event at Kil Kare dragway that wifey and I went to on Saturday on the "OCA Nationals Pics thread. I found a day before we left that L/R wheel seal
is leaking gear oil onto brakes. I ordered parts B4 we left and they are here. I need to get that fixed before we leave in a couple weeks for the "Old US27 Motor Tour". I may take the truck on part of that...
Old August 14th, 2023, 05:21 AM
Running On Empty

I believe I have only been tagged by Poison Ivy once in my life but it was excruciating. I was tagged once while SCUBA diving a coral reef at Sombrero Key (Marathon, FL) when I inadvertently brushed my arm against a Fire Coral. I was catching Stone Crabs and Lobsters. That painful itching was excruciating, as well.
Old August 14th, 2023, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Got back from Nats yesterday. Really a great time, Olds did great though pretty unusual we never had the top down. I posted some pics of the SEGA event at Kil Kare dragway that wifey and I went to on Saturday on the "OCA Nationals Pics thread. I found a day before we left that L/R wheel seal
is leaking gear oil onto brakes. I ordered parts B4 we left and they are here. I need to get that fixed before we leave in a couple weeks for the "Old US27 Motor Tour". I may take the truck on part of that...
Greg - Glad you had a great time and got home safely from Nats. I saw your Drag pics on the Pic Thread, very cool! Glad you didn't have a gusher out of the rear seal and were able to wait until you got home to tear it down. Reports I have gotten from local Old's Club members is they all had a great time too,
Old August 14th, 2023, 06:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Coyotes. I said I wanted to get a rifle to take them out if they came around my house. Well, I never got a rifle, but they've never come around my house. I don't even hear them in the distance anymore like I used to. There's been a bunch of new construction all around me and apparently they've moved on, the other direction from me. That's fine. I didn't know you could get rid of them just by yelling at them. Low self-esteem? I know coyotes are just trying to live like the rest of us, but if they become troublesome, they got to go. I'll probably still get a rifle one of these days.

Chris I believe the 69 Barracuda could be had with or without a power top. Have you ever been to Ted's Frozen Custard? I think I asked you that before. I don't know if it's even still around. I probably told you that Ted's Frozen Custard got me lost in St. Louis in 1995. My plan was to follow Route 66 all the way from Chicago to Santa Monica. The route is very well marked all the way through Illinois, and I was reading/following directions from this book that was some sort of directional aid(this was the days before Mapquest). Just as I got over the bridge the book stopped giving directions and launched into a story about Ted's. At that time the route was not marked well at all in Missouri and I got turned around and lost and I threw the book out the window. Got on the interstate and never looked back.

I just looked and Mapquest started in 1996. And before anyone asks, Google Maps started in 2005.

So far this summer I have not gotten into the poison ivy. Though I haven't been doing much yardwork. I was in the store the other day and saw Witch Hazel. I've heard of it but didn't know what it does. It's for skin irritations and the like. I wonder if it would be better on PI than Calamine lotion.

Greg it sounds like the convention this year was a success. I haven't been to one since 1987. Drove my rusty Cutlass from the south side of Chicago up to Lansing with a friend of mine. I didn't do any convention things, just looked at cars for a couple days then went home.

Work started out smooth this morning, hope it keeps up. Gonna be a busy week in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Constant mowing, laundry, two doctors appointments this week.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old August 14th, 2023, 06:29 AM
Running On Empty

I routinely have a 500mL container of Witch Hazel in the medicine cabinet. It works well on annoying skin irritations - chiggers, mites, skeeters, etc. Mom started using Jewel Weed extract for Poison Ivy when they retired lakeside. Surprisingly, Jewel Weed grows in close proximity to Poison Ivy. So many great custard places in Wisconsin, some far better than others. Really a tough call to say which is the best. Culver's is a good one, but many of the more local places are equally as good as Culver's if not better. Thinking of Mapquest rekindles my annoyance with the Internet Browser war between Netscape & Internet Explorer.
Old August 14th, 2023, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Chris I believe the 69 Barracuda could be had with or without a power top. Have you ever been to Ted's Frozen Custard? I think I asked you that before. I don't know if it's even still around. I probably told you that Ted's Frozen Custard got me lost in St. Louis in 1995.
Mike -.Thanks for the info on the Barracuda. Yep, we've had the "Ted Drewes Frozen Custard" discussion before, and I've had it many times. It is still around and is pretty much considered a StL landmark. It's good, but like many people I know, I don't consider it the best in StL, and it's overpriced. The place where the car cruise was held has better frozen custard for less.
Old August 14th, 2023, 06:50 AM
Running On Empty

Disgustingly oppressive heat/humidity today as it was all day yesterday. I've been reviewing/analyzing golf swings the past hour. Unclear if I'll play 18 beginning @ 12:45PM tee-time - it's that oppressive outdoors. We'll see.
Old August 14th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Very humid here right now too (80%) as it rained overnight into this morning. However, the rest of this week we're entering a period of low to mid-80's, lower humidity, and <10% chance of rain each day. This trend is supposed to extend thru the weekend and into next week. Tomorrow the high is only supposed to be 77°. I hope Kenneth doesn't reach thru the interweb and smack me!
Old August 14th, 2023, 09:07 AM

Something flung a craving on me for an Antipasto, so I made some celery, pepperoncini roasted red peppers, mozzarella cheese provolone cheese. parmesan Reggiano cheese ham salami prosciutto artichoke hearts hearts of palm Italian dressing

Last edited by Jamesbo; August 14th, 2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old August 14th, 2023, 09:13 AM

Jim - Boy that sure looks tasty! 👍
Old August 14th, 2023, 10:12 AM

I hear the reason you don't add pasta to antipasto is there will be an explosion.
Old August 14th, 2023, 10:15 AM

Something flung a craving on me for an Antipasto, so I made some celery, pepperoncini roasted red peppers, mozzarella cheese provolone cheese. parmesan Reggiano cheese ham salami prosciutto artichoke hearts hearts of palm Italian dressing
Now that' Italian, all that missing is a loaf of Italian bread.
Old August 14th, 2023, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Now that' Italian, all that missing is a loaf of Italian bread.
none to be had but I did have some sourdough

Old August 14th, 2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Very humid here right now too (80%) as it rained overnight into this morning. However, the rest of this week we're entering a period of low to mid-80's, lower humidity, and <10% chance of rain each day. This trend is supposed to extend thru the weekend and into next week. Tomorrow the high is only supposed to be 77°. I hope Kenneth doesn't reach thru the interweb and smack me!
Eh, I was happy that it stayed below 110 all weekend. It's amazing how much cooler it felt, and the AC didn't seem to work nearly as hard.

Old August 14th, 2023, 03:23 PM
Running On Empty

41/42

Jim - Nice antipasto. I picked up a loaf of sourdough bread today, as well. Going to bake a cod filet w/ a twice-baked 'tator sprinkled w/ bacon bits. I forgot to pickup some sour cream for the spud - I'll get by.
Old August 14th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Baked @ 400°F for 12' in glass casserole dish, cod sprinkle w/ olive oil, lemon juice, salt & cayenne. Rosemary garnish, sourdough bread, twice-baked spud w/ an ice-cold IZZE sparkling clementine.

Old August 14th, 2023, 04:23 PM

Talking

Norm, Looks yummy and healthy but where's the ever present avocado. BTW have you read any of this new stuff about how good Cayenne pepper is spose to be so good for many things?
Old August 14th, 2023, 04:29 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, Looks yummy and healthy but where's the ever present avocado. BTW have you read any of this new stuff about how good Cayenne pepper is spose to be so good for many things?
What was I thinking!

Old August 14th, 2023, 05:14 PM

Old August 14th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - LOUISIANA BRAND HOT SAUCE is probably the best hot sauce I have ever tasted.
Old August 14th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Running On Empty

It may not be the hottest on the Scoville scale, but my 2nd favorite hot sauce is Cholula. I like a hot sauce w/ flavor. Both LOUISIANA & CHOLULA are tops for me.

Old August 14th, 2023, 06:51 PM

I got ate up with the chiggers for walking in the grass without socks last night. I need to mow like a mo fo. Once the last burning is done, it's on to other work.
Old August 14th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
...ate up with the chiggers for walking in the grass...
That's a miserable itch. Damn.
Old August 14th, 2023, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Old August 14th, 2023, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Boy does that remind me of a hilarious true story. My cousin Jon Jaress who was the Club Pro at Tubac Golf Resort when Tin Cup was filmed there, was married on the 18th hole of Starr Pass Golf Club and Resort in Tuscon. The wedding party was actually on the 18th Green, and guests were seated just off the green. In the middle of the ceremony a guy came flying over the hill in a golf cart on the cart path headed for the 18th green. He was screaming, "He's gonna kill me, He's gonna kill me!", at the top of his lungs. He tried to make the turn off the cart path into the area of the Club House, didn't make it, and rolled the golf cart. He then ran into the Club House where he was subdued by some of the staff and held for the Police. Apparently from what we heard, the guy had gotten caught screwing someone's wife in one of the Resort rooms and the husband caught them and the chase was on. We never did see the jilted husband. How's that for a wedding ceremony! I swear to God it's all true.
Old August 14th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Running On Empty

In the middle of the ceremony a guy came flying over the hill in a golf cart on the cart path headed for the 18th green. He was screaming, "He's gonna kill me, He's gonna kill me!", at the top of his lungs. He tried to make the turn off the cart path into the area of the Club House, didn't make it, and rolled the golf cart. He then ran into the Club House where he was subdued by some of the staff and held for the Police. Apparently from what we heard, the guy had gotten caught screwing someone's wife in one of the Resort rooms and the husband caught them and the chase was on.

Old August 15th, 2023, 08:14 AM

One of my many talents. I am great Italian cook, One of my favorite's. Beef Braciole. Braciole (also spelled as Brasciole) are a typical dish from the province of Bari in Puglia.

Braciole are thinly slices of beef, stuffed with a mixture of parsley, garlic, and cheese, and then cooked low and slow in a tomato sauce. I rolled them for many years. Held together with toothpick or white cotton thread.
This is the lazy man way of making it. First picture is how it normally made. The rest is all me. The cheese is locatelli pecorino romano. It's not really a eating cheese, but more of a strong spice. Adding too much will overpower any dish.

Old August 15th, 2023, 08:37 AM

Good morning guys,

Norm - Glad you liked the wedding story, hadn't thought of it in years. My whole immediate family were all alive then and we were all there. Boy did the guests have something to talk about at the reception. Side note - As a bachelor outing 2-days before the wedding, they had a golf outing there are Starr Pass. They had a 4-man scramble and I got to play in the group with my cousin. About 80% of the other guys playing were other Club Pro's from throughout Arizona. It was really amazing and humbling to actually play with guys that make something so difficult look so effortless. It was soooo fun!

Well, tried to go out yesterday afternoon to make a quick run to Dollar General to pick up a few things and the daily driver 2017 Hyundai was dead. Had to push it back far enough to get 50amp starter/charger on it, and even with that it took several tries to get it started. Drove it for about 20-minutes and parked it in the garage again and shut it off. Immediately tried to restart it and it was dead as a door nail. Not surprising, +5-yr old OEM battery, but as often seems to be the case with modern batteries, no prior warning of impending doom. I was just glad I was at home when it died. From hooking up the charger I knew getting the battery out would not be an easy and straightforward task as there were aircleaner components that would have to be removed to get to the battery. I decided to go for it. Ran down to Walmart and got the OEM equivalent 800CCA AGM battery. Wow, $245, for a battery, they sure are proud of those suckers, even from Walmart. With the help of a couple extra hands from my wife a few times I got the peripheral parts disconnected and out of the way, got the old battery out, and the new one in, and it fired right up.

Hoping today is less eventful. Hope ya'll have a great one!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 15th, 2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old August 15th, 2023, 08:43 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - With the car running check voltage at the battery. It should test greater than 14.3V. A bad ALT won’t charge a new battery. Check it.
Old August 15th, 2023, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - With the car running check voltage at the battery. It should test greater than 14.3V. A bad ALT won’t charge a new battery. Check it.
Norm - As chance has it, I just got a new multimeter (pic), good opportunity to try it out. Easy peasy, got a reading coming out of the alternator when running of 14.27V. Should be good to go!

Old August 15th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Running On Empty

...got a reading coming out of the alternator when running of 14.27V.
Don't feel intimidated to check it again a couple times after driving for some distance. But, you should be golden.

Old August 15th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Beef Braciole. Braciole (also spelled as Brasciole) are a typical dish from the province of Bari in Puglia. Braciole are thinly slices of beef, stuffed with a mixture of parsley, garlic, and cheese, and then cooked low and slow in a tomato sauce.
Have you no consideration for others? You find enjoyment posting recipes which are absolutely delicious? The Braciole looks absolutely delicious. Molto bello!!