The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2022, 07:07 AM

What happened to the cute Asian weather woman.? This guy needs to wait till after puberty before he gets to do weather reports on the air?

Hang on guys, in a few months we will be bitchen about the sweat we are wiping a way rather than the icicles. Love 4 season, they last just long enough that i'm more than ready to see the next one in line...Tedd
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - That video was like nails on a chalkboard, why in the hell would you do that to us so early in the morning!!!!
Chris - First time you've listened to one of Frankie's weather forecasts? He's one-of-a-kind, gotta love him. As you said...

...you only have to look as far as the end of your nose to find someone whose life is much worse off...
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - First time you've listened to one of Frankie's weather forecasts? He's one-of-a-kind, gotta love him.
Yep, that's the first "Frankie" weather report I've heard. I hope you're right that he is literally "one-of-a-kind" and there are no more like him out there!
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
This guy needs to wait till after puberty...

Frankie's 38 y.o.
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:46 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
So, I take it there'll be snow in Wisconsin.
Dan - Good one. And, every Frankie weather forecast he states "Be Prepared" (of course) but also, "...order your pizzas & order your Chinese food..." (what a card, he is).
Old December 21st, 2022, 03:35 PM

Good afternoon or maybe evening guys,

Busy day, or about as busy as it gets when you're retired. Took the wife to do some last minute shopping this morning, have I mentioned I hate shopping. However, in keeping with Greg's reminder this morning, I did it with a happy heart, and was thankful I was able to get some gifts to bring a little holiday cheer to our loved one's hearts.

Took a couple of presents down to our closest friends in the subdivision this afternoon, the elderly couple my wife cleans house for. Had a nice visit with them for about an hour or so. Went to get in the car to leave, and immediately noticed the multi-media monitor and back-up camera were not functioning in the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Went home and started looking thru the owner's manual looking for identification of the fuse that controls those functions. The descriptions of the various fuses are very ambiguous and confusing, none of the descriptions said specifically radio/stereo or back-up camera. There were 3 or 4 fuse descriptions that mention "audio" and one that mentioned "back-up monitoring system". They were all fine, what next? Went to a Hyundai website, kinda like CO, and asked the question what to do if the radio has a stopped working. Almost immediately got a response to check the fuses which I had already done, but also got a response to do a hard re-boot on the entire ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable, and letting it sit for 15-minutes. Did as suggested and reconnected the cable, and wallah, everything was back! Certainly a holiday miracle worthy of a screenplay!

Some really sad news today, my sister called me in tears, and her "partner" went over to his Sister's home to give her her Christmas present, and found her deceased slumped over her laundry hamper. Total surprise, since he had just visited with her this past Sunday, and she is only in her mid-60's. No idea of the cause yet, but must have been something like a massive heart attack or aneurysm. I know the timing of this has my Sister very upset, because our Mom passed on Christmas Day, and I'm sure that was already on her mind.

Hope you all had a wonderful day, and if the bad weather is headed your way, stay safe, it's not worth being out in that crap!
Old December 21st, 2022, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Sorry to hear bad news like this anytime but during the holidays it’s more saddening.
Old December 21st, 2022, 04:56 PM

Hey Norm does this sound like we are going to get hammered, what the heck is "frontogenisis" and "gradient"

FXUS63 KMKX 212149
AFDMKX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Milwaukee/Sullivan WI
349 PM CST Wed Dec 21 2022

.SHORT TERM...
(Issued 349 PM CST Wed Dec 21 2022)

Tonight through Friday night:

The focus through the end of the week remains on the strong winter
storm that will have significant impacts through the region. Snow
will begin in the west this evening in response to a good amount
warm advection and frontogenesis, with a tight temp gradient
pushing into the area. The snow will gradually spread eastward
tonight into Thursday, as the cold front sweeps through, the main
trough approaches, and the surface low begins to deepen. The bulk
of accumulating snowfall for southern Wisconsin with this system
will likely fall this evening through Thursday, with some
lingering snow Thursday night into Friday. The higher amounts of
4-8 inches are expected across the northwest half of the forecast
area, with 3-6 inches southeast.

Winds will begin to pick up from west to east during the day
Thursday behind the cold front, as the persistent snowfall
continues. Though snowfall rates will decrease Thursday night
into Friday, winds will continue to increase during this period.
There remains a concern for high impacts with the wind. Gusts of
40 to 55 mph Thursday evening through Friday night will result in
significant blowing and drifting snow, with the potential for
blizzard conditions at times. Bitterly cold wind chills are still
expected later Thursday into the weekend, dropping to 25 to 35
below zero.

Decided to go with a Winter Storm Warning across the forecast
area, beginning this evening northwest half and mid-morning
Thursday southeast half. Though the worst of the conditions will
arrive with the increasing winds later Thursday into Friday, the
snow will get an earlier start. Still thinking there could be near
blizzard conditions at times when the winds are strongest, but
confidence wasn`t high enough to issue a Blizzard Warning.
Old December 21st, 2022, 04:59 PM

Chris, so sorry to hear of your sister's friend's sister. What a shocker!
Old December 21st, 2022, 05:02 PM

Chris it is sounds like a sad time to for your sister and her partner, thoughts and prayers
Old December 21st, 2022, 05:25 PM

Norm, Greg, and Keith - Thank you for the condolences for the loss of my Sister's boyfriend's (Jerry) Sister, much appreciated. I have never met her, but I can't imagine the horror and pain of being the one to find her like that, I really feel for Jerry!
Old December 21st, 2022, 05:43 PM
Running On Empty

Short story. Cousin (86 y.o.) of owner’s I bought my house from wasn’t heard from in several days by one of his sons. Son went to his Dad’s place (the 86 y.o.) found his Dad dead on floor next to commode, pants down. Died from aneurism pinching a loaf. Be careful out there.
Old December 21st, 2022, 05:47 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from seeing Mom. I don't thing she's still liking it there, she wants to be home, but the therapists haven't really started doing anything yet. I think tomorrow is going to be a shocker for Mom, I think they will hit things hot and heavy.

Chris that's sure too bad about that guy's sister. Funny you mention your mom passed on Christmas Day. My grandfather did as well, in 1986. He'd been sick most of that year, had a heart attack already. He was in his easy chair waiting for Grandma to fix Christmas dinner. She heard him take two deep breaths and that was it. All these years later I think I'm the only one who thinks about that on Christmas. I'm sure Mom does, but she doesn't say anything.

We are supposed to have some nasty winter weather starting tomorrow night. It's misting here already. Temps in the teens, rainy, yuck. My bro-in-law is flying in Friday evening. I may go pick him up instead of my sister. He'll be late because of the weather and the holiday travelers.

We slept in this morning but tomorrow we're going to get up and get going. I need to get a few things done while Mom is away, and the bad weather isn't going to do me any favors. Ah, winter.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 21st, 2022, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - I think a frontogenesis is like a straight-line wind where isobars stack up on top of one another as an approaching cold air mass attempts to overtake a warm air mass in VERY SHORT distance such as creation of a bomb cyclone. EXTRAORDINARILY fast development with powerful winds. Guess anyways.
Old December 21st, 2022, 05:57 PM
Always room for one more

Norm there's a doctor who thinks(thought?) that's how Elvis died. You can strain so hard it shuts down your abdominal aorta. Elvis was known to have chronic constipation.

Funny, the all-knowing I'm going to finish your sentence program didn't want to finish constipation.

Old December 21st, 2022, 06:07 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - It’s doubtful Elvis maintained anything resembling a healthy diet. Eat plenty of roughage.
Old December 21st, 2022, 06:14 PM

Mike - Thanks for the condolence on the passing of my Sister's boyfriend's Sister. That's something we've both had a close family member pass on Christmas Day. I sure hope your Mom does not get tired of the Rehab facility before she even gets started. I really hope you can continue to persuade her to stay and get the help she needs. Hang in there, I'm rooting for both of you!!!
Old December 21st, 2022, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Love 4 season, they last just long enough that i'm more than ready to see the next one in line...Tedd
I’d love to have 4 seasons. Here in Phoenix we have fall, spring, and HELL.
Old December 21st, 2022, 06:24 PM

Eat plenty of roughage.
I am imagining Jamesbo’s response to that recommendation. 😊
Old December 21st, 2022, 06:26 PM
Running On Empty

Keith and the rest of you snowbirds, be safe. Minus -46F Friday morning windchill across central WI. Fingers crossed electrical power stations stay up. Y’all up there are in for a doozie for several days.
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:03 PM

Condolences to all that have lost love ones during this holiday season, it's tough on all that are involved. I've spent many an hour in and about hospitals and long term rehab facility this holiday season and trust me there is not a single person including most of the help who want to be there.. It's not the way most of us want to check out, but we're dealt the cards we have to play and there is It's a long line waiting to be excused early. May their soles rest in peace..Tedd
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:16 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. Last night they hadn't gotten all of Mom's medications quite together and she told them, this isn't the place for me, I gotta get out of here. Suddenly one of the nurses came in with one of her pain pills, that really needed to be given out by the pharmacy, and winked. After that everything was fine. My first thought was it was a placebo. Hey whatever it takes.

There's a dry erase board in the room that has names and phone numbers and goals and whatever else, and on that board are the Wong-Baker faces. These are cartoon faces with various expressions from smiling to crying, and you choose which one best fits your pain. I think it is for the health care workers to choose their mental pain after dealing with an unruly patient.

Old December 21st, 2022, 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - First time I’ve heard of Wong Baker Faces - interesting.
Old December 21st, 2022, 07:42 PM

Tedd, very insightful observation and assessment.
Old December 21st, 2022, 08:51 PM

Chris, So sorry for your loss, May her memory be a blessing to all who knew him. I got a text yesterday from a High school friend. Lost another class mate. A really beautiful lady. Sad.
Old December 21st, 2022, 09:07 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, So sorry for your loss, May his memory be a blessing to all who knew him.
“Her”, Jim.
Old December 22nd, 2022, 02:59 AM

Norm ,Sorry Evelyn Wood done me wrong
Old December 22nd, 2022, 04:37 AM

“Her”, Jim.
Norm - Thanks for providing the clarification.
Jim - No problem, no offense, "My Sister's boyfriend's Sister" is awkward to write, awkward to read, and awkward to comprehend, especially if you haven't had at least 2 cups of coffee yet!

It's 33° right now and not doing anything outside so far. Right now they're showing the temps starting to plummet and the possibility of snow starting around 1000. We're supposed to be at my wife's scan at 0830. I don't really know what time we'll be out of there, I just hope it's before things start to get really nasty.

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old December 22nd, 2022, 04:50 AM
Running On Empty

Back to "frontogenesis" (sorta).
NPR this morning reported (via NWS) the following:

Temps in Wyoming plummeted from 43 to 3 degrees Fahrenheit in just 30 minutes yesterday
They mention record rates of plummeting temperatures across the state. The same can be expected today as the system moves Eastward. I'm thinking some temperature drops could occur at a rate faster than reported in Wyoming.
Old December 22nd, 2022, 08:46 AM

It was 32° and light freezing rain when we left the hospital at 1000. They had put down a **** ton of salt and the roads weren't slick all. We just took our time and got home just fine. It's dropped 8° in the last 40-minutes, down to 24°, with light flurries and gusting winds. Here we go, ain't gonna be pretty, just really glad we got home when we did!
Old December 22nd, 2022, 08:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Now that's a new one on me. Tracking the rate of the temperature drop. Never heard that one. I guess someone needed a job. That is pretty quick. More than a degree a minute would be noticeable standing outside.

Can't get things going this morning. Slept in, lollygagged around, now I'm at Mom's having lunch. Gonna install a bathroom faucet today after I get a couple things from the hardware store. Then I'll start painting. If this frickin' rain ever stops I need to get up on the house and garage and blow all the pine needles off.

So I told Mom I was going to try to get stuff done all day and then visit her in the evening. I don't know what my sister is going to do. I figure what's the point of me being there when she's having therapy. I don't need to be underfoot.

Okay gotta get something done. Have a good day everyone.

Old December 22nd, 2022, 08:58 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Rate of temperature drop is nothing new - meteorologists have been doing it forever - it's a normal method of measuring weather. It's essentially how you define a frontal boundary. Significant stacking of isobars define frontal boundaries. FBO offices use winds aloft (upper-level winds) forecasts derived from NASA/NWS to predict turbulence and location of jet-stream(s) for pilots.

EDIT: I meant to say NOAA/NWS not NASA/NWS.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 22nd, 2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2022, 09:19 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I think we're going to have something like this tonight. Rain starts in earnest this evening, temps continue to drop, rain ends Friday evening and temps plummet. Hope Santa has Ice Alert on the sleigh.

Old December 22nd, 2022, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I think we're going to have something like this tonight. Rain starts in earnest this evening, temps continue to drop, rain ends Friday evening and temps plummet. Hope Santa has Ice Alert on the sleigh.
Mike - I'm getting this 2nd hand, but I've heard that after the presents are all done, the Elves are offered triple time if they volunteer for the de-icing crew!
Old December 22nd, 2022, 12:40 PM
Always room for one more

Okay all you technical types. I need to replace a light switch in my hallway. One light fixture, two switches that operate it. What kind of light switch do I need? I was at the store and they had about 50 different kinds.

I was fully irritated at Lowe's today. Couldn't find what I wanted, everything was made in China, no one to ask any questions, couldn't find anything. Oh and no checkout people, only self check. I'm profoundly against self check. When I left the woman wanted to see my stuff and my receipt. I said, if you were that interested you should have checked it out yourself. She just looked at me.

Okay! I'm in a funk. Maybe if I get this faucet changed I'll feel better. Damn I wish the sun would come out.

Old December 22nd, 2022, 12:56 PM

Mike, Do you mean you have 1 switch at each end of the hall? Then just a regular switch
Old December 22nd, 2022, 01:24 PM
Always room for one more

Ya that's what it is. This is called a single pole? Who the hell knows. I hate electricity. I don't hate having it, I hate working with it. Been zapped too many times because I don't know what I'm doing.

You know what annoys the hell out of me? When the light is off and one switch is up and one is down.

I had an instructor in A&P school that told us a light switch is digital. We all carried on, thinking digital was the way the numbers were on the clock. Nope, digital is a thing, it means on or off. The light switch is either on or off. Don't know why it was so tough for us to get it. This was the same teacher(he was from Pakistan), after I took a year off school came back and he said, your friends go away, and you come here. Oddly enough I knew exactly what he was saying.

Okay I'm rambling. Haven't done a thing today. Gonna go see Mom in a little bit.

Old December 22nd, 2022, 01:31 PM
Running On Empty

Jim? Mike needs a three-way switch which has three terminals. A pair of “traveler” wires travel from switch to switch. A common light switch is a single-pole switch with two terminals and two wires (not including ground wire) connected. The toggle is labeled ON and OFF. A single pole switch controls a light from one location. A pair of three-way switches controls a light from two locations. The toggle is not marked (ON) UP and (OFF) DOWN on three-way switches. Three-way switches have three terminals and three wires (not including ground) connected. A three-way switch controls a light from two locations.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 22nd, 2022 at 02:27 PM. Reason: doh
Old December 22nd, 2022, 01:44 PM

Mike, Listen to Norm, I would have thought differently but he knows whats what If you use a regular switch and one end is off you re going to have to go to the other end of the hall to turn it back on my bad
Old December 22nd, 2022, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

A three-way switch in the U.S.A. is referred to as a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. It is used to control a light fixture from two locations. A SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switch is used to control a light fixture from one location.