The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2022, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The chicken man is a very sad story...
Yes, He helped alot of ladies who owned designer chickens coops. He never did anything really wrong One of his brothers told me at the funeral. We knew he wouldn't die in a old folks home but we never expected this . The funniest thing he did when his property flooded was paint on his roof HELP FIMA. He really was a caring soul. He told the news crews to stay back before he blew up his house [and himself]
Old December 17th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Yes, He helped alot of ladies who owned designer chickens coops. He never did anything really wrong One of his brothers told me at the funeral. We knew he wouldn't die in a old folks home but we never expected this . The funniest thing he did when his property flooded was paint on his roof HELP FIMA. He really was a caring soul. He told the news crews to stay back before he blew up his house [and himself]
My closest friend (Mark, now deceased) lived just off Alpine in an apartment while attending John Marshal Law School (1994-1998).
Old December 17th, 2022, 03:27 PM

My closest friend (Mark, now deceased) lived just off Alpine in an apartment while attending John Marshal Law School (1994-1998).
Interesting. I wonder if he knew The chicken man. Roswell [like most areas around here] has gone from a small town to a sprawling mega city
Old December 17th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Interesting. I wonder if he knew The chicken man. Roswell [like most areas around here] has gone from a small town to a sprawling mega city
I don't think Mark knew the chicken man; he knew of the house down the road where the chickens lived. Mark told me about a bunch of roosters he hated since they often woke him (and everyone) up in the morning. Mark flunked out of law school his 2nd year in East Lansing, MI. I helped him find his apartment in East Lansing, move to East Lansing; and, then find his apartment in Roswell & move his tired A$$ from East Lansing>Roswell. I most likely visited with him in Roswell 9-10 times during the early>mid-90s.
Old December 17th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Actually had a successful day today. Slept in and skipped the Awful house, but then went there for lunch. Was gonna go over to the line room but remembered some group was filming a TV show and didn't want to get into all that. They probably would have put me to work. I did drive past the airport and saw an army helicopter. It looked like a Huey but had four blades.

Cleaned out the garage at Mom's a little today, and messed around with the Suburban. Did some laundry. Helped Mom with a couple things. Went back home for a minute and heard the helicopter running, so I drove over and saw it hovering above the field. Pretty cool.

Jamesbo I must have missed something. Who is the chicken man and why was there such a big turnout for his funeral? I remember some years ago someone blew himself up but didn't have anything and you donated a lot for him to be buried in. Is tomorrow's big funeral for the chicken man as well?

So no joy with the Suburban. I charged the main battery for a couple hours, and it spun over real good but wouldn't kick. I'm going to try some starting fluid tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll have to have it hooked somewhere. It's bad enough when Tiger thinks I have too much money but when an inanimate object thinks that, well that just sucks.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old December 17th, 2022, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Bought one, hopefully it's decent.
Dan - Great, hope you enjoy it. Highly suggest you closely follow the directions I gave to Greg above for the best cooking results.
Old December 17th, 2022, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - What year Suburban? One or two glow plugs? How many miles on Suburban? Glow plug(s) ever been changed?
Old December 17th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Always room for one more

Okay now I'm really confused. The chicken man apparently is who I was thinking about before, I remember the part about him blowing himself up. That was what, 5 years ago? What does that have to do with a giant funeral today?

Norm the Burban is a 90. 6.2 that someone put a Banks turbo on. I don't think it even works. No idea how many glow plugs it has, I thought it was one each cylinder. I'm sure they're original. The odometer is showing 81000. It has the sixth digit(that's a zero) so the 81000 is original.

Old December 17th, 2022, 08:42 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Ooops. I forgot a critical word. I meant to say does it have one or two glow plug "relays"? My bad.
Old December 17th, 2022, 09:43 PM

MIke What I was trying to say was todays turn out may be bigger. Its rare to have 100+ cars./bikes
Old December 17th, 2022, 10:04 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I looked it up. You have one glow plug relay (built into the glow plug controller for all 1990 6.2 diesels). "Generally" a faulting glow plug relay/controller will produce excessive either white or black exhaust smoke during a failed compressed ignition. "If" you're producing either white or black exhaust smoke the most likely candidate is a bad relay/controller which does not produce enough heat for combustion. So, "generally" if you see either excessive white or black exhaust smoke during ignition it means you're getting fuel (which is NOT igniting) and the fuel mixture is not hot enough to ignite. If you see no smoke at all - check you have fuel making it to the engine.

I think the glow plug relay/controller (ACDelco D1777 Glow Plug Relay GM 560580) for a 1990 6.2L is located on the driver's side, rear engine block (or thereabouts). If relay/controller has no continuity, replace the relay/controller since no glow plug is getting juice. Of course, it's possible someone re-wired the glow plug relay/controller system with manual overrides for which I'd have no recommendations. Having a Banks turbo would have no effect on the ability to start the engine.

Pretty picture of your relay/controller.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 17th, 2022 at 10:08 PM.
Old December 17th, 2022, 10:20 PM
Running On Empty

Bloody heck it's 70°F in the house & I'm cold. Took a very long nap & was cold when I laid down. Working outdoors with wet cold hands for several hours I guess. Sometimes it's hard to shake the chills. Two times in my life I've had the absolute worst chills. Once I'm glad I didn't die the other I'm glad I didn't lose any digits. Boy Scouts (12 or 13 years old?) with some stupid treasure hunt deal at like zero degrees outdoors. My fingers and toes suffered terrible frostbite - absolutely excruciating. I think they fired the Scoutmaster when many parents found out & complained. The 2nd time was in H.S. Toboggan went too far downhill as we traveled over the ice on an ice-covered creek when the ice broke & my friend & I fell into the water - not deep but we were covered in water up to our waists. The walk back to his parents house was ~1/4 mile. Luckily we didn't freeze to death.
Old December 18th, 2022, 03:31 AM

Norm, I hope you didn't catch something. Id recommend chicken soup and a fat girl to warm you up
Old December 18th, 2022, 04:42 AM

Mike, I don't know how far you want to check into the Diesel, but if you can see where the glow plugs are (similar to where the spark plugs would be if gas) Then you can pull off the wire and check for continuity to the ground ( head or something easy). Should be some amount of resistance( dunno). If one is open it is bad. This is a different animal I know, but when I worked as a mechanic for a utility we had a Ford F450 with 6.9 Diesel. Had to have it towed-it wouldn't start. Checked glow plugs and found 3 bad ones, Replaced those 3 and started right up. Found out that's the way it was set up, if there was not enough resistance from the 8 glow plugs the relay wouldn't even energize. So if 1 plug went bad, or 2, it might energize and start, but in that case if 3 were bad it wouldn't start at all. I would look at your owners manual to see if it's ok to use start fluid (eiether) as I said earlier my buddy used WD40 all the time in his 6.2 GM Diesel.
Old December 18th, 2022, 04:56 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Me too. Fingers crossed. I need to run to the grocery store today - soup sounds good. Should have no problem finding a fatty around here.
Old December 18th, 2022, 05:00 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - You're right. Often one or two faulting glow plugs aren't enough to stop auto-ignition. Wish I could say the nominal resistance of each glow plug but I believe each varies by manufacturer, model & year. Maybe something for me to research.
Old December 18th, 2022, 05:22 AM
Running On Empty

RA shows your GP is GM GENUINE 60G. Many manufacturers make a 60G. On the assumption you're looking at a 60G GP, the resistance is between 0.5 Ohms - 1.5 Ohms each GP. Anything greater than 1.8 Ohms you likely have a failing/faulty GP. Anything >2.0 Ohms the GP is toast.
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:35 AM

Good morning guys,

Sunny morning here, but very chilly, 19° F at 0800, and only supposed to get up to about 33° this afternoon.

Norm - I had a very similar sledding experience as a child. I have mentioned before that my parents lived on a small lake. Their lot had a pretty steep slope from the front yard down into the back yard where it flattened out a little, and then another steep slope down to the lake. The slide from the front down onto the lake was a pretty good one. The lake was Spring fed, and you could always tell where the Springs were at because they were always the last areas to freeze over. We had one of these areas close to where we would slide out onto the ice, but we knew to steer clear of it. However, one time I had just heavily waxed the rails on my Radio Flyer, and when I hit the lake ice it wouldn't turn and I ended up going right into the area of the Spring and through the ice into the lake. Luckily, just like you, where I went through was near shore and only waist to chest deep. I was able to get myself out and get back to my folks house which was only maybe 40-yds away. I got lucky, and can't even imagine having to walk as far as you did home wet like that!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Running On Empty

I remember that event to this day. And, it wasn't a trek alongside a road - it was a trek over several hills (1/4 mile) of fields covered with 2' of snow/ice. Stood in the shower for an hour and was still cold when I got out and covered in blankets.
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:53 AM

Norm Chris, I saw a movie where [I believe] Anthony Quinn [a Mexican actor played and eskimo. He killed a moose [or something] and crawled inside to stay warm
Old December 18th, 2022, 06:56 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - That wasn't Anthony Quinn. It was Richard Harris and it was a buffalo. 'Man In The Wilderness'
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:04 AM

Norm I believ were speaking of 2 different eskimo movies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Savage_Innocents
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:07 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You're right two different movies. When I saw your post Man In The Wilderness immediately came to mind.
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:08 AM

I believe Leonardi DiCaprio does the same kind of thing, but crawls inside his gutted horse, in the movie "The Revenant", when his horse dies in a blizzard, The Revanant is probably the most realistic movie I've seen in regard to depicting the brutality and hardships of living on the frontier during the late 1700 and early 1800's.
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:10 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - You should watch Man In The Wilderness (The Revenant is based off Man In The Wilderness). Man In The Wilderness is "gut wrenching". I saw it when it came out (1972).
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:12 AM

Well, In any event I'm glad you guys made it [even without a gutted moose bear, horse whatever]so we can chat on CO
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:18 AM
Running On Empty

I haven't had an Internet Cable T.V. subscription in four years. I find there is literally nothing on Cable T.V. which interests me and it is completely filled with U.S.A. marketing propaganda - it disgusts me. My T.V. is a very large CRT T.V. which works perfectly. Why would I throw away a perfectly good T.V. for a new HDMI fancy shmancy T.V. - especially when I don't even get Cable T.V.? I get all my pertinent news off Public Radio and on-line (Internet) news sources. I do have a dilemma. I have Amazon Prime which also includes Prime Video but my ancient CRT T.V. can't get Prime Video, but my huge computer HDMI monitor can. Should I move my living room davenport into my office?
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:19 AM

Chris - You should watch Man In The Wilderness (The Revenant is based off Man In The Wilderness). Man In The Wilderness is "gut wrenching". I saw it when it came out (1972).
Yes, I will definitely look for that one, sounds like one that I'd really enjoy! You bringing it up reminded me of another really good Richard Harris movie, A Man Called Horse.
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You'll find this amusing. Late Friday night, not much going on (obviously) I was reviewing some Golf Country Clubs. I headed over to Capital Country Club then to Crabapple Golf Course and went down each of the 18 holes aerial views, layout and stats. That's the course you often play is that correct?
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:28 AM

I haven't had an Internet Cable T.V. subscription in four years. I find there is literally nothing on Cable T.V. which interests me and it is completely filled with U.S.A. marketing propaganda - it disgusts me. My T.V. is a very large CRT T.V. which works perfectly. Why would I throw away a perfectly good T.V. for a new HDMI fancy shmancy T.V. - especially when I don't even get Cable T.V.? I get all my pertinent news off Public Radio and on-line (Internet) news sources. I do have a dilemma. I have Amazon Prime which also includes Prime Video but my ancient CRT T.V. can't get Prime Video, but my huge computer HDMI monitor can. Should I move my living room davenport into my office?
Norm - This may be a better and viable option for you. Apparently "Firestiks" can work on CRT TV's with a suitable adapter. Check out the following sight.
https://streamersworld.com/firetv-crt-tv/
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - A Man Called Horse was a great movie - saw that one also when it was released. Isn't that the movie where the Indian squaw is riding side saddle to the stream, gets off the horse, walks down to the stream, grabs the limb of a fallen tree, and drops her child to the ground in birth? The father (another Indian) waits patiently until the child drops, walks down to the woman, grabs/cradles the infant in a blanket then walks back to his own horse. The squaw walks back to her horse, places her foot into the stirrup, swings her leg over to mount the horse to ride away. Every girl in the movie theater could be heard going "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" exactly when that scene happened.
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:38 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks very much for the link. I reviewed the Amazon Firestick a couple times during the past couple years. I can't recall exactly why I didn't & why I haven't purchased Amazon Firestick. I believe it's time for me to look into it again.
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:42 AM

Chris - A Man Called Horse was a great movie - saw that one also when it was released. Isn't that the movie where the Indian squaw is riding side saddle to the stream, gets off the horse, walks down to the stream, grabs the limb of a fallen tree, and drops her child to the ground in birth? The father (another Indian) waits patiently until the child drops, walks down to the woman, grabs/cradles the infant in a blanket then walks back to his own horse. The squaw walks back to her horse, places her foot into the stirrup, swings her leg over to mount the horse to ride away. Every girl in the movie theater could be heard going "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" exactly when that scene happened.
Norm - Honestly, it's been so long since I've seen it, I don't remember that scene. The 2 scenes that stick out in my mind are when the Indian children are leading him around like a dog and kicking and beating him, and the scene where the pieces of antler are inserted into the 2 slits of skin on his chest, leather ropes are attached to each piece of antler, and then he is hoisted up off the ground, then spun around until the leather ropes get so tight they literally rip the antlers through the skin. Yikes!
Old December 18th, 2022, 07:59 AM

Chris - Thanks very much for the link. I reviewed the Amazon Firestick a couple times during the past couple years. I can't recall exactly why I didn't & why I haven't purchased Amazon Firestick. I believe it's time for me to look into it again.
Norm - You're very welcome. Here's one other option. My wife and I watch quite a bit of tv, we watch quite a few movies, and I love watching sports. We already had a 55-inch smart TV a couple years ago, but it was aging, and we decided to move it to our bedroom and replace it with a near top of the line 70-inch Samsung 5G QLED Smart TV, with a Harmon Kardon home surround sound system. Wow, what an incredible picture and viewing experience!!! Top of the line Smart TV's have really dropped in price the last 2-years. My recommendation is splurge on yourself and get yourself a new, extremely large, Smart TV. I guarantee you will not regret it, the increased viewing pleasure is like the difference between night and day!
Old December 18th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Don't become annoyed w/ me, but each manual I've read on the 6.2L diesel says a block heater is standard equipment. Maybe a previous owner removed the block heater (for what reason I can't imagine) and you already know it was removed? I'm NOT trying to prove anything here - i.e. you're right I'm wrong; but, I find it very difficult to believe they produced the Detroit 6.2L diesel engine without a block heater. I doubt the engine was produced for any particular division of GM some with and some without a block heater. I believe they produced all 6.2L diesel engines w/ a block heater. The standard equipment (500W) 6.2L diesel block heater was located in a freeze-plug port driver's side. The "trick" (if there is one) is finding the 110V end of the cord; and, believe me when I say some have looked (briefly) and stated they never found a block heater. I've been witness to this on a couple occasions when told a particular truck didn't have one and walked right up to the truck and after five minutes found the 110V plug - hidden (stuffed) behind the driver's side lighting housing (still wrapped - never used), located and stuck inside the grille area (from behind or in front), hanging below the grille, hanging or laying around just about anywhere. Oh well, I've beaten this to death - sorry, buddy, just having a real tough time understanding why your 6.2L doesn't have a standard block heater.

From the GM 6.2L diesel training manual:

A block heater is standard equipment to aid starting in severe weather.
SOURCE: https://matveynator.ru/f/9efda83135c...ab9a0122c4.pdf
Old December 18th, 2022, 09:39 AM

Jim - You'll find this amusing. Late Friday night, not much going on (obviously) I was reviewing some Golf Country Clubs. I headed over to Capital Country Club then to Crabapple Golf Course and went down each of the 18 holes aerial views, layout and stats. That's the course you often play is that correct?
Yep, Thats it but Im getting where I hate the Fazio bunkers
Old December 18th, 2022, 09:42 AM
Running On Empty

I saw lots & lots of bunkers. I kind of played a game with myself guessing the handicap of each hole - I was way, way off. Holes I thought would be modestly easy with a high HC were just the opposite and vice versa. Looks like a gorgeous course when maintained during the playing season summer months.
Old December 18th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Running On Empty

Made it to the grocery store w/o incidence. I tell you, when I grab a shopping cart I think I spend 10 minutes (just kidding) with the sani-wipes and disinfectant cleaning the handle; and, for good reason (today no exception). Noticed at least two shoppers wheezing, hacking & coughing up a lung in the aisles.

Jim - Bought some soup; and, more fixings for more Tabouli salad.

Guess I'll ascend the stairway to heaven (scaffolding) and get more work done while the weather is modestly good (50°F, 11mph winds, feels like temp. 47°F).
Old December 18th, 2022, 10:04 AM

Norm If you return # 4 par five has always been a bear for me, Yes the grounds guys are all 1st class and do an excellent job. A couple of them keep Callaway's for me so sometimes I'm playing with one of my own lost ***** #8 is the #1 handicap hole but it has no bunkers and the largest green Unfortunately it large deep and narrow with cliffs going off both sides BTW since you are now a resident of the south Shopping cart = Shopping buggy
Old December 18th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'll revisit Crabapple course w/ #8 in mind. A shopping buggy? I think of a buggy as something someone rides around in - maybe that "is" why they call it a buggy.

Got some great work done outdoors on the house - took advantage of some decent weather. I didn't caulk so no wet hands/fingers which helped - I painted, instead. Working on scaffolding is arduous - not so much when you're standing still but when you (often) have to move boards, move your position, get up & down on the same level constantly. Always double-checking position of your feet & hands while always managing to stay balanced. It's the balancing efforts which are tough - every muscle in your entire body tightens up every single time you make a move just to ensure your safety.

Time for soup...