The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2022, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

I haven’t had lemon bars in forever. Never made them. I haven’t eaten since breakfast - lol.
Old December 13th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I haven’t had lemon bars in forever. Never made them. I haven’t eaten since breakfast - lol.
I'll be sure to post a pic of the lemon bars when they're done! Sorry Norm, guess I'm making ya kinda hungry!
Old December 13th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

I just nuked a piece of cornbread.
Old December 13th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

Watching this new movie ‘Prisoners’ (Hugh Jackman - great actor).
please tell me y’all have seen ‘Movie43’ before.
Old December 13th, 2022, 05:24 PM

Chris, you're a wild man with that sauce.

Norm, my solution would get me banned off of here for dealing with crime in Atlanta.

I was going to grille burgers tonight, but the meat had not yet thawed, so I defrosted previously grilled chicken thighs.

Took the H/O for last drive of season. It's doing well, but needs so many things.
Old December 13th, 2022, 05:58 PM

Watching this new movie ‘Prisoners’ (Hugh Jackman - great actor).
please tell me y’all have seen ‘Movie43’ before.
Norm - Sorry to say I haven't seen it! Another one to put on the list, ya haven't steered me wrong yet!
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, you're a wild man with that sauce.
. . .
Took the H/O for last drive of season. It's doing well, but needs so many things.
John - Ya, I love spicy (hot) food, I have a cast iron stomach. I had noticed you hadn't posted to your H/O work thread since you got back from Lansing. Do you have a laundry list of projects to do on it over the winter?

I never mentioned it before, but the last 2 or 3 times I had my car out I started hearing an intermittent funny noise from what sounded like the rear 1/3 of the car. It was not loud, and kinda sounded like someone lightly hitting a hollow metal can or drum. Started out looking in the trunk thinking the spare or something else might have gotten loose in the trunk, but couldn't find anything. Then checked the entire exhaust system, front to back, solid as a rock, and no contact with frame components when manually forcing it to move in all directions . Checked the driveshaft and there's no play in it, and no clunking when shifting back and forth from drive to reverse. Jacked the rear up and checked for any play between rear wheels and hubs on both sides, there was none. Just to be safe, put a torque wrench on all the lugs, they all were fine. Still had the noise next time out. It's put up for the season now, but it is still bugging the hell out of me, and then I had a thought. What about the possibility of a loose baffle inside one of the mufflers? One of these days I'm gonna get back out to the garage and jack up the rear again, and get under and shake or bang on the muffler and see if I can make it rattle? At this point I'm still totally at a loss???
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:22 PM

I have seen that movie.
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:29 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - ‘Movie 43’ is a very peculiar, off-handed, in-your-face, contemptuous exploration of comedy. It’s no longer on Netflix (2013). I disagree with the majority of Rotten Tomatoes reviews and most often I find “reviewers” to be very dull unappreciative “dolts” who believe they know-it-all and provide little true insight into many reviews - mostly looking to puff their chests to make a name for themselves. Watch it but be warned - it’s “out there”.
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth might agree with me - it’s out there.
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Might well be muffler baffles beginning to deteriorate and resonate. I find I generally notice it is more pronounced during deceleration. A rubber mallet hammer or your fist works well trying to replicate the sound but often times the noise only happens after the muffler gets hot so banging it when it’s cold sometimes doesn’t produce the sound.
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Running On Empty

Sometimes the style of exhaust hangers can begin to wear and when heated expand and rattle a little sometimes as they shift from MANY vibrations from driving and hot/cold cycles. I like the exhaust hangers with the intermediate nylon/rubber straps.
Old December 13th, 2022, 06:59 PM

Norm - Two things from what you have posted about the sound my car is intermittently making. First, most of the time when I hear the noise I am decelerating, or at least not under much of a load (easy cruising), so we might be onto something! Second, I believe all my hangers are of the type with the heavy nylon cord reinforced rubber section between the frame portion and the pipe. I made a point of checking the condition of all of those when I was under it the last time, and they all looked good, but that doesn't necessarily mean something funky doesn't happen when things get hot.
Old December 13th, 2022, 08:51 PM

Any of y’all like/eat peaches & cottage cheese?
I prefer pineapple with cottage cheese, Have you ever tried Honey with butter on left over corn bread?
Old December 13th, 2022, 09:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Have you ever tried Honey with butter on left over corn bread?
Delicious
Old December 14th, 2022, 02:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo, that's sure too bad about your friend's friend. My only hope is that the killer doesn't get off on some technicality. Tedd so sorry about Ruby. She put up a hell of a fight.

The rest of it, eh.

Old December 14th, 2022, 03:18 AM

Tanks Mike, It takes a hell m of a 27 year old [man] to kill a 77 yea old lady with a knife I hope he ends us singing soprano
Old December 14th, 2022, 04:40 AM

Tedd, I am sorry to hear of Ruby's passing. I hope your knee can get better or a cure is on the way... Jim, man what a shame, what makes someone do a thing like that???
Old December 14th, 2022, 05:18 AM

I just found out he was recently released for serving 12 months for pulling a knife on his mother . Class act
Old December 14th, 2022, 05:26 AM
Always room for one more

I haven’t had lemon bars in forever.

Old December 14th, 2022, 06:18 AM

Have you ever tried Honey with butter on left over corn bread?
x2
Old December 14th, 2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Mike - Love those commercials, Hilarious!!!!
Old December 14th, 2022, 07:15 AM

Chris please isolate:

1: Noise when hot /cold or both?
2. Noise when clutch in / out or both?
3. Noise when only moving or both stopped and rolling?
4. Any particular gear?

That will help some. Understood that it's a next spring thing.

My H/O is in unheated garage. It probably will not get much done to it over the winter. It needs:

-steering wheel swapped for nicer sport wheel I have
-lock cylinders swapped and coordinated for correct cores per year and grouping.
-internal rear view resilvered and map light fixed.
-tach calibrated.
-clock fixed
-FM stereo radio serviced.
-8 track player serviced.
-driver's side dash vent (currently non-ac version) replaced with AC version
-correct speaker put in trunk
-find and fix trunk leak suspect under rear window trim
-find and fix wiper motor problem, think it's a bad ground on the parking relay.
-find and fix windshield washer problem while there.
-work on LH grille for better attachment, fix two broken tabs.
-replace chrome piping on bucket seats/
-change out shifter ball to correct style, have exact repro
-figure out why dash rattles.
-fix no downshift via kickdown.
-fix bad taillight connection

I think that's it.
Old December 14th, 2022, 08:10 AM

My favorite commercial is Dickens Cider
Old December 14th, 2022, 08:14 AM

Chris please isolate:

1: Noise when hot /cold or both?
I think both, but haven't specifically focused on that. I have not heard the noise just sitting with it idling, only moving. I can sit in the driveway and run it up to 2K - 2.5K-rpms and don't hear the noise.
2. Noise when clutch in / out or both?
It's an automatic, TH400. Noise does not seem to be gear specific, but most often noticed in 3rd gear when motor is on low load.
3. Noise when only moving or both stopped and rolling?
Only noticed when driving so far.
4. Any particular gear?
Mainly 3rd I believe. The noise does not seem to be connected to shift behavior. Upshifts and downshifts seem normal as they always have.

That will help some. Understood that it's a next spring thing.

My H/O is in unheated garage. It probably will not get much done to it over the winter. It needs:

-steering wheel swapped for nicer sport wheel I have
-lock cylinders swapped and coordinated for correct cores per year and grouping.
-internal rear view resilvered and map light fixed.
-tach calibrated.
-clock fixed
-FM stereo radio serviced.
-8 track player serviced.
-driver's side dash vent (currently non-ac version) replaced with AC version
-correct speaker put in trunk
-find and fix trunk leak suspect under rear window trim
-find and fix wiper motor problem, think it's a bad ground on the parking relay.
-find and fix windshield washer problem while there.
-work on LH grille for better attachment, fix two broken tabs.
-replace chrome piping on bucket seats/
-change out shifter ball to correct style, have exact repro
-figure out why dash rattles.
-fix no downshift via kickdown.
-fix bad taillight connection

I think that's it.
That's quite a list! Lots to mess with, but doesn't look like any big ticket items, unless you need to find specific parts that are hard to find. Wish you all the best luck. You're a good mechanic, all you need is the space and the time.
Old December 14th, 2022, 08:21 AM
Running On Empty

Old December 14th, 2022, 08:24 AM

John - See the answers to your questions about my noise inserted after your questions. I thought they'd show up white but they didn't!
Old December 14th, 2022, 08:39 AM

Nice!
Old December 14th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Ok, it does not seem to be an engine problem.

When it comes out for spring, try getting at speed it does it, and downshift to second, and see if it changes. I am trying to determine if it is speed dependent or rpm dependent or bumpiness dependent. Also try cruising on a new piece of asphalt for bumpiness check. I think it's a muffler.
Old December 14th, 2022, 08:57 AM
Running On Empty

I prefer pineapple with cottage cheese, Have you ever tried Honey with butter on left over corn bread?
Jim - About twelve years ago I developed a real hankering for fresh pineapple one day/week. The store pineapples I was buying were delicious. I bought two more w/in a couple days of the first one I bought & I was whoofing down delicious pineapple. I ate about two pineapples w/in two days. The third day I'm brushing my teeth and I see blood - WTF. Mouth had been very tingly but blood? First time I knew pineapple could make your tongue bleed. Bromelain (isolated from pineapple) breaks down the proteins in your mouth (in particular your tongue) - it's the active ingredient found in meat tenderizer(s). Freaked me out sorta.
Old December 14th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Always room for one more

Chris if it was a loose muffler baffle you'd hear it at idle. It would rattle and sound like pfft pfft pfft... Also, don't rule out that the noise is not in the rear. Sound travels in funny ways through a car and the noise could be somewhere else, and it just sounds like the rear to you.

One of the vendors brought in Sonny's for our lunch today. Pretty darn good. We're having another lunch tomorrow but I don't know who's bringing it or what it will be. Hey free food, I'm there.

Haven't left the bunker all morning, it was supposed to start raining, don't know if it has yet. I sure hope not. I need to get out in the yard.

Old December 14th, 2022, 09:28 AM

Ok, it does not seem to be an engine problem.

When it comes out for spring, try getting at speed it does it, and downshift to second, and see if it changes. I am trying to determine if it is speed dependent or rpm dependent or bumpiness dependent. Also try cruising on a new piece of asphalt for bumpiness check. I think it's a muffler.
John - At this point I don't think it's engine related either, or driveline (trans/shaft/rear end) for that matter. I think it's exhaust (probably muffler) or chassis related at this point. In the Spring I will try isolating further as you've suggested above. Thanks!
Old December 14th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Chris if it was a loose muffler baffle you'd hear it at idle. It would rattle and sound like pfft pfft pfft... Also, don't rule out that the noise is not in the rear. Sound travels in funny ways through a car and the noise could be somewhere else, and it just sounds like the rear to you.
Mike - Thanks for the suggestions, and I completely agree about how where sounds are coming from can often be very hard to isolate when you're riding in the car. I haven't ruled anything out yet, definitely more sleuthing to do.

Nice that they brought in lunch for you guys, sounds good!
Old December 14th, 2022, 09:41 AM

Jim - About twelve years ago I developed a real hankering for fresh pineapple one day/week. The store pineapples I was buying were delicious. I bought two more w/in a couple days of the first one I bought & I was whoofing down delicious pineapple. I ate about two pineapples w/in two days. The third day I'm brushing my teeth and I see blood - WTF. Mouth had been very tingly but blood? First time I knew pineapple could make your tongue bleed. Bromelain (isolated from pineapple) breaks down the proteins in your mouth (in particular your tongue) - it's the active ingredient found in meat tenderizer(s). Freaked me out sorta.
Good to know, but I try to limit myself before I fonder on pineapple. I had one growing pretty good in the green house. Just a day before I planned on picking it a **()))%*(&)(*) chipmunk took a big chunk out of it It was his last meal, Pebbles [cat ]took several chunks out of him/her
Old December 14th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Always room for one more

Chris here's an idea. Put someone in the trunk and go out driving around. If the noise is in the back, it will resonate throughout the trunk and whoever is back there will figure out what it is. Just make sure you don't get rearended.

So my neighbor texted me a picture of a communications truck in front of my gate at the shop. Someone got out and went back in there. My neighbor asked the other guy WTF and he said, he went to use the bathroom. So I looked up the company and called. It was some foreign guy answered(by saying hello) and I told him I didn't appreciate that man trespassing, and if I found anything missing I was going to call the police. This guy started hemming and hawing and apologizing, said he would say something to the man so it won't happen again. I was actually pretty peeved but when he said, he should know better than to do that, in his funny accent I almost started laughing. Geez what people won't do.

Old December 14th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Running On Empty

chris here's an idea. Put someone in the trunk and go out driving around. If the noise is in the back, it will resonate throughout the trunk and whoever is back there will figure out what it is. Just make sure you don't get rearended.

So my neighbor texted me a picture of a communications truck in front of my gate at the shop. Someone got out and went back in there. My neighbor asked the other guy wtf and he said, he went to use the bathroom. So i looked up the company and called. It was some foreign guy answered(by saying hello) and i told him i didn't appreciate that man trespassing, and if i found anything missing i was going to call the police. This guy started hemming and hawing and apologizing, said he would say something to the man so it won't happen again. I was actually pretty peeved but when he said, he should know better than to do that, in his funny accent i almost started laughing. Geez what people won't do.

wtf!
Old December 14th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Running On Empty

I'm going to climb some scaffolding....
Old December 14th, 2022, 11:30 AM
Jeff

Norm, I wouldn't have thought you to be a Letterkenny fan. Pitter patter...

BTW, new season starts Dec 26th on Hulu.
Old December 14th, 2022, 12:27 PM

Chris here's an idea. Put someone in the trunk and go out driving around. If the noise is in the back, it will resonate throughout the trunk and whoever is back there will figure out what it is. Just make sure you don't get rearended.
Got to con someone I don't like into being my guinea pig first!
Old December 14th, 2022, 12:33 PM

Every once in awhile the stars align and you get lucky. The damage done to my deck caused by the roofing contractor was fixed today, with nothing coming out of my pocket to make it look brand new!