The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2022, 08:30 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Don't take this the wrong way - i.e. me telling you what to do; yet, two important things to consider for an elderly Mom. Your other thread regarding you looking for a jeep made me stop to pause and think.

The elderly have a difficult time getting up from the sitting position - sitting down is less painful/cumbersome, but getting up can be a burden.

(1) Toilet seat. Either remove/replace the normally low sitting toilet entirely with a higher/raised toilet; or, install a raised toilet seat onto the current toilet - tremendous benefit; and,
(2) If considering a vehicle for (let's say your Mom) which is easy to get into and out of, consider the height of the car seat. Far, far much easier to set backwards onto a seat of the exact same height as their hips. A seat lower than the hips creates difficulties. Just talking out loud from experience with assistance.
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:31 AM
Always room for one more

Oddly enough the picture shows on my phone. That is pretty, but alas its the second gen. Biy looking at the forum on the phone is a pain.
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:35 AM
Running On Empty

This should help...

Old May 8th, 2022, 08:37 AM
Running On Empty

Trying to ascertain why Jim's link didn't post...

Old May 8th, 2022, 08:38 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I understand completely. Mom is not tall but a car seat up to her hips would be too tall for her she'd have to climb up and she cant do that. She cant lift her foot up very high. She likes the dogmobile as it is fairly easy for her to get in/get out. But we're planning a summer trip to Orlando and it wont be comfortable for her on that long of a ride, not to mention no AC.

As for the toilet, I installed the chair height one long ago...

Old May 8th, 2022, 08:38 AM
Running On Empty

Most likely failed to post the URL of the image in the incorrect location for the URL (link)...the same URL (link) posted in the correct location worked for me.
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - OK, well you got this....good on you, bud.
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:46 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - The complete file URL (link) needs to be inserted into the box identified in the following....from either a mobile device or PC...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/classic...7f6feda6b6.jpg

Old May 8th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Running On Empty

Figured out the URL (link) dilemma. The image URL (link) Jim posted has a "space" inserted into the "string". How that "space" arrived in the string is anyone's guess - but, most likely a simple fat-finger. Since the space was inserted into the URL (link) string, the space is represented by a "%" sign (by substitution), the "20" simply represents the font size. Therefore, were there not have been a space to begin with, "%20" was how the Browser interface read that string.

Old May 8th, 2022, 09:41 AM

Tanks for your help Norm

My long awaited point is, There are several [years] shades of Green that I like
Old May 8th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Running On Empty

I like both colors/shades of green, but the near Forest Green + Wood Grain is a seriously good looking buggy.
Old May 8th, 2022, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I like both colors/shades of green, but the near Forest Green + Wood Grain is a seriously good looking buggy.

Agree. I really like the wood grain
Old May 8th, 2022, 01:05 PM

Good afternoon guys,

I went to a cruise-in in at the DQ in DeSoto, MO yesterday evening. The weather was gorgeous and there was a really good turnout. I posted a thread under "General Discussion" with several pics if anyone wants to check them out.

Been busy around here today with it being both Mother's Day and our Anniversary. Both my daughters are dropping in to bring my wife cards and presents, they always call her their "Bonus Mom". My Anniversary present to her, a Great Room makeover. She's been hinting for awhile about changing the color of the walls, changing the flooring (carpet to hardwood), and a new furniture seating arrangement. I told her pick out whatever she wanted and we'll git'r done!

Sounds like everyone's having a good day, hope the rest of it's a great one for ya'll!
Old May 8th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Running On Empty

About ten years ago I remodeled (removed) a bedroom from my home & turned it into a large bathroom, double vanity sink, whirlpool, walk-in closet & tiled walk-in (8'x5') glass enclosed shower. I've been cleaning tile & grout all day - several areas require some new grout. Fun day for sure.
Old May 8th, 2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by vintage chief
about ten years ago i remodeled (removed) a bedroom from my home & turned it into a large bathroom, double vanity sink, whirlpool, walk-in closet & tiled walk-in (8'x5') glass enclosed shower. I've been cleaning tile & grout all day - several areas require some new grout. Fun day for sure.
not!!!!!
Old May 8th, 2022, 01:36 PM

Norm, Ya should really try the chicken recipe [ onion soup, French dressing and apricot preserves] This time pretend it's Bosco in your milk and stir it all up

I have a pile of cousin coming in 2 weeks and I'm going to make it smothering thighs [and this time] breast. The plan is to cut some slits in the breast so baking time of the thighs and Breast should be closer. For sides I'll be making a little Basmati rice with raisins and toasted minced pistachios , steam a pile of broccoli, and fry up sum pineapple rings and I'll be good to go

Sorta a fruity Mediterranean fare
Old May 8th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

That Mediterranean style ensemble sounds delicious.
Old May 8th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Always room for one more

I'd say Mother's Day was a success. Got to Mom's about noon, we went to the store and didn't have any drama. Came home and did nothing. It was nice. We really didn't have a lot of time to do nothing, we took quite awhile at the store. No rushing around. Mom didn't want to cook so she got a frozen pizza at the store and we had that. Now, Mom does not like pizza, so it was odd that she suggested it. But it was good and even she said it was good. I came home early because I knew I needed to put the cover back on the Imperial before tomorrow, and I'm going to get to bed early and try to go in for overtime.

Turned out to be a beautiful day. Not real warm, but I liked it. Hope it continues. Tiger would go out and run around then come in and nap. Then he'd go out again and run around and then come in and nap. Oh, the life.

I'll save looking for a new car for work tomorrow. If I started now I'd be up all night. Oh, also two Impala's in Birmingham. Geez that's just a blink from here.

Okay the new week is upon us. Best of luck with it.

Old May 8th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Spent all weekend cleaning my home office. Cleared all stuff out of the furniture, moved a gun cabinet, shelf set in the closet, desk, secretary, table, a bookshelf, and my main PC. All floor got vacuumed then sprayed and wiped down with wood wash. All old wood furniture (desk, secretary, table, bookshelf) got the furniture polish. PC got disconnected, wiped down, blew out, reconnected. Rotated my rug/swivel chair pad 180. Cleaned the windows, blinds, frame. Wiped down the ceiling fan and the main light shade. Now to reload all the stuff in the hallway; might clean on the closet and room doors.

Here's some wooden furniture pictures. The desk is probably from the 60s, my father got it in place when he bought out the previous dentist in his office. 60 years of dentistry planning on it. Holds all my gear well; has some dings, but way too nice to refinish. Secretary is from grandma's house. She probably got in the 60s, no idea on age. It's cherry; tag in a drawer says Willett Wildwood Cherry. I normally keep magazines (the gun kind) in small rubbermaid boxes in the drawers, and whatever on the shelves. I intend to use it more. It would've died under the tree had I not rescued it two years earlier, it was at ground zero corner. The table is from grandma's too. I keep a printer on it. Has water marks.

Old May 8th, 2022, 08:11 PM

John - All nice old pieces, I especially love that Cherry Secretary, a really pretty piece. I'm really glad you saved it before it met it's demise!
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:15 AM

Mike, Between funerals, I'm gonna make a bridge plate for my jeep 3/2 [ 2 for jeep 3 with trailer]

I've got plenty of yellow paint, If ya need one for your deuce and a half , let me know what numbers you want on it

Nice furniture John

Old May 9th, 2022, 09:14 AM

Well I am depressed. Watched the weather this morning and saw this, which killed any good mood that may have been lurking beneath the surface. I thought it was hot yesterday and it was only 94 degrees.

In the words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, “I’m getting too old for this $h!t.”

Old May 9th, 2022, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well I am depressed. Watched the weather this morning and saw this, which killed any good mood that may have been lurking beneath the surface. I thought it was hot yesterday and it was only 94 degrees.

In the words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, “I’m getting too old for this $h!t.”
Kenneth - That sure ain't pretty and doesn't bode well for you guys! I sure don't envy you! We're looking at highs of 93° - 95° tomorrow through Thursday, anything over 92° any of those days will be an all time high!
Old May 9th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Good evening guys,

So, I'm wondering just how many of you are aware of this credit card scenario? I know I sure as hell wasn't. On Saturday evening I was coming home from the car cruise and I was running close to empty, so I pulled into a gas station only about 5-miles from my house. Ran my card through the pump card reader and it was declined. Wiped the chip off and ran it again, declined again. I thought it was just the pump reader, so I went inside and they ran it twice in there, declined, declined! Well, I was just damn lucky I had stuffed $50 in my wallet before leaving the house that afternoon. I went home and immediately got the big VISA card services on the phone and they said my card had been shut down because there had been more than 10 transactions within the last 24-hours, and that it would not reset until midnight. I said 10 transactions, how in the hell can that be? The representative started reading them off. There were 9 transactions alone from Walmart. Well I had the representative on speaker phone, and my wife heard that, and commented she had placed one order from Walmart with 9 items she had purchased for the home or her furniture work. For whatever reason, whether Walmart did not have the items in stock and had to get them directly from the supplier or what, Walmart had broken her order of 9 items into 9 separate transactions. Then I had got food at DQ and that put me at 10 transactions. When I stopped for gas, I was already at the limit. My question is, did you guys know there is a transaction limit per 24-hour period on credit cards, even though you're nowhere near your card limit??? In my opinion that's just nuts, if I hadn't had cash in my pocket I would have been screwed. I then called my card services representative at my credit union this morning, and she confirmed what the big VISA representative had said. I told her that in this age of Covid with people doing alot more online shopping, that 10 transactions per 24-hour period is not reasonable, and she agreed 100%, and said she would take my complaint forward. I got a call back from her this afternoon to let me know that a change was already in the works to raise the limit number from 10 to 25.
Old May 9th, 2022, 05:55 PM

Chris, Never heard of such a thing
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Never heard of such a thing
Jim - I sure as hell hadn't either, I had smoke coming out of my ears when I spoke to the big VISA representative Friday evening.
Old May 9th, 2022, 06:10 PM

I sure hope Mike didn't crash his deuce and a half through a bridge because he didn't have a bridge plate showing how many tons the vehicle weighed

Old May 9th, 2022, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Who is “big VISA” you refer to? VISA CORPORATE headquarters or “your bank” VISA representative?
Old May 9th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Chris - Who is “big VISA” you refer to? VISA CORPORATE headquarters or “your bank” VISA representative?
"big VISA" is the VISA corporate representative you get when you call the Member Services phone number on the back of your card. I talked to them Friday evening immediately after the incident. I then talked to my VISA card representative at my Credit Union this morning.
Old May 10th, 2022, 04:22 AM

--Mornin' guys. I am having a odd situation with a Visa gift card. The neighbors on lake asked around and collected some cash to give to my wife after the kidney transplant. They ended up getting 400 bucks! So they went to a Rite Aid and bought 2 "Money Debit cards" one for wifey and one for her niece- the donor- $200.00 each. Very nice gesture. Anyway, we went to a market and loaded up with some small trees and plants, etc, made sure it was over $200. Found out card had to be activated. Wife tried to activate it using her phone at store. She stopped when they asked for her SSN. Meanwhile all this stuff was loaded on carts, etc, so we paid with another card, and left.
--Got home and tried to activate card on computer, I also didn't want to give SSN to a unknown place. Name of place was GreenDot. I searched on Google how to activate GreenDot card without using SSN. Found a youtube video of a gal explaining to use all 1's or 0's in 9 digit SSN and also make date of birth less than 18 years old, I was hesitant to do this as you are entering false info ...So I did that and supposedly got it activated and it took a pin# and I got a verification Email, etc.
-- Wifey goes to another store and buys more stuff for yard and it is declined, Then she takes it to our Credit Union to get cashed and they can't do it. GEEZ Lousie!!! You guys ever seen such a hassle!!???
Old May 10th, 2022, 04:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning from Big D.

Went to the car show at Summit last night. One Oldsmobile. A 67 four door hardtop Cutlass Supreme. Funny, this car sat in the junkyard for years and years, I remember seeing it, and then someone bought it and got it running and has a ball with it. It isn't in terrific shape but it's solid, and hey it's back on the road. Very cool. Got back to Mom's to pick up Tiger and sat and watched a rodeo for awhile. Got home late and hit the sack.

So I've been sitting here over an hour with nothing to do. One of the other wall guys called out today so my wall guy went to work in his place. I'm not sure if he'd rather work there than with me or if the one clown instructed him to. The guy I got now is a slacker, and a short-timer, so he doesn't give a $hit and is slow and wanders off a lot. Eh, I'm still getting paid.

Sorry Jamesbo I forgot to respond about the bridge plate. I'd never even heard of one. My truck weighs less than a semi. So does a Jeep.

John love the secretary. I've got a desk about the size of yours that was my Dad's, I'd love to have it refinished one of these days. I like the look of natural wood. I should live in a ski lodge.

Well joy of joys. I have work to do. I have a feeling this is going to be a long day. Happy Tuesday.

Old May 10th, 2022, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Sorry Jamesbo I forgot to respond about the bridge plate. I'd never even heard of one. My truck weighs less than a semi. So does a Jeep.
It was those rural bridges throughout the UK that the US Army used them for...while on training missions at night, in the dark in BO conditions, the guards posted at each end of a bridge were tasked with NOT letting some idiot in a Sherman or a CCKW with a trailer, or whatever.....attempt to cross and damage a bridge. By installing the bridge plate, the guards only needed to shine a flashlight on the bridge plate and they could let the vehicle pass if it's COMBINED weight of the vehicle/trailer did not exceed the bridge weight rating.

The damage pissed off the locals to no extent until this procedure was initiated due to damaged bridges built in the time of King Arthur's Court. Hwey, if the Brits needed them then the Yanks did too.

When units reached France it became doubly important as damaging a bridge an advance had to use or the Red Ball Expresss used to bring gas, ammo, food, parts, etc. forward could screw up things badly. I'd hate to have been the driver of a Sherman that decided he didn't want to ford a stream and ignored the bridge guards and damaged a bridge Patton would have his gasoline delivered to him over....

If your jeep was in a field unit that trained in the boonies in the UK before D-day it should have one. If it took Generals from the base HQ to London to chase skirts it might not.

With the Germans quickly learning that Sherman's can't swim very well, they were pretty effecient at blowing most bridges ahead of the advancing Allied forces.

You can make them out of anything...the tops or bottoms of gallon canned peaches or lard with some yellow paint and black numerals and...voila...you have a field expedient bridge plate.

Those of us in the States didn't need them....we knew where the "good" bridges were and most were built after General Sherman's March To The Sea anyway so they could support more than haywagons. Therefore, you don't find jeep grills with holes drilled for a bridge plate but they are found with license plate mounting holes.
Chuck Lutz

Old May 10th, 2022, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Hopefully you'll get this worked - hopefully. I understand your hesitation to provide your SSN, but there are stringent requirements to activate these types of cards - in particular cards which can be used to negotiate ATM transactions, on-line shopping, etc., etc. It's not like a Dunkin Donut gift card, etc. You may have already contacted GreenDot but at this point, I believe your only avenue is to call GreenDot and explain how you "tried" to activate the card. Since you entered false information you're obviously at the mercy of GreenDot to properly activate the card. That gal who created the YouTube video (which I'm going to attempt to find) is a **** Waffle of the nth degree. Good Luck!

Old May 10th, 2022, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
You guys ever seen such a hassle!!???
Greg - Very nice gesture by your neighbors, and I hope you are able to get it worked out. I am assuming there is a contact number on the back of the card. Unfortunately, I think the only recourse at this point is to contact them and see what can be done, good luck!
Old May 10th, 2022, 07:08 AM
Jeff

Greg, one more tip: because those cards can be a hassle to use, I typically wind up taking them and buying... an Amazon gift card! This way, you can use every last cent on the card, without running into issues trying to spend down the whole thing. Some cashiers (I'm being generous... actually MOST cashiers) are not trained properly on how to use two cards to pay for a transaction. I got so sick of this, that I discovered the Amazon method, and voila!
Old May 10th, 2022, 09:53 AM

Well my old mower finally went Tango Uniform Got a new John Deere Z 790 coming in tomorrow
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Got a new John Deere Z 790 coming
Sweet...
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:01 AM
Running On Empty

You're sure that's a 790 or a 970?
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:08 AM

I swept half of the garage out yesterday, assembled my car dollies, jacked up the Olds, slid the dollies under the tires, and moved it sideways to sweep the other half. I had to squeeze between the Olds and the wall, as the passenger rear tire had gone flat, so I aired it up. Also explains why I couldn't push it forward a couple of months ago. I copied a page from my sevice manual which shows the proper way to install the radiator support bushings, so I'll put the radiator support in shortly. First off to the phramacy to pick up my Flo Nase prescription, I really need it at this time of year. Looks like a sweet mower ya got there Jim.
Old May 10th, 2022, 10:20 AM

You're sure that's a 790 or a 970?

Fat fingers and dyslexia 970

You are correct

As they say in the accounting business "Nice Catch"