The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2022, 08:30 AM

Matt - Norm's right, looks very nice, and will be beautiful when you're done!
Old April 30th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

Brunch - Mediterranean Style

Old April 30th, 2022, 09:49 AM

Norm, Looks yummy. I'll be right over
Old April 30th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I already have a place-setting for you.
Old April 30th, 2022, 11:11 AM

I went and bought a couple of bags of topsoil this morning to spread over an area that the city dug up in my front yard last year. They just threw grass seed on top of the sand that they dug up. I spread it around, and quickly realized that I underestimated how much topsoil it would take to cover it. went back, and bought three more bags, spread another bag into it, and then seeded it. I was going to get out my spreader, and seed the front yard, but it started to rain, and I didn't need grass seed sticking to the spreader. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, so I'll finish it up after work. Got the second booster shot yesterday, a sore arm and a headache today.
Old April 30th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I had no reaction(s) to the first three shots. After getting my 2nd booster three weeks ago it knocked the dog $hit out of me the following day - achy, headache & blah. Lasted only one day.
Old April 30th, 2022, 03:49 PM

Old April 30th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Well played…well played.
Old April 30th, 2022, 04:02 PM

Kenneth - LMAO - great t-shirt! 🤣🤣🤣
Old April 30th, 2022, 06:03 PM

Ran 5 gallons of used motor oil, some old paint, and some old polyurethane up to the plant for the hazardous chemicals turn in day. Went to the grocery store, came home, had lunch. ALMOST made it out of April without mowing, but I aired up the tires, poured in the gas, and spent most of two hours on it. Then I fired up the pushmower, got the areas that are hard for the rider, and got done. Even mowed the low area that I cleared two years ago. A pushmower can mow grass in mud, but you have to stand on dry ground and push it out and pull back. As a storm was coming, I stopped. Got my new grill going; the old one had a bad grease fire last week to the point of melting plastic down into burning drips onto the sidewalk. Same model, I use cheap Coleman Roadtrips and get about 5 years out of them. I did transfer the grilles as the new ones are thinner and they gave me one grille and one griddle anyway.

Need to go find a gas cap for my van, I lost the old one. Want to take it to Cars and Coffee in the AM.

Old April 30th, 2022, 07:03 PM
Always room for one more

Well it turns out I didn't get a thing done today. Mom and I went to the credit union first thing to open new accounts for her. We were there three hours! The bank lady is a friend of mine and we talked and visited and then it was time for the place to close(noon) so we went to Awful house. Then I went to the shop to get the 57 Chevy out of the hangar and down to my friend's. I had envisioned pulling it backward with the tractor past the Corvette and into the yard. In reality the Corvette is right in the way and also an Oldsmobile needs to be moved that I can't get to start. Didn't have an air chuck to put air in the Corvette's tires. No problem, I'll cut down some small trees and clear out a space for cars to go in. No gas or oil for the saw. Went to Home Depot for an air chuck and a few other things. By the time I got back it was almost 5. I almost didn't go to the CU today because I knew even though they closed at noon it would take up the whole day. I wasn't wrong.

So there is this persistent wasp that keeps trying to build a nest inside my mailbox. There is a long screw going through the door and he always is perched on it and then flies away when I open the door. I tried spraying the inside of the door and box with wasp spray, thinking it would keep him away. Nope, he keeps coming back. Then I was ready for him with the spray and got him and the door, but either he survived the spray or his next of kin has taken up for him. Sometimes there's another one in there as well.

So Jamesbo, this leads me to a southern-type question. I've always heard people with big wrap around covered porches on their houses should paint the ceiling turquois and that will keep wasps from building nests on them. If I painted the inside of the mailbox turquois would that stop them? Why don't wasps like turquois?

Not making any plans for tomorrow. They probably wouldn't get done. I feel like this next week is going to seem long. We really, really need to do a 10 hour shift.

Bedtime. I'm beat and I didn't do anything.

Old May 1st, 2022, 03:18 AM

Mike,

It's not turquois it's sky blue. Why not just close the flap?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/blue-porch-ceiling/
Old May 1st, 2022, 05:58 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Jamesbo that's a good article. I suppose any creature with a brain the size of a pin head would think a light blue ceiling was the sky. That is unless said creature is colorblind. The door on the mailbox is closed, but there are holes in the bottom of it, presumably for water to drain out, that they get in. Funny, I've never, ever had wasps inside my other mailbox. Maybe if I just took that screw out of the door.

Looks like rain. Overcast and kind of dark. Not gonna plan anything for outside today. Shopping and recovering from shopping is probably all I'll do today.

See ya's

Old May 1st, 2022, 06:19 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Insects cannot see red. Have you thought to put a dab of silicone into each hole/orifice to close the hole? Toss some cloves inside the mailbox - wasps hate cloves & they have an extraordinary sense of smell.
Old May 1st, 2022, 06:59 AM
Always room for one more

I have considered closing up the holes. I might try the cloves as well. In fact I need to do a complete mailbox makeover. Sounds like a worthy project.

Old May 1st, 2022, 07:10 AM
Running On Empty

I have no issues w/ wasps in my mailbox - although, I did have to upgrade the attachments where the mailbox attaches to my post about 5 months ago. I have one of the larger mailboxes which can easily accommodate larger packages. Here's a nice slantflat theme very becoming to you if you're considering a complete mailbox makeover.

Old May 1st, 2022, 07:12 AM

Mike, Lehman catalog has the best ( Industructable) mail box
Old May 1st, 2022, 07:22 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, Lehman catalog has the best ( Industructable) mail box
Jim - I almost bought one from them. I'm on a rural/USPS contract route, but not far enough out of town where teens w/ baseball bats or mailbox run-down old beater cars provide entertainment for our youth.
Old May 1st, 2022, 07:36 AM

https://www.lehmans.com/product/worl...ghest-mailbox/
Old May 1st, 2022, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I have considered closing up the holes.
I suggest using something that will let the water drain. Maybe glue a square of window screen over the holes.
Old May 1st, 2022, 01:00 PM

I have mud daubers in mine and need to replace the POS.
Old May 1st, 2022, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Last eight episodes began Friday, 29 April. I have two remaining.

Old May 1st, 2022, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Last eight episodes began Friday, 29 April. I have two remaining.

https://youtube.com/shorts/kW6mcNyWXjc?feature=share
That's my girl! We watched one episode Friday and one last night, probably one or two more this evening. Wish they would keep it going, but pretty soon all the characters will be dead!
Old May 1st, 2022, 04:57 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I like the supercharged mailbox. I suppose each bank could be slant, but not much flat about it! !!!

Jamesbo that mailbox weighs 29 pounds. I also see that it is out of stock.

You know I've always wanted a Sherman. Though they are upwards of a million so I doubt I get one any time soon. But, I thought it would be neat to park it behind the mailbox and run a string from the cannon to the back of the mailbox.

Kenneth I don't think rain gets in the box but one never knows. Screen would be sort of like mocking the wasps. I could paint it red and they wouldn't see it and slam into it.

Koda those were some nice Cars and Coffee pictures. My favorite was the Belvedere. I love 67 Cutlasses but when they are triple lemon, ug.

Got a few things moved to the house today after Walmart. Turned out to be a beautiful day but it's a little muggy out now. Haven't heard what it's supposed to do this week. Hopefully not rain.

Okay bedtime in a few minutes, bring on the new week I'm ready.

Old May 2nd, 2022, 02:44 AM

Good Morning.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 03:06 AM

Good morning, Dan, and all. Weather finally feels like spring, not really balmy but nice. We are actually in a very high fire danger the last couple days very unusual for April/ May. Been working on truck, got back front fenders from the body guy, they look great, much better than I could have done. He asked for $500 for repairing rust and straightening both. I gave him $550 and consider it a bargain, especially after I repaired the rust on the leading edge of the hood- a real PIA! Got coolant overflow tank on Cutlass. Cut down 2 small pine trees that were too close to barn- actually left them up 2-3 feet, then pushed stump back and forth with tractor bucket, then wrapped chain around them and pulled stump and roots right out of ground. Fun to be doing things outside! Wife is doing great, though the medicine makes her shaky. We now only have to go to Ann Arbor once every 2nd Thursday, still have to get blood labs done here every Monday.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 03:33 AM
Running On Empty

Good Morning.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 03:50 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Pine trees (mostly Loblolly) are the most predominant trees in this area of the North Carolina piedmont region. They're easily uprooted in high winds (esp. hurricanes/tornadoes). Having a tap root system, they don't have deep tap roots because of the water/soil characteristics - permanent water resides ~3' below the surface - so they don't need to grow deep to find water. Towering 80'-100' behemoths have tap roots only 6'-8' below the surface with many lateral sap roots in very small diameter of the tree trunk. You can pop them out like removing a toothpick from a sandwich - easily toppled.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 04:02 AM

Greg,Glad your wife is on the mend

Norm, I'm still waiting on you to go buy sum carb meat and avocados

Mike, How often do you bench press your mailbox?
Old May 2nd, 2022, 04:05 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - The crab meat/avocado is a WIP (Work In Progress)...patience.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 04:20 AM
Always room for one more

Old May 2nd, 2022, 08:54 AM
Jeff

John, I had one of those Coleman Road Trip grills when we had a camper. Wife found a barely-used one for sale that had the roller bag and two sets of plates: two grilles, two griddles. We bought a 5th plate that was more like a cooktop burner plate for cooking in a saucepan. Got a lot of use out of it in the 3 years we had it, sold it for about what we bought it for after selling the camper.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:52 AM

Yeah, Jeff, they're ok for what they are. I'm a single guy that likes to grill outside, so if I can get from lit to burners off in 15 minutes on a steak, then I can eat, that's all I want. I do agree charcoal is better, but I want something I can use every day, quickly. I figure I'll get five years out of this one.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Weather finally feels like spring
Spring, huh? We blew through that months ago and now we're getting into triple digits. Ugh. I'm not ready for this again.

Old May 2nd, 2022, 01:18 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Fun71
Spring, huh? We blew through that months ago and now we're getting into triple digits. Ugh. I'm not ready for this again.

Y'all gonna be outta water soon, anyway.

In all seriousness, wth is the southwest going to do when all those reservoirs run dry? Sure looks bad for the immediate short-term. Lake Mead's original intake pipe is now exposed and unable to take in water. Good thing they put a new one in on the bottom of the lake in 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ad/9585175002/
Old May 2nd, 2022, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

We're in the monsoon season, raining today and high probability of more tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. The only decent forecast is for Wednesday. I wouldn't want all those triple digits though, that's for sure.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
We're in the monsoon season, raining today and high probability of more tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. The only decent forecast is for Wednesday. I wouldn't want all those triple digits though, that's for sure.
I'm glad I got my mowing in before it rained. Parts were a foot tall.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm glad I got my mowing in before it rained. Parts were a foot tall.
Glad you got it knocked out! Crazy right now, cool temps and rain almost every day, mine needs mowed about every 4th day or it's a PIA. I mowed last Thursday afternoon, and now will probably not be able to get to it until Wednesday. I'll definitely have to set the deck up higher than I like just to keep from making a mess.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 02:43 PM
Running On Empty

39/39

Jim - I just purchased fresh crabmeat & fresh avocados. What am I making?

My two brothers have these enormous grilles with enough gas burners to cook for a county fair. I've never owned such a beast. I've owned charcoal Weber Kettle grilles my entire life.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
39/39

Jim - I just purchased fresh crabmeat & fresh avocados. What am I making?

My two brothers have these enormous grilles with enough gas burners to cook for a county fair. I've never owned such a beast. I've owned charcoal Weber Kettle grilles my entire life.
I do have an old weber kettle in a storage unit from grandma's.