The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2022, 05:17 AM

Chris, sounds like wife is doing better. Everything is white here again- UGH! April 27th!
Old April 27th, 2022, 05:36 AM
Running On Empty

Spring has been canceled move directly to summer.
Old April 27th, 2022, 06:57 AM

Good morning guys,

John - Nice job at the Appleseed course, really nice for those young men to get some 1st class instruction in shooting and history.

I'm wondering where Spring has gone too, it's still getting down into the low 30's at night here, no frost, but still much cooler than it should be. I know we're going to go straight from 60° highs to 85° or 90°.

My step-daughter, the one that moved back from California, is coming to pick my wife up this morning and they are going shopping. My wife is still under the weather from her cold, but believes she is turning the corner. They are going over to the daughter's house after shopping, and I will probably have to make the 2-hour round trip to pick my wife up sometime in the early evening. What's this mean for me, I will be on dog duty all day.

Hoping to get back out to the garage and keep moving forward with finishing up the 4-4-2 detailing. TBD, we'll see how it goes around here.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 27th, 2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old April 27th, 2022, 07:12 AM

Stuff is growing at my house. Fighting ants and weeds. I laid down the law with 8 gallons of Round Up Super Concentrate mixed about 20% hotter last night. Got the driveway sides, anything growing on the gravel driveway, the ditches, and around the house. Also some vines on the fence.
Old April 27th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Koda
Stuff is growing at my house. Fighting ants and weeds. I laid down the law with 8 gallons of Round Up Super Concentrate mixed about 20% hotter last night. Got the driveway sides, anything growing on the gravel driveway, the ditches, and around the house. Also some vines on the fence.
As much as I hate to use Roundup due to Monsanto being a terrible company, nothing works as good to kill weeds. Or anything you don't want growing in a particular area, for that matter. Just gotta remember to wear gloves because that stuff is so toxic.
Old April 27th, 2022, 09:34 AM

43 degree morning turned out warm enough in the afternoon to get my hour in on the range. Getting there slowly
Old April 27th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Running On Empty

That a boy, Jim.
Old April 27th, 2022, 11:16 AM

Norm i found a new recipe I'm going to try this weekend. Bone in chicken thighs baked covered with a mixture of French dressing, onion soup mix and apricot preserves.
Old April 27th, 2022, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm i found a new recipe I'm going to try this weekend. Bone in chicken thighs baked covered with a mixture of French dressing, onion soup mix and apricot preserves.
Jim - Decided to go low calorie/low fat I see . . . NOT!
Old April 27th, 2022, 11:59 AM

Chris, "If it takes good spit it out, it'll kill ya"
Old April 27th, 2022, 12:04 PM

Chris, "If it takes good spit it out, it'll kill ya"
Yes, but if I do that, I'll die of starvation, because just about everything tastes good to me!
Old April 27th, 2022, 01:19 PM

WTF happened to Spring
It was last Saturday, if you blinked, you missed it. Now I know what those red ***** are for.
Old April 27th, 2022, 01:25 PM

My grandmother used to say that, growing up, they said, when summer comes, they hope it was on a Sunday. This was in northern Minnesota.
Old April 27th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Nice job, John.

Jim - You're new recipe sounds 'interesting'. I look forward to your appraisal.
Old April 27th, 2022, 04:51 PM

Found this on the Nat' Geo page.
Old April 27th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Always room for one more

Howdy doody.

Work was long and tedious today. There was a computer update last night and it wiped out certain parts of my profile, and suddenly my autofill for the forms we use stopped working. One other guy had the same problem. He called IT and was on the phone forever. They said it was in the computer itself, and someone would have to come and look. Of course they were much too important to come today, so the alternative was to type in the long and stupid references each time. Because if we don't put the Maintenance Manual reference each time the FAA will think we are just working *****-nilly. Honestly, they approve our maintenace manuals, they audit our operation so they know what we are doing. And I'm quite sure no one has ever seen that reference and said, gosh, I better go look this up just to make sure. The other guy is a clown and said, I'm not writing that out every time! And switched with someone and he then did nothing all day.

John good on you for teaching that class. Those boys are now a step or three ahead of other boys who haven't taken the class, in regards to discipline and of course marksmanship. Some of those shooting didn't look that young... Which one was you?

So I might have said that the ridge vent on the house has been ripped up. The roofing guy came today while I was at work and ran a drone up there and took several pictures and sent them to me. He's working up an estimate. The ridge vent on the garage is okay but he said it looks like it will depart sooner rather than later as well. They can do whatever they want, my insurance is paying for it, past the deductible that is.

So Jeff what makes Monsanto a bad company? That they make poison that kills the people who use it, or are they shitty to their employees?

Gonna hit the sack. No overtime tomorrow, I don't want to mess with that computer any more than I have to. It isn't as bad as the clown says it is, but if the company needs those wheels as bad as they say, then they will get someone over to fix the computer. If the computer isn't fixed, well, the wheels won't get done as fast. Seems obvious to me.

And Hump Day is over. Till next week.

Old April 27th, 2022, 08:26 PM

I was the one behind the camera.
Old April 27th, 2022, 08:50 PM

Well great pictures. And also a good job of conducting this event and instructing / educating folks! It sure looks like a lot of fun to me, wish I could have been there. I see a lot of glass optics - I thought Appleseed was open (iron) sight oriented?

Last edited by Fun71; April 27th, 2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old April 28th, 2022, 02:44 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I went back to Jacksonville, NC to play Camp Lejuene (USMC) golf course (they have two 18 hole courses - I played the Gold Course, a very nice course & facility) a couple weeks ago. Today I head back to Jacksonville to play Jacksonville CC. I played it once last year for the 1st time, it's "OK", nothing to write home about. This is a separate group of old geezers I play with (I think there are ~50 players) - Tidewater Senior Carolina Golf Association [TSCGA] - a pretty decent group of geezers. It provides me more opportunity to play a variety of courses w/ a variety of formats all w/in ~1hr drive from home.

Shotgun 9:30AM

Old April 28th, 2022, 03:58 AM

Norm, At my age I am focusing on playing courses that you don't need a step ladder to get in and out of the bunkers. I have a cousin that's a member at Coosa in Rome, Ga. Love the place. Not a single bunker is over 2 feet deep

My [our ] Fazio course is a PITA if you hit the ball onto the beach

A few years ago [actually many] I built a subdivision in the middle lf Sett'in down Creek golf Course. When we bought the land, it turned out that they [by mistake] had built their 18 tee box on my property. They didn't want to change the "Integrity? of the golf course] so we worked out a deal where they didn't have to move it

Fast forward to Fazio designed course. After about ten years of operation. Some Board members as Fazio if he thought any changes needed to be made. [Which IMHO is like asking an interior decorator if you should paint a room a different color.] He suggested rip up 50 acres of Bermuda and plant it in natural areas [read can't find the ball areas] Which they did
I guess some folks thing the " Integrity of the golf course" is important and others don't

Headed Norte. I miss my jeep
Old April 28th, 2022, 06:34 AM
Jeff

Monsanto is such a large corporation, they have significant control over the seeds that farmers plant. They will take samples of farmers crops, and compare the genome to their seeds. If there are any similarities, they take that farmer to court. There are a few documentaries out there on the topic. Often, it is large farms that have been using their own legacy seeds, but if you have a Monsanto-using farm nearby, of course you likely end up with cross-pollination. This is the basis of Monsanto's lawsuits against farmers. Also, Roundup causes cancer, there are plenty of lawsuits (so much so that law firms advertise on tv specifically for them). Hence my comment about wearing gloves and being careful handling it.

Some people take issue with GMO's, and I will admit that I did at one point. I was undergoing allergen testing to determine what was going on with my digestive system, and I have plenty of grain sensitivities. But, I am also allergic to poultry and shellfish, so I'm genetically flawed already. Now, I'm more of the opinion based on further reading (and the results of my blood tests) I have done that GMO's likely have nothing to do with my food issues. Nothing severe that I cannot manage by avoiding certain foods.
Old April 28th, 2022, 07:49 AM

Headed Norte. I miss my jeep
Jim - Safe travels, have a great weekend!
Old April 28th, 2022, 11:33 AM

Mike, I put a cut off switch between my 2 batteries so I can charge 1/2 of the 24 volt system at a time

How do you keep your 24 volts systems charged,?
Old April 28th, 2022, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, I put a cut off switch between my 2 batteries so I can charge 1/2 of the 24 volt system at a time. How do you keep your 24 volts systems charged,?
A big A$$ alternator w/ two 12V batteries in series. Although you "could" employ two alternators. My diesel (tractor) F-250 has two 12V batteries. The reason it has two 12V batteries is because it takes significant cranking amps to rotate this beast of a machine.

EDIT: Ooooops. Thought about his after my response. My two batteries are wired in parallel. I apologize and you can beat me up.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 28th, 2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old April 28th, 2022, 03:53 PM

Good evening guys,

Pretty busy day. Wife went shopping yesterday, so I thought I'd do a little online shopping for myself this morning. Picked up the following:
1. A custom Covercraft dash pad for my 4-4-2 to protect the pad when it's sitting in the sun all day at shows.
2. Some 303 Brand rubber and vinyl protectant to treat my rubber door seals, vinyl interior surfaces,, and my vinyl roof. 303 Brand was the most highly recommended product for vinyl and rubber by members on this sight.
3. A 4-4-2 baseball cap and a tank top with the front end of a '67 4-4-2 on it, both to wear to shows.
4. A '67 4-4-2 Facts and Features Manual sold by OPGI.

After my online shopping spree I did my cardio workout, then rested about an hour, and then went out and mowed. Then I helped my wife move some furniture she sold up from the basement to the garage. I've had all the fun I can stand and I'm pooped.

Hope ya'll had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 28th, 2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old April 28th, 2022, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - What are you running (supplying voltage to) which requires 24V?
Old April 28th, 2022, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well great pictures. And also a good job of conducting this event and instructing / educating folks! It sure looks like a lot of fun to me, wish I could have been there. I see a lot of glass optics - I thought Appleseed was open (iron) sight oriented?
Appleseed is rack grade rifle oriented. The idea is to shoot 4 Minutes of Angle accuracy, which means 1" at 25 yards, 4" at 100, and 16" at 400, so that you can be effective in a military sense to that range. While the score for the Rifleman patch is 210 of 250, it can be done with either. The Distinguished novelty patch is for 230 with irons or 240 with scope, and the 250 patch means 250 any way you can get it. I forget how they work on the hits count style we use on the known distance events.

All that being said, we know everyone's eyes are not the same power or age, so, if someone wants a scope, that is fine. We do recommend shooting at lowest power.
Old April 28th, 2022, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
All that being said, we know everyone's eyes are not the same power or age, so, if someone wants a scope, that is fine. We do recommend shooting at lowest power.

When blackpowder hunting for Elk or Mule Deer in Colorado, only open (iron) sights are allowed, they can be fiber optic illuminated, but no scopes or laser sights are allowed. So, both my black powder rifles (54 and 50 cal) only have open sights. The last couple of years I went out there, around 2009/2010, my near vision was starting to go, as well as my far vision which has been bad since I was a boy. When both your near and far vision are bad, it is very hard to get good focus on 2 near objects (iron sights) and a distant target at the same time. At that time I could still consistently shoot a 4" group with both rifles at 100-yds., but it was getting challenging. I doubt that I could do it now that I need progressive lens to correct for both.
Old April 28th, 2022, 04:59 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Beautiful day here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Temp was perfect. It's still chilly in the mornings but I've gone sans jacket all week. It gets cold in the shop because the robot guys have fans going, but I learned early this week the fan is a good thing, since the lead isn't there and someone has stink bomb spray that they think is funny to spray all over. If I find out who has it they are getting followed home and the **** beat out of them.

Jamesbo I don't separate the batteries in the Deuce. I believe my batteries are in series beacuse there is only one jumper that goes from one to the other. I suck at electricity so what do I know.

Jeff Monsanto sounds like they are the same caliber as McDonalds and Volkswagen. McDonalds will threaten to sue if anyone has a McXXX anything, because they think it will ruin their good name. Huh their good name. Volkswagen will sue if you use the letters V and W anywhere near each other and if you call anything a bug they will sue, even though they don't have a trademark on the word "bug." Because obviously people will automatically think Volkswagen when you are doing a science project.

One more to go. I hope it's an early one. I want to get a few things done at Mom's so I can work at the shop on Saturday. I've been slacking all week and really need to make some progress. I just get so tired after work and when I sit down in the overstuffed recliner that's it for me.

And that's it for me for this evening.

Old April 28th, 2022, 05:42 PM
Running On Empty

Series Connection - Voltage is additive (Amp Hours [Ah] same) - Cables; negative-to-positive e.g. x1 12V 50Ah battery; x2 12V 50Ah batteries = 24V 50Ah; x3 12V 50Ah batteries = 36V 50 Ah; x4 12V batteries = 48V 50Ah
Parallel Connection - Amperage (Ah) is additive (Voltage same) - Cables; negative-to-negative e.g. x1 12V 50Ah battery; x2 12V 50Ah batteries = 12V 100Ah; x3 12V 50 Ah batteries = 12V 150Ah; x4 12V batteries = 12V 200Ah

Simple Stuff

Old April 28th, 2022, 06:19 PM

So, I just got an email from Hagerty Classic Car Insurance that surprised the hell out of me. I have my 4-4-2 insured with them. Hagerty has "Agreed to Value" policies, meaning in the case of a total loss they will pay out whatever you and they agree to upfront as the value of your car. Last fall, based on my own independent research of the huge price increases of 4-4-2's I was seeing online, and using their online tools, I raised the valuation of my car by around $12K. I thought Hagerty might balk, but they didn't ask for pictures or any additional documentation whatsoever. Then I get this email today, letting me know their research team believes my car is "Undervalued", and that I should consider raising my valuation another $1.6K. Man, that surprised the heck out of me! They think I should raise it to a value that is 65% higher than what I bought the car for 2&1/2-years ago. I really lucked out that I was able to buy my car when I did, I wouldn't shell out the dough folks are asking for them now.
Old April 28th, 2022, 08:18 PM

John,
Thanks for the explanation / info. Years ago I went through High Power Service Rifle qualification, shooting an M1 Garand open sights at 200 yards standing then sitting, and 600 yards prone. Wow, was that ever fun!

As Chris said, as I got older I had to start wearing glasses and open sight shooting became a bit more difficult. Several years ago I wanted to get back into air rifle shooting but was hesitant due to the aforementioned issue. I read some reviews about the Williams peep sight (very similar to the military sights) and folks said they could see the target very well due to the aperture acting as a lens. So I ended up with one on a Benjamin 397 and all I can say is WOW! They were right, I can see the sight up close and the target at a distance. Now I can shoot as well as when I was a kid.

My target setup is a 1 inch diameter orange sticky dot on an 8x11 sheet of paper at 50 feet from the firing line. I got some nice groups using this Williams sight.

Last edited by Fun71; April 28th, 2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old April 29th, 2022, 12:51 AM

Norm, the M 38 A 1 was built with a 24 volt system. ( ww ll jeeps had 6 volts) i really don't know why. Perhaps it has something to do with the waterproof electrical system. Eddie ran some new stuff ( blinkers, windshield wipers) off a new box that is 12 volts

Although mine doesn't have the data plate for fording options nor the intake and exhaust snorkels. The rest of the electrical system is still waterproof
The spark plugs wires are bolted onto the plugs

Since it's now in the mountaimountains, i thought a trickle charge would be helpful. Separating the batteries was the only way i knew how
Old April 29th, 2022, 03:54 AM

Here's the baked chicken smothered in French dressing, onion soup mix and apricot preserves.

Different but very good

Old April 29th, 2022, 04:16 AM

Chris, I think Hagerty wants you to insure your car as high as possible. You and I and most collector car owners are very low risk and we take good care of our cars. Short of a theft and never recovered car they will never have to pay out the max. Seems like once or twice they have asked me to increase the value on mine, last time I did. If your car is worth $40,000 ( I dunno, just a #), you insure it for $40,000 for $400 a year ( again just a #) . Then you bang up front end and have $15,000 damage they will pay to get it fixed. So you decide to insure it for $80,000 for $600 a year ( maybe) and have the same accident and they pay to fix the $15,000 damage. Or you have no accident and they just get a extra $200 a year from you. Multiply that by however many customers they have and that is huge!
Old April 29th, 2022, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I recall viewing the new turn signals & new wiper motors & I remember peering into the battery compartment looking for rust but it never dawned on me whether the system was 12V or 24V.
So the M38A1 was designed & built to operate as a 24V system. OK, that's fine. It may make a difference understanding why but regardless it was built as a 24V system.

I recall viewing a brand new electrical wiring connector/bank on the firewall (LH driver's side). Eddie may or may not have told me what wires the new connector/bank was designed to accommodate - I don't recall.

OK. So, sounds like a little investigative wiring review might be in order to see how the system is wired so you can move forward. It's obviously a pretty darn simple machine which can easily be traced and figured out. If I were on your side of the fence I'd want to know how the wiring supports either a 12V system, a 24V system or both so you have this information moving forward. Will most likely take a little time to trace the wires, but nothing insurmountable.

I think your first task is to develop a simple wiring diagram which I'd be happy to assist with. I can create it in PowerPoint with or without the correct colors or without colors. I'm not certain why you separated the two batteries with a cut off switch between the two batteries. You said so you can charge 1/2 of the 24 volt system at a time but I don't understand why or the need to install that cut-off. None-the-less, we can move beyond that by creating a wiring diagram which demonstrates the 'why' part (in theory at least), but again, you should start with a simple wiring diagram of the current wiring. I wish you were closer in distance since I'd love to figure this out with you & it wouldn't take that long.

First question which would help, but again you're going to need to develop a wiring diagram moving forward is this:

Before you disconnected the wires between the two batteries. Can you make absolutely certain the wires between the two batteries were wired in "series" or in "parallel"? Or throw this one out there, you can wire batteries in both series & parallel; thereby increasing both voltage & amperage. Maybe a picture (in focus) would assist. At this point I don't believe it's necessary to determine what wires of the electrical system (blinkers, wipers, starter, etc.) are connected to where, but it would be critical to determine how the batteries were connected together before you installed the cut-off switch e.g. negative>negative; negative>positive.
Old April 29th, 2022, 04:41 AM

Norm the new fuses panel your talking about is what Eddie installed for the wipers, and turn signals ( original wipers were vacuum and there was no turn signal) I'll give you another ( hopefully better) picture soon. He has a red wire running off 1 battery going to the new 12 volt panel

Everything except the wipers and turn signal signal on an M38A1 is 24 volts. Cables run positive in, negative to positive ( connection between batteries) negative out

I'm not sure if it was necessary to disconnect the batteries. ( it's not on my boat but they are operating 1 or the other at 12 volts) i just thought it might be getting a better charge 2 at a time. I could be wrong
Old April 29th, 2022, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, I think Hagerty wants you to insure your car as high as possible. You and I and most collector car owners are very low risk and we take good care of our cars. Short of a theft and never recovered car they will never have to pay out the max. Seems like once or twice they have asked me to increase the value on mine, last time I did. If your car is worth $40,000 ( I dunno, just a #), you insure it for $40,000 for $400 a year ( again just a #) . Then you bang up front end and have $15,000 damage they will pay to get it fixed. So you decide to insure it for $80,000 for $600 a year ( maybe) and have the same accident and they pay to fix the $15,000 damage. Or you have no accident and they just get a extra $200 a year from you. Multiply that by however many customers they have and that is huge!
Greg - I think your analysis and rationale is spot on. Insurance is all about one thing right, risk, your risk and the insurance company's risk. Like you said, there's not much risk with us old geezers, and our driving record is out there for them to see. It just blows my mind they're encouraging clients to insure their cars for more than they're worth to get paid higher premiums. I honestly don't think I could sell it for what they're encouraging me to insure it for. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, my renewal date is not until November. I'm thinking I may just wait until then and decide if I want to raise it again???
Old April 29th, 2022, 08:25 AM

There’s so much I don’t understand about the 70’s…. Was this a thing?

Ignore the stolen wheels. That’s a south memphis thing

I shouldn’t he hateful. I kinda want it now…
Old April 29th, 2022, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
There’s so much I don’t understand about the 70’s…. Was this a thing?

Ignore the stolen wheels. That’s a south memphis thing

I shouldn’t he hateful. I kinda want it now…
Matt - OMG . . . That's absolutely nuts! Don't know you can blame it on the '70's though, I was in Highschool '73 - '77, and I never saw anything that crazy! Maybe that's a South Memphis thang too! Not dissing on you Volunteers, both sides of my family hail from the east side of the state.