The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2021, 06:33 AM
Jeff

G'morning, folks.

Aside from the friggin' rain this weekend, fairly productive. All the jetskis are winterized, and the rebuilt one came back to life as well. ALWAYS check your intake grate first. Had a root from something stuck in there, and was preventing the impeller from proper rotation. I swear I checked the intake previously, but oh well. The fuel filter and plugs needed to be cleaned, anyway, and didn't take that much time. Also, sold Goldie Hawnk, the old LeSabre that was originally my daily driver and then my son's first car. Will now be able to buy my Dad's '14 Sierra, and can put the Enclave up for sale.

Oh, someone mentioned reliable riding mowers. These ain't it...

My Craftsman-branded Yard Bug

Cub Cadet-branded Yard Bug (this was when my brother-in-law was trying to fix it, and it has since migrated to my garage to be Parts Bug)
Old October 4th, 2021, 01:01 PM

Koda, I like your van. The hill climb reminds me of the event in England, where they roar up the one mile long driveway of Lord March's estate. For the life of me I can't remember the name. I hope to make it over there one of these days. Saw a '54 or a '55 Ford F100 pulling a small travel trailer yesterday on my way to Menards. Looked to be in very good shape. "The Goodwood Festival of Speed" is the event in merry old England.
Old October 4th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sun was out a little while this afternoon but now it's cloudy again. It's supposed to rain all week so this is not surprising. Not a bad temperature.

I thought maybe I could shame the bad guy into taking my inspection place today. Nope. Last week he faked a groin injury, and this week it has morphed into a pulled back, which will be bad indefinitely. He isn't going through Workman's Comp so the lead will let him fake this forever. That pisses me off. But hey, if it's that easy then oh my, my back is killing me...

Koda is your van original or did you paint it and whatever else? Greg some friends of mine have a Chevrolet Greenbrier with the factory camping kit installed, and they go everywhere in it and camp. When their daughter got old enough to be by herself, they bought a custom wooden teardrop trailer and tow it. You can always get a VW Campmobile, the one with the pop top, if you have a small fortune. Those are priced in the stratosphere these days.

Jeff I thought those were my pictures. I flip off everything. Note to self: don't get a Yard Bug you'll get flipped off.

Guess I'll wind down so I can go in early tomorrow. I already know there won't be anything to do, but if they want people to come in, so be it. I'm surprised we're still doing overtime, but it can't be for much longer so I'll take it as long as I can.

Oh so I went to buy a 40ft container today, but the guy says you need to wait because they are very expensive, since there are so few of them and they're all out to sea not being able to be unloaded. So here's a question, what's a good alternative to a 40ft container for storing garage type things in? I already went the school bus route, as it were, and was awarded with plenty of grief from the yard ****'s. The container is around 3500 plus tax and delivery. I had thought about old shitty travel trailers but those are not cheep enough and I'd need more than one. Such a state.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old October 4th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Did you call Jenco in ATL (Newman)?

https://www.jencosales.com/
Old October 4th, 2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Koda, I like your van.
I really like it too, cool machine!
Old October 4th, 2021, 08:00 PM

Be advised, my van is the green one on the left. My dad bought it new after getting out of the air force, and, before going off to be a private practice dentist, drove around the country camping while being in the company of various women, the last being my mom.

Its original color is seapine green, like this one. The grille was never chromed like this one, the chromed grille and bumpers were for the Club Wagon...Deluxe, I think, and the Chateau, which was super pimp option, also had stainless steel trim around windows and rear lights. That van was there as I was a kid; I never laid eyes on the backseat, which was stored upstairs under stuff, and my father used it for a haul-all. Everything from buckets of rock to Christmas trees, to his 86 Quadtrax 250 Honda (which barely fit, but DID, along with an old door for a ramp). He had it painted in the 90s by some shade tree dude out near Dade City who painted his friend's Bronco. My dad actually owns that Bronco as Carter is deceased now, and the green of that Bronco is not the same, even though my dad wanted that green. This is more blue, and more metallic. It's a shitty paint job, and the body has some rust now. You can see the original color on the inner metal inside. The grille had the blacked out faux spaces like the chrome one does here, but was the original green.

I hauled it up to IN with Dad in 16 behind a Budget truck. I take it to car shows. It's needed a master cylinder, battery, and some carb work since then. 302 V8 with 4.11s...70 is top end. It likes doing 50. Brakes are fair, steering has some play. 3 speed on the column over the shoulder shifting. It will get restored after my 442...someday. Right now, slow idle is too slow, and it loads up sometimes.

Old October 5th, 2021, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Be advised, my van is the green one on the left. My dad bought it new after getting out of the air force, and, before going off to be a private practice dentist, drove around the country camping while being in the company of various women, the last being my mom.
John - Love the van even more after hearing the backstory. Lots of great memories in that baby for you. My Uncle (Dad's youngest brother) had a pimped out, short wheelbase, "Chevy Van" in the mid-70's, and of course the song "Chevy Van" had already hit the air waves. The kind you used to see in that Era with the fancy painted mural on the sides, only two seats, and an interior full of brightly colored **** carpet and a bed in the back. My Uncle offered to let me drive it to my Senior Prom. I know my date's parents just loved it when I showed up in that love machine! I'm surprised they even let her go! Well, phuque them, I was a man on a mission. We had the most popular ride that night, and the next day when we drove it over to Lake Michigan. Vans make some of the best memories!
Old October 5th, 2021, 04:55 AM

Mike, I'm not sure what to use for storage. It gets pretty hot and humid in your area, No? I had a few old flintstone mobiles (rusted out floors) on my back 40 at my old house here in Mich. I stored a bunch of car parts inside them and it ruined anything that was shiney. Was ok to store engine parts, etc. but chrome would get pitted, etc. I went out to the one, (72 Cutlass Supreme) to get something on a hot humid day and realized it was like a steam bath in there!! No wonder it rusted anything that was in it. So I had to stop storing nice stuff in the old cars.
Koda, John? , it's neat you have history with the old van. 3 speed on column seems perfect to me and a 302 is a damn good engine. But 4.11 gears, not good, though I wonder if you put something like a 3.00 gear in it would the 302 have enough umph to push that big box thru the air to 70 mph?
Old October 5th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Mike, I'm not sure what to use for storage. It gets pretty hot and humid in your area, No? I had a few old flintstone mobiles (rusted out floors) on my back 40 at my old house here in Mich. I stored a bunch of car parts inside them and it ruined anything that was shiney. Was ok to store engine parts, etc. but chrome would get pitted, etc. I went out to the one, (72 Cutlass Supreme) to get something on a hot humid day and realized it was like a steam bath in there!! No wonder it rusted anything that was in it. So I had to stop storing nice stuff in the old cars.
Koda, John? , it's neat you have history with the old van. 3 speed on column seems perfect to me and a 302 is a damn good engine. But 4.11 gears, not good, though I wonder if you put something like a 3.00 gear in it would the 302 have enough umph to push that big box thru the air to 70 mph?
Problem is, so many other things don't want to go 70. Steering has got play and is manual and wide ratio, the bushings and springs are old so it wallows, the brakes are merely fair, winds comes through everything, and ultimately, it's a 70s snub nose van; there isn't much there in front of you. It's not safe going that fast for long for all the above.
Old October 5th, 2021, 10:10 AM
GCH

Good evening all , today was nice weather and about 12 C so i took the Honda for a spin on gravel roads . Very nice to be able to do things like this when i,m retired.

Old October 5th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn - You are making me extremely envious. It was misting rain this morning which meant I could use the day working on the dryer - which I have been doing. The wiring harness & the motor bracket have turned into a fiasco. I refuse to mention more - I'm attempting to calm my nerves.
Old October 5th, 2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Good evening all , today was nice weather and about 12 C so i took the Honda for a spin on gravel roads . Very nice to be able to do things like this when i,m retired.
Glenn - The gravel road looks very scenic and a good time! It would be fun to own a trail bike or a dual purpose bike again. I might have to think about that one??? Glad you're enjoying retirement. I'm planning on entering my car in another show this coming Saturday, and then 2 more, one on the 16th of October and one on the 30th if the weather cooperates, and then it will be time to put it up for the season. The bikes will get put up around the last week of October or early November. I went out for about a 3 hour ride yesterday on scenic 2 lane hardtop roads, it was very pleasant and about 75° F.
Old October 5th, 2021, 12:08 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Glenn - You are making me extremely envious. It was misting rain this morning which meant I could use the day working on the dryer - which I have been doing. The wiring harness & the motor bracket have turned into a fiasco. I refuse to mention more - I'm attempting to calm my nerves.
We have had a lot of rain here also earlier , well s+it happens here also and it´s good for the soul to take a ride and clear
the mind a little , not thinking of anything else

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - The gravel road looks very scenic and a good time! It would be fun to own a trail bike or a dual purpose bike again. I might have to think about that one??? Glad you're enjoying retirement. I'm planning on entering my car in another show this coming Saturday, and then 2 more, one on the 16th of October and one on the 30th if the weather cooperates, and then it will be time to put it up for the season. The bikes will get put up around the last week of October or early November. I went out for about a 3 hour ride yesterday on scenic 2 lane hardtop roads, it was very pleasant and about 75° F.
Yes Chris , i like the Honda a lot and this year i have used the Honda much more than the Harley. The bike have worked well
this years only replacing some parts in the oilpump. Would been nice if there were an oil pressure light not a sightglass
either I replaced the front chain sprocket to a 14 teeth ( 15 original ) this was a big difference in driveability Have had
some toughts about a Transalp with 2 cyl engine , runs a little smoother than 1 cyl but the Dominator are light and easy to drive.

Have seen your pics from car shows and wow what many nice cars to look at love it . Nice you had a nice ride , sometimes you
wish that the clock stops and just continue driving
Old October 5th, 2021, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
Have seen your pics from car shows and wow what many nice cars to look at love it . Nice you had a nice ride , sometimes you
wish that the clock stops and just continue driving
Glenn - Glad you enjoyed the pics! It's always nice and relaxing to get out on the bike and just go, it's good for the soul! Be safe out there!
Old October 5th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from pizza with a friend of mine. He found himself home all alone and called and said lets go out somewhere. Very cool I don't like eating alone, either. Usually I only see this guy on the weekends at the Awful house.

You know what I miss about having a bike, saying I have a bike. I got to where I didn't enjoy riding, mainly because I didn't have anyone to ride with, but it was sort of like street cred, ya I have a Harley, and people gave me an eye of approval.

Norm let me guess. You had that sucker plugged in and the new harness zapped you, and as you pulled your hand away you got a huge cut from the razor sharp edge of the metal.

Koda with your eventual van restoration are you going back to the original green or keeping what it is now? All it takes is money and that guy will be driving like new, 70 will be a breeze. I must say I've never seen the inside of the regular Ford van of that era. Is the engine between the seats like an Econoline or is it forward(as much as it can be) like the newer vans? I am a big fan of full size vans.

Work sucked today. Nothing really out of the ordinary or difficult, but when I left I was sore, tired, aggravated. Tomorrow the washer is supposed to be shut down by noon to do a deep cleaning on it and more maintenance. That's fine by me, that means I get to leave by noon. We'll see if it actually comes to pass. I might do a round of pain killer in the morning and see if I can get through the day a little better. I hate to start that.

Not raining now but has been off and on. It stops Friday. Hope the weekend is nice. I was over at the house just for a minute this afternoon and I realized that in the big picture, I have precious little over there. I really need to step it up.

Okay a little relaxating and then off to bed. Hope everyone has a good evening. Hump Day is upon us.

Old October 5th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Hell no. I was not about to install the motor without first clearly understanding where, how & why the convoluted wiring harness wires on this new OEM upgraded motor are supposed to match up with pin locations, color of wires & functions of each wire. It's quite the freaking kludge let me tell you. Then, come to find out (probably because my dryer is an ancient relic left over from the Pleistocene era) the convoluted new upgraded wiring harness adapter which is required and comes with the new upgraded electric motor is in the way of the motor mounting bracket. What a FUBAR installation. Next, I'm marking the bracket, cutting the metal bracket with my Milwaukee Saw z-all & drilling holes to accommodate this new upgraded electric motor. And, I'll have you know Mr. Mike, I filed and burnished are sharp metal areas after the cuts.

Relaxate? You've been hanging about with them there Southern folks. Soon, you'll forget how to spell Zamboni.
Old October 5th, 2021, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Just got back from pizza with a friend of mine. He found himself home all alone and called and said lets go out somewhere. Very cool I don't like eating alone, either. Usually I only see this guy on the weekends at the Awful house.

You know what I miss about having a bike, saying I have a bike. I got to where I didn't enjoy riding, mainly because I didn't have anyone to ride with, but it was sort of like street cred, ya I have a Harley, and people gave me an eye of approval.

Norm let me guess. You had that sucker plugged in and the new harness zapped you, and as you pulled your hand away you got a huge cut from the razor sharp edge of the metal.

Koda with your eventual van restoration are you going back to the original green or keeping what it is now? All it takes is money and that guy will be driving like new, 70 will be a breeze. I must say I've never seen the inside of the regular Ford van of that era. Is the engine between the seats like an Econoline or is it forward(as much as it can be) like the newer vans? I am a big fan of full size vans.

Work sucked today. Nothing really out of the ordinary or difficult, but when I left I was sore, tired, aggravated. Tomorrow the washer is supposed to be shut down by noon to do a deep cleaning on it and more maintenance. That's fine by me, that means I get to leave by noon. We'll see if it actually comes to pass. I might do a round of pain killer in the morning and see if I can get through the day a little better. I hate to start that.

Not raining now but has been off and on. It stops Friday. Hope the weekend is nice. I was over at the house just for a minute this afternoon and I realized that in the big picture, I have precious little over there. I really need to step it up.

Okay a little relaxating and then off to bed. Hope everyone has a good evening. Hump Day is upon us.
Mike, it won't be what it is now. It may be the original green or another stock period correct Ford green.

There were many generations of the Econoline, we'll discuss three. From 61-67 it was a mid engined Falcon derivative with a seat cover over the engine. From 69-74, it was still a unibody, but shared much of the F truck series, and the engine went in the front. I call them a snub nosed van. In 75-91, they shared a lot more with the F truck and were body on frame. First picture is a 75, with most of the engine under the hood. The rest are of a 73 like mine. Most of the engine is behind the dash, your right knee would land on the valve cover about 1/3rd the way back if you ran without a cowl and were dumb enough to put your knee there. The whole powertrain is to the right to make room for you, thus the passenger seat is moved back. Test runs while working on the car, running without the cowl in place is an intense experience. The 302 barely fits in there, most had sixes.

Old October 5th, 2021, 07:27 PM

. Relaxate? You've been hanging about with them there Southern folks. Soon, you'll forget how to spell Zamboni.
Hey now, the ability to speak Southern is an art form that not everyone can master.
​​​​​​​
Old October 5th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Hey now, the ability to speak Southern is an art form that not everyone can master.
I agree. My Dad’s sister lived in Macon, GA her entire life. I honestly don’t know the correct term to describe her accent and her choice of idioms but she had such an unbelievably wonderful Southern accent with a wild array of Southern idiomatic expressions. I loved listening to her and talking with her.
Old October 6th, 2021, 03:21 AM

Jeff, I've had several mowers that were POS

Koda, Onw of my 1st jobs was delivering patio furniture in a van very similiar to yours once I unloaded a glass top tape and entered the garage and rang [what I thought was ] the door bell. My life flashed in front of me when the garage door started coming down to destroy the table and a months salary. Fortunately the maid opened the kitchen door and saved the day. I had never seen and electric garage door before

Norm, I'm sure you know this but by the time you finished repairing the dryer, you'd been better off flipping burgers at McDonald's by the hour.

BTW God talks like Herman Talmadge
Old October 6th, 2021, 04:07 AM
Running On Empty

James - Excellent story on the glass top - very funny. I delivered furniture in H.S., as well. I worked for a local Magnavox store - they sold drop-dead gorgeous T.V. & stereo cabinets & we delivered the pieces they sold after school and on weekends in both Dodge & Ford vans. They put in a McDonald's here about six years ago (population 3,800). There's still time for me to consider applying maybe.

I'm going to begin some of the reassembly this morning before my Dermatologist appointment @ 10:30 AM.
Old October 6th, 2021, 06:21 AM

Good morning guys,

We're getting rain right now and it's supposed to continue on and off all day today and tomorrow. Luckily, for Monty's and our sake, it doesn't look like there will be a bunch of lightning/thunder with this front. It is one of those odd fronts though as it is coming out of the east.

No big plans for me today. The weather is supposed to clear on Friday and be very nice over the weekend for car events. I'm planning on going to a show during the day on Saturday, and a cruise-in that is right down the street from me on Saturday evening. There is an Indian Riders Club group ride on Sunday that I'm seriously considering going on. I've missed most of their rides this summer because I've chosen to attend car events instead. Kinda makes me a little sad to think the car/bike season is winding down, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Norm - I hope you conquer that damn dryer! You ought to have a helluva party when you get it done!!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 6th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Jeff

Norm, since you're still battling your dryer, here's me showing my displeasure with my dryer. I think you guys will notice a theme.

Old October 6th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - My intentions are to beat this dryer into submission.

Jeff - Holy Guacamole. Based on all the buttons & whistles on that dryer - is there anything your dryer won't do? Is there a button for a prostate massage?
Old October 6th, 2021, 10:18 AM
Jeff

Norm, the prostate joke made me laugh pretty hard.

The dryer has a steam option to take wrinkles out. What's funny is that my lake cottage has no washer or dryer, so we have to bring all the dirty laundry home every time. However, I did pick up a washing machine last summer for $25 that is all electro-mechanical, but I didn't have time to install it this year. When I find a dryer for up there, it's also going to be an old e-m style. No fancy sh*t for the cottage.
Old October 6th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - Aside from minor annoyances with me being perturbed about having to figure out the new upgraded wiring harness for my ancient e-m dryer and having to cut the motor mount bracket to accommodate this new upgraded motor and upgraded wiring harness working on this has been easy - it makes it easier to reassemble when I labeled things and used plastic bags during the disassembly.

The motor is now in, new pulley for the pulley switch installed & now getting ready to hook up the labyrinth of wires from the dryer to the new upgraded motor and upgraded wiring harness. This still isn't a done deal until I'm certain I can pass a continuity test on this new upgraded motor and upgraded wiring harness. I'll be honest, it's going to take me a couple minutes to read, accommodate and think about how to actually test continuity on the new upgraded motor and upgraded wiring harness. Testing continuity on all the other switches, thermostats, rheostat, etc. was easy. I actually have to think about this to develop the confidence I can put it all back together as wired. I may need to invoke a timeout for lunch.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 6th, 2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: sp
Old October 6th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Surprise of all surprises. The washer didn't cut off at noon, it ran all day and suddenly the very people who told us about that yesterday developed amnesia about telling us such. The other guy and I ended before 130 so not too bad for spinning 340 wheel halfs. Halves?

Jeff my machine decided to have a mind of its own on only one wheel half, and I gave it the exact gesture. A guy walked over and gave me a funny look. He said, did you just flip off the machine? I said yup. He shook his head and walked away. Geez, I flip off probably 4 or 5 people in traffic every day.

Norm if there were a dryer hall of fame I would nominate you for inclusion. I have a question but I'm not going to ask it.

Jamesbo I had read that story to which Mr. Talmadge was referring. If I remember right there were three separate sides to that story, and each side thought he was right. I think he is the Talmadge who lived out by me. There is a Lake Talmadge and neighborhood on 19/41 in Clayton County. I've never been in there but it looks nice.

Koda I like that offset diff. The Wagoneer has the same thing because of the Quadra Trac. I wonder if you were doing a wheelie if you'd get torque steer.

One thing I'm not good at is imitating any kind of accent. My friends in Australia, if I try to talk like them, say, just stop.

Well the rain has given me the desire to do something inside this afternoon. I get a kick out of the weather people, they say the sun will come out Friday afternoon and act like that will be the end of all unhappiness. Sure, but it will still be a muddy mess from the 6+ inches of rain. So what if the sun is out, we're going to be knee deep in mud.

Okay time for a snack and then I don't know what. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old October 6th, 2021, 07:39 PM
Running On Empty

I need to make Tabouli. I haven’t made any in quite some time. I’d like to ride around on a Zamboni eating Tabouli.
Old October 6th, 2021, 07:53 PM

I need to make Tabouli. I haven’t made any in quite some time. I’d like to ride around on a Zamboni eating Tabouli.
Never had it, never even heard of it. Had to look it up. Sounds good and looks good, I'd try just about anything once. Scratch off monkey brain though, I ain't going there!
Old October 7th, 2021, 01:53 AM

Mike, For someone that knows how to spell Zamboni, ya sure know your Georgia history

Norm, Ya know the difference between parsley and pu$$y? No body eats parsley

Maybe you and I can make a mini series called Dryer repair and tractor search"

After many many conversations with my tractor consultants, I've about decided that small tractors just don't have what one needs. So, I'm eyeing a 5320 John Deere with more muscle

Donny, [one of my consultants] says, John Deere does not inventory tractors like dealerships inventory cars. They make production "runs "of certain models then retool and make another run of a different model. The last time he [meaning the golf club] ordered 2 , it took 9 months to get them. When /if they reorder 2 new ones, I may be able to buy one of the old ones. VERY high hours but perfectly maintained. It's interesting to me that their maintenance schedule means almost nothing in resale value to anyone but someone like me who knows what a great job they do, To the world, it's just a used high hour tractor
Old October 7th, 2021, 03:44 AM
Running On Empty

James - A 5320 would make a nice addition to your growing fleet.

We're beginning to experience the extreme outer bands of this depression (Disturbance 1) moving up the Atlantic coast. It's been lurking about for well over one week - not expected to develop further. It should bring some welcomed rain. Looks like an electric clothes dryer day to me.
Old October 7th, 2021, 04:28 AM

Good morning guys,

Had to set an alarm this morning, my daughter and son-in-law were coming by at 0515 to borrow my truck for a few days because one of their cars died.

Ugh, my Cardinals lost in the NL Wild Card game to the Dodgers last night on a walk off homer in the botttom of the 9th. I think I've told the story about how I grew up being both a Tigers and Cardinals fan as a boy before, so I won't tell it again. Now, if either the Tigers or the Cardinals are not in the playoffs, I won't follow the Division Series or World Series. Besides, we're full swing into football season which is by far my favorite sport to watch!

We were supposed to get rain most of the day yesterday, but all the stuff slated for the afternoon went around us and it was beautiful. Supposed to get more today with a much higher chance in the late afternoon around 4 or 5. Guess we'll see, hard to trust the weatherman around here???

Nothing on the schedule here today. Monty has a vet appointment tomorrow morning for a blood draw and heartworm check. Both dogs have to have one yearly for the vet to write us a prescription for oral heartworm preventative medication, which we prefer to purchase through PetMeds because it is much cheaper.

Car Show on Saturday during the day, and then a cruise in the evening on the same day. The cruise happens at a local church only 2-miles from our house, so it's no big deal after running home for a couple hours to have some dinner and check in on the family. Should be a fun car day, the weather is supposed to be sunny and mid-80's.

Hope everyone is having a good week and has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 7th, 2021 at 04:31 AM.
Old October 7th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Jeff

Chris, Tigers season was way better than anyone anticipated. AJ Hinch seems to have assembled a good coaching staff, and now they are looking to expand the analytics style thru the minors org as well. Young arms developed nicely this year, Turnbull and Rogers (pitcher & catcher for the future) having Tommy John was a setback, but this offseason may prove interesting for free agency. Verlander back? Perhaps. Correa as SS? Hmmm...

Pistons also going to be interesting this year, lots of young talent that may make a playoff push. Couple years away from contending for higher playoff slot, though.
Old October 7th, 2021, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,

Had to set an alarm this morning, my daughter and son-in-law were coming by at 0515 to borrow my truck for a few days because one of their cars died.

Ugh, my Cardinals lost in the NL Wild Card game to the Dodgers last night on a walk off homer in the botttom of the 9th. I think I've told the story about how I grew up being both a Tigers and Cardinals fan as a boy before, so I won't tell it again. Now, if either the Tigers or the Cardinals are not in the playoffs, I won't follow the Division Series or World Series. Besides, we're full swing into football season which is by far my favorite sport to watch!

We were supposed to get rain most of the day yesterday, but all the stuff slated for the afternoon went around us and it was beautiful. Supposed to get more today with a much higher chance in the late afternoon around 4 or 5. Guess we'll see, hard to trust the weatherman around here???

Nothing on the schedule here today. Monty has a vet appointment tomorrow morning for a blood draw and heartworm check. Both dogs have to have one yearly for the vet to write us a prescription for oral heartworm preventative medication, which we prefer to purchase through PetMeds because it is much cheaper.

Car Show on Saturday during the day, and then a cruise in the evening on the same day. The cruise happens at a local church only 2-miles from our house, so it's no big deal after running home for a couple hours to have some dinner and check in on the family. Should be a fun car day, the weather is supposed to be sunny and mid-80's.

Hope everyone is having a good week and has a great day!
I grew up in NE Oklahoma listening to the Cardinals on the venerable Cardinals Radio Network, and I am a 3rd generation Cardinals fan. It was tough to see them lose last night, but there is no shame in losing to such a great team.

The Texas Rangers were always my American League team, particularly after I moved to Dallas. I wholeheartedly pulled for the Rangers in the 2010 World Series, and while my loyalty was split when the Rangers faced the Cardinals in the 2011 World Series, in my head I decided to root for the Rangers since they had never won a World Series. That said, my heart was not aligned with my head, and I cheered every hit and every run the Cardinals made in that series. In the end, I decided that I can only cheer for the Rangers when they are playing anyone other than the Cardinals.
Old October 7th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by NTXOlds
I grew up in NE Oklahoma...
A Sooner who jumped the Red River? Why I never...
Old October 7th, 2021, 10:07 AM

A Sooner who jumped the Red River? Why I never...
LMAO

Gotta go where the jobs are.

As they say in Texas, I was not born here, but I got here as soon as I could.
Old October 7th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

New upgraded electric motor & new upgraded wire harness for e-m clothes dryer status = DONE.
Old October 7th, 2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, Tigers season was way better than anyone anticipated. AJ Hinch seems to have assembled a good coaching staff, and now they are looking to expand the analytics style thru the minors org as well. Young arms developed nicely this year, Turnbull and Rogers (pitcher & catcher for the future) having Tommy John was a setback, but this offseason may prove interesting for free agency. Verlander back? Perhaps. Correa as SS? Hmmm...
Jeff - Nice to hear the Tigers are making some good moves towards a brighter future! It sure would be nice to see them back in the playoff picture. Now if someone could do something to improve the Lions . . . Nah, it's never gonna happen!
Old October 7th, 2021, 11:32 AM

New upgraded electric motor & new upgraded wire harness for e-m clothes dryer status = DONE.

Congratulations on having some clean [and dry] clothes
Old October 7th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by NTXOlds
I grew up in NE Oklahoma listening to the Cardinals on the venerable Cardinals Radio Network, and I am a 3rd generation Cardinals fan. It was tough to see them lose last night, but there is no shame in losing to such a great team.
NXTOlds - Apparently, I am at least a 4th generation Cardinals fan. I grew up in Michigan rooting for the Tigers, but also had multiple connections to the Cardinals. My Dad grew up in far southeastern Tennessee and I had a Great Grand Grandmother on his side that used to listen to every Cardinals game on KMOX am radio out of St. Louis. Then, my Dad was drafted by the Cardinals and played 3 seasons of AAA ball for them in '56 - '58, until my Mom, who he was dating at the time, gave him an ultimatum, and he decided to hang it up and get a real job and they got married.

My fondest memory of baseball as a boy was the 1968 Tigers/Cardinals World Series. All the World Series games back then were day games. My 4th grade teacher actually brought a small black and white TV with "rabbit ears" into the classroom so we could watch the games in class.

Then, everything kind of came full circle, when after getting out of Grad School in '83, I got a job with a National Intelligence Agency, in of all places, St. Louis, where I live to this day. Crazy world!