The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Captain Starfire

Whelpt, no need to fly down, Mike. Pult the cord and pumpt the bulb a few times and she cranked up like a champ (not a chookie). I'm draining the oil right now and will clean 'er up and store her right this time.

Only problem is that the throttle control won't kill the motor -- so's I had to pull the plug wire. Need to look into that.

BTW, don't you hate the "new" mode of having to practically turn these machines upside-down to change da' erl? I sure like a good drain plug underneath; guess I'm just ol-fashioned.

No rain since early dis mawnin', so's it hit da' 90s again today; was like a sauna out there.
Old August 17th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
BTW, don't you hate the "new" mode of having to practically turn these machines upside-down to change da' erl? I sure like a good drain plug underneath; guess I'm just ol-fashioned.
I guess both of us are old fashioned that way John. My Kohler has a drain underneath but I've seen a lot of the newer B&S and Honda motors that you have to turn over to drain. I don't get it either. How is that making the product easier to service??

Good job on getting the tiller going. What brand is that? Toro by any chance? Might as well blast it with the pressure washer to get the accumulated dirt and mud of it.
Old August 17th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Happy birthday Sparky and Jetta!...I would get up but that would require me to move
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:54 PM

Mike, my Saturn has 97,000 plus miles on it, and you don't realize how well a car drives until you get a compact loaner. I think that I am spoiled as the loaner, a 2008 Ford Focus, has a lot of road noise on the highway, manual crank windows, no cruise control, no self dimming rear view mirror etc...shame on me.
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:57 PM

Jamsbo, sometimes my attempts at humor don't go over well.
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:27 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, that don't want you to service, they want you to buy new.

Well Monday kinda sucked, but today will be worse. Woke up to a text that my 66 GTO Qjet job needs to reschedule. I assume since he texted me after hours, it was ok for me to respond after hours as well?

Have a Tuesday all.
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast and a little humid this morning. Just as I was leaving for Summit last night it started raining. I went anyway, and bought my two quarts of oil. There were a few cars there that must have gotten there before the rain.

Dan my Mom's car drives nice also, I never was a big fan of it but that might be because of the way she has it set up. Seat all the way forward and all the way up. It's like driving a clown car when I'm in it. Eh, it's her car and she's pretty short.

Clint even though everyone knows I work at night, some people will still call me during the day. That's why I turn my phone off when I'm sleeping. So when I need to call them, I simply say, I'll call you at lunchtime. They say, when is lunch? I say 3am. Ah, but it's not okay for me to call them while they're sleeping.

Thanks Ted. That's a regular sight around my house!

So today I'm driving up to Chattanooga to look at a car. A 1985 Cutlass Supreme. I'm gonna check this one out a little better than I did the last one. Remember that light blue 86 I had for a short time a couple years ago? Boy what a nightmare. Anyway, this one seems a little more promising, and it's already dark blue. V6, split bench, regular dash.

Okay have a good day everyone.
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:31 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie cometh and goeth

Let me see. Clint Qjet ain't gonna get fixed. Mike's driving to cho cho town wit/o trailer lights and John's gonna till in de rain

Makes perfect sense to me
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning.
Yup. Good luck with your daily grinds.
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:18 AM

Now dis is wierd. Got a pm from my dear friend John, Read it and de notification went away but Mike, [form a few weeks ago] notification still is there
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all...

Jamesbo, the rain yessa-day mornin' softened up the ground for me. They're predickin' some scattered showers, but nuttin' heavy today. I guess it'll hit 90 again.

Mike, good luck with the prospective acquisition. I'm going to be on your "counting committee" when it forms.

Allan, the tiller is a small, practically generic one (perhaps MTD?) I got at Lowe's. It does have a B&S motor, which is prolly why it cranked right up (and why I bought it in the first place). I remember my Dad had a Tecumseh motor about 20 yrs ago in his Sears mower and that thing ran horribly; very unreliable; I vowed I'd never own one. I've had great luck with B&S thru the years, however. But I guess they have to keep makin' 'em cheaper to compete. There are a lot of different grades of 'em, but having the B&S label does make a difference, IMHO.

Clint, hope you survive the day, and that things turn around pronto for you and the missus and the businesses.

Whelpt, better half just informed me that "she'd eat an egg," so that means to get my keister to the stove pronto and get breakfast cookin'. (I exaggerate slightly.)

Have a great day of Tiu, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 18th, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old August 18th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey John, how far is Abita Springs from you?
Old August 18th, 2015, 03:51 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon All

Yup scattered, covered and not necessarily smothered in Elsie but she has been present and abound since around 1ish this afternoon. Mostly scattered but I've seen her here and there in my travels today. Welcome sight to say the least

Well Oldsmofriends today as a GM guy at heart, I had my heart broken twice. The first time was waking up and it being my dearly departed Dad's 67th B-Day and the second was picking up a non-running golf cart in Elko, GA and spotting an original, complete and #'s matching SS '69 Camaro 427 with two pedals and one re-paint rusting to death in the side yard Homeowner wasn't around or I'd axe him "How Much?" Eh, maybe on the return trip when his cart gets serviced.

Anywho tomorrow I go to the tire recycler in Jackson, GA with a healthy load of cart tires. Yay

Catch y'all on da flipside
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:35 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Scot. thats a sad sight. Maybe he'll finally let it go.

John, love them cackleberries. So glad I'm no longer allergic to them. By the by, we are averaging 6+ per day now out of the wifes flock.

Mike, The old style 3.8 litre? Man we never had very good luck with those up here. The G body was too big and heavy and that 3.8 didn't have the Oomph at this altitude. And holey Leakers. I swear they just sweat through the block and the tin. Usually had to dig for every bolt.

Allan, I've got an Ariens with a Kawi motor in it. It has been flawless and very low maintenance. I need to change the oil in it, but it's still very hard to see on the dipstick.

Have a humpday all.
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:21 AM

Mawn'in all

Like Scot said, Elsie comes and goes often during de day

Scot, I'll go havies with cha on de Cameo.

Hope MIke made it thru de storms on de way to cho cho town.
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all....

Elsie just west of us, headed for a collision w/ Tangipahoa Parish today.

Scott, that had to be a COPO car, eh?

Whelpt, just to keep you guys up to date on the terrible procrastination that occurs in south LA, I just yesterday took all the stuff out of the GS that had been loaded in her when I had her shipped over a year ago. I'm beginning to see a tunnel, but if there's a light at the end, it must be from a bic lighter. But the first step might have been the most difficult. At least I have direction now...

PB&J fer b'fast... yum.

Have a great humpity, Oldsmofriends.
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Nice day here.

Clint, my snowblower is Ariens under the Sno Tek brand. It's also been flawless over the past couple years. Haven't changed oil in it yet. Some new machines claim to never need an oil change. Don't understand that.
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:52 AM

That '69 Camaro would be something, but I'm not sure that the factory ever had exterior badging like that, did the COPO's?
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Captain Starfire

Sez it all ;-)

Saw this on FB this mernin' -->
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Pretty good.
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Why on earth live in a place that's perpetually hot like that? Nebber mind. It's what it is. Finally decided not to visit the south east next year. Taking the missus to Dominican Republic instead. Great deal at an all inclusive 5 star resort. Best airfare also includes non stop flight from YEG. Ding ding ding - winner!
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home last night to no internet. So guess where I am. The library. I almost feel like I'm in detention.

The Cutlass was a bust. Great body, interior needed a few things, drove okay, lots of oil in the air cleaner. The odometer showed 05xxx which could have been any number in front of the 0. The guy was surprised I didn't want it. I said, V6 is not a deal breaker, but worn out V6 is. So coming home I sat in about 3 hours worth of traffic because the storms that preceded me caused lots of accidents. But the trip only cost me 100 in gas.

Cable guy is coming tomorrow after 8. This after I sat on the phone for an hour last night with the tech guy turning the computer on and off. I said, I did that before I called you. He said, well do it one more time. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Can't get my email because Charter has changed the webpage to be phone friendly, which as usual, has rendered desktop use all but impossible. And it says the library is using a version they don't support. So I can't get my email and that really bugs me. Eh, what did we do before we had email anyway? Not worry about it or depend on it, that's what. I may have to dig out my obligatory comment, for what I'm paying you people...

Okay have a good afternoon everyone. Work tonight, it sure came back around quick.
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon All

Another day and another dollar. And yup more sporadic Elsie

Originally Posted by CQR
Scot. thats a sad sight. Maybe he'll finally let it go.
Hmm I dunno, he's probably one of those that is gonna get around to it one of these days

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Like Scot said, Elsie comes and goes often during de day

Scot, I'll go havies with cha on de Cameo.
Sounds tempting but I need another project like another orifice in my noggin

Scott, that had to be a COPO car, eh?
Not sure John but I believe you could order a '69 with a 427 and even some of the pace cars were ordered with them. There was no Yenko badging on it or the seats either.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That '69 Camaro would be something, but I'm not sure that the factory ever had exterior badging like that, did the COPO's?
Further research shows the badge I pictured to be '67 only on the Camaro but was correct for Chebbys in the '65 - '67 flavor and this one was not a '67. So maybe the kid was misinformed The hood was popped open slightly and the 427 did look stock Eh well it's probably not a real SS either

Allan per our convo on FB, the back of the photo of the '67 442 said

"When washing the car and was cleaning the flat black paint on the headlights and the paint came off. It came completely black just like on trunk lid."

Anywho I wish I had a pic of the cowl tag, and not sure on the paint. But knowing my Grandfather it looks to be a special order as none of the paint chip samples match up. I do know it had the desirable UHV ignition, but that's about all I am certain on. Note pics
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's cool Scot! I just noticed it also has red striping on the front fender/doors! By any chance was the interior color of this 442 code 975 Red? I know you don't have the cowl tag info but maybe you remember the color from when you rode in it? If it was 975 it should also have had bucket seats IIRC. Sweet looking car!
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:02 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Not sure Al, it was traded in for either the '70 Wildcat or the '72 CS. I didn't come along until Sept of '73 My mom may remember, I'll ask next chance I get. My Grandfather was sure fond of silver paint. He was a pilot in the USAF and when he retired he worked on them same birds on base here at Robins. The '67 442, the '70 Wildcat and the '72 CS were silver, well technically the '72 CS is Ice Blue Firemist but it looks silver. The Wildcat had a 455 and green interior.
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Not sure....... I didn't come along until Sept of '73
Jeepers you make me feel old. I bermember my Dad giving me free reign of the 72 back then. Cost all of 5.00 to fill it from almost empty. In 73 Dad bought a Chevelle Deluxe wagon. 350 2bbl, IMO it was underpowered but it was geared to go almost anywhere. It started rusting prematurely in 76, WELL AFTER the warranty was up back in those days. Whole new RS lower panel behind the wheel. Dad had the shop leave it in primer and got me a paint gun to paint it with. Hey, not perfect but it sure looked good to me!

I guess this is what my ride to the Dominican Republic looks like. Booked it all today. 2 weeks of fun & sun when it gets coldest up here. Drat! I have to miss 2 weeks of curling...

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:48 PM

Scot, your grandad sure had good taste in cars.
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Lunch time. Been working on an overnight check on an MD88 and now we're trying to figure out why the APU won't start the left engine but it will start the right engine. Some valve is bad somewhere probably. Just gotta troubleshoot and narrow things down.

Scot you can never have too many projects. Take the purple people eater out and do some burnouts in honor of the day.

Jamesbo tell Red dog thanks. Give him a scratch behind the ears for me.

John you sound like me. I end up using cars for storage buildings. I just cleaned out the white Suburban and found things I stuck in there in like '99.

Guess I'll grab a bite of something and head back to the plane. Cable guy comes tomorrow morning, hope it's an easy fix.
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:19 AM

Mawn'in all

Werm

Elsie's ere

Scot, You lucky to have a family fleet like that

Allan, You're gonna wish dat plane was so commodious

Mike, Red says " You're quite welcome. He was beginning to think you was like us and never checked de front door. We only ingress and egress via de back

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:16 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Quick goot mernin all

Thanks all, I wish I still had the '67 442 & the '70 Wildcat

Gotta run to Calhoun today, so if anyone is in the area I'll be there 'round lunchtime

Have a great day
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:48 AM

Be careful out there Scot, De roads are a mess. Jes outa curious. How many miles you logged with this new gig?
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Scot, I think we all wish we still had some of the cars in our past.

Jim, I don't understand.

Mike, does Airbus have provision for USB headphone jacks?

Clint, you get your goat rescheduled yet?

Chilly morning but should get to 68 later. Might also get some rain which would be nice.
Old August 20th, 2015, 06:05 AM

Allan dat pic is like a pic of a hotel rooms dat are on line. De lens makes everything look bigger dan it is
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... Elsie was present since before dawn, but Sol edged her out in the last couple hours. I think it will be a battle royale most o'day.

Allan, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Scott, I have a buddy down here who ordered a '69 Camaro SS with the 396-375 'cause that was the most potent motor he could get in it. He drag-raced the car for decades (at the track; really never ran it on the street except when it needed fixin') and it finally got a bit ratty in the early 90s; he let it sit in a shed at his house in St. Bernard Parish (Chalmette) and unfortunately, Katrina came and ... whelpt, you know the rest. (They got about 13' of "MRGO" water.) Really not sure about the Pace Cars.

Mike, I hadn't stored anything in the GS myself, although I've done that to other "long term" cars of mine. This was all stuff that the previous owner had packed (pretty well, I must add) inside and in the trunk, and that came down with the during shipping. Half of it was completely useless old parts. I definitely have my work cut out for me on it, in any case!

Whelpt, let me get up and at it. Have a great day of Thor, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 20th, 2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM

Ok Sammy De Massey Ferguson has had it's bi centennial bath and is in de shade in de shed. Sunday, I'm gonna give your oil treatment a go
Old August 20th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just curious Jim, why not just wear gloves?
Old August 20th, 2015, 03:18 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Be careful out there Scot, De roads are a mess. Jes outa curious. How many miles you logged with this new gig?
Thanks and yes very careful, there are some real "professionals" out there It seems that since we passed the slow poke law, me thinks the fast lane is not the far left one any more Miles? Oh I'd say close to 1500 if I were to guess. I've had to fill up about once every two days and on days like this, twice a day. And that is around 45-50 gallon tank.
Scott, I have a buddy down here who ordered a '69 Camaro SS with the 396-375 'cause that was the most potent motor he could get in it. He drag-raced the car for decades (at the track; really never ran it on the street except when it needed fixin') and it finally got a bit ratty in the early 90s; he let it sit in a shed at his house in St. Bernard Parish (Chalmette) and unfortunately, Katrina came and ... whelpt, you know the rest. (They got about 13' of "MRGO" water.) Really not sure about the Pace Cars.
That's pretty cool. Looks like Yenko SYC gave you the L72 corvette mill and then there was the all aluminum Fred Gibb built ZL1, but you are right as for standard production it looks like the 396 was the largest. I could've swore the 427 in the '69 vette was the L88 http://www.musclecarfacts.com/chevro...56-1969-camaro
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cable guy came this morning and said all the equipment was working, it was the computer that was bad. A couple years ago I had to patch a few things up, I guess it finally decided to give out for good. This weekend I'll go look for a new one. Mine is three years old, which is ancient in the electronics world.

Jamesbo it was waiting for me when I got home from Chat on Tuesday. I only use the front door, which I don't particularly care for, but it's a big hassle getting around to the back of the house. Growing up, we parked the cars in the back, and went into the back door. If someone came to the front door it was a pretty good chance we didn't know them.

John that's funny. Lots of times I see ads for cars that have been all taken apart, and included is "many spare parts." The spare parts end up being the old junk the guy took off. Hope you've got some gems in all the stuff. You never know.

My plane should be landing about now, but since it's coming from London, it will take awhile for it to clear customs and get to the hangar. Looks like it's going to be a long night.
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:31 PM

Scot, the Vette had a couple 427's in 'em for 1969, the base 427 was a 390 hp w/two bolt mains, followed by the 400hp tri power, same engine, just more carbs, next the 427 435hp tri power, four bolt mains, and finally the 427 L88, intentionally rated lower than the 435hp @ 430hp, closer to 550hp, low production, big bucks today, and the L88 was available '67-69.
Old August 21st, 2015, 03:57 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Yup rescheduled for next week. Monday IIRC. Had the customer pick up the '56 210 we just did the 700R4 swap in. Car still has a slight vibration, but drives much nicer. you don't have to be in the secondaries to keep up with traffic anymore. and the Rotella brought up the oil psi a bit until he decides what motor he wants to put in it.

Mike I open the front door every evening to check for stuff on the porch. the missus uses it to leave in the morning, but otherwise we all use the garage door to come into the house.

Scot That sure is a nice looking CS. was that when the car was new? just curious if those were factory tires with the narrow white stripe. I really like the pinstripe and kinda wish Brit had it. But not quite enough to have it done. Edit: just relooked and saw the date on the photo's NVM.

Have a great weekend all.