The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Woke up this afternoon and found out it is National Dog Day. Maybe that's what the dogs were telling me when they came to get me about 5 times today. Sure is nice out, sunny, not too hot or humid.

Dan glad you got the Saturn back. Were you driving the cheep Ford the whole time? It probably felt like a Cadillac when you got back in the Saturn. Gas around my house is 2.32.

Jamesbo how'd you do at the dentist. Was his name Hermie?

'Bout time for Paul to make an appearance. He's been gone awhile. Probably snowing at his house by now.

Well off to work. Hope everyone enjoyed their Hump Day.
Old August 26th, 2015, 05:15 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon Mawnin Oldsmofriends

Beautimus day 'ere in the land of the peach. Dern I miss Sandy

Saw some T'baccy growing on my way down south today. Had to hit Warwick (Sorry Jamesbo, I had no early warning or I'd have picked you up some of their best) and then on to Nashville. Georgia not Tennessee. Haven't ever heard of it before but it's near Moody AFB dern near Valdosta (Florida state line-ish)

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle of the Saturn Dan. Would yours be considered the "Middle Saturn"? Since Al's is dubbed "The Lowly Saturn" and Mike's is dubbed "The High Saturn"

I ridden in a Saturn. Once. They (Saturn) were brand new back then and a buddy of mine had one. I was riding with him home from working up in Atlanta all week. After 1 1/2hrs of driving south down I-75 (did I mention $15 worth of gas and a twelve pack of beer?) Well we arrive at our exit, then he has a "Hold My Beer and Watch This" moment This guy puts his blinker on to exit and at the last moment before it was too late to exit, he does. But not before bowling down several GADOT (Dept of Trans) pylons that were arranged like bowling pins just to the left of the off-ramp. Yup. Da front bumper?... Yup, gone..... And dragging under the car.... He stops the car, I hop out and direct him to back up slightly so I can rip it out from under there. He then hops out and puts said bumper into the back, I said why? It's shot now. LOL Dum@$$ Some people have more $$ than cents (sense) LOL He was the bosses son and they had been well into halfway though a million $ contract with a termite company, repairing damage from said termites they were guarding against

Anywho back to Maconga tomorrow, guess I'll bring my pocket heater again
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:01 PM

Yep, Mike I was driving the Ferd for a week ana half, so glad to have my wheels back. Scot, I guess you could call it that, as I am also in the middle the of the two of 'em geographically speaking.
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:49 AM

Mawn'in all

Blue bird day, May sneak off to smack whitey

Scot, I had lunch wit a friend yesterday whose grandson lives in Nashville, Ga Honest

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Busy night at work. Started out changing 5 tires and a brake on an MD88 and ended up doing a grease job on a 767. I'm beat.

Almost didn't make it in last night. Got off the expressway and there's all these fire trucks and police cars, and down the road a whole lot of smoke. So I turned around and went down by Georgia Power and took the service road back up, and saw that the bakery was on fire. That's too bad. Most of the donuts and whatnot we have at work come from there. This morning when I went past it was all boarded up and nary a sole around. Hope they rebuild, they've been there a long time.

Hope John and Better Half made it safe up to the mountains yesterday.

Time to jump into bed and cover up my head. Have a good Thursday everyone.
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:20 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan. I should have it done this morning. The carb was a disaster. Somebody painted it. so that made a mess out of my car dip, and of course its warped unbelievably bad., I've filed a lot of material off to try to get the gaskets to seal it up. The usual carb holddown bolt overtorque issue.
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Got a lot done yesterday but still more to do today. Most time consuming sanding and wood filler, more sanding then pre stain before install the rails.

Clint, sounds like a beech. Wanna do a Ryobi weed eater? I think I need do clean the carb on it. No start condition. It'll wait till I get back next week though.

Scot, I dub thee "The Traveling Man". Gee you've had a lot of dogs!

Jim, I had a second cousin from my dads nephews brothers sisters mommas side who married a nice widder woman from there too.

Buddy texted me the stone shield turned out nice. He's just waiting for the paint to cure a bit before installing it. That and the new front bumper will really transform the front look of his car.

I think I'll put the cutlass away today. No point hogging all the garage if I'm not going to do anything on it this year.

John, happy Thors Day!
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Captain Starfire

Mountain greetings

Hola, all.... Bluebird is right, Jamesbo. I saw 61 when I got up, but into the high 70s now. Had a very nice trip up yesterday, thank the Almighty. Smooth as glass. We hit the Cracker Barrel in Opelika, AL, and both had the halibut dinner. No halibut for the kitties, however. They have to stay on their "fast" until we arrive safe & sound at the house. They all seemed to make it unscathed, although it's getting a little rough for Feeney, the 13-y.o

Whelpt, my Craftsman blower finally just wouldn't start today, so my grass cutting job looks like crap. BTW, I'll have to check out the warranty on that thing, as it's only 15+ yrs old... I had brought it in to the shop out here a couple years ago when it wouldn't start and and they put a carb kit and new fuel hoses in it (don't feel like fartin' with these things). This time, I'll donate it to the trash pickers and go get a new Toro from The Home Despot in Blairsville

Anhoots, be back as soon as I can, Oldsmofriends. Have a great one...

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 27th, 2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:06 PM

John, Glad ya'll made it safe and sound. Spose to be nice until de weekend
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got to bed on time this morning but got up late, due to my pups' continual interrupting of my sleep. Don't know what their problem was, it was nice out with no extenuating annoyances. Just bored I guess.

I've got to say that I am not impressed with Windows 10 so far. And Windows 8 is about the same. In fact I had considered spending the money to get the old computer fixed and go back to using it. I hate that that means I've just wasted 300+ on this computer, but this is just unbearable. I can't imagine using this for three years and then getting something even more tedious.

John glad you had a good trip. Looking forward to a trip up to the mountains this weekend. I'll have to find Jamesbo's alternate directions.

Clint when I got my Corvette it had an Edelbrock Performer on it, and the original Qjet was in a box. Last year I had a shop rebuild the Qjet and put on a fuel pump.

Time to hit the road. It's Friday. I know of one heavy plane we're getting tonight, don't know if I'll be on it, but chances are supreme that I will be, since it's my Friday and that's how the management works. Eh, it all pays until 7. Have a good night everyone.
Old August 28th, 2015, 04:20 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike I like the Edelbrock carb. I assume it was the AFB style? Brit's Qjet was also a wreck and not very fixable.I found a barely used edelbrock Qjet and it has worked out well so far. It's a shame they don't make the Qjets anymore.

Allan, the Goat ran out pretty well yesterday. I wasn't happy with the lack of range on the choke spring, but maybe it will work better when we get a little cooler. It wasn't even hooked up to work when it came in.
Attachment 158164
Attachment 158165
Attachment 158166

John have a good time vacationing

Heres a pic of the kids car with its new facelift. I'm really happy with the job altho not perfect, the price was phenomenal.

Attachment 158167

Have a friday all.
Old August 28th, 2015, 05:26 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice but feels like it's fix'in to come up a cloud

Mike, Have a safe trip to John's and let me know if ya need de corrections again. Ya don't need to go thru that awful town of Helen. " Ya leave on vacation and come home on probation"

Clint, I got a few Old q-jets laying around if ya need some parts pieces in de future. I'm really not sure how/why I have dem but I've got a set of tri car fuel lines. It may go way way back [pre wife's POS Jag] when I made the stupid mistake of try'in to convince de Super model dat de Vista
Cruiser should be her DD

She was complaining 'bout de gas millage of de 455 so I had an extra 350 and a 2 barrel manifold I was gonna "fix" de situation. Sum times I'm amazed at how delusional I can become. De poor old Vista [wit new paint and interior] is sitt'in by it's lonesome in de garage in de mountains.

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old August 28th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little early so I got some extra sleep this morning. Told the dogs to wake me up at noon, and when they did I sent them off and got up at 1.

I couldn't have been more wrong about my night. Turns out the engine change was an A330, and I'm not 330 qual so I wasn't on it. Our lead had two planes, one which was finishing up when we got there, so there were 7 people on a flap problem that was a one person job. Stood around all night, did nothing. That makes for one slow night let me tell you. Glad those nights don't happen very often.

Jamesbo I can't find the alternate directions. Please give them to me again or I'll be driving my van, that goes down the road like a drunken sailor, through the twisty roads just out of Helen. I might end up hanging from some tree.

Clint I get a kick out of all the people who hate Qjets. I'm guessing they take the little DFW caps off and mess up the factory settings and can't get it back. The Edelbrock I had was no good. The fuel filter bowl was stripped and leaked gas like crazy. I got some "glue" that was specifically for fuel leaks, and it worked until the engine got a little warm.

Okay plenty to do. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 28th, 2015, 11:11 AM

Directions

Travel North to the end of Georgia 400 (near Dahlonega). Continue straight through the traffic light for 4.7 miles to a stop sign at Hwy 115.

Turn Right on Hwy 115 and travel East approximately 13 miles to Cleveland.

At the Cleveland Town Square, follow signs to Unicoi and Helen around the town square, on to Hwy 129 North.

After you leave the town square, turn Right at the light onto Hwy 75 North to Helen.

Stay on Hwy 75 North for approximately 9.4 miles. There is a big pasture on the right with an Indian mound in the center. Turn Right onto Hwy 17 towards Clarkesville.

Travel approximately 3 miles on Hwy 17 until you get to Old Sautee store on the Left. Turn Left onto Hwy 255 at the store.

Travel North on Hwy 255 for approximately 7.5 miles, it will dead end at a stop sign at Batesville General Store.

Turn left onto Hwy 197 and travel North 4 miles, look for Brook’s General Store (EZ Quik Trip) on the Right at Burton Dam Road. Do not turn here.

Mike, Don’t turn here, go straight up 197 until you hit 76 then turn left
Old August 28th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Jamesbo. Can I get to 400 off 285?

I'll look it up.
Old August 28th, 2015, 02:55 PM

Mike, Yep Ga 400 goes straight north between 75 and 85 off 285 Pm me your cell and I'll help cha out manuvering de hills
Old August 29th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast and coolish, my boy got me up at 530 and then I went back to bed, until after 8. I guess they aren't motivated today.

Time for Awful house, and then my latest attempt at the junkyard. Been trying to get there for three weeks, but something always comes up. So we'll see.

Have a good day everyone.
Old August 29th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Captain Starfire

Hi, y'all... had one of the nicest walking mornings in memory this morning; made the loop at the Chatuge Dam and temp was perfect and the sun was blocked. To cap it all off, we made our stop at Heavenly Bake Shop and bought a box full of baked goodies... Life is good.

How's the painting, Allan? Haven't started any yet up here yet. Want to get the bike going again, then it'll be curtain and rod installation for the den and kitchen.

Hope you and the van make it in one piece tomorrow, Mike.

Whelpt, let me get to it. Have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.
Old August 29th, 2015, 09:22 AM

John, I gots to run back to de city round lunch to help a family, but Mike's gonna stop by ere around 11. I'm gonna send him your way up 197 to 76 around noon and head south myself. Gonna show him sum sho nuff sea walls.Sorry I can't make it
Old August 29th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Captain Starfire

We'll do it again eventually, Jamesbo. Let's just keep after it. If Mike is willing to drive a bit, I'd love to revisit Dillard House.... left a good taste in my mouth last time....

Y'all both be safe manana.... spose to be rainy in da' hills.
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:26 AM

For those of you who don't know John, He's measures resteraunts by their fried chicken
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Captain Starfire

How did you gets to know me so well in only 5 yrs.?
Old August 29th, 2015, 11:09 AM

John, We have alot in common Tall wives, Oldsmobiles, luv fer de mountains, and [next to our wives and Oldsmobiles] a love fer food.
Old August 29th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CQR

Afternoon all.

Sorry I'm late. Had to run errands this morning. Had to head out to Wiggins to go get our pig. The old guy who runs the little processing facility likes old cars and enjoys when I show up in Brit. He has an Old Galaxie 500 with a 427 in it that he's putting together. Anywho, I started playing cat and mouse with a Jeep Gr. Cherokee SRT on the way there. It was fun. First time I've gotten her into the triple digits. She was making some funny noises up there but all seems well and we made it home.

Mmmm. Fried chicken.

Have a weekend all.
Old August 29th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Taking a break from washing the blue van. It hasn't been touched in at least a couple years. Can't have a gross looking ride when I go calling. Just need to do the inside windows and that will be that.

Boy talk about junk at the junkyard today. Nothing good to speak of. I did get a vacuum connector for the Dodge so I can match up the six vacuum lines coming out of the AC panel. I wondered why it all of a sudden started running rough, it's because I have six vacuum leaks.

You guys fried chicken sounds awesome. Wish there was a good place to get it around here. If anyone is ever in Schererville, Indiana, there's a place called Tiebel's that does fried chicken that's to die for. And it's in a lovely dining room, very elegant. If I went back home to visit I'd have to stay a month so I could eat at all my favorite places.

Okay gonna finish up my job and get cleaned up. Actually got quite a bit done today so far.
Old August 29th, 2015, 01:12 PM

Well, now y'all have done it...I'm headed out to pick up some chicken, and buttermilk, for a soak overnight, I'll fry it up tomorrow afternoon, and drizzle a little honey 'n crushed pecans over it (from Paula Deen).
Old August 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Captain Starfire

Dan, we'll all be over around noon....

If I can't get the direct flight to N. Mich. for $100, however, the contingency plan is in N. GA is for BBQ baby-back's along w/ Mom's famous baked macaroni. Only thing, I don't have any Luxury #7 (long) macaroni up here (a N.O. favorite I usually bring from home), so I'll have to substitute either fettuccine or linguine, which will have to do in a pinch. (Sorry, Mike!)

I'm mentally planning a trip to Rocky & Carlo's as soon as we get back, with all this chicken talk...
Old August 30th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast and cool today. Not sure what it's supposed to do the rest of the day but I hope the rain stays away. We're probably going to get a lot of rain from that storm in Florida later on this week.

All ready to head up to the hills. Looking forward to seeing Jamesbo and John. This will be a good trip for the blue van, since it hasn't been out of Stockbridge in a couple years. It's all cleaned up and looking spiffy.

Gonna forego the Awful house today, no need to have left the house and then come back, only to leave again. As it is the dogs will be stuck in their room all day, I don't want to make things any worse for them. Wish I could bring them with me when I go places, but they are a disaster once they go out the front door.

Okay have a good day everyone.
Old August 30th, 2015, 05:42 AM

John, I'm sending you via Mike sum of my left over raison bread breakfast for a bakery in Bevard N.C. Anyone who smiles when de eat fried chicken needs to expand their culinary horizons. Bevard ain't but about 3 hours from ya and it's worth the trip
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Captain Starfire

Eva-nink, all....

Had a nice day today with Mike and The Blue Battleship (a.k.a., Chivvy Van). Heard that exhaust rumbling from all da' way down da' hill. Repast was great, but Saints game left a little to be desired. It was nice of you, Mike, to suffer thru it with us poor, unfortunate Saints fans.

Thanks for the bread & maypaw jelly, Jamesbo... Will give 'er a sampling tomorrow morning. You've succeeded in expanding my horizons.

Here's a pic of the baked macaroni ("a la Mary"), along with Mike + "Better Half." Forgot to snap a pic of the baby back poke ribs, but they were a sight to behold, as well. And they tasted as good as they looked, IMHO.

Hoping Mike makes it back to Henry County with no humbug. Weather cleared up nicely, thank goodness, so as long as he limits the van to beer & wine, they should be fine

Hasta manana, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 30th, 2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:33 PM

Is that our Mike with your wife?
Old August 30th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back home just fine. What a great day. Seeing Jamesbo and John and Better Half I can't think of a better way to spend a day. If you don't know these people, then all I can say is too bad for you.

John that's the worst picture of me I've seen in a long time. I should have cried when you took it. Maybe a few more pastries would help.

The dogs were none the worse for wear when I got home 13 hours after I left. I think they were sleeping when I got home. They sort of sauntered out of their room with a half glazed look. Silly puppies.

Speaking of that, I met another member of our esteemed group today. Red Dog. What a nice boy. Although Jamesbo kept telling him I had a sandwich.

Time to hit the sack. Gotta get going early tomorrow, I can't miss the Awful house two days in a row. Have a good night everyone, happy Monday.
Old August 31st, 2015, 03:46 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Looks like a good time out there guys. We went to the earliest Oktoberfest festival yesterday. It was fun, Lots of Lederhosen and imported German beer.

The missus grilled up some T bones last night and the kid had a friend over.

Didn't get much sleep... seemed to wake up each hour and up at 2:47 to get her out the house. She scared the heck out of the milkman. I guess he's not used to people opening the door when he's filling the milk box that early.

Have a day all.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:42 AM

Mawn'in all

Busy mawn'in at de ole cemetery

Mike, Glad cha made it home safely and de pups are Ok. It was great to visit wit cha. Next time ya need to stay longer. We can take "Das Boat" out and look at what the crazies have built around de lake.

John, Hey, I know dat guy wit you wife. Looks well fed Dillard house is fine with me any time.

Clint, sounds yummy I'd watch de misses and de Milk man

GTG Have a great week Olds friends
Old August 31st, 2015, 05:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast and cool, hm it's sounding like fall. Hope we forego the rain today. Got some things to do over at the shop, and if it doesn't rain I want to clean up the convertible and take it to Summit tonight. Last time I can go for awhile.

Jamesbo I'll have to run back up there real soon so we can go check out that old Chevy. I certainly have enough projects around here(don't tell anyone how many) but there's always room for a street rod. Or an Imperial.

Well I've probably missed my friends at the Awful house, but I'll go anyway then check out Walmart and get on with the day. Last day off, been a good long weekend.

Have a good day everyone.
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:05 PM
Always room for one more

Wow quiet Monday. Could it be there's life outside of the computer?

Just got back from the Summit cruise in. Not many cars, probably 50. The 67 442 W30 showed up, I hadn't seen it for quite awhile. It has a period way out paint job, that was painted in 1986. Looked pretty mod. That was the only Oldsmobile. Couple of hot rods, a lot of regular stuff. Hey who cares, it's a car show.

Work tomorrow, so I have to stay up really late. Came home to find out they've taken off Starsky and Hutch. Charlie's Angels is on at 9, Fantasy Island at 10, and also gone is TJ Hooker. That's not a big loss. Not liking this.

One of the guests on FI is Iron Eyes Cody. Cool name, I'll have to look him up.

Well I hope everyone's week started out good. Have a good evening.
Old September 1st, 2015, 03:41 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, Not everything that came out of the 80's was a good thing. Big hair, acid washed 501's and Collarless sweatshirts were pretty good tho.

Jamesbo, I ain't worried about him. Heck if he's got the energy at zero dark thirty, then more power to him. Kinda reminds me of a tweet I saw.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old September 1st, 2015, 04:54 AM

Mawn'in all

Clint, I jes spit coffee all over my keyboard

Mike, Werk ain't all it's cracked up to be but it helps pay fer your stable I missed de Cheby on de way home. Next trip I'll get de number and price fer ya

Allan, You OK? Did ya take de day off?

John, Happy Hik'in Wish I was still up dare but duty calls

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 1st, 2015, 04:58 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik G'Mernin', all... Nobody seems to know what the weather up here is doing; different forecasts from the Hotlanta TV stations than from TWC. Neither one is particularly accurate, so why watch? No Elsie yesterday, and none likely for a while. Temps slowly creeping upward; they're sayin' near 90 by Labor Day weekend.

Hope everybody had a good start to the week.

Yep, that's "our Mike," Dan!

Mike, I didn't think the picture was bad. None of us looks as if we've missed many meals. You need to get some good hiking boots and come trudging thru Jackrabbit Mountain with us next time and work off those victuals. Thanks for the kind words, BTW. Much too nice a phrase to describe us, however.

Clint, hope you got some good sleep last nite. Interesting tweet.

Whelpt, hope to actually get the bike on the road today. Then it will be paintbrush city. Y'all have a great one, Oldsmofriends.
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:12 AM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo, spit or spilt? Hope it was the latter. Mike, let's try a rendezvous at Dillard House (the more the merrier!) for next trip. Jamesbo sez he's game; maybe he can coax Supermodel, and maybe Scot will have a window of opportunity. I'd suspect we'll be back up some time in Nov.