The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Works perfectly! Those are some really nice cars. I really like that 340 cud a vert amongst others. Looks like your camera was on overtime.
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got up to Year One and back. Spent just over 100 and everything fit in a little plastic bag. How depressing. They were out of stock on one piece, so he said they'd send it to me. Probably in a couple weeks. That's fine. Year One was not in Stone Mountain, they were in Tucker. But on Mountain Industrial Blvd. Now in Braselton.

Talked to my neighbor about the pickup. Went for a ride, no noise. He jacked up the front, turned, wiggled, moved everything, he said everything was perfect. Got underneath, no problems. Figures. He said with what he's seen, don't worry about it and if the noise comes back just to let him know.

Dan looks like a good show. Might be fun to have a car nice enough to enter some time. My car looks nice enough for a cruise in, and still doesn't get a look.

Guess I'll tend to the dogs and get into something before Summit. Don't think I'll take anything, probably won't stay that long. I wasn't planning on being there tonight, I figured I'd be somewhere else. So a nice surprise.
Old September 14th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Good evening everyone.

Allan I thought I heard something about Saskatchewan saying no to the idea. But what other league in the world has 2 teams with the same name. It made the CFL unique.

Clint, I was just cheerleading tonite, and not even for the whole game.

Mike no crutches.
Old September 14th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Always room for one more

Well I'm as pleased as punch. Saw my friend with the power steering parts at Summit tonight, and stopped by his house afterward. Got a hopped up generator, power steering pump, hoses, and assorted brackets and all the hardware.

Coolish night out and there were lots of cars at the cruise in. Probably 200, a rarity these days. Not one Oldsmobile. Some nice hot rods.

Dogs want a treat. Not a bad idea. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:18 PM

Thanks Allan. Mike there are a lot of driver cars there. Sorry for the multiple pics of my buds car, I was trying to get something for Big Jerrs calendar, but too much in the background.

Last edited by 1969w3155; September 14th, 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Captain Starfire

Morning, folks. Been a run of nice weather down here. Made it back to the Plantation safely Saturday. In fact, outside the fact that we ate at Arby's and not Cracker Barrel, it was a perfect trip. I have to say, the little 4-banger in the Fusion rolls nice at 75, even with a load and the A/C. Can't complain. Sure a far cry from my Vega of 40-some-odd years ago.

Thank for the pic's, Dan. Real nice show.

Sweet Duster, Norton. I test drove a '73 340 Demon at Gentilly Dodge (was a Sr. in fall of '73) and was duly impressed. It was a red one. I don't recall seeing many (if any) black ones back then. I think Dodge must've gotten some flak about the name "Demon," as they switched to Dart Sport after a coupley years.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
[Forgive de mental pic]
Dat's axing a lot, Jamesbo.

Mike, Year One seems to have taken a back seat in the Buick resto parts business; but when I was buying parts for my red one, they were the big boys on the block. Now, it's PartsPlace, PartsPlace, PartsPlace. I think the customer service at Y.O. was superior, however. Not overly impressed with the attitude of P.P. in general, although they are re-popping a lot of parts nobody else does... and for that, I am grateful.

Y'all have a fab one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; September 15th, 2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Not quite as cool this morning, looks like another perfect day here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. After my morning errands I plan on working on the Chev.

Glad you had a good trip, John. It's nice to get away, but it's nice to get home. Was it Dodge or Plymouth who was going to call Plum Crazy, Statutory Grape, until the higher ups said oh no you don't.

Dogs scarfed down their breakfast in nothing flat this morning. Must have been a tough night of running in their sleep. There's something in the big piles of brush in the back yard that they've been worrying over and now they are out jumping around like jumping beans.

Okay gonna hit the road. Hope everyone has a good Tuesday.
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:38 AM

Mawn'in all

Like Mike said

John, Glad cha had a safe trip home. Ever eat at de turkey house near Montgomery. Kinda different road food.

Sammy tanks again, I am amazed how putting oil on the steering wheel werked sooooooooo good.

Played pretty good on de front 43 but fell apart on de back side.

FWIW, My crystal ball sees anutter project fer Mike in de near future.
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

WTH? My post that was here 20 minutes ago is gone!
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Captain Starfire

Mike, I sure never heard of Statutory Grape~! Didn't think that would be kosher even in the swingin' 60s & 70s! But I did find a site that mentions it as a rejected color.

Jamesbo, is that Bates? Yes, we've eaten there once. Not really bad, but prolly won't go back. Seemed to me like the kind of cafeteria food they served me in grade school. But maybe that's just me. Price sure didn't break the budget, so maybe you get whatcha pay fer... I always feel like I get a good deal and good food at "The Barrel." Iffin' you're a fish-eatin' guy, it's real hard to beat the haddock dinner.

Right now, I'm just waitin' for the annual treatment from the termite guy. Rates right up there with dentist visit....
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Yep Bates, sum'in different but better dan my gramar school
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:37 AM

Right now, I'm just waitin' for the annual treatment from the termite guy. Rates right up there with dentist visit....
Ya know, George Washington probably had the same thought! He probably got a discount for a two fer one! O.K. I'm done
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Always room for one more

Well getting my gas tank worked on was a bust. The guy at the radiator place said they don't mess with gas tanks anymore, since you can get one for just about anything fairly cheeply. I said there isn't anything wrong with mine, just some rust and scale. He said I could call this other guy but he'd tell me the same thing.

So I've got some muriatic acid, I could put a gallon of that in the tank with some chain and shake it up. Will anything bad happen, besides being overcome from the fumes? After that I'll coat the inside with that black stuff. Is there anything better I could use besides muriatic acid?

Jamesbo did you talk to that guy with the Chevy?

Saw my neighbor when I was driving back home this morning and he put his window down and said I'm going to the Awful house for some breakfast. So I turned around and went and sat with him, the girls gave me a funny look when I went back in after leaving an hour earlier. I hadn't seen him in awhile it was nice to talk.

Okay gotta do something.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Mike, Nope I haven't spoken wit him. I didn't wanta spoil yourr fun
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Always room for one more

Oh, then I know what project you're talking about...
Old September 15th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, is muriatic acid (and a chain) a demonstrated remedy for a rusty tank issue? Personally, I'd stick with some rust neutralizer... that muriatic acid is nasty stuff, especially on metal. (I've used it on concrete before and it is amazing, although as you said you need to watch the fumes (and your shoes!) Not saying absolutely verboten... just a new one on me...

In any case, you'd have to do some thorough neutralization when you were done, eh?

Dan, I heard that termite juice has a terrible aftertaste, too... Whept, I guess the fact of the matter is I just don't care for this guy too much. Just too much BS. But I launched the last guy a couple years ago for various reasons and feel that going with another one would probably not make me any happier after a year or two. One big problem is he literally hoses the whole place with this crap. It looks like it rained outside. It sure would be nice to be able to grow a few edible things around the house ... I have two rosemary bushes and I don't think they came thru unscathed. And I don't know how much this poison costs, but it takes him 10 minutes and it's $125. Maybe the rest of us are in the wrong racket?

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; September 15th, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old September 15th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think I'm done messing with the tank. I poured about a quart of muriatic acid into the tank and sloshed it around and then went and had lunch. Came back and poured it out and all it did was make a mess. So I rinsed. Then I took a half gallon of vinegar and a half gallon of water and put in there with a small chain, did a mexican hat dance, let it sit, danced some more, poured it out. Did a couple more rounds with just water and chain, and then neutralized with baking soda. It is surprisingly clean inside. I'm not even going to coat it. I noticed a couple repairs that I didn't remember, so no more effort. If it comes out again I'll get a new one. John muriatic acid is one of the things I've heard works with this method.

Tomorrow I'll clean up the rest of the parts, paint where necessary, and start the reassembly. Then it's on to the brakes. Not a fan of compression fittings on the brake lines.

It's absolutely gorgeous out, think I'll finish my mowing.
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:25 PM

Just stopping in for a quick Hi tonite.
Old September 16th, 2015, 04:08 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Just a quick stop in. Hope everyone has a great Humpday.
Old September 16th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I woke up this morning thinking about all the cars I was going to work on today, and then I get this voicemail that promises nothing but drama and grief. Debating on whether I should even call this guy back. I'm not one to leave a guy high and dry, but I'm tapped out with him.

So what I -plan- on doing is wash the Corvette, work on the Chev some more, and mess around with the AC on the Dodge van. Need to trim up the yard a little bit as well.

But first, Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 16th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice one today

Mike, I don't wanta tell ya what to do BUT. I would seal de inside of dat gas tank before it rust again

Er, John,Why not do it yourself. It ain't exactly rocket science.

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 16th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Rained all day yesterday.
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:16 AM

I see that it is Scot's birthday today per facebook notifications...Happy Bday Scot!!!
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
i see that it is scot's birthday today per facebook notifications...happy bday scot!!!

Old September 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Captain Starfire

A little overcast, and getting back to the "muggies" down here. Thank goodness the 90s haven't reared their ugly head in a while, however.

Jamesbo, I guess I'm buffaloed -- they got me thinking it IS rocket science. If I got some bad termites after doing it myself, I'd feel even dumber than usual. I figger $125 and seein' my sprayin' buddy for 10 minutes is a pill to swallow, but not too bitter to take once a year. I'm jes turnin' into a big curmudgeon.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Make dat 3, Scot.

Glad it worked out fer ya', Mike... Learn sumpin' new every day.

Clint, need to curb those long messages.

Got an email promo from Original Parts Group last nite. They have the reman. Buick 15x7's for $200 apiece thru tonite. That's a mighty good price. Coppertone has the 14x6 skinny-minnies and I originally intended to upgrade to the "good" ones. But that was then....

Have a great humpity, Oldsmofriends.
Old September 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Old September 16th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Always room for one more

Breaktime.

Jamesbo you think I should coat the tank? I'd have to read the directions on some products, if I can coat it when it's not 100% clean then it's no biggie. But I'm not putting a lot more effort into it. I didn't have fuel system problems before, I took it down because the sender didn't work.

John are those 15x7's the same as the big cars? I see a few of those every now and then in the junkyard. 70's Centurions show up now and then with them. I know they are different center caps.

Scot hope you're whoopin' it up today instead of schlepping golf carts. Well, wear a party hat when you go into your offices.

Okay back out to wash the Corvette. I genuinely dislike that car.
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Captain Starfire

15 X 7s

No, Mike, they're specific to the A body Buicks... In addition to a different bolt pattern, they actually have a different design.... Thanks!

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; September 16th, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:42 PM

Sorry Allan, I can't read your hand writing.
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Frost here overnight. Furnace just kicked in.

Dan, oops. I put an extra 1 by mistake. One hundred and eleven meelyun..... Adrian would be proud that my handwriting is so terrible.

Went to Costco yesterday and got out relatively unscathed. A refill of propane (20 lbs) only cost $6.14! That a nice change from the local propane vendor who charges 22.00 a hit whether it's empty or part full.

John, I think I'm going to replace the Cutlass wheels with aftermarket 15 x 7 when it comes around next year. So hard to find 225/70/14 anymore. Hopefully I can get tire sizes that don't affect the speedo.

Paul, how's the tendinitis med working?

Enjoy your Thors day.
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin,

Frost and curling....old man winter is knocking on the door

Of course upside down gas tank pad and crappy looking tank straps have me up early to fix before work.

Have a day
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:31 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

At the shop early this morning. Had to go get groceries this morning and figured I'd get in here early as well.

Sorry, John, I'll try to keep it short.

Have a Thursday all.
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice, nice day. I'm going to drive down to Warm Springs today and see the Little White House. Been gonna do that for years, just have never done it.

Called that guy back yesterday, against my better judgement. He said his car had been stolen, which I didn't believe, and he needed to move a bunch of stuff from here to there to wherever, when he started in with "you need to do this..." I tuned out.

Quick stop at the Awful house then it's off to WS. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:42 AM

WTF my post disappeared
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:26 AM

Mawn'in all

Let's try dis a-gain

Blue bird day down ere

Donny came by an before he could finish one beer he saw de problem wit de tractor. I love 1 beer fixes. De safety switch wire going to de transmixer had gotten pulled loose. Donny 's a frigg'in mechanical genius.

Wish he would sign on more but he's pretty busy look'in after 300 + engines dat get torn up every day at de golf course

Mike, I may head up tomorrow. Want me to jes buy dat chebby?
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted, naw you don't have to. I left mine upside down and Parton says there no functional difference. Besides, who's going to look there except you or the muffler shop?

Clint, where do you get groceries that early in the morning?

Heading out shortly, might have to use the scraper on the windshield.

Hoping to hear back from someone about a question. Maybe he knows something I don't about small engine repair. If not I'm just gonna call it a day and turf it.

Oh yay, gas is up again....because they can. That's what the business analyst said anyway.
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all... had a good "overcasty" walk at Ponchatoula Park at zero-dark-30 this morning. Then went see somebody comparable to the termite man: the dentist. All's pretty much intact, thank goodness.

Anyhoots, I'll be taking the weekend off from the TV, radio, Internet, etc. to try and refurb the spirit a bit... just turning down the noise. I'll prolly rejoin the human race in time to see the Saint's game on Sunday; but not sure that's so wise given their prognosis for the season.

In any case, y'all have a fab weekend, Oldsmofriends.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back a little while ago from Warm Springs. Very informative. I'm not a fan of FDR per se, but it sounds like he did an awful lot for the country. Didn't know he was a Dutchman, like me.

Sure Jamesbo, I'll have a trailer parade on my way back home.

John good luck with the refurb. Are you going somewhere as a retreat, or just laying low at home?

Plenty of daylight left so I need to get something done so the day wasn't a total folly. But hey, I learned stuff so that's good.
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Well there goes my attendance. I've missed a day.

Was busy working last night.

Just a quick visit tonite.

My foot is feeling better and even took the Mustang out for a short drive tonite for the first time this week.

Have a good Friday everyone!
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:11 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Paul, good to hear it's improving. Hope it's back to normal soon.

Jamesbo, If I were closer, I'd let you hire me to fix stuff around there. just don't make me deal with the public anymore.

John, I really should do that. It was great being up at Taylor Park and not being around any of that. I'm addicted to it when I'm plugged in, but don't miss it at all when I'm out of reach.

Allan, Our Kroger(King Soopers) opens at 5. they used to be 24 hours back when the economy was good.

Going to the roundy round races tonight. I have a date with the hottest chick in town and we are gonna try to knock off work a bit early as we have to drive about an hour to the track. It's the last local race for the kid who works for me. I haven't been to a race of his yet this year.

Have a weekend all.