The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo now you tell me. Actually we were driving on Peachtree St. and I wanted to go past the Fox and go to Mary Mac's. I think we were too far north.

Still haven't left the house. Ordinarily I'd be gone and back by now, but my friends like to sleep in. Eh, won't hurt me for a couple days. The dogs are doing very well with strangers in the house, actually all three of us are creatures of habit but it's nice to see these people, it's been a long time.

Not sure what we're going to do today. I'd like to go see the Little White House. I'll let them search around on their phones for places they'd like to see.

Okay got to light a (subtle) fire. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Captain Starfire

Decent enough day

Slightly muggy, but no Elsie and not too hot or cold. Can't complain. Repast last nite was very nice. Grilled some boneless chicken breasts, baked some taters, cauliflower, and a little salad. To me, the highlight was the chocolate peanut-butter pie our neighbor made and brought... Lookin' forward to leftovers tonite. Very nice folks who call Chipley, FL, home. (I'd never heard of it before.)

Jamesbo, be sure to bring your walking shoes when you come up and we'll do it. Here are a few mor pic's I took at the Dam and the Clay Co. Recreation Park.

Whelpt, continue to have a great L.D. weekend & holiday, Oldsmofriends.
Old September 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM

The "original" one, would that be "The Great One?"
Well, actually I was referring to Jamesbos pic of that Ferrari GTO, from whence the name came, but Pontiac did use "The Great One" in their ads, I think that it was even in those vintage video road tests that were/are available on dvd (I have 'em).
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Finally got going this morning and decided to go to the new Denny's, which is just down the street from the Awful house. We got seated right away and got drinks but thirty minutes later the server had yet to come back, so we got up and told the hostess we needed to pay for our drinks and leave. She said just go ahead have a nice day. We got the distinct impression this was not the first time for this. So we went to the diner and had a great meal.

We thought about going to the zoo today. I knew it would be busy but when we got up to Grant Park it was a disaster. There was some music fest thing going on, tents set up all over the place, and absolutely no parking. We left Grant Park and decided to check out the Delta museum. I hadn't been there since it reopened and my friends seemed interested. What a great time we had, the museum was very well done. Then we went up to Marietta for pizza and came home and had gin and tonic.

It's been an awesome weekend. I've known my friend for 43 years this weekend. We've reminisced a lot and had some good laughs. I hate that the weekend is over already. Always good getting together.

John I'll take that walk with you again. Nice scenery around there.

Dan I want to get the last GTO and then get Holden badges for it, so it looks like I have a left hand drive Monaro. I'm probably not the first person to have thought of that.

Okay gonna hit the sack early, tomorrow will be a challenging sleep day. Up early to get my friends to their rental car by noon, then come back and try to sleep before work. Have a good night everyone.
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Rained here all yesterday and early today. Very cool like October weather. Bought a new weed eater Saturday but haven't had a chance to use it. Gloomy damp Labor Day.
Old September 7th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from taking my friends up to the airport to get their rental car. They are driving to Savannah/Hilton Head for the week, and then dropping the car when they fly out next Sunday. I suggested they get the car at the airport so they'd return at the same place, because at the time I wasn't going to be here when they left. I love my friends but it's nice to have the house back to normal. The dogs did very well with company.

Work tonight. Got three then off 10. My friend Leo wants to come hang out this next weekend. Imagine, company two weeks in a row.

Beautiful day here. Gonna sleep a couple hours and then get the routine started. See ya's all later. Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day.
Old September 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Happy Labor Day All

Tropically muggy with hit and miss sprinkles here and there.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Went to Awful House #1507 didn't see Mike maybe it''s because it 75 miles away
Originally Posted by slantflat

Jamesbo you were only 76 away from me. The one I go to is #1583. So there really is one every mile.
We sat down at #1663 this a.m.

Scot was it the AMXs that had Big Bad colors? Pretty cool machines that I thought deserved a better audience than what they got.
Yeah on the AMX and Javelin. There were 3 colors in '69 & '70. B B Blue, B B Orange & B B Green. Never cared for the Javelin, but the 2-seater AMX of '68 - '70 was one bad car. Especially the factory SS AMX race cars

Checklist from Hurst on SS AMX #36

Old September 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Naw, that would translate directly to TGO instead of GTO. And you'd have to have 99 of them to make it worth while..
I don't get your reference to Dustin Johnson's father in law? In 67 Pontiac executives referred to the GTO as "the great one." A 68 ad caused a bit of bother to GM and they stopped using "the great one" to refer to the model.
Old September 7th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not sure I slept much this afternoon but feel pretty good and ready for work. It spit some rain a little while ago and the dogs went crazy. They must have heard thunder farther off than I can hear. Sun never went under and it's nice out now.

Clint I think I was trying to describe to you a barbeque place we go when I'm in Denver. It's called Rib City. Good stuff.

Scot when I was a kid a guy down the street had a black 70-something Javelin, the one with the big front fenders, and it had that bizarre pink and white interior. Actually not a bad looking car. I liked the AMC cars of the 70s, probably because I saw them at the dealer all the time while Dad's car was getting repaired.

Okay off to work. Have a good night everyone. Short week for sure.
Old September 7th, 2015, 04:26 PM

that bizarre pink and white interior.
The Pierre Cardin edition,seen one earlier this year at a car show.
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:41 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Well we are on page 442 here in the thread (at least on my puter).

Mike, I've never been to rib city, I'll have to give it a shot. It's south but at least its still on the west side. Probably only 15 minutes from the shop, and about 25 from home.

There were a couple of Javelin's at the cruise on Sat. It wasn't as busy as they've been in the past (maybe it's petering out or maybe because it was on a 3 day weekend) I had a spot to park at the Sonic. Grabbed a small bite then went home. It wasn't as much fun without a hot blonde sitting next to me. I saw a WIP 66 442 Vert. It had a pretty blue fresh paint (Not fully buffed and polished)

John, that sure is a nice looking area.

Well we spent the day fishing yesterday. Didn't catch anything, but still had a good time. And the best part of getting skunked is no fish to clean. I need to restring our reels. Starting to get some kickbacks and loops.

The kid got back late last night from the grand canyon trip. Traffic had to be real bad. She was about 2.75 hours away (normally) at 4:20 p.m. and she came thru the door a little after 10:00

Have a Tuesday all.
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:34 AM

Mawn'in all

Me thinks Elsie is on her way

Mike, Kinda look at Ponce De Leon [where Mary Mac's is] as 1st street. BTW if ya went to de Botanical center sum how ya got from Peachtree to Piedmont. De Colonnade is just a few blocks north where Piedmont and Cheshire Bridge split

Sorry de zoo was a zoo, it was when we went to Sandy and John also remember?

Sammy de oil on de steering wheel trick werked great now do ya have an extra starter switch fer a Massey. Mine went TU yesterday while bush hogging.

GTG Have a great [and short] week Olds friends

http://gardenandgun.com/article/end-...d-peanut-power
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning
Went to the boneyard yesterday and had some fun taking stuff apart. Got what I needed and a bit more. They even had some 60s cars, and 80s Olds. Lots of 70s Pontiacs and the usual assortment of newer stuff. 50% off weekend, almost every car lost its wheels.

Cold get up here. Some places got frost and snow. We're lucky it's still over 40 here. Should warm up later, but the weather dude guarantees afternoon and evening thunder storms.

I don't need PMs after the fact about what the great one is/was. I believe the point has already been made that I'm not a Pontiac expert.

Time to watch the kids trundle off to school. First day back for most of them here.
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Captain Starfire

Heydey Heidie

Cloudy and some mist today, but at least it was mild, if a bit muggy. But I'll take it. Mountains still look nice.

Started off the day with yet another sojourn to the dam & campgrounds. Just couldn't help snappin' a couple more pic's with the POS phone cam. Better half just bought both of us smart phones, so I'll be on the fast track to the 21st Century within a week. I guess it'll take some gettin' used to, but there are so many things on 'em, I guess it's high time I took the plunge. If you can avoid the I-Phones and Galaxy's, they ain't all that steep, neither.

Had a nice time at our neighbors last night. They did up some poke chops and taters, and we brought some corn. Blueberry pie a la mode wrapped up the evening, although they didn't make coffee and I didn't ask. That would have put the cherry on the icing. But a good time was had by all.

Mike, you're moth is becoming a butterfly! Glad your hosting foray was a success. Hope this weekend goes as swimmingly.

Thanks, Clint. I had to post the couple I took this morning for your viewing pleasure.

What kind of whacker didja get, Allan? Poulan?

Whelpt, y'all have a great rest o'week, Oldsmofriends.
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home and in bed early this morning. The dogs got me up around noon, and I couldn't get back to sleep, so finally got up around 130. Not long after it started raining, so I figured that was the time I would have gotten up anyway. Rain didn't last long and now the sun is out and it's nice.

Jamesbo the zoo the other day was way worse than when we were there before. The parking lots were full, they were all blocked off, and even the streets were full many blocks away. We made the wise decision to not stay. Also found out the Cyclorama has been closed since June. Pity. Part of the history of the painting was that it's been in the same place for over 100 years.

Clint you know what they say about fishing...

Saw that Martin Milner died. Route 66 was before my time but I saw plenty of episodes of Adam 12. He was an avid camper and took his family out roughing it in a Corvair Greenbrier campmobile.

Guess I'll skedaddle. Tomorrow is hump day, and my Friday, so just got to get through this one. Have a good night everyone.
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Captain Starfire

Sorry to hear about Martin Milner, Mike. He was always a likable character, IMHO. May his soul be rocked in the bosom of Abraham.
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yup page 442 here too Clint Too bad on getting skunked, better luck next time

Like Mike, I didn't come along soon enough to see Route 66, but I loved Adam-12. There are a few notable Oldsmobiles in the re-runs. You used to could watch them all on Netflix, but not sure if they're still on there.

Anybody need a cart?

Mike I finally got some flyers printed. I did them in photo paper and in 4"x6" size. They turned out really nice and legible for the smaller size. And a whole lot cheaper than the standard 8 1/2" x 11" My burpday is coming up next week, so I'm waiting to see if hopefully I'll have another reason to go

Allan I wish our junk yards were like that
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:31 PM

Well I've got to be part of page 442!

This summer has been really busy with work and still working on the Cutlass.

Some problems solved and some new ones popped up.

I'll try to get caught up again. Hopefully I'll be able to be around a bit more this time.
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:07 AM
CQR

Mornin all and WB Paul.

Not much new. John, Those pic's look good to me. Heck the wifes Ipad takes better pics than our Canon Rebel.

Scot Happy Birfday early in case I miss it.

Well I ended up with an Echo Chainsaw. It worked really well on the elm tree out front I needed to clean up. I need to dice up the branch I cut off to fit into the stove. If it were any bigger the 18" bar wouldn't have been big enough. I'm not much for climbing trees anymore. Lots of rat damage up there. I still need to get someone to come out and clean up all the dead branches and make them look a bit better. It seems to be pretty infested with Elm Bark beetles. I'll have to look into that as well.

Have a humpday all.
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Challenging night. Had to move the plane more than once after we got it in the hangar, because the foreman thought there was a big storm coming. There wasn't. Then I tried to change a wing illumination light and the cover broke. Had trouble getting it back together. Then I volunteered to help change out the quick disconnects on the brakes. Mine were the back ones right next to the scissor links. What a pain. All the while the lead found something wrong with everything I did. I don't know what his problem was, we all worked our asses off. Glad I'm home. I'm beat and I'm a mess. Gonna shower up before bed.

Clint my chain saw is 20" and I tell you I'd never have anything less. I'm really spoiled with the big bar. I've used smaller saws and they feel like toys.

Howdy Paul. You say that every time. We need to hold you to sticking around.

Amen John.

Scot my next trip to Summit will be in October.

Okay had to vent about my night. Now time for bed. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', folks. Looks like a nice visit from Elsie most o'day today.

Scot, forgive me on two counts. First, did I miss yer berfday? If so, Happy Belated. Second, if this has been discussed here before, mea culpa: Are you relatd to the donating family of Hardman Farm GA State Park near Helen? My years must be catchin' up with me, 'cause I can't recall whether we've discussed before.

Mike, hope you had a great work nite; that'll feel fab to have all that time off (I hope!).

Anyhoots, puttin' up lattices outside (weather permitting) and doin' some paint touchup indoors today.

Y'all have a fab Humpity, Oldsmofriends.
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:24 AM

m

Elsie done came and went

Mike, They're moving de Cyclorama from 'the hood" to Buckhead [Atlanta History Center ]My understanding is they're moving the Texas [train from the great locomotive chase] also. Now you can view the thing w/o a 50/50 chance of being stabbed.

Paul Don't be such a stranger

John, "bout o'dark thirty, I was sipp'in sum java and it dawned on me. why don't ya move from de swamp to de mountains?

Clint, If I had de opportunity, I'd have a big bar and a toy chain saw. Course, I'd also have a tractor for every implement so I wouldn't have to change from a bush hog to a plow to a scrape blade.

Allan, I fear you've lost me again with de card thing in anutter thread

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning
Cold and very foggy, visibility was down to 150'. Taking its own sweet time to lift. News says there's a number of smershes as a result. The new train line started operation yesterday. It's like taking the slow boat to China because they haven't figured how the signal system will work with fully integrated CBTC. City planners say some safety certificates missing. Signal contractor says they are not. Total snafu as they're running everything manually. Traffic waits of 5 minutes at lights for two 3 car trains to pass at each grade crossing. Taking the train was spoda be fast. It's only 2 minutes faster than riding a bike or driving a car. Test done by local news crew.

Jim, dunno what you're referring to. Is it a broadcast card?

Paul, hi! See ya in another 2 months? You guys are having quite the heat wave down there. You get the Cutlass out much this year?

Scot, can't see on the eye pad whose birfday it is. Hope you have/had a good one.
Old September 9th, 2015, 08:30 AM

My burpday is coming up next week
Well, don't burp too much!
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Allan cards in the "Jack" thread
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Oh dat! It was showing "Jack of all Trades". and you know the second part is 'and master of nothing'.
Old September 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM

duh, I get it now. I was thinking Jack hammer etc.
Old September 9th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Fog finally burned off. Patchy sun/cloud. Still only about 55°. I should go out and see about cutting/trimming the lawns. Mebbe work on the car too.

Clint - I looked online and found the torque sequence on the solenoid cover. IIRC it doesn't have a gasket so I'm good with just torquing it down after I pop in that replacement. 19 friggen bolts. Wonder why only 13 of them are in the torque pattern. Does the cover plate need a specific torque pattern? I hope I can re-use that original cover gasket - they are not cheap.
Old September 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept surprisingly well today, had more rain mid afternoon. I'm beginning to think I live in Central Florida. My boy paced back and forth a little bit then just went and laid down in the bathroom. My girl got up on the bed with me and went to sleep. Gee, could we finally be getting the message that the rain won't get us?

John when I got home this morning I felt like I had had a terrible night. But thinking about it, it was just stuff that happens when you work irregular maintenance. Tonight is Friday. Probably an engine change or something. Hope not.

Scot are you throwing a bash?

Jamesbo, a tractor for every occasion? Now you're sounding like me.

Okay gonna hit the road. Have a good night everyone.
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:02 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy all

It is so tropically humid here you could cut the air with a knife "If it weren't so dang hot"
Originally Posted by CQR
Scot Happy Birfday early in case I miss it.

Well I ended up with an Echo Chainsaw.
Thank ye It's next Wednesday, I believe

Good choice on the saw.
Scot my next trip to Summit will be in October.
How long do they continue to hold the Cruise Ins? I need to make it up there before Oct. There are many conflicting events on the date of RWYB 10 so I need to get up there soon. Too bad I wasn't ready when you mentioned it
Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee

Scot, forgive me on two counts. First, did I miss yer berfday? If so, Happy Belated. Second, if this has been discussed here before, mea culpa: Are you relatd to the donating family of Hardman Farm GA State Park near Helen? My years must be catchin' up with me, 'cause I can't recall whether we've discussed before.
No forgiveness needed John 1st no, but thank you early. 2nd, yes. You do mean the Indian Mound in the middle of the pasture? The Native American version of Romeo & Juliette. Also had my history traced back to the Pilgrim voyage on that side of the fambly and even a two term Governor of GA in the late 20's early 30's.
Originally Posted by Allan R
Scot, can't see on the eye pad whose birfday it is. Hope you have/had a good one.

Scot are you throwing a bash?
Thank you Al, not planning much. If I do anything it'll be weekend after next.
Catch y'all soon
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:29 PM

Good evening everyone!

Ok, I'm 2 for 2!

Good luck with the tree work Clint.

Mike, I'm going to try harder this time. Car season is starting slow down, so I should have a bit more time.

Allan, it has be really hot for this time of year. There were a few days this week with overnight temps in the low 20's (high 60's in *F). On the weekend it was mid-30's for the high and it felt like the low 40's (mid 90's and low 100's *F).

I haven't had the Cutlass out as much as I would have liked this summer. I still had the overheating issue early in the summer. I finally got it running cooler by putting a much richer carb on, which was too rich. This did allow me to take it to a very large show in NY state but I was only getting 8-9mpg (US). Once I was home, I put the old carb back on and it is running warm, but not as bad as before and I'm now getting 12mpg (US). I'm also having issues with the brakes.

We've had fog quite a bit here lately, but it burns off quickly.

They've been adjusting all the major bus routes here this summer due to construction of our new light rail lines. Yesterday was the first day of fall service. One major station had some changes made to it and it ended up slowling transit all over the city. Heading downtown, 5-10 minutes bus rides were turning into over an hour.
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yay Paul!
Bummer about the mileage on the Cutlass. That's about what I'm expecting out of mine though.

Don't envy your temps and humidity. Spoda warm up to mid 20's tomorrow and upper 20's by Friday.

Anyone see that plane in Vegas that burned just short of take off? British Airways. Less than 20 injured. Crew got accolades from the passengers. NTSB investigation coming up. Jeez that would freak me out if I was a passenger by that engine that caught fire!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/09/us/las...ire/index.html
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:16 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, I would just tighten in a criss cross pattern and you should be alright.

Mike, irregular maintenance? Is that when the plane just doesn't give a $&#%?

Jamesbo, I have a 16" electric and this 18" gas. I really don't want anything bigger. If I need bigger, I'll call someone else to do it.

John, Lead Elsie up this way. My lawn could use a little. Been real dry for a while, Also noticed a definite nip under the housecoat when going out to feed the mules this morning.

Have a Day all.
Old September 10th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Friday guys with a Monday lead, which means we stayed till the end. You know what, who cares because I'm on vacation. Clint that would be the mechanics. Irregular maintenance is simply anything that isn't scheduled.

Scot the cruise ins last through October. Attendance starts to wane the last few weeks because it gets a little cool to be sitting out when it starts getting dark. Still worth going.

Gonna hit the sack for a couple hours then head back to the airport to pick up a friend of mine. Not real thrilled about company two weeks in a row, but it will be good to see him. And if it doesn't rain the whole time he's here we might get a car or two worked on.

See you's all later.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thursday AM already

Clint, thanks. Yeah I think your weather is similar to ours sort of. Mornings here are dipping to mid 40s. Forecast is for snow here next Tuesday. Way too early. Just took out the trash and it was sprinkling slightly. Clouds looked like they could bring a bit of moisture next hour or so.

Adrian, how's thee new jeep working out?

Scot, what number is this year? 44? You're still so young.
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik g'mawnin'

Spose to rain again today, but we got our walk in already without Elsie.

Clint, I sent a little moisture up your way. (I did a little CO rain dance.)

Got 6 curtain rods up yesterday and the better half got the curtains up. They look nice, I must say. It doesn't appear I'll be doing any more outdoor painting this trip. Just a little indoor wall touch-up will be on today's "to do" list. I have all the wood cut for my lattice frame, but I won't put it together or paint it this time. And it doesn't appear any more bike riding is on the menu, either. But the Yammie's clean'r'n a whistle, under the cover, and tender on, ready for a weeks-long nap.

Jamesbo, that was our intention when we bought this place, but it's tough giving up the Plantation right now, especially w/ Aunt Carmy looming large. It may happen in the future. But we have the best of two worlds, and we like it as long as we can make ends meet.

Scot, I don't know much about the farm; just happened to see something about Hardman Farm on the Visitors' Information Channel up here. Seems to be a real item of interest for tourists and inquisitive natives alike. Never seen it, myself.

Whelpt, y'all enjoy Thor's day, Oldsmochums.
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Good day all, well it's been sometime since I've been on this site. Had to sell the 71 Supreme, as money was needed somewhere else. Since then things have improved and I was able to buy 2 new classic cars. I bought a 1972 Supreme Convertible and an off brand. Please don't shoot me but I also bought a 1972 Plymouth Duster 340. So I started reading the forms, and I didn't see anything from cutlassgal, I hope nothing has happened to her. While I guess that I have a lot reading to do.
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Mawn'in all

Bulldog, Unfortunately Sandy lost her long battle with cancer an has gone home to glory We all miss her terribly

Woke up dis mawn'in a de puter wouldn't werk. Thought it might have been caused by the light'in storm we had last nite. Finally gave up fiddling wit it and called Patel in Agra. All's well now

Since there aren't any tractor places around here no more [ Tractor Supply don't count cause de ain't got $hit] I had to drive 30 miles norte to Cumming, [real name] GA to get a new starter switch fer de Massey.

Well time to plug and play wit de new starter switch
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Bulldog, Unfortunately Sandy lost her long battle with cancer an has gone home to glory We all miss her terribly

Wow Jamesbo, I guess that I've been away much longer than I thought. I had no idea that she was battling cancer. That is really sad to hear.
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:22 PM

I'm looking for some front bumper fillers for a 72 Oldsmobile delta88 if any body out there know something letelse know