The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, I don't think any of the airlines give much thought to passengers who choose to fly economy. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw when you fly a regional carrier that actually gives economy passengers leather seating, plenty of legroom and decent aisle space. I didn't a notice the attendants were chunky, in fact they appear slim and trim.

Planning a trip to the southwest for next year. Savannah might be one of the stopping places. Also interested in the big easy, Myrtle Beach and Orlando ( or the keys ). Airfare doesn't seem to be outrageous and car rentals all look like unlimited miles for decent rates. Likely the carrier will be Air Canada or United. I'll see closer to year end.
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin,

I will be by for breakfast I a couple of months Allan

Last edited by sammy; July 27th, 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Always room for one more

Oh so I went over to my neighbor's at the shop to settle up on the van. I had dropped it off and asked him to charge the air conditioning. Thirty Five bucks. He couldn't find the leak, but said it's cooling great and the retrofit that someone had done in the past looked good. I figured it would be hundreds. I told him I was gonna get some Freon for the Cadillac and the blue van. He said Freon is still being made in Mexico and that it's DuPont that got it outlawed here because they came up with something new they wanted to sell.

Clouding up and looking like rain. Got close to 100 today, hope that doesn't stir up a thunder storm. I'm headed out in a few minutes to hit Summit. First time I can make the cruise in in weeks.

There was a big car display at the Celina lake festival this weekend. Not a lot of Oldsmobiles, and less Buicks. Not really a lot of anything. There was a General Lee and no one seemed offended. A handful of early Corvairs. A couple 57 Chevy's. In years past there was an early Ford truck like Clint's, but I didn't see it this year.

Think I'll grab a sandwich at Jimmy Johns. That will be almost as good as the White Castle I had on the way home yesterday.
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:03 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by slantflat
He said Freon is still being made in Mexico and that it's DuPont that got it outlawed here because they came up with something new they wanted to sell.
Sounds about right too, depleting the ozone they claim. Yeah right, my aching hiney... Just like this global warming bs...

Anywho if the mexticans are making it, then it should be cheap cheap. Well they can't ship it, so one would probably need to go to LA or TX to get any that reasonable. Wonder if they make R22 as well? John!! Have you seen any your way???
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Planning a trip to the southwest for next year
Allan, my directionally challenged friend, the places that you plan on visiting are in the Southeast!
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:40 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

You're right. there are a bunch of legislators that have much fuller pockets once they banned R-12. They knew they were gonna do it and had bought the stock prior.

Mike chalk one up to experience, I doubt I'll fly Spirit again. They pack you in tighter than anyone I've ever flown, and after paying $40 each way for my carry on backpack, I didn't save much money.

Dan I was going to say something like that but wasn't sure how much the polar axis had shifted overnight since the sun hasn't risen yet.

Allan, I did fall asleep on the way out but I had mt earbuds in and I didn't seem to wake the lady next to me. (The missus could take some lessons from her.)

I like this one.

Old July 28th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Summit was okay last night, one Oldsmobile, a 67 442. Walked around a little, saw a guy I know, bought two quarts of oil, went home.

Clint I assumed you were flying United. I doubt they would have been much better, but I don't think they charge for carry on bags. To fly Delta out of Denver, you'd have to connect through Atlanta, or maybe Detroit. You could probably drive quicker.

Savannah, Texas, is close to DFW airport.

Think I'll take in the junkyard today. Maybe go try to figure out the belt on my mower over at the shop. But first....

Have a good day everyone.
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:10 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Tue's Day Mawnin All

Clint that shirt is a hoot! Those airline prices keep going up and up and up. Was it someone here that said something to the effect of the weight of the baggage shouldn't matter when a 747 is capable of carrying the space shuttle? I understand it's expensive to maintain them and the fuel isn't cheap, but geesh...

Yep we are in the SE there Al
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:20 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot

If ya wanta really PO me, call a meeting and have me cancel my tee time and no show. De city Finally showed up at 4:00 p.m.
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin,
Dan, Oops, my bad. I know it's Southeast even though it ended up being typed west. On the other hand if all the easterners just picked up and moved their state west that would work too. Then I wouldn't have to fly as far. Seems like airlines aren't the only rip off artists. For car rentals where the drop off is different than the pickup there's a whopping 500.00 difference in price!

Clint, don't let your missus see that shirt. Unless she has a sense of humor that is. BTW up here a checked bag is 25.00 and carry on is free only if it fits the dimensions of a test cart the airlines provide. If not it has to go as checked luggage.united also packs em tight too. Just add a bit of oil and they'd have a plane o sardines!

Jim, sorry to hear. Told ya ya should have taken clubs witcha.

Cut n paste beautimus day shaping up.
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Far as T shirts go? Here's my contribution Jim. Hey it's mostly true....and creates more mystery

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Always room for one more

Nothing to write home about at the junkyard. I think all the good stuff has been found around here and the only things left to go there are repo's and insurance wrecks.

If I were verklempt the subject I'd give to you to discuss would be, what is the big difference between 10W30 and 10W40 synthetic motor oil, specifically in a big block Chevy is one better than the other when towing and hauling.

Nice out, almost 100. This I could deal with all year. I think about 4 I'm gonna go out and mow.
Old July 28th, 2015, 11:27 AM

Mike, if you have a favorite brand of oil, you can generally go to their website and ask, or they may have a FAQ that can be helpful.
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Difference between 10W30 and 10W40 (whether dino oil or synthetic) is the viscosity when it reaches its full operating temp. 30 is less viscous than 40. Simple.

Which one to use when towing? Check your owners manual. It will have a suggestion. It's also dependent on the integrity of the engine.

Verklempt? You mean Verklemmt? Unless you're Yiddish.
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:09 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike usually the 10w30 oil is energy conserving and the 10w40 oils are not. (they have extra friction modifiers in the energy conserving oil)You can't use the Energy conserving oils with a wet clutch as the clutch will slip. Is your big block a flat tappet? I recommend the racing Valvoline or the Rotella due to the extra Zinc found in those for your camshaft lobes.

Jamesbo, that sounds like 'par for the course' when working with the gubmint. (I couldn't let that one pass. Sorry.)

Allan I could use that shirt daily. And it seems to be getting worse.

Have a Humpday all.
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Clint I think I left out a couple of details. This is my 02 Silverado. I've been using Royal Purple 10W30 and it burns a little bit of oil, maybe a quart every 1200 miles. I wondered if I used 10W40 if it wouldn't burn as much oil, or maybe it would be better for the towing that I do.

Yesterday when I was at the shop the dogs completely ripped apart their bedroom door. One more crunch and they would have been out. I don't know what came over them, blue sky with no thunder or rain or anything. Probably the neighbors shot off a gun or something. So today I'm going to get a solid door(or a metal one) and see if that might be better than a hollow one. I tell you...

Okay Awful house then lots to do. See you's all later.
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Mawn'in all

Had to go weed whack around pins and markers before it reached 90

Mike, speak'in of site problem. Your last pm to me won't go away no matter how many times I read it.

Clint, I give the city a daily salvo on a city FB page. Everyone wants me to run fer mayor. I wouldn't dare even think about it. I've got more pride than to get involved in the gutter of politics. Besides, Day one I'd fire everyone of the sorry tit suck'in bureaucrats.

I used to be a Round up guy anyone ever tired the vinegar and dawn fer weeds in pea gravel?
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin
Nuttin new it seems. Enjoy your hump day.
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Mike, what engine is in the Silverado, 5.3 or 6.0? Is this the dually w/the 496?
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Captain Starfire

Happity Humpity

Hadn't said that in a while, so figgered I'd slip it in right off the bat.

Hot as (an appropriate metaphor eludes me). Jes say it's doggone hot. I've been out a few hours every day slowly gettin' the Plantation into the vision I had for it when we moved in over 9 yrs ago. I know you guys will find it hard to believe, but I painted this morning. (patio/deck skirt, in preparation for applying some slivers of lattice underneath, thereby beautifyin' and keepin' critters out from under there).

Got my little Sam's pressure washer squirtin' this week; the O-ring b/w the wand and hose went TU after 15 minutes (I actually took the time to lube it a tad before screwin' on the hose -- that'll learn me), so it was off to Auto Zone to get a $4 assortment of Chinese O-rings. I guess the days of buying one O-ring are gone with the wind, kinda' like antebellum Hotlanta. Workin' good again so far (it's a 2800 psi Simpson / B&S) and for $300, it seems like a decent enough unit. I'd hope I'd get at least a few years out of it, given the light duty it will experience. Also bought a big box of Chinese-made grease fittings, as I always find myself needing one (such as when I serviced the mower last week) and ain't got no stash post-Katrina.

Scot, don't see an oz. of R-12 or R-22 down my way... but then again, ain't all that much traffic b/w here & Mexico, neither~! There's a big gulf between us! I'd love a few lbs. of R-12 myself, since my GS has its original GM setup, and is currently uncharged. If anybody has a deal for me, pls. let me know.

Really enjoying Amazon Prime... It's the best deal in entertainment since Netflix (at least for me), and you get the 2-day shipping on most things go boot. For relatively big Amazon users like us, it's a no-brainer.

Whelpt, let me get a little repast and get out and run a few errands.

Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 29th, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Always room for one more

Dan it's the 496 and 6speed manual. 2500HD not a dually. This truck is awesome. Long bed, extended cab, 4 wheel drive, love it. Definitely a keeper.

So I've been rebuilding the door for the dogs' room. I couldn't find a solid core or metal door in the size I needed, so I have a spare bedroom door I'm going to build a lot more solid than the last one. More structural plywood and metal. Found out there was a thunderstorm in Morrow, about 10 miles away yesterday afternoon, that must be what set them off. I never heard or saw even a minute amount of it.

Jamesbo the site is going crazy. Now Clint has scrolling problems, mine comes and goes, and your messages won't erase. How weird. If you become mayor, the second day you could save your trees. I don't know if the rest of the town council would know what to do with someone who had some integrity in there.

Well, lunch is over so it's back to work. Might work on the car for a little while and then when I need parts I'll go and get hardware for the door at the same time.
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:42 AM

Mike, the 496 was known for using oil, so that might normal for that engine.
Old July 29th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Always room for one more

A friend of mine has always said the Chevy big block has been an oil user. Not sure if the 8.1 has much in common with the 454, just trying to keep the extra quarts(at $8 each) to a minimum.
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CQR

Mike it's basically the same as the 454. It does have roller lifters so you really don't need the extra zinc. And yes they use oil as a normal course of action. For an HD vehicle (+8500 lbs GVW) they accept 1qt for every 100 gallons of fuel as normal.
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John - good to hear from you again! Are you going to use that plastic lattice or cedar? I figure the plastic is good for up here because we don't get the blistering heat. But down there I imagine it would get brittle and crack in a few years? Cedar has such a nice aroma when its fresh, and it's impervious to rot and bugs. Don't know how good it tastes to varmints though.

Mike - from the sounds of it you have a better oil consumption than Ted's X5. I have no scrolling problems or site issues on my puter. Must be something in the air down there. Is it your puter, service provider or something else?? Sounds like a weird problem. Good luck solving it!
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:37 AM
CQR

I only had a scrolling issue that one day. all good now.

By my calculations on the efficiency of that motor comes to 1 quart every hundred miles.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Always room for one more

Holy Cow! One quart every hundred miles? I'm way ahead of the game! I got a consistent 12.5mpg going to Ohio and back, that's with no appreciable load. Big block, 410 gears, and 80mph, not too bad.

So thanks everyone. I'm guessing I should then stick with 10W30 since it has the extra friction modifiers.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

Oh I get it, haha Clint. That's one mile per gallon. Geez I'm a little slow.

Can't edit with the scrolling problem...
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Captain Starfire

Thanks, Allan... Garshk, had it been that long since I posted? ;-) I use the white plastic... Haven't lost any yet to degradation; the wood is a PITA. The house had painted wood ones on the front and we ditched them all about 5 years ago and replaced with the plastic.
Old July 30th, 2015, 04:26 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan/John we've had plastic lattice for the deck for maybe close to 15 years and it's still in better shape than the treated joists and timers that hold the deck up. We would have used plastic for the entire deck had it been available. we got the early Trex decking and its holding up well but the lumber is crap and wont hold paint longer than a year or so. The wife has had it and is getting ready to rip off all the railings and have me make some decorative iron railings and have them powdercoated.

Mike Our 8.1 doesn't get good mileage at all. We might get 10mpg empty, but since it hauls a trailer 90% of the time it's probably 5-7mpg.

Jamesbo, My aunt (who is on the other side of the political spectrum) wants me to run for office as well. I'm afraid if I had to those meetings I would end up with murder charges against me.

John, how many pounds do you need?

Have a Thursday?
Old July 30th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin,

Bit of a drought here and hot.

I was at a car show on the weekend and there was 7 Olds there. Most I have ever seen.
Decided to keep the w30....I do not know what I was thinking
Clint, I went to one town council meeting and,well I think I will bypass any political career! Sure takes them a long time to say very little!
Allan, the x5 only loses,eats,leaks oil at speeds over 120km/h...which is strange. Must be a seal somewhere.
John, x2 on the nice hearing from you.

Have a good day
Old July 30th, 2015, 05:00 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter not one

Site Now my adds are on the side running up an down

Mike, Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much. I'm half way there

Got anutter meeting wit de city dis mawn'in Gonna try to avoid any killing
Old July 30th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Thor's day

Hola, hombres. Yesterday was a killa'. I went to Covington to run a couple errands and the Avalon thermo said 102*. Once I got on I-12, it cooled off to 99. Glad I got my little painting done early. We have 40% chance of an Elsie visit today, and I'm hoping she comes w/ a vengeance to cool things off, even if I don't get to put up the lattice.

Clint, I'm sure that iron work would look fab. I seem to recall your saying you're handy with a welding rod, and that's not something I've ever done.

Lowe's wanted $30 for the "privacy" lattice, and $20 for the "regular"; so I got the regular. I kind of cut my nose to spite my face, but the price P1$$ed me off a bit. It will look fine in any case. So tired of paying through that cut nose for everything; but that's the way it is. Nowadays, I try to use leftover paint for small jobs, and that's just what I did this time. Used some old brown oil-based deck paint for the trim. It will look fine underneath the lattice, although a red would have been a better match. But this is in back of the house, and the red curbs are in front. (Might get some red shutters in front soon, as well.)

Thanks, Sammy! Can you list those Oldses at the show? I know I've said this before, but I still have a soft spot for those '71,2,&3 Delta tanks, since I had a '73 when I was a lad.

My ol' buddy, Gene, in MI comes home from the rehab hospital today with his second new knee. Let's hope he can throw away the walker & cane by end of next month... I know he'll be making a couple more car shows before fall (Boyne City for sure), but it will be as a passenger.

Whelpt, let me get to today's errands & chores, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 30th, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old July 30th, 2015, 05:59 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Thursday Mawnin All

Whelp been busy trying to spruce this place up a bit, since Clint has called up the cavalry De cast of Sparticus extraordinaire shall arrive Sunday And the squirrels have been keeping me busy. I've caught nine in the last few days and hauled them down to the woods. All with the same few bits of cat food nonetheless, it seems they loose their appetite when the trap door springs shut

The middle daughter is turning 18 so we are having a pool party and renting a big waterslide in hopes to keep most of the hoodlums outside I thought about charging admission, but the better half says otherwise

Y'all have a great day!
Old July 30th, 2015, 06:51 AM

John, Mike, Scot, Does anyone know Nicole's last name. I was trying to find her on FB
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up extra early this morning and headed to the Awful house and then to Lowes for some hardware. It was like a throwback to Ace Hardware(before the big stores) I was getting individual pieces and putting them in a bag.

Jamesbo Nicole goes by Nikki Mo on facebook. Or it might be Nicki I don't remember. Her last name is Moore, which I only know because it was in Sandy's obituary.

Gonna finish up some loose ends around here today. Finish the door on the dogs' room, clean up and find a new place for the swimming pool, mow if it doesn't rain first. This is my last day off so I have to make it count.

John maybe my next car will be a 72 Delta 88. Always liked them in a convertible, don't know why I picked that one, but heck I'm not having any luck finding my Imperial so that would be a good one.

Okay gonna get going on things. Have a good day everyone.
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Always room for one more

It's Nicky. Nicky Mo.

What a pretty girl. The spittin' image of her Mom.
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Captain Starfire

Yeah, Mike, I think the '72s are the best looking of the lot, with '71 second, and '73 last -- although the '73s have the most sentimental value. I'm crazy about those factory slotted cast wheels (urethane?) on a the Royale drop-top's. And it'd have to have the 455, of course
Old July 30th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Tanks Mike/Scot, I'm now a FB friend with Nicole
Old July 30th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Aftanoon everyone.

Just got back from a meetin wit da boys. Shoot the breeze, havva coffee, shoot more breeze??? Musta got purdy windy cause it's over 4 hours later.

What are the chances? Larry, Ken and I were standing out in the parking lot (shooting more breeze) instead of getting in our cars and leaving when what to our amazed eyes should appear?? A 2015 blue Hellcat!! Guy driving it is Graham - an older fart than us, but great taste in cars obviously. He was super nice and gave us a tour of the car including under the hood. I was uber impressed. Just for giggles he started it and we watched the dash go through it's startup routine. He looked at us with this $hit eating grin and said - keep watching - and then it happened. The dash came up with the words "Red Key in Use". WTH??? That's 705HP on demand - in the city??? My jaw just dropped. What a healthy sounding car and it only had around 450 miles on it. As we're oogling the car being careful not to touch we commented that it's not every day you see one of these. He smiles that smile again and says "Stick around, there's another one coming". No crap! His buddy pulls in about 5 minutes later with the matching car only in metallic black. Honest to God, what are the chances of seeing 2 like that in the same day, let alone the same time and in the same parking lot? I don't think even the dealers here stock more than one at a time. Larry got so excited he popped his trunk and got out his feather duster (Honest - I'm not making this up) and dusted off both cars while we watched. Both of these cars were bought for the modest price of 75,000.00 Some dealers here are getting upwards of 95,000.00 because they can't keep them in stock and there's limited production of the Hellcat as far as I know. Under the hood was just amazing!! I'd hate to work on it but it's dang purty to look at and imagine what kind of power/torque that monster puts to the rear wheels. As you can tell, I'm still pretty stoked about this chance encounter. Sheesh I even offered to take it to the gas station and fill it before taking it for a test cruise but they graciously declined. Musta been the drool on the corner of my mouth that gave away my potential intents....

John - I actually like the looks of the 73 better than the 71/72 but that's just me. The 71/72 have better engines than 73 because of the head changes though. The wheels you're describing are called SSIV (Polycast wheels) and were only available for the 71/72 models. They weren't exclusive to the verts though - they could be ordered on any of the Delta 88 models for 71/72. Truly they are a gorgeous appearance item to the car. I think they should have been standard on the Royale simply because it was the top o the line model. That just me again though.

Clint/John - I went with plastic lattice on the privacy top of the deck last year. They also sold me on the matching plastic channels the lattice sits into. One of them cracked over the winter. Probably because the screws went in too deep? Anywho I'm not going to fix it because it's not that noticeable.

Scot - good luck with the cast. Shoulda skinned the squirrels and fried em up as entrees. Otherwise they'll just be back (sorta like the terminator

Jim, I noticed the ads running down the side of the site on the eye pad yesterday and this mawnin. Royal PITA.

One more day till magic time.