The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2015, 08:26 AM

OK, I'll bite, what's a saskatoon? It's not like a Henway is it?
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, saskatoons are a berry that grows on a tree. They're seasonal so the berries are in a picking window of opportunity for about 2 weeks. Google Saskatoon berry and you'll see what they look like. A bit like blueberries but more intense flavor.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
"Car"mudgeon

You mean to tell me Miss Boom-Boom was wrong?

Careful with the berries there Al

Sorta looks like our blueberries.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nicola boom boom left the weather section a few months back. Just got back from picking. The trees were loaded and I got a pail filled in less than an hour. Now to clean and freeze those babies. No worries Scot, I regulate my diet purdy carefully. Too bad those trees are so tall. Good thing they bend like saplings. I'll prolly get another batch in a few days. Mebbe make a toonberry pie!
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Always room for one more

That's weird, Jamesbo, because yesterday when I couldn't scroll I got my post all written out, and when I hit send the message box went blank. I refreshed and the post was on the board like normal.

The dogs were in one piece when I got home this morning. A bit more of the room was shredded, and they drank a lot of water when I let them out. Some time when I know there will be storms I should set up my old video camera so I can see just what they do. Actually I wouldn't be able to see anything because it's dark, but I could hear them. I didn't know we were supposed to get storms last night.

Gonna head out to pick up my buddy. I don't remember the last time I was at Aurelio's, I'm looking forward to it. Funny, my buddy says, have I got a deal for you. He thought he was a wiseguy trying to bribe me. I hope he knows that I would have helped him anyway, pizza or not.

Hope the traffic stays down until we're out of Kennesaw.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by CQR
Mornin all.

Mike, The local paint store (Auto paint) around here custom makes aerosols. Also Dupli-color has a large selection of factory paints. if you have a paint code you may be able to look it up on line to see if it can be ordered. http://www.duplicolor.com/product/pe...tomotive-paint

Well I have a 20 year old Poulan that is about done. It leaks constantly (Bar oil) and its silly to have 2 16" saws. I'd rather not deal with a Lowes or Home Depot disposable saw. I'd like an 18 or 20" bar even tho I don't use it very often. I was in getting parts for my mower at our local independent equipment place. He used to carry Huskys but now carry's a line of a German saw called a Dolmar. I'd rather give my money to him than a corporate chain, but I've never heard of them and they are about $100 more than the HD husky. I'll look to see who around here carries a Stihl.

Have a Humpday all.
Clint, Dolmar was a pretty good saw. When I was a feller, I had one for back up. A few others in my crew also had them and we're pleased with their performance.....
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Captain Starfire

Kwik check-in

Hola, all.... Glad to hear you wuz talking Stihl, Jamesbo. I've been avoiding all things Poulan for decades.....I have a Sthil blower and a Stihl weedeater and they're both good; not the best IMHO, but for the nonprofessional, they get the job done without breaking the bank.

Hot as a bank robber's pistol today, but apparently not as hot as in the Hotlanta area.

Mowed for 3 hours this morning and gave up; grass was out of control, since I couldn't mow before heading to the hills 2 weeks back due to rain. I'm payin' the price now.... Got two guys pressure-washing the abode today. Can't wait to get rid of 'em to see the collateral damage, and to finish the mowing and trimming and blowing.

Dan, what does a hen weigh? (Couldn't resist.)

Mike, glad the pups were OK. And glad you guys in the greater Hotlanta area weathered the zany weather. Looking forward to our next trip, but it will be a while. Better half is visiting Mom this week, so I'm flyin' solo. Time to get a few things done for a change....

Y'all have a great one, Oldsmofriends.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Dan, what does a hen weigh? (Couldn't resist.)
Well, I tried!
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:04 PM

http://www.canadasfood.com/history_p...on_berries.php Now I know, cool!
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
It's not like a Henway is it?
Altogether different from even a hen weigh. But I did get around 6lbs of them today if that's any constipation. Axually if I ate dat many of em, I wouldn't be constipated no how. But I'd be able to squeeze a stream through the eye of a needle!

This bear came up behind me when I was picking. Not to be rude or even scared I looked him in the eye and asked if they really did use toilet paper after $hittin in the woods. He just looked at me funny and left a steaming hot pile of berries to prove that ad is totally misleading. Never seen a constipated bear yet and all they eat is grubs and berries. I'm not going to start on grubs though.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Always room for one more

Wow. Just, oh.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:35 PM

I think the berries are causing hallucinations.
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:23 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Dan, you could be right or maybe they are fermented.

John. hope the casa i still standing when they are done. I didn't make it to the Stihl dealer yesterday. I'll get there sooner or later.

Ted, The guy at the store hasn't steered me wrong yet. I've bought a mower and a trimmer from him and they have been pretty tinker free.

Well had to get the missus off to chores early today. gonna be another hot one.

Have a day all.
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all. Carbon copy of yesterday's weather. High of about 95, but humidity is not as high as it could be, so I still ain't complainin'.

Maybe the moderator can add the category of "scatology" to our verboten topics??? I think I'd rather talk politics or religion.

Clint, damage was not bad... So far, some blown-in wetherstripping around front French doors (not to mention a few puddles around the house), and strewn mulch seem to be the worst, which ain't bad in the grand scheme. He and his side-kick did a good job on the areas they did. They'll return Friday with the lift to get the real high areas.

Whelpt, have quite a list of chores today, and hopefully at least half will get done. Trip to Wally World and finishing the grass are among the most conspicuous. Y'all have a great Thor's day, Oldsmofriends.
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Trip yesterday to help my buddy get his baby crib was a success. That thing was huge, it would never have fit in his Envoy. And to top it off we had pizza at Aurelio's so you can't beat that. Now I've got him thinking he needs a pickup.

John I'll be headed to Walmart this morning as well. I go there at least twice a week and always seem to be out of something.

Going to attempt mowing again today. I need to find a belt for the mower and hopefully I don't smoke it. By the way, I got some stuff called Permathrin that's supposed to ward off ticks. I treated my outfit before mowing last week, and not a tick to be found on me. The directions make it sound like you have to soak the clothes in this stuff, though I just lightly misted it on. Then I was out in the woods and under trees and in thick grass, got home and nothing. It must work I was thrilled. I usually get at least half a dozen of them suckers on me.

Well I'll stop in and see what problems are being solved at the Awful house and then get into the day. Hope everyone is doing well on this penultimate day of the week.
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:31 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mornin All

Seems like the storms started back up exactly where they left off the night before, so we finally got a little of the wet stuff.

John glad they didn't blow your siding off

Apparently bears do not $#!+ n the woods, they go behind Al's house
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Elsie arrived this Mawnin at 2:43. No percussion or light show. She's still out there sobbing her heart out. Apparently she's here for a few days. She's more welcome than my MIL by a country mile. Temps are cooler, down to 52 or so.

Scot, you got that right brother. I think I offended the more sensitive members. That's too bad. I've seen worse.

Looks like it's gettin on time for a walkabout.
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:41 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Nah you haven't offended anyone here brother Watch out for bear poo on your walkabout Seriously though, glad to hear you are getting some much needed moisture sans the fireworks and the booms.

Whars Jamesbo?
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Break time. Just got back from the lawn mower place. Got a belt for my riding mower and it was a whopping 14 bucks. What a deal. I'll put it on tomorrow and mow, this afternoon I'm going to mow at the house. I did stop over to see if I could find a model number(I couldn't) and talked to my neighbor the mechanic. I asked him if he did air conditioning and he said yep, so I've got several cars that need charging.

Question for you anti-rodent type. Would a pad made with gravel or other type rock with a cinder block border keep mice from crossing over and getting into a car? I'm wondering if this would work because I've got a huge place at the shop I could do this, and keep lots of stuff over there. But I don't want vermin to get into anything. I had the Cadillac over there on the concrete for a couple weeks and when I went to jump it off I opened the hood and there was Mighty Mouse building his nest out of hood liner right there on the firewall.

So Walmart was pretty much a bust today. Got 4 cans of dog food. I need to go late at night when they first put it out. They get so few cans of each kind that even a few people going by makes it slim pickin's in a hurry.

Okay gonna mow.
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Would a pad made with gravel or other type rock with a cinder block border keep mice from crossing over and getting into a car?
I doubt it. Mice will get into anything. Only thing you could do would be put a carpet of buzzworms to keep them away. Mice can contort their bodies through the smallest of holes too. Here's a link to a suggestion that may work if you can pilfer a huge amount of aluminum from work. http://www.hastingsreserve.org/mammals/MiceInCars.html But, I think these are your best bet

Thors chicken joke:
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office and says, "Doctor, you've got to help me, my brother's crazy. He thinks he's a chicken."
The psychiatrist says, " Yes, that's serious. It's cause to have him certified. Bring him here and I'll do it."
The man says, "I'd really like to but I can't. We need the eggs."
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:28 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike I'll trade you a coupla mice for some coons. Seems we have a some bandits that have taken a liking to our grape arbor for their resting spot.

Allan, glad you are getting some moisture. Hope its just the right amount. no need going from too little to too much.

John are they washing to get ready for paint?

Scot, whatsamatter I haven't heard of a birfday in the fam for a day or 2? Thats not like you?

Have a day all.
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:20 AM

Mawn'in all

Jamesbo be in de mountains sans power fer a few days, A/c on blink a-gain

Mike, I've seen some buildings with cap blocks laid around the edge of the outside wall to keep out mice/ rats. I "THINK" the theory is if they dig their holes under the cap blocks they'll get full of water when it rains, IMHO your idea won't werk

Have a great day friends
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Elsie says hi! She's been u partying since around midnight. Not real heavy but steady soaking rain which is great!

Clint, even with this bit of moisture some of the farming counties have already had to declare agriculture disaster. They also have hoppers out the wazoo. Today is the kickoff to annual festival called KDays and there's some talk on the radio/TV that the floats will actually float this year. I doubt there will be a big turnout for the parade because of the cold and wet.

Jim, sorry ta hear. Ya get rid of all de okrie?

Ted, how's the new turbo working out?

Enjoy your fried day.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM

Allan, No, I pick a poke full per day and it'll keep com'in in til it frosties. Made stewed okrie wit maters, ham and fresh peaches and cream corn las nite Yummy
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, sounds like de gift dat keeps on giving. I usta plant zookini fear de missus an she Jess kept giving it away so I don't bother with it now. My maters are looking good but still green. Prolly need another couple weeks to turn. Usta get couple hundred pounds of me but dey have been scaled way back too so we don't have waste.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all.... Looks like another carbon copy. The pressure washing guys are here with their lift bright & early. Will prolly be here at least a half day; IMHO, they're losing their butts. The "leader" is a good guy, and I wouldn't take advantage of him. I'm going to talk to him about some add-on work (a little paving or a deck project) to keep him happy. I've been on his side of the fence before and it ain't no picnic.

Clint, we have vinyl siding, so it's just to clean. We moved here in '06 and the north-facing side is awful ... pollen, dirt, grime ... never been washed. It will look pretty dern good when they're finished, and they're also doing all the concrete pads, railings, etc. I'm happy so far.... even with the blown mulch.

So Jamesbo, you're w/out power, or just A/C? Some transformer around us blew last night around 10:00, and I was without (line) power for about an hour, and I can't run the A/C on my backup generator. I've been talking about getting a couple little window units to use when we lose utility power, but of course, have never done it. At least it was at night, and the house got up to 84*; but with fans, it was bearable. I went out in the pitch black and switched on the generator and at least got the lights, etc. back on 'til we got our line power back.

Darrell, nice note on Sandy's guestbook. (I just read it.)

Whelp, have a 10:00 app't this morning, so let me get goin'. I want to be back before the guys leave so's we can talk about our next project.

Y'all have a great Freya's day, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 17th, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dogs got me up early this morning, and I said, I'm still a little tired. So I went back to bed thinking I'd relax for a few extra minutes. Woke up again three hours later.

Jamesbo I think you're right. I never would have guessed that mice would get into stuff over at the shop. I don't know why. With all the places and stuff at ground level, why bother going to all that trouble to get inside the car? Safety I guess.

Got my mowing done yesterday and also some trimming. This afternoon I'll go put that belt on and mow at the shop.

Still having intermittent troubles with the scrolling. Odd, it's only on this site. Sometimes switching between screens makes it come back, or go away. Jamesbo in a minute you'll probably get another one of those blank messages from me.

Okay gonna have a late brekky at the Awful house and then get to work. I've got some cleaning to do in the dogs' room and maybe a little more metal work. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:32 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mornin All

Yep another hot, hot day here in Houston Co.

Clint we have our middle Daughter about to turn 18 in Aug. She, by the way is already homesick and has her mind set on coming home. This is after we shucked out thousands of dollars to get her moved in, alarm installed in the house she and her sister are leasing, king sized bedroom suit etcetera and so forth She is given until the end of the semester (January), that she hasn't even started to make a rational decision. Anywho, August is when we begin to celebrate all sorts of berfdays and just about any other occasion the cast of Spartacus can come up with to invade our humble abode

Mike it sounds like you may need to clear your cache and delete temporary files. I wish I knew of a sure fire way to eradicate the rodents myself. If you figure out a way let us know

Jamesbo it ought to be a little cooler up your way, no?

John you should see some of the vinyl siding down here, it looks atrocious. One of the main reasons we opted for 90% brick. Now after twenty some odd years I need to re-point the mortar in a few places where it looks like they forgot the mortar part and just used sand
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:36 AM

John, Dare was a heck of a storm what rolled thur god's county a few days ago. I had dis a/c repair scheduled and came up to stuporvise and the line crews are still repair sum damge from the storm. So my a/c guys show up and de power is off fer 5 hours
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well the mowing eluded me again. Eleanor Roosevelt said, no one can make you feel bad without your permission. Today I gave my mower permission to make me feel bad. I really felt like a dolt when I couldn't get that belt on. I mean, I was baffled. I ended up taking small parts off that I knew weren't going to help, and then putting them right back on. I called the guy that sold me the mower. He said he didn't have a clue. I came home and watched Youtube videos about it. By the time I get back over there now I'll have to watch the videos again. Sheesh.

One bright spot was that I got the chain saw started and cut down quite a few sapling type trees and some bushes. I figured that since the saw had vomited its fuel all over me last time I wouldn't have much time. It actually ran quite a bit longer than I thought it would so I was pleased that I had accomplished something.

Scot I have no clue how to do that sort of stuff. The site is working fine now, I guess I'll just have to live with it. Besides that, if I start deleting things it will reset a bunch of passwords that I have long forgotten, and I'll have trouble getting into some of my favorite websites.

Work tomorrow. I don't know where these days go. Though lately it seems like the workdays go quickly as well. When I was little I'd complain that something would never get here, it seemed like something would never end, and my Mom would tell me that when I got older things went faster. Yet another thing Mom was right about. Imagine.

So Jamesbo did you ever get your AC fixed? Were the repairman waiting that whole 5 hours at your house?

Well enjoy the evening everyone. It's marvelous out here I should go out and do something. Nah, Starsky and Hutch is on.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Captain Starfire

The gang at work

They stayed 'til about 4 today -- really worked their keisters off in the inhumane sun & heat... but I guess better them than me. I couldn't do it nowadays.

Quite a machine they rented; wish I owned one . This is the dreaded north-facing side of the house. It looks like a different house now.... They even sprayed the roof of the little patio cover -- although one effect of that was that the leaves in the gutters are now strewn everywhere....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 17th, 2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 04:32 AM

Hot,

A/c in de mountains good to go, Gotta run back south and pick okrie before it turn into baseball bats
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:08 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

morning,

hot and muggy..

I was in the shop till 1am working on the convertible. Had not done a late shift in a while.Open rear, limited slip posi, posi and lockup posi. The Fud guys were confusing me in the shop last night. Olds did not make a 3.73 full posi with equal length axles ? I hope that the rear in the convertible is not a 3.91...Guess I need to do some research...

Allan, did your son get his license?. I see you guys got some much needed rain.

John, that looks like a pretty cool rig Were they pressure washing your siding?

Snapped a pic of my backyard for the heck of it...thought I would share. The weather here has caused for a good growing season.

Off to Ottawa for my sons football game...last game before playoffs..

Have a day all

Last edited by sammy; July 18th, 2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning all

Elsie has gone to visit elsewhere for a few days but should be back in a few days. Always nice to see her gloomy face.

Ted, no sir. He goes on the 22nd at 2:30. Then off to work till 10:00pm. Nice digs. I love all the seclusion you have there.

Jim, sounds like y'all got yer farwood sitcheayshun fingered out.

John, I imagine the guy on the lift kept a bit cooler with all the mist from the power wash. Is the siding wood or plastic?

Beautiful day shaping up. Prolly go pick more toons in a bit.
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Captain Starfire

Saturn's up & at 'em

Mernin, all... Had a much-needed shower yesterday evening that gave us a slight break from the oven. Got out there a little early to wash up the F-150 from the trip to the hills and put away 'til next time. The truck as turned into a quintessential "10-footer" that looks fantastic from a distance; then when you get a little closer, you see the battle scars of its being a daily driver for 10 yrs. A/C is working flawlessly right now... maybe after two complete system replacements, this one will finally be the one.

Allan, siding is vinyl. Man, it needed it. Ted, the "crew" did pretty much the whole house, including gutters, soffits, etc. Having that DeWalt 4200 psi washer seemed to make the job infinitely easier than I'd have had with my little model. BTW, your abode is beautiful... looks like a postcard -- nice bucolic surroundings. How many months of the year do you guys have snow? When I'm out washing my truck at 9 a.m. in the shade sweating my gonads off, I sometimes think about moving to more northern climes... but that thought usually goes away pretty quickly. This heat is what I'm used to, and I learn to live around it. However, when I go up to N. MI in the summer, I have to say IMHO there's no nicer place on earth during those months (right, Dan?); just wouldn't want to deal with the winters.

Glad you got your A/C back, Jamesbo. Now let's hope the power stays....

Sorry that mower "belted" you, Mike. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Y'all have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 18th, 2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, the winters here aren't all that long - mostly from November to the following March or so. I'd rather deal with the cold than the sweltering heat FWIW. Like you, we get pretty much acclimatized to our environment. Learn about snowblowers if you move north. you won't have to sweat cleaning the truck. I'd choose western Canada though just because we don't use tons o salt in the winter. New thing is using sugar beet juice added to salt mix. Reduces the amount of salt used by at least 35% and is effective at lower temps than salt.
Old July 18th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Lots of good sleep today. The dogs only got me up a couple times.

John I used to tell my Mom when she still lived up home, I'd see her in the fall and then in the spring. I hate cold, and I hate snow. Never failed, if I went up there during the winter, like at Christmas time, it would snow.

Ted that's a beautiful yard. Nice big house, too. Let's see a picture of the garage.

Work tonight. Three then vacation. It will be a good time but I'm not looking forward to that drive. Eight hours of sheer boredom, each way.
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Captain Starfire

Sandy slide show

There's a slide show / photo gallery in Sandy's memory hosted on the funeral home's site, should anyone like to view it. Maybe it's been there a while, but I hadn't seen it.

See y'all....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 18th, 2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

So much for no rain until Monday. Was a beautiful afternoon then about the time I start getting ready for work it thunders. Hm. Bright sunshine out. Fairly quickly it gets dark and there's more thunder and the dogs are going cuckoo. Now it's rain and thunder and lots of lightning, but it looks like it's clearing up. Terrific. Couldn't wait until I was at work.

So yesterday I cleaned up in the dogs' room and saw that I needed to replace the sacrificial panel on the door. There's a layer of plywood with another layer on top of that that extends several inches past the door frame. I correctly assumed that they would think that's where the door opens and claw at that. I did this when I started the room. So now all these months later they've finally chewed and clawed the plywood back to the door frame. This afternoon I cut a new piece of plywood and put it up. Looks good, is sturdy, and should last another couple years anyway.

Was gonna swap out the pickup for the van yesterday when I was at the shop, but it's just so frickin' hot I wanted something with air conditioning to drive. I'm gonna have my neighbor charge the AC in the Cadillac while I'm gone, then I'll have him charge the AC in the van when I get back. Heck I could take them both over there while I'm gone.

Okay off to work. Hope I can get the dogs to go out for a minute before I leave. Have a good evening everyone.
Old July 18th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks John I hadn't seen that.

What a lovely lady.