The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2016, 06:54 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy All

Been busy as all get out lately. Spent all Monday changing out my central A/C. Now it werks too good. The Mrs keeps jacking the t-stat higher and higher The new one does such a better job of removing the humidity

Clint what is that gopro mounted to? Your helmet? It would seem as bumpy as the ride is, that the footage would be just as bumpy That is some serious stabilizer control if it is "doctored" by the camera.

Going to try and run hard line on the coupe's fuel system with a return line. That way the fuel pump isn't deadheaded into the carb and is supposed to make them last longer. My question is: Do I have to dump the return line back into the tank? Or can I potentially run a "Y" type fitting and just loop it like that without hindering the fuel flow? I guess I could always try and if it doesn't work just dump the return back into the tank via a bulkhead fitting.

Mike the wiring shouldn't be too elaborate in the deuce and a 1/2. Wiring can be a pain, but if you replace what's damaged and go from there with a meter it shouldn't be too labor intensive to find the trouble. My guess would be rodents wreaking havoc behind the dash. Oh yeah, here I is What's the A/C question?

Jamesbo how do I tell when the taters are ready to be dug? They are flowering good now.

Whelp I hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend, just don't forget to remember those that gave all in efforts that we remain free.
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:45 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike/Scot. It's mounted to my helmet, I didn't run it thru any stabilization software. Between the money spent on the suspension on the Quad and the shocks in my knees, thats about what you can expect. (Probably why my leg muscles hurt so bad after a race.) I counted 99 turns in that course.

Paul, nice to hear from you.

MIL was released yesterday. They gave her hope saying she could possibly reverse it a bit and maybe get off the 02 so thats what shes striving for. She's successfully walked past those coffin nails all day. She says there is no way she can be permanently attached to that tank. So we'll see. The missus says she can't remember how long its been since shes seen her this 'alive'. Amazing what a bunch of those little molecules can do for a body.

Raining this morning, The peaks are due to get another foot of snow today. Weekend is spose to dry out a bit.

Have a weekend all.
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:27 AM

Mawn'in all

hot and dry

Scot, wait til the tops dy back and they'll be ready If ya want some baby ones dig a little earlier.

John, I don't need condolences, It's not my family. I'm just the butler that takes care of the shell of the person they used to wear while wandering around this orb.

GTG busy day

Have a wonderful long holiday weekend Olds friends
Old May 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Good evening everyone. Fresh after an hour at the sauna and loads of beer. Have to admit; a bit drunk at the moment. I was so angry and full of hate before that sauna, that i had to take it. Now i feel like a new person.

This is going to be a little rant, so sorry if im destroying someones mood.
We, as a group at work, are there for doing as much money to owners as possible. And i wont lie; we are the best group ive seen at the 5 years ive been at work, we lay down more asphalt than anyone before atleast at 5 years. What we get from it? They ( owners) try to do our work as hard and miserable as possible iust to "avenge" something which isnt even related to us.. Fridays have always been short days at us to allow us long weekend. Surprise, we had way more work than at week today. We pushed with taste of blood at mouth, and despite of 1,5hr drawback, we were at the halls 45mins before minimum wage ( 8hr per day is minimum wage, even if we do work only 4 hours that day). What do owners do? They were mad for us for being to early at the halls. ******************

Something good. Im okay now. Sun shines, its warm, its A+ weekend ( wifeys away ) and tomorrow is FHRA ( Finnish Hot Rod Association) Swap Meet at Kouvola. Also we did my best work shift ever this week ( it was contract? with solid amount of money per person for that job, and it was just up to us how fast we do it. We did it with single break at whole day). 795$ BRT at just 17 hours! That was something amazing, and wont happen on next 5 years. Gods sake we were crying bloody tears for that job, but we made it.

Whats up on you guys?

Last edited by Inline; May 27th, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Looks like the nice weather is going to last a while longer. I'll take it. Got up around noon today and ran some errands and tried to help my neighbor with his car. Volvo with rear disc brakes, he's trying to replace the pads. First thing I saw was a torn dust boot and the old "pads" which were past the material and into the backing plate. I said, that caliper is bad. He said he broke his C-clamp trying to push the piston back in.

Scot my AC has that big insulation/foil ducting that runs through the house. There's a place in the living room where it goes from the crawlspace up to the attic, and it runs through a big cavity that I'd like to take out and have a little more space. My question is, is there any reason I can't run metal ducting between the foil duct in the crawl and the attic, thus allowing me about 90% of that dead space to be opened up?

Worked on the Cadillac a little yesterday. Got one side put together. Using the sawzall to get that race out did nothing. I finally went back with the Dremel and just kept cutting until I knew I was through, then took a big screwdriver and beat the race out in pieces. The old race in the other rotor is staying.

Time for Monday. Actually seems like I've been at home for awhile. It will be busy today at the airport but probably fairly quiet the rest of the weekend. Monday will be busy again.

Hope everyone has a good and fun and safe weekend.
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Always room for one more

I know what I wanted to say about the Cadillac(I'm at work now). I tightened the bearing nut pretty tight, while spinning the rotor. I have a habit of overtighening things. Tighten till it strips then back off 1/4. So when it was tight like I thought it should be, I tried to get the cotter pin in. The hole was way further back. So I tightened it some more, and kept on until I could get the pin in. I thought that would be too tight. Are the bearings going to wear in a little or will they burn up if they are too tight? That must be where they're supposed to be since that's where the pin was that came out. Once I got the caliper with the new pads on I couldn't turn the rotor at all.

Next week will be the other side. Can't wait to see if the back brakes need work.

Okay have a good night everyone.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:20 PM

Good evening all.

It is getting warm here. This weekend it is going to feel close to 100*F around here. Guess I shouldn't complain though

Thanks for the "welcome back" everyone.

The Cutlass... what to say about the Cutlass. I have only driven it a handful of times since the fall, although on Christmas eve was nice. I think I've improved the brake problems, but still not 100%. Haven't driven it enough to know if the overheating is resolved or not. And since the fall the th-350 is now a 2-speed transmission. I made a post in the build thread for the Cutlass with more details.

The Mustang is turning into a love-hate relationship. It is a nice car and I still enjoy driving it, but I had it in for warranty work 10 times in 2015 and the bumper-to-bumper warranty ended a couple of months ago.

Another season of bowling has come to an end. First time in this league they let us choose our teams. Got to bowl with a friend I went to university with and had a great time although I missed half the season due to an injury.

Mike good luck with the brakes. Had to replace the rear pads on the Mustang a month ago. Not too bad actually, compared to all the trouble I had with the disc-brake conversion on the Cutlass.

Clint, you have some pretty good suspension in your knees.

I bought a GoPro a couple of months ago and still figuring it out. I've only used it in the Mustang so far. One thing I've realised is that if you are recording video, are with a group and have walkie-talkies, your audio will be useless if you want to post your video publicly. Especially when the others don't know you are recording. It was particularly bad when a big truck coming the other way got his wheels on the opposite shoulder and kicked up dust all across the road.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well someone must have heard my complaints about the cold weather. Went from 66 and rain to the upper 80's the last 2 days. A little too hot too fast.

Not a busy Memorial Day weekend but I have a Buick show to go to on Sunday and my parents are throwing me a birthday party. Other than that, I have a date with the pressure washer cleaning off the patio bricks.

Mike - if the rotors don't turn easy without the brakes in place it sounds like its too tight. I always just snug it up and then try to put the cotter pin in, if it is not there then I just back it off one notch. What year Caddy do you have?

Car Designer - sorry to hear about the Mustang and the issues. Usually they are extremely reliable. What year do you have?

Well, have a good night all.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:48 PM

Well, got an invite to my buddy's place tomorrow for some grub and brews, too bad rain is in the forecast. Monday appears to be the only nice day. We were offered to work Monday, 12 hours at triple time..can't believe that I turned it down. Have a safe holiday all.
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:12 AM

Since no one ever ax me any questions, I'll answer [try to] one for Scot and Clint

Mike, What ya wanta do when/if ya start mess'in with the plenum is make sure the air flow is balanced. Ya don't want your return air stiffled. Jes think of it as a car with Big intake valves and tiny exhaust [or vice versa]

BTW Gorilla tight don't werk on de rotors

When buying buses.............. Buy low sell high

Welp, that's about all the advice I got this mawn'in

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:46 AM

Good day.
Came bck from swap meet. There were horse-racing circuit full of cars, with just 2 1/2 Oldsmobiles. And of course, noone were selling parts for Oldses ( exeption being torn parts from 307's)

Pretty tired, going to do something with the car,maybe adjust my windows once again ( not 100% happy how they fit against seals) , heat the sauna, take beer and then its time to go sleep.
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:48 AM

1/2 and Oldsmobile?????
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:26 AM

Yea- mine, one 442-badged ~72 Cutlass S, and ~87 Supreme, where owner throwed original Olds engine away since he wanted sbc inside, and installed huge plastic scoop to bonnett with silicone and screws. That counts as a 1/2 for me.
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:15 AM

Good morning!

Darrell my Mustang is a 2013 that I bought new since I had an idea how most Mustangs are driven I'm in the local Mustang club and seems like I just got lucky with my car.

Jamesbo, I didn't know you were an expert at buying and selling buses

Inline, that would explain the half Oldsmobile.

Can't believe I am thinking this way but there is a late-afternoon/evening car show in town that I try to never miss and I am actually wondering if I want to go or stay inside in the A/C.
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:15 AM

Evenings..

Got my drivers side glass to fit a bit better, and got my new seatbelt guides installed so that they keep in Place.. Had to do a bit magic to them...

Not much else. Lazy day. Didnt even heat the sauna since wifey wants there too tomorrow, so maybe i just wait for tomorrow. Zipping quality brandy and looking what e-bay has for me ( so far ordered 76 Cutlass & Vista Cruiser owners manual + two other brochures which come with it).

car_designer: Ive tested my A/C on Cutlass as much that i noticed its working. But not used it once. No need for it here haha

Hows others?
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:47 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Saturday Afternoon All!

Starting to get clouds from #2. Gonna be hot hot hot next week

Thanks Jamesbo bout the taters lesson and that sounds like some good sound advice.

Mike yes you can transition to metal duct. I just need to know the diameter of the flex duct and give you an equivalent of the size it needs to be. Usually it's best to reduce in size over a distance to keep the air velocity up. The culprit "dead space" wall will have to be opened up and after the duct is ran, then you'd have some subfloor and ceiling to patch.

Inline I agree about the 1/2 here but in Finland I would give a little leeway due to price and availability. Hey at least it was a relative to the Olds

Whelp time to cut grass. Y'all be safe out there in Oldsmobileland
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Even though it's barely 80, it seems a lot hotter out. But I love it. Sunny, no humidity.

Scot I measured the ducting and what I came up with was about 9" OD and about 6" ID. The run of metal would probably be about 10-15 feet. I'm assuming there are adapters that mate the flex duct to metal?

One thing that irritates me to no end, with this new Windows 10, is arbitrarily when I'm typing everything is underlined by the red "you've made a mistake" line. It will just start in the middle of a word and it won't go away. Yet it doesn't show up in the post. That coupled with over a minute for it to connect from sleep mode, all and I do mean all of the websites I visit go in and out of being connected. It shows in the corner, classicoldsmobile not responding. What it should say is Windows 10 not working.

Paul I know I'm doing myself a disservice by not driving my Mustang. I'm not giving it a chance to show its true colors, and years from now when the warranty is up it will start acting up and cost me big bucks. Listen to me. I'm not going to have that car years from now. In fact, it's dangerously close to two years that I've had it, and I've been thinking it might be time for a change.

Jamesbo I think I am out of the bus buying business for now. Althought the church where I got mine now has another one just like it sitting in their yard. The sign says for sale but doesn't give a price. Probably a good idea, though I do still have the pastor's phone number.

Darrell I have an 87 Brougham. Used to be a beautiful car. Then it went thorugh a hail storm. Now I just keep it running as a daily driver, and not anything special. Too bad, it's really lovely to drive. It might have to go away as well, because, well just because.

Okay night 2. Last night had a guy working with me. He did okay work but had the personality of a rock. Then picks the moments right after I screwed something up and had a bear of a time fixing it, to ask me, so how's your night going so far? I mean, that's about prickish if you ask me.

Indy 500 tomorrow. I'll miss it of course, but will know who won when I wake up in the afternoon. Wonder what the Corvette pace car will look like. Oh saw another post of My Classic Car with the two Olds pace cars. Both beautiful and authentic. They never did say how the guy acquired TWO of the actual cars. I thought the 500 people kept them all.

Have a good night everyone.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike you are in luck. Casa Depot has 3 1/4" x 10" duct and transitions that go from 3 1/4" x 10" to 6" round. With that size, it is designed to be installed into wall cavities between the studs. But you can put it anywhere unless the floor system and ceiling joist system have load bearing beams above and or below the top and bottom plate, then you can't put it in the wall. As far as insulation to wrap the duct, I'd use the silver bubble wrap stuff also at Case Depot. Be sure to use the spacers for more efficiency.
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:23 AM

Good Morning everyone. Or its day almost.
Cloudy, at the verge of raining. Again. Gah.. Should cut the grass, and try to do something else too. Should also plan what to do at summer vacation. Yes, we have summer vacation. A Whole week. And thats just because of mid-season repair&service for asphalt station.

slantflat: That guy sounds just like i would lose my nerves to him right away. Can imagine your thoughts..

Well, have a nice sunday everyone.
Old May 29th, 2016, 02:15 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/6971dan...JvPvoaZmLrphQE Pics from Greenville, Mi car show, 5/29/16. Sorry for the shadows in the corners, when I put my polarizer on, I forgot to remove the UV filter, and stacking them starts to give a view through the tunnel effect.

Last edited by 1969w3155; May 29th, 2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Starting to cloud up a little. Hope that doesn't mean rain. It almost got to 90 today. Love it.

Got up around 230 this afternoon and caught the tail end of the race. Always good when a rookie wins. Pace Car looked rather bland I thought.

Dan those are some nice pictures. I especially like the stick shifter MOPAR wagon. Wasn't getting the pictures of the Olds' heads. Were they ground down to disguise being a fake?

Thanks Scot. I'll have to have a look. I need to study this project to find out what the best use of my newfound space is going to be. Maybe I'll leave it intact and have a hidden door with a staircase down to the crawl so I can escape when the mob comes to get me.

Headed out to night 3. Last night was a good one, not a lot of work and I also had a helper. We had a good time and finished everything. Okay have a good night everyone.
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:32 PM

The heads were on the Sebring Yellow W30, and should be a "F" head, both of them were ground down, perhaps trying to get a flat area to build up an area to put an "F" in the future? Anyways they were "C" heads, which were used on the 400. That of course makes me wonder if it was the real deal or not.
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:38 AM

Sliding in this afternoon, no big plans, thawing out some ribs, gonna cut the grass, mount a hanging flower pot of sorts on the garage, and get a small garden fence to keep the Peonies from drooping when they bloom shortly. Mike, I do like the Plymouth wagon, something that you never used to see at shows, but over the last couple of years, wagons have been starting to show up, which is good, as young people tend to think that everything built back in the day was a musclecar.
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:02 AM

BBQ and ribs down ere [or up ere] in de mountains
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Captain Starfire

Lookin' like a washout for the rest of the week's weather. May be doing some hiking and mountain bike riding (if they come in) in Elsie's presence.

We were planning to put some chicken on the Weber this afternoon; but some friends called and want us to come over -- although they didn't mention food. So maybe it'll be long, hungry evening.

Have a great Memorial Day and remember our fallen heroes, Olds friends.

Update: we're going to friends' place and then returning home (like the hermits we normally are) to eat chicken for 2 from the Weber kettle.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 30th, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Memorial Day. My Grandmother used to call this Decoration Day. When I was little I'd go with her to the cemetery to put flowers on Grandpa's grave. Wish I could do that now.

It actually got to 90 today. Beautiful out. A few people out on the lake, but not as many as you'd think. All the outdoor fun must have been yesterday.

Looks like everyone around me is getting rain but not here. That's fine. Plenty of outside stuff to do this week.

John hope you guys had a good time with the neighbors. How long are you going to be up there? You won't want to leave that view now.

I found a truck not too far from me I think I'm going to go look at. My plan is to give it to my neighbor. It was his dad that was murdered by our other neighbor. Anyway this kid is in his 20s and wants to carry on his dad's business of handyman. He currently drives a Volvo. Not a terrific work truck. He and his wife work hard and are good people, and I want to help him out. It's really tough finding a decent truck that isn't priced into the stratosphere.

Friday tonight. Wasn't a bad week, and is seemed to go fairly fast. I hope I can stay up when I get home in the morning. That helps me get a little more out of my time off. Have a good night everyone.
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:06 PM

Busy 3 day weekend here. Bought a 5x8 utility trailer used with a lot more *** than a Rural King one. Tilts too. Rattles around like it wants to run away since it has zero tongue weight. I think I will investigate a fixture to hang a spare on the tongue to get it to calm down. That, and my vehicle with a trailer harness has a bad fuel pump, and my truck has no harness, so I'll get a drop in taillight jumper harness, too.

Made a run up to Terre Haute for another load of trash from grandma's. The apartment dumpsters were full already, I anticipate someone eventually noticing me unloading a full pickup most Sunday nights. Once the trailer gets involved, I'll have to go to the house first, drop it, and make a second run with its load later.

Slant, good idea to GIVE the truck. Good intentions can bite you in the ***. I never charge, and don't even take money, for car work for friends, because I provide no warranty. I guess enough money will buy anything, even pace cars. My father was seeing a girl in 72 whose dad was on the steering committee and had the use of a parade pace car, which would be a Hurst convertible. My old man got it with the girl for one evening, and comments it was the fastest thing he's ever driven. I have no idea if it were a X vin w-30 engine; probably not, as there were not many of them.
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:17 AM

Morning all.

No sooner have I got off the plane after an eleven hour flight back from California I find myself in the Canary Islands. It's where my better half is from and her mums feeling poorly and is in hospital.
Getting a bit fed up living from a suitcase.

I did however spend a day refurbishing my spare wheel which I picked up while in the US. Really pleased with the result.

Have a great week all.
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:48 AM

Mawn'in all

O dark 30

Gotta beat feet back down from de mountains to meet with a family

London, Sorry your wife's mum is ill. I hope she recovers quickly.

Mike, Dat's very kind of you but remember "No good deed goes unpunished" BTW since you're giv'in away stuff, put me down fer and Amphi

John, I can't believe de diff in your weather and ours, A cloud musta gotten stuck when passing by your beautiful view. We got spit on here few a few minutes and that was about it.

Koday, I need to look up wth happened during de 72 race. Sum of the steering committe musta lost it's mind giving a Pace car and a daughter to your dad [Asumming he was like me when he was a kid]

BYW Beautiful pics of de show

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old May 31st, 2016, 03:17 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Dan, Nice pic's. What is that tail light attached to? The white car with the 327 badge on it.

London, best wishes for your MIL, Mines home again but limited to the length of her 02 hose. She won't live like that but has to wait until she sees her primary Physician.

Little after 4 now. the kid will be up soon to go join the wife for chores. That'll be the norm until MIL can get out of the house. Guess I'll have to go to the gym independently.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:29 AM

Clint, from this AMC Ambassador, 1966 believe.
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:33 AM

Got an appointment with the Vet this morn., somewhere, somehow in the house, the cat appears to have caught a rear toe on something, and bloodied it, one toe looks out of place judging by the claw. He was acting woosey yesterday and not eating, better so far this morning as he has his appetite back.
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:40 AM

$137.00 lighter in the wallet, confirmed that cats toe must have caught on something, checked his temp...Meroww!!! Got an antibacterial shot, and a couple of pills to give him tomorrow. Found out that he has a heart murmur, chrissakes, I'll have to get him his own medi-care card.
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:57 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ran around like a madman last night. Glad it's over for a few days. Got home and got the dogs taken care of, and still got to sleep for 6 hours.

Dan that's it? When I go to the vet it's rarely under 300. Two German Shepherds(one that has seizures) and a sliding scale of payment makes for an expensive trip each time.

Gotta get a trailer ready to take with me tonight. Three trailers at the shop and they all have something on them. I'm going to use the trailer that has the VW on it. Gee, two months later and I finally unload it. This would be a good opportunity to get it registered and start driving it. Regarding giving this truck to my neighbor, it's going to be in his name, and he is going to maintain it, not sure how this is going to haunt me. If he tears it up or it ends up being a lemon, then give it back and keep driving the Volvo. Which by the way has a bad rear caliper and he can't drive it.

Gotta get something done before I head out to see the truck. Beautiful out, almost 90. Happy Tuesday everyone.
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
$137.00 lighter in the wallet, confirmed that cats toe must have caught on something, checked his temp...Meroww!!! Got an antibacterial shot, and a couple of pills to give him tomorrow. Found out that he has a heart murmur, chrissakes, I'll have to get him his own medi-care card.
Which orifice did he get the thermometer in?

And now, for a lame joke.

How do you tell an oral from a rectal thermometer?

....by the taste.
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:19 PM

Which orifice did he get the thermometer in?
His ****, hence the "Meroww".
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:57 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Too much talking about one eyed cats.

Nice car Dan. I don't know much about the AMC's but I was surprised that they had a 327.

Raining. Was spose to do that. looks like we got quite a bit too.

Have a Humpday all.
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:06 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got just a couple of minutes of thunder last night around 130, but that was enough for my boy to go nuts and get me out of bed for two hours. My girl seemed unaffected, which was odd. Nice out this morning.

Didn't see the truck last night. Messed around getting the VW off the trailer and was late getting to the bank for some money. I called the guy and he said I could come tonight, provided the guy that's supposed to come tonight doesn't buy it. Well, easy come easy go. I'll give him a call tonight.

Time for the Awful house. Haven't seen my buddies in a week, wonder what I've been missing. Happy June 1 everyone.
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:46 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot and dry,

Watering de garden and pick'in squash. Made 2 squash casseroles. Only used 2 sticks of butter

So Mike, From what I can gather the lift is still on the trailer. Why bother to unload and trailer when ya can jes go buy another one would be my motto.

If I had the dough. I had a tractor for every implement and never change them

GTG

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:03 AM
Always room for one more

Yes Jamesbo the lift is still on the trailer and I'm not going near that thing. There's a big hornets nest underneath it and if I get too close they come out and buzz me. So it will sit until winter.

That is an excellent motto. Just think of how much time you'd save by not having to change things out.