The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Have been eye balling the KTM and BMW's with Suzuki and Yamaha coming in close 3rd and 4th. 600 to 900cc range.

My thought will be to travel lettered roads (County) vs numbered and take my time. Always have had bikes since a young'n they do get in the blood.
Otto - Sounds like you are eyeballing "Adventure" class bikes by the brands you mentioned. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I am partial to Yamaha's, because I've owned both street and trail varieties and all were great bikes, in fact I still own the biggest bagger style bike they ever made, a 2010 Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe (1900cc) and I also have a 2016 Indian Chieftain (1811cc). Both are great bikes and I've never had a bit of trouble with either one.

2010 Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe

2016 Indian Chieftain

Old September 22nd, 2021, 05:49 PM

Chris nice bikes. Both look like they would be nice cruisers. Lots of Harleys here in WI. personally I think they are a bit over rated. I have had Kawasaki's mainly and a Yamaha Venture.
The next one will be an adventure on/off road bike just waiting out the shortage and a deal to fall in the lap. Gives me time to save up.
Old September 22nd, 2021, 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=otto72;1371471]Chris nice bikes. Both look like they would be nice cruisers. Lots of Harleys here in WI. personally I think they are a bit over rated. I have had Kawasaki's mainly and a Yamaha Venture.
The next one will be an adventure on/off road bike just waiting out the shortage and a deal to fall in the lap. Gives me time to save up! [QUOTE]

otto72 - Thanks for the compliment on the bikes. I also have luggage racks and tour packs for both for long touring. I've never known anyone personally who owned a Venture, but read several times they were great touring bikes in their day. I owned a big Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero before the Yamaha, it was also a great bike, but a little underpowered for it's size, but a very smooth highway cruiser. Good luck with your search for an adventure bike when the dealers get caught up with their inventory. I've never bought a new bike in my life, I always try to look for a bike that's a year or two old with extremely low mileage. There's usually plenty of nice ones out there, guys who thought they wanted to get into riding, and then for one reason or another they decide it just isn't what they thought it was going to be.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 06:14 AM

Good morning guys,
Pretty nippy here this morning, it's still only 49 at 0800, but supposed to get up to around 72 with sunshine. That smell of Fall is definitely in the air, my favorite time of year, but a grim reminder of what's around the corner.

I'm hoping my wife has turned the corner with the pain and swelling from her oral surgery. Her face looks less swollen this morning, and she said it feels better and she slept better last night. It was a rough couple of days for her.

The weather's supposed to be gorgeous this weekend and there are plenty of shows around the St. Louis area. I'm committed to going to the Archway Old's Club's show on Sunday, and still deciding on whether to take in a 2nd one on Saturday. It will probably depend on how my wife is feeling by then and whether she needs some help with anything.

We have plans to go over to my brother-in-law's place tomorrow evening for BBQ. Unfortunately, my wife will not be able to eat any of the good stuff. The main reason for going is to take back a functional Vintage 60's stereo console unit she refinished for them. I'm gonna need help from a neighbor buddy this evening to get that sucker up from the basement to the back of my truck, it's pretty darn heavy.

Well, hope everyone has a great day!
Old September 23rd, 2021, 09:20 AM
Running On Empty

It isn't real gloomy, but it's been lightly pissing & overcast all morning; so, you know what that means? Dryer time.
The last two thermostats passed continuity (as I suspected they would). As previously suggested a couple years ago when I began this repair, I'm going to R&R the electric motor since I have this thing torn apart anyways. Continuity checks passed on all switches. I'll probably spend a couple minutes seeing if I can actually diagnose the issue in the motor; but, I'm not going to lose sleep over its replacement. A $138 motor is less expensive than a replacement dryer of same quality ($800-$850).

Thus far this morning it's Norm 2: Dryer 0 - I'm kicking it's ***. Next, to remove the motor itself.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Thus far this morning it's Norm 2: Dryer 0 - I'm kicking it's ***. Next, to remove the motor itself.
Norm - I'll say this for ya, you're determined! I'm sure in the end that dryer's gonna lose the battle and be forced to work as intended! Good luck!
Old September 23rd, 2021, 11:02 AM

Car isn't done... going to be 40 something in the morning and 2 straight days of rain has wrecked the lake... so day off fishing tomorrow is postponed.... what am I gonna do?... Day drinking is climbing up the list...

Mornin all.... I know, it is afternoon now.... but it is raining on my parade... so.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 11:11 AM
Running On Empty

Not all dryers are designed/assembled the same, but there are very good general disassembly/assembly videos on YouTube & via several manufacturers who sell OEM replacement parts so that's helped a great deal. The motor was literally "caked" with lent from I'd suspect 40+ years of usage. I noticed some rubber cracking/pitting in the bearing races, the copper wire windings don't look all that bad, the internal springs were heavily caked with lent. I used the air compressor @120psi to blow out the motor (and several blower parts) then cleaned up all the parts & they're pretty much ready for reassembly. I'm suspecting the secondary windings or the springs which engage the secondary windings in the motor went South (demonstrating the no start condition). Fingers crossed when it gets put back together. I ordered a new electric motor & attendant drum belt pulley. The drum belt currently on the dryer looks to be in excellent condition - no cracking, shafing, wearing, etc. Parts should arrive next Tuesday & Wednesday. Downpour outdoors currently.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 08-141 K43727
Car isn't done... going to be 40 something in the morning and 2 straight days of rain has wrecked the lake... so day off fishing tomorrow is postponed.... what am I gonna do?... Day drinking is climbing up the list...

Mornin all.... I know, it is afternoon now.... but it is raining on my parade... so.
If you have a clothes dryer to repair today would be a great day.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:25 PM

Norm, Glad you'll soon have clean drawers. Busy week at ye ole cemetery
Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:33 PM
Jeff

It isn't real gloomy, but it's been lightly pissing & overcast all morning; so, you know what that means? Dryer time.
The last two thermostats passed continuity (as I suspected they would). As previously suggested a couple years ago when I began this repair, I'm going to R&R the electric motor since I have this thing torn apart anyways. Continuity checks passed on all switches. I'll probably spend a couple minutes seeing if I can actually diagnose the issue in the motor; but, I'm not going to lose sleep over its replacement. A $138 motor is less expensive than a replacement dryer of same quality ($800-$850).

Wait... "a couple years ago when I began this repair"? Are you being a goof, or have you really been putting off fixing the dryer that long? You drying your drawers in the wind??

I have 4 people in the house, including two big teenage boys, so there's no way I can let the washer or dryer be out of commission for very long. On the dryer, I've resoldered the circuit board a couple of times, before I actually had to break down and order a new one. The solder fix bought me a couple extra years of time. Have also replaced the heating coil and thermal fuses, belt, and all pulleys. The washer had the pump impeller break, that was a pretty easy fix.

I am not a fan of the circuitry on these newer washers and dryers. I'd much prefer the old electro-mechanical controls, as those parts rarely failed. But, the wife was sick of constantly doing laundry, and these higher-capacity HE machines cut the workload about in half.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:45 PM
Running On Empty

James - Throwing down some fertilizer this week were you?

Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
Wait... "a couple years ago when I began this repair"? Are you being a goof, or have you really been putting off fixing the dryer that long? You drying your drawers in the wind??
Yes, a total goof. The dryer went South ~2 months ago. Seems like a couple years ago.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:50 PM
Running On Empty

Pesto over Angel Hair - one of my favorite meals.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:53 PM

James - Throwing down some fertilizer this week were you?
NO. The last thing I want is the grass to grow faster

I would much prefer it to stop raining, and stop burring children

I understand [ spiritually] they are well taken care of [sorry for any religious/biblical content]. But it's incredibly difficult on the parents therefore me
Old September 23rd, 2021, 02:02 PM

Pesto over Angel Hair - one of my favorite meals.
Norm - Looks like you're eating much healthier than I am today. I'm having good old fashioned pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and yeast rolls. Of course with a stick or two of butter!
Old September 23rd, 2021, 02:03 PM
Running On Empty

Jeff - BTW, this dryer is entirely electro-mechanical. Hotpoint at least 40+ years of age. Not much to it honestly. I'd bet it will withstand the next apocalpyse.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Looks like you're eating much healthier than I am today. I'm having good old fashioned pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and yeast rolls. Of course with a stick or two of butter!
Chris - I have minimal regard for the A.M.A. - glorified weasels most of them. Their recommendations taken as bible for far too many humans. Recall when it was the most terrible thing to be eating eggs and butter will kill you? Eat as many eggs as you like and pound the stuff with real 100% butter. None of this foo-foo imitation (hydrogenated) margarine for me, baby.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 02:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
I do not have a bike at the moment, however before the covid and over inflation of recreation vehicles I was dreaming of this bucket list item. Have been eye balling the KTM and BMW's with Suzuki and Yamaha coming in close 3rd and 4th. 600 to 900cc range.
My thought will be to travel lettered roads (County) vs numbered and take my time. Always have had bikes since a young'n they do get in the blood.
That's a great way to ride, IMO. I've traveled various sections of The Great River Road. I'm surprised the Potosi River hasn't ran dry from all the Potosi beer my Mom's side of the family consumed over the years.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 03:39 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. No rain. Love it. A bit cool for my liking but no rain.

Work seemed trying today. I got up early and went in, we didn't have any work until around 7. The one inspector gets pissy about stupid things and today was no exception. It looked like we were getting ahead and then some analyst came down to audit my workwith and wasted 30 minutes of our time. Then the "acting lead" who is really just a worker who is filling in after the bad lead left, came around and said take an hour's lunch. Damn, we were trying to get out early. But you know what, we still left by 130.

Jamesbo I can't imagine being a parent and losing a child, no matter what age. My Grandmother lost her oldest son at age 10, and her youngest son, my Dad, at age 42. Not to mention her husband after ~30 years of marriage. At my Dad's funeral, she asked the minister, how much more am I required to withstand?

Chris I think if I were to get another bike it would be an Indian. I like the big hooded front fender. But I like Harley's fishtail exhaust. Something to be said about a bike that's built in a wigwam...

I went to bed early last night and I think I'll repeat that tonight. Not sure if we're working overtime this weekend, a company is coming in and overhauling the big industrial washer that the wheels go through. They are starting tomorrow at 1pm, don't know how long it will last. I plan on going in early tomorrow, and also plan on going home early. Maybe I'll be able to catch my friends at the Awful house.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

I see that the current iteration of Indian motorcycles are built in Iowa, and not in Mass, where the original Wigwam is. The Wigwam still exists, some of the buildings added over time have been demolished, but the original part is now apartments. Apropos if you ask me, a wigwam is a large place for many people to live. Sounds like an apartment building to me.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

The original Wigwam has been closed for many years - since 1953; although, the building stood for many years after until the collections contained w/in the original Wigwam were donated to the Indian Motorcycle Museum in Springfield, MA (courtesy of curator/donor Esta Manthos). After Indian Motorcycle went bankrupt (1953) the new Indian Motorcycle Company opened in California (which was a conglomerate of nine various (Gilroy IMC) owners from California,1999–2003) branded under Gilroy (CA) IMC. From 2006-2010 Indian Motorcycles were built in Kings Mountain, NC (I purchased the last of the Kings Mountain Indian Motorcycles in 2010). Polaris Industries purchased Indian Motorcycles in 2010 and began assembling Indian Motorcycles (Polaris Industries) in Iowa. The first two years they assembled motorcycles from the remaining parts inventories they procured from the Kings Mountain Indian Motorcycles facilities. In 2013 (Polaris) Indian Motorcycles developed the Thunderstroke 111 engine and began selling the first new Indian Motorcycles with the Thunderstroke 111 engine in August of 2013.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 23rd, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I think if I were to get another bike it would be an Indian. I like the big hooded front fender.
Okay have a good evening everyone.
Mike - The Indian's face on the front of the headress on the fender actually lights up. You can get the fishtail exhaust too aftermarket. I believe Norm's Indian has fishtail exhaust on it.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:29 PM

Here's a couple pics of.the vintage Zenith console stereo that my wife refinished for her youngest daughter. It's in great shape and sounds good too!

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:29 PM
Running On Empty

Indian Motorcycle - The Wigwam

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

The adornment (ornament) on the front fender is referred to as a War Bonnet. I removed my original and installed it on the hood of my 2003 F-250 as a working (lighted) hood ornament. I installed (no longer available Zambini Bros.) tank and fender (War Bonnet) copper/turquoise emblems.

Zambini Bros. War Bonnet

Original OEM War Bonnet

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:43 PM
Running On Empty

F-250 w/ War Bonnet (and, a pint of Apple Pie someone was kind enough to give to me in the mountains of WV.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:44 PM
Always room for one more

I've got one of those hi-fi's. My aunt bought it new in 1970 and I brought it to my house when she got old and went to a home. When she got old. She was old the whole time I knew her. When she couldn't live alone anymore is more like it. It has that electronic hum to it whenever it's on, so it's pretty much unusable, but it's a beautiful piece of furniture.

Norm those are neat pictures. You don't ever get any grief for having a light up hood ornament? Is that the face of someone specific or a generic Indian guy?

Okay off to bed. This damn internet...

Old September 23rd, 2021, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

The Zambini Bros. War Bonnet eyes light up (ONLY). The Kings Mtn. OEM War Bonnet the entire piece of glass lights up. The face is non-specific - it's a generic Indian guy.

Zambini Bros. War Bonnet

Kings Mtn. OEM War Bonnet
Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I did find a bike for you...a friend of mine put it together for you. Comes complete with aircraft brake line wrench.

Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:08 PM

Mike - I did find a bike for you...a friend of mine put it together for you. Comes complete with aircraft brake line wrench.
Should have known sooner or later some guys would start building a motorcycle version of a RatRod. Do you call it a RatCycle or RatBike???
Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
It has that electronic hum to it whenever it's on, so it's pretty much unusable...
Mike - The hum is the result of one or more very simple filter caps in the hi-fi - they're about $1.00 each. The AC current is supplied to the hi-fi then converted to DC via a rectifier. The filter cap(s) absorb the hum. Replace them and you're golden.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Should have known sooner or later some guys would start building a motorcycle version of a RatRod. Do you call it a RatCycle or RatBike???
These types of bikes have been around since they first started building motorcycles I'm pretty sure. I've seen them forever and everywhere - some better than others. Initially a lot of guys built them up from bobbers.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:13 PM

That's a great way to ride, IMO. I've traveled various sections of The Great River Road. I'm surprised the Potosi River hasn't ran dry from all the Potosi beer my Mom's side of the family consumed over the years.
They started out in your neck of the woods on the TransWisconsinAdventureTtrail, even a small blip of the grotto's. To be honest I like the idea of just idling the back roads and soaking it up. They have a nice set up for the brewery the way it looks now in Potosi.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:29 PM
Running On Empty

The motorcycle thing was a nice diversion. I like to remind myself how wonderful they truly are: Suck, Squeeze, Bang & Blow

Old September 23rd, 2021, 05:42 PM

The motorcycle thing was a nice diversion. I like to remind myself how wonderful they truly are: Suck, Squeeze, Bang & Blow

Nice animation, even better saying!
Old September 23rd, 2021, 09:16 PM

Mike - The hum is the result of one or more very simple filter caps in the hi-fi - they're about $1.00 each. The AC current is supplied to the hi-fi then converted to DC via a rectifier. The filter cap(s) absorb the hum. Replace them and you're golden.
On really old equipment, the capacitors are paper/cardboard tubes, and the electrolyte dries out. The restoration trick is to hollow out the tube and slide a modern capacitor inside so it looks like an original part.
Old September 24th, 2021, 03:14 AM

It's 50 degrees and I'm freezing

After meeting with a family I'm headingheading north

Have a great weekend oldsmobile friends
Old September 24th, 2021, 04:06 AM

Chris, you asked quite a while back why I didn't switch my car from bench to buckets. I forgot why exactly except I had decided to keep car more original, but then I remembered. 71 Cutlasses and I think also 442's (convertibles- that is) never came with a blue interior in buckets. Hardtops could have a blue interiors with buckets. But 'verts only came with a blue interior with the bench with center fold down armrest. If you ordered a white interior, you got a black dash, same as a black bucket interior. My car came with a blue interior which is all blue, including dash, inside of A pillars and kick panels. I did replace all the door panels so I could have went white seats and door panels, but I would have had to paint dash, kick panels and A pillar trim with black vinyl paint, which I think I would have been unhappy with the results. I also could have went with a all blue bucket combo, or I could have left the blue dash, etc with white seats and sides, and it may have looked OK, but I knew it would not be as the factory would have produced. I know going to Olds meets, etc, people would notice that and also, why would the factory not offer it that way? They must have figured it looked odd?? So that and I decided the arm rest bench is pretty comfy, to leave it a bench.
-- Yesterday it rained cats and dogs all day. Tomorrow we are going to "Trek the Mighty Mac" on our quads. It's a event where you can ride your quad or side by side across the Mackinac bridge one way. Should be fun I hope weather co-operates! I walked the bridge back in the 90's and it is so amazing!
Old September 24th, 2021, 04:17 AM

I think the "Magic Hat" brewery sticker completes the look.