The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Always room for one more

Gold coins. Didn't we used to use gold coins as currency?

Hi everyone.

Got up too stinkin' early and hit the road. Uneventful trip and it's beautiful here. My sister is coming over later so I went to the Home Depot and got some asphalt stuff for the shed. Not the Henry stuff, they only had white and it was 75 bucks a gallon. So we'll try some cheep stuff. Heck if it doesn't last I'll do it again.

Norm that was a Seinfeld bit about the Ovaltine when Banya didn't have any good jokes and Jerry wrote that for him. Only his papers got mixed up with George's and George gave that routine at a Yankees' meeting and Banya did jokes about risk management. It killed.

Greg does Kalamazoo have a song? Saginaw does. Sounds like a good time at the show. I'm not tall by any stretch, about 5-10, but I've been scrunched in the back seats plenty of times.

My sister is here see ya.

Old September 11th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
...does Kalamazoo have a song?
Glenn Miller, baby....

Old September 11th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Well, on the $20 dollar bill it states " This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". But I have know instances of business' refusing cash. I could see if it were a small business, like a mom & pop, and someone was trying to pay a large sum of cash, but otherwise there is no reason to refuse it. I do wonder if a business refused cash, could you go to the government and file a complaint? A question to those of you in or from the snow belt. Once again for the second time this year, I have tried to get the encrusted salt out of my cars carpet to no avail. No carpet cleaners or scrub brushes work. Any ideas? I was wondering if vinegar would dissolve it.
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:27 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - I guess I never saw a previous post of yours regarding encrusted salt on your carpet. Vinegar will work fine; but, it will take numerous applications to get rid of it. I used to get that crud on my cars carpet each year when I lived outside Chicago. Soak the snot out of it with straight vinegar, let it sit for some time, scrub it in, then wet-vac it while it's still soaking wet. This was all before college chemistry. If I were to do it today, I'd use HCl (Hydrochloric Acid=Muriatic Acid) in a 5% (by weight) solution instead of vinegar. HCl is by far a much stronger acid than acetic acid (Vinegar) and will work quickly and more vigorously to dissolve the salt minerals. Out of the jug, Muriatic Acid is ~ 30% - 35% (by weight), so dilute accordingly. Do a little inconspicuous test area to see how it works. You don't want to use a baking soda or any time of a lye (NaOH, KOH, etc.) since you're not dissolving organics - you're dissolving salts (mineral ions) which have precipitated out of solution (salt water).
Old September 11th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Always room for one more

Just got back from the Awful house. After my sister left we went out because Mom didn't want to fix anything.

It's beautiful out tonight. Gonna do my asphalt painting tomorrow, time got away from me this afternoon.

I think it will be early to bed tonight. I've had it. Have a good night everyone.

Old September 11th, 2021, 07:16 PM

Hey guys - Went to my work friend's visitation yesterday evening. Glad I went, but it was very sad and depressing. I've been in a funk about it most of the day, really makes you start thinking about your own mortality when friends your own age die. Helped my wife with couple errands for her furniture refinishing and that was about it. Should have mowed the lawn and didn't, just didn't feel up to it. Hopefully tomorrow I get up on the brighter side of the bed! Hope everyone had a great day!
Old September 11th, 2021, 09:12 PM

Enjoy each new day. You never know.
Old September 11th, 2021, 09:26 PM

Norm, thanks. I hadn't posted anything in the past about the salt in the carpet, even the best floorliners can't prevent it. Off to the Gilmore tomorrow, for the fall musclecar show. Probably only one more show/event to go to this year after this one, next weekend's Purestock Shootout. Hopefully the weather is good.
Old September 11th, 2021, 11:05 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Fun71
Enjoy each new day. You never know.
+1 Kenneth , we had some accidents in family with death , and had also a near friend
who got shot to death. + diseases like cancer.
Old September 12th, 2021, 04:55 AM

Chris, I know what you mean about losing friends, I am sorry for your loss, but I have to say this... It only gets worse- older you get the more friends you lose. And when talking about your own health issues, we all bitch about our aches and pains, etc. Then someone ( usually younger) will say, "What's the alternative to getting older? -Death." I remember saying that to older people years ago, But now it is not funny, or witty, or whatever.... -true as it may be... OK enough of that..
This morning I went on Amazon and bought some sympathy cards and birthday cards in packages for 15-20 bucks a package of 25. I just hate buying cards at $5-$10 a piece at the drug store. But I know we will need 'em, Bday cards for the younger ones, sympathy cards for the older ones, OOPs I said enough of that! Take care, Olds friends!
Old September 12th, 2021, 07:08 AM

A few months ago, I switched rims [went from 14" to 15"\ and bought new shoes. I took the old tires/rim and [put them in the lake house garage with the other six sets. Yesterday, I noticed one of them coming apart. So I let the air out o avoid an explosion

Sure am glad I got new tires

[

Maybe I should go into the SS II hose reel business

Old September 12th, 2021, 04:25 PM

Jamesbo, ya changed tires just in time. Got home from the car show today, and sat in my recliner, just as I did, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. A Coopers hawk was on the lawn, shot me a look through the glass, and looked down at something in his grasp, he quickly flew off with his meal, a chipmunk. One less varmint to deal with. I really like the '63 Daytona Blue Vette with the red interiors, always been one of my favorite color combos. Early on there is a '72 Cutlass convert 4speed with a claimed 455 under the hood, it had "G" heads, but not "Ga" heads. Vin was covered up, so not sure if it was the real deal. a bit rough, and will need a lot to get 'er straight. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JjLfa3VpWy23s3GYA
Old September 12th, 2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, I know what you mean about losing friends, I am sorry for your loss, but I have to say this... It only gets worse- older you get the more friends you lose.
Greg - Thanks for the kind and sincere way of telling me death of friends is inevitable when you get to our ages. I'm doing better today, but you're right, gotta prepare myself for this happening more and more.
Old September 12th, 2021, 06:12 PM

My grandmother made it to 100, almost 101. She knew no one her age; everyone she knew was at least 20 years younger. My granddad's cousin made it to 102, same situation.

If you can avoid cancer and heart disease, you can do it, too. My father is 76, and, in the past 20 years, has lost his four closest friends. It's worth noting that the mean age of death is 76, but the median is 80, and the mode is 86 (at least on the data I am using), so there are a LOT of people kicking it in their late 70s, and, the further you go past 86, the more you are leaving everyone else behind.

I lost my first friend at 18, and have lost several since of people my age. I think this is why old men sit together so much; they may only have each other as friends their age when in their 80s.
Old September 13th, 2021, 02:01 AM

Anyone want a biscuit?

Old September 13th, 2021, 06:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Hit the road late last night and got home around 4. Was a nice night and an uneventful trip. I was afraid it would be too hot without the AC that's why we left at night. About an hour in we stopped for gas and when we left there I turned on the AC just for grins, and it worked. So we had AC the rest of the way. Now, it is suspect because at other times it has worked and then not worked, and I'm not taking a chance on being in the middle of a hot day with Tiger in the car and no AC. Eh, it all worked out.

Good visit at Mom's. Got a few little things done and I'm happy with the results. Might start painting again next trip. The guest bedroom is very small and she has things crammed in there, so it might be one wall per visit. We're in no rush.

Dan my favorite out of those pictures is the fire truck. I need a fire truck. What starts with F and ends with K and has UC in between?

Jamesbo that happened to a donut spare I used on one of the trailers. It was all I had and the donut spare fit, so I put it on and kept it to 50 the rest of the way home. Got a new tire for the trailer and threw the donut to the side. A few days later I saw that the tread had done the exact same thing. I believe it was the first time that tire had been used, although the car it came out of was over 20 years old.

Okay need to get things moving. Monday morning and everyone is at work, and I'm home. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 13th, 2021, 06:53 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - x2 on the REO Fire Truck. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old September 13th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Always room for one more

Got plenty done today. Laundry here, cleaning at the new house. Also, went to Awful house for lunch and saw just about everybody. Was a great time. I'm sore tonight, apparently I cleaned more vigorously than I thought.

Question about grass to the grass experts. You guys keep your lawns at 1.5 inches, with centipede grass. Does it have to be that low? Can it be a few inches and still look nice?

Hitting the sack. Back in the car tomorrow but the ride isn't quite as long. I'll be sad to leave Tiger at the kennel. In fact it's the new place and he's never been there before. I'll be worried about him until I get back.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 13th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Question about grass to the grass experts. You guys keep your lawns at 1.5 inches, with centipede grass. Does it have to be that low? Can it be a few inches and still look nice?
It needs to be mowed at maximum 1.5"; but, this requires mowing (generally) once/week. Any longer and it doesn't do very well.

In Georgia you should mow as per the following:

The recommended mowing height for centipedegrass is 1.0 to 1.5 inches.
SOURCE: Centipedegrass (See Item #3 - Follow suggested cultural practices.)
Old September 13th, 2021, 08:47 PM

I mowed my front yard tonight. Mowed it twice as it was a foot tall, and I wanted to scatter the clippings more evenly. I will probably have to mow it again to get it looking right here in a few days. Split shifts the rest of week, will mow tomorrow AM maybe.
Old September 13th, 2021, 11:17 PM

Thanks, Norm. I thought that it might be a Reo when I first spotted it, but because it was on the trailer, I couldn't get close enough to see the radiator ornament to help I.D. it. Good thing for the zoom lens on the camera.
Old September 14th, 2021, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I mowed my front yard tonight. Mowed it twice as it was a foot tall, and I wanted to scatter the clippings more evenly. I will probably have to mow it again to get it looking right here in a few days. Split shifts the rest of week, will mow tomorrow AM maybe.

Koda, When we can't mow the cemetery as often as we want [because of rain,]We mow from the center out blowing the clipping out to the edge
Old September 14th, 2021, 05:53 AM

--James, that tire is just crazy! Good thing you changed it. I gotta believe that "newer" ( 80-90's) old tires were the worst. I have a really old Gulf brand tire on the spare tire carrier of my 56 truck that has a good crack in it and has had for years but never opened up like that tire you show. I've had lots of really old tire that were used just for rollers, but I also heard about one guy( I think here on CO) had a spare blow up right in his trunk!
-- Went to the Hot Rod drag week at US 131 Dragway yesterday. What a great time those guys are amazing. Check out this blown big block Nova. That guy (Squirrel on the HAMB- if you guys go on there) drove this thing from Arizona! Then goes around Michigan, Ohio, Illinois to 4-5 dragstrips ( all driving the car on a set route). Then after completing Drag Week he will drive it back home to Arizona!! Got to talk to Squirrel for a half hour- He's my hero! Also talked to a bunch of guys and they all were really easy going and pleasant.

Old September 14th, 2021, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I really like the '63 Daytona Blue Vette with the red interiors, always been one of my favorite color combos. Early on there is a '72 Cutlass convert 4speed with a claimed 455 under the hood, it had "G" heads, but not "Ga" heads. Vin was covered up, so not sure if it was the real deal. a bit rough, and will need a lot to get 'er straight. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JjLfa3VpWy23s3GYA
Dan - I've been out-of-the-loop a little, great picks, thanks for sharing!
Old September 14th, 2021, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
-- Went to the Hot Rod drag week at US 131 Dragway yesterday. What a great time those guys are amazing. Check out this blown big block Nova. That guy (Squirrel on the HAMB- if you guys go on there) drove this thing from Arizona! Then goes around Michigan, Ohio, Illinois to 4-5 dragstrips ( all driving the car on a set route). Then after completing Drag Week he will drive it back home to Arizona!! Got to talk to Squirrel for a half hour- He's my hero! Also talked to a bunch of guys and they all were really easy going and pleasant.
Greg - Does US 131 Dragway still have the "Martin" name attached to it? My dad would take us to see races there usually a couple of times per summer. I can't imagine the fuel bill the "Squirrel" racks up on that trip, it's crazy he drives that thing all the way from AZ! Really nice those guys are willing to take the time to shoot the bull with the spectators.
Old September 14th, 2021, 06:43 AM

Good morning guys,
Busy day yesterday. Two furniture pick-ups for the wife, one in the morning and one in the early evening, sandwiched in between was my daily workout and lawnmowing. Finished the day with a cruise in the 4-4-2 with mama to the DQ for an ice cream.

Both dogs have a vet wellness visit today, 1100 and 1130. At least there shouldn't be much traffic and the weather's nice. Several car shows close by this coming weekend on both days. Still trying to decide which one/s I'd like to attend.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 14th, 2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old September 14th, 2021, 07:35 AM
Running On Empty

I’ve been staining - lots of staining.

Hats off to Squirrel.

Club Championship this weekend. I don’t intend/pretend to win. “If” I can place in my division I’ll make myself a chocolate malted milkshake.
Old September 14th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another morning of waking up and saying, the heck with Awful house I'm sleeping in. And another morning of a nose in my eye. So guess what we did.

Thanks Norm for the grass lesson. I think I will pave my front yard and then paint it green. I'd only have to repaint every few years, instead of mow all the time.

I bet the guy who drives that Nova all over the country sleeps for two weeks when he gets home. I tell you what, that's some ***** right there. First off driving that monster all over, and secondly racing the car that needs to get you home. Sounds like an awesome guy.

So Tiger goes to the new jail today. He's eaten most of his breakfast, he probably won't eat anything while he's there. Silly boy.

Okay gotta get things together and hit the road. See you's in a couple.

Old September 14th, 2021, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Club Championship this weekend. I don’t intend/pretend to win. “If” I can place in my division I’ll make myself a chocolate malted milkshake.
Norm - Good luck this weekend, ya never know . . . that's why they play the tourney!
Old September 14th, 2021, 07:49 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. They certainly don’t put it on for my benefit. It’s a good time. A selection of players who actually play by the rules and have “true” handicaps. As opposed to the majority of players I play with. Am I being a little critical? Yeah. You should see some of the guys I play with and the actions they take to improve their ball position. Oh well, I enjoy the game as others do, I’m happy to see many of them golfing at their age. Good on them.
Old September 14th, 2021, 08:12 AM

Chris - Thanks. They certainly don’t put it on for my benefit. It’s a good time. A selection of players who actually play by the rules and have “true” handicaps. As opposed to the majority of players I play with. Am I being a little critical? Yeah. You should see some of the guys I play with and the actions they take to improve their ball position. Oh well, I enjoy the game as others do, I’m happy to see many of them golfing at their age. Good on them.
Norm - You bring up somewhat of a sore spot with me. When I used to play 2 or 3 times a week, including a work league where legitimate handicaps were being kept, I could never understand why some league members would at the least bend the rules, or at the worst cheat, when all it did was erroneously lower their handicap, unless they just wanted folks to think they were better than they actually were? Then, of course, when they were playing in a big money tournament and guys would call them out on their antics, they'd get all pissed off. I always figured my game is what it is, and my accurate handicap was there to give me an equal footing on any given day. I just never understood why some feel they had to try and cut corners to improve their scoring???
Old September 14th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Well, you pretty much answered your own question. For those physically able golfers who cheat, they think they will improve their outlook (impression) to others. They are deplorable, wicked & contemptuous - having never learned the values of honesty & integrity. Now, there are many occasions when I’m paired or on a team with some of the regular old geezer pleasers 80+ y.o. who are very unstable on their feet. If I see their ball laying on a very steep embankment, a very precarious position in a bunker, etc. - I’ll move their ball to level ground for them without penalty. This game (for amateurs) is to be enjoyed by everyone. The other **** knockers can kiss my ****.
Old September 14th, 2021, 11:16 AM

Norm,Chris

Do [did] you ever move a ball in a dangerous situation?
Old September 14th, 2021, 11:19 AM

Norm - I agree, I pretty much answered my own question. Really it was just a minor rant. Completely agree with your point of helping the older guys out, or someone with a disability.
Old September 14th, 2021, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm,Chris

Do [did] you ever move a ball in a dangerous situation?
James - Yes, I have moved my ball when I thought that striking the ball where it lay would be a danger to myself or others. I can honestly say that when I've done that during casual play that I did not give myself a penalty stroke for the relief, but in league play or a tournament, and not granted relief by a Marshall or other players, I took my lumps and accepted the penalty for the relief.
Old September 14th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Running On Empty

Define dangerous.
Old September 14th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Define dangerous.
I guess the two circumstances that readily come to mind for me are trying to thread the needle between two or more trees when there is little chance of doing so, and the ricocheting ball could hit someone, or the potential for breaking a club on the backswing or follow through when tree limbs or other obstacles are in the way. All depends on where and how many other people are around as to the degree of danger.
Old September 14th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Define dangerous.
A few years ago a teen ager at a very exclusive private club was killed when his shaft broke against a tree then the broken shat bounced back and impaled him

Definition, = potential to cause harm or fatality
Old September 14th, 2021, 02:58 PM

This story is not really relevant to our discussion. It's probably been 20-years ago now, but I'll never forget the story that happened at a course here in St. Louis. A father was golfing and letting his young teenage daughter drive the cart. Coming up to the tee box she stopped the cart just ever so slightly in front of the tee box. The father toed one off his driver striking his daughter squarely in her temple and it killed her. Absolutely dangerous!
Old September 14th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
A few years ago a teen ager at a very exclusive private club was killed when his shaft broke against a tree then the broken shat bounced back and impaled him

Definition, = potential to cause harm or fatality
I am aware of those exact type/style of accidents and they unfortunately do occur. It is the responsibility of the golfer to decide if he/she will attempt the shot. It WOULD NOT most likely have been a dangerous situation had the golfer simply elected to take a 4-iron and punch the ball into an area where he/she had a complete unhindered swing - that was completely the responsibility of the golfer. They also have had on the books since the very beginning of golf a thing called an "unplayable lie" - sometimes you have to use intelligent judgement and sometimes people do not use the intelligence they have been provided.

There are also incidents of not just several, but many people show have impaled a broken iron shaft into their abdomen, leg, torso, etc. when doing nothing more than "walking" - yes, walking. Shaft breaks, they fall, shaft protrudes through opposite side of leg. Was it dangerous?
Dangerous to me would be my ball residing next to the mouth of a 4' copperhead snake, cottonmouth snake, 14' alligator, fallen 440V power line or the chance female laying across the freeway like a serpent with a .45 cal. gun in her hand pointed at me.

Bottom line - no, you don't HAVE to make the stupid dangerous swings - there are alternatives to getting your ball in play.