The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2021, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Wild blueberry citrus muffin loaf fresh from the oven. Now to make some coffee.

Old September 5th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

With coffee....oh mamma....2 tsp of freshly shaved very fine orange zest (peel).....yum yum....yum yum.

Old September 5th, 2021, 04:35 PM

Looks yummy Norm
Old September 5th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

That member's blueberry cobbler inspired me, James.
Old September 5th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Doh! OK, I get it now.
Ya had me worried for a minute. Glad ya got it. The berry loaf looks pretty good.
Old September 5th, 2021, 05:09 PM

Me too, stay tuned.

I'm gonna vote fer a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and watch it melt down the sides

and maybe a splash of Cointreau to help out the zest
Old September 5th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

Darn it...why didn't I think of ice cream & Cointreau? OK, after kitchen clean-up I believe I'll dress it up a bit.
Old September 5th, 2021, 06:00 PM
Running On Empty

No Cointreau in the cabinet. I think I looked for Cointreau a couple months ago and didn't have a bottle. I'll need to put it on my shopping list.
I turned to the Friar Angelico for inspiration & hazlenut liqueur is a nice accompaniment. I drizzled it over the loaf cake and the vanilla ice cream.

Old September 5th, 2021, 06:48 PM

Good evening guys,
Norm - The blueberry/citrus bread looks yummy! I made a Marie Callender's Cherry lattice pie late yesterday evening and it was too late for it to cool enough to eat. Had a nice big piece a few minutes ago with Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream. Great cherry pie, nice and tart!

Mike - The Valiant looks real nice. I must have missed when you were talking about looking at a truck, what kind is it?

Been a pretty busy day today. I ran into a little rain on the way home from the cruise Friday night. Got out this morning and started cleaning the car up while it was still nice and cool.. Cleaned the vinyl top first, then the chrome bumpers and stainless trim, then the wheels. Tomorrow morning I'll do all the painted surfaces.

Treated both my girls and their families with a trip to a local Water Park today. The weather was perfect for it and everyone had a wonderful time! They had some huge water slides, tube runs, lazy river float, and mega wave pool. It was a blast, but I'm pooped!

Sounds like everyone had a nice day. Hope everyone has an enjoyable and relaxing labor day!
Old September 5th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Always room for one more

So I go over to the shop to get my trailer, and I remember what a tough time I had getting that car up there and I really didn't want to push it off, so I called my friend and he said sure go get the trailer. This was now at dusk because I was on the phone for two freaking hours with this boring guy, and I get home with the trailer, backed it onto the driveway(perfectly I might add) and I get a text. The other guy showed up and the truck is sold. Great. Well, I don't have an 8 hour day driving now. Chris it was a 1985 Chevy Blazer, a military CUCV. Civilian Utility Cargo Vehicle. And since everyone likes alphabet soup, it was probably painted with CARC. Chemical Agent Resistant Coating.

I've seen Duel several times. I always yell when the Valiant bites it. It wouldn't make for a very good movie, but even the six would smoke that lumbering truck. My question, if he was in fear for his life, why didn't he skip his meeting, which he never made anyway, and go back to the city. And after he jumped around like a monkey after his car went over the cliff in a big ball of flame, how did he expect to get home? I've got that movie on tape somewhere, I should find it and watch it again. I read the restaurant where he smacked the guy's sandwich out of his hand is still there.

So I'll stay up a little longer and then go to bed and hit the Awful house in the morning. I'll continue my packing and moving, unless of course I stay at the computer too long and find something else to go look at. I mean, I do have that trailer.

Well have a good evening everyone.

Old September 5th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Mike - Sorry you lost out on the Blazer. Sometimes timing just sucks!
Old September 5th, 2021, 09:17 PM

Norm, the pic of your pastel colored “coffee” reminded me of a time when the wife’s Chicago friend tried one of my staples from Louisiana, Community Dark Roast. She spit it out, exclaiming “this coffee has gone bad” as she was not accustomed to “real” coffee. I explained Louisiana coffee to her, and she admitted she was not a fan.
I offered her a cup of tea instead.
Old September 6th, 2021, 01:47 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by slantflat

Here is the car I went to get yesterday. The primer on the side is where the guy pulled off shitty stick on side molding. I think he just sprayed over the residual glue. Odd. Anyway, nice little car. The Valiant was considered a compact in its day. These days a car this size is almost a full size. I dare say it's as big as a full size Japanese car. Of course, this was a compact and the full size cars back then were behemoths.
Nice car Mike , i owned a -71 for a couple of years long time ago with 225 slant six and 904 aut . I drove this all year around
and it was a great car in snow and cold temp also. The police in Sweden used this model and also earlier and later models.

Old September 6th, 2021, 03:48 AM

Mike, Sorry about the Blazer

Question When you buy do you pay cash? When I bought my H/O the guy insisted on CIFNFA [cash in fist no fooling around] I had to go to 2 banks to get enough even after giving them notice I would need it in a few days
Old September 6th, 2021, 03:55 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Understand about the coffee. I like all my coffees with a tad of cream added to them. For me at least, cream removes the bitterness but leaves the coffee flavor. I've been drinking French Market Coffee & Chicory for 30+ years and remains one of my favorites. I've drank the Cafe du Monde Coffee & Chicory on numerous occasions, as well. The several times I've been to New Orleans I've found all the coffees to be delicious - especially when you're drinking a cup with a real Beignet.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:03 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time 0830 hours. We open early on holiday Mondays, when we normally would not open until 1100 hours. I walked each day last week as the weather has been most enjoyable. Today's weather has the temperature cooler but the humidity has gone up again. We'll see when I get to the club if I ride or walk.

James - Can you walk the course at your club? My previous club did not allow walking, no coolers, no outside beverages, etc. - blah, blah, blah. My current club (the past five years) we can walk, bring a cooler, and bring beverages. Members can keep their open bottles of liquor on premises (in their respective locker) & bring them to the lounge bar & purchase their mixes separately.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:14 AM

Norm, Yes, you can walk, or cart or bag cart or caddy. Oddly enough, they have free bottle water at 1 and 11 but if you get it from the cart girl ya have to pay, Same for snacks, [peanuts trail mix]

I can drink and do nothing or not drink and do some things. So I don't drink an attempt to play golf. I have seen one guy bring a cooler full of Colorado Koolaide but most don't

I always thought you'd be a Kopi lua kinda guy. Poor monkey
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:44 AM

Lookie what the Super Model brought home for dinner 34 ounce bone in ribeye. She's a keeper
Old September 6th, 2021, 06:37 AM

James - That's a fine looking slab of beef, enjoy!
Old September 6th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo that's a big chunk o' cow. Is that Bear's dinner? I usually pay cash because I buy cheep, and cheap, cars. I've taken money for cars before, but it's always been worked out ahead of time, like if I'm buying something far out of town. I find I can usually bully a better price out of someone if I show up with cash and a trailer. Kind of puts a sense of urgency in him. Shows I'm serious and not some tire kicker.

Glenn love the pictures of the police Valiants. I believe there was actually a heavy duty package available for that purpose. I know a few companies used Valiants as taxi's. They are a right smart car and did themselves in. They were too good, and no one would buy another because they wouldn't die.

So all this coffee talk, my Mom mentioned cowboy coffee one time and said the cowboys would put bacon grease in their coffee. I looked up cowboy coffee and it made no mention of bacon grease. Sounds gross anyway. What is Mom actually thinking about?

Since I had the truck and trailer at my house, I thought I'd sleep in and not go to Awful house. There's no place to park a rig like that and keep an eye on it(because of Tiger). Well, Tiger wasn't having it. So I finally got up around 8, lollygagged around in the shower and getting ready, and I came out into the kitchen and there's Tiger sitting by the front door. I said, we'll have to take a detour. So we got in the truck and went to the other house and traded for the dogmobile and then went to Awful house. Honestly.

Oh so the bad lead was at work Saturday. We only did 75 wheels and got out pretty early. Before we left the lead gave us an inspirational speech. He said thanks for coming in, especially on a holiday weekend. It is a holiday that honors us, the working man, and all that we do and stand for. Sounded pretty good. I came home and looked up Labor Day. It's for unionized workers, and that isn't us. It's the thought that counts.

Okay Walmart. Then more packing and moving. But I end early today so I can get ready for work and go to bed early. Short week, yay, and I'll be at my desk. Have a great day everyone.

Old September 6th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Running On Empty

James - How about the Kopi luwak bean. I had to look up Kopi lua in case you knew something I did not. Cat poop coffee is not my thing. Bone-in rib eye is, however. That looks delicious - slow cooked ~4 hours - I'll take an end piece, thank you.

Mike - The only cowboy coffee I've ever known and the only cowboy coffee I've made many, many, many times over an outdoor campfire in the morning involved bringing a pot of water to a fast boil, then tossing in about one cup of ground coffee into the water. Bottoms up. That's cowboy coffee.
Old September 6th, 2021, 11:38 AM

Norm Nope,

It's a BIG steak. I like mine Pittsburgh Blue, 1 1/2 inches thick 10 minutes per side, slice and serve on a platter with baked tater and salad

I think kopi lua is like cocaine, it's God's way of telling you you've got too much money. I'm convinced most of it is fake, There's some dude over in Indonesia mixing burnt motor oil with Maxwell House and re packaging it to make a fortune off sucker
Old September 6th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Always room for one more

I think I've finally had it with Walmart. Besides the incredibly awful people who go there, which makes me one of them since I go there, their latest thing is to have only one cashier. The line stretches throughout the store. And, she doesn't turn the light on so it looks like there are no cashiers. I know what their game is. To force people to use the self check out so they don't have to pay as many employees. I'm unmoved. I don't work for Walmart and I'm not going to do their job. Unless, of course, they want to pay me what I'd make for overtime, about 79 bucks an hour with a two hour minimum. Then groceries could be quite lucrative. I was in line over 30 minutes. It didn't take that long to shop. I guess I'll have to go to Publix and pay twice as much for things, and the dollar stores for non food things. I'm patently against dollar stores.

Started raining just as I was getting home but now the sun is trying to come out. I still need to go return my neighbor's trailer. Got just a couple things I can take to the other house, that sounds like a good job to round out the afternoon.
Old September 6th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Running On Empty

I enjoy watching some of the crazed "junk" on YouTube on occasion. Recently, I've been watching the Nürburgring Crash, Fails, Wins compilations. I believe Nurburgring is the right spot for Mike to enter many of his classics.

Is the car @ 0.20 (20 seconds) into the lap a Toronado or an El Dorado?

Old September 6th, 2021, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

Most of these people I don't believe know how to drive a car - they evidently have plenty of money though...

Old September 6th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...if you get it from the cart girl ya have to pay...
If the cart girl in a picture you posted last year or a couple years ago is still there...I think I'd gladly pay to get it from her.
Old September 6th, 2021, 03:34 PM

Good evening guys
Enjoyable and productive day. Great weather. I didn't get out early to do more detailing on the car. Didn't get up until 0800, which I never do. All that playing with the grandkids must have wore me out more than I realized. Did do my usual workout and then went out and mowed. Then I went out and rode my motorcycle for about 3-hours, perfect day for riding, there were alot of bikes out.

I grilled New York Strips for dinner, and the wife made baked potatoes, salad,, and homemade yeast rolls to go with. The steaks weren't as spectacular as Jame's Prime Rib, but they sure were tasty. Finished the meal off with a big piece of cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.

Looks like we're looking at a beautiful week of weather, low 80's and no significant chance of rain through next Sunday. Hope everyone had a relaxing day and has a nice evening!
Old September 6th, 2021, 03:56 PM

Chris, It's NOT prime rib, It's nothing but a BIG Thick bone in ribeye

Ya cook it like a steak and slice it

Old September 6th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

James - That's a good looking Pittsburgh Blue. The spud looks delicious. I haven't eaten a baked spud in a long time - I ain't right in the head.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:02 PM
Running On Empty

The ONLY difference between a rib eye & a prime rib is the MANNER of cooking the primal cut - they are both taken from the exact same section of the animal.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo that looks absolutely delectable. What would that have cost in the restaurant?

Norm that's an Eldorado in the video. Not sure of the year, I'm not up on my Eldorado's. I'd say 77 or 78. The earliest it could be is a 75. When I lived up home, and before snooty neighbors petitioned the track out of existence, my friends and I would go up to a 1/2 mile dirt track for crashem up derbies. Sometimes they'd have the powder puff derbies where women were the drivers. There was this one chick named Darlene who drove a Toronado. She didn't always win but she was never taken out. Norm you might have heard of it, Santa Fe Speedway in (I believe) Willow Springs. Like most tracks, it was there long before the neighbors, but once there they complained of the noise and the track ceased.

Everything is cleaned up and I'm ready for work. All's I have to do is make a sandwich in the morning and off I go. Early for overtime, but I'm going to see about getting a couple days off at the end of the week. A two day workweek sounds okay to me.

Chris the car will be there to clean another day. A bike ride sounds nice. I used to enjoy going off with my friends even though I wasn't real good at riding. Lots of concentrating that's for sure.

So have a good night everyone.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Thanks for identifying the Eldorado. And, absolutely I not only know the Santa Fe Speedway, but I have attended events there.

I think my point regarding prime rib & rib eye may be a little "too" persnickety. I used to go round & round with my Uncles & brothers regarding the difference between the two. If all you're going by is the cut & the manner of cooking the meat, then the name is immaterial, IMO. Both a rib eye and a prime rib are the exact same pieces of primal meat. Cut it in sections, in slices, in chunks - it's the same exact same piece of meat. Whether you choose to char it (Pittsburgh Blue) or slow cook it - it's the exact same piece of meat as far as I am concerned.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:24 PM

Norm, I agree, IMHO it's a matter of thickness if it's a roast [to be slice] or a steak

If I had cooked this 'Steak" for as long as a roast, it would have been well over done

Mike, I'm not sure but close to $150.00 but it would easily feed four
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:27 PM
Running On Empty

James - Agree.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:40 PM

I wonder if size has anything to do with it. A steak is for an individual, whereas a roast is for multiples. Probably derived from the above point on sliced versus served whole.
Old September 6th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

I made an improvement over last nights wild blueberry citrus muffin loaf preparation for serving - subtle, but different.

Old September 6th, 2021, 05:27 PM

Whew, This vacationing is exhausting! Tonight we are in South Johnstown, RI. Last night was Lebanon, NH. Drove a little thru Vermont and saw some old historic buildings, Today went to Plymouth, Mass. and saw what is supposedly to be Plymouth Rock, and the Mayflower II. For some reason when I was in grade school, I actually paid attention to the history lesson about the pilgrims. I was and still am fascinated by it. So for me I had to see Plymouth Rock. Anyway the flooding hasn't affected the vacation yet, haven't seen any indication of it. Tomarow we plan to go west thru RI and Conneticut then north east thru NY and prolly say another night in NY or Ohio, then home.
Old September 6th, 2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, It's NOT prime rib, It's nothing but a BIG Thick bone in ribeye

Ya cook it like a steak and slice it

James - Unless my butchering knowledge has left me, Prime Rib and a bone in Ribeye are the same cut, the only difference is in the way you're preparing it correct???
Sorry, continuing to read thru the rest of the posts I now see Norm had already made this point.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 6th, 2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old September 7th, 2021, 05:24 AM

Raining like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock

Mike, I know how ya feel, I called today to go pick up the JD tractor, And they already sold it

Old September 7th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Running On Empty

James - Major bummer. You might consider counting the total # of dimples on each of several ProV1 golf ***** while you consider what to do next. Anything <388 demand a refund.