The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Way to go! Everything you’re doing speaks volumes about your love & affection to your Mom.
Old March 26th, 2022, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

James - Paige is nothing more than a mindless **** Waffle.
Old March 26th, 2022, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Paige is nothing more than a mindless **** Waffle.
Well that sounds about right. What more would you want?
Old March 27th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - GLWS of the VC. M38A1 arrived safely?
Old March 27th, 2022, 08:33 AM

Jim - GLWS of the VC. M38A1 arrived safely?

On the way. should be here tomorrow
Old March 27th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

Finished installation of the rebuilt/refinished double-hung window - operates easily, like a greased piglet. Onto R&R of the F-250 driver side electric window SW (fingers crossed).
Old March 27th, 2022, 10:09 AM
GCH

Hi Glenn - Thanks. How are things in your area of the world? Still a month away from the beginning of spring?
Hi Norm , we have had a couple of weeks with fine sunny weather now and the temp are better. They have forecast a little snow
next week so we´ll se But bikes and us cars are coming out of their garages so thats nice. Have replaced seals in my GMC steering
gear incoming shaft who has leaked more and more but now i hope this is ok.Waiting for a new chain to the Honda dirtbike so i can
start the bike.Maybe the chainsaw part comes next week so i should try to start up this Have checked my eye and it was something
they called pinguecula and was no problem with my sight , everything was fine with my eyes.
Old March 27th, 2022, 10:23 AM
Running On Empty

Defective switch replaced. Life is good. I'm firing on all cylinders today.
Old March 27th, 2022, 10:36 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
Hi Norm , we have had a couple of weeks with fine sunny weather now and the temp are better. They have forecast a little snow
next week so we´ll se But bikes and us cars are coming out of their garages so thats nice. Have replaced seals in my GMC steering
gear incoming shaft who has leaked more and more but now i hope this is ok.Waiting for a new chain to the Honda dirtbike so i can
start the bike.Maybe the chainsaw part comes next week so i should try to start up this Have checked my eye and it was something
they called pinguecula and was no problem with my sight , everything was fine with my eyes.
HI Glenn - I'm happy to hear it was nothing more than pinguecula. I think steroid drops for a little while then some daily eye lubrication drops is all that's needed? So, you did order the part for the chainsaw and that's working out? Hopefully it arrives soon & will resolve your issue. I broke a valve keeper off a Honda dirt bike many, many years ago - sometime in the 1960's. That bike still ran without the valve keeper long enough for me to get it home to replace the valve keeper upon which I also installed a new chain. I've replaced the chain on my 2010 Indian once about 5 years ago simply because it was getting a little stretched. I upgraded the standard manual chain tensioner to an automatic chain tensioner at the same time. That was an added benefit.

On another note, it was my intention/hope to R&R my PS gear box this past winter since I'm pretty certain the interior worm gear has worn down and I can't tighten the steering any longer. Then, the clothes dryer went belly-up on me, then several other items required repair or whatever & the steering gearbox still needs to be replaced. It works OK, but it needs a new gear box. Now that spring is here, I'm not so certain it's going to see a new gear box this summer as spring brings on a new set of home maintenance items and the convertible is fine. Never a dull moment with maintenance items.
Old March 27th, 2022, 02:48 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Beautiful, a tad chilly but my Mom keeps the house so hot it feels nice to be outside. Next rain is Thursday. I need to start mowing this week.

So my sister and her husband have left. It was just Mom and me this afternoon, we really didn't do anything but sit and talk. My sister was very helpful but she can be a bit much. It was nice to just sit and relax for a change, after three days of intense.

Jamesbo I probably asked you this before, did you buy the VC the way it looks or did you paint the Trophy Blue in place of the woodgrain? I know TB is your favorite.

Thanks Norm. I was not a problem child growing up but I could get a little expensive. This is a good way to give back for a good childhood. And I'm thankful that I'm able to help her out.

Well back to work tomorrow. There's plenty around here that needs catching up, as well as getting started on. When it was just me I could do or not do whatever. Now that someone is dependent on me I have to be responsible. What fun is that. But for this evening, Tiger and I are going to relax with some popcorn and a movie before it's bedtime.

Peace

Old March 27th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Mike, that's the color it came from with

BTW I just discovered I have and extra

1] VC spoiler [rear window deflector]
2] Rear Storage compartment prop rod

Do you need/want either?
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:13 PM

It works OK, but it needs a new gear box. Now that spring is here, I'm not so certain it's going to see a new gear box this summer as spring brings on a new set of home maintenance items and the convertible is fine. Never a dull moment with maintenance items.
Norm - For clarification, the failing PS gear box is on your truck, since you said "the convertible is fine", is that correct? Suggestion, don't compromise your safety for convenience. We'd all hate to see anything happen to ya!
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - The worn worm gear is on the convertible gear box.
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:38 PM

Time to install a fast ratio gear box.
I definitely need one of those.
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

I haven't completely made up my mind on it, as yet. I really need to sit-down, re-read the various threads and make a decision. I don't believe it's a big deal - I've installed gear boxes on other vehicles, I'd be surprised if this is much of a to-do, but I just haven't sat down to do my homework. I hate to engage anyone w/o fully having prepared myself for a discussion but it sounds like you (Kenneth) installed a fast ratio?

EDIT: For some reason in my mind (at least) I was thinking the Lare's (?) was a drop-in replacement?
Old March 27th, 2022, 04:43 PM

No, I still have the original.

Just today driving through a curve at 60 or so I was thinking I really need a quick ratio steering box.
Old March 27th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I don't know how long I'm going to last before I fall into the prone position for sleep; but, a couple things.
I purchased a new rag-joint (steering coupler) ~5 months ago from a CO member who purchased the incorrect one for his own gear box swap. The Coupler 201 is manufactured by Lares & is correct for Oldsmobile applications 1959-1979. Now, I am assuming my gear box is the original, it looks original, it is four bolt but; that itself says nothing about the gear box itself - again, I'm assuming it's original but I honestly don't know if the original is a fast ratio, correct? So, as I move forward with this I want to understand this well enough to make an informed decision. A "driven" gear is the spur (ring) larger gear, & the "drive" gear is the pinion gear (smaller), correct? So, if I have a ring gear w/ 41 teeth & a pinion gear w/ 11 teeth I have a gear ratio of 3.73:1. I think that's correct, but that's for a differential, I suspect the same holds true for a steering gear box, right?

What I can't get my head around (yet) is the notion of a fast ratio gear box. What makes it a fast ratio? I'll look into determining if I can find it, what a standard PS gear box ratio is for my 71 CS convertible, but then I have to get my head around what the ratio would be if it's going to be a fast ratio gear box compared to whatever the standard ratio gear box is & how it may make an improvement. I just can't get my head around the numbers.
Old March 27th, 2022, 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

OK So, I haven't found gear ratios, yet. But, there are two Lares available for my 71 CS - standard ratio (which doesn't state the ratio) and a fast ratio which they state is fast 10:1 ratio. Every single other item they list is the same, therefore the only delta is evidently the number of teeth on each gear you suspect? I have to find a diagram of a PS gear box to get my hear around which gear is which in there.

The fast ratio has a lock-to-lock of 2.5-3.0 turns; the standard ratio has a lock-to-lock of 4.0 turns.

So.............is the slower ratio going to have a ratio that is less than 10:1? I have to draw this stuff out to see it in action - just takes me some time.
Old March 27th, 2022, 06:32 PM
Running On Empty

Well, my tiny brain has had enough for today. I found a diagram of the internals of the PS gear box (worm gear and pitman), I'm just too tired to think clearly to convince myself I know what I'm trying to accomplish. Better to wait until I have a more rested noggin.
Old March 27th, 2022, 11:22 PM
GCH

HI Glenn - I'm happy to hear it was nothing more than pinguecula. I think steroid drops for a little while then some daily eye lubrication drops is all that's needed? So, you did order the part for the chainsaw and that's working out? Hopefully it arrives soon & will resolve your issue. I broke a valve keeper off a Honda dirt bike many, many years ago - sometime in the 1960's. That bike still ran without the valve keeper long enough for me to get it home to replace the valve keeper upon which I also installed a new chain. I've replaced the chain on my 2010 Indian once about 5 years ago simply because it was getting a little stretched. I upgraded the standard manual chain tensioner to an automatic chain tensioner at the same time. That was an added benefit.

On another note, it was my intention/hope to R&R my PS gear box this past winter since I'm pretty certain the interior worm gear has worn down and I can't tighten the steering any longer. Then, the clothes dryer went belly-up on me, then several other items required repair or whatever & the steering gearbox still needs to be replaced. It works OK, but it needs a new gear box. Now that spring is here, I'm not so certain it's going to see a new gear box this summer as spring brings on a new set of home maintenance items and the convertible is fine. Never a dull moment with maintenance items.
Hi first i belived i got some s&it from the woods in my eye so i tried eye wash several times and then i saw the pinguecula .
Got some eyedrops with lubrication but have not need to used it yet , but it,s good to have it home in case.
Yes i ordered the chainsaw part as soon as mr Preston change the shipping on Ebay so it was possible for internationall
buyers so i hope this part arrives soon. I used this chainsaw before my Huskvarna 445 and it has some a value for me ,
sadly the saw fell on some rocks so i have replaced the oil/gas tank but found this here .

My Honda chain was stretched also and sprockets worn , an automatic chain tensioner must been a nice upgrade.
Yes there a lot things in the spring to be done and we can se in the lawn that the badgers are still alive.
Never a dull moment with maintenance items, +1
Old March 28th, 2022, 03:25 AM

--Norm, I had Chip rebuild my 71 steering box and love it. I had a 72 Cutlass parts car so I took the gear box off that and sent to him, that way no down time and I could also keep the original box. He offers a 12 to 1 fast ratio that I think (gears- internal stuff- used my steering box) was for the early 90's Z28's and Trans Am's. Anyway it is a great improvement. I did have a small leak out of the pitman shaft seal and I sent it back to him and he took care of it no charge. This was done 10-12 years ago. I can find the receipt and get his contact info if you need it- seems like he is in the central states...
--Chris, anymore news on your wife? Have you given any more thought about going to the Nats?
--Jim, good luck with sale of the Vista. I like that car.
``My wife is doing really good, if only she could get over the stomach problems, all the medications causing bad tummy.
Old March 28th, 2022, 03:38 AM

Greg, Tanks

Well the carrier went from pick up Jeep yesterday at !:00 to 8::00 to tomorrow. So it ain't coming today. Why does this not surprise me?

Norm, I put a quick ration steering box in my drop top 20 years ago. {the Vista doesn't have one] and it's like night and day or maybe I should say boat and Porsche

For some of you newer guys [ Mike may remember] Here's the story on the Vista Cruiser. I bought it from a guy in California "Thinking [ obviously incorrectly] That my wife could drive it to and from work and it could hold so value regardless of milage. Sooooooooooooooo, Got it had it repainted new steering components etc. Ready to Rally so to speak. Well she drove it for maybe 2 weeks and didn't like the gas milage; Soooooooooooooo, I bought a 350 to replace the 455.The 350 is still sitting on an engine stand in my garage in the mountains. She decided she wanted a Jag POS sedan . Which lasted maybe a year. I think she's had 4 cars since the Vista went to retire in the mountains. In the last 2 years, I've maybe put 200 miles on it. I drive it around the neighborhood just to keep the seals lubricated but it just isn't driven

The last time I drove it any distance was to replace the 30 year old tires on it [Still had goo tread but too may years of sitting]

Since then I have let her buy whatever she wants I'm out of the wife car buying game

I just hate to see a Unique car just sit Maybe someone will want it maybe not. "We'll see"
Old March 28th, 2022, 03:55 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn - I have the Huskvarna 445, you probably saw it on my YouTube channel. Good chainsaw.
Greg - I'll keep your offer for Chip's contact information in mind. Thanks for your input.

I stayed up later than expected because I found an excellent YouTube video on a guy who rebuilt his Saginaw 800 gear box - which, I believe, is the OEM original model in my 71 CS. Now I'm torn w/ the notion of rebuilding it. Evidently they sell rebuild kits. I guess I'm not completely convinced the worm gear is worn. I'll quit with my dribble talking about it until I actually make a decision. I may remove it and bench check it real well before I make a decision.
Old March 28th, 2022, 04:02 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Thanks for your input on the steering gear box.

Obviously I'm mixed on what to do, but I do think I'll pull the gear box and do a bench test before I make a decision. Evidently the Saginaw is also available in a quick ratio, but not the same ratio as the Lares & perhaps others. The Saginaw is available as:
  • Quick ratio 14:1 box, 3 - 3.5 turns
  • Standard ratio 16:1 box, 4 - 4.25 turns
I need to do more research and bench test what I have.

Bummer regarding the M38A1 delivery....ugh.
Old March 28th, 2022, 04:07 AM
Running On Empty

Extremely dry (30% humidity) weather has moved into the area w/ temperatures dipping into the lower 40s - not much improvement before tee-time @ 11:11am; but bright sunshine all day. Temperatures tonight down into the 30s - just enough to let you know some winter grip remains.
Old March 28th, 2022, 04:55 AM
Always room for one more

Monday morning at Big D.

There's a lull in the activity so I got up to get a snack. Don't think we'll see any problems today, well, on this end anyway.

Jamesbo maybe the new owner will want those parts. Otherwise, put them in the pile. My wagon has a rack but no deflector. I find that odd. I remember the Vista story. I think you should use it in the cemetery. It has new tires, give the pickup a rest. I think Super Model would like the new Vette.

Norm I read once in a while people use the Grand Cherokee steering box. I don't know if it's for quick steering or just a better box than the Saginaw one. I never thought much about quick steering driving my cars but I guess if they had it I'd drive like it was a sports car. Heck I do that anyway. The Corvair group likes Flaming River steering stuff. Might see if they have Cutlass stuff.

So my Mom got her a new phone this weekend and she is in a giant learning curve. She calls me before 5 this morning but then hangs up. So I call her right back, like 3 times, and then she says she couldn't figure out how to answer, but thanks for calling. I said, you called me. Oy.

Okay I got some work. People seem to be in a good mood around here this morning. Rather calm for a Monday. I'll take it.

Old March 28th, 2022, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
-
--Chris, anymore news on your wife? Have you given any more thought about going to the Nats?
--Jim, good luck with sale of the Vista. I like that car.
``My wife is doing really good, if only she could get over the stomach problems, all the medications causing bad tummy.
Greg - I'm sorry your wife is suffering with stomach issues because of her medications. We'll keep her in our prayers and hope it settles down soon. I'm glad that other than the stomach issues that she is doing well!

My wife is doing well. She is getting up and down much better, and at this point I'm trying to keep her from trying to do too much, too soon. She's used to being very active, and it's tough for her to just sit. We'll both feel much better after we get the results of her biopsies from the surgeries back, hopefully telling us they "got it all"!

I have purposely been putting off talking with my wife about possibly going to the Nats until we hear the results of her biopsies, which I'm assuming we'll be told during her 1st re-check on April 6th.
Old March 28th, 2022, 08:34 AM

Jim - Good background info on the VC. It's a very nice looking VC, good luck with the sale, I'm sure there's an Old's guy out there that'll snap it up.
Old March 28th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

I'm having a field day w/ various maintenance items. I awoke this morning, made coffee, sitting in my office at the computer thinking it's getting pretty cold in here. I find the thermostat is off, the outside home service panel breaker for the combination heat pump is tripped. I reset the breaker, it tries to start & the breaker goes off again. I call my friend, thankfully he's my friend (Josh) and his Dad owns the HVAC business. Suspects the capacitor (which he replaced on his last yearly maintenance call in the fall) - I had an extra in the man-cave. Changed out the capacitor - breaker still tripping. Call Josh, check ohms of a couple things, and grounding. I have a tee-time of 11:00AM and it's 9:30AM I need to leave @ 10:00AM. Josh is going to head over while I'm playing golf for a look-see. Talk to Josh after golf, appears the compressor is grounding or has grounded out. Appears compressor is faulty, most likely requires a new compressor. I can have heat (in EMER MODE), but no AC until the issue is resolved - no biggie. Hell, I could camp out in my home if there was no heat - a stove provides some heat and I have plenty of clothing, sleeping bags & blankets - it's not "THE END". When will the torture stop w/ this endless routine of home maintenance I've been plagued with this past winter? Jiminy crickets.
Old March 28th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Norm , I hate ta brake it to ya, But "It's the JOY of homeownership. I wake up every day to the Super model telling me what "We" need to do"
Old March 28th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Jim, it really is a joy...I'm full of joy. There's much to be thankful for having a Super Model as your partner.
Old March 28th, 2022, 02:28 PM

Jim, it really is a joy...I'm full of joy. There's much to be thankful for having a Super Model as your partner.

I can send her over to give you some direction in your chores
Old March 28th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Yah, and Jeremiah was a bullfrog, JOY to you and me!
Old March 28th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Always room for one more

Finally in for the evening. Had to go to the credit union after work, got home just before 4. I had talked to my Mom during the day and neither one of us had any food for dinner so I said I'd come over and we'd go get something. I had to collect the trash anyway for tomorrow. Finished dinner then went to Publix for a few breakfast things. Got home after 8 and Tiger still needed his evening meal. I'm really too full to sleep but I'm tired.

Once again I was the star player at work. Two of the clowns were signing and they stopped at 33, because that was their number. The guy across from me couldn't sign wheels he'd signed in inspection last week, so I got some of his. So along with my 33 I signed off a total of 45. Wasn't a bad day, things remained smooth and everyone seemed to be on their game. A rarity. I needed a new company ID so I went to get it at lunch. Glad that's done.

Jamesbo you gonna save that 350 as a spare for the drop top? Maybe Donny could build it up for you in his spare time.

Okay I'm off. Tiger will want to go out early tonight so might as well get to bed as soon as I can. I gotta get those steps built off the back porch. What if I got a 10x10 square of Astro Turf for the back porch and let him go out there. I could just hose it off. Hm.

Old March 28th, 2022, 06:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
So my Mom got her a new phone this weekend and she is in a giant learning curve. She calls me before 5 this morning but then hangs up. So I call her right back, like 3 times, and then she says she couldn't figure out how to answer, but thanks for calling. I said, you called me. Oy.
(Before Mom passed away) I'm residing in Milwaukee, WI, Mom lives 3 hours North of me (North of Green Bay, WI). Someone is knocking at my door at 7:00AM, open the door it's a policeman. Are you "Norman Geltz?" "Is everything OK here." Me: "Hmmm, why wouldn't it be OK?" Policeman: "Well, we received a call from Kathleen Geltz (Mom) who is concerned her son was doing drugs and was "out of it". Me: "Say what?"

So, he's talking to my Mom on his phone, telling her everything is just fine & dandy. He leaves. I call my Mom back - I wasn't so much a happy camper at this point. Turns out she incorrectly dialed my phone number on her new cell phone. "Someone" answered the phone and she was certain they were on drugs, out of their mind, etc. - barely coherent, off in another world, etc. She thought me, her son, had gone off the deep end and was cuckoo for cocoa puffs on drugs. She called this person two more times and got the same non-response from what she perceived as a "druggie". I asked what number she called, it wasn't my number. I asked why she called the same number two more times - she simply hit "REDIAL" - that learning curve!
Old March 29th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Running On Empty

Heat pump compressors are not inexpensive...Not sure how soon they'll perform the R&R. Thankfully the weather is in my favor.
Old March 29th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Heat pump compressors are not inexpensive...Not sure how soon they'll perform the R&R. Thankfully the weather is in my favor.
Norm - That sucks, hope they get to you soon before it warms up too much! I've got the gas fireplace on here today, damn chilly and damp out.
Old March 29th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Running On Empty

I'm one of "those types"...I rarely use the AC during April & May; instead, I leave every window in the house open. April, May & June are my least energy expense months; July & August are my highest energy expense months. Right now it is as dry as a bone w/ a paltry 25% humidity - that's extremely low. That will soon change as this ginormous system sweeps across the country from Western Canada/Washington State & meets the warm Southern air moving up from Honduras & Central America. I'm bored to death at the moment but I don't feel like doing anything so I won't - maybe watch the lawn grow.
Old March 29th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Running On Empty

I'm suspecting/hoping Jim is taking delivery of the M38A1 this afternoon...cruising about the property working on his 4-wheel drive shifting while eating a ham sameech.
Old March 29th, 2022, 12:15 PM

Got my "wash station' [read old bird dog pin slab] up and running with frost free hose bib hose reel etc

Washed off tractor and Gator and put them away

Jeep carrier has now moved [once again] from this morning pick up to late this afternoon pick up

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut, need 's still trying to get a full load

When I decide to be a lying POS I'm gonna start carrying cars