The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2022, 04:44 PM

OOOOPs double post....
Old March 5th, 2022, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Guys - It took two minutes to remove the 2" long broken threaded screw. I used a large pair of dykes, grabbed the shank just below the top of the tire treads, rolled the dykes and out it came. It took me three to four minutes to ream the hole with the hand auger/reamer. It took me two minutes to lace a 6" plug into the plug awl, coated the plug w/ some fresh rubber cement then another three to four minutes to beat/turn the plug & plug awl into the hole below the depth of the treads. It took two minutes to snip the plug above the treads and ~5' to inflate the tire to 45psi. Total job was ~15'.
Old March 5th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Always room for one more

Fruitful day. Went through several closets, packed many boxes of fragile things, got everything in the dogmobile with little room to spare. My Mom and sister were astounded. I said, remember I used to do this for a living. No one should ever doubt my packing abilities.

Norm I used to drive a Suburban every day and I swear the tires on that guy were screw magnets. I'd have a couple screws or rivets or nails a month, presumably from the parking lot at work. Although, I haven't picked up anything in the tires for years. They all got plugged by a buddy of mine who had all that stuff.

Well I'm beat. Leaving in the morning so when I get home I can unload all this stuff, then go to the grocery store, then hopefully get to bed early. Without Tiger I won't have to get up in the middle of the night. I'll pick him up after work on Monday.

Old March 6th, 2022, 10:35 AM

Mike,

Sorry I can't keep up. I may need a program to keep up with who's on 1st

Where's Mom moving to?
Old March 6th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Running On Empty

James - Mike's Mom is moving into Mike's current home (the one Mike is moving out of); albeit, Mike's old home. Therefore, Mike won't be selling his current (old home). Mike is still moving into the new home he just purchased.
Old March 6th, 2022, 10:45 AM

Tanks Norm

Looks like Mike is finishing moving himself starting moving his mom.

I'm trying to keep all my new equipment in top shape and wash it off after every use. If I wash off a muddy tractor again in my bride's driveway, I'm going to be singing soprano. Behind the tractor shed is a concrete dog pin were I used to keep my pointers.The plan de jour is to use the pad as a wash station For some reason, the frost free hose bib isn't working any more. I'm was gonna run a few water line this week but it looks like rain

Note to self Don't get tractor muddy
Old March 6th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Wow what a weekend. Whirlwind trip to the panhandle and back, much moving of boxes while there. I had the dogmobile slam packed with stuff for the return trip. The rest will be movers.

Norm is absolutely spot on. When I first suggested Mom come here, I got the requisite martyr bit. Oh I'd be underfoot. Oh you don't want me there interrupting your life. Ad nauseum. When that was all over and she thought it was a good idea, she said, I've wanted to do this for a long time. Great. I don't know why she didn't say anything years ago. Could have alleviated a lot of grief.

Over the weekend I saw my 28th anniversary with Delta. Actually it was Friday. I believe March 4, 1994, was also a Friday. Whoa, seems like an eternity.

Jamesbo a friend of mine wanted to borrow my tractor a couple months after I had bought it. I think it had 1.5 hours on it. I said, sure. A little brazen that he'd ask to use it before I had used it, but what the heck. He brought it back with 5 hours on it, every inch of it scratched up, and the rubber caps for the hydraulic quick disconnects broken off. He did fill if full of fuel.

Well I'm beat. Gonna hit the sack early. Tiger is not here, which I don't care for, but I will take advantage of that and sleep undisturbed tonight. I usually keep waking up thinking, where's Tiger? I'll pick him up tomorrow after work. He'll have had a bath and his nails done and his ears cleaned.

Peace

Old March 6th, 2022, 05:43 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - You're a good person & a wonderful son. Kudos.
I am well beyond allowing anyone, including friends, to borrow my equipment/tools. Phuque 'em.
Old March 6th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Running On Empty

Major milestone on the (basically) new dash wiring harness I assembled upgrading/installing new Packard 56 Series terminals/connectors - everything works flawlessly. Duly impressed. And, the truck tire is holding air wonderfully.

Regarding the new (to me) refurbished OEM dash/instrument panel clock. I installed the clock and it works excellently. The new wiring harness pigtail (image below) did not come w/ any lamps, that's fine. I found (in my bag of bulbs) one bulb I thought was an exact match for one of the sockets. So, I plugged in the one lamp, and hooked up my instrument panel (gray) feed to the new pigtail and it blew the instrument lamp fuse in the fuse box. Hmmmmm, I suspect it isn't the correct bulb. In the last couple weeks I was researching the lamps/bulbs for this two bulb pigtail and I was wondering how in the hell do they get ~$12 for one light bulb? Maybe now I know - at least, I hope I know. Evidently those bulbs are damn special. Normally a bulb of that size would sell for ~$2-$3 tops. Why $12 for one light bulb? Perhaps it's the manner of how it's assembled - I can't figure out why, but I'll get to the bottom of it for sure. So, now I'll be running down the OEM Part # & doing some cross referencing to ensure if I'm going to spend ~$25 for two light bulbs they damn sure better be the correct bulbs and they had better work. A minor annoyance is all, but one that puzzles me.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 6th, 2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old March 6th, 2022, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Major milestone on the (basically) new dash wiring harness I assembled upgrading/installing new Packard 56 Series terminals/connectors - everything works flawlessly. Duly impressed. And, the truck tire is holding air wonderfully.

Regarding the new (to me) refurbished OEM dash/instrument panel clock. I installed the clock and it works excellently.
Norm - Excellent work! Good luck finding the correct bulbs!
Old March 6th, 2022, 07:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Excellent work! Good luck finding the correct bulbs!
Thanks. The original bulb part # appears to be #1445 - which, is an ordinary mini-bulb. I can't even find the W216 bulb I used to test - it must have come from some ancient rocket ship. It most likely fell off the ship of Emperor Ming the Merciless, Emperor of planet Mongo.

Old March 6th, 2022, 07:25 PM

Thanks. The original bulb part # appears to be #1445 - which, is an ordinary mini-bulb. I can't even find the W216 bulb I used to test - it must have come from some ancient rocket ship. It most likely fell off the ship of Emperor Ming the Merciless, Emperor of planet Mongo.

Boy, that brings back a funny memory! Sneaking into the supposedly X-rated movie Flesh Gordon with some buddies in High School. I don't think it would have even been an R-rated movie today!
Old March 6th, 2022, 07:31 PM

Better him than the Galactic Overlord.
Old March 6th, 2022, 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

Flesh Gordon was tame by any of today's standards, but two-piece bathing suits were considered risque in the 1950s.

I'll say this though, my Dad came home from WWII (U.S. Navy) with a couple decks of regular playing cards with black & white pictures of fully nude women on them. I loved looking at those playing cards.
Old March 7th, 2022, 01:22 AM

Mike,

I may loan someone a hammer but never a tractor or a chainsaw. I have in the past and every time I have I've regretted it. I'm amazed how many people can put a chain on a chainsaw backwards. I once loaned a bushhog to a guy that ran over a steel bed spring

Norm, My dad had Parts Pups in his sock drawer. Recently a CO member sent me a few Like you said, Mild by todays standards when you can go on line and see your favorite Golfer [insert sarcasm] ' Paige "swallowing a big one
Old March 7th, 2022, 02:45 AM

Norm, I don't remember any of the bulbs being anything unusual or weird in the Cutlass. Last time when I had the 56 F100 dash apart I bought the LED equivalents for all the dash lights. They were cheap China stuff and sucked. So then I asked my friend who worked at O'Reillys and he ordered me a box of 10 correct bulbs in a box for cheap, that seemed like the way to go, if you can get someone to lift a finger and care enough to help you....I bought a "Quartz" clock years ago on Ebay that the guy put a motor out of a middle 80's Buick Lesabre clock in a 70-72 Cutlass clock. Love that thing , works great ever since, looks and works just like original.
Old March 7th, 2022, 12:44 PM

Better get the wood on the porch, it's fix;in to come up a cloud
Old March 7th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...it's fix;in to come up a cloud
Stormy Daniels?
Old March 7th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

The cloud has come up and so has the wind. Was nice all day until I got home. Just went to get Tiger. Got in just in time.

So Tiger had a good weekend. He had his bath today and he let the girl clean out his ears but wasn't keen on getting his nails trimmed. We'll try it again in a few months. I'm glad he's home.

Not a bad day for a Monday. Work was okay. Don't see me getting a lot done around the house this week. A few things need to be done and that will preclude me from painting. What a shame. Although, the more painting that needs to be done the louder my sister will yap about paying someone to do it. Uh uh.

Norm the dash lights in my 70, as well as anything I have from the 70s and 80s and 90s have all been the blade-type 194 bulb. They are in the quarter turn sockets that go in the back of the cluster/gauge. Never seen a bulb in a pigtail on one of these cars. If that is indeed what you need then it should have a note telling you which bulb you need. Odd.

Time to wind down and get ready for work tomorrow. One station says rain ends tonight, one station says rain all week. The Weather Channel says click here for up to the minute weather. Heck I can stick my head out the window for that.

Peace

Old March 7th, 2022, 03:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm the dash lights in my 70, as well as anything I have from the 70s and 80s and 90s have all been the blade-type 194 bulb. They are in the quarter turn sockets that go in the back of the cluster/gauge. Never seen a bulb in a pigtail on one of these cars. If that is indeed what you need then it should have a note telling you which bulb you need. Odd.
Mike - The two sockets/bulbs mount to the inside of the clock. I can attest it is not a 194. It is a single contact dome lens bulb. I can't recall the exact bulb base nomenclature, but it's not a blade - it's something like SAxyx blah, blah, blah style. It more or less looks like the large type single contact dome lens bulbs in the rear armrests of my convertible - except these are "miniatures".
Old March 7th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

Found it >>> #1445 Miniature Bulb Ba9S Base

I picked up a couple @ AutoZone this morning. I'm too tired to do anything with them tonight. I need something to do tomorrow.

Old March 8th, 2022, 11:58 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

It was cloudy and cold all day and decided to start pouring rain when it was time to leave work. It isn't raining at home now but I expect it will start up shortly. Work seemed slow today. The lead wasn't there, because he didn't sleep well last night. Man that excuse gets old. His excuse for not sleeping well is no longer valid.

Think I'll pay some bills this afternoon and go mail them. I forgot that I had turned the furnace off when I was gone, it's been off 4 days. That should ease up on the gas bill. I keep the house around 66 and the bill was $287. Absurd.

I'm trying to get my Mom to pick a color to paint the living room. She said she doesn't care. I said you don't want me to pick. She said what would you pick? I said, black. Actually I'm thinking Dusk Pearl, like on a 57 Chevy.

Tiger needs a snack before we do anything.

Peace

Old March 8th, 2022, 01:33 PM

Watching $hit float around in the yard
Old March 8th, 2022, 01:42 PM

Dang, Mike your gas bill is high, I keep my house at 70° when I'm home, and 67° at night. My current bill is $124.00. Of course I don't know how big your house is either.
Septic tank problem or rain problem?
Old March 8th, 2022, 01:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
You might consider a new drain field or having your septic pumped.
Old March 8th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Dang, Mike your gas bill is high, I keep my house at 70° when I'm home, and 67° at night. My current bill is $124.00. Of course I don't know how big your house is either. Septic tank problem or rain problem?

rain
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:08 PM

Norm, I have a problem that you might be of help with. I typed up a letter in Word, then saved it to documents, It ain't there, nor in downloads or my pictures files. Now, before I saved it or tried, I tried to print it but nothing happened, as if the computer and printer wern't communicating. I unplugged the printer, and then plugged it back in, no difference. I then re-typed the letter in an email and sent it to myself, thinking that I could do an end around on the computer, and print it from the email. Well, it wouldn't print from the email either. Any suggestions?
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Black is about the absolute worst color you could paint any room - but you're most likely being funny. Are you going to install a black light and put up some Led Zeppelin & Jimmi Hendrix posters? You want a paint which enlarges the rooms appearance, not a dark color which will make the room appear smaller and enclosed (like black or a dark color). A good color for a living room is a light tan. Get a paint finish you can easily clean/wash/wipe-off.
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, I have a problem that you might be of help with. I typed up a letter in Word, then saved it to documents, It ain't there, nor in downloads or my pictures files. Now, before I saved it or tried, I tried to print it but nothing happened, as if the computer and printer wern't communicating. I unplugged the printer, and then plugged it back in, no difference. I then re-typed the letter in an email and sent it to myself, thinking that I could do an end around on the computer, and print it from the email. Well, it wouldn't print from the email either. Any suggestions?
Dan - First, can you find the document? You most likely fat-fingered the save location. Go to "Search" (Files/Folders), type in the name of the document if you saved it by a name (that's one way to find a document you know the name of). Second bet is to open the "File Explorer", the last document saved will appear at the top of the list (if you saved it). You can right-click on the name of that document, and go to "Properties" of that document and it will tell you where you saved the document. The other possibility is to open "Word", then click on "Open", the last Word document you saved should appear at the top of the list.
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - BTW, a Word document will not save to the Pictures folder because it does not contain an image file extension e.g. .jpeg, .jpg, .png, etc. Because it's a Word document (.doc or .docx) it will save to the Documents folder.
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:26 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - If you typed up the same information inside of an e-mail (IOW, not a Word document), but you actually typed the information (text) "inside" of an e-mail, you would have to (1) print the entire e-mail (which you can do) or (2) you'd have to copy the text inside the e-mail and paste it into another blank Word document, or somewhere else (i.e. Notepad) then again print the Word (or Notepad) document.

Do you think at this point the issue is not Word but possibly the printer? I'm certain I could easily address the issue for you. What OS are you running (Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11), etc. ?
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:29 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - BTW, a Word document will not save to the Pictures folder because it does not contain an image file extension e.g. .jpeg, .jpg, .png, etc. Because it's a Word document (.doc or .docx) it will save to the Documents folder.
Sorry, I kind of repeated what you already knew. Yeah, by default it should have gone into the Documents folder. Try the other manners of locating it which I described above "File Explorer" and/or open "Word" then click to Open file..the last known Word document file you saved will appear at the top of the list (or, you can try "Search" from the Windows menu).
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Running On Empty

I have to sneak out for a minute, but I'll be back.......if you need further assistance I can address it for you.
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:38 PM

Thanks, Norm. I went back to Word, and quickly found it there. I then clicked on the print tab, where it gave me a couple of choices, the first being what i normally would do, select the device that I wanted to print from. I ignored it this time, and went with door #2, which was a "quick print without making any change to the document", and tried that, it worked. Still befuddled as to why it wouldn't print from device, not from my email.
Old March 8th, 2022, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Two things you might consider, but first a disclaimer of sorts. Not every end-user's Print feature(s) appearance(s) will be the same. Several reasons are different manufacturer's software interface(s) are written differently and they are written for various operating systems (Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11, Apple, etc) again not everyone will see the same interface (print feature as you may see). But, with that said:

(1) Consider checking to see if there is a newer printer device driver or newer printer software for your current printer. It may have been some time since you last loaded software/driver updates for your printer - this can cause sporadic nefarious issues; and, (2) run the Windows Update feature - there may exist a newer Windows Update for services running on your computer. Those interfaces for printers (in particular) operate via the COMM channels (e.g. communication ports). Those communication ports are almost always being updated with newer Updates when services and features are updated on the Windows Update site.
Old March 8th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Appliance Man Newsletter

The certified Kitchenaid appliance technician was here carrying a big backpack of tools. Took the control panel interface off the top of the front door, reviewed stuff & said I need a new control panel and most likely a new user control panel interface. He checks and those two items are no longer available (combination of the two if available new are $350). He assures me that's what it needs. OK, I'm good let me write you a check. He says if you want to pay me cash, it's $80 or a check for $100. Hmmmm, it took me all of a millisecond to open my wallet & dig out four twenty dollar bills. I can buy a restored control panel on-line for $127 (the same one no longer available as new). I think that's the way I'll go. I then elect to remove the control panel myself & remove the control circuit board to get the "exact" part # for a used replacement. I remove the wire terminals/connectors and what do we have here I wonder? Oh my, well that looks like a TCO (Thermal Cut Off) with a "RESET" button. Funny the certified Kitchenaid applicance technician never mentioned it to me nor did he attempt to "RESET" this switch. So, of course, I push the "RESET" (trip) button & begin a fastidious examination of the control circuit board which the certified Kitchenaid appliance technician said he saw some corrosion on a particular diode on the board and said he didn't get a "pulse". Hmmmm, that's interesting, I'm looking at the circuit board with a magnifying glass and I can't see one single diode, capacitor, of any other circuit solder point which demonstrates any corrosion. Hmmmmm, let's just put this sucker back together, turn the power back on and see what gives.

SURE AS $HIT the Kitchenaid dishwasher fires right up, and every single cycle works flawlessly - no flashing lights, no aberrations & no issues. Well, whatcha know der Ollie? Hey, I was ready to either (1) buy a restored control panel ($130) or (2) buy a new dishwasher of same type quality ($900). I should open my own damn appliance repair shop - not going to happen!

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 8th, 2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 8th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Appliance Man Newsletter

The certified Kitchenaid appliance technician was here carrying a big backpack of tools. Took the control panel interface off the top of the front door, reviewed stuff & said I need a new control panel and most likely a new user control panel interface. He checks and those two items are no longer available (combination of the two if available new are $350). He assures me that's what it needs. OK, I'm good let me write you a check. He says if you want to pay me cash, it's $80 or a check for $100. Hmmmm, it took me all of a millisecond to open my wallet & dig out four twenty dollar bills. I can buy a restored control panel on-line for $127 (the same one no longer available as new). I think that's the way I'll go. I then elect to remove the control panel myself & remove the control circuit board to get the "exact" part # for a used replacement. I remove the wire terminals/connectors and what do we have here I wonder? Oh my, well that looks like a TCO (Thermal Cut Off) with a "RESET" button. Funny the certified Kitchenaid applicance technician never mentioned it to me nor did he attempt to "RESET" this switch. So, of course, I push the "RESET" (trip) button & begin a fastidious examination of the control circuit board which the certified Kitchenaid appliance technician said he saw some corrosion on a particular diode on the board and said he didn't get a "pulse". Hmmmm, that's interesting, I'm looking at the circuit board with a magnifying glass and I can't see one single diode, capacitor, of any other circuit solder point which demonstrates any corrosion. Hmmmmm, let's just put this sucker back together, turn the power back on and see what gives.

SURE AS $HIT the Kitchenaid dishwasher fires right up, and every single cycle works flawlessly - no flashing lights, no aberrations & no issues. Well, whatcha know der Ollie? Hey, I was ready to either (1) buy a restored control panel ($130) or (2) buy a new dishwasher of same type quality ($900). I should open my own damn appliance repair shop - not going to happen!
Norm - The $100K question being, why the F*** didn't he dissemble the unit enough to notice the RESET button had been tripped? JMO, but so much for being a "certified Kitchenaid appliance technician"! I'd be asking for my money back, which I probably wouldn't get, but hell, if he can't find that, he has no business going on service calls.
Old March 8th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

Automotive Technician Newsletter

1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible
The new (to me) restored OEM clock is buggered up. The second hand rotates great for about five minutes, quits, I reset the time, the second hand rotates for about 7-8 minutes, stop, I reset the clock, the second hand works, repeat, repeat, blah, blah, blah. After all the wiring upgrades the clock is SNAFU. I got in contact with the chap I bought it from on eBay - he's a nice enough bloke, came with a guarantee; but, I have to send the clock to the guy who does the restorations for him (upstate New York) - no biggie, a minor annoyance (thus far). He sent me a message saying he'll pay for any shipping charges. So, I packaged up the clock and it's on it's way to upstate New York.

2003 Ford F-250 Diesel Tractor
Right rear tire is holding air great - plugged & done.
Last week I went to raise the right rear passenger window from my driver's side electric control window panel and the window would not raise (but it will lower from this switch). I can raise & lower the window from the right rear passenger side control so I guess the driver's side electric control switch has taken a $HIT. Updates to follow in the next Automotive Technician Newsletter.

Old March 8th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - The $100K question being, why the F*** didn't he dissemble the unit enough to notice the RESET button had been tripped? JMO, but so much for being a "certified Kitchenaid appliance technician"! I'd be asking for my money back, which I probably wouldn't get, but hell, if he can't find that, he has no business going on service calls.
Yeah, well - he did disassemble all of what I did and at this juncture I am happy to have him be on his way minus $80. I really don't want to go down the road you suggested. $HIT happens, more $HIT happens when you're looking for a fight.
Old March 8th, 2022, 03:43 PM

Yeah, well - he did disassemble all of what I did and at this juncture I am happy to have him be on his way minus $80. I really don't want to go down the road you suggested. $HIT happens, more $HIT happens when you're looking for a fight.
Like I said, JMO, just think he should have easily seen the RESET had been tripped. Picking my battles is not an art I have mastered yet, still a work in progress!