The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

Glenn - Your brother in need of a Vintage (Rare) classic guitar amplifier? I'm selling my 1980 Mesa Boogie MKIIB (RARE) - $1795.00 USD
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/msg/d/...456131471.html

Old March 9th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Not much going on. It looks cold out, but it isn't really. But it will be.

The lead was back today, and oddly enough no one was doing anything stupid.

Jamesbo it looks like that Jeep has a snorkel for fording.

Norm it was nice that the guy gave you a break for your next service call.

Glenn-- no idea. However I agree with you, if "American" is not your first language, it can be a bit daunting.

Gonna hit the sack in a minute. Everything is caught up and ready for tomorrow, and I'm tired. Hump Day was a success and I expect tomorrow to be more of the same.

Peace

Old March 9th, 2022, 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike.....

Old March 9th, 2022, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Military Mike,

Do you have any idear WTH the canvas piece is on the front of this 'Museum quality" M 38 A 1?

Edit, Never mind. It's a cold weather grill cover. I would guess to restrict air flow to the rad
That reminded me of back in 1989 or thereabouts a friend and I drove back home for Christmas in a CJ that he had recently bought. It was really cold and the Jeep didn't have a thermostat, so no heat. We stopped at a gulp-n-blow off the freeway and went dumpster diving, came up with a cardboard beer flat that I trimmed with my trusty Old Timer (evereyone carries one, right?), stuffed it between the grille and the radiator, and hit the highway. The Jeep almost immediately started to overheat, so we had to pull over and I trimmed the beer flat to maybe 12 x 12 and that was enough to keep the engine temp in a decent range and provide us with a much needed heater.

So yeah, another story of how beer saved the day. Wait, what, that wasn't the topic du jour?
Old March 10th, 2022, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
t I trimmed with my trusty Old Timer (evereyone carries one,
Yes every time I have my pants on
Old March 10th, 2022, 06:58 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Glenn - Your brother in need of a Vintage (Rare) classic guitar amplifier? I'm selling my 1980 Mesa Boogie MKIIB (RARE) - $1795.00 USD
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/msg/d/...456131471.html

I should show him Norm , but he is not playing so much now. And Jonsered item ordered

Originally Posted by slantflat
Glenn-- no idea. However I agree with you, if "American" is not your first language, it can be a bit daunting.
Peace
Yes Mike , i can speak a little but i think it,s easier to write trying to prevent misunderstanding hopefully
Old March 10th, 2022, 07:39 AM
Running On Empty

Yesterday afternoon I listed my 1980 Mesa Boogie MKIIB (RARE) on CL for $1795.00 USD - primarily because I reside in PoDunk I kept the price modest, IMO. Last night I decided to list my amplifier on Reverb for $2795 + $250 shipping (continental USA). They get a modest 10% service fee. The shipping will most likely cost me ~$150 - $175 (I'm building a special wood crate to ship). I listed the amplifier @ 7:30PM last night - w/in two hours there were over 50 views and four listed on their watch list. This morning I awoke and it sold last night for $3045 + taxes. Today I'm packaging it up, building a solid wooden case and preparing for shipment to California. Reverb has several listings of guitar amplifiers which are close to my listing priced between $1400 - $5000. Life is Good.
Old March 10th, 2022, 07:43 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
...Jonsered item ordered
Glenn – Jag är glad att du kunde slutföra din transaktion.
Old March 10th, 2022, 08:25 AM
GCH

Glenn – Jag är glad att du kunde slutföra din transaktion.
Old March 10th, 2022, 09:18 AM

Norm, Are you anywhere near Jacksonville NC.?
Old March 10th, 2022, 10:22 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, Are you anywhere near Jacksonville NC.?
James - Not sure about Jackson. I’m near Jacksonville, NC.
Old March 10th, 2022, 10:31 AM

Norm, Do you have time [and /or inclination] to look at an M-38 A 1 in Jacksonville N.C for me?
Old March 10th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Running On Empty

Beaufort>Jacksonville

Old March 10th, 2022, 10:56 AM
Running On Empty

James - Sure, it's not like I haven't been to/through Jacksonville at least a hundred times. It's a pretty simple drive. This Sunday (or later) would be the best opportunity. Tomorrow I play golf, this Saturday's ABCD Golf Tournament is a washout with 98% rain & they have already rescheduled the tournament. Sunday is 0% chance of rain ~45°F.
Old March 10th, 2022, 11:29 AM

Norm, PM sent
Old March 10th, 2022, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

What a surprise. I walked out of work today and it was sunny and in the 60s. It isn't going to last I know but how nice. Cooling off now that the sun is going down but it's still clear.

So at work all day long this one guy was saying how far ahead he was of everyone else. Another guy kept saying, too bad it's one number. (This is from the lead trying to get people to keep working until everyone is done) Well, turns out the guy complaining got to his number first and quit working. So much for one number. Then another guy, who is always wandering off and wasting time, decides he's going to do extra wheels so we can get out early tomorrow, because he needs to leave early. Another guy who is a prankster calls him out for only working hard when it benefits him. Good thing we're all professionals sheesh.

Norm good luck looking at the Jeep. Wish I could go with. I had thought one time I'd buy a GPW and use it as a summer daily driver. Then I realized they have 4.56 gears and it would take me light years to get to work and back every day.

Kenneth I'm guessing an Old Timer is a pocket knife. I've carried a pocket knife since I was in 7th grade. Started out with whatever I could find, then started carrying Swiss Army knives. Never was a big fan of MacGyver.

Okay time to wind down. One more. Hope I can get something done this weekend.

Peace

Old March 10th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Mike,
yeah Old Timer is a pocket knife brand. I’ve been packing since 3rd grade or thereabouts. My Grandfather on Dad’s side died, and Dad gave me some of his things, which included pocket knives and pocket watches. Then I got a Cub Scout multi-knife, kinda like a Swiss Army knife, but with a spoon and a fork. Oh yeah.

MacGyver

I used to laugh at that show. A lot of the stuff he did was good in theory, but not in reality. Like stranded in the desert, and powering a radio with two wires pushed into a cactus. Yes the theory of two electrodes in an electrolyte will generate a potential voltage, but in reality the voltage and current would be minuscule, and nowhere near what’s needed to power a transceiver.

And don’t get me started on the pyrotechnic stuff. Been there, done that, and a ground up road flare will not make a viable explosive charge.
Old March 11th, 2022, 04:15 AM

Kenneth, I carry a baby Buck that I've lost about 10 of. Wish I still had my Dad's Remington Bullet, but I lost it also
Old March 11th, 2022, 07:03 AM
Jeff

Back in the late 70's, my Dad obtained a stainless steel Zippo knife, similar to this one. It's about the thickness of 2 quarters, and a very durable knife. He carried it everywhere, until he lost it. I found one at a flea market about 7 years ago and he was pretty stoked to get a replacement. The one he originally had was a longer blade than the one I found for him, but these are absolutely the best slim pocket knife.

Old March 11th, 2022, 11:27 AM

This past Christmas I found a Gerber Ultralight LST (circa 1980) in an antique shop. It was love at first sight, and has become my new favorite. Best $5 ever spent.

HOW THE GERBER LST CHANGED POCKETKNIVES FOREVER
https://blademag.com/knife-collectin...knives-forever

Old March 11th, 2022, 12:18 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

I knew when I woke up this morning I should just stay in bed. Lots of people gone from work today, no one motivated, and my wall guy had a whopping two days experience. We finished after 130 and left before 2. Sad. I figured I'd be way behind and be lacking wheels at 230. The clowns actually like the new guy and are trying to indoctrinate him into their circle so a couple guys really helped him out. That it helped me was probably just an unfortunate side effect. Who cares. They can't touch me for 63 hours.

I've had my current SAK for probably 6 or 7 years. I quit giving it to people because they would use the tip of the main blade for a screw driver and break it off. I've lost a couple knives over the years, broken a couple, always get the same one to replace the previous one. When the (precursor to the) TSA outlawed pocket knives on planes I got a knife to keep at my Mom's house. I'd leave my knife home, fly up to see my Mom and keep that knife with me until I came home. I hate being without my knife. Australia is a different story. My friends say I can't have one on me at all, so I don't carry one when I'm there. Hm. That's if I ever get to go back.

Got an errand to run then I think I'll do some painting. Gonna do some painting tomorrow. If I can I'm going to do some painting on Sunday. I hate painting.

Overcast here and not too cold. But it's going to be cold as a mother tomorrow. I gotta tell you I don't care for that.

Peace

Old March 11th, 2022, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Finished packaging (building a shipping crate - 90 lbs) for the Booger late last night, got five hours sleep, played 18 (40/45) @ 8:30AM, dropped off the Booger @ UPS, opened a B&J New York Fudge Chunk sitting at the computer, fell asleep in the chair, woke up with 1/3 of the container of B&J ice cream turned over between my legs on the chair, what a mess. I can't make this stuff up.

Old March 11th, 2022, 06:12 PM

Finished packaging (building a shipping crate - 90 lbs) for the Booger late last night, got five hours sleep, played 18 (40/45) @ 8:30AM, dropped off the Booger @ UPS, opened a B&J New York Fudge Chunk sitting at the computer, fell asleep in the chair, woke up with 1/3 of the container of B&J ice cream turned over between my legs on the chair, what a mess. I can't make this stuff up.
Norm - Man, when you build a shipping container, you REALLY build a shipping container. I wish everyone was that conscientious when shipping their stuff! Nice job!
Old March 11th, 2022, 06:20 PM

Norm, you exemplify your current age of "Still very capable, but a man gets tired" very well.
Old March 11th, 2022, 11:21 PM

Norm,

Nice job
Do you know Jacque uses melted ice cream to make crepes?

COLD with the wind BLOWING hard with a few snow flurries
Old March 12th, 2022, 05:55 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks guys. I guess it took me ~4 hours to completely build the shipping crate outside of having to procure some of the hardware for assembly. Ninety pounds is not something you can gingerly sling about - hopefully it arrives in perfect condition in San Diego, CA this Thursday.

Yeah - The ice cream episode was just too darn funny. I think the idea of melted ice cream crepes sounds delicious.

I was thinking of y'all as this huge system passes through. I just returned from our Post Office to mail some letters. I normally would have put them into the mailbox on the road but with 60mph gusts approaching that type wind could easily open the mailbox door. It's ~75°F which will last all of several hours before the big downward plunge to 25°F this evening - windchill approaching 10°F.

I've been carrying a Winchester pocket knife the past 30 years.

I think I'll spend a couple minutes looking at some M38A1 buggies on-line.

Old March 12th, 2022, 06:04 AM

Good morning guys,

I was on Grandpa duty yesterday watching my youngest daughter's boys, Gabe (9) and Keegan (3). The person who usually watches Keegan had a medical procedure, and Gabe's school was canceled due to snow, although we only ended up getting about an inch or two. I watched them over at my daughter's house because then she didn't have to drag them out of bed, and they would have their toys, etc., to play with. I had to be over there at 0600, which meant I had to leave my place by 0530. We had fun, but I can admit I was wore out and ready to go home by the time she got home at 1530.

Really cold here this morning at 15°, and only supposed to get to 32°. Forecast for tomorrow, sunny and a high of 66°, nope not a typo, 66°. Forecasting a high of 72° by Wednesday.

No big plans for today. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old March 12th, 2022, 06:13 AM

Good morning all
I made a book of all the info I found on my great uncle who we thought went missing in wwii and I mailed one book to my aunt in Nashville and the next day my aunt in Memphis said she wanted one. Made another copy. Had it spiral bound and mailed it from the same post office.

that was seven weeks ago and neither ever showed up. Memphis to Nashville and Memphis to Memphis

So I wish you luck

not that I need more projects but I have been promising to fix my brothers Monte Carlo. He bought it in Chattanooga a few years back and it made it to memphis before it dumped its oil all over the ground

it had a physical hole in the Intake with a piece of plastic siliconed over it and The scariest wiring I have seen in a while

Anyhow I pulled all the old junk. Located the five or six wires I need and am going to try today to put new junk in

apparently is is near impossible to pull the motor and trans together in these. We pulled it off but broke the heater box I hate putting transmission in separate but I guess I will

Last edited by mattking; March 12th, 2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old March 12th, 2022, 06:27 AM
Always room for one more

Happy Winds-day, Piglet

Blustery on the southside as well Jamesbo. It's blowing all my car covers off. Probably knock over a few small trees at the shop, they aren't very hearty.

Matt that's a nice looking garage. Is that the Monte on the right? I absolutely loved those cars when they came out in 81. I tried to talk my Dad into getting one for a company car, he wound up with a Cutlass Supreme. I came -thisclose- to having that car as my first car, but it was not to be.

Norm a little bit bigger and you could live in that thing. Does the crate weigh 90 pounds or the crate with the amp in it? That's heavy enough no one will be slinging it around.

Gonna be painting all day. Might call my brother and ask him some advice. He's a carpenter and does a lot of flooring, I need to know how to cut out some carpeting and keep what's staying from fraying at the edges. Also which would be the best direction to run new hardwood floor in the living room.

All this after I go resecure my car covers with heavy things. Otherwise my $hitty neighbor will be over here with his camera taking pictures for the yard ****'s.

Peace

Old March 12th, 2022, 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

Matt - My crate is en-route via UPS. Seven weeks for pkgs from Memphis>Nashville/Memphis & still a no-show? Yikes. I was watching news on-line a couple weeks ago and a tractor-trailer mail truck plowed over the bridge abutment on a bridge, plowed through the concrete railing/containment and the entire tractor trailer went airborne into the river - driver was uninjured - mail/cargo could not have survived. I wonder if I can find that video.
Old March 12th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - 90lbs total weight. The amp weighs 70lbs. I had a job laying carpet just after H.S. (1) Use a carpet/roofing blade to cut the carpet (they're the curved hook blade type) - use a brand new blade; (2) they sell seamless carpet tape for joining two pieces of carpet together but you use the same tape for sealing the ends of a carpet also. You generally would try to place an end under the shoe-molding, but the seamless carpet tape will stop the fraying. Without a carpet laying iron (which makes short work of the deal), you can use an iron. Glue is embedded onto the tape for adherence to the bottom of the carpet. Without a carpet iron, you can do this. Put a piece of plywood or thick cardboard or something over the carpet. Take the end of where you want to install the seamless carpet tape, turn the carpet over so the bottom is facing upwards, then use a regular household iron to heat the tape/glue so it adheres to the bottom of the carpet at the edge of the carpet.
Old March 12th, 2022, 06:47 AM
Running On Empty

Super heatbond carpet tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Super-heatbond-Seaming-Carpet-Joining/dp/B076TNBL7G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=carpet+seam+tape&qid=1647096233&sr=8-4 https://www.amazon.com/Super-heatbond-Seaming-Carpet-Joining/dp/B076TNBL7G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=carpet+seam+tape&qid=1647096233&sr=8-4

Figures they now (also) sell carpet tape which I've never used, but hey looks like it would work:
https://www.amazon.com/Duck-442063-Self-Adhesive-Fiberglass-2-44-Inch/dp/B000BO6MIE/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=carpet+seam+tape&qid=1647096233&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Duck-442063-Self-Adhesive-Fiberglass-2-44-Inch/dp/B000BO6MIE/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=carpet+seam+tape&qid=1647096233&sr=8-3
Old March 12th, 2022, 06:50 AM
Running On Empty

Happened in Boston...

Old March 12th, 2022, 06:59 AM

So, the question is 'Does Mike own an iron?
Old March 12th, 2022, 07:06 AM
Running On Empty

So, the question is 'Does Mike own an iron?
Good question...
Old March 12th, 2022, 07:26 AM
Always room for one more

Yes indeed I do. I used to iron my blue jeans when I got them out of the laundry. Spray starch, the whole bit. Haven't done that in awhile.

My Mom lived in a modular house years ago and the buiilders had carpet in the bedrooms but tile in the hallways. They turned the ends of the carpet under and made sort of a carpet bullnose. Looked okay until it started coming apart. My Mom's solution was to take a metal strip, like you'd see someplace industrial, and put it down over the edge of the carpet. Kept the carpet from coming apart but looked like *** pudding.

Old March 12th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Running On Empty

They make some better looking "***-pudding" if you go that route. They're referred to as basic a basic "threshold". They make some nice ones in wood of various finishes, some thin, some wide, some thick. Some stores have better selections than others.
Old March 12th, 2022, 07:57 AM

Norm, nice crate. Ya better put a stain resistant spray on the chair, or a thick pad on which to sit, I usually don't wait to nod off to make a mess. How that driver came out of the river plunge uninjured is amazing. Supposed to be about 25° for a high today, 43° tomorrow, 50's, and 60ish later this coming week. The snowblower still sits in the garage, not in the shed. It's March in Michigan, and I don't trust mother nature.

Last edited by 1969w3155; March 12th, 2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old March 12th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Norm, that Winchester looks amazingly similar to the Old Timer that I’ve carried since, well it’s been so long I can’t remember. 1970s or 1980s I guess.
Old March 12th, 2022, 08:50 AM

They make some better looking "***-pudding" if you go that route. They're referred to as basic a basic "threshold". They make some nice ones in wood of various finishes, some thin, some wide, some thick. Some stores have better selections than others.
The most industrial threshold I have seen was just redone at my plant from concrete to carpet. They had that doorway taped off for the whole weekend while it cured. A contoured rubber strip held down with all the depression of Eeyore.