The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I just love the way Georgia Power work crews conduct them selves

After getting a skid steer stuck in the mud in a power line behind my house, They drove not one not two but three trucks and a skid steer across my wet pasture and through my back wire fence. To top things off they left a nice long piece of what used to be my back fence in the cemetery drive so it could get nicely wrapped around my front wheel

So with a family on the way, I look like I just finished my shift at Jiffy Lube

James most linemen I know can lift a ton but cant spell it, Just the cowboy way roll on lil doggies...
Old March 3rd, 2022, 12:44 AM

After 50+ years in the Real Estate dodge, I've had numerous battles with Georgia Power over easements, pole placement etc. 30 years ago they installed a pole w/o and easement and I stuck it to them
When I built the 9 lot subdivision at the lake it took me 3 years to buy 1 acre from Georgia Power for $4000 [to improve one lot] Was it worth it ? Yes [We made a bad lot a good lot and sold it for $850,000] Would I do it again ?No

Today at my ripe old age, I don't bother to fight idiots, He's doing his job and that's the best he can do The grass they plowed up will grow back and I won't spend hours on the phone getting my blood pressure up.

Last week in the rain a Publix 18 wheelers trailer came off the road [tractor stay on the road] and plowed up the right of way in front of the cemetery The driver reported it, 2 Publix guys came out and took pictures and reported it to risk ,management and gave me that number and e=mail address/ After a week I called to see if they were going to do anything NOPE

Yesterday we fixed the grass. Now you know why groceries are so expensive. They pay people to do NOTHING

Problem solved Blood pressure fine
Old March 3rd, 2022, 03:32 AM

--Chris, sounds good for your wife, my thoughts and hopes are with you guys.
--My surgery went great and I am almost back to normal, I have the post phone meeting with the surgeon on March 7. My wife is scheduled for a kidney transplant on March 18. It will be a direct transplant from her 43 year old niece! What a miracle! University of Michigan is doing it- They are amazing!!
-- Acadia seems like a nice car, we like it. I kept the Impala as I thought maybe donor niece or her husband may need transportation from their place in the upper peninsula to Ann Arbor and I would just let them use it. (or I would drive old car and let them use Acadia- we'll see.) Ahh, life is good, one day at a time. I really understand know how the older people have always said-"getting old sucks" and the younger person's response was " Getting old is better than the alternative". That's true but not so funny anymore.....
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:25 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time 8:54am. "Hit me with your rhythm stick...hit me, hit me, hit......me."
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:26 AM

Today at my ripe old age, I don't bother to fight idiots, He's doing his job and that's the best he can do The grass they plowed up will grow back and I won't spend hours on the phone getting my blood pressure up.
James - Honestly, I wish I could be more like that. I can understand them tearing something up to insure someone else's power stays on, but what I can't understand is why someone would't come to your door and tell you they did it, and say we'll come back and clean it up when its dry enough to get in there. Generally, my immediate reaction is to fight an issue if I believe I'm in the right. Thanks to my wife, I've gotten better at "picking my battles", and in the way I go about it. I'm getting better, I think, but I'm just not at where you are yet.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Chris, sounds good for your wife, my thoughts and hopes are with you guys.
--My surgery went great and I am almost back to normal, I have the post phone meeting with the surgeon on March 7. My wife is scheduled for a kidney transplant on March 18. It will be a direct transplant from her 43 year old niece! What a miracle! University of Michigan is doing it- They are amazing!!
Greg - That's wonderful news that your wife is going to get her transplant, WooHoo!!! Also glad to hear you're almost back to normal from your surgery! Thank you for your thoughts and concern about my wife's condition, it is much appreciated! We are feeling better about the entire situation after meeting with the surgeon yesterday. Yes, it definitely sucks getting older!
Old March 3rd, 2022, 05:10 AM

Good morning guys,

After a freakishly warm (81°) day yesterday, a mini cold front is passing through and it's supposed to only warm up to the low 50's today, despite mostly sunny skies. Then mid-60's tomorrow, and low-70's over the weekend, but rain. Taking a ride on the Midwest springtime weather roller-coaster!

Yesterday evening I started and pulled the 4-4-2 out of the garage, and gave it a dusting. I really would have loved to take it for a spin, but the salt is still caked all over the roads from that last ice and snow storm we had. I really just wanted to experience the sound and smell of it running. It's about time for spring maintenance. An oil and filter change, fluid check, and front end lube are on tap. I may pull the bikes out today and start them up. They will both get oil changes too before I start riding them.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old March 3rd, 2022, 06:17 AM

Chris, Someone alot spart than me once told me. " If you ever go to court, win loose or drawn, you'll wish you hadn't gone"
Yes, I've been and he was right

There;s a idiotic assumption that the court system is fair. In a few words it isn't just think 2 letters OJ
Old March 3rd, 2022, 06:34 AM

James - Agree 100%.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 07:30 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Greg - That's wonderful news that your wife is going to get her transplant, WooHoo!!! Also glad to hear you're almost back to normal from your surgery! Thank you for your thoughts and concern about my wife's condition, it is much appreciated! We are feeling better about the entire situation after meeting with the surgeon yesterday. Yes, it definitely sucks getting older!
Glad to hear that you are all right Greg and your wife going to get an transplant , knowing several people here that got a new kidney.
Hope your wife doing well also Chris , give her a big hug Yes it sucks to be old , 63 years old this year . Should start up the
98 soon , just waiting for that. Have been some time in the woods and some chainsaw repair. Purchased a Stihl ME 194 who is one
of the lightest saws and liked it a lot. Should have an eye check next week and se whats going on , if it is pinguecula or what.

Yes Norm i remember Ian Dury By the way , my brother plays on this record :

Old March 3rd, 2022, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Hope your wife doing well also Chris , give her a big hug Yes it sucks to be old , 63 years old this year .
Glenn - Thanks for your concern and kind words about my wife's medical issues, much appreciated! Looks like you and I are the same age, I will also turn 63 this year. Wow, that is really starting to sound old! Most days I don't feel that old, but some days I do, especially the day/s after I try to do something physical like I was still in my 20's or 30's. We ain't young pups anymore! Hope you and the wife are well!
Old March 3rd, 2022, 08:14 AM
GCH

Glenn - Thanks for your concern and kind words about my wife's medical issues, much appreciated! Looks like you and I are the same age, I will also turn 63 this year. Wow, that is really starting to sound old! Most days I don't feel that old, but some days I do, especially the day/s after I try to do something physical like I was still in my 20's or 30's. We ain't young pups anymore! Hope you and the wife are well!
Yes the years are going fast and physical things take longer time , more rest but it,s the way it is sometimes when
we are watching television i say to my wife , man how old this guy have been and after a while thinking , i,m in the same age myself
We are doing fine here , my wife got som burn when she dropped a steak in the pan so she got hot grease on her throut and upper
chest but it,s healing well and luckaly nothing hit her eyes.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
We are doing fine here , my wife got som burn when she dropped a steak in the pan so she got hot grease on her throut and upper
chest but it,s healing well and luckaly nothing hit her eyes.
Glenn - Ouch, that must have really hurt for your wife, burns are just horrible! Glad she's healing well!

My wife has some pretty bad scars on the front of her thighs from when one of those large percolator type coffee makers tipped over from a counter top across her thighs while she was sitting in a high chair when she was just 2-years old. Luckily, she was young enough she doesn't really remember it happening. Apparently she had to have a couple of skin graft surgeries to repair the damage as best they could..

This is what fell across her bare thighs.

Old March 3rd, 2022, 09:29 AM
GCH

Glenn - Ouch, that must have really hurt for your wife, burns are just horrible! Glad she's healing well!

My wife has some pretty bad scars on the front of her thighs from when one of those large percolator type coffee makers tipped over from a counter top across her thighs while she was sitting in a high chair when she was just 2-years old. Luckily, she was young enough she doesn't really remember it happening. Apparently she had to have a couple of skin graft surgeries to repair the damage as best they could..

This is what fell across her bare thighs.
What a large coffée maker , must have been very
painful to get this hot coffee over her legs. Good thing that she don,t remember it happen.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 11:25 AM

Chris,

My aunt [the family matriarch ] had one of those large coffee percolators, I swear, I think she kept it in the trunk of her car.. Every time there was a family emergency,[death illness etc] she'd show up, drag that thing out at whose ever house it was a brew coffee
Old March 3rd, 2022, 11:55 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
Should have an eye check next week and se whats going on , if it is pinguecula or what.
Glenn - Hopefully you'll see an ophthalmologist rather than a optometrist with whom you'll get a more qualified prognosis & treatment. Good luck.

Originally Posted by GCH
Yes Norm i remember Ian Dury By the way , my brother plays on this record.
Very cool. What instrument is your bother brother playing?

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 3rd, 2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 12:02 PM

James - I should have explained this to Glenn, but I'll say it now, even though you probably already know it. Back in the late 60's, the outside metal skin on those things was not well insulated from the interior that held the hot coffee. The exterior got very hot, hot enough to easily burn you if in contact with the skin for more than a split second. My understanding of the event that happened with my wife is that her mother was out of the kitchen, and my wife got ahold of the cord and pulled it off of the counter onto her thighs. The vast majority of the coffee went onto the floor, but the outside of the coffee maker was laying across both thighs, and it took her mother several seconds to get back into the kitchen after she started screaming and to pull the coffee maker off of her. Another case of parenting at its best.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 3rd, 2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 12:09 PM
Running On Empty

43/42 - A gorgeous day for pasture pool; yet, again I am so F'ing mediocre. It's really tough hitting from concrete fairways (with no grass underneath).
Old March 3rd, 2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
43/42 - A gorgeous day for pasture pool; yet, again I am so F'ing mediocre. It's really tough hitting from concrete fairways (with no grass underneath).
Hang in there, the grass will start coming in soon!
Old March 3rd, 2022, 12:43 PM

I signed up for trash service as I rarely go past the plant anymore to the north. I used to drop trash at my apartment complex where I used to live on the way to grandma's in Terre Haute.

Can arrived yesterday. Trash day was today. I could fit only 5 black bags in it. I'm a little disappointed. Trash man backs down my road, I think all his picks are on the passenger side while backing. Mine is driver, so he got out and grabbed it. There are three separate trash companies running on three separate days. I wonder if I'll get a notice to put mine across the road; I won't do it, as that is a guy's yard.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 01:05 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Another pristine day. I think it's 80 or close to it. Can weather be sumptuous? Tomorrow will be the last day I gush over the weather, because I'll be gone Saturday and Sunday and Monday it's going to rain.

Koda I pretty much denounced every trash company in town. They are all twits. I do have trash service at my new house, with a company that bought out one of the other dregs. So far they are doing well, and the price is way below any of the others. I hope they can hold out.

Greg your niece is literally a Godsend! Prayers that everything goes well.

Jamesbo how is the new subdivision across the street?

Gonna do some painting. It's after 4 I should wash the car. Nah, I gotta paint. Today is No Fun Thursday.

Peace

Old March 3rd, 2022, 03:02 PM

Jamesbo, I think that I wold be inclined to post on Publix FB page, ya know, a little public humility for thier customers to see, when they get enough negative comments, from their customers, I bet they will contact you to make it good. Chris, hoping all goes well for your wife, I know that you guys are sitting on eggshells at the moment, awaiting her surgery. Greg, the best wishes for your wife. Glad that you have a family donor. There is an alll GM show in May coming to the Gilmore. They will have a section set aside for H/O's, I plan on being there. Maybe you can make the trip down. Would it be a three hour drive? When I was 3 years old, we lived in a house that a central furnace in the middle of the hallway in the floor, which had a steel grid for which the hot air flowed and heated the whole house (no venting through out the house). Well, it was fired up, and according to my mom, I tried to squeeze around it, but fell on it. I still have the scars on my forearm, though they are quite faded, and getting harder to see as time goes by. I get a yearly cancer screen at a Dermatology center near me, went yesterday, and had a spot on my cheek frozen due to pre cancerous cells there. They scooped out a portion there in 2008, results were negative. I have had a couple of spots on top of my head frozen as well....no, I'm not a numbskull As long as my insurance keeps paying for most of it, I will keep going.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, hoping all goes well for your wife, I know that you guys are sitting on eggshells at the moment, awaiting her surgery.
Dan - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife, much appreciated! I know it's only been a couple of days, but we are still waiting on a call from the Surgeon's Office to schedule her surgery. We are sitting on egg shells, and anxious to get it scheduled and over with.

Glad you're getting regular check-ups and getting the pre-cancerous spots frozen!

In the house I grew up in in Michigan, my parents finished part of our basement into a family room. Since we had gas service, they put a stand alone gas heater in that room, and that sucker got hot! My brother and I both got burnt more than once horsing around and falling into it. Nothing more that small blistered patches, but still hurt like hell! You'd think we would have learned our lesson after the first time, but boys will be boys!
Old March 3rd, 2022, 11:18 PM
GCH

Glenn - Hopefully you'll see an ophthalmologist rather than a optometrist with whom you'll get a more qualified prognosis & treatment. Good luck.Very cool. What instrument is your bother brother playing?
Thanks Norm , he plays guitar. Rayburn was here and they recorded and then mixed all in US. He knew a rock a billy guy here who has been visiting him in the states.
Yes should check the eye up.

James - I should have explained this to Glenn, but I'll say it now, even though you probably already know it. Back in the late 60's, the outside metal skin on those things was not well insulated from the interior that held the hot coffee. The exterior got very hot, hot enough to easily burn you if in contact with the skin for more than a split second. My understanding of the event that happened with my wife is that her mother was out of the kitchen, and my wife got ahold of the cord and pulled it off of the counter onto her thighs. The vast majority of the coffee went onto the floor, but the outside of the coffee maker was laying across both thighs, and it took her mother several seconds to get back into the kitchen after she started screaming and to pull the coffee maker off of her. Another case of parenting at its best.
Ok Chris , so it was the hot outside of the coffemaker that did the burns.
Old March 4th, 2022, 02:52 AM

Headed Norte

Norm, I promise not to post again about the floating dock [At least until I finish and post pics of what I was very unsuccessfully trying to explain]

Chris, My mother's favorite expression was " If you won't listen, you must feel " To this day, it doesn't take me very long to examine a hot horse shoe
Old March 4th, 2022, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by GCH

Ok Chris , so it was the hot outside of the coffemaker that did the burns.
Yes
Old March 4th, 2022, 05:49 AM

Chris, My mother's favorite expression was " If you won't listen, you must feel " To this day, it doesn't take me very long to examine a hot horse shoe
Amen to that! I've always been partial to the one that says, "Insanity, is the act of continuing to do the same thing, but expecting a different result!"
Old March 4th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

We did rather well at work this morning. I think we had half of today's work already built up to start with. We finished before 10, left a little before 11. I decided against the Awful house, or I'd be here all afternoon.

Beautiful out but a bit chilly. The radio said it was 70 downtown but I don't think it is here. Either way I'll be in the car all afternoon.

Dan I've had several spots taken off me as well. None have been cancerous, but they always say, it could turn at any time. I always thought it was odd when the doctor asks, have these moles moved at all? I helped a friend renovate a house that had one of those in-floor furnaces. We took it out and put a big piece of plywood in its place, as he had already installed a regular furnace and AC.

Tiger goes to jail in a minute, then I need to get ready and go. I have to wait to get ready because Tiger will think he's going with me, and then gets upset when he's not. He's getting the spa treatment this weekend a bath, and getting his nails done and ears cleaned out.

Okay need to get this show on the road. Won't have to stop at the dog park this trip so I'll get to Mom's a little quicker. Okay by me.

Peace

Old March 4th, 2022, 02:57 PM

Old March 4th, 2022, 03:35 PM

James - That looks wonderful and much healthier than what we had! It was getting late, and my wife was busy making me her famous banana cake (bananas getting too ripe) with cream cheese icing, my favorite of all the desserts she makes. So I offered to go get take out of whatever she wanted, which I already knew what that would be. We got Chinese, she got Beef Lo Mein and fried chicken wings, and I got boneless Chinese ribs and pork fried rice. It was really good, but I'll be hungry again 3-hours from now. Thank goodness that banana cake is in there.
Old March 5th, 2022, 03:34 AM

Using left over onions, peppers, tomatoes i added sausage and butter to make Nassau grits
ive been trying to get Mike to try them ever since he's been going to Pensacola
But he doesn't like grits

Old March 5th, 2022, 04:29 AM
Running On Empty

Grits is not defined in the Zamboni dictionary.
Old March 5th, 2022, 05:25 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Looks like it will be a stellar day here in the panhandle. Nice trip down yesterday, aside from an hour's wait in construction traffic just outside Atlanta, and then a half hour's wait in accident traffic outside of Shorter, AL, which turns out, I was rather gleeful. I won't elaborate.

Jamesbo remember I was asking you about city chicken legs? That's what they looked like. Probably a couple different kinds of meat. The Nassau grits would be good if you didn't put grits in it.

Big day today. We're boxing up cleaning stuff, any sort of chemicals, as the movers won't take them. Also, really fragile stuff like the nicky nacky stuff Mom has -everywhere- and glass things that are fragile, framed pictures. And I can guarantee we won't be done until the dogmobile is completely jam packed with things still sitting on the driveway.

Of course we'll start out with Awful house and then Publix. I'm fairly certain this is my last trip down here. I wish I had a dime for every time I've done this over the past few years.

Peace

Old March 5th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Running On Empty

I might finish the '71 CS wiring today - just the wiring itself - installing new/upgraded Packard 56 Series terminals/connectors; then, a simple install of the new (to me) refurbished OEM clock (which will work flawlessly, hopefully).

The back left F250 tire began a very, very slow leak ~2 months ago. All the tires are only two years old w/ tons of thread remaining & these suckers aren't inexpensive @$260/tire discount priced. I ran over a nail last year (somewhere) which required me to remove the nail and plug the right front tire - no issues w/ that tire. I've filled the back left tire three times over the past two months - it holds air ~1-2 weeks. Last night I sprayed it down w/ soapy water while it was still mounted on the truck & luckily I found the issue. A nail with its head broken off began to ever so slightly blow bubbles. Honestly, I was very fortunate to have found the issue since removal of the nail stem & plugging the tire are the easiest items. I was dreading having dismount the wheel just to find the leak. The same with the right front tire a couple years ago - I got lucky again, that nail I could visually see and I made short work of plugging that sucker.

While I'm at it, let's add one more annoyance. Four days ago my 19 year old Kitchenaid dishwasher began acting up; so, out comes the wiring diagram, the manual, the diagnostics, blah, blah, blah. I believe the issue is either (1) the 8-10 wire flat "ribbon" or (2) the user control panel on top of the door. Lights are all a flashing, it's acting funky like it has no brain. I haven't completely read through the entire diagnostics mode sequence to determine exact cause, but I'm inclined to let someone else run the appropriate diagnostics on this one. I don't fancy giving up my spring weather indoors to fix this issue - I mean, that's not to say replacing the motor in the clothes dryer wasn't fun, but I'm leaning towards less appliance fun right now. So, a certified Kitchenaid appliance technician has been scheduled for this coming Tuesday.

My kicks DO NOT keep getting harder to find....

Old March 5th, 2022, 09:24 AM

Norm - Good luck finishing up the CS wiring if you decide to go that route. Also, I hope the dishwasher can be easily fixed, regardless of who does the fixin'.

Mostly cloudy here today but warm, supposed to get into the mid-70's. I should get out into the garage and start in on the Spring maintenance of the toys so they're ready when it's time to play, but I'm just not feeling it right now. I might get out there later this afternoon???
Old March 5th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Running On Empty

Norm - Good luck finishing up the CS wiring if you decide to go that route. Also, I hope the dishwasher can be easily fixed, regardless of who does the fixin'.
All White, Orange (including clock) & Black wires have new/upgraded Packard 56 Series terminals/connectors. Currently, assembling Gray wires (plus clock lamps). I have an assemblage of lamps, hopefully I might have two correct lamps for the clock.
I'll see how the dishwasher plays out, but I'm going to let the Kitchenaid appliance technician perform a proper diagnostics first & foremost.
Old March 5th, 2022, 12:15 PM
Running On Empty

Tire plugged. A thick 2" long threaded metal screw embedded in the tire. I suspect it was originally longer & I suspect I picked it up at the club where they are building our new clubhouse - lots of contractor traffic.

Old March 5th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Tire plugged. A thick 2" long threaded metal screw embedded in the tire. I suspect it was originally longer & I suspect I picked it up at the club where they are building our new clubhouse - lots of contractor traffic.
Norm - Glad you were able to get it plugged. I'm sure it was not easy to get out being threaded. I always carry tools, a plug kit, and a foot pump with me when I'm out on one of the bikes. It would be the $hits to pick up a nail or screw on the bike +200-miles away from home.
Old March 5th, 2022, 04:33 PM

Norm, you aint gonna dive in to the dishwasher??? I never even touched one of them. My wife and I argue about our dishwasher all the time. We never had one at our house. Then when we bought this place it had one so she uses it. When I do KP I don't use it. I wash dishes in sink- there is only 2 of us... Hey, don't the tire places in your area offer free tire repair if you buy tires from them? I thought that was pretty much standard at least around here. I remember putting plugs in tires back in the day when I worked at Montgomery Ward Auto in the 80's. Last time I checked around here no one uses those old school plugs, they dismount the tires and use a patch/ plug that goes in to out which would be a huge PIA unless you had a tire machine ( or it was free cuz you bought tires from them)....
Old March 5th, 2022, 04:40 PM

Norm, you aint gonna dive in to the dishwasher??? I never even touched one of them. My wife and I argue about our dishwasher all the time. We never had one at our house. Then when we bought this place it had one so she uses it. When I do KP I don't use it. I wash dishes in sink- there is only 2 of us... Hey, don't the tire places in your area offer free tire repair if you buy tires from them? I thought that was pretty much standard at least around here. I remember putting plugs in tires back in the day when I worked at Montgomery Ward Auto in the 80's. Last time I checked around here no one uses those old school plugs, they dismount the tires and use a patch/ plug that goes in to out which would be a huge PIA unless you had a tire machine ( or it was free cuz you bought tires from them)....