The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I gave you my opinion. Let it ride. Renew your current plates, the new ones will come with their own renewal, and don't sweat it. I know it's frustrating, but when does the state ever give a $hit. Every time you call they look for your application and it goes to the bottom of the pile.
Mike - I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that line of BS. I don't think you would pay $25 for an inspection, and an additional $75 in registration fees to renew the current plates, if you'd already submitted a valid application for "Historic Plates", and they had already cashed your check for those historic plates. What the hell kind of sense would it make to spend additional money on something you've already validly paid for! There's right, and there's wrong, and often there are gray areas in-between, but in this case the State is definitely in the wrong and owes me plates I've already paid for, and that's the bottom line!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 15th, 2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old August 15th, 2021, 09:19 AM

Chris, I think that's a Dynamic 88. Delmont was later. 65 were Dynamic and Deltas.

Mike, Enterprise will let you tow, for 20 bucks more a day, with the 2500. No towing on the 1500, so maybe the sticker there. I was not impressed with how much room the truck itself needed to brake. The trailer and the car on it made very little difference. I set the cruise at 60 and went. I lived in the Terre Haute for 2 years at grad school, then would visit grandma on weekends till 09 when she passed. Since then, I have been cleaning out and selling houses there. Got delayed with a couple on the road assignments from my employer.
Old August 15th, 2021, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the pics comments. I think that at the last two shows, my favorites were the Packards, just beautiful cars. Glenn, a nice looking '65, thanks for posting.
Old August 15th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Always room for one more

Chris if you think all I'm giving out is BS then the hell with you. You asked for opinions but mine doesn't match yours so it's BS. Nice. Good luck with all this, I'm out. Actually, you are.

Old August 15th, 2021, 11:46 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - Thanks! Is that '65 a Delmont 88? That's a beauty. I saw one like that for sale not too long ago here at a classic car dealer that I just loved. Is it close to you and are you considering possibly purchasing it?
Hi it,s a Dynamic . Not very close to me , sorry i don´t have the cash for this at the moment
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris if you think all I'm giving out is BS then the hell with you. You asked for opinions but mine doesn't match yours so it's BS. Nice. Good luck with all this, I'm out. Actually, you are.
Mike - You're right, I did ask for suggestions, and I shouldn't have responded in those terms and that tone! I think you're a great guy, and I'm sorry for responding in that manner, you didn't deserve that!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 15th, 2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, I think that's a Dynamic 88. Delmont was later. 65 were Dynamic and Deltas.
John and Glenn - Thanks for setting me straight on the Dynamic vs. the Delmont!
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:37 PM

Any of y'all ever heard of this guy. Both his daughters went to high chooll with me

https://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/Dave-Tallaksen-USA.html#google_vignette

When I was a pup, I'd go by to visit him and he'd be watching TV in his Firestone racing suit. They called him " the mouth of the south' GREAT guy. He game me a ride in his new Lotus Elan and his New GT 40

The only person I've ever know to own more different cars than Mike
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
James - Never heard of the guy, but pretty impressive resume for number of top three finishes for number of events entered. Sounds a little eccentric though if he sat around watching TV in his racing suit. Guess it's a better than if it was his birthday suit!
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Here's my take on your historic license plates:
(1) You applied, you have documentation regarding the date you applied, you have a canceled check, you have gone above & beyond seeking a resolution;
(2) There is and there has been a reduction in manpower for the great majority of the country - for many, many reasons i.e. some people refuse to get a COVID-19 vaccination - and, they're currently the greatest majority currently afflicted with the COVID-19 variant, you most likely do not know the current number of employees working for the DMV - are they at 50% RIF, 60% RIF, 70% RIF, 40% RIF? There are probably some extenuating circumstances which are playing out regarding untimely fulfillment of historic license plates. They (DMV/Dept of Revenue) may have put historic license plates on the back-burner in order to address (perhaps) more pressing needs i.e. commercial license plates, commerce/industry, etc., etc.;
(3) If it were me, I'd drive around with a current expired license plate. If you get pulled over, so what - show them the documentation. If they insist on writing you a citation (extremely unlikely), you go to court, you plead your case and the judge agrees with you and says to you: "Before I throw this citation out, please answer me - are you related to Tricky Dick Nixon?";
(4) You continue down your current path - no one on this thread will wonder why you've suffered a high blood pressure aneurysm; or,
(5) We read about some crazed person who has gone Postal at the local DMV.

Now get outdoors and chase the kids off your lawn! LOL

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 15th, 2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old August 15th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

James - I have never heard of the "Mouth Of The South". I do like the cars he has entered and driven in races. I could see him sitting around in his Firestone racing suit - racing blood in his veins for sure. I'm pretty sure the late Dale Earnhardt did the same. I think Richard Petty sleeps in his racing suit.
Old August 15th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - What a great car show. I don't have any particular car I like better than any other because I think I like them all. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them w/ us.
Old August 15th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

I'm zonked, beaten up, half-dead, exhausted and pretty much feel like an old beat-up Mule Skinner. I guess I'm ~1/3 complete on washing the columns. Our club is aerating greens tomorrow & Tuesday - front nine tomorrow, back nine Tuesday - which means we'd be playing the same nine twice. I assembled a foursome to play a different course for tomorrow, instead. Tee-time 8:30 AM.
Old August 15th, 2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Here's my take on your historic license plates:
Agreed. All good points!
Old August 15th, 2021, 02:48 PM

I think that Norm may be right about the DMV, and the people shortage. My birthday is in November, and I usually get my plate renewal application at the end of September, early October. I got it last week. Norm, thanks for the compliments.
Old August 15th, 2021, 03:21 PM

Norm - Related to your comment about "Tricky Dick", I am regularly asked if I am related to former Missouri Governor Jay Nixon (2009 - 2017), who is from the area where I live. I always say "No, but I'm related to "Tricky Dick", and then tell them I'm kidding. True story. During the 1968 election, my Dad had went back to college to finish his degree, and was working a part time job at, of all places, the "Whitehouse" Ice-cream Company which was only about 2-miles from our house. You can just imagine the ribbing and grief he got!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 15th, 2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old August 15th, 2021, 06:47 PM
Always room for one more

Chris thanks for saying that. I really think you're making too much of all this. If it will make you feel any better, I'll tell you I haven't gotten either one of my tax return money yet. True, I filed at the very end of the deadline in May, but hey it's half way through August now and bupkus. If I'm lucky I'll see it before I have to file for next year. Maybe they just aren't sending out refunds this year.

Norm do you have the Mule Skinner Blues?

Jamesbo I thought Jerry Clower was the Mouth of the South.

Didn't get much done today, but found out one of my jobs didn't need doing. I kept thinking the new door we had put in was in primer and needed painting. I looked at it close today and it has a factory finish on it, no primer about it. So I don't need to paint the door. I do need to paint the surround. My sister brought over a new TV for my Mom and we hooked it all up this afternoon. Big, nice picture, added one more remote to the table.

Well I haven't done much but I'm tired. Gonna hit the sack early and get up early tomorrow for some errands and we'll see if I can actually do something tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good night and a good start to the week.

Old August 15th, 2021, 08:20 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - That’s pretty good. I have heard that song sung by Dolly a very long time ago. Man could she belt out some tunes.

I went to bed one hour ago exhausted & I couldn’t fall to sleep - now I’m up. Visions of Dolly’s dancing cantaloupes should help me fall to sleep maybe.
Old August 16th, 2021, 01:11 AM
GCH

Have some records of Dolly but listen more to this version of Mule Skinner Blues

Old August 16th, 2021, 07:38 AM

I think I need to batten down the hatches
Old August 16th, 2021, 07:53 AM

I think I need to batten down the hatches
James - I'm assuming you're refering to Tropical Storm Fred headed up your way. I'm seeing the winds should not be too bad (20 - 30 mph) by the time it gets to you, but you could get up to 6 inches of rain. Is that about what they're forecasting there? Hope it's not too bad for you and Mike!
Old August 16th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Good morning guys,

Lazy morning around here, I didn't get up until 0700. Nice and cool again this morning at 62 when I got up, but warming rapidly, although the high is only supposed to be around 82.

No big plans for today. I'll be on dog duty for awhile while the wife goes for a pedicure with her neighbor friend. My grandson Keegan's 3rd b-day is this coming Sunday which we'll be going to. It's always fun to see them have b-days at that age.

We have a local "Pevely Days" (small town we live in) festival this week on Thursday thru Saturday. There will be a small car show in conjuction with the festival on Saturday morning from 0800 - 1200. I will probably take the car up there, but haven't decided for sure yet.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 16th, 2021, 08:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up with the chickens and ran a few errands and the trip culminated with the Awful house. Looks like rain but I have a few things to do outside, I'm going to start on them anyway.

Jamesbo I haven't heard about bad storms for us. They could bypass us and I wouldn't mind. Six inches of rain? Hope they start letting the lake down soon or it will be up in the back yard. Tiger loves it. Me, not so much.

Of all the celebrities around I think I'd most like to meet Dolly Parton. I've heard more than once she's the same way in person as she appears on stage, friendly, downhome, genuinely glad to see you. That's rare amongst the famous anymore. The big moracca's, eh, not such a big deal all the women in my family are chesty. Maybe not to that extent but that's not my attraction to her. I could listen to her records all day.

Okay time to get to work. I think this is the day Elvis died. Is Elvis such a big deal anymore? I mean he died in 1977. I think people nowadays make it a point to not know about things that were before they were born. Hope everyone has a good Monday.

Old August 16th, 2021, 09:03 AM

Mike, I think there are more than 1 " Mouth of the south" Ted Turner being another one
Old August 16th, 2021, 09:38 AM

Wasn't Martha Ray also called the mouth of the south?
Old August 16th, 2021, 10:24 AM

I have a coworker to whom I refer as the mouth of the south.
Old August 16th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Elvis is not dead - he's just left the building. Do you recall the craze for some time when people refused to believe he died? Some form of crazed lunacy. I'm certain those are the same individuals who believe the Earth is flat.

I shot rather poo pee (45/42). Surprisingly, I won the majority of money - not such a bad thing.

There will be no work on washing bricks today. It is disgustingly hot & muggy. The next three days appear to be similar to today's heat, which means tomorrow morning I need to hit it (the washing) early. I'm better prepared to admire what I've accomplished thus far from the interior of my home where there will be chocolate malted milkshakes being served after a nice crispy salad.

I believe James & Mike (ATL) are expected to begin to see the Eastward side outer bands of Fred's tropical depression beginning ~4PM today. The forecast is anywhere between 4" - 8" rain somewhere around the ATL area.

Old August 16th, 2021, 11:59 AM

Not to get too political but IMHO it's deja vu all over again

Reminds me of the Montagnards "See ya"
Old August 16th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Not to get too political but IMHO it's deja vu all over again

Reminds me of the Montagnards "See ya"
So, as long as we state we're not going to get too political, it's then OK to get political. Sounds like B.S. to me.
Old August 16th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Always room for one more

Norm it could be political or not, I don't have any idea what it means.

Be careful saying something is BS. There's a guy around here who's sensitive about such things

Beautiful here this afternoon. Apparently the storm has moved on and we're not getting any rain at all. Or as my Grandmother would say, a'tall. Maybe Atlanta will miss out on it as well.

Don't know what's for dinner but it sure smells good in here. Beef stew going on, pepper steak, but no chocolate malted. Well, you can't have it all.

Old August 16th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike, Dolly Parton would be a good choice and you thoughts about her are right on. My wife and I were in Natchitoches, LA a few years ago for a couple nights. That was where Steel Magnolias was filmed, One of the local merchants told us that when the crew was there that Dolly was out among all the locals. Not so with Sally Field. They never saw her. I don't believe she has ever forgotten where she came from.
Elvis is still huge. They close Elvis Presley Boulevard and have a huge candlelight vigil. He is still huge. He has been gone 44 years and would be 86 years old. Hard to believe. Go to graceland.com and you can see all kind of stuff.
Old August 16th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Always room for one more

Glenn you've burst my bubble a little. I love, love Sally Field. I'd hate to think she was a snob. I'll keep thinking that she's not.

Norm I was at the store yesterday and was looking for an asphalt product that I could reduce with water and brush on wood, just like you said. I didn't see anything. Closest was asphalt roof stuff that brushed on. That would be okay if it didn't gross us out every time we walked out the back door. I don't want the yard to smell like a freshly paved street. You got a brand name I could look up?

Tomorrow is my Mom's birthday. She'll be 80. It will be business as usual, I have chores to do, she'll look after her little grandson in the afternoon. Instead of going home Wednesday I'll go home tomorrow night. The AC in the dogmobile has gone tango uniform again, and I don't want to drive during the day with the dog in the car. If it's dark it won't be as hot.

Okay bedtime. Don't have to get up early tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.

Old August 16th, 2021, 09:49 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I provided the name in my original post:

HENRY

It’s a wood damp sealer emulsion sealant. Reduce with up to 20% water.
Old August 17th, 2021, 02:26 AM

Not to be too political but it's raining like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock
Old August 17th, 2021, 05:33 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - This is the HENRY product.

Asphalt Emulsion 1-Gallon Waterproofer Roof Sealant
107 Asphalt Emulsion Sealer and Dampproofer
Old August 17th, 2021, 06:15 AM

Not to be too political but it's raining like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock
You’re hilarious! 😆
Old August 17th, 2021, 06:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Sorry Mike, unlike CNN I just report the facts and don't fabricate the news.
Old August 17th, 2021, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Sorry Mike, unlike CNN I just report the facts and don't fabricate the news.
Not to get political of course, but where do you get your facts?
Old August 17th, 2021, 07:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

As I mentioned in my original post I talked with a local merchant who was a long time resident and was there when the movie was filmed. Is that good enough?
Old August 17th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Quick run out to the Awful house and back home to get to work. Been helping my Mom in the kitchen. I'm the lifter. Lift this into the oven. Lift this out of the oven. Get this off the top shelf. It's Mom's 80th birthday today, she still gets around pretty good but if I'm here then I'm the grunt. I don't mind at all. She lives by herself and has people close by if she needs anything. I'd say she's doing pretty good.

Glenn I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that you made that up. I'd listen to you any and every day of the week. CNN who?

Jamesbo I'm supposed to come home tonight, and Mom said it will be raining like crazy, and I should wait. Eh, rain doesn't bother me. I mean, I'll be inside the car I won't get wet.

Thanks Norm. I didn't see that stuff at the store but did see something similar. The part about being for the roof threw me. I'll go back and get that so I can get that project done. I haven't heard about any Elvis sightings for quite some time. My Mom was an Elvis fan back in the day and she still thinks he's not buried at Graceland. Supposedly they spelled his name wrong on the marker and "that negates who is in there." Different name, not same person. Okay Mom.

Okay time for chores. The woman ladled the gravy on my biscuits this morning and of course I had to eat all of it. Think I'll skip lunch. I foresee meatloaf for our supper, something excellent to look forward to. Have a good day everyone.