The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2016, 05:57 AM
CQR

Merry Christmas CO. hope everyone had a great day.

Olds98lady, that is great to hear. Congrats to you and your husband. And special congrats to her.

Last edited by CQR; December 26th, 2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old December 26th, 2016, 06:54 AM

Mawn'in

Too wet. drizzle to smack whitey today

Mike, No it's nmot the same stuff you put in yur train. One of these days, [on the way to the Aweful House] ya oughta venture into a grocery store. They're full of all kinds of stuff

Inline, looks like ya beat us to Christmas also

olds98lady, Wonderful gift. FWIW, I'm avaliable for adoption

John, You may be the only die hard Saints fan in de hillls. Glad ya got the mega boob tube in time for their victory

Scot, Cool pic, I can't figger out where ya find all these pics

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 26th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Old December 26th, 2016, 11:18 AM

I hope you know, I'm stealing this
Old December 26th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Good evening.

Jamesbo- atleast now i beat you for Christmas

Trip to middle-Finland wasnt so boring after all.
On slightly curving road i faced an caravan-trailer which lost traction, coming towards me 50mph. Just had enough reaction time to start to pull out of road, thanks to it no personal injuries. My Volvo is toast now tho. Was quit a hit to hit that camper trailers back at 50mph. Now starts boring fight with insurace Company for how much they buy my scrap.

Old December 26th, 2016, 01:11 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Upper 40's here today, no white Christmas again this year. Hope you're all recovering from eating too much food. We had ham yesterday, it was so salty that I can't stop drinking a lot of water today.

London - yes you're right, mincemeat pies are not common here. Don't think I've ever had one. Around here, Santa usually gets some milk and cookies. I also have to throw reindeer food on the roof, otherwise the kids get mad at me for not feeding Dancer and Co, lol.

Inline - Christmas day is the bigger celebration here although we usually have parties on Christmas Eve too. I'm sorry to see that your car got messed up, but I'm glad to hear you're ok. The car looked very clean so hopefully it won't cost much to fix or at the very least your insurance company takes good care of you.
Old December 26th, 2016, 07:06 PM

Today was great.Husband and I went car shopping today,was for me.I have a 2005 Honda Accord on it's last legs,transmission is going out.I did not need to put anymore money into it,has 205,000 miles on it.I decided on the 2014 and newer Chrysler 300Cs.Test drove an used 2015,a 2016 that was a lease turn in and a brand new 2017.I chose the 2017 and bought it.I love it and does go.
Old December 26th, 2016, 09:40 PM

Dang Jamesbo, it was the only one like it! Inline, good to see that you are ok, car looks repairable. Talked my buddy awhile ago, guess a lady ran a stop sign last week and hit his 2015 Sonata, causing 9k worth of damage, the body shop will have it for a least a month. We hit 52° yesterday, 48° today, by the time that I got out of work it was down to 32°, supposed to drop a bit more, with wind gusts in the 40's.
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:06 PM

Well, it is salvageable, but not going to happen. Repairing that costs way more than the car is worth, so it goes to "buy-out" without a doubt. And the pillar where that A-pillar starts to raise is slightly bend which cant be seen from those pictures.

I have to tell one story, no bad feelings. TV was once open, no-one was really looking for it, we were just chatting with friends. Undercover Boss was running on tv. For gods sake did we start to laugh when one boss at the end of the program asked from his employee how she can have/ can drive a car with almost 200'000 miles

Up there 200k miles is just driven in. Mine, for example is ~310k miles, and fine. One of my former car had over 400k miles, and it drove and lasted just fine, no problems. That was Volvo too.
There seems to be quite a difference on culture how long cars are used. IE, what seems to be trash on you, is there just freed up from the first owner to used-car market.
Of course, its not that black-and-white, but from eveywhere ive ever read or heard, i can only imagine why are cars ditched with so low mileage at US? Shouldnt they last same as there?

Anyways, that was just out of curiosity, no offence to anyone.

Have a nice tuesday everyone, ill start to fight with insurance Company when the guy wakes up.

EDIT: Got a call. Went to the buy-out as i foresaw. Now to look "new" car.

Last edited by Inline; December 27th, 2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:32 AM

Mawn'in

Still iky drizzle

Inline, Glad you're OK

In America we throw away everything, cigarette lighters, wives, cars etc. It's called "built in obsolesence" Lee Iaccoa stopped making the Valiant becuase it wouldn't fall apart so no one would ever buy a new one

olds98lady congrats, I've got a Cheby 2500 4x4 with over 250,000 on it that I'm gonna keep til it blows up. Then I'm gonna put a new crate motor in it.

John, I bet its froggy up in de hills this mawn'in

GTg

Old December 27th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a really nice visit with my family. Though it was short. Didn't have any trouble with flights, but the planes were full. I figured they wouldn't be.

Jamesbo I go to the grocery store all the time. But I buy the same things like soup, cookies, peanut butter...

Too bad you're going to scrap your car, Inline, a lot of that would buff out.

Last day off. I had planned on running up to da hills but with the impromptu trip to Florida I'm going to play catch up today. If this fog will ever burn off it might be a nice day, but there was rain while I was gone and everything is a muddy mess.

Okay have a good Tuesday everyone.
Old December 27th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Mike,

Ya aren't gonna find Liquid smoke on the cookie aisle or the soup aisle. Venture over to the spice/condiment aisle. BTW I hardly ever use the stuff
Old December 27th, 2016, 09:32 AM

Well, they called me when they had 7000$ already counted for repairs, and not everything was yet even counted, that your better start to look for new car. The frame is bend where that a-pillar starts, behind the front wing.

Oh well. Already bought a car, 2004 Honda Accord Tourer ( stw). Blue.
Get it at friday or saturday. Nothing exciting.
Just a dull car, but it was automatic and stw with towing hitch, so it ticks all the right boxes, and was good to drive.

Now sauna

Whats everyones new year plans? Were probably just staying home together.
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Captain Starfire

Kwik' greetings of the day, y'all. Yep, it's really froggy and wet here in da' hills.

Not a peep from ol' Tony the Retaining Wall Guy. Shocking!

Great to hear from all the Oldsmofriends who lurk, but rarely post anymore. Hope everybody had a wonderful Christmas & here's to a Happy New Year to all!

Unfortunately, Gene's back in the hospital due to an infected knee (don't think it ever was any good after the replacement over a year ago). His MIA "girlfriend" is in IL galavanting with her family and wouldn't even answer her cell phone. So I'm in GA and his guardian angel, Ken, is in FL. So he's essentially on his own, poor guy. If things don't go well for surgery today, one of us is going to have to fly up to the Great White North and hold his 88-y.o. hand.

Inline, glad you survived... The pictures look like an episode of Highway Thru Hell on The Weather Channel.

God bless us, every one.
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. It was 62 and sunny today, unusual here this time of year. Tomorrow we're back to reality in the low 40's.

We had a party a couple of days before Christmas, my grandmother celebrated her 100th birthday. Still lives in her house by herself which is totally amazing.

Went to go see Rogue 1 the other night, much better than the force awakens IMO. Just found out a couple of hours ago that Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) passed away.

OldsLady98 - good choice on getting the 300. We bought a 08 300 Hemi back in 09 and it is still going strong today.

Inline - yes I think the majority of people in this country believe in just throwing stuff away. Not all of us are like that though, many people here still like to keep and preserve older things. My wife and I have filled our house with mostly antiques, most newer things just don't have the character of old stuff. I also prefer to run my cars as long as possible. My current one is 16 years old and still looks brand new.

Last edited by OLD SKL 69; December 27th, 2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:25 PM

Good Morning.

Friend has a birthday today. He called me, and i promised today to go with him and for his present change rear leafs to his Valiant. His coming to get me at 1pm.

Bee-Oh-Pee - You dont sound too amazed about the wall-guy
Shame about your friend, hope all goes well in the end.

OLD SKL 69 - I must admit, i havent seen a single Star Wars episode from start to finish Its not about i wouldnt be interested, somehow i just havent seen them.

Well, have a nice wednesday everyone!
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:36 PM

Taking my 13 year old daughter out to have her Christmas present done she received from my SIL Stacy.She made an appointment to have dreadlocks done for her.Loves them and then talked me into it.My first time and I love them as well.Husband reacted very well.My 13 year old always wanted to have this done.
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:25 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Inline glad the Volvo kept you and the fam safe. I think we are going to dinner and then coming home before everyone gets crazy.

Glad xmas is over. the kids BF is stopping by so I can put his present on his S-10. We got him studded snow tires. He didn't seem very thrilled.

The wife got her lab results back from the Veterinarian. They came out better than expected. No reason to get the CDC involved.

have a Great Humpday.
Old December 28th, 2016, 05:21 AM

Mawn'in

Cloudy and dank

Clint, Why does your wife go to a vet??

Inline, Glad you're on the right road to getting a new daily driver
Can you see the northern lights in the sky where you live. On FB there's a cool pic

John, So what;s the next step with Mr. [no] Wall builder? If you give me a big enough deposit, I'll start building your wall this year.
Prayers for your friend Gene.

Old December 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Captain Starfire

Hi, gang. 38* in da' hills dis this mawnin'... maybe trying to clear up a bit? We shall see. Planning on a nice long walk at the dam this afternoon.

At a loss, Jamesbo. We either just wait around for him to be ready (maybe never?) or go out and spend even more $$ having somebody else do it. So we're continuing the waiting game until the remaining 10% of hope has vanished. Our options are limited, unless we hire one of Mike's associates in Chicago. ;-)

So far so good w/ the new TV setup. Quite nice picture -- at least while we have it -- and no outages so far. One item of interest: I told you that Windstream was straight from the nether regions of the universe. Case in point: After canceling our service over a month ago, they're debiting our checking account today for the monthly bill! At least they're consistent.

Gene had surgery yesterday and they put a spacer where his knee was, and now they're going to try (once again) to get rid of the infection. No telling when he'll go home, or get another knee. I'm thinking a minimum of 8 weeks for the latter.

Y'all have a great Humpity, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 28th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:21 AM

Evening all

Greeting from sunny Spain. High 60s and no breeze. Lovely.

Busy house hunting again, think we have found the one, I will put in an offer in the morning
Going to a restaurant for New Year, damn expensive.

Inline, I thought all Finnish drivers drove like they are in the RAC rally, mind you, looking at your pictures they do!

By the way, I hope none of you are a famous singer/actor, they all seem to be meeting their maker this year.

Be safe over this festive period.
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sounds like everyone has had something interesting happen in the last little while. Some of it good, some of it not so good.
It's interesting reading catching up with you guys.
Clint, I had to laugh when I read about Lynne. I think I know why.
Darrell, that shows on my list. I remember when the first one came out and what a hottie Carrie was.
Inline, just curious. I thought you used the metric system. Is that 200k miles or KM?
John, perseverance is the name of the game.
Jim, I dint nose y'all still had weather ta go whack ol whitey. Goin to meheeko soon so's I can swim wit de fishes. Gee, that sounds wrong. ��
Well the hunt is still on for the perfect set of goggles. Optometrist gave me yet another new script. 3rd one in the last 2 months. Hope she got it right this time.
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Monday. First time in a long time I have to work all four. Hm. Hope it isn't too bad. I get to see some people I haven't seen in awhile so that's a good thing. Maybe I'll get to be in charge again.

Good luck with the house, London.

John if you want I'll make some calls. Hope Gene does okay.

Darrell that's awesome about your Grandmother. She's seen a lot in her time. My Grandmother has been gone a long time but she would have been 100 this year.

Okay headed to work. Hope everyone had a good Hump Day.
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening all. 40's and colder today, got spoiled by yesterdays nice weather. Off a couple of days from work and am getting a chance to clean off some items from my to do list.

Clint - what was the reason why your wife was seeing the veterinarian? Thought you would also like to know that I got a chance to work on my friends car with the timing issue. Turns out that not only was the double roller timing chain have 8 degrees of play in it, the distributor was also 180 out. I thought it was amazing that an engine would run that well with it in backwards. I put a new double roller in today and fixed the timing, hope to get it all back together tomorrow.

Mike - thanks, my Grandmother is the original owner of the 63 Riv I have. Most of my family was into cars so I guess that's where I get it from.

Allan - yes I agree. Especially in her sexy outfit with Jabba the hut.

Inline - there are the original 6 movies and now two new ones. You'll start watching and probably get hooked on them.

Also, I just heard that Debbie Reynolds, Carrie Fisher's mom, just passed away tonight, 24 hours after her daughter. Have to feel bad for her brother and son with all they lost so quickly.
Old December 29th, 2016, 12:58 AM

Morning.

Ugh, hang-over of the year.. Yes, i did change his rear leafs, but somehow we ended up to bar and another and.. Dont like this. Even i very often write about drinking beer, i dont like to drink for the sake of getting my head dizzy, simply because it tastes good. And not getting dizzy doing it.

Uhh.. Well, the Valiant got really much better with new leafs than supposedly originals, they were really soft after 40 years.

LondonCutlass - RAC drivers And good luck with the house! Restaurant at new year indeed sounds expensive.

Allan R - Yes we use metric systems. And that 200k was miles indeed. I just always atleast try to speak on miles, i figure its easier if i convert the units when writing vs. that everyone of you would have to figure it out separately.

Have a nice day everyone. Insurance inspector tried to call me at Morning, and phone was at the other end of mansion Now im waiting WITH my phone.
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:04 AM

Kinda dank this mawn'in

Allan, What's the deal with avatar musical chairs?

Mike, Ya gonna call uncle Lou in De-troit to help John out with the [no] wal builder

Inline, Sorry ya got some "bad ice" last night Try a BIG bowl of grits with butter

Old December 29th, 2016, 09:15 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Darrell you can stab a distributor in any position as long as you put the plug wires on it's will still start and run.

Not surprisingly, the labwork (same lab work that humans get) is much cheaper thru the vet. Each X ray thru the Vet is $20. and its a lot easier to get in without an appointment to get things looked at. It also doesn't hurt that the kid is a tech and can do all the work.

Have a day all.
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:58 PM

My husband getting answers for his back pain finally today.Pinched nerve in his lower back.Went to a back specialist I know very well,friends in the medical field with.He goes under the knife in 2 weeks Janaury 13th,2017 and I trust this back specialist very well,does great work.
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Olds98lady, I hope that it goes well for your husbands surgery, I've been putting it off for years. My thought is when I can no longer function in a normal matter, then I will have it done.
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home from work a little early this morning and slept all day. Woke up around 1 and thought, eh, I can wait a little longer to get up. Looked up again and it was 4. Smooth trip into work this evening.

Loads of rain last night and early this morning. Thought that might be it for awhile but I've heard about rain all weekend. That will be okay with me for a change, it will cut down on the amount of neighbors shooting guns(with the requisite real bullets) into the air on Saturday.

Jamesbo I don't need to call Detroit. We have a pretty extensive "network" up home that would likely do the trick.

Darrell I see in your signature you say you've owned the Riv since 86. I own a Valiant my Grandmother bought new in 68, and I still say I'm the original owner. Of course when she bought it I was 7 months old. One might say I "owned" the car a lot earlier, as I took care of it as much as I could for many years.

No telling what tonight has in store. Whatever it is I'll give it my Delta best. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Seeing my oldest kid finally happy,my husband and I support her.It is with my daughter Alley whom is transgendered.Came out yesterday that she was going to start living her new life as female today.I knew she was not happy during her childhood once my son.Alley and I hugged this morning telling me thanks for the support.
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:28 PM

Good Morning.

Insurance guy could call today.. Just curious to know how much they pay for my car.

Have a nice friday everyone.
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:32 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Eyes flew open at 2:30 this morning. No reason for it I can come up with. Gonna be a long day. Hopefully the new sign for the shop will be delivered this afternoon.

Spose to snow Monday. But this weekend is still spose to be ok. Gonna be in the 60's today then around 0 next week.

Lady, Good luck with the hubs surgery.

Have a day all.
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:38 AM

Now that the BReaking BAd marathon is over, I can get sum sleep

Headed to a friends house in the mountains fer New Year's

No service, so I'll say Happy New Year Early

Lady, Did you ever watch Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman?

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Woke up this afternoon and it was bright sunshiny out. But cold as a mother. Cold last night at work, too. And I gotta tell you I don't much care for it.

Work was a challenge last night. Everything fought me every step of the way. I did learn a couple things so all was not lost. Night 3 is upon us.

Anybody know of a good way to clean grout? Someone used white grout in my kitchen and now it is all yucky looking. Can I dig some of it out and regrout over it? Or maybe just paint it?

Ah it's that time again. Good Thursday evening to you all.
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Taught my 17 year old daughter's boyfriend something and he learned very well.Asked me about what certain items are called in Canada,Told him a 24 pack of beer is called a 2-4 which is a case of beer with 24 pieces in it.It included a few more words including my favorite word Eh which is the Canadian way of saying huh.I like that he has respect for my Canadian accent.He seen my love of Labatt Blue Beer,my favorite Canadian beer brand.Said it is his dad's favorite brand of beer too and I thought that was cool.Said his parents do want to meet my husband and I,husband and I said tommorrow
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:19 AM

Good afternoon. Just a quick visit.

Received my car today. Like it alot. Despite it isnt Jaguar.. And its Japanese..
Currently heating sauna, then we eat well, shoot few fireworks, look movies etc.

Have a good year-changing everyone!
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:33 AM

https://www.facebook.com/HuffPostAlberta/videos/1329947287030687/
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:35 AM

That one's for Allan!
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:00 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy (slightly early) New Year to Olds friends! Everybody be real careful driving and take it easy with the elbow-bends.