The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Mawn'in

Cool and clear but spose to get colder soon

London, I'm still try'in to follow wtf is going on. You're a brit, married to a spanish lady, buying a house inn Spain Right? So why in the wild wild world or sports do you have a Russian Real-estae agent

John, FB is it's own desease IMHO

Mike, Where do you plan on taking that 1/2 roll of film to get developed?

Welp, my honey do list awaits tackleing

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Captain Starfire

Happity Humpity

No rain, but a tad cooler in da' hills. It will struggle to make it to 50 today. Spose to have some "wintry precip" here by weekend, but I'll be about 600 mi. south... so unaffected.

Mike, somebody gave me a "disposable camera" whilst I was working at the World's Fair in N.O. in '84. I used half the pic's on it, and the camera sat in a dresser drawer for 10-15 yrs. So one day I decided one day to waste some money and have the roll developed just for kicks. Sure enough, the images were a tad grainy, but recognizable: Me & my buddies in the Italian Village eating lunch at the World's Fair.

Whelpt, y'all have a great one, Olds friends.
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold, but the rain is gone. Couldn't tell by what the weatherman was spewing if we're going to get snow or rain this weekend. I'm sure he doesn't know for sure.

Jamesbo I'll take it to Walmart. They have a big camera center still. Maybe I'll take some pictures of the place and then snail mail them to you. That isn't old fashioned in any way. John I have a disposable one sitting here, too. I think the pictures on it are Amphicar parts. I'll use it up with more parts and have it developed, too.

London sounds like I have a new place to think about visiting. Let me know when you close on your place and I'll come visit.

Ah it's my Monday. All the holiday stuff is over and it's back to business as usual. The next big amount of time off will be March when I head Down Under.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Hump Day. See you's all later.
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Good afternoon.

Nothing new. First time this year for cooking with my wood-heated oven.
Takes its time to heat and watch carefully to not burn things, but as a return, amazing meat-foods comes from there.

Tomorrow is free day for most workers, so long weekend with fiancee. Gonna do something nice.

Have a nice day everyone!
Old January 5th, 2017, 06:21 AM

cold and spose to snow dis weekend

My honey do list is growing faster than I can check things off. Before the ink dries on yesterday's it's added to

I think I need a trip to de Keys

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:31 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Hello everyone.

1st time post in this thread - thought I would take a chance and earn my stripe.

Like Jamebo, our neck of the woods will be part of the southern snowpocolypse this weekend. Since the only snowplows in our county were dispatched to the WNC Mtns during the November forest fires and haven't returned, I'll be available with tow chains on the 5 ton and on the lookout for wayward Oldsmobiles in ditches.

Be safe little ones!
Old January 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM

Hey, and Welcome to the asylum

Are you anywhere near Brevard
Old January 5th, 2017, 01:11 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

'Tween Brevard and Charlotte.
Old January 5th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Always room for one more

Now we're talkin' !!!

Hi everyone.

Welcome btw. Love the 5-ton! I have an M35A2C that I loved driving. Until electrical problems came up and sidelined it. The guy I bought it from had it parked between several 5-tons and it looked like a dwarf.

Been nice two days in a row. I actually need bread and milk at home but don't dare go to the store. If there's any left it would be a knock down free for all. Here's a trivia question. Does anyone know what chairs and snowstorms have in common in Chicago?

Work was okay last night. Expect about the same tonight. I swear we have the rattiest trucks in my department. We make more money than any other airline, why can't we spring for a couple new trucks now and then? Well, they'd be Fords so I guess it doesn't matter.

Damn Brian I love that truck. Everyone have a good evening. One more(two for me) and it's the weekend.
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:46 PM

Good Morning.

Slantflat- Sorry i dont know whats common with them even i live there

btw - Welcome. Cool truck for sure!

Freaking cold outside. Not going to open the door today if possible at all.

Have a good friday everyone.
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:22 AM

Headed norte, Wish me luck
Old January 6th, 2017, 05:42 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by CQR
Mike, no. No crane. I just had the wife help me get it up on the roof. This is a lot lighter than the old sign. This is made of a high density foam and backed with 1/2" plywood. It's 10 feet by 4 feet.

Here you go Jamesbo...

Mornin folks,

Clint, love the look of your business! It is refreshing to see..

Mike, have you done any work to your Vista? I picked up a 69....

Anybody have any awesome recipes for shrimp?

Picked up another Supreme yesterday. I think I will give mine a companion. Dropping in a fresh 455 (70) into it..geeze, I went to buy rims ...

Have a day all...
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Sammy, Google "Grits a ya ya" Shrimp, smoked gouda cheesem grits, bacon, onion, spinach mushrooms. It's to die for
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Here I am at work pretty early. All I heard from the news was gloom and doom so decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to hit the road. It's raining but not freezing. Yet.

Ted I tinker on the Vista from time to time. Every time I go out to it I find a new problem. Things that have me stumped so far are a smoking voltage regulator and no brakes.

Jamesbo does the lake up there ever freeze over?

Well tonight should be interesting. Hope everyone in the bad weather areas stays safe. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:33 AM

Good Morning. Heavy snow-raining again. More snow-works.. Promises to snow another 8 hours still.. Gah......

Still just spending time inside 4 walls. Not too interested to do anything else.

Currently im not even interested about going to build my car. For starters, the garage is freakin cold now, maybe ~48F, and for second, ive almost used all my spare money i had for building it this winter, thanks to broken pinion which required new gear-set, bad axle-shaft, had to buy new ones, and to top this all, my car which got junked. ALOT of not foreseen expenses, and alot of $ used which wasnt planned.
Wondering if i should leave the trans-work for next winter. Im sure it also needs some investments i havent foreseen yet.
And then im at risk to not get it ready until ~mid summer.
Needless to say, motivation = 0 currently.

Have a nice weekend everyone, btw.

And good luck for you Jamesbo for north.
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:41 AM

Mawn'in

Got a few inches of the white stuff

Inline, You'd laugh your a$$ off if you saw that a few inches in the south paraliizes the whole city

Mike, Nope never. Actually most winters they let it down so people can work on their docks and sea walls. They didn't this year becuase of the drought in the late fall

Had to run up there [and back] yesterday to meet with Ga. Power about getting a new boat house permit for a lot we're selling in our subdivision. PITA but the meeting went fine.

Speaking of walls, John, reminnd me to tell you the story of my custom built wooden ice box fridge that I apid 2 grand to have built 10 years ago. I'm still waiting

Sammy, PLEASE try the shrimp and cheese grits { a ya ya] It's the best thing I ever ate

Have a great day Olds friends

Well Inline and I have sumthing in common today, we're both snowed in
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin folks,

0 degrees here this am.

Changed out the tires and rims on the vista yesterday. All ready to go to the grocery store in the Spring..lol

Mike, glad u still have it. When a voltage regulator or horn relay start to smoke, I get new ones. I do not attempt to fix them...lol.....what's up with the brakes?

Inline...keep on trucking. Rome was not built in a day.

James of, what a great bunch of recipes...ty for the link!. My wife and I are going to try, just need to find out where I can get some grits....not popular here..

Time to stoke up the fire...have a good one
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:31 AM

http://www.noramill.com/
Old January 7th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Captain Starfire

Mite chilly deep in the heart of Dixie... 'twas 26 after daybreak. Unfortunately, the wind blew off the top of the well house last night and the pump froze up; had to go out there with the hair dryer & drop light at dawn. Shoulda' put gloves on! Fingers were numb when I was done.

Jamesbo, sorry to hear of the ice box. I guess everybody gets taken one time or another. If this is the worst that will ever happen, we'll be fortunate.

The one time Better Half & I went lollygagging in Helen, we went to Nora Mill and bought some grits, flour, etc. and enjoyed both the visit and foods thoroughly. Sammy, you'll be buying the best of the best!

Mike, any chance of being the Big Kahoona again?

Sorry you's guys in the Great White of North America and Europa have this deep freeze. The M.I.L. is in single digits in Peoria & Gene in N.MI is flirting with 0.

Inline, you've come a long way, and you're young! You seem very driven to get that car 100% the way you want it, so it'll get there before you know it. (I'm envious!) Enjoy your brewskis & sauna. BTW, I've been reading up (and viewing) about Finland during WWII and you guys have a lot to be proud of! Is all of your generation aware of the valiant fight you put up? I'd hope so.... But most of the "kids" over here aren't too up on exactly what went on in WWII.... shame. And I was among that number until relatively recently. But better late than never.

Y'all stay warm, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 7th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 7th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Sorry you's guys in the Great White of North America and Europa have this deep freeze. The M.I.L. is in single digits in Peoria & Gene in N.MI is flirting with 0.
Yep, a bit nippy the last few days with plenty of snow blowin' about, but it will hit 40° or so Monday and Tuesday before cooling down again. One day closer to spring.
Old January 7th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Good evening.

1hr 45mins of snow-work. Im telling you, if i would be in real work, ie. over the year, i would be buying snow-blower instead of doing it by hand.
Sauna is heating, some beer at fridge, then looking movie with fiancee.. Quality time at its best. Sauna is great Place btw to make sausages, put them in folio-paper and put on Stones. Really good "steam-cooked" sausage.
Then some potato-salad with them, and todays dinner is ready.
While waiting for sauna, im taking some quality Conjac, Remy-Martin Cellar 16

Jamesbo - Im even a bit sorry to tell this, but here at the news-papers ( trash-ones) internet-sites, videos of mostly americans with their cars at snow are great fun around here. Every winter they post them. Imo those are trash-news.

I quess everyones laughing their ***-off to our prime-minister, which as i heard and read, was reported through-out the world when he tried to quiet down our national (!) radio/tv-station, fund by us, tax-payers.

Sammy - Thanks, i believe i eventually will get my itch back.

Bee-Oh-Pee - Thanks for you too.

Oh, you dont want to get started about speaking of it! Im a great fan of war-history. Fan sounds a bit absurd when talking about wars, but i dont know a better word for it, im sure you understand what i mean. And yes, im really proud of our doing at WW2.
My grandmother from fathers side, is from lost Karelia, where she was born, but had to move with her mom due to losing it to Russia.
And fathers dad was war-child who was sent to Sweden away from war-going country. His father died at war.

Theres even more at Finland at ww2, which many dont realise at all. There was our civil-war at just a 20 years earlier between reds and whites, which created an big gap between our nation, yet still everyone united to war-effort.

Dont judge me for saying this, but our questionable alliation with ****-Germany, was the only right move at the situation we were facing. Many black-mails us for joining them, without getting into facts why were we pushed to that direction, and also about the deepness of that alliation.
Its just not that black-and-white that "we were their allies". But we also payed for that too, which was actually shame, but was forced.

Interesting fact: Did you know that ****-Germanys first prototybe U-boot was build at Finland? When they were prohibited to build their fleet, and before they singed off from all treatys.

Other interesting fact: Im not sure about current situation, but while ago, Finland was the ONLY country at world who had payed their war-depths out. In our case to Russia / Soviet Union. We also paid to you!
http://www.finland.org/public/defaul...&culture=en-US

There are some "great stories", most known one, is battle of Tali-Ihantala 44'. You should read about it. But there are many more, thats just the most known one. Like every other country has their most memorable moment.

To other question, sadly no. Fins have pretty much forgotten their roots already, just after one generation. Which is sad. Veterans are thankfully still remembered, and our current president ranks them really high. First time in my life we have president to be proud of, even at other aspects.
And really many dont even know the facts what happened, just like at you.
Which is pretty sad too.

From our part of the ww2, im interested also about it generally, and ww1 too.
WW1 is somehow even more interesting, due to fact there wasnt obvious "evil". Politics behind whole ww1 are really really interesting, and the outcome too. And one thing which goes for both wars. History ( mainstream and publicly accepted) is always, always written by winners. So take some grain of salt with you always, when reading about them. Hard facts stay facts, but many nyances and presumptions are coloured by winners

If you ever want to ask something, or talk about it, just pm me. I dont bother to write here all, it would take pages and would be irrevelant to this topic.

Oh, fiancee shouted that sauna is ready and beer is cold! See ya!

Last edited by Inline; January 7th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Would some please ask Inline how his fiance knows the sauna's ready
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Ah i just came back and i can tell you the answer. Temp was 160F, so it was ready.
160F is the "common" temperature at sauna, but varies between everyone likings from about 150F to 170F. I personally like the 160F-170F as a sweet spot. I can tell you that this did feel like a heaven on earth on cold winter-evening. And once in a while going to take a new beer from snow

Last edited by Inline; January 7th, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:47 PM

Would some please ask Inline how his fiance knows the sauna's ready
I was gonna say because his sausage is done!!
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
i was gonna say because his sausage is done!!:d
:d:d:d:d
Old January 7th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a miserable night last night. Planes were deicing all night long. I can only imagine how delayed some of those people were. Things were okay(meaning only rain) until around 3 when it actually got below freezing. I could have stayed and either went to a hotel or kept working, I opted to go home. About half way home I thought maybe I should have thought harder. Well, got home okay, -some- of the roads were treated with the solution the city is so proud of. The trick will be getting back tonight since it didn't get above freezing today. No snow, though.

Jamesbo getting the new board to lower our lake is like pulling teeth. They think it will never fill up again. Supposedly the lake is going down now, and will be down until spring. Looks the same to me. If it does go down I will spend every waking minute on my wall because I won't have another chance for years.

John I haven't been The Chosen One lately nor does it look like that duty will be calling any time soon. The "leadership team" is all wrapped up in other projects and trying hard to make them work. That's okay. I'd like to be in charge again but there's plenty of time for that.

Ted I can't get the back brakes to bleed. I rebuilt the master with no help. I have some valve that lives under the master that I haven't put in yet. The regulator smokes until I unplug it. No light on the dash though. I put in a new reg and it still smokes. I did swap covers so it still looks original. Next stop new alternator. Also have to figure out why the back window won't go down.

Okay gonna hit the road. It's early but might need the additional time. Seems the radio stations are overloaded with traffic reports when I want to hear music, but when I need a traffic report there are none. Wish me luck.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Always room for one more

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. No ice on the roads anywhere and it was a normal drive into work.
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:52 PM

slantflat - Good to hear you made it safe.

And good Morning foe everyone.

1969W3155 - Good joke

Sunday.. Temps are up again, ~20F. And no more snow rained during night, which is good. I think i will play with my friends today, its fiancees cleaning day so i might aswell keep out of way.

Have a nice sunday everyone!
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:11 AM

Mawn'in

Mike, I think you're just far south enough to avoid the mess

Refroze up here with plenty of black ice

John, I sure hope ya nailed down the well house roof good

Inline, I'm kinda a WW II buff also but I can promise ya children in Europe know a whole lot more than kids in the states.

A few years ago, I made a trip to some place in Europe Bastogne, Arhnem, Normandy etc. When I went to book thru a travel agent, she had no idea of why I wanted to go to such places

Well, I'll be back cause I ain't going any where today

Enjoy your day Olds friends
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got off work ridiculously early this morning and came home and laid awake for a couple hours and said screw it, and got up and went to Awful house. Now I have the whole day ahead of me, it will be like having an extra day off. Unless of course I get tired in the middle of the day and fall asleep.

Aside from the cold, things are pretty much back to normal on this side of town. Planes are still deicing but that's normal. If I had enough firewood at the ready I'd have the stove going all day. But it is frozen because it hadn't dried out from when it rained last week. I need to get a kiln and put out back so I can season my firewood on an accelerated basis.

Well I need to find something to do. If it gets above 20 this afternoon I might go over to the shop. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old January 8th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Captain Starfire

Got down to 22* last nite (our low is Inline's high!), so there's a definite nip in d'air.

I agree w/ Jamesbo on the knowledge of WWII history (and history in general) amongst our youthful population. I just heard that some college on these shores has dropped its requirement for American History for HISTORY MAJORS! Ain't sayin' much for the non-history majors. In da' day (my day), any B.A. required a full year (6 hrs) of U.S. History. And God help poor Western Civ. I think that now it's pretty much gone by the wayside.

I also have to say that my history education up until college pretty much sucked. We had it from the 4th grade up, and it was generally horrific. Just memorizing facts, with teachers who had no business being teachers (but that also applies to a few other subjects I was "subjected" to).

Inline, y'all were caught, as they say, "...between the devil and the deep blue sea," quite literally! Anybody who sees how the sides lined up is fairly embarrassed by the U.S. alliance with Stalin and the USSR. But what choices do you really have? As they usually say about politics, "(War) makes strange bedfellows." It was a struggle for your existence -- and a struggle for ours. After the war, the Allied's found the formerly-secret plans for how the ****'s were going to occupy and govern the U.S. once invaded. A few chips falling one way or the other can make a huge difference.

Anyhoots, enough of that for now. It's office clean-up day for me, since I'm too timid to go out into the garage today.

So who's rootin' for what teams today? Sorry the Lions were routed, Dan. I was pullin' for them; but that ain't saying much, since they were playing Pete Carroll, who I sometimes wish would choke on his gum.

Y'all have a warm weekend, Olds buddies.

p.s.: anybody looking for a decent looking '65 SF w/ Buick wheels?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Oldsmob...m=182415037163

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 8th, 2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:01 PM

Well John, I was embarrassed by their performance, catch the ball fer cryin' out loud! The highways are as slick as cat sh@t on a tile floor. I watched (in my rearview mirror) as an SUV trying to merge onto the highway this morning, lost it and went WHOOMP into the snow covered ditch, my co-worker who arrived at work about ten minutes later, said that she was still there, and on her cell phone. Yesterday I was on the same stretch going southbound this time, and lost count of the tire tracks headed into either the median or ditch on the other side of the highway. We have a stretch of highway that runs about five miles, that crosses the river flats, and at this time of year when it gets into the teens, it turns into a skating rink. Gotta slow down.
Old January 8th, 2017, 08:52 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Was out shoveling about a foot of snow we weren't supposed to get, according to the weatherman anyway. It was 22 today and about the same tomorrow before it warms up.

Watched the NFL playoffs today, glad my Steelers won. Not surprised that the Packers ran over the Giants, right now they seem unstoppable.

Inline - I can tell you my wife is a history teacher and she drills it into her kids heads. I'm not sure if that's the case all over America since it seems like a lot of them don't remember much about it. The schools are too busy emphasizing Math and English so, sadly, it is not a priority.

Dan -I was rooting for the Lions to win, would be nice to see them break their streak of no playoff wins. Thought that they could do it this year.

Well, have a good night all, heading off to bed.
Old January 9th, 2017, 01:57 AM

Morning.

New week. Little vacation inside vacation this week, thursday evening- saturday mid-day at Cruise, and days visit at Stockholm, Sweden. Dad gave me free Cruise, since he bribed his customers at christmas with so many bottles bought from that ship, that ferry line gave him 2 free cruises for up to 4 persons per ticket

Gotta do some snow-work, and fix fiancees bicycle. I think thats all today?
I'll try my best not to get exhausted

OLD SKL 69 - Oh my- god bless the teachers childs

Have a nice week everyone!

E: Happy Birthday Jamesbo!

Last edited by Inline; January 9th, 2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Happy Birthday Jamesbo! Many happy returns of the day. I always remember your birthday because it's the same as my ex-girlfriend's. By the way, I like you better.

I did pretty good yesterday functioning until around 430. All of a sudden I had to sit down before I fell down. I was so tired. So I went to bed. At 430! Slept real good until 10, got up had something to eat, and then laid in bed wide awake all frickin' night. So up before the chickens today. I'm not going to do that again.

Darrell snow is the gift that keeps on giving. As soon as you get the driveway cleared out the plow will come and bury it.

My knowledge of WWII is pretty much what they were driving. Oddly enough I don't remember ever talking about the vehicles in history class. Actually we never talked about WWII. Every year we had to start class at the dawn of time. I swear I was the world's expert on the Continental Congress. The school year would end before we ever got to a time with electricity. One time in 7th grade I asked the teacher why we didn't talk about something a little more contemporary, like WWII, and she said I'm so glad you're interested in that. Guess what, we still never talked about it.

We got any structural engineer types here? Got a question I don't think I've asked before.

Okay gonna get ready and hit the Awful house. Might get really wild and have a waffle. Hope everyone's week starts out good.
Old January 9th, 2017, 05:46 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo. HFB!

Sammy thanks. I need to head in and see if the sign is still attached. 40mph winds with 70 mph gusts. But it is warm. about 55f so it's been melting all night.

Have a day.
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:20 AM

Mawn'in

Tanks gang fer de berfday wishes. If I'd knowed I was gonna live this long I woulda taken better care of myself

Mike, Funny you should mention Capricorn women. I can't stand them

So, fer my berfday, I gonna do sum more plumbing Actually attempt sum more plumbing

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin all..

Don't get me going about the lack of history in our schools!

Clint, hopefully the sign made it thru..

Happy bday Jamesbo!..I bought a present to help me celebrate
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Captain Starfire

BDH, Jamesbo~! (That's Happy Birthday for dyslexic's.)

I'm not going to ask what HFB means, Clint; but I think I'm blushing.

I never did put any stock in any woman's (or man's, for that matter) "sign." Maybe that's why I didn't get married 'til I was 35 y.o.

Sammy, OK.. I'm done.

Headed to B.R. today in the chill; but it's spose to warm up to 60 later, then get near 80 by weekend. The roller-coaster of the Southern climes continues.

Did everybody tune into the Golden Globes last night and get Meryl Streep's homily du jour? I didn't think so.

Y'all have a great Monday, Olds pals.
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:58 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

I would love to be driving across Lake Pontchartrain right now and hanging out on its shores at Mandeville.....and eating some kind of awesome shrimp dish!