The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2016, 01:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Saturday kind of day to everyone, and last day of 2016. I know it's not really any different in terms of a year, but this one has been so chock full of bad things happening that have grabbed the front page, or lit up the medias. I pray that 2017 will be a year of peace and tranquility by comparison.

Jim - Not sure what you mean. I used to have that avatar long ago. Seemed about time to change it back. And no, I'm not putting a jinx on my favorite of all - Sean Connery. I love watching his movies.

Dan - That's spectacular. The icekeepers at the Saville would have my nards if I cut a hole in the ice to play that game. Funny as hell though.

Inline - Thanks for the clarification. I do that too when I'm posting stuff here. It makes it easier for everyone to understand when we just talk one language. If it was a Canadian/European forum we would be talking Celsius, KM, and Kg, etc. You're already enjoying your 2017 start with a bang from the sounds of it.

John - My best regards to you and your missus sir! Captain Starfire would be proud of ya.

Clint - I hate days like that. It's even worse trying to get back to sleep cause it won't happen. I like the look of that new sign. It means you're going to be there for more than a few more years to come?

Mike - Cleaning grout 101. It's too much of a PITA to try and dig it out and re-grout, plus you might end up breaking tiles. Have you tried going over it with a hot bleach solution? It's spoda kill mold and remove that other crap that accumulates. I'm sure you've googled how to clean grout and found a lot of good suggestions. A lot of the products shown list the active ingredient as bleach. It's the popular choice to clean up biological spills like blood too because it also disinfects. So don't cut yerself shaving in the shower anymore.

Oldslady - Eh? What's huh? Just as a reminder we say huh up here too - as in "Huh? Why do I have leftover parts from fixing the car?" It's just that Eh is more a colloquial way of talking. It's comparable to geographic phrases like 'out n about', 'fogedaboudit', 'ummm', and the popular OMG, JK, LMAO acronyms of the millenials.

Wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2017!
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:46 PM
Always room for one more

Happy New Year everyone.

The fireworks started just before 6 this evening. Gunshots were quick to follow. It's been rainy and yucky all day so that sort of behavior should be lessened. But not totally erased.

Funny, even at this late date my first thought isn't always to go look at the internet. I've always tried to keep the caustic stuff off the floor so the dogs wouldn't get into it. One of many things that will continue to crop up in the near future. I bet I could find something at work that will make quick work of that grout. Probably some things that will dissolve it and I won't have to dig it out. If it just comes clean I'll be happy.

Neighbors invited me over for dinner, but it's time for work. So I'll stop in to say howdy and be on my way. Shouldn't be too bad of a night, though New Years is never the big deal that Christmas is. Not sure too many flights are cancelled.

Okay whoop it up and be careful everyone. See you's next year!
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, the sad part of cleaning is most everything has some amount of caustic chemicals.

Just thought of something. Maybe oxi clean powder mixed into a weak paste will do the trick too. It works great getting stains off clothes.

Hope work treats you right on New Year's Eve. I wonder how busy the airlines are on these special days when everyone is spoda be home visiting with family and friends.
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:48 AM

Good Morning. Seems like everyone's now at 2017.

Crazy amount of rockets were fired. We shoot few too. Fiancee bought them.
Im too cheap to waste my money to rockets, but oh wait, Cutlass needs another 1000$? Sure, when and where can i pay

Allan R - Never thought of it, but now when you sayed it, im a bit surprised Canadians use same units as we in Europe. Speaking of Canada, i would like to travel to Nova Scotia some day. It just looks so beautiful place.

Well, have a good 2017 everyone! Ill hope too we get better news this year than past year.

Last edited by Inline; January 1st, 2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy 2017 to all.

Inline, Canada has been on the metric system since 1976. We also do gasoline / petrol in Liters. Gubment here just slapped us with a carbon tax few hours ago which hiked our fuel prices by 4.5¢/L. Needless to say that's not popular. It also costs more to heat the house with natural gas. We might have to look into heating it with a sauna...
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:49 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

All the best in 2017! May not post, but always drop in to see the news
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:26 AM

Well, take a while now and then to post something

Allan R - How much does lowest grade gasoline cost at you per litre? At US $?

Here it is currently approx 1.44$/ litre / 5.44$ per US gallon.
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It depends where you live in Canada. Here in Alberta we pay on average $115/L , or $4.35/US gal. In Vancouver they pay around $136/L or 5.14/US gal. Eastern Canada is hit and miss for pricing because they don't have the carbon tax- yet so some of them are paying less than us who produce the oil in the first place.

A Canadian gallon is 4.5 L so we pay locally 5.17/gallon

How much of your fuel is taxes?
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
It depends where you live in Canada. Here in Alberta we pay on average $115/L , or $4.35/US gal. In Vancouver they pay around $136/L or 5.14/US gal. Eastern Canada is hit and miss for pricing because they don't have the carbon tax- yet so some of them are paying less than us who produce the oil in the first place.

A Canadian gallon is 4.5 L so we pay locally 5.17/gallon

How much of your fuel is taxes?
Checked, currently lovable ~66% of price is taxes. Just checked from our national petroleum & biofuels association.
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
All the best in 2017! May not post, but always drop in to see the news
He just wants sum new recipes
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:24 AM

Well finally, a quiet New Years without non stop fireworks and gunfire. A much quieter neighborhood.
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Inline
Allan R - How much does lowest grade gasoline cost at you per litre? At US $?
Here it is currently approx 1.44$/ litre / 5.44$ per US gallon.
I kind of screwed up on my calculations Inline. I gave you the $Canadian price for fuel. If you wanted it in $US, our price per liter here would be $1.15 x (US Exchange today = 1.34) so that would be $1.51 / L where I live, or $5.82 US/gal. In other words - about the same as you. Other parts of Canada, as mentioned it's way more expensive.

This is for 87 octane fuel. The increment increases on 89 octane and 94 octane is legal robbery. Diesel, which is a much less refined fuel costs just a bit less than 87 octane. I understand some parts of Europe are moving away from diesel fuel entirely.
Old January 1st, 2017, 08:25 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
He just wants sum new recipes
Yup...lol
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:31 PM

I kind of screwed up on my calculations Inline. I gave you the $Canadian price for fuel. If you wanted it in $US, our price per liter here would be $1.15 x (US Exchange today = 1.34) so that would be $1.51 / L where I live, or $5.82 US/gal. In other words - about the same as you. Other parts of Canada, as mentioned it's way more expensive.

This is for 87 octane fuel. The increment increases on 89 octane and 94 octane is legal robbery. Diesel, which is a much less refined fuel costs just a bit less than 87 octane. I understand some parts of Europe are moving away from diesel fuel entirely.
Okay, sounds about the same. Ill quess your using US system ( R+M/2) for octane ratings? We use just RON. But following numbers are on your (R+M/2).

Lowest grade here is 90,7 octane, and then the better is 93.5 Then there are "special" blends which are advertised just 94.5+.
Theres just about 0,10$ difference per litre on 90.7oct vs 93.5oct. Those "special 94.5+ blends are usually ~0.15$ over 90.7oct.
Oh and we have also E85. It means that minimum of 85% of it is ethanol. Octane rating somewhere around ~105 (!)- and its only 2/3 price of cheapest 90.7oct gas (!!!!!!!).
If this would be available over Europe, i would convert my Cutlass for it straight away. Now i cant if i want to travel with it.

And for diesel-cars, diesel is same as you, just a hint lower than lowest grade.
And yes, some big cities are prohibiting their use at their centrums. And more are planning for that.

Well, good Morning everyone. Cold weather is coming back. Hrrr.... Promising under zero fahrenheits for this week.
Today i go buy my new ring&pinion, and wait for insurance companys call. They better pay good. It was just driven in

Have a nice monday.

Last edited by Inline; January 1st, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:37 AM

Just spent 10 mins doing the conversion and we pay $5.62 for a US gallon for our cheapest unleaded fuel. Diesel is actually 5% more expensive.
I just Googled it and we have the second cheapest fuel before tax in the EU but the fifth most expensive fuel after tax. Currently we pay 71% tax on our fuel.

Got back from the sunshine of Spain last night to replace it with the sunshine of London, but here it's really cold, High 30s.

Are Spanish real estate agents the worst in Europe?
After showing us a great villa at the right price I was prepared to pay the full asking price so as I was on the phone to them I noticed in the sales details that the pictures didn't look too familiar. They had shown us the wrong villa which was 50% over my budget. Idiots no wonder I fell in love with it. I suppose I will have to go back at some point.

Last edited by LondonCutlass; January 2nd, 2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:27 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Gonna head into work today and get the sign hung on the building. I had to make up a bracket for it. and then paint it and then glue it and screw it. Really want to get it done today since the weather tanks tonight.

And I complain when fuel gets to $2.50/gal.

Got me new health insurance just in time. not the plan we want but we have so few to choose from anymore.

Have a day.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:41 AM

Too wet to go smack whitey today

London, that's the ole Spanish bait and switch

Clint, Let's see a pic of your new sign

John's not speak'in this mawn'in. He's gone into mourning.

Sammy, What cha like to cook/eat?

Allan, Inline, I can't keep up with your figgering. Why bother with such mundane things, If it were 30 bucks a gallon you'd still pay it and cruise in your Olds

GTG

Have a great YEAR Olds friends
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan, Inline, I can't keep up with your figgering. Why bother with such mundane things, If it were 30 bucks a gallon you'd still pay it and cruise in your Olds
Havent you heard about the study, where they found out that human as a person, is ( "secretly" ) more happier when someone has things worse than yourself? So im a bit happier now when i heard Allan has to pay more from his fuel But dont tell anyone, its a secret

For real, out of interest atleast from my side.

LondonCutlass - Lol, they really are trying everything. Good you didnt buy it without looking it twice! Gonna use same agents?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:30 AM

Inline. The only good thing about using the same agent is the thigh length leather boots and mini skirt, not that I noticed of course, and the long blonde hair and perfect proportions, but like I said I didn't notice!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It rained all day yesterday and looks like more of the same today. Slept late yesterday afternoon, didn't do squat all day, went to bed early, and couldn't sleep. So of course I finally got to sleep around 5 and then overslept and missed my friends at the Awful house.

Clint good luck with the sign. Is this a huge sign you have to use a crane for? How cool would that be.

London does Spain not get cold? Never really thought about visiting Spain, what's there to do there?

Gas prices here in the Greater Stockbridge Area are 2.24 . Last week, when I had a full tank, they were 2.07 and now that I need gas it's way up. I can wait a couple days and it should come back down a few cents, now that the holiday season is over.

So inside stuff today. I might go get tires for the car if I can find some I like. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:57 AM

Well, back to work today, many of my friends have today off, so I guess that they will watch the bowl games. Gas here was about 2.30 a gal. last week, but went up yesterday as new taxes were added, and apparently according to the local news, so that the local stations can make a profit, as they indicated that many were selling it at a loss. So, we are at $2.59 a gal. this morning.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:01 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin' (barely), all... Overcast & muggy in da' hills. Yeah, it was a fitting end to the season for the Boys in Black. Too little too late. Pretty pathetic display... Jamesbo, you play golf way better than the defense played football yesterday. Gotta' give the devil his due, however, and say that ol' Julio is one righteous football player.

Y'all have a great day & New Year, Olds friends.

p.s.: I don't check the humor threads, so forgive me if this is a rerun!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:05 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Nice to see again!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:19 AM
Always room for one more

Dan I've heard more than once that gas stations make little or nothing on the actual fuel, where they make their money is the store. Soda and coffee and roller food etc are their money makers. And I suppose they get a cut of lottery money.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:44 AM

I think John has de right idear about starting the New Year off on a positive note
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:02 PM
CQR

Mike, no. No crane. I just had the wife help me get it up on the roof. This is a lot lighter than the old sign. This is made of a high density foam and backed with 1/2" plywood. It's 10 feet by 4 feet.

Here you go Jamesbo...

Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:43 PM

Cool sign Clint, Looks like a fancy place. Do you serve tea outside? Seeing how you're in Colorado, what cha got planted out front?

Now do ya have any pics of the wife helping ya up on the roof
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:21 PM

Having a great day and did shock my co workers and boss a little bit today.Had this OMG look seeing my new hairstyle,dreadlocks.They thought I looked good.A patient's 12 year old son thought my Canadian accent is cool and asked me what my favorite word is.Told him it is Eh a lot.Then I had to tell a high school athlete his wrestling season is over,was complaining about foot pain in his left foot.His regular doctor refered him to me.I saw a couple bones broken and told him it requires surgery.Was bummed a little bit and understands.Then checked on my 2012 Camaro,I smoke the clutch in it very well and it was replaced including the flywheel.Plus an upgraded shifter was installed.Learned my 2017 Camaro which is on order was started to be built today.Said it may come in a few weeks
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:46 PM
Captain Starfire

Way cool sign, Clint... I woosh I was closer; I would get you to do the work on the GS for me.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:16 PM

Good Morning.

Cold. Going to cycle with my fiancee to work, then head back home. To make some tasty bacon. Bacon and egg at cold mornings are best.

Nice sign CQR!

Nice tuesday for everyone!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:31 PM

John, that's funny. Clint, the sign looks good, goes with your cool building. Olds98lady, I'm jealous.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:15 AM

Mawnin

Rain moving out an unseasonably warm

Letmesee, Things I'm waiting on

Pics of London's hot real-estate agent

Clint's wife helping him onto the roof

Inline finding grits for his hang over

Pics of Mike's stable

On yeah, John's wall
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:54 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Lady whats the specs on your new Camaro?

Thanks all. It was still up there this mornin. So far so good.

Nothin of her up there but here she is measuring the old sign.

Have a Tuesday.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning
Lots of peeps back to work today. Still pretty quiet overall though.

Hey inline, do you measure your temp in °C? How does -26 grab ya?

Jim, when we say we're going to go whack whitey here we mean going out to shovel...

Good day to stay warm inside.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:41 AM

Good morning
Lots of peeps back to work today. Still pretty quiet overall though.

Hey inline, do you measure your temp in °C? How does -26 grab ya?

Jim, when we say we're going to go whack whitey here we mean going out to shovel...

Good day to stay warm inside.
Yes we use celsiuses. Sounds familiar.
How does it grab ya that when last winter we had under -30, we couldnt get our bedroom past +12c even without 2000W worth of batteries. ~28m2 bedroom.
Old house And around ~+15c at downstairs with wooden oven used to cook just to get heat, and fireplace hot all the time It was like an adventure Fiancee didnt rate it very high... Ive heard some people even pay to spend their vacation at cold places?

Got a call from insurance company. Got a good deal, got pretty much same as i would had got if i would have sold it when it was still intact, maybe even a hundred more. + The pain to sell old car. Actually i had already planned that after a year i would have just driven it to junkyard so i dont have to deal with all kind of beggers trying to buy your car for half the price even when asking price is "free"..

Jamesbo - Sorry, no pics. For starters, im not going to put them on my mouth ( ), and for second, im still young enough to beat even the baddest hang-over before evening

Gosh it rains heavily. I just did the snow-work, about 5-inches rained, and when i had completed my mansions yard ( takes 1.5 hour), there was already another 2 inch from where i started! And its promised to still rain for another 6-7 hours... Gah.....

Last edited by Inline; January 3rd, 2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:09 AM

Inline, I hate to brake it to ya.................all hangovers end at sun down
Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Saw a little bit of sun this morning. I didn't know what to think. It's gone away now.

Jamesbo you know I can't post pictures with my dinosaur phone. Maybe this will be the year I catch up with the rest of you and get the fancy phone. Eh, maybe not. I found my big camera hiding in the closet that still has half a roll of film to use. Wonder what's on the first half.

Clint what are you going to do with the old sign? What was the name of the place before you got it?

So last day off. Think I might go try to get a car stuck in the mud over at the shop. I haven't been over there in over a week. The Cadillac's battery will be unhappy. That car must have some sort of brain that constantly sucks power. If I leave it set for more than a week it doesn't want to start. New, known good battery. Who knows.

Okay have a good Tuesday everyone.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:51 PM
Captain Starfire

Hey, all... dank & muggy in da' hills, but no rain per se. It's saving up for our trip home. Didn't stop us from a 4-mile hike at Jackrabbit Mountain. The ground was a bit damp, but we had the entire area practically to ourselves.

Y'all have a great one, Olds pals. And here's a good one for my FB account:

Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:53 PM

Evening all

Mike. The weather in Spain is fine in the winter time in the south but cold everywhere else. The place to be for an English man is Puerto Banus and Marbella. It's like a mini UK but sunny. Great euro cars, Ferrari and Lamborghini Bentleys and Astons, also you get the odd Hellcat and classic Mustang.
Loads to do and see and the food is amazing, what's not to like about Spain. Well worth a visit.

Jamesbo. More than my life is worth risking a snap of the sexy Russian, my wife is Spanish and Spanish women are known for having a short fuse.

Back to work today - that sucks.
Old January 4th, 2017, 02:56 AM

Yea. Spanish womens. Joy to watch Im sure you know it since you have one!

And good day for everyone. Little late here vs. usual. So, it snowed yesterday after all total of ~8 inches of snow. Nothing else "exciting".