The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM

One missionary in Africa was apprehended by a tribe of very hostile cannibals who put him in a large pot of water, build a huge fire under it, and left him there. A few minutes later, one cannibal goes over to the man and starts beating him with the wooden spoon. The chief walks by and asks "Why are you beating him, he'll be dead in 5 minutes?" The cook answered "He ate all the potatoes!"
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Two cannibals, a father and son, were elected by the tribe to go out and get something to eat. They walked deep into the jungle and waited by a path. Before long, along came this little old man. The son said, "Oh dad, there's one."

"No," said the father. "There's not enough meat on that one to even feed the dogs. We'll just wait."

Well, a little while later, along came this really fat man. The son said, "Hey dad, he's plenty big enough."

"No," the father said. "We'd all die of a heart attack from the fat in that one. We'll just wait."

About an hour later, here comes this absolutely gorgeous woman. The son said, "Now there's nothing wrong with that one dad. Let's eat her."

"No," said the father. "We'll not eat her either."

"Why not?" asked the son.

"Because, we're going to take her back alive and eat your mother."
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Two cannibals just finished a big meal and one turns to the other while rubbing his stomach with his fist and say, "You know, I just ate my mother-in-law, and she still doesn't agree with me!"
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Last one, lunch..., lunch is almost over.

Two cannibals meet one day. The first cannibal says, "You know, I just can't seem to get a tender Missionary. I've baked them, I've roasted them, I've stewed them, I've barbecued them, I've tried every sort of marinade. I just can't seem to get them tender."
The second cannibal asks, "What kind of Missionary do you use?"
The other replied, "You know, the ones that hang out at that place at the bend of the river. They have those brown cloaks with a rope around the waist and they're sort of bald on top with a funny ring of hair on their heads."
"Ah, ha!" the second cannibal replies. "No wonder ... those are FRIARS!"
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM

That reminds me of the cannibal that passed his friend in the woods.
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh God, you guys! I didn't know there were that many cannibal jokes, lol! Blue..... see what ya started!

Jamesbo.... I forgot to tell you that the daffodils are coming up already! I was surprised to see clumps of them in the snow this morning out in my one flower bed. Some are up 2-3 inches, some just starting. I haven't looked yet to see if the Crocus are starting up. I've never seen the daffodils come up in February! Hope they'll be ok.
Guess mother nature knows what she's doing.

Last edited by cutlassgal; February 24th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Sandy, hope you are feeling better. I know you have heard this many time but try to get plenty of rest and drink alot of fluids.
I am off to Bangkok tomorrow (3 hour bus ride) and will spend the weekend down there and visit some friends. While i am there we will go over and check out the Grand Palace. I haven't been there in a few years and they are always restoring something so it's time to check it out again. Here's a short video so you can see what I'm going to see if you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcW0SBToYaU

Was listing to some John Hiatt last night. This ones for everyone who has a dog or had one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-OVnhiYgO8

Have a great weekend,
B
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:04 AM

Sounds like I'm in for a warm welcome from all the CO members My wife says that we will be staying in Athens Jamesbo.

Day was good here today, 25 degress with very little clouds. I will swap you Sandy

PM sent Sandy

Take it easy everyone

Adrian
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:40 AM

Mawn'in all

Originally Posted by Ausraven
My wife says that we will be staying in Athens Jamesbo.Adrian
Athens?

That's not Hotlanta, Dats UGA Bulldog country. Woof, Woof,

Seriously, That's where the University of Gawga is. Lots of babes, But a good piece from whar I'm at. [In the vernacular]

Dat's all dats thar. Be sure to wear red and black.They shoot people over there who wear yellow and white. [The rival colors of Ga. Tech]

I haven't been to Athens since I got accepted to graduate school thar 45 years ago. I drove over thar looked fer a parking space for about 2 hours and said "F&#*@ it" and drove back to Atlanta.

We need to find out if ya'll are coming any whar closer to Atlanta anytime during your stay.

Storms blew thru last nite but it's spose to be pretty today.

Rdrokit, Started to what your video but jes can't do it right now, But Thanks anywho
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Well I called off sick today, so am home having some coffee and watching country videos. It's nasty outside - snowin and blowing. Snow all up against the window screens and doors. It's 31 degrees. Expecting another 3-5 inches they're saying on the news. Adrian.... wish I could send you some of this!

Steve was already in the office when I called off at 7:10. I was surprised! He's the busiest one of the 3 guys, though. I feel bad calling off. We got really busy yesterday afternoon' phones ringing like crazy. I do feel alittle better today. I'm up to about 70%. Just gonna lay around and rest today and say the hell with it, lol.!

Have a good day all!
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Good morning guys & gal

Cold this morning (19 degrees) 3" snow on the ground frozen of course. Gonna warm up and turn to ran by tomorrow night then back to rain and the 40's which will be normal for us this time of year.

The dog video and song was good, but also sad, makes me think back on all the great dogs in my life. I away's say this is the last one but I need them in my life.

talk to you all later
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM

Cool here this morning -37c with the wind (but really only -26c) about -8F. They say it will warm up to -6 Sunday (25F) but they to enjoy this weather while we have it.

I was telling the wife with all the bad news coming from New Zealand, we were lucky we don't have earthquakes in this part of the country. Anyone alive in the rubble would last perhaps an hour at most. If they were wet from a broken water main maybe 15 minutes. 10 years ago there was a baby that walked out of her mothers house into -37C temps and was found about fours later lying in the snow. Emergency crews were able to bring her back as she was not breathing. They interviewed her last night on TV. She's doing great although her mother still feels guilty. That was a miracle.
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Morning All!

Well I called off sick today, so am home having some coffee and watching country videos.
Did you catch **** glaucoma from Ken?
Leaving those poor guys at work a man down like that, I'd feel bad too.

So you're going to lie around on the couch all day pounding down Irish coffees while you watch Tim McGraw videos?
Sounds like a plan.
He's an Indian outlaw, half Cherokee and Choctaw, with hair like yours are you any part native American Sandy?
Be the only girl and squaw on Classic Olds if you are.

Why don't you let your poor kitty inside to snuggle with you on the couch on this blustery day, the raccoon would like it too.

I'm going out to the garage to drink Irish coffee and play with my powerful seat tracks and listen to country music.
I perfer Slim Whitman, I still can't hit that yodeling high note in "Una Paloma Blanca" like he does, Redgoat can though.

When I'm finished in the garage I'll hop on the tractor and blow snow either off the driveway or the front lawn, which one all depends on how much Sandy coffee I've had to drink.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM

They had been predicting it for the last couple days but we finally got some snow on the valley floor, about an inch this morning. The sun is trying to break through the clouds and they're predicting cold and clear the next couple days. Cold for us anyway, high teens at night 30's during the day. The ski lodge just South of town got about 40 inches from this storm system so they're happy. Then it's predicted to warm up to more normal temps and rain showers through next week. Daytime 50's nights 30's. I filled the bird feeders this morning and they're covered with the little guys. I had to thaw out the humming bird feeders and put in fresh sugar water too. I'm still amazed that the hummers stick around all winter. I've also noticed the gold finches are hitting the sugar water. I've got a thistle sock for them, but they're using both. It's a good morning to have a second cup of coffee and watch the birds!
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by 2blu442
They had been predicting it for the last couple days but we finally got some snow on the valley floor, about an inch this morning. The sun is trying to break through the clouds and they're predicting cold and clear the next couple days. Cold for us anyway, high teens at night 30's during the day. Daytime 50's nights 30's.
John, we FINALLY got some rain last night and early this morning. We've had forest fires within striking distance for tha past few weeks. The Trophy Wife was VERY thankful as she's paranoid about forest fires. I keep asking her "If you're terrified of forest fires, why in the world did you have us build a cedar home IN A FOREST?
Originally Posted by 2blu442
I filled the bird feeders this morning and they're covered with the little guys. I had to thaw out the humming bird feeders and put in fresh sugar water too. I'm still amazed that the hummers stick around all winter. I've also noticed the gold finches are hitting the sugar water.
Our hummers leave at the first sign of snow and come back about the first of May. Our Goldfinches still have their dull winter coats, but I did see one with a little yellow beginning to show.

Our year-round perching birds are chickadees, tufted titmice, Carolina wrens (larger than the normal house wren, and more gregarious!) the upside down nuthatches, and soon we'll be getting the beautiful grosbeaks....

The best price around here for oiled sunflower seeds is $20 for 50 pounds. They're eating us out of house and home this winter! Fun to watch, though!

--Don

Old February 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Well I called off sick today, so am home having some coffee and watching country videos.
Sandy, be happy that your symptoms are not like a friend of mine.

He was recently diagnosed with Ocular Rectalitis! It's a strange malady that starts in the rectum, and slowly works it's way up the spinal cord and eventually attacks the medulla at the base of the brain, which in turn affects the optic nerve, and gives the victm a Sh%&ty outlook on life!

UGH!
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Dbbord,

This year I've switch from straight sunflower to a sunflower based mix. IMHO sum of the smaller birds can't eat the sunflowers to good.

I used to buy 50 lb bags of seeds and put them in a metal garbage container to keep de critters out of de seeds, I finally gave up cause de coons would litterly undo the wire I had twisted from the handles thru the lid handle to the other side handle.

Now I buy ten lb. bags of "Cardinal mix" and put it in a large cooler on the screen porch.

Thursday, I saw 2 flocks of real Canada geese migrating north. I say "real" cause many of the ones down here don't go anywhere but from golf course to golf course and much lower altitudes.

Anyone ever made turducken? I'm getting hungry.
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This year I've switch from straight sunflower to a sunflower based mix. IMHO sum of the smaller birds can't eat the sunflowers to good.
Our little LOVE the sunflower seeds as the seeds I get are all different sizes of sunflower seeds! I keep my seeds in a big locked cover can in a shed. The coons haven't yet figgered out the lock on the shed!
Thursday, I saw 2 flocks of real Canada geese migrating north. I say "real" cause many of the ones down here don't go anywhere but from golf course to golf course and much lower altitudes.
I finally know someone who doesn't say "Canadian Goose"

--Don
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
The coons haven't yet figgered out the lock on the shed!

--Don

Stick around, They will
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

You guys are funny!!! Yes, Blue.... I had a slight case of **** glaucoma this morning on top of whatever else it is I have, lol!! And I didn't see any Tim McGraw videos this morning. Just the newer ones... over and over... kept switching between the 2 stations. And I've never even had an Irish coffee! I'm a drinkin decaf these days, ya know? I hope Redgoat didn't over do, lol!

Well I guess I'm the only girl and "squaw" on CO then, cause my great great grandma was Cherokee according to what I've heard. I swing a mean tomahawk....

I finally got off the couch and got dressed. Nicole shoveled some around the Intrigue which is sitting out in the drive. First time she ever shoveled, lol! It was fun watching her. I took a couple pics. Grumpyass didn't plow the drive this morning - he's mad at me - again. What else is new anymore? So Nicole thought she was going to go somewhere and I told her she would get stuck at the end of the drive where it's drifted real bad and the plows have been pushing snow up there all day long. She gave up and had her friend come get her. They parked on the street instead of trying the drive.... smart!

John.... you have hummers in the winter?? How cool is that?? I would love it. I had a downy woodpecker drinking from a hummer feeder a couple years back. I took a picture of him, lol! He looked so funny! Guess they like the sweet water too.

I noticed the other day that the gold finches here are starting to get lighter looking, but are still mostly brownish. I'm just glad to hear and see the Robins! I need to fill my feeders, but just don't feel like going out in the cold. I keep one feeder with just sunflower seeds in it and use a mixture in the other feeders. I have a thistle feeder for the finches and buy little seed mix for them in another feeder. I buy suet for the peckers. The Chickadees eat it too sometimes.

God I'm tired of looking at snow. It's plastered against all the windows on the front of the house. My head feels clearer this afternoon. How come the day goes sooooo fast though, when I'm home laying on the couch, and so friggin slow when I'm at work? It's just not right, I'll tell ya!

It's blowing so much over here and still snowing pretty good. It quit for a while, but is back. I had about 10 birds on my one feeder this morning, all fighting for space. The cardinal came and landed on one of the feeder things with the little birds. I tried to get a picture, but the feeder was swinging in the wind, so it was blurry. I was so happy yesterday to see the daffodils coming up - now they're buried!

Bird seed and sunflower seeds are expensive around here. It does get costly to feed them all year. I feed them in the summer too. I've heard it's more important to have water for the birds in the winter than food, because they can't find water and they die. Can't do it here - it just freezes to quickly.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM

This time of the year we have several different kinds of sparrows and finches, then the juncos, titmice, chickadees, wrens and nuthatches as you do Don. I also see a towhee once in a while and the most colorful this time of the year is the scrub jay. The goldfinches are all grey/green still. I had flickers working the walnuts left over in my lawn earlier in the winter. Then mourning doves and sometimes I'll see a band tail pigeon in the yard. Over the years I've had a couple small hawks swoop through looking for a meal too! The grosbeak migrate through but are only here for two or three weeks of the year.

I like to purchase the black oil sunflower seeds for about $20 a 40 pound bag, then mix it will the millet/cracked corn and striped sunflower seeds at $13.00 per 40 pound bag. I have problems with coons going after cat food but so far they've left the bird seed alone!

Now Jamesbo I really hope that's pronounced tur-DUCK-en instead of TURD-uck!-en

Ooops! Sandy you were posting the same time I was! In the summer we'll have Orioles migrating through and when they do the humm water goes away really fast!!! I'll dump the bird bath in the evening and refill it in the morning. Its rare for us to have a day that stays below freezing all day but common for it to freeze overnight.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

We have mourning doves here all winter. They eat off the ground, so I always sprinkle seeds for them. I like them. I see the grosbeak just a few weeks around here in the spring. He likes sunflower seeds! He is really beautiful. I took some pics of one a couple years ago. I don't know where he goes, but he isn't here for long.

I was looking for those pics The Colonel posted not to long ago of those parrots and other colorful birds over there, but I can't find them. I think they were in our original good morning thread. Those were some beautiful birds!

Turd-uck-en..... Now that's funny right there, lol!
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Yes, My friends it's turducken as in a turkey, stuffed with a duck, which is stuff with a hen. I've never made it but I've gotta a hakering to give it a try.

Maybe I should go sit down and wait fer de hankering to go away.

Sandy,

Those high cheek bones and straight black hair are a dead give away. I knew you weren't far off the Reservation de first time I saw your pic.

You've never had Irish Coffee? Shame on you. On second thought, I had a wife once dat was 1/2 sum kinda Indian [feather not dot] who couldn't hold her liquor worth a tinkers hooray. One glass of scotch and she was ready to go burn down sum cabins.

Thank God and Greyhound she's gone.

Maybe ya should jes stick to non adult beverages. We who come from European stock have had centuries to build up our immune system to firewater. Cept of course de Irish, ain't real sure what happped to dem.

I hate to tell ya dis but in de south come bout de 1st of September we murder the heck outta Doves, pluck em and eat dem. Yummy dark meat.I always save de little pink fet in de freezer and give em to folks who do wood carvings of birds. Dat gives dem plent of toes to glue on.

My grand mother actually made pillows with pillow ticking stuff with dove breast feathers. So you ca imagine how may she ate.

I won't make ya pitch your cookies by post'in a dove caserole recipe.
Now Quail...................I better stop, I'm mak'in myself hungry again.
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM

I started working in the woods in my late teens over on the Oregon coast. I remember the band tailed pigeons migrating through and many of my co-workers hunted them. I went after deer and elk but never became skilled with bird hunting. I also remember being the new guy on the crew... and some of the "special" ways the guys made me feel welcome. When they told me berries on a bush called Cascara Buckthorn was safe to eat because the pigeons at them I thought that made sense. Until I noticed everyone was watching me, some with a hit of a grin at the corners of their mouths. I decided I wasn't in the mood for berries that day. I later learned that bark was peeled from the shrubs and sold as something in it was a primary compound in laxatives! Rumor had it if you ate a handful of berries you'd better take a novel with you next time you head to the bathroom... you'll be there a long time

I do enjoy turkey and chicken, never developed a taste for duck as it seemed kinda gamey to me. But my foster-daddy grew up in Ar-Kansas and I learned to really appreciate his southern cooking. If you decide its good I'd be willing to give it a try Jamesbo!
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Duck in Gumbo is wonderful. Oddly enough a few strips of duck are really good on a salad.

I'm not a big goose fan. I'm always afraid, de grease is gonna catch fire and burn down the kitchen.

A few years back a bud of mine in de Gawga mountains brought be sum smoked bear chops and they were awesome.

IMHO alot of how good wild game is depends on the preperation.
i.e. Bear burgers don't sound very good to me. Deer chili is tho
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Today was for the birds;
Got to the shop this morning and after getting everyone going I noticed a knocking noise coming the office walls. After removing the drop ceiling panels I found a woodpecker and the fun began on trying to get him out. Maybe I should have called critter control.
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Don L/442
Maybe I should have called critter control.
Shoulda called me Donny. I would a brought my 20 gauge.
[Hey, in 30+ years, I've yet to get a letter of reprimand]

De taste alot like chicken.
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Shoulda called me Donny. I would a brought my 20 gauge.
[Hey, in 30+ years, I've yet to get a letter of reprimand]

De taste alot like chicken.
I'm sure you could have got the job done faster than we did and then cooked up something for lunch
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM

I worked ten hour days this past week planning to take today off and make some progress on projects at home. I shared earlier that there was an inch of snow on the ground when I got up, but that the sun was coming out. It did get sunny and melt off almost all the snow by about noon, but now it's snowing again I may have to putter inside today. Oh well......
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM

@Donny,

I had to introduced my ole bud Roger to the wonderful werkings on that rare manual tool de push broom.

Seems his 15th cousin Gordon needed to change a few tires [dat sum how turned into 8] in de shop on my tire changer after he left the mud race.

Poor boy was struggle'in out in de yard with a pair of screw drivers when Roger offered de [my/we/our] tire changer.

I'm happy fer dem to use it. Just Please Louise, take the frigg'in mud and mountain Dew cans witch cha when ya leave.

Tanks again fer fix'in de drop top. I'm gonna take her out in de sun tomorrow, turn on de heater roll up de winders and button her down. Just in time for spring.

Dez guys up ere are starv'in to death, They're pull'in compressors from old fridges and peel'in clean romex to take to de yard to buy groceries. If ya wanta get rid of dat ole dozer in de barn, Let me know, they really need de money.

p.s. How many dozen eggs do ya'll want/need?
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Jamesbo;
I was there when they started and it didn't look pretty.(Your mom doesn't work here,clean up after yourself)

The drop top is way to nice of a car to have problems.Glad I could help

Farm fresh eggs..mmmmmmm We'll take two dozen
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Don L/442
Farm fresh eggs..mmmmmmm We'll take two dozen
When Roger finishes clean'in up after his 15th cousin Gordon's mess [a.k.a Pigpin], I don't know how "Fresh" they'll be, But, I try ta bring a sum.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Mawn'in

Pretty day down ere.

I've been a cook'in [Like duh, it's Saturday]

Got sum roasted chicken with sum kinda South Aferican rub, wit sum onions, carrots and taters.

Made up sum Azzo Rojo with beef. [Red rice, onions, tomato sauce, garlic, bell peppers w/ ground beef]

Now, I slinging together 3 Shepard Pies wit smashed taters on top den browned in de broiler.

Sandy,

My Jonquils are done up an bloom'in.

Ya'll have a loverly day ya ere.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM

-6C (26F) here to day and snowing. Last night the house was cold. I noticed the furnace kept shutting off. It seemed the ignitor wouldn't glow. So I called a heating co. and they said the could be here at 9 am. I said OK and then asked "How much if it's just the ignitor?" The guy says $300 for the service call, $85 for the part and the 5% GST (federal tax) so $404.25.

I told him to forget it. We put portable heaters in the rooms and everyone had a good sleep. This morning I went to the appliance supply store and found the part ($40). Came home, figured it out and now we have heat again.

Talk about a savings. Now that I'm happy, here is a joke to get you smilin' too....

A blonde woman was speeding down the road in her little red sports car and was pulled over by a woman police officer, who was also a blonde. The blonde cop asked to see the blonde’s driver's license. She dug through her purse and was getting progressively more agitated. 'What does it look like?' she finally asked. The policewoman replied, 'It's square and it has your picture on it.'

The driver finally found a square mirror in her purse, looked at it and handed it to the policewoman. 'Here it is,' she said. The blonde officer looked at the mirror, then handed it back saying, "OK, you can go. I didn't realize you were a cop...
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Sounds like you're cooking up a storm Jamsbo. Who eats all that food anyway. Lots of people out of work around here too. People have been stealing manhole and drain covers of the streets to sale for scrape. Very dangerous for drivers, cycle riders and people stepping of the curb.

Cold and snowy again today. Gotta work anyway so I will be at the computer most of the day.

Talk to you all later
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Ken,

I'm ROTFLMAO at dat one.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Sounds like you're cooking up a storm Jamsbo. Who eats all that food anyway.
Pat,

It's easier on me to cook on Saturday fer me and "She who must be obeyed" Usually, I made sum extra to take to the lady who werked fer me for so long. She's got cancer and things aren't look'in good. It's the least I can do for a dear friend.
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM

It's nice of you to do that Jamsbo. Food is a comfort item in my family always has been. Growing up whenever someone was sick or down on their luck mom always cooked up something and took it over no matter if we were in tough shape ourselves on not. My wife and I do the same. Its an old time thing that many people don't understand anymore. It lifts the spirit of the giver and the receiver.
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM

It lifts the spirit of the giver and the receiver.
I couldn't agree with you more Pat, It also gives me a chance to drop in and check on her. She knows come hell or high water, I'll be there every Tuesday.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM

[quote=citcapp;256826] People have been stealing manhole and drain covers of the streets to sale for scrape. Very dangerous for drivers, cycle riders and people stepping of the curb.

I've heard of that and thought the same thing but what I can't understand is why a scrapyard would take it knowing what the deal is.
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM

[quote=Don L/442;256874]
People have been stealing manhole and drain covers of the streets to sale for scrape. Very dangerous for drivers, cycle riders and people stepping of the curb.

I've heard of that and thought the same thing but what I can't understand is why a scrapyard would take it knowing what the deal is.
When they catch a scrape dealer with a manhole cover they prosecute for receiving stolen goods. Thieves are even stealing copper wire form street lights as well.