The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2022, 06:52 PM
Running On Empty

Speaking of family. I just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy.
Old July 4th, 2022, 07:17 PM

My better half made me a batch of her ginormous cinnamon rolls with real cream cheese icing! I'm not worthy!
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Speaking of family. I just finished watching Hillbilly Elegy.
Norm - I thought it was a great movie!
Old July 4th, 2022, 09:24 PM

fitting the gas cap in a notch to hold the license plate flap open
I learned this on my '70 SX that I bought in 1976. I was trying to figure out where to put the cap when filling the tank, and just stuck it there to hold the license plate door open. Just by accident i guess. About 10:15pm the heavy rain came and the neighborhood fireworks stopped, broke my heart...NOT!
Old July 4th, 2022, 09:52 PM

My older dog took a chill pill and crashed on the floor in the bathroom with Hair Nation blasting 80s rock to mask the fireworks sounds.

I’m sure some of us can relate to that.
Old July 5th, 2022, 02:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

No problems getting on that second flight and getting home. Mom and I decided against Walmart so we went to the laundromat instead. Fun. Got to bed early, I was beat.

She said there were not many fireworks in the neighborhood over the weekend so Tiger would have been okay to stay home. Who knew. Maybe we are transitioning from redneck to decent folk. Whoa that's a lot to think of all at once. I'll pick Tiger up after work this afternoon.

Short week. Got plenty to do this week, hope I can get to some of it. One thing I need to do is get my chainsaw and cut down these weird fern looking things. They have the little frilly leaves and branches like a fern, but have a thick trunk like a small tree. No idea what they are. A nuisance I call them.

Have a good day everyone.

Old July 5th, 2022, 03:37 AM

Our neighbor set off a bunch of fireworks last night (4th). I mean these were really close! On the night of the 3rd is when the most fireworks were. All the dogs we ever had were really freaked out when fireworks went off. Our Buddy couldn't care less. That is a great thing. Though the ones last night were so close and loud they got his attention, but no freaking out. Leaving tomorrow about 6am for Nats. Google says it should be a 10 hr trip to Murphreesboro, I'm guessing 12 hrs, hope to arrive at 6 pm or so. Registration closes at 7, if get there after 7 will just have to register Thurs morn. When I went to homecoming with Olds I noticed it was idleing high and a little rough, but I forgot about it, well yesterday I found a vacuum hose was off, fixed that and all good, but could swear I was hearing a very small exhaust leak. Got a piece of tubing and stuck in my ear and listened around and found small leaks at both exhaust manifolds to head. Well not going to mess with that before the nats. But I ordered some gaskets from Victor Reinze which are supposed to be better for high heat. The Felpros aren't so good,
Well I am going to take lap top and I will check in and let you guys know how Nats are- sorry I'm not much for taking pics....
Old July 5th, 2022, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
My older dog took a chill pill and crashed on the floor in the bathroom with Hair Nation blasting 80s rock to mask the fireworks sounds.

I’m sure some of us can relate to that.
Kenneth - My wife decided not to tranquilize Monty last night, but he did surprisingly well even though there were a ton of fireworks close. Not much trembling or heavy panting. He just snuggled up close to Mom and rode it out. I was really glad to see him do better and not suffer so much.
Old July 5th, 2022, 05:25 AM

Greg - I'm glad to hear Buddy doesn't have a problem with fireworks! Safe travels to Nats! I hope you and your wife have a great time!
Old July 5th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Always room for one more

So I'm in a quandary. In a couple weeks I'm going to Ohio for the Amphicar shindig and I planned on flying to Dayton and renting a car for the weekend. The cheepest I can find is 300 for the four days I'll be there. I find that excessive. Now, if this were New York City, or Orlando, maybe. But Dayton Ohio? Uh uh. And I couldn't make the return flight that I want to.

Seems to me the last time I rented a car it was like 30 a day. If I drive up there and back, I figure it will cost me around 200. This is an awful drive. A hundred bucks is a big gap. And the price goes up every day. Anybody in Ohio want to loan me their car?

Now I have something to worry about this afternoon instead of doing my work.

Old July 5th, 2022, 10:37 AM

It went well for the 4th get together at my niece's place, muggy but overcast, so we didn't get scorched. About a 180 mile round trip, and I was surprised that I averaged over 30mpg for the trip. I was running 75mph on U.S.31 which compiled most of the mileage and was getting 30+, and 31+ on the two lane back roads @ 60mph. Ended up with 1.875" of rain per my gauge, which was sorely needed. Laundry, groceries and grass cutting today to keep me occupied.
Old July 5th, 2022, 04:15 PM

Hi guys,

Max temp in the shade today, 104°. First day of a 4-day stretch where the high is supposed to be around 100° each day! Too damn 🔥 🔥 🔥 🥵
Old July 5th, 2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hi guys,

Max temp in the shade today, 104°. First day of a 4-day stretch where the high is supposed to be around 100° each day! Too damn 🔥 🔥 🔥 🥵
Yeah I wanted to work on the H/O today but could not be arsed. Did laundry, dishes, vacuumed a room, and did some "pile driving" as my aunt calls moving stuff around.
Old July 5th, 2022, 08:44 PM

Heh. Our weatherman said we cooled down to only 104.

Unfortunately this coming week we’re supposed to crack that ol 110 threshold.
Old July 6th, 2022, 01:25 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning overtime!

Looks like we'll have a decent turnout. As I suspected, I'm the only mechanic so I'm glad I came in. I haven't been doing the early thing in awhile, it's just too burdensome getting up at 2. But I'm glad I came in it will really help us this afternoon when it's time to leave.

Even though the car sits out in the hot sun all day, the temp thing still says 100 when I get home. The evenings cool down and the mornings, like this one at 3am when I left, are cool, if not a little humid. Got the dog out of jail yesterday and he went right to Mom's, he probably thinks he lives there again.

The AC guy called yesterday and he's going to come over today after work and start taking out the downstairs unit. Then Friday after work he's coming to install the new one. Gosh, AC by the weekend, I can't imagine it.

Okay got some guys here hitting it hard already. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old July 6th, 2022, 06:15 AM

Heh. Our weatherman said we cooled down to only 104.

Unfortunately this coming week we’re supposed to crack that ol 110 threshold.
Ya, ya, ya, but it's a dry heat!
Old July 6th, 2022, 10:37 AM

Hi guys,

Just got in and got cleaned up from mowing and trimming, it was brutal. The only thing worse than having to get out and mow in this crap is when your mower breaks down right in the middle of it, Ugh! The cable that I had jerry-rigged to engage the self-propelled mechanism broke. The last one lasted a whole season, hopefully this one will get me through the rest of this one. Maybe it's time for a new mower, but I hate to trash one that's otherwise running great.

Everything else will be done inside today as we suffer through another day of this 100° weather. I have promised my younger daughter to help her move on Friday and Sunday this weekend using my truck. Friday is still supposed to be hot, but Sunday cooler in the high 80's.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 6th, 2022, 01:06 PM

You get no sympathy from me, I tell ya.
Old July 6th, 2022, 01:17 PM

You get no sympathy from me, I tell ya.
Wouldn't expect to with the temps you guys have to put up with. I still find it hard to believe how many +100° days you guys have these days!
Old July 6th, 2022, 01:27 PM

Kenneth & Chris, no need to share your heat, I'll keep the 80's that I have. Chris, can you buy a cable online for your mower?
Old July 6th, 2022, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Kenneth & Chris, no need to share your heat, I'll keep the 80's that I have. Chris, can you buy a cable online for your mower?
Dan - I would bet I could buy a new cable online, but I've been too lazy to look. I've still got all the original paperwork, the owner's manuals usually have a part numbers list in the back, I'll have to check.
Old July 6th, 2022, 03:48 PM
Always room for one more

Got out right at 230 this afternoon. We weren't even close. Of course we got the "we have to finish tomorrow no matter what" speech. He wants us to do a number that isn't physically possible. Those robots can only go so fast. There's rumblings that if we continue to fall short they will add a second shift. Fine by me. Another rumor going around is a 12 hour weekend shift. I would -love- that.

Texted the AC guy on my way home and he said, I'm coming over tomorrow. Then he called. He said he said Thursday and I said he said Thursday at first but then kept saying Wednesday. Well I gotta take my Mom to the doctor so he'll be there by himself. I think he's bringing a helper so I don't need to help. I'll just leave the basement door open and he can come at any time during the day. Then Friday to put all the new stuff in.

Kenneth you're a hoot!

Gonna hit the sack in a little bit I'm beat. No going in early for me tomorrow. A guy who is a hack came in this morning after 5 and signed one wheel. I signed 13 but he tried to take credit for some of the wheels I signed. He has to look like he's the best and he'll tell you he's the best. He makes more mistakes than anyone and lets things slide through because he doesn't do what he's supposed to.

Okay two more. No word on overtime for the weekend. That's okay, I have plenty to keep me busy. Have a good evening everyone.

Old July 6th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Oh I know what else. I need some advice. The turn signals no longer cancel on the Saturn. A weird problem. I thought it was because the alignment was off and the steering wheel isn't straight. Nope, I turned the wheel lock to lock and they don't cancel.

So, I'm guessing the steering wheel needs to come off to fix this. While it is off, do I need to replace the air bag? The car is an 08 so that makes the air bag 14 years old. I remember when they were just becoming common new cars would have a cardboard notice on the visor to replace the airbag after 10 years. Is that still valid? Are airbags expensive? Can I just leave it out? I'm not a fan of the notion that after an accident a punching bag will come out and rearrange your face.

Okay that is all. Good night.

Old July 6th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

Speaking of heat. Carlos Santana collapsed on stage last night in Michigan from heat exhaustion & dehydration.
Old July 6th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Speaking of heat. Carlos Santana collapsed on stage last night in Michigan from heat exhaustion & dehydration.
I hadn't heard that, I hope he's going to be ok, certainly one of the greats!
Old July 6th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...one of the greats!
Indeed
Old July 6th, 2022, 08:03 PM

Now that is just wrong. Santana is the essence of cool, it must've been way too hot.
Old July 7th, 2022, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Now that is just wrong. Santana is the essence of cool, it must've been way too hot.
I agree, unfortunately aging and heat don't mix well. I hear he is going to be okay.
Old July 7th, 2022, 11:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

We are well on our way to not finishing again. But the lead isn't here so I'm sure he doesn't care. We had pizza brought in so that was the high point. Almost time to blow this popsicle stand. Oh we had popsicles yesterday.

Left the basement open this morning when I left, but haven't heard from the AC guy. Hope he can get something done today so it doesn't take so long tomorrow.

No ideas about the turn signals? No one wants to make some offsides joke about the clock ring? That's okay, the turn signals on the big truck don't cancel, either, I just know I need to turn them off myself. There are NO conveniences in that thing.

Not gonna be any mechanics coming in early tomorrow. I'm debating whether or not I want to. Well, I don't want to, but I know it will help us out when it's time to go home. Which, being Friday, I hope is way earlier than normal. But I'm working both Saturday and Sunday so what does it matter.

My laptop is now unusable. I've been trying to coax it along but now it won't load new pages and about every other power up it goes into update mode that doesn't help. Ug. No idea what to look at.

Okay time to get ready to go. Nice and hot out but not Kenneth hot.

Old July 8th, 2022, 01:12 AM
Always room for one more

And now it's 4am. I guess I did come in early.

Good morning everyone.

AC guy was at my house when I got home. He got the old system out of the basement and he said he hopes to finish that up this afternoon. It sounds to me like he won't start the install until another day. Well, I've waited this long. And to think for just an extra 3 grand I could have had everything done by now. Hm.

A few guys are in this morning, we should have a good overtime stint. As for the rest of the day, I'm not so sure. Only three guys signing wheels so we'll be busy. There seems to be a Friday attitude of, no one gives a ****. Friday we get done we get out. That is lost on people, they only want to be lazy. Eh, I'm working this weekend Friday is a non-issue.

Okay got wheels already, have a good day everyone. That is, when you wake up...

Old July 8th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Running On Empty

The 2003 F250 Diesel (185K miles) had a real hard time starting on two occasions during the past two weeks & on one occasion it was growling & hissing at me - I thought the turbo was going out. This morning, the same thing. I'm 1/4 mile from my golf club & the battery light comes on, no PS & no power brakes - just enough brake to get it to a slow rolling stop - but no PS. I got it to hobble into the club parking lot. Open the hood & I'm looking at what appears to be a 1/2 mile long serpentine belt broke into two pieces.

Greg - Have you replaced the serpentine belt on your Ford truck? I'm not sure if yours is a gasoline or diesel engine; so, they may not be the same.

Oh well, it's not like I have anything else going on - yeah, right. Hopefully I can get to the idler arm w/o much difficulty, order a new belt on-line, review a schematic for the belt assembly & get this taken care of. Argh.
Old July 8th, 2022, 12:13 PM

Norm, mine is a gas, and no i've not replaced it. Thing is if a serpentine belt brake quick like that there is usually a reason. I have seen belts brake when alternators seize up, or a/c compressors. Check 'em out.
Old July 8th, 2022, 01:30 PM

Mr. Bell:https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...ign=2022-07-08
Old July 8th, 2022, 03:48 PM
Running On Empty

May be too far to drive...it's ~20 miles West of Atlanta.
Old July 8th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Norm, mine is a gas, and no i've not replaced it. Thing is if a serpentine belt brake quick like that there is usually a reason. I have seen belts brake when alternators seize up, or a/c compressors. Check 'em out.
Greg - Thanks. I've had serpentine belts go out on sewing machine cars (i.e. Mazda 626). While determining the correct Motorcraft (serpentine) drive belt part number to order, I found additional information pertaining to drive belts.

Service Tip: Always replace belts and tensioners together. Old tensioners will reduce a belt's lifespan, and can lead to issues such as overheating, a dead battery, diminished power steering, or poor air conditioning performance.
Sure enough, two symptoms are mine - diminished power steering & poor AC performance. So, now I'm replacing the belt tensioner, as well. They estimate a (serpentine) drive belt on these diesels last ~100k miles. Since I'm ~185k miles and I don't recall any service procedure I've had done where I paid to have a drive belt replaced, I think I was living on borrowed time.
Old July 8th, 2022, 04:14 PM
Running On Empty

I thought I'd call my insurance company, head back over to the club and have the truck towed home. I planned to take the '71 CS & have the tow truck follow me. I forgot the '71 CS is on jack stands. I changed the engine oils in the F250 & the '71 CS this week (Tuesday). I had the CS on jack stands to re-torque all my suspension nuts/bolts when I did a complete R&R of the suspension two years ago; besides, it makes greasing/lubricating & the oil change much easier. So I scrapped the idea of getting the F250 home - it can wait. Instead, I spent about 3 hours under the CS reviewing every nut/bolt, greasing/lubricating, etc., etc. MAW. I had engine motor mount bolts needing tightening, the RH side front LCAs needed to be re-torqued (they were 50 - 55 lbs-ft, should be 80 lbs-ft). Pulled the RH wheel, reviewed the brake caliper & disc pads, as well. Should be able to finish the LH front control arms in the morning along with greasing/lubricating the new UMI Performance rear UCAs/LCAs & drop it back on the ground.
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:17 PM

I thought I'd call my insurance company, head back over to the club and have the truck towed home. I planned to take the '71 CS & have the tow truck follow me. I forgot the '71 CS is on jack stands. I changed the engine oils in the F250 & the '71 CS this week (Tuesday). I had the CS on jack stands to re-torque all my suspension nuts/bolts when I did a complete R&R of the suspension two years ago; besides, it makes greasing/lubricating & the oil change much easier. So I scrapped the idea of getting the F250 home - it can wait. Instead, I spent about 3 hours under the CS reviewing every nut/bolt, greasing/lubricating, etc., etc. MAW. I had engine motor mount bolts needing tightening, the RH side front LCAs needed to be re-torqued (they were 50 - 55 lbs-ft, should be 80 lbs-ft). Pulled the RH wheel, reviewed the brake caliper & disc pads, as well. Should be able to finish the LH front control arms in the morning along with greasing/lubricating the new UMI Performance rear UCAs/LCAs & drop it back on the ground.
Norm - I know you're a good mechanic, but good luck anyway with the R/R of the belt on your truck. About a year and a half ago when I had to have some of the front end components of my steering rebuilt, and an exhaust manifold leak fixed on my 2000 Ford truck in order to pass the safety inspection, I had them go ahead and replace my serpentine belt while they were working on it. Truck had slightly <100K-miles at the time, but with the truck being 21-years old, I figured I was driving on borrowed time.
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Smart thinking on your part. The drive belt isn’t such a big deal really, but now that I’m also replacing the belt tensioner I’m a tad over my head - patience.
Old July 8th, 2022, 08:35 PM

Cleaned for three days along with car work. Mom came to visit, but I managed to keep her from cleaning anything more than the stove top and the counters to help finish. We made a lasagna to her old recipe and made a persimmon pudding, also to her recipe, off pulp from persimmons from my tree.

We'll hang out tomorrow and go eat at the German joint she likes, and she'll head home Sunday.
Old July 8th, 2022, 10:42 PM

Thanks