The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2022, 09:09 AM

Chris, Congratulations and tanks fer all the nice pics

Old July 17th, 2022, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Congratulations and tanks fer all the nice pics
Jim - Thanks, and you're more than welcome for the pics. It was extremely hot here yesterday, over 100°. The announcement for awards kept getting pushed back later and later into the afternoon, and by about 1600 when they hadn't announced anything, I was ready to leave. Judges were going around taking 2nd and 3rd looks at cars. Luckily, I had been texting with my wife throughout the day, and she kept encouraging me to stick it out till the end, I'm just glad she did and that I listened to her.
Old July 18th, 2022, 07:20 AM

Good morning guys,

Not much on tap for today. We went to Walmart yesterday to get some food items we needed, and then stopped by the nearby Verizon store to get a new 5G SIM card for the new Samsung phone my wife bought online, hers was getting pretty old and acting up.

We are watching my youngest daughter's boys (Gabe and Keegan) tomorrow to help her out with a child care conflict. I'm going to watch them at their house until the pool at the semi-private Country Club opens up at 1100, and then we're going to pick up my wife and take them to the pool for several hours. It's a huge pool with a mini Waterpark with slides.

We're going to get hit with that extreme heat wave on Wednesday with multiple days of 100° in a row forecast. Not looking forward to that. Of course I have plans for at least one car event next weekend, but too far out to even think about it with as volatile as the weather has been lately. Seems like you can't have any assurance of what the weather's going to be like until the morning of, and even then, it's iffy. The only exception is you know it's going to be hot!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 18th, 2022, 08:35 AM

Back home from HOCA nationals. Not doing anything with the Olds today. Got rained on hard yesterday, washed it when I got home, and now it is chilling with a dehumidifier for a while before I cover it.
Old July 18th, 2022, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Back home from HOCA nationals. Not doing anything with the Olds today. Got rained on hard yesterday, washed it when I got home, and now it is chilling with a dehumidifier for a while before I cover it.
John - When you have time, give us some particulars. I don't remember exactly where you said it was at, except it was up north, was it Wisconsin or Minnesota? How was the weather? How did your car make the trip? Do you have any pics you can post, always love seeing pics of your Hurst and others, such cool cars!
Old July 18th, 2022, 09:41 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been busy with my friend moving cars around. So far we got 4 cars moved and some chores done around the house that I needed help with. Today we took the dogmobile to have its retest and then to the tag office for the registration. Glad that's done.

Finally got me a new computer, not the one I wanted but I was sort of under the gun, so I could take it with me to Ohio. Some no name brand from Walmart. If I get a couple years out of it I'll be happy.

Okay lots to do still. Hope everyone is doing well, I'll catch up later. Jamesbo that's really too bad about the woman.

Old July 18th, 2022, 01:17 PM

Wow, we got some serious thunderstorms last night. Started around 9 and my area caught the outer edge of a fast moving storm, but we got a bit of rain out of it. The 10 o'clock weather girl said that was it for the night, but whaddaya know, at 1:30 I was awakened by the girl dog yapping at the thunderclaps. It rained for around an hour - I know this because I was awake the whole time the dog was barking / yapping at the thunder. Got back to sleep around 2, then was awakened again at 3 with the dog yapping at yet another thunderstorm that was sitting right on top of us. Very hard rain and less than 3 seconds between lightning flashes and thunderclaps. This whole time the boy dog was sleeping at my feet and never stirred. Just goes to show once again that weather people are notoriously inaccurate in their predictions.
Old July 18th, 2022, 01:53 PM

Kenneth - I hope you're able to get a better night's sleep tonight. I've certainly learned around here if there's enough heat and enough humidity, those pop-up thunderstorms can happen at a moments notice. There doesn't have to be a big front moving through, almost impossible to predict where and when a small cell will pop-up.
Old July 18th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Mike, I had a chance to read the 1st few pages of the "New" good morning thread. BOY do I miss Sandy, Blue, Col, Pat and Adrian
Old July 18th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted any pics of pieces my wife has finished over the past month or so. Here are some pics w/captions for those who are interested.

Here is that 1850's era primitive tradesman's (carpenter, blacksmith, etc.) tool chest that she turned into a coffee table with hairpin legs.

A Lawyer's style bookcase she refinished for her brother that will go in his Farmer's Insurance office.

This is a youth wardrobe. Inside the longer vertical door is a rod to hang clothes hangers.

Just an old chest of drawers that she cut drawers/supports out of and turned into a coffee bar.

Here is that antique desk that I had mentioned she picked up last week. Further sleuthing revealed these desks were produced for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in the 1870's timeframe, shortly after the company was founded in 1858. Note the M, L and C in the iron legs. She is not sure what she's going to do with it yet. She doesn't want to do anything that will devalue it, as they are worth quite a bit from what we've uncovered so far. She may just flip it "as is" for a substantial profit!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 18th, 2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old July 18th, 2022, 11:48 PM

Chris, Beautiful pieces. Where does she find this kind of quality stuff?
Old July 19th, 2022, 03:40 AM

Chris, Beautiful pieces. Where does she find this kind of quality stuff?
Jim - Thanks, I'll let her know! She belongs to about a dozen groups that sell used furniture, and scours them all the time. She has gotten pretty good at recognizing good stuff,, and jumps on it right away if there is something she thinks is a good value.
Old July 19th, 2022, 07:09 AM
Jeff

I had a turn of the century school desk with very nice, ornate cast iron legs that I couldn't give away. Well, actually, I did. I have a friend that specializes in creating art and furniture out of reclaimed items, and I wound up giving it to her. I figured she'd have better luck selling it in her space at an antique market.

Your wife really has her finger on the pulse of what people are looking for, and I really admire her work.
Old July 19th, 2022, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Your wife really has her finger on the pulse of what people are looking for, and I really admire her work.
Jeff - Thank you very much for the nice compliment, I'll let her know. She really appreciates you guys' input and kind words!
Old July 19th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I had a turn of the century school desk with very nice, ornate cast iron legs that I couldn't give away. Well, actually, I did. I have a friend that specializes in creating art and furniture out of reclaimed items, and I wound up giving it to her. I figured she'd have better luck selling it in her space at an antique market.
Jeff - Here is what we know about the value of this particular desk to date. These desks were used in-house by underwriters of what was then called Metropolitan Life & Casualty Co. Thus the M, L, and C displayed in the Iron work of the legs. The oak wooden desk box has 2 ink wells on the top of the desk. Each inkwell had a glass insert within a brass holder, that had a flip close lid top. If the oak wooden desk top is in great shape, both inkwells have both glass inserts with both fliptops, and the cast iron legs look great, these pieces are supposedly worth $2.5K - $3.0K. I have no idea about the rational of why they're worth so much, we haven't figured that out yet. The one we have has a beautiful oak desk box that is extremely sturdy, the legs are in beautiful shape, but the one downside is one of the two inkwells is missing the glass insert and the fliptop. How much the lack of those 2 pieces devalue it, we have no clue. We have also read that people are paying $600-$800 just for a set of the iron legs that are in nice shape. Of course anything is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Case in point, the recent sales of W-30's and 4-4-2's. It should be really interesting to see how this one plays out for my wife???

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 19th, 2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old July 19th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well the big weekend of work is over. We got 5 cars moved and the oil changed in the Saturn and a little bit of furniture moved for Mom. And we had a good time and a nice visit. My friend got on the plane no problem this morning and is home. My sister got into town and we just got back from dinner.

Chris my opinion(and a quarter will get you some coffee) is to clean the oak desk up a little and price it at the going rate. Let the buyers decide how much the missing inkwell is worth to them. You might be surprised.

Jamesbo I go back and read from the beginning sometimes. Different dynamic that's for sure. I see Paul visits the forum once in a while but it's been a good many years since he's posted here. Or those other guys in Canada, Tony with the yellow Cutlass, Ken with the blue 77. They were both Allan's friends.

Gonna get to bed early so I can get a good start in the morning for Ohio. Not looking forward to the long drive but I think it will work out better in the long run over flying. I'll be chasing a guy who's trailering his car up there so maybe I'll catch up with him and drive with him.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old July 19th, 2022, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Well the big weekend of work is over. We got 5 cars moved and the oil changed in the Saturn and a little bit of furniture moved for Mom. And we had a good time and a nice visit. My friend got on the plane no problem this morning and is home. My sister got into town and we just got back from dinner.

Chris my opinion(and a quarter will get you some coffee) is to clean the oak desk up a little and price it at the going rate. Let the buyers decide how much the missing inkwell is worth to them. You might just be surprised.
Mike - Glad you had both a productive and fun weekend with your buddy! I believe my wife is leaning towards the exact strategy you suggested, or maybe just ever so slightly below the going rate for a complete piece. Forgive me for forgetting, but where and what is the event you're going to in Ohio?
Old July 19th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Always room for one more

Annual Amphicar Club Swim In. For the past 22 years the International Amphicar Owners Club has been meeting in Celina, Ohio, at Grand Lake for the club sponsored shindig. Before that it was at Lake George in New York. I personally would l like to see the event moved to other cities but that's not my doing.

Our home base for the event is The Eagles club, sort of like The Elks. We use their big banquet room, their boat ramps, doesn't cost us a thing, but we give money and Tshirts, and also spend lots at their bar! Grand Lake is really nice. Quite the history. It was hand dug in the 1800s, not more than a few feet deep but large. Celina has a big lake festival and there is a carnival, midway for food and vendors, big car show one of the days, it's a good time. Also in the area is the Neil Armstrong museum, he's from that area, a bicycle museum, the Airstream factory(I took the tour a few years ago), and of course Wright-Patterson Air Force base. I have yet to go to that museum, I could stay there for days.

Old July 19th, 2022, 05:44 PM

Chris, once again nice work by the missus. The bookcase going to her brother is a nice piece, the coffee bar is cool as well. Can you find the glass insert for the desk on ebay, etsy, or perhaps an antique furniture website?
Old July 19th, 2022, 07:01 PM

Annual Amphicar Club Swim In. For the past 22 years the International Amphicar Owners Club has been meeting in Celina, Ohio, at Grand Lake for the club sponsored shindig. Before that it was at Lake George in New York. I personally would l like to see the event moved to other cities but that's not my doing.
Mike - That sounds like alot of fun, very cool to see a bunch of Amphicars in one place. I have actually been to Celina and seen the Lake. Went out of my way on the way home to Michigan to go to a Classic Car dealership there called "Custom Rods and Muscle". It is on Haveman road that parallels the north side of the lake.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 20th, 2022 at 03:40 AM.
Old July 19th, 2022, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, once again nice work by the missus. The bookcase going to her brother is a nice piece, the coffee bar is cool as well. Can you find the glass insert for the desk on ebay, etsy, or perhaps an antique furniture website?
Dan - Thanks for the kind compliments, I'll let her know. She is searching for the glass insert of the correct size for the inkwell, but has been unable to find one yet that fits. She doesn't give up easy and I wouldn't bet against her finding one!
Old July 20th, 2022, 12:57 AM

Does anybody [besides me] ever hear something so sophomoric, stupid and funny, they can't let it go

Well, the other day one of my college friends posted that when he went to the drive thru bank, He like to phart into the cylinder before he put his deposit in it, I'm stuck with the visual image of friendly teller turning on the camera as she greets me and opens the cylinder

My wife says, I have the humor of a 3rd grader. She may be right
Old July 20th, 2022, 03:40 AM

Jim, hilarious!!! Seems a little hard to fart in a tube in a car though....
Old July 20th, 2022, 03:51 AM

Does anybody [besides me] ever hear something so sophomoric, stupid and funny, they can't let it go

Well, the other day one of my college friends posted that when he went to the drive thru bank, He like to phart into the cylinder before he put his deposit in it, I'm stuck with the visual image of friendly teller turning on the camera as she greets me and opens the cylinder

My wife says, I have the humor of a 3rd grader. She may be right
Jim - LMAO!!! I tried to think of something stupid we used to do as kids and couldn't come up with anything as funny as that, hilarious!
Old July 20th, 2022, 12:15 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Grand Lake (St. Marys) is a cesspool. Most likely based upon pressure from some unknown (to me) entities it remains open; but, that lake has been a cesspool for years on end. I've been there, I've seen it a couple times on my travels. I wouldn't drink any of the water near Grand Lake & I wouldn't swim in that cesspool. The history of its creation is all fine & well, but they let that lake go straight to hell. Terrible ecological management of a known cesspool, IMO.

Friday, May 20th, 2022 - State issues no-contact advisory for Grand Lake
Old July 20th, 2022, 12:57 PM

I had a former co worker (an engineer) who talked of putting a couple of useless items into a paper bag for weight, then farting into it, rolling it closed and setting it on someones desk. The person on who's desk they set it on would of course would go "whats this?" as they peer into the bag.
Old July 20th, 2022, 01:56 PM

Good afternoon guys,

I never mentioned anything yesterday about watching our grandson's and taking them to the Waterpark. I went over their new house (5-minutes from us) and watched them there until the Waterpark opened and then went by and picked up my wife and we all went together. The 4-year old Keegan was not feeling well for some reason, and it was all we could do to get him to follow us around in the shallower water to keep him cool. Gabe, the 9-year old had a blast, and my wife and I took turns going down the water slides and off the diving boards with him, while one of us watched the little guy. Luckily, my SIL got off from work early due to the extreme heat (outdoor Ironworker), and came by the pool to pick the little guy up around 1300. We stayed with Gabe until 1500 and had a great time.

We went to Sam's early this morning, we usually get our meat there and we were almost completely out. We usually buy alot because we have a smaller deep freeze and to cut down on trips. The +$400 bill was brutal though, although we did get some other things, the meat was the bulk of it.

It's over 103° on my outdoor thermometer in the shade right now, not fit for man nor beast. Weatherman is saying 3 or 4 more days of 100° before it cools a little. Brutal

Hope everyone had a great day and be careful if you're out in this heat!
Old July 20th, 2022, 03:06 PM

Sorry, just me again.

The smaller red and blue numbers directly below the current temps are the highs and lows for the day. At some point it hit 105° in the shade. That just ain't right!

Picked up a couple full racks of pre-cooked pork ribs at Sam's for dinner. They are fresh grilled on their in-house rotisserie grill each day, just reheat and serve, so easy, and they're very, very, tasty. Wife made white cheddar mac and cheese as a side. I'm absolutely stuffed!
Old July 20th, 2022, 06:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long, long drive from Atlanta to Celina. Not a bad ride, just long. NIce weather all day but the thing in the car said it was almost 100* the whole trip. That's why we have air conditioning.

Met a guy who is from north of the city and we went for a swim. That has to be some sort of record, only being here a couple hours and already in a car. Norm I know the place sucks. A few years ago the State of Ohio put out some bulletin that Grand Lake's water was contaminated and had some funky algae in/on it. They said it was too much runoff of the farmers' fertilizer. I had hoped that would be the straw that got us to go somewhere else. Nope, the Eagles set up a Slip and Slide sprinkler and people could drive over it and rinse their cars off, all was well. Being inside the car you get splashed a little bit so I wash my hands and arms good when I get ashore.

I've been to that classic car place. They are sure proud of their cars. Some years ago he had a 67 Cutlass convertible that was rusted to death and way overpriced. I wanted it anyway. I went in and asked to see it. He scowled and said it's in the back building. Upon entering the back building I saw it buried three cars deep and under another car on a lift. No way was he going to get it out. *****. That car was for sale at least a year.

Jamesbo at work we'd fart while sitting on the captain's cushion and then stand up. The cushion would suck it in and when he came to sit down at the beginning of the flight, it would release the fowled air. Simple minds I guess.

Think I'll hit the sack. I'm wacked. There are a few people here and I'll have plenty of time to see them later. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old July 20th, 2022, 07:28 PM

Chris, your high temp for the day is what we have at 9 am in the morning.

And then it doesn’t drop below 100 until near midnight.

Last edited by Fun71; July 20th, 2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old July 20th, 2022, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, your high temp for the day is what we have at 9 am in the morning.

And then it doesn’t drop below 100 until near midnight.
Kenneth - Ya, I know, your daily summertime highs are just nuts. Normally, we should be seeing highs around °93 this time of year, which isn't too bad if the humidity isn't too high, but 105° is crazy for here.
Old July 20th, 2022, 09:15 PM

Unfortunately there’s still 3 more months of this.
Old July 20th, 2022, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - When you have time, give us some particulars. I don't remember exactly where you said it was at, except it was up north, was it Wisconsin or Minnesota? How was the weather? How did your car make the trip? Do you have any pics you can post, always love seeing pics of your Hurst and others, such cool cars!
I'll make a thread this weekend on its own.

406 miles each way trip for me. Not too bad driving up, had traffic in Indy and Ft. Wayne. Gas gauge decided to start working halfway through. Got about 12.5 mpg overall. Had bad pavement outside of Lansing that vibrated my jury-rigged taillight lamp loose, and a hood pin, which jammed the hood. We fixed that Thursday night. Good hotel in western Lansing, large parking lot, good security.

Got moving Friday AM and convoyed to Grattan Raceway some 75 miles west. We had approximately 50 H/Os at the track and 27 of them were 72's. Got everyone on the field for a picture, then drove a slow lap for a tour. Had pizza lunch, then got all 72s out there for picture time. We launched, did a few laps, other cars came on. Grattan is apparently two miles long, has a nice straightaway, and all sorts of bonzo curves. Slow people started getting off. I did ten laps, figured I was just burning gas and couldn't go faster, so I got off for a bit, then someone barfed antifreeze and shut it down. I hung with him and his wife until we couldn't get him mobile and got the tow truck. They could ride with the truck so I did not give them a ride.

Drove to hotel, started raining. I unpacked my flood prone trunk. Went to R E Olds museum that night and had a nice tour. Went to hotel, still raining. Pulled everything from trunk but the jack and the tire, took it to room and spread it out to dry.

Got up early Saturday, washed the car with hotel provided car wash spot. Repacked the trunk. Nice car show day. I went and met Linda, bought her book, and she liked my SmartWater, so I went and got her one to her appreciation. She agreed to come sign my car (for a fee) when done.

We had the business meeting. I got to run the officers' election, and I screwed up, electing them before I got a motion to approve. Got appointed as the editor of Thunder & Lightning, which is the H/OCA's newsletter (I've been doing the job for a month now.) We then had an auction with good results to raise money for the club. I then went and met Linda and brought her another water, and she and her handlers walked out and she signed several cars, including mine.

Started the long loading process of putting everything back together. I brought too many folding chairs and beverages. I bought a repro hood pin with a press fit pin in it from Ron Memmer. I paid for two, he is mailing me the second. I jammed the other one in, loctited it, and put it on the side that is easier to get to (not the one the battery is on.) Assembled those, checked hood function, and found it good to go.

Went and got nice for the banquet dinner. Nice dinner, good presentations. Afterwards, kept loading car, then drank beer until bedtime. Next day, loaded up and left around 9. Got gas and got into Indiana, then got drowned. Windshield wipers loved it so much they decided not to stop. Got out of the storm, pulled the motor harnesses to get them to quit, drove home without further issue. Washed it, put it away with a dehumidifier with battery disconnected and everything open to dry out.

Good trip. Car keeps giving me interesting failures to keep it lively.
Old July 21st, 2022, 05:54 AM

John - Really cool you were able to get Linda to sign your car, and that you were elected Editor of the Chapter Newsletter, congratulations!!! Sounds like an interesting trip to say the least. I couldn't make a trip like that with my car because I'd be scared $hitless the whole time that something would break and I wouldn't have the expertise to fix it. The fear factor would take the fun out of the trip for me. Major kudos to you guys that have the courage and skills to do that.

I didn't remember you saying prior to your trip that it was in Lansing? You mentioned Fort Wayne, I'm assuming you continued on 69N all the way to Lansing? When you passed Marshall on 69N you were less than 10-miles from where I grew up northwest of Marshall. Can't wait to read your separate post and see some pics. Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2022, 06:21 AM
Running On Empty

John - You keep plenty on your plate. 50 H/Os at the track and 27 of them were 72's is a nice showing. Looking forward to a picture of the 27 72's.
Old July 21st, 2022, 08:35 AM

Good morning guys,

Just got in from mowing, OMG, I'm soaked. Got out there as soon as the dew was mostly gone, around 0800, and I have about 2-hours of it between trimming and mowing. It was about 88 in the shade by the time I got done shortly after 1000, and extremely humid. Felt fine while I was outside, but got a little quesie after coming into the A/C. Feeling better now.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 21st, 2022, 07:47 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day on the lake. We went for an extended cruise then came ashore for lunch. The guy I was riding with wanted to drive back so that's what we did. Had a nice big meal then went for a nice cruise. Then sat around and kibitzed. Tomorrow is go over to the old folks home and give them rides. What a great idea. Get some old people into a car that normal people can't get in, and then if there's a problem they can't get out.

Chris do your trimming on a different day.

John sounds like a good trip. You're really racking up the miles on that car. Good on you.

Okay I'm beat. Things will really pick up tomorrow because people will be off work and will be showing up for the weekend. But now, bed. Have a good night everyone.

Old July 21st, 2022, 08:56 PM

Mike - Another good suggestion! In fact, just before I went out this morning I said to my wife I might do half today, and half tomorrow. However, once I got out there and got going, I didn't feel that bad or hot, until I was done and inside. Should have stuck to my original thought, although now I'll have what little coolness there is in the very early morning tomorrow to do some sprucing up of my car for a show this Saturday. Should be a nice day for a show, lots of sunshine and only 100° F.
Old July 21st, 2022, 09:02 PM

Chris, you reminded me of living in the swamp on the Gulf Coast. Hot and humid nearly year round. When I walked outside my glasses would fog from the humidity. 70+ inches of annual rainfall and the grass grew so fast if I didn’t mow twice a week it would be too thick for my push mower. Now I can modulate the grass growth rate by how much water my irrigation system puts down - ya know, since it doesn’t rain here. Sometimes I have gone a month or more without mowing, but it starts looking scraggly.
Old July 21st, 2022, 09:07 PM

Hi everyone.

Good day on the lake. We went for an extended cruise then came ashore for lunch. The guy I was riding with wanted to drive back so that's what we did. Had a nice big meal then went for a nice cruise. Then sat around and kibitzed. Tomorrow is go over to the old folks home and give them rides. What a great idea. Get some old people into a car that normal people can't get in, and then if there's a problem they can't get out.

John sounds like a good trip. You're really racking up the miles on that car. Good on you.

Okay I'm beat. Things will really pick up tomorrow because people will be off work and will be showing up for the weekend. But now, bed. Have a good night everyone.
Not particularly. It goes around town and to the Nationals. I've owned it 2.5 years and put 2000 miles on it. I don't anticipate adding any more than 500 miles in the next 3 years. I am not driving it to Gettysburg in 2023. 2024 will probably be in Indianapolis, which is 150 miles away.