The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2022, 04:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I've decided I don't like being home by myself. But Tiger is staying with Mom until the AC guy is all done. He's coming today and finishing tomorrow. And not a moment too soon, as my buddy is coming to stay with me Thursday.

Slow start this morning. But, like the lead says, we need to get done no excuses. Not even the robot broke down. Not even the washer broke down. Yes to both this morning. The lead can be a tad unrealistic sometimes.

Not much else going on today so far. That's okay. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old July 12th, 2022, 04:47 AM

Mike, guess where we went for breakfast on way home from Nats? Yummy!! Other pic is cars staged at the Nashville Super speedway.

Old July 12th, 2022, 04:48 AM
Running On Empty

Ordered incorrect belt tensioner - too hasty wanting to address issue ASAP. Ordered correct tensioner yesterday. Think there remain x2 additional smooth pulleys I should R&R, as well. Will check each part pulley (e.g. PS, AC, Alt, etc.) then clean entire front of engine lined with broken belt drive particles.
Old July 12th, 2022, 04:56 AM

Yeah, nats was great, BUT!! I am soo tired of taking car apart to dry after these events- it seems every time we go somewhere with Olds there are torrential downpours and car gets very wet- as in water standing in the floor boards. Murphreesboro was no exception. I can take the seat and carpet out of this car with my eyes closed!! Also took exhaust manifolds off car yesterday, Yep gasket were blown out.

Old July 12th, 2022, 04:59 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Glad AC installation is progressing well.

Greg - Nice to hear you had a great trip to Nats. That's a good looking '71 CS convertible. You have a '71 4-4-2 rear bumper? I'm noting the dual exhausts with trumpets. Mine has the exact same modification - exhaust manifold block-off plate, 4-4-2 rear bumper w/ trumpets. Happy motoring remainder of the way home.
Old July 12th, 2022, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yeah, nats was great, BUT!! I am soo tired of taking car apart to dry after these events- it seems every time we go somewhere with Olds there are torrential downpours and car gets very wet- as in water standing in the floor boards. Murphreesboro was no exception. I can take the seat and carpet out of this car with my eyes closed!! Also took exhaust manifolds off car yesterday, Yep gasket were blown out.
Greg - I posted just before your (above) post. Bummer on water infiltration. I didn't realize you already made it home. Where's the water intrusion - front windshield cowl? I see lots of pitting on my exhaust manifolds but they're holding up. While under the car this past weekend I noticed a small hole in the exhaust block-off plate I should remove and have another piece of metal installed. Such a hassle having to remove & air dry the carpeting, but if you don't get at it the smell is unbearable.
Old July 12th, 2022, 07:06 AM

Greg - Glad you had a good time at the Nats, but like Norm, I'm sorry about the water issue. Nice that you can take the seats and carpet out with your eyes closed, but still a PIA I'm sure! Being the hack mechanic I am, it would take me days! That's one of multiple reasons I'm afraid to take my car on a trip that far. I've been caught out in downpours a couple times now, but not for long, it wasn't like the car was sitting in the rain for hours. At least the exposure I have had to rain so far has been favorable towards it being pretty water tight.

Is that your car in the pic at the Speedway? Did you go ahead and drive on the track? If so, how was that experience, I think it would be awesome! Bet Buddy was glad to see ya when you got home!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 12th, 2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old July 12th, 2022, 07:16 AM

Mike, guess where we went for breakfast on way home from Nats? Yummy!! Other pic is cars staged at the Nashville Super speedway.

I would be shitting like a guy visiting Mexico after that.
Old July 12th, 2022, 08:51 AM

Chris, this is why I don’t go for morning drives during the summer.

Old July 12th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I would be shitting like a guy visiting Mexico after that.

Old July 12th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71

That's brutal!!!
Old July 12th, 2022, 10:01 AM
Running On Empty

The first James Webb telescope images were released (to the public) a couple hours ago. Pretty blown away. The universe is thought to be 13.8 billion years old, Webb images supposedly reveal images at least 13 billion years of age. Putting this in perspective, 100 years ago we thought there was one galaxy, 500 years ago the Earth remained the center of our solar system. https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages
Old July 12th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Greg, did you have to have your stomach pumped after your culinary escapade? (sorry Mike). Are the drains at the kick panels clogged on your vert? Jaelynn, post pics of your new ride when you get it home.
Old July 12th, 2022, 03:24 PM

Hi guys,

Norm - Those pics from the Webb telescope are awesome, I've been watching the reports on TV news.

Got out early this morning and polished both the bumpers on my car. Starting to get it ready for a judged show on Saturday. I've had it out to 4 events since it was last cleaned around June 10th when I got caught out in the rain at an event. Tomorrow I'll start in early on the painted surfaces with Mequiar's detailer, love that stuff. It is not so dirty that it needs washed first. Friday, I'll treat the vinyl roof, do the wheels (maybe), dust/vacuum the interior, and treat the dash pad with that 303 Aerospace protectant. That's great stuff too, the top of my dash pad was a little faded and it made it look brand new! It does not leave a greasy residue like Armor All. I'm using it on my vinyl roof now too, it has alot of UV protection in it.

Going to have to mow tomorrow after I quit on the car, probably around 0900, not looking forward to that! There won't be time for much on Thursday other than running dogs to/from the vet. I had mentioned Maggie has a wellness visit Thursday morning, but now my wife has decided she also wants to take Monty in for another allergy shot, I think they're called Cytopoint injections. They couldn't squeeze him in with Maggie, so now we've got to take him back at 1530, which sucks!

Hope everyone has had a great day, and has a relaxing evening!

Old July 12th, 2022, 04:58 PM

Here’s the afternoon temp from a neighborhood weather station. My thermometer isn’t sheltered in the late afternoon and reads a few degrees high.

Last edited by Fun71; July 12th, 2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old July 12th, 2022, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

A broken one mile long serpentine belt leaves a significant amount of residual rubber. Lots of the rubber remained/contained w/in the grooves of the crankshaft pulley, PS pulley & AC compressor pulley. Most of that residual rubber I am now wearing.

Besides replacing the serpentine belt drive pulley tensioner assembly, I'm replacing two additional serpentine belt pulleys - one is a smooth pulley the other an 8-ribbed grooved pulley. The only pulley which, IMO is not suspect to any serious movement is the PS pulley. There is an ever-so-slight movement in/out (5mm-6mm). There is absolutely no lateral (side-to-side) movement on any of the pulleys. The serpentine belt arrived today, the remaining hardware should arrive over the next 4-5 days. I placed an order to replenish shop accessories: x5 cans CRC Brakleen, x4 cans Gumout Carb & Choke Cleaner, x2 cans Gunk Foamy Engine Brite Engine Cleaner, x12 tubs GOJO Original Formula Hand Cleaner, x12 cans Gunk Original Engine Brite' Engine Degreaser & a 25 pack of 100% Cotton 14"x14" (Red) Mechanic Shop Towels.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 12th, 2022 at 05:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old July 12th, 2022, 05:48 PM

Ouch!!!
Old July 12th, 2022, 05:49 PM

Norm, yep it is a Cutlass with a notched bumper. Dan, drain holes are clear but when there is enough rain( A LOT!!) it will overflow back into the car. 5 years ago at Gettysburg nats we were going out to see some exhibits at the battlefield in the Olds. A storm came up and rained so hard couldn't see to drive, pulled into a party store lot and waited it out for a half hour or so. Soon noticed our feet were under water! We were in car and didn't see any come in ! A mystery, until we checked it out when back home with water hose. When hose held in front of windshield, water runs down and should go out lower fender holes, which it does until it overflows into car floor from down below. This takes a deluge type of rain for a long time.
--Got exhaust manifolds off car yesterday and took to a friend who has a big belt sander. I was able to true up the surfaces. Where the biggest leak was the metal had rusted or something. Now it is much flatter.
Old July 12th, 2022, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I placed an order to replenish shop accessories: x5 cans CRC Brakleen, x4 cans Gumout Carb & Choke Cleaner, x2 cans Gunk Foamy Engine Brite Engine Cleaner, x12 tubs GOJO Original Formula Hand Cleaner, x12 cans Gunk Original Engine Brite' Engine Degreaser & a 25 pack of 100% Cotton 14"x14" (Red) Mechanic Shop Towels.
Norm - That's a "****-ton" of automotive cleaning supplies! Question - How well does the Gunk Foamy Engine Brite Engine Cleaner work? Is it just a spray on, wipe off, application? Is it safe on painted surfaces? Thanks in advance.
Old July 12th, 2022, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I'm not sure about a ****-ton. I'm a hardliner on maintenance items - a fair number of engines around here, '71 CS, '03 F250, ZTR JD lawn mower, Troybilt 5500 generator, 3000 psi pressure washer, concrete metal blade lawn edger, several trailers, concrete mixer, yadda, yadda...the internal combustion engines get cleaned, lubed, oil change either once/year or every other year, the electrical motors need maintenance, as well.

I wouldn't use any of the engine cleaner stuff on paint. The Gunk Foamy Engine Brite Engine Cleaner I use on any of the various engines & it works very well; but I use it more liberally on the F250 since the Foamy stuff is formulated to supposedly not damage plastic - I really don't know if that's true, but I use it on the top-side of the F250 since it has plastic parts. I use either one to be honest on any of the engines. Both are like any engine degreaser - I wouldn't consider any of them just spray on, wipe off, but yeah - you can do it that simply. Here's what I do. I spray engine degreaser on various portions of the engine which needs cleaning, then I allow it to set overnight. The next day I spray one more time. I have about 5 or 6 high pressure pneumatic wands & nozzles of various lengths - from standard (basic) 4"-5" nozzles to 2' wands/nozzles. I then go about cleaning the engine(s) with compressed air directing the wand/nozzle to remove the residual dripping engine degreaser. If I feel the need, I'll wipe down the aesthetically pleasing areas with a shop rag.

EDIT: Thinking about your question regarding paint. I do use it on engine paint and it doesn't remove engine paint - maybe that's what you meant? I never use it or get it near exterior painted surfaces.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 12th, 2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old July 12th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Banned

A co worker of mine thought of me well,said she has a cousin of hers that likes me.He is a nice guy,normal sized and hopefully meet him on Saturday.I decided it was time to start dating again,took a good long break since my husband passed in Febuary
Old July 12th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by A car lady
A co worker of mine thought of me well,said she has a cousin of hers that likes me.He is a nice guy,normal sized and hopefully meet him on Saturday.I decided it was time to start dating again,took a good long break since my husband passed in Febuary
Understandably so...
Old July 12th, 2022, 07:45 PM

Greg,
When I bought my car it had a bunch of leaves and other debris filling that drain space in the front fenders. Both fenders were rusting from the inside out due to that stuff staying damp. I loosened the lower fender bolts, pulled the fender bottoms out, and cleaned out a bunch of mulch, and I do mean a bunch. I suggest you check yours before the fenders start rusting like mine did.
Old July 13th, 2022, 02:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Light rain and gross out. I think that's going to be off and on all weekend, I hope we can still get some things moved. Today is my Friday woohoo!

AC guy was there last night, got the old upstairs unit out, set in place the new outside unit, and he's coming back tonight to finish it all up. Not a moment too soon. My buddy is coming in tomorrow morning. It should be nice and cool for him upstairs.

Chris I use Quick Detailer also. I got hooked on anything Meguiar's from working at the museum I belong to. I also use the three stage wax, man that's a long process. You're actually waxing the car three times. But it looks nice.

Norm, I know better than to ask this question, but why do you order garage supplies to be delivered? Why can't you just go to the auto parts store and get them?

Okay time to get ready for the day. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old July 13th, 2022, 03:47 AM

Greg,
When I bought my car it had a bunch of leaves and other debris filling that drain space in the front fenders. Both fenders were rusting from the inside out due to that stuff staying damp. I loosened the lower fender bolts, pulled the fender bottoms out, and cleaned out a bunch of mulch, and I do mean a bunch. I suggest you check yours before the fenders start rusting like mine did.
Thanks Ken, yep mine are all clean, had them both apart after I found what problem was. This "overflow" really requires a lot of rain for a long time- I find those storms.....
Old July 13th, 2022, 04:06 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm, I know better than to ask this question, but why do you order garage supplies to be delivered? Why can't you just go to the auto parts store and get them?
Mike - I purchased those items on Amazon. I have an Amazon Prime account (free shipping) & the prices are less expensive than local auto parts supply houses - may be about the same as Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. But honestly, I don't really enjoy driving around finding/locating what I need when I can do it from my desk.

Hopefully your buddy will have AC tomorrow evening.
Old July 13th, 2022, 04:20 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I may have spoken too soon regarding the serpentine belt dilemma - not sure yet, I'll validate/verify early this afternoon. I think my AC compressor may be toast - I think the clutch assembly may be frozen locked up, or at least partially and if so, that's most likely what caused the serpentine belt to break. If that's the case, R&R of the AC compressor on this beast is no fun task - I've been reviewing forums & videos and OMG what an ordeal.

I don't own refrigerant gauges, lines, vacuum pump, etc. & I really have no experience evacuating refrigerant, priming with oil (new compressors generally come w/ oil in them I think), charging the system, etc. Since I can't drive the truck, should/could/can I call some place to remove the refrigerant before I remove the AC compressor, do I really need to recover the refrigerant before I start the AC compressor removal? I'm not concerned about recovery and reusing the refrigerant in the system, since I'll have to charge the entire system when I'm done anyway. I just don't know if places/people can come to my house and do this. Any ideas?

I hope the AC compressor is OK, but I seriously have my doubts so I'm expecting the worse and a long protracted work scenario to develop. I won't even consider replacing the AC compressor clutch/pulley but instead I'll replace the entire compressor. I know I'll need to R&R the dryer, condenser, & I might R&R the evaporator core, as well - it just makes sense to do the entire system rather than piece-meal this system. Argh...sometimes I have to wonder why I enjoy working on stuff.
Old July 13th, 2022, 05:15 AM
Always room for one more

Norm when the AC compressor went out on the dogmobile the guy replacing it said to get the dryer and all that because "that's just what you do." I also go a new belt, even though the old one didn't look too bad. That belt is jammed up against the wheel well and I didn't want to have to change it out. Funny, that was about 20,000 miles ago.

Oddly enough I got about a year out of that compressor before I started having problems again. The mechanic I took it to said it had a bad wire, and he fixed it and it worked again. A few days later it went out, I took it to him, he said the wire broken in a different place. A few days later, same thing. I found it odd that that particular wire had degraded to the point where it would break so easily in so many different places, but every other wire in the car was fine. I stopped taking it to him, but I never took it anywhere else. Hm, me without AC that is starting to become a pattern.

So I must have missed something did your belt break while the engine was running or did you cut it to get it off the engine? Unless it broke while you were standing over it I am missing why you have belt shards all over you.

Old July 13th, 2022, 05:54 AM
Banned

Understandably so...
Talked to him on the phone,he comes home Frhome.Was on his way home from a trip
Old July 13th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You're missing the majority of the story:

The 2003 F250 Diesel (185K miles) had a real hard time starting on two occasions during the past two weeks & on one occasion it was growling & hissing at me - I thought the turbo was going out. This morning, the same thing. I'm 1/4 mile from my golf club & the battery light comes on, no PS & no power brakes - just enough brake to get it to a slow rolling stop - but no PS. I got it to hobble into the club parking lot. Open the hood & I'm looking at what appears to be a 1/2 mile long serpentine belt broke into two pieces.

Greg - Have you replaced the serpentine belt on your Ford truck? I'm not sure if yours is a gasoline or diesel engine; so, they may not be the same.

Oh well, it's not like I have anything else going on - yeah, right. Hopefully I can get to the idler arm w/o much difficulty, order a new belt on-line, review a schematic for the belt assembly & get this taken care of. Argh.
Old July 13th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Running On Empty

Just finished playing 18. I signed up to play 9-hole shootout this evening, there's a 50% rain chance, not sure we'll get it in. Parts are beginning to arrive for changing out the belt tensioner & pulleys, the serpentine arrived yesterday. I found one stripped tapered acorn lug nut on the '71 CS last week; a new set is supposed to arrive today. About the only thing I feel like doing at present is - well, nothing. Time for some lunch, I'll evaluate the AC compressor pulley after lunch to confirm the AC compressor is dead in the water. That's about as much fun I plan to have today on the diesel tractor.
Old July 13th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Running On Empty

Confirmed the AC compressor is toast - the pulley won't turn one single iota - frozen tundra. I believe the Alternator looks like it's about on the way out, as well. Dark spots all over the copper windings & the pulley is suspect - turns, but not like it should. At this point, I might as well R&R the PS pump & go full monty on this bitch.
Old July 13th, 2022, 12:24 PM

EDIT: Thinking about your question regarding paint. I do use it on engine paint and it doesn't remove engine paint - maybe that's what you meant? I never use it or get it near exterior painted surfaces.
Norm - Yes, it was the painted engine surfaces I was thinking of, so your edit answered my last question, thanks!
Old July 13th, 2022, 12:31 PM

Norm - Sorry it's turning out there's going to be so much to R&R on your truck! Hope it doesn't take you to long to get it back on the road.
Old July 13th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I painted my intake manifold & valve covers 3.5 years ago with high temp engine paint. No issues.

Appreciate comments regarding truck but it’s going to take some time to do it correctly - there’s a reason I retired.
Old July 13th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Appreciate comments regarding truck but it’s going to take some time to do it correctly - there’s a reason I retired.
Wish ya good luck with it Norm!
Old July 13th, 2022, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Question for any of you guys smarter than me. The image below is the compressor for my truck & shows the shipping cap which must removed & is the location where the two lines go into the compressor. Do I have to evacuate the system before I can remove these two lines from my currently installed AC compressor? Or, can I just remove the two lines, cap them and then remove the current AC compressor? Is one line a low pressure line and the other a high pressure line? I'll get around to figuring out where the two lines go (evaporator core?, dryer?). Automotive cooling systems are mostly a mystery to me. Thanks.

Old July 13th, 2022, 06:31 PM

Do I have to evacuate the system before I can remove these two lines from my currently installed AC compressor?
Yes. Otherwise, when the lines are loosened the refrigerant will escape.

Is one line a low pressure line and the other a high pressure line?
Yes. From the picture, it looks as if the two lines may have a common flange so they are removed / installed at the same time and cannot be mixed up.
Old July 13th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Running On Empty

OMG, Kenneth - You know do do this stuff? I hope? Please say yes.
Old July 13th, 2022, 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I don't own the gauges for the AC system, but I've been looking at some to purchase. I'm reading up on them & the various qualities of each and the various components of each. Since I can't drive the truck without a serpentine belt & the AC compressor is locked up, I'm moving forward w/ performing this R&R myself. I suspect I need some type of refrigerant container to contain the refrigerant? Any ideas on this aspect?