The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by redoldsman
All I said is the damn stuff worked good on the gas tank I did. I don't give a **** what is in it as long as it works. Now I remember why I quit participating on this thread and you will never see me make a post on here again.
I could care less.
Old June 28th, 2022, 04:13 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - What did you decide for the AC installation? Not happening until after 4th of July return from Florida? I'm interested in knowing how well the yard monkeys are working out - they're supposed to be there today & tomorrow?

I mistakenly ordered the incorrect product from Amazon for weed control on my lawn. Before I even opened the package I had already received a return shipping label and a refund - that was fast. I took the package to the UPS Store on my way to the club driving range.

I spent about 2 hours on the range trying to find my swing. I had a sturdy 4' length of 3/8' diameter steel rod laying in the man-cave. I burnished off some surface rust from both ends, grabbed some Gorilla tape and headed to the driving range. I taped my iPhone to the steel rod and recorded my swings. Even after having shallowed out my swing plane, I am still over-the-top and casting - losing immense distance and control. The videos were real eye openers. Glad I made the recordings.
Old June 28th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I spent about 2 hours on the range trying to find my swing. I had a sturdy 4' length of 3/8' diameter steel rod laying in the man-cave. I burnished off some surface rust from both ends, grabbed some Gorilla tape and headed to the driving range. I taped my iPhone to the steel rod and recorded my swings. Even after having shallowed out my swing plane, I am still over-the-top and casting - losing immense distance and control. The videos were real eye openers. Glad I made the recordings.
Norm - Pretty ingenious with the phone set-up. Best of luck getting your swing back in the groove.
Old June 28th, 2022, 04:48 PM

I could care less.
Have a Snickers Norm

Old June 28th, 2022, 04:52 PM

Good evening guys,

Well, I read my buddy like a book I've read 5-times. He balked at my suggested route for riding tomorrow, saying he thought it might be a little long, and asked if I had an alternate route in mind. I said no, I had worked exclusively on shaving miles off the route I proposed because I really wanted to get him down into that area around Echo Bluff State Park because it's so hilly and scenic. I told him he could pick out a route to his liking and I'd be at our usual meeting point whenever he needed me to be there. Well, he came back with a route that was only 1-hour of actual riding time less than the the one I proposed (45-miles less). Oh well, I tried.

Any of you guys seen the thread about the "supposed" 1964 4-4-2, 4-speed, convertible for sale for $27.5K? Considerable debate on whether it is a legit 4-4-2 without adequate documentation, but it is possibly legit. Even if it isn't, I think it's a great value at that price, and I'd love to have it if I had the room. I've always wanted to have a classic convertible, and it would certainly fit the bill.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 28th, 2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old June 28th, 2022, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - For that price I think the car is a solid steal. As is typical of this site, everyone opens their condescending pie hole to beat the living $hit out of everything. There’s nothing correct about anything and everyone is going to beat it up.
Old June 28th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Chris - For that price I think the car is a solid steal. As is typical of this site, everyone opens their condescending pie hole to beat the living $hit out of everything. There’s nothing correct about anything and everyone is going to beat it up.
Norm - I agree 100%, that for that price, it's a steal, regardless of it's pedigree. If you can get past the possibility that the seller may be purposely misrepresenting the car as a real 4-4-2, it is still a great deal, and a helluva well done clone of a very rare car. No matter though, I went back to the site to show the car to my wife, and it has either sold, or the seller got so much grief he pulled the listing. Who knows, maybe it will show up again.
Old June 28th, 2022, 08:40 PM

I try not to critique any cars that are owned here without being asked to by the owner. I will critique cars in public sales as an educational tool, with the acknowledgement they are not perfect, nor can anyone expect them to be. I know you didn't mean me in particular.
Old June 29th, 2022, 02:35 AM

I could care less.
This thread used to be so much fun
Old June 29th, 2022, 02:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got to work to find that the overtime people signed off 65 wheels. That leaves an even 100 for the rest of the day. Barring anything unforeseen we should be done by lunch again.

Jamesbo you're getting water from Australia? You'll have to hold the tank upside down when you pour it in.

Norm the AC is on hold. I couldn't get the day off work on Thursday and yesterday I found out I have a funeral to go to in the afternoon. I probably won't go but it's something to consider. I did call another guy to come have a look, maybe he'll come in lower than a king's ransom. I had to laugh, he asked if this was my only air conditioning and if I was in desperation. I said no there's another one for the upstairs and it doesn't work either, I just take a box fan with me to every room. We'll see what he says.

So the yard people were there yesterday. They did a good job. Cleaned up real good and did everything in a day. They didn't do as much as I had expected, but I got my money's worth anyway so I didn't say anything. Besides it was Mom's money and she was happy.

Rain. For once I'm not peeved about the rain. It's cooled things off immensely and it's almost bearable in the house. But it's going to make the grass grow and I'm still without a mower. Eh, I'm not worried.

Okay big meeting in a few minutes. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old June 29th, 2022, 04:43 AM

Good morning guys,

Gonna be one of those weird weather days for riding. It's only 55° right now at 0630, and will be 90° when I get home around 1600. One word for preparation, layers. Glad I got large saddle bags to strip clothes off throughout the day. Gotta leave outta here about 0830 to meet my buddy.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old June 29th, 2022, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This thread used to be so much fun
Ditto.
Old June 29th, 2022, 03:47 PM

Any of you folks down south feel anything from the South Carolina earthquake? 3.5 on the Richter scale.
Old June 30th, 2022, 01:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Not even 4. One of the inspectors died over the weekend and his funeral is today. So we are all starting early and ending at noon so the inspectors, and anyone else, can go to the funeral at 4pm.

Didn't feel any earthquake, Dan. Haven't even heard about it. I spent a lot of time in California over the years but was never in an earthquake. Many years ago there was an earthquake on the south side of Chicago. Made the news and everything. At the time the earthquake would have occurred, I was in the house watching TV. My sister came home and said, did you feel the earthquake? Nope, had no clue. I must be a natural isolator.

Had another guy come out to look at the AC. He determined the upstairs unit is low on freon. Most likely a leak in the inside unit. He's going to get back with me in the next couple days with some prices. I sure hope it's less than the other guy. He laughed because my furnace(s) have a pilot light.

Guess it's time to get to work. I might even make the Awful house today. Rain off and on. This week has gone pretty fast I think. Have a good day everyone, well, once it actually gets going.

Old June 30th, 2022, 02:59 AM

Yeah Mike pilots on furnaces is like carburetors on cars- old.. But both worked well for many years.... I remember when I worked on furnaces for a utility ( people were on a appliance service plan) When I saw ancient furnaces I would ask just how old is that thing?? They usually didn't know, I would ask why it had not been replaced? "still works, I can't afford a new one". I would check data plate and see it was a , say 1973. Later when I was leaving sometimes I would see their nice new car in garage. "Wow nice new truck you got there." They would talk about the vehicles they have had over the years.... "Why did you get rid of the 73 Blazer you had?, "Ah it was getting old and undependable". Yep.... There is no excitement or bling in a furnace/ a/c unit in the basement.....
Old June 30th, 2022, 10:22 AM

Good afternoon guys,

Hope this pic brings a smile to your face!

Hope ya'll have a wonderful day!
Old June 30th, 2022, 01:59 PM

Hope this pic brings a smile to your face!
It did.
Old June 30th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
It did.
Good deal! They are a constant source of amusement around our house, just funny, funny, loving dogs!
Old June 30th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Running On Empty

Sold the last of my guitar amplifiers to a very nice young (35y.o.) man who has a nice local band in the area - they only play their own original material - tasty compositions I should say, as well. I have my vintage 1987 Fender American Standard E-Series Stratocaster listed on Reverb - which hasn't had any real bites for ~3 months. I may need to reduce the price to get it to move.

Next, on the shopping block will be the Indian Chief Vintage motorcycle. I am so torn up about letting it go. I've basically stripped it down, cleaned/polished all the chrome, frame & wheels so far; next, will be the cleaning/finishing of the leather. What I'd really like to do is pack up shop for several months and head out on a whirlwind tour of every second hand road across North, Central & South America. When you put in as much time as I do on maintaining equipment I hate to see this stuff go; maybe, just maybe...
Old June 30th, 2022, 05:17 PM

Sold the last of my guitar amplifiers to a very nice young (35y.o.) man who has a nice local band in the area - they only play their own original material - tasty compositions I should say, as well. . .
Norm - Congrats on the sale, and good luck with the Stratocaster. I'm pretty sure I know how you're feeling about putting your Indian up for sale. I'm sure you have tons of wonderful memories of being out on that bike, and trying to deconflict those memories with not riding much anymore, and the bike just sitting. I haven't been riding nearly as much as I have in years past, and more and more I find myself wondering why in the hell I've got two bikes that I'm keeping up with yearly State taxes, plates, insurance, and normal maintenance? Best of luck working the bike sale out in your brain, I know I'm struggling!
Old July 1st, 2022, 03:01 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept okay with the fan on but woke up to a hot house. I hope that guy calls today with an excellent price for AC and can get to it soon. I need my dog back.

Norm, if you have the space and it isn't a financial burden, just keep the bike. If you sell there will be a time when you want it back, and will probably go get another one. Put it in the living room so you can enjoy it all the time.

Jamesbo how is your housekeeper with the sorry-*** husband?

Got my flights listed for this weekend going to Daytona. I hate that 6 1/2 hour drive, but I also hate putting up with the grief of the airport, plus it's a lot of walking. I was going to use the excuse that flights would be full and hard to get on, but I looked and they are wide open. Odd. So I'm listed. Hope I don't have any trouble.

Okay time to get this circus started. Hope everyone has a good Friday and safe 4th of July weekend.

Old July 1st, 2022, 07:31 PM

Well lookie there, it’s actually hotter than a firecracker on the Fourth of July.

Last edited by Fun71; July 1st, 2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old July 1st, 2022, 07:38 PM

Hell it is even hot here today. No work on H/O tonight. Big work tomorrow.
Old July 2nd, 2022, 07:57 AM

Good morning guys,

Raining and thunder here this morning, so just trying to comfort Monty right now. Today's opportunity for a car show is a bust. There are also shows scheduled for tomorrow and on the 4th, but the weather is iffy for both.

Car pictures from last night's cruise-in can be seen here if you're interested:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8/#post1437314

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 2nd, 2022, 07:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone,

Well here I am in Daytona. Left the house early, which is a good thing because there is no longer any place dedicated parking for non-revs. In fact there are big signs saying No Parking For Non Revs. I ended up parking in the deck at my work and walking probably a half mile to the terminal. Flight was delayed, got an okay seat it wasn't terrific, but my friends picked me up and it's been a great day. So everything is a success.

Tomorrow afternoon we are headed to Orlando to Universal Studios. They have a White Castle, and a Portillo's. So good Chicago food tomorrow. Then back home on Monday.

And now I'm beat. Hope everyone has a good and safe weekend.

Old July 2nd, 2022, 07:47 PM

Hey Mike, is that clergy only parking or what?
Old July 3rd, 2022, 03:36 AM

Yeah I was am wondering what a Rev is also, Mike. Chris, how is wifey doing? Well Wednesday we leave for the Nats. Car is all good and still pretty clean from homecoming. I am not going to clean it before we leave as a clean car usually guarantees rain. Had a big campfire over at the barn a couple nights ago. A whole bunch of neighbors came, about 30. Some I never met before, one of the people who was new was looking at the Olds in barn and him and his wife was absolutely amazed that I planned to take a 51 year old car to Tennessee! Actually the Olds is very comfortable, seems right at home on freeways going 75 with the 2.56 rear, brakes are good. Well have a good 4th guys!!
Old July 3rd, 2022, 06:18 AM
Running On Empty

Rev = Revenue
Old July 3rd, 2022, 07:01 AM

Greg, my '71 was a comfortable car as well, and there was plenty of leg room, which is nice on long drives. Gonna cook up a couple of racks of ribs later today to take to my nieces place tomorrow. I will probably hit a car show in Zeeland, Mi. next Saturday. My buddy who has been M.I.A. from any car events this year, called and wanted to know of any upcoming ones. We've been to that one before, a decent one in a small town.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
one of the people who was new was looking at the Olds in barn and him and his wife was absolutely amazed that I planned to take a 51 year old car to Tennessee!
I have some in-laws like that. One bought his kid a new car because the old one had 65K miles on it and he said that high mileage worried him. Years ago I bought a car from his parents that had 60K miles on it and they were getting rid of it because of the high mileage. Dang, 60K was just broken in in my book. My current vehicles have 130K to 150K on them and I daily drive and take trips in them.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 06:18 PM

Good evening guys,

Went to a big judged show in southwest St. Louis today. This show is traditionally put on over the 4th of July weekend by a well known car detailing company, and it was again this year. However, it also took on additional meaning this year as a charitable event for the widow and children of a well known St. Louis Mopar guy who died suddenly of a heart attack. All the proceeds went to the family. The MC said there were 546 entries. There were no classes, just Top 50 vehicles (cars & trucks combined) received nice 10" x 14" plaques. I was fortunate to crack the Top 50.

Old July 4th, 2022, 03:59 AM

Kenneth, on another thread you posted about fitting the gas cap in a notch to hold the license plate flap open.... WOW. I have had this and other old GM cars and never knew that. In fact just the other day I took the gas hose out of my Cutlass and the cap was sitting on the flap but when it flipped up the cap went up and caught in the bumper. I had to get on my knees and look up in there to get it back! Thanks for the tip, I will use it for sure!
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here's me being a dumbass. I thought my flight out this morning left at 8. It didn't, it left at 7. I had told my friends that I needed to be at the airport by 6. Oh for an 8:00 flight, if we leave at 7 we'll have plenty of time. I said that's not how it works. I didn't want to say too much because the man was leaving extra early for work to take me. So we lollygagged around the house, got to the airport at 10 to 7 and I said, I'm going to Atlanta. The agent said, at 1130? Hm. This is the last time I'm flying down here. I always have trouble getting home. Today it was my own fault, but it's trouble nonetheless. I didn't even want to try to get him to pick me up and take me back to the house. Sheesh.

Other than that it was a nice weekend. Got our car parts sorted and went into Orlando they have a Portillo's and White Castle. We ate both. Saw some other people and had a nice time.

Yes a non-rev , means non-revenue. When the company is tooting their own horn, they talk up the flight benefits like they are a gift from God. They actually feel like the non-revs are the bane of the operation. And the gate agents are the worst. However, when one of them want to go somewhere they employ little tricks so they get good seats on the plane before anyone else. Eh, boarding in 2 hours. When security opens I'll go in and get something to eat and watch the trainers take off and land.

Kenneth when I was a kid(20s) I worked at a shyster used car lot. We had an S10 Blazer that had 190K on it. I thought whoa, how did it ever get that many miles? Fast forward to today and I've seen cars with 250K.

Well wish me luck getting home. Not sure I'll get to Walmart for the groceries today, depending on how long it takes me to get to my car. Short work week, hope it's a good one.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Old July 4th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

Unfortunately, we usually can't enjoy the fireworks around us in the evening because Monty gets so freaked out and distressed. I'm not sure whether my wife has decided if she's going to sedate him tonight or not, because I know how much she hates to drug him. I am hoping she will because I really hate seeing him suffer.
Old July 4th, 2022, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Kenneth, on another thread you posted about fitting the gas cap in a notch to hold the license plate flap open.... WOW. I have had this and other old GM cars and never knew that.
Don't remember where I learned that, maybe from Dad when I was a kid, from my high school gear head friends, or during my stint as an attendant at a full-service gas station in the 80s.
Old July 4th, 2022, 12:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Don't remember where I learned that, maybe from Dad when I was a kid, from my high school gear head friends, or during my stint as an attendant at a full-service gas station in the 80s.
I learned it from the owner (Jim Hansen) of the Shell Service station where I worked (1969-1970).
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:21 PM

I learned it from the owner (Jim Hansen) of the Shell Service station where I worked (1969-1970).
Kermit?

Old July 4th, 2022, 05:26 PM

Drove up to Bloomfield yesterday and spent a day at my aunt's house with her and my mom, who was visiting. Mom will come down and see me for a few days this next weekend, so my butt is cleaning house.

My aunt was disappointed there were no fireworks visible from her drive, so she pulled out a few packs of bottle rockets. Since she wanted to know, I explained how to shoot them the right way (out of a bottle, a couple at a time) then proceeded to do it the wrong way by shelling a pack, leaning them on the curb, and lighting newspaper underneath all 15. Some flew off and went boom, others shot against the curb and went boom right there. 86 year old aunt claimed that was enough, so the other two packs got put back. I promised to bring a 60s cherry bomb next year.

Had good lunch there, then went home today. Saw mom, one aunt, one uncle and his longtime fiancee (so, sort of aunt), two cousins and their spouses, and one second cousin and his newborn son, a third cousin.
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Kermit?
That’s funny ****!!
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Drove up to Bloomfield yesterday and spent a day at my aunt's house with her and my mom, who was visiting. Mom will come down and see me for a few days this next weekend, so my butt is cleaning house.
John - Sounds like you had a nice visit. Always good to catch up with family!