The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2022, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Greg, you might catch some of this action up North.https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/07/m...outputType=amp
Dan - The Air National Guard unit in Battle Creek flys the A-10 Warthogs, or at least did. I would often get a glimpse of a couple during visits home.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 03:19 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Dan - The Air National Guard unit in Battle Creek flys the A-10 Warthogs, or at least did. I would often get a glimpse of a couple during visits home.
Selfridge (near Mt. Clemens, east side of the state) is the home of the Warthog in Michigan. I'd often see them fly overhead when visiting my grandparents home in Yale (this was years ago), not sure if they were flying between Selfridge and Wurtsmith. I've always been a big fan of military aircraft, and not only are they one of the most useful battlefield aircraft ever, they really are a sight to behold in flight.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 03:48 PM
Running On Empty

I was released from my USAF Active Duty contract in 1978 (Palace Chase) to finish my undergraduate program (Univ Of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign). In late summer 1977 USAF flew me to Edwards AFB asking me to commit to the B1 Bomber - which met my type classification. They brought a fistful of money, incentives, etc. & of course - another commitment contract. I declined. A couple months later B1 funding was completely shut down & mothballed. My early release date was 1 APR 78. In late December of 1977 USAF once again flew me to Edwards AFB with another fistful of money, incentives, etc. & of course - another commitment contract. This time I was taken to the A10 (prior to its official release into service). Congress shot down the B1 (for several reasons) and agreed to commit to the A10. I was guaranteed no reserve time & w/ a commitment of 4 years dedicated to the A10. I declined. I've seen the Hog many, many times. Very nice machine.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I've seen the Hog many, many times. Very nice machine.
Gotta be the greatest ground support aircraft ever built. Also gotta be the loudest aircraft for it's size I've ever heard, man those things are loud!
Old August 2nd, 2022, 04:03 PM

Supposedly an A-10 flew over here this afternoon around 5pm, never saw nor heard it. Saw them in a static display when we used to have the airshow here, pretty cool aircraft and one of my favorites.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 06:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Happy Hump Day. We're doing pretty well so far this morning. I like to have 20 by lunch, and I'm already at 18. The suck-*** wall guy I had last week is actually pretty good on the robot. Go figure.

Jamesbo are you going to be around next week at all?

So I've got this class to go to tomorrow. The description starts off, because we all learn at a different pace, we need to be tolerant of people who reach conclusions a different way. I can only imagine what a waste of time this will be. It's a program the company has bought, and everyone has to go to it. Sending a bunch of disgruntled mechanics to a feel-good class never works out well.

The government could save the taxpayers millions and make those models out of Legos. And then they'd have little people to blow up.

Might go out for lunch today. Haven't done that in awhile. The walls tend to close in and it's nice to get out of the building and see some daylight.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old August 3rd, 2022, 08:23 AM

I hate feel good things like that.

The way to get a crackerjack tech team, whether that be techs, engineers, designers, scientists, whatever, is to hire the best, keep the best, reward the best, and get rid of the rest. The problem is, they won't pay to keep the best, most of the best leaves, they can't fire the rest, and resentment forms in what is left of the best because they get saddled with these lumps that can't perform.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 08:35 AM

Good morning folks,

Slow morning and that's just fine! Nothing big on tap for today. Sunny and headed for a high of °95 this afternoon. Heavy rain and storms in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

Plenty of car events to choose from this coming weekend. The really large (300 to 400-cars) monthly cruise-in at the church is Friday evening, the cruise-in at the DQ in DeSoto is Saturday evening, and there is a judged show in Mascoutah, IL 60-miles away on Sunday. I've posted pics from the church and DQ cruises multiple times and they're both always well attended and 2 of my favorites. Right now I'm leaning towards going to both cruises and skipping the judged show, mainly due to proximity, and also because I don't really feel like detailing the car to "show worthy" cleanliness. Translation . . . I feel lazy!

Norm - How close are you getting to having the "Tractor" back together and firing her up? Good luck finishing it up, been thinking about ya and how it is going?

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 3rd, 2022, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks for the thoughts. I am not working outdoors in this pathetically hot humid evil weather. I've played 18 (riding) each day this week (M-W). Yesterday I played at some Yacht & Country Club ~100 miles from home - nice course, great condition but blazing hot. Today was worse than yesterday. The '71 CS ran flawlessly, but I've been noticing the fuel pump is beginning to drizzle fuel, smells like fuel, looks like fuel, must therefore be fuel - lol. I can see it drizzling from the top - somewhere. I'm pretty sure my hoses are secure & snug and it's most likely the diaphragm or where the top/bottom seam merge. At any rate, car is running awesome.

I have all the new components installed into the diesel tractor & the fan attached (but not tightened down yet). Inner fan shroud diffuser needs to be installed, outside fan shroud needs to be installed, the radiator re-attached/mounted, filled etc., vacuum reservoir re-installed, RH battery tray reinstalled, RH batter re-installed, positive & negative battery terminal re-installed, inner fender well reinstalled & then I'll fire it up w/o turning on the AC system. Pick up the manifold gauges, evacuate AC system then charge AC system. I had a screw puncture the LH rear tire ~3 months ago. I didn't remove the tire but did find the puncture and plugged it while it was on the truck. I think the plug isn't adhering as well as it should so soon as the AC system is done, I'll pull the truck inside man-cave, dismount the LH wheel and re-plug that tire. It should hole a second plug OK - we'll see. All the tires are big and only ~2 years old & at $300/each I'm not inclined to just run out and pick up a replacement when they have excellent tread remaining. I'll most likely rotate the tires when I get the AC system done, then the '71 CS fuel pump.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 12:44 PM
Running On Empty

I said the following:

Pick up the manifold gauges, evacuate AC system then charge AC system.
but, I already evacuated the AC system. What I should have said was pull a vacuum on the AC system. No, it isn't a pump - but instead operates as a vacuum pump via venturi suction. I did some fair research on this Air Vacuum Pump and it has been receiving rave reviews. Guys have been pulling 29.5"Hg w/ it. The ONLY downfall is you need a large capacity air compressor since a simple 5 gal air compressor tank won't cut the mustard (at least not in any reasonable period of time). It's rated down to 28.3"Hg@ MSL w/ an air consumption of 4.2 CFM @ 90psi. Since my 20 gal. compressor has a higher CFM and I can achieve 120 psi I'm hoping to get a good vacuum down to 29.92"Hg (or greater) - fingers crossed.

Pittsburgh Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors

For $15.99 they're selling like hot-cakes.

Old August 3rd, 2022, 01:34 PM
Running On Empty

Coping w/ oppressive heat...

Old August 3rd, 2022, 01:43 PM

Coping w/ oppressive heat...

Fake news . . . Doesn't work . . . Making me hot just looking at it!
Old August 3rd, 2022, 02:13 PM

Hi guys,

So, very seldom will I ever recommend a product to friends for fear of them being disappointed with the results. My wife took a chance on these glass cleaning cloths and I'll be damned if they aren't amazing. The window or glass surface can't be totally filthy or grimy to begin with, but otherwise just spray the glass surface with plain old water and dry with this cloth and you get completely streakless glass. I was very skeptical, but I've seen her work miracles several times with it now. I had her order me one on Amazon to detail my car and bikes with. They aren't cheap, $20, but they work like a charm.

Before/after pics of two unusual drop-leaf end tables (never seen ones like these) she picked up for $10, I'm guessing she'll easily get $100 or more for them.

Before/after pic of lighted, tall curio cabinet she picked up for $30. I'm betting she gets $250 - $300.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 3rd, 2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 03:28 PM

I know a Norwex sales girl.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I know a Norwex sales girl.
Was she good at her job, and can I assume you own at least one?
Old August 3rd, 2022, 04:22 PM

Was she good at her job, and can I assume you own at least one?
I own some other Norwex products, and she's pretty good at the sales and the knowledge.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 06:56 PM

Is that a box fan?
Old August 4th, 2022, 04:06 AM

Never seen a vacuum pump like that. Hope it works good.
Well Clare County wants to put a special assessment on anyone on Long Lake and the 1st setback. So I have one on lake they want about $137. and 4 setbacks they want about $33. each. That is going to be every year. NOT HAPPY! When I go to the store and spend money I get something. I just don't go to Walmart and give the cashier $270. just cuz they want it! That is what they want, me to pay more property taxes for nothing in return. Anyway I volunteered my barn to have a meeting at 10 on Saturday. The meeting at Clare County about this is August 12th. So I am going over to barn today and clean it up some, get some chairs and tables etc. UGH.... I hope there is a big turn out but what a hassle!! Lake front residential property taxes are already 9 times what non lake front taxes are! OK enough bitching already!
Old August 4th, 2022, 05:15 AM

Greg, On my lake the 1600 homes pay 90% of the whole counties property taxes So 1600 pay the majority for the 16000 residents
Old August 4th, 2022, 05:23 AM

Good morning guys,

Greg - Good luck on your efforts to challenge the additional taxes, that sucks. I know how it goes because my parent's house where my Sister now lives is on a small lake.

It stormed all night, not much sleep for any of us because Monty was a mess all night. It's just starting to let up a little now. We're all on the couch and my wife, Monty, and Maggie are all snoring so at least someone is getting some rest now!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 4th, 2022 at 05:28 AM.
Old August 4th, 2022, 08:04 AM
Running On Empty

Hot as Phuque!!! Pure evil. 👿 🥵
Old August 4th, 2022, 08:09 AM

Hot as Phuque!!! Pure evil. 👿 🥵
Not here, the front passing through cooled it off dramatically, 74° at 1000. The downside, humidity is 94%.
Old August 4th, 2022, 09:17 AM
Running On Empty

Temp=94F, RH=86%, Heat Index=104F.
Fan tightened/installed, diffuser/shroud installed, lots of wiring looms upgraded engine bay, radiator supports installed, radiator filled 50:50 antifreeze/coolant, RH battery tray installed. Installing inner fender well now then vacuum reservoir box. Picked up R134a and gauges at auto store.

Typical day wallowing in oil, grease, grime in the sauna.
Old August 4th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Running On Empty

Break time. Inner fender well installed - more likened to I won the battle - ugh. Exterior fender flare installed, vacuum reservoir box installed & vacuum lines routed/installed. All that remains is RH battery installation. Holy Fart Knockers - I'm rounding the corner. Fingers crossed.

Next:
(1) Start engine;
(2) Adjust final antifreeze/coolant level;
(3) Hook up manifold gauges;
(4) Vacuum AC system.
Old August 4th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Engine started - runs smooth and really, really quiet. I guess I should check the voltage at the battery to be sure the new ALT is putting out.
Pulled a vacuum w/ this Pittsburgh Air Vacuum Pump & achieved ~29.96" Hg
Closed both low & high pressure sides & still holding ~29.96" Hg after 15'.
I'm going to let it sit for another 45' to insure no leaks & holding @ ~29.96" Hg
Old August 4th, 2022, 04:26 PM

Norm - That's great, good job!
Old August 4th, 2022, 04:35 PM

Talking

Norm - That's great, good job!
Please don't forget I volunteered you to repair Tedd's washer/dryer
Old August 4th, 2022, 06:04 PM
Banned

Seeing a couple classmates I graduated with today.They came up for our 25th high school reunion which is on Saturday.They remember me called the stubborn German which I was at time.Also remember my 1st car,a 1989 Olds 98 I had which was a called a grandpa's car a lot.Was a good car for me,parents bought it for me from a grandfather In a family.Got me through high school and college.
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just as I suspected, that class yesterday was dumb as hell. We've had more in-depth CBTs. First thing the woman says, the senior VP likes this so that told us why we were there. Wonder what his head colors are.

Greg I share your disgruntlement. The lake I live on(Mom's place) is privately owned and pays property tax, yet the people around the lake, and to a lesser extent in the rest of the neighborhood, pay extra because of the amenity. It's called out on the tax bill. In my mind that's double taxing. Yet the county hates the lake and tries to drain it at every chance.

Well Friday. The lead isn't here, the overtime workers have turned out a ton of wheels already, and we're set up for an early out. Hope that works out. Have a good day everyone.

Old August 5th, 2022, 03:32 AM

How is BIL doing, Chris? Went to a auction yesterday. I thought of Dawn as there was lots of old dressers, book shelves, etc. They started with 2 rings, one on the household stuff and one on the barn/garage stuff. Before I went out to the barn stuff they auctioned off a set of old wooden chairs. Looked pretty nice to me, but couldn't get a bid and finally sold the set for $5.00! YES $1.25 each! Seemed like everything else went high. I bought nothing, but it was kinda fun.
Old August 5th, 2022, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
How is BIL doing, Chris?
Greg - Thanks for asking! I don't know if you saw my post earlier in the week or not, but he got out of the hospital and was home on Monday. I know my wife got updates earlier this week that he wasn't feeling all that well, experiencing some headaches and other symptoms, and really wasn't feeling up to visitors yet. I keep asking how he's doing, but we're really not getting alot of information on how he's been feeling the last couple of days. At this point we're hoping no news is good news.

The auction sounds like fun, I haven't been to one in years. Wow, 4 chairs for $5, that's the kind of deal you could make a good profit margin on! Let us know how the gathering goes on the tax issue and whether you have much support going into the meeting with the County. Have a great weekend!
Old August 5th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Thought I would drop in and say hi, looks like things are normal here (hectic), just like mine. Today I need to clean out the garage. That is move the 55 out of the way, so I can remove and load my washing machine that died last week, dryer died the week before. May not be able to load the washing machine by my self, just barely made the dryer, well see, may have to think about this awhile, where is my engine hoist when I need it? All kinds of family stuff going on, I need a road trip and get out of here for a while, I'm beginning to be a grump, worse than normal. I just stopped in to vent and bitch, if the washing machine goes in easy I'll be a happy camper and back to just a pain in the ***....Tedd
Tedd, you a happy camper or just a PITA?
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Banned

I am proud of my son,was offered to buy drugs and said no.He also alerted a police officer which the guy was arrested that offered him the drugs.Police officer told him good job on making the right choice knowing he had been raised right making the right choices in life
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:27 AM
Running On Empty

Blueberry pie Hagen Das Vanilla

Old August 5th, 2022, 01:26 PM

Norm

Jacque says, When he worked in a hotel making tons of French toast. They used melted vanilla ice cream. Since I know in this heat it's gonna melt. Ya oughta save sum fer sum French toast
Old August 5th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - OMG. Sounds delicious. Time to whip up some French toast this weeekend.
Old August 5th, 2022, 01:59 PM

Speaking of blueberries, I made challa french toast w/blueberries, haven't made it in awhile. Jim, I'll have to try making it w/melted vanilla ice cream in place of heavy cream. I do need to make a BB pie, been a long time. Also need to get more berries as 4lbs won't last. Off to the Gilmore tomorrow for the Red Barns Spectacular.
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:29 PM
Banned

Was a good morning,new tool dealer came in and he is pretty nice.Matco,last dealer was not worth having.This one,handed him two broken sockets and handed me 2 new replacement sockets.Also found me a new winter beater car, during lunch break a 2003 Buick Lesabre.Last one died on me last week,rods pounding.Did not complain,had 450,000 miles on it,a 1998 Bonneville that was rusty.Was good to me which I bought with 200,000 miles on it
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:01 PM

Tedd, you a happy camper or just a PITA?
Can't I be a pain in the *** and a happy camper? I mean, with me, you get two for the price of one. I now can wash and dry my own clothes in my own house. Thanks, Frank, for giving me help dragging said hardware through the garage and into its cubbyhole..Tedd
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Dan/Greg/Jim - Please don't tell me none of you have never spent the day picking Thimbleberries? It's that time of year gentlemen.