The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2021, 05:26 PM

Good evening guys,

We had our basketball games this evening. We only had 8 boys to begin with, and lost one half way through the 2nd half due to illness. Lost our 1st game 22 - 14, and won our 2nd game 20 - 8. I was really glad to see the boys get a taste of victory, they played their hearts out both games and I was really proud of them!

There are several hard hit areas from the tornadoes last night, but my heart goes out to those poor folks in Mayfield, KY, it is just horrible there!

I hope everyone had a great day!

Old December 11th, 2021, 07:32 PM

Yeah, as a Florida Man, I'm used to hurricanes either coming or not. This tornado thing is too random for me. That town got hit badly.

Worked today. Had to stick around since someone had locked out the conveyor we were testing. Got to do it at their lunch, then our management got us lunch, which was nice. Left mid afternoon, went to the records store, then Advance Auto, then Menards, then the car wash, then the grocery store.

Bought a lot of random stuff at the record store. LPs, Quad LPs, cassettes, 8 tracks. Did not buy their one quad 8, I don't like that artist. My ultrasonic record cleaner died right after that picture a month ago, so it's off being fixed. May play a cassette or a previously cleaned LP here shortly.

I'm glad your boys won one. My JV ball team lost all 23 back in 1997 and 8.
Old December 11th, 2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm glad your boys won one. My JV ball team lost all 23 back in 1997 and 8.
John - Thanks for the kind sentiment. I played on a couple of those winless teams myself and it wasn't any fun. I hope you found some interesting stuff at the music store. Reading you talk about your system has me longing for some hi-fidelity sound.
Old December 11th, 2021, 08:44 PM

The weather here was much to do about nothing

Prayers sent for those areas that got hit hard

Mike, My 2500 suburban saved my life. You may [or may not] remember when I got rear ended at a a full stop at a red light by a semi

Norm, You must sure like pasta

Do you ever make Aglio olio?
Old December 12th, 2021, 12:24 AM
GCH

I,m glad that we don´t have tornadoes here , saw it on the news here horrible pictures.
Last weekend we was eating someting that we call "julbord" here in Sweden and it was
just awesome ( the warm food has not arrived from the kitchen yet on the pics )
Have not heard anything about an x-ray yet so we,ll see. Have no pain so
i was in the woods yesterday and took down a tree leaning over a road.
Suburban sounds nice Mike , i guess this is the old square body model then. A person i know
here called me and asked if i was intrested in parts to my squarebody truck or else he should
go to the scrap yard No no i said i,m coming and it was two full 8 foot truckbeds with parts , some
brand new. Not often this happens.

Last edited by GCH; December 12th, 2021 at 01:18 AM.
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
I,m glad that we don´t have tornadoes here , saw it on the news here horrible pictures.
Last weekend we was eating someting that we call "julbord" here in Sweden and it was
just awesome ( the warm food has not arrived from the kitchen yet on the pics )
Have not heard anything about an x-ray yet so we,ll see. Have no pain so
i was in the woods yesterday and took down a tree leaning over a road.
Suburban sounds nice Mike , i guess this is the old square body model then. A person i know
here called me and asked if i was intrested in parts to my squarebody truck or else he should
go to the scrap yard No no i said i,m coming and it was two full 8 foot truckbeds with parts , some brand new. Not often this happens.
Glen - Wow, that is some spread of food, it looks delicious. In the 2nd pic, the lowest left item on the table, is that smoked Salmon or some other type of smoked fish? Boy do I love smoked Salmon, I could eat that stuff all day. I will have to look up "Julbord", I am assuming it is some type of festival or holiday.

Congrats on getting the truck parts, that's a great deal! Also glad to hear your knee is not causing you any pain right now. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season!
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:33 AM

Guys,
Here's Sunday morning class on "Julbord":

Julbord is a Swedish Christmas dinner. Literally Julbord means 'Christmas table', so basically, they prepare various types of traditional foods in a big table on Christmas Eve and celebrate it till Christmas. The feast can also be held at any time during the Christmas season.

The first course generally includes a variety of pickled herring and cured salmon, the second is bread, ham, liver pâté, red beet salad, and cheese, and the final course is comprised of the warm dishes with Janssons frestelse, dopp i grytan, meatballs, sausages, pork ribs, and cabbage.

Glen, sign me up for the next Julbord you're going to, I'll be there soon!
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:41 AM

Man, How I'm hungry
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Man, How I'm hungry
I can see a big ol Jame's country breakfast going in the skillet soon!
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:50 AM

Chris, I wish but not today

Believe it or not, a lady is shipping her dad down here from Alaska and is going to pick is resting place from the pics, I'm gonna take this morning and text to her

That's a beautiful lay out of my kind of food

I love smoked fish
Old December 12th, 2021, 05:30 AM
Running On Empty

Do you ever make Aglio olio?
James - Twice, which is nearly the same number of times I've made homemade pasta with my Kitchenaid Pro Series mixer pasta attachments. Fresh pasta is absolutely delicious.
Old December 12th, 2021, 05:43 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn - That feast looks absolutely wonderful. Reading through what defines a julbord, I'm reminded our family used to make glögg during the holidays along with freshly baked ginger bread cookies.
Old December 12th, 2021, 06:39 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Guys,
Here's Sunday morning class on "Julbord":

Julbord is a Swedish Christmas dinner. Literally Julbord means 'Christmas table', so basically, they prepare various types of traditional foods in a big table on Christmas Eve and celebrate it till Christmas. The feast can also be held at any time during the Christmas season.

The first course generally includes a variety of pickled herring and cured salmon, the second is bread, ham, liver pâté, red beet salad, and cheese, and the final course is comprised of the warm dishes with Janssons frestelse, dopp i grytan, meatballs, sausages, pork ribs, and cabbage.

Glen, sign me up for the next Julbord you're going to, I'll be there soon!
We usually eat one "julbord" out at a restaurant and then we have such food at home also but not so much maybe
There are 6 trays of different smoked Salmon on pic 2 , just love Salmon we also. This the time you wish your belley was
larger And on new years day everybody says i should loose weight but it goes to h&ll after a couple of weeks

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Glenn - That feast looks absolutely wonderful. Reading through what defines a julbord, I'm reminded our family used to make glögg during the holidays along with freshly baked ginger bread cookies.
Yes Norm glögg are very popular under chrismas , both with alcohol and not. My favorite chrismas food is "lut fisk" the norwegian
way but don´t think i can explain this type of fish. Served with boiled potato,thick white sause,green peas / brussel sprouts , fried
pork and the pan fat over the white sause and pepper and salt , the fish is just melting in your mouth , just waiting for more .
In summertime this restuarant on the countryside have "smorgasbord" so we have been there a lot.

Lutefisk - Wikipedia

Have a nice weekend everybody , sitting and looking at cruising videos on youtube sometimes and wish summer soon is here
again so we can here the Oldsmobile engines rumble
Old December 12th, 2021, 07:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

No surprise I slept really well last night. Got up and hit the Awful house, had a good time, lots of guys there.

Glenn that looks like something you'd see at a hotel buffet. Beautiful. I could really get into something like that. Good score on the parts. I'm trying to get a picture of the Suburban to load up now, maybe it will be ready by the time I send this.

Jamesbo I do remember you getting wrecked. You never told us the outcome. I hope you cleaned up from the truck driver. You said the Supermodel was to the junkyard and cleaned the truck out before you woke up in the hospital. The Suburban did its job.

It spit rain the rest of the day and all night, but now the sun is out. Need to do some laundry, go to Walmart, take some stuff to the house, fun stuff.

Have ya's a great day everyone.

Old December 12th, 2021, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
We usually eat one "julbord" out at a restaurant and then we have such food at home also but not so much maybe
There are 6 trays of different smoked Salmon on pic 2 , just love Salmon we also. This the time you wish your belley was
larger
Glenn - As I mentioned, I just love smoked Salmon, but it is very expensive around me, even in small amounts. I grew up in Michigan where Greg, Dan, and Jeff who are regulars on this thread live now. I suspect the Michigan climate is very similar to Sweden, long cold snowy winters and short pleasant summers. The Great Lakes that surround Michigan have large salmon populations of several species/sub-species. When I was growing up my family was big into fishing. In the Fall when the Salmon would come into the rivers to spawn we would always go on a couple of 2 or 3-day Salmon fishing trips, and would catch enough to last for several months. My Dad, who was a real outdoorsman, would smoke much of the Salmon, as we also did for alot of the wild game we would kill hunting. We had smoked venison, pheasants, quail, and turkeys. I sure miss those days!!!
Old December 12th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Always room for one more

Good grief. If I ever learn how to use this GD thing the right way we'll all be in trouble. Who was it that said I only posted little pictures?

Old December 12th, 2021, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Good grief. If I ever learn how to use this GD thing the right way we'll all be in trouble. Who was it that said I only posted little pictures?
Mike - That's a nice looking rig! Sure doesn't look like much rust for the age! Not that you really need it where you are, but is it a 4x4? If not, does it have the limited slip rear end? Good find buddy!
Old December 12th, 2021, 07:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
My favorite chrismas food is "lut fisk" the norwegian way but don´t think i can explain this type of fish. Served with boiled potato,thick white sause,green peas / brussel sprouts , fried pork and the pan fat over the white sause and pepper and salt , the fish is just melting in your mouth , just waiting for more.
Glenn - My mother's family have their origins in the old country - Prussia (which, of course no longer exists). My mother was born & raised in Wisconsin and she was an exceptional cook but perhaps even more to the point regarding lutefisk, my mother was extraordinary in the preservation of canned meats. Her large extended family (which included our family) would have fish boils several times per year. At some point during my adolescent years, she began making lutefisk with Lake Michigan "Whitefish"; albeit, I'm familiar with lutefisk. I haven't had lutefisk in over 30 years.
Old December 12th, 2021, 07:54 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - That's a dapper looking Suburban. As mentioned previously, the NPS provided me with a 1980 4x4 Suburban for three years while conducting my research on the Buffalo National River, Arkansas (1981-1983). No body side molding, no two tone paint - plain jane NPS green which was the exact same color used on USFS vehicles.
Old December 12th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Always room for one more

Nope, not 4 wheel drive. The knobby tires make it look like it. No rust anywhere, interior is like new. Windshield has a little star in it right in the center about an inch down from the top. I'm not going to worry about it unless it grows. The latches on the back doors need adjustment, otherwise a pretty tight rig. Funny, I was really looking for a Rabbit or a Golf or some $hitty little car, but I think I made the right choice here. I can tow, haul, it can stand in for the dogmobile, it's just a nice vehicle I can take anywhere. And driving down the road it sounds like a big block. It only gets the rattling diesel sound at idle.

Norm lucky you getting a Suburban to play with. Was it a stick shifter as well?

I am currently waiting for a guy to call me so he can go with me to take the Uhaul truck back. Tiger is napping.

Old December 12th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Running On Empty

Was it a stick shifter as well?
Automatic w/ 4x4 floor shift engagement.
Old December 12th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Mike, I love the colors
Old December 12th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Glenn, nice spread. Mike. the suburban looks to be in pretty good shape, I'm used to rust on vehicles more than ten years old. Mild but windy today, I plan on grabbing the camera and telephoto lens to try and get a couple of pics this afternoon, out at the wastewater property.
Old December 12th, 2021, 10:29 AM
GCH

Glenn that looks like something you'd see at a hotel buffet. Beautiful. I could really get into something like that. Good score on the parts. I'm trying to get a picture of the Suburban to load up now, maybe it will be ready by the time I send this.
Mike your Suburban looked just awesome , wish i had a Suburban in that great shape. They are very hard to find here
and if the car is 30 years old or more they are very cheap to own.

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - As I mentioned, I just love smoked Salmon, but it is very expensive around me, even in small amounts. I grew up in Michigan where Greg, Dan, and Jeff who are regulars on this thread live now. I suspect the Michigan climate is very similar to Sweden, long cold snowy winters and short pleasant summers. The Great Lakes that surround Michigan have large salmon populations of several species/sub-species. When I was growing up my family was big into fishing. In the Fall when the Salmon would come into the rivers to spawn we would always go on a couple of 2 or 3-day Salmon fishing trips, and would catch enough to last for several months. My Dad, who was a real outdoorsman, would smoke much of the Salmon, as we also did for alot of the wild game we would kill hunting. We had smoked venison, pheasants, quail, and turkeys. I sure miss those days!!!
Yes Chris , maybe climate in Michigan is similar to us here , but the winters was colder and more snow when
i was younger than now. Sounds like you had a great time in Michigan , thanks for sharing. Personaly i think
a longer summer would be nice.

Glenn - My mother's family have their origins in the old country - Prussia (which, of course no longer exists). My mother was born & raised in Wisconsin and she was an exceptional cook but perhaps even more to the point regarding lutefisk, my mother was extraordinary in the preservation of canned meats. Her large extended family (which included our family) would have fish boils several times per year. At some point during my adolescent years, she began making lutefisk with Lake Michigan "Whitefish"; albeit, I'm familiar with lutefisk. I haven't had lutefisk in over 30 years.
Thanks for sharing Norm , i think a lot of knoweledge going lost when elderly people pass , sadly . Now we buy
nearly finished lutfisk but our mother did this the old way with the dried fish and lye , remember that we chew
that dried fish when i was young , it was pretty hard to chew .

Old December 12th, 2021, 10:33 AM

I have a short Tahoe which hasn't moved in a couple years due to some problems. It's on the project list.

Old December 12th, 2021, 10:36 AM

Glenn and Norm, I draw the line at surstromming. There should be a accent mark over the "o" of ".." Sour herring I think it translates to.
Old December 12th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Running On Empty

surstromming. There should be a accent mark over the "o" of ".." Sour herring I think it translates to.
Surströmming
Old December 12th, 2021, 10:47 AM
Running On Empty

There used to exist a lowercase letter "o" with umlaut above the lowercase letter "o" in my father's name Göeltz. It was removed upon entry at Ellis Island to the name Geltz, instead.
Old December 12th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Always room for one more

Wow Koda a two door Tahoe. Don't see those every day. Funny, I had an S10 pickup that had the Tahoe trim level. This was 1991, before the Tahoe vehicle existed. The other levels(besides basic no-bones) were Sport and Durango. After the Tahoe became its own vehicle, people said a Suburban was too big, but would buy a Tahoe. I find that laughable. It's what, a foot longer? Some people.

My Burb is a 90. Norm was your Forestry truck a big block?

Dan I tell people here our cars rust up to the windows. They don't believe me. Look up Da Yoopers, Rusty Chevrolet. I won't post it, I remember well cars just like it when I was growing up.

So I got the Uhaul turned in, got to the store, and have had lunch. Not bad for the last 3 hours. I think that's it for my going out today. I'll pack up a bunch of stuff and get it ready for tomorrow. I need to go after work and put the trash out.

Old December 12th, 2021, 11:01 AM
GCH

Glenn and Norm, I draw the line at surstromming. There should be a accent mark over the "o" of ".." Sour herring I think it translates to.
Have tried surströmming one time when i was
drunk but it dont tasted well. But a lot of people
here like it. But it,s fun to se youtube videos when
they opens the can
Old December 12th, 2021, 12:27 PM

Sorry, I lost my appetite
Old December 12th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

I've really lost it this afternoon. I've been watching "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World" for over 1'45" I thought I'd watch a little of it, but I'm so enthralled I'm watching it in its entirety. As I recall, our family watched it for the first time at the Drive-In Theatre after its release in 1963. I'm not sure we saw it in 1963 but I'm sure it wasn't long after release - my folks loved going to the Drive-In Theater.

What an amazing cast of characters in one film:

Spencer Tracy with Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Dorothy Provine, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, and Jonathan Winters.
Old December 12th, 2021, 02:30 PM

"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World"
Norm - You're spot on, great cast and a hilarious movie. My brother and I would just crack up watching that movie as kids. We'd have watched it a hundred times if we could have!
Old December 12th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Believe it or not, a lady is shipping her dad down here from Alaska and is going to pick is resting place from the pics, I'm gonna take this morning and text to her.
James - Are the remains being shipped as a body or ashes? Did you decide on a resting place?
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:33 PM
Always room for one more

Norm do you make house calls? My dryer has gone tango uniform. It has multiple problems, the latest is it doesn't heat. Yesterday it heated about half way, today, nada. I can't remember how old this guy is, around 20 for sure.

I've never seen It's a Mad-----World. I have seen Professor [Evil]'s car in the museum. It really does go up with a scissor lift, and is powered by Volkswagen.

Gotta get ready for work tomorrow. All 5 days. Who wants to do that. I think we're having a meal some time this week. That will be nice.

Need to call my Mom and then off to bed. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 12th, 2021, 04:42 PM

Koda, nice Tahoe. My last name at one time had the umlaut above the first "U" in my name, probably lost it when the granparents migrated here from Germany. My brother and I saw A Mad, Mad, Mad World when it was at the local theater, my guess at a second run theater. One I have always enjoyed.
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Check out "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" sometime. The entire movie is free on YouTube.

Regarding your clothes dryer. Electric or gas? Provide the Manufacturer & Model Number if you're interested in performing the work yourself I can look up the most likely parts in helping you to troubleshoot and get you the part(s) to replace.
Old December 12th, 2021, 07:57 PM

Ahhh, smoked fish. One of my coworkers regularly goes deep sea fishing out of San Diego and comes back with way, way more fish than he can eat so he shares with all us landlubbers. I currently have a bunch o fish waiting for its turn on the smoker - bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, red rockfish, and yellowtail.
Old December 12th, 2021, 08:52 PM

James - Are the remains being shipped as a body or ashes? Did you decide on a resting place?

They shipped him down packed in ice packs . He will be refrigerated at the funeral home until Friday. I sent some pics to his daughter. All of our forms [contracts] are on line. Although most people come out and pick out their lot, it's not unusual for people to buy sight unseen. It is unusual to come here from that far away [Alaska] Blue ridge, Warner Robins and other cities around the state are fairly common

Even more unusual is the daughters want mom ]previously deceased] moved her [that will take some time and paper work]
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:18 AM
Running On Empty

They shipped him down packed in ice packs . He will be refrigerated at the funeral home until Friday. I sent some pics to his daughter. All of our forms [contracts] are on line. Although most people come out and pick out their lot, it's not unusual for people to buy sight unseen. It is unusual to come here from that far away [Alaska] Blue ridge, Warner Robins and other cities around the state are fairly common

Even more unusual is the daughters want mom ]previously deceased] moved her [that will take some time and paper work]
Eventually, what goes in the ground - whole body or ashes? I'm assuming the whole body, yes? For some reason I thought your green cemetery only buried ashes - maybe I'm incorrect? Why would anyone pay to ship an entire body 4300 miles only to have it turned to ashes upon arrival? Will there be a burial service for these individuals attended by any family members? Rather interesting.