The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2021, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I ain't no bulldog fan. If you live here long enough you get tired of them wolf wolf

Norm, I enjoyed my Manele;s BBQ shrimp [that doesn't have anything to do with BBQ. ]The should be called shrimp swimming in spiced butter with onions But my avocados still aren't ripe stay tuned
James - I would have bet you'd be a Bulldog fan, but I'd have been wrong! Those shrimp sure look delicious, man some of you guys can really cook!
Old December 5th, 2021, 07:16 AM

Chris, Nope

"Emory, Emory we are the boys that sip Our tea"
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Running On Empty

James - Shrimps look great. Of course, depending on how soon I need to use them, I store whole (uncut) avocados in the refrigerator to ripen - provides exceptional texture and taste when ripened in the refrigerator.

I have a new windshield cowl for the F250 tractor arriving this Tuesday which I'm looking forward to installing. I don't have the mindset (yet) to begin moving forward on the '71 CS convertible PS upgrade - I'm rather done with repairs to anything for just a little while. It seems this past year has been the year of failures and maintenance on numerous items for me.

Therefore, I'm looking for something more pleasant & accommodating. Seems like a good day to break out the Bourbon ***** recipe and create something "rewarding".
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm rather done with repairs to anything for just a little while. It seems this past year has been the year of failures and maintenance on numerous items for me.

Therefore, I'm looking for something more pleasant & accommodating. Seems like a good day to break out the Bourbon ***** recipe and create something "rewarding".
Norm - You've certainly taken on more than your share of either new or R&R projects this year, no one in their right mind would blame you for needing a break! Have a great day with a different kind of R&R, good ol rest and relaxation!
Old December 5th, 2021, 02:02 PM

I know you young nimble guys are gonna laugh but I bought one of these

Old December 5th, 2021, 02:23 PM

I know you young nimble guys are gonna laugh but I bought one of these
James - I don't think any of us are so young and nimble that we couldn't use one of those! Certainly better than hurting yourself. Those new tailgates that have the fold down steps are sure neat. Every once in awhile the manufacturers do build a better mousetrap.
Old December 5th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Running On Empty

James - I think those are cool. Be careful regarding the shoes you have on when navigating those steps though. Slippers and any soft sole shoes like moccasins will kill you digging into the soles of your feet on those skinny rungs. Wear some hard sole shoes.
Old December 5th, 2021, 06:17 PM

Also watch out for slickness in damp conditions.
Old December 5th, 2021, 06:22 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Also watch out for slickness in damp conditions.
Good point. They sell black abrasive tape at leading hardware stores in various widths. It has excellent adhesive properties and would work well to apply to the rungs.
Old December 5th, 2021, 06:23 PM

I posted this in the Electrical forum but thought I'd cross post here as well.

I drove the Cutlass to work on Friday and stopped at Costco for gas on the way home. After filling up, it cranked slow, slower, then nothing at all. Dead battery. The fuel center attendant had one of those jump boxes and that made it fire right up (I am now convinced those are fantastic devices).

So anyway, I got home, charged the battery overnight, then brought it to O’Reilly’s Auto for a load test. As expected, it failed with a 220 cranking amps measurement vs. its 700 CCA rating. So a new Interstate battery from Costco was procured and the Cutlass is back in action.

A picture of the old battery - note the date tag. I wonder if the new battery will last as long?

Old December 5th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I just finished reading your post in electrical. I've noticed my battery slowly getting a little weaker when the car sits for extended periods, 5-7 days. I need to check the date on the battery - I suspect it's approaching its longevity end-of-life cycle.
Old December 5th, 2021, 06:48 PM

Kenneth, I have gotten 15 years avg apiece out of three batteries on "old car duty". My daily driver tends to take them out in 7 or so. I leave them disconnected, and will charge on a charger prior to use if they have sat for a month or so or more.
Old December 5th, 2021, 06:57 PM

Wow, 15 years on multiple batteries is awesome.
My Optima Red Top was on a tender for most of its life, which I suspect helped tremendously. Also, it was from the "good" years of Optima construction. It will now be relegated to use as a portable 12 Volt power supply for various projects. I suspect 220 amp capacity will be way more than needed for anything I can think of using it for. Other than starting the Cutlass, that is.

Last edited by Fun71; December 5th, 2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old December 5th, 2021, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
A picture of the old battery - note the date tag. I wonder if the new battery will last as long?
Kenneth - You sure got your money out of that one didn't you!
Old December 5th, 2021, 10:53 PM

Well I thought it might be safer than standing on a class 3 hitch or a 5 gallon bucket

Next time I regrip by clubs, I glue the old split grips over the rungs
Old December 6th, 2021, 03:21 AM

Looks like we got about 6 inches of snow yesterday/ last night. I know what I'll be doing this morning! Yesterday I scuffed up and primed sheet metal that was just sandblasted. for old truck. What a PIA. Now that I have actually tried it some I realize how bad it must be to work on the body side of auto repair. I know that the mechanical side is bad enough! But the end result is so gratifying with body work -OH SO pretty!! I have had excellent luck with Optima batteries, I have had good ones and the newer "bad" ones and they both have performed great. I have never had to replace them yet... knock on wood. I'm sure your hot climate is harder on them than our climate here Ken, I also put the old car batteries in the heated basement during winter months. Yeah those small boosters are amazing!
Old December 6th, 2021, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Looks like we got about 6 inches of snow yesterday/ last night. I know what I'll be doing this morning!
Greg - It was 72° last Thursday and 76° F last Friday, and now it's 34°F this morning, with a forecasted low of 23° F tonight with flurries. Absolutely insane fluctuation.

After you get done clearing snow, I hope you'll be able to get out on your snowmobile and have some fun! Be safe out there on the slick roads if you have to be out!
Old December 6th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got back around midnight last night. Had a nice time this weekend. Got a lot done and it was nice to be around like minded friends and just hang out and talk. Without Tiger here I wanted to sleep in a little, Got up at 9. So much for my big start.

Cloudy here and it must be warm out, because it's over 70 in the house. Perfect day for manual labor. I'll pick Tiger up this afternoon, so I'll have all day to move stuff and leave doors open and not have to worry about him. Too quiet in the house without him.

Okay off I go. Hope everyone had a good weekend and a good start to the week.

Old December 6th, 2021, 09:37 AM

Norm, You were right, My avocado ripened in the fridge. Over night almost go too ripe soooooooooooooooom I had to fix it for lunch
Old December 6th, 2021, 09:45 AM

Good morning guys,

It's still only 39° at 1130 with a windchill of 32°, just plain cold.

Just got back from Maggie's vet re-check appointment. The vet said she has made tremendous progress, and to finish out with her anti-inflammatory meds, and she should be fine. Monty's fecal sample came back negative for any parasites or other abnormality, other than the blood. Last night he had a large bowel movement that looked much more formed and normal color, with no evidence of blood. While we were at the vet he had another large bowel movement that was even more formed and normal color. The vet said he could have just had a really bad stomach bug that caused active bleeding for a couple of days, and just to watch him and make sure the active bleeding does not start back up. If it does, we'll have to take him in for an x-ray to see if there is any evidence of an object in his stomach or bowel that he can't pass. He's acting normal, and eating and drinking fine. Just hoping we're past dog health issues for awhile.

No other big plans for today, hope everyone has a great one!
Old December 6th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Norm, You were right, My avocado ripened in the fridge. Over night almost go too ripe soooooooooooooooom I had to fix it for lunch
Looks really tasty James!
Old December 6th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Chris Great news on the pups. The real problem is always. Dogs can't tell you what is wrong
Old December 6th, 2021, 10:40 AM

Chris Great news on the pups. The real problem is always. Dogs can't tell you what is wrong
Thanks James, did you hear our collective sigh of relief all the way over there! You're spot on about Dogs not being able to tell you what's wrong, and that's scary by itself. Add to that the known fact that Bulldogs have extremely tough dispositions and high tolerances for pain, probably from their breeding as pit dogs and the sport of bull baiting, resulting in the possibility that any given injury or ailment could potentially be much more serious than they're letting on. We're 99.5% sure Maggie is going to be just fine. We are hopefully optimistic (I'd say 75%) at this point that Monty has turned the corner, but it's early, and hard to know for sure when we really don't even know what was causing the issue to begin with?
Old December 6th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Always room for one more

Rain. Got one load of stuff over to the house and unloaded. Hopefully the rain doesn't last too long and I can get another load over before I go pick up Tiger.

I bought an Optima battery for my Corvette right after I got it. I thought, the battery is inside the car with me, it would be nice to not breathe what it vents out. After I wrecked it I put the battery in the High Saturn. I know a lot of people put $250 batteries in their economy cars. Eh, it needed one so in it went. It lasted years and years. It would go dead and I'd charge it back up and go for more years. No telling how long I could have milked it along. Finally I cooked the engine and the car has sat several years, I'm sure I couldn't bring it back now. I wouldn't buy another one but I'd say I got my moneys worth out of it.

Chris. I'm thrilled that Monty and Maggie are getting better and doing well. Please do not describe their natural bodily processes ever again. Thank you.

Break is over. Back to work.

Old December 6th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Running On Empty

I shot a miserable round of golf - 45/47 - and, it was gorgeous outdoors. No two stroke penalty (Speith/Stenson) - I teed off on the correct tee box all day. My wonderful round was entirely my own accomplishment. Everyone was pleased w/ the Bourbon *****. Unlike many other states, our course does not close in the winter; and, for good reason. I love playing in this weather...one of the several reasons I moved to the coast of NC.

Old December 6th, 2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,

It's still only 39° at 1130 with a windchill of 32°, just plain cold.

Just got back from Maggie's vet re-check appointment. The vet said she has made tremendous progress, and to finish out with her anti-inflammatory meds, and she should be fine. Monty's fecal sample came back negative for any parasites or other abnormality, other than the blood. Last night he had a large bowel movement that looked much more formed and normal color, with no evidence of blood. While we were at the vet he had another large bowel movement that was even more formed and normal color. The vet said he could have just had a really bad stomach bug that caused active bleeding for a couple of days, and just to watch him and make sure the active bleeding does not start back up. If it does, we'll have to take him in for an x-ray to see if there is any evidence of an object in his stomach or bowel that he can't pass. He's acting normal, and eating and drinking fine. Just hoping we're past dog health issues for awhile.

No other big plans for today, hope everyone has a great one!
Big dumps are a sign of things being ok. I remember I had my appendix yanked due to appendicitis. I was on morphine, then Percocet. Plugged up tighter than a heroin addict. While the big hole in my side was granulating shut, the doc put me on advil and stool softeners. I spent that whole day on the can once things got moving again.
Old December 6th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

I had to fix it for lunch.
James - Looks delicious. I ate @ Pantera Bread late this afternoon. That place has gotten crazy with their pricing. It will be some time before I venture back.
Old December 7th, 2021, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Looks delicious. I ate @ Pantera Bread late this afternoon. That place has gotten crazy with their pricing. It will be some time before I venture back.

Norm, I get it. Atlanta is loaded with mediocre expensive eateries
Old December 7th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Chris, glad to hear pooches are doing better. It's funny how much we watch our dogs and their practices. A friend came over and spent the night, he commented that it was so strange that 3 humans were catering to the new puppy. And he was right! Watching to see when he goes, and if it was #1 or 2, how much he has ate or drunk, etc. I'm sure it will get better. It is a PIA to let him out now with the snow, I have my slippers and coat ready to slip on to get him out. Right now one of us has to go out with him as he seems terrified if he is alone outside, whines and yelps at door and all he worries about is getting back to us and doesn't go do business. Someone said to hang a bell on door at get puppy used to knocking it when he is let out, idea being he will ring bell when he wants out. We got some little Christmas bells and are trying that. Yesterday, shoveling/blowing and plowing went good except ground at barn wasn't frozen and plow on truck dug in making a big mess and moving soil, causing divots etc, I think today I will get my gear together and try out snowmobiles a little. It really isn't good yet as ground, mud, water under snow is soft. Have a good one guys....
Old December 7th, 2021, 05:27 AM

Kinda like Pearl Harbor day. There's a little nip in the air
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Running On Empty

My CCW permit expires in 60 days. I received a renewal notice from my Sheriff's office, downloaded the forms, filled them out & heading to their office. Massage therapy @ 12:00 noon today. F250 tractor windshield arrived yesterday. Waiting on the separate new retaining clips to arrive today sometime via USPS.

James - "a little nip in the air"
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, glad to hear pooches are doing better. It's funny how much we watch our dogs and their practices.
Thanks Greg! You're spot on about watching the pups, I liken it to watching a child who is too young to care for themself. Normally, we wouldn't be paying soooooo much attention to ours, but when they're sick or injured, all you can think about is getting them well or easing their pain, the same things you would do for a child you love.

I hear you about taking Buddy out to go in the snow being a PIA. That was one of the big reasons we ended up fencing our backyard. I think the fencing not only gives the dog owner the security of the dog not running away, but also gives the dog a sense of security (after he gets used to it) that something can't get to him/her. Maggie will go to the back door and whine if she has to go out. Monty's another story, he will just go sit by the back door and not make a peep, so you need to check on him every once in awhile if you haven't seen him. Good luck with Buddy!
Old December 7th, 2021, 03:32 PM

Good evening guys

Just plain cold here at 31°, and there were light flurries when I went out to get food around 1600.

We got Chinese for dinner. Any of you guys fans of St. Paul sandwiches? Man I love those things and this place we get our Chinese takeout from has the best ones I've ever had. I usually get the ham St. Pauls.

I always listen to music when I'm doing my cardio workout. Today I was listening to a CD from the Time Life 60's and 70's Singer/Songwriter collection. Jeannie C. Reilly came on singing "Help Me Make It Thru the Night". In the 1st sentence when she sings "Take the ribbon from my hair, shake it loose, and let it fall", I immediately thought, man, that's the sexiest female singing voice I've ever heard. She was a real looker too!

Here's a poll for you. You guys have any votes for sexiest sounding female singing voice?

Hope everyone had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 7th, 2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old December 7th, 2021, 09:29 PM

Claudine Longet gets my vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wWNEabF78
Old December 8th, 2021, 04:45 AM

Yep, good choice James! Better keep your guns locked up around that one though!
Old December 8th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Chris, You said "Sing" not hang with

We already know Mike's

Old December 8th, 2021, 05:11 AM

Really a nice bouncy beat to that song!
Old December 8th, 2021, 05:57 AM
Jeff

Top pick used to be Stevie Nicks, until I heard Sarah McLachlan.
Old December 8th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Top pick used to be Stevie Nicks, until I heard Sarah McLachlan.
Jeff - Both great picks! Love both of them. Sarah has what I'd describe as a haunting voice!
Old December 8th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Sooooooooooo, the other day, My truck was loaded up with tin at the lake and a friend called an axed me if my step son wanted any bunk beds I said yes and drove over in the Vista cruiser to load them up

This morning step son calls and says, he's at the Lake to pick up the bunk beds. Have you ever tried to explain to a millennium how a Vitas Cruiser tail gate can open out or down? Talk about deer in the headlights looks [even over the phone]