The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Who in the hell is on first?
Exactomundo!
Old November 17th, 2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Who in the hell is on first?

Old November 17th, 2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Yep, an all time classic, never get tired of seeing that one!
Old November 17th, 2021, 10:26 PM

Grand parents are VERY special people. I've always believed it because they share a common enemy with one another [ grandparents child are grand kids parents]

When I was still a rug rat, My mother had an emergency operation a I went to live with my grand parents in south Georgia for around a month. My very earliest memory is waking up in a cold bedroom and grand dad lightning the gas furnace, Then my grand mother would go across the cold center hall way, pull the cord on the single light hanging from the ceiling, and light the gas furnace in the kitchen. Before light she would carry me out to the hen house and gather eggs, return to the kitchen where I would crawl around on the floor as she made breakfast. 3 squares a day she made home made biscuits and always took the the small piece of dough left over and made me a mini biscuit. When they were done, she'd poke a hole in my biscuit with her finger and fil it with cane syrup

It was a very small kitchen and the coffee was perking on top of the gas heater, while she made the biscuits at her country cupboard. I've always marveled at how she seemed to have an unseen umbilical cord attached to me as I crawled around on a kitchen floor inches away from a gas heater with hot coffee with in reach. I'm guessing rearing 5 kids gave her some confidence

I still use her dough bowl when I make biscuits

Way before Mickey D was ever heard of, She was having some new concrete steps poured off the back porch. At lunch time, her second cousin [the workman]came in sat at the small kitchen table and ate fresh fried fish, coleslaw and hush puppies for his mid day repast

It's amazing where we've come to on this orb, Every 20 yards is a fast food Joint with crap for food and helicopter mothers pushing jogging stroller with rescued greyhounds, Yet none of them [ or very few] gather eggs, make biscuits or fry fish
Old November 18th, 2021, 04:34 AM

Yep you're certainly right about that, James. Dan- man what luck you.re having! After thinking about your furnace what you described, I think I remember that type, anyway if the ignitor glows then it is going past the pressure switch, at least that time. OH I am sooo rusty, I can remember furnaces ignitors coming on but never lighting gas for a few cycles, Next thing should be a click, which is the gas valve opening, which you are prolly not getting... Just like Norm's dryer problem, I can remember the problem, but not the fix... Well good thing it has warmed back up some, I hope repairman shows up today. The reason I repaired (tried) furnaces and other appliances at Consumers was the "Appliance Service Plan" which a person can sign up for a certain amount of $ a month can be covered. They used to guarantee they would be there in 24 hours if you lost heat. I can see now how that would be great. Problem was the guys who came like me were not trained well enough for the highly specialized furnaces. It would be like taking your 2021 Toyota in to a local garage to get a computer drivability issue fixed... Now I heard they use mostly contract repairmen so you should get a Amana trained guy (with proper tools, equipment) to work on your Amana furnace, etc. Not pushing it, but maybe a good deal for you. I think DTE also has a plan like that... Chris, My F250 has a 36 gal tank, Put $100. worth in the other day!!
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Grand parents are VERY special people. I've always believed it because they share a common enemy with one another [ grandparents child are grand kids parents]
James - Loved your story, sure made me miss my Grandma!
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, My F250 has a 36 gal tank, Put $100. worth in the other day!!
Greg - Really sucks doesn't it! Your experience reminds me of something my Dad always reminded me of, "You only have to look past the end of your nose to find someone who has a tougher life than you have."
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:05 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
My F250 has a 36 gal tank, Put $100. worth in the other day!!
Greg - My F250 diesel has a 36 gal, also. Recall ~9 yrs ago when diesel and basically all gas reached ~$7.00/gal? It was costing me ~$200 - $225 for a fill-up.

James - Grandparents are cool. Hopefully many of us have similar stories, yours is a nice one.

Gorgeous weather outdoors ~68F, highs supposed to reach mid-70s currently no wind. Wind picking up later with a small front moving through sometime late this evening when temperatures will dip again as a high pressure system settles in along the coast.

I'd better head out to the man-cave & apply this 3M Fast Cure Auto Glass Urethane which will hopefully stop the leak. Baby steps. The next hurdle will be to address the buzzer going off and finding where that issue resides. Baby steps, baby steps.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:22 AM

Good morning guys,

Pretty out here this morning, but chilly at 39°. Nothing like it's going to be tomorrow morning though, weatherman is forecasting a low of 23° and 20° on Monday.

We are going to get our booster vaccines sometime today. Small local pharmacy just 3-miles up the street from us has the Moderna boosters and anyone can just walk in. The neighbors that my wife cleans house for once a week, found out yesterday the husband has Covid. Luckily my wife has not been around them in over a week. Needless to say she is not going down there to clean this week.

Other than the vaccines, no other big plans or chores planned for today.
Hope everyone has a great day!
Old November 18th, 2021, 12:09 PM

Who could use a smile today? My wife sent this to me last night reminding me it had been exactly 5-years since Monty came home with us. He was 8-weeks old in the picture. Who could not fall in love with a face like that, certainly not me!

Old November 18th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a beautiful day out. A little cold with the windows down on the expressway but that's okay. Windows down, heat on, what's not to love. Lots of times up home when I had a convertible I'd have the top down and the heat on.

Work was good. Finished up before 2 and headed out. Almost there. I expect tomorrow to be a fairly late day as far as Fridays go. Gonna be lots of big wheels tomorrow. They take a long time to fill.

My Silverado has a 34 gallon tank. It routinely costs over 100 to fill. Back when the pumps would shut off at 100, it wouldn't be anywhere close to full. Talk about painful. When I got the High Saturn all those years ago, it cost me 10 bucks to fill. The last time I drove it it cost 30.

I don't have grandparent stories like those. We were all urban dwellers. My one Grandma, born in 1904, would tell us stories about when she was a little girl on the plains in Nebraska, living in a house made of dirt and sod, one room in the house where everyone lived and slept, going to the outhouse(that she called a privvy), and we wouldn't believe her. We thought she was making it all up. Nope, it was all real. Her father mined for gold in Cripple Creek, Colorado when he was a young man. I wish I could here those stories all over again.

Okay here's a question for the turf experts. Is there a grass that will grow with no sunlight? I'm thinking of an outdoor room, with a proper roof on it, and sides with half walls and screen. The grass will be able to be watered and any sunlight would be incidental.

Gonna go get my ears lowered. I tried yesterday, but the place closed at noon. We'll see how I do today. Like Puddy says, feels like an Arby's night.

Okay off we go. Have a good afternoon everyone.

PS Monty is all wrinkley!
Old November 18th, 2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

PS Monty is all wrinkley!
Yep! It didn't take long though for him to grow into those wrinkles, except for those on his face.
Old November 18th, 2021, 12:39 PM

Mike,

The retractable roof baseball stadium here in Phoenix used a proprietary grass called BOB Sod that would grow well in low sunlight. It didn't grow in a complete lack of sunlight, though - the roof was regularly opened for several hours a week to allow some in. The grass was named BOB Sod because the stadium was originally named Bank One Ballpark.
Old November 18th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Chris cute pup

Mike, I am not trying to tell ya what to do BUT, Don't cha wanta get moved in 1st
Old November 18th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, along with no heat, my fridge crapped out, so went and bought a new one, can't deliver until Tuesday. I wanted to get a Whirlpool, but the one that I wanted, and most others are a year out, and they would not sell me the floor model. So, I bought an LG stainless side by side, I was looking at the french door models, but I wasn't that impressed with the bottom freezer.
Noooooooooooo... don't Google LG fridge reviews, you'll be kicking yourself. There's a reason why LG now offers 10 year compressor warranties, because their supplier is awful. I was going to buy a knock-knock LG fridge until I spent a couple hours reading reviews.
Old November 18th, 2021, 02:43 PM

Just MHO but I would stay away for LG
Old November 18th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I'm just thinking ahead. If I had the covered grass room here at my house I could go to Florida next week for a couple days and leave Tiger home.

Hair cut was successful, but my friend Leo called when I was coming home so no Arby's tonight. That's okay. Maybe we'll do it this weekend.

Kenneth that's sort of like Astro Turf. Astro Turf doesn't grow but it was invented for the Astro Dome. These clever people.

Well one more to go. Early again, hopefully we'll get done early and I can go see my friends at the Awful house. Should be nice this weekend.

Okay bed time. Have a good evening everyone.

Old November 18th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Running On Empty

I wasn't sure if Mike was busting ***** on his question or what the deal was when he asked...

Is there a grass that will grow with no sunlight?
Say what?

There is absolutely NO grass that will grow with no sunlight. And, if you happen to find on the Internet some whacked out crazed human being stating certain plants which grow without sunlight, then quickly state these plants grow in indirect sunlight, you have to stop and question if they live here on planet Earth; and, then ask yourself just WTF indirect sunlight is. These people are complete unadulterated idiots. All green plants require sunlight to synthesize foods (carbohydrates) from carbon dioxide and water in the process known as photosynthesis. As a byproduct photosynthesis produces oxygen.

AstroTurf is completely synthetic. It is made of a polyethylene thermoplastic polymer. There is absolutely not one single living molecule contained in AstroTurf.

Old November 18th, 2021, 05:09 PM

Indirect sunlight is the industry term for growing in the shade.
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:11 PM

New purchase of an amplifier arrived in the brown truck yesterday. It powers up well, controls are nice, pretty. Runs a little warm, small transformer hum, the VU meters aren't aligned with each other any more. May have it looked at but it sounds great.
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

LG refrigerators are total pieces of ****. A few years ago I bought a Kenmore refrigerator made by LG (didn't know that when I bought it). It lasted three years. It had what they called a linear compressor. After a class action lawsuit LG replaced the ones with their brand name on them. I was screwed because the damn thing was Sears. Then I researched refrigerators and wound up buying a GE which is assembled in Kentucky. The other brand I considered was Whirlpool because it is assembled in the USA. I even bought the extended warranty. At 75 I don't plan on buying another refrigerator in my lifetime. I have two LG TV's and they have been excellent.
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:21 PM

Mike - The BoBSod Kenneth was talking about is real grass. It is the most shade (indirect sunlight) tolerant Bermuda Grass in existence. It is able to grow because they open the roof of the stadium periodically to let the sunshine in. Astro Turf as Norm explained, is synthetic grass.
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Having grown up in the Midwest, I became familiar with some of the leading brands of refrigerators and more or less followed their development over the years. When I make purchase decisions I generally always look for company's who are building appliances from the original Amana plants in Amana, Iowa. I own Maytag & KitchenAid appliances primarily.

Small excerpt from Wikipedia regarding the history of the Amana Colonies.

Amana Refrigeration

The most widely known business enterprise that emerged from the Amana Society is Amana Refrigeration, Inc. George C. Foerstner worked in the woolen mill and became a traveling salesman for the mill after the Great Change. With the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, Foerstner recognized the need for beverage coolers. He started the Electric Equipment Company in 1934 using $3500 of his own savings. The company was sold to the Amana Society in 1936 and renamed the Electrical Department of the Amana Society, though Foerstner remained as manager. The company was twice awarded the Army-Navy "E" Award during World War II for filling military contracts. Goods were produced in the Middle Amana woolen mill.[54]

In 1947, the company produced the first commercial upright freezer. Two years later, the Amana Society sold off the Electrical Department to an investment group organized by Foerstner. Renamed Amana Refrigeration, Inc., the company grew to manufacture refrigerators and air conditioners. The Raytheon Corporation purchased Amana Refrigeration on January 1, 1965, although the Amana division was mostly autonomous.[54] Amana produced the first practical commercial microwave oven in 1967.[55] The division was sold to Goodman Global in 1997 and then sold to Maytag in 2001. It became part of the Whirlpool Corporation when it purchased Maytag in 2006.[54] Whirlpool sold the Amana, Iowa refrigerator plant property to Wramia001, a Chicago-based limited liability company, in October, 2020 for $92.6 million dollars. Amana will continue to manufacture Amana, JennAir, KitchenAid, Maytag and Whirlpool refrigerators at the plant, built in 1940, under a long-term lease agreement.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
LG refrigerators are total pieces of ****. A few years ago I bought a Kenmore refrigerator made by LG (didn't know that when I bought it). It lasted three years. It had what they called a linear compressor. After a class action lawsuit LG replaced the ones with their brand name on them. I was screwed because the damn thing was Sears. Then I researched refrigerators and wound up buying a GE which is assembled in Kentucky. The other brand I considered was Whirlpool because it is assembled in the USA. I even bought the extended warranty. At 75 I don't plan on buying another refrigerator in my lifetime. I have two LG TV's and they have been excellent.
Good call, Glenn. Whirlpool refrigerator is no longer assembled in USA. The plant in Evansville shut down, Toyota snapped up many of their engineers who are now my respected colleagues.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Good call, Glenn. Whirlpool refrigerator is no longer assembled in USA. The plant in Evansville shut down, Toyota snapped up many of their engineers who are now my respected colleagues.
Please site a source stating Whirlpool refrigerator is no longer assembled in the USA. I don't believe your statement is correct. Evansville, IN is not the entire USA.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:19 PM

Too late on the LG fridge, paid for already. I'll check on an extended warranty. I heard the same about Samsung, and negative online reviews of G.E. made me change my mind on purchasing that brand, I actually hadn't read up on LG because I wasn't considering it, and went to the appliance store to get a Whirlpool, but as I noted, they are one year out before they get any in, so I chose the LG while there. I have friends who replaced their Samsung within two years. Well, Chris about #3, my dishwasher has been dead for awhile, just haven't said anything as it's not a necessary appliance. It will be replaced next. Your boxer was a cute bugger, when a pup. The furnace was running when I got home, and when the repairman showed up 15 minutes later, it was still humming. he did more checking, sorta scratching his head, did some vaccuming of dust. Cycled it on several times, sometimes it would fire up, then it wouldn't. Finally did a vaccum pressure test on the gas valve, and it read zero. He figured that the gas valve was working intermittently and sent a pic/text of the furance model info to the local supply house at about 4:30pm, they did not respond even though they were open. He waited around until 5pm before leaving. I will call them on my first break at work tomorrow,and see if they can get to me in the afternoon. He thinks that they will. We'll see. If he gets done soon enough (he thinks an hour to replace the gas valve), then I plan on getting my Moderna booster at Walgreens, as they are offering walk in's. Speaking of covid, my niece called me last night to thank me for sending a card of condolences as her mother in law passed from it. neither she nor her kids (young adults), nor her in laws will get vaccinated cuz they don't know what's in it, and it hasn't been tested yet !?!?! Every single one of them now has covid, duh! She sounded like crap on the phone, and is off from work. My great nephew and his wife have it, and they have an infant less than a year old, my great, great nephew, (negative so far) I just don't get it. Sorry for the rant at the end.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:22 PM

https://www.michiganradio.org/busine...te-in-michigan

For the purposes of buying American, it is enough to know that a significant portion are made in Mexico. Perhaps not all, but, enough. It was a big deal when it went down here, Norm.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Well, when I bought my first house, it had a old Amana fridge in it from the 70's, that funky two tone paint job, when I replaced it about ten years ago, i thought as this one lasted so long, that I would buy another one. Bad choice, went to pot within 3 years. I have had a Maytag washer & dryer that I bought for my old house, got 25 years out of them. Replaced the washer with a Whirpool (lable says assembled in the U,S.), but left the dryer, as there was no gas hook up for it here. Odd that the place that I just bought the LG from, didn't carry the related products to Whirpool, Maytag, etc. At least I saw no refrigerators by the company siblings.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, Chris about #3, my dishwasher has been dead for awhile, just haven't said anything as it's not a necessary appliance. It will be replaced next. Your boxer was a cute bugger, when a pup.

Then If he gets done soon enough (he thinks an hour to replace the gas valve), then I plan on getting my Moderna booster at Walgreens, as they are offering walk in's.
Dan - Sorry about the dishwasher, and the craziness going on with the furnace repairs, I sure hope they get you fixed up tomorrow!

You probably know this and just had a momentary brain cramp with all you've got going on, but our dogs Monty and Maggie are both English Bulldogs.

Wife and I got our Moderna boosters today at 1100, no side effects to speak of yet except for minor soreness at the injection site for both of us. Don't apologize for the rant, there are some topics where more ranting is warranted.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
https://www.michiganradio.org/busine...te-in-michigan

For the purposes of buying American, it is enough to know that a significant portion are made in Mexico. Perhaps not all, but, enough. It was a big deal when it went down here, Norm.
I can understand it was a big deal in Evansville, Indiana; yet,

Whirlpool refrigerator is no longer assembled in USA
is not correct. Whirlpool refrigerators are still both manufactured and assembled in the U.S.A in Amana, IA and several other cities in the U.S.A.

Here is one such recent article demonstrating Whirlpool's refrigerator operations facility in Ottawa. Ohio.

Whirlpool Corporation announces over $65M of investments in Ottawa, Ohio plant operations, including the addition of 100+ more jobs.Nov 16, 2021

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 18th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old November 18th, 2021, 06:52 PM
Running On Empty

My KitchenAid dishwasher is now 18 years old and hasn't had a service call in 18 years. My KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer is running strong after 15 years of operation (not daily mind you). LOL
That mixer makes the finest Bourbon *****. It's about time to make more.

Old November 18th, 2021, 07:34 PM

Amazing that in a few hours this will disappear.

Old November 18th, 2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71

Kenneth - Absolutely beautiful picture!
Old November 18th, 2021, 07:44 PM
Running On Empty

I've been thinking about it all week. I think the event takes place between 2:15am - 4:30am here. That would significantly interfere with my beauty rest.

Great picture.
Old November 18th, 2021, 07:46 PM

Same here. I have the telescope set up to track the moon, and an alarm for 2 am so I can get up, look, and go back to sleep.
Old November 18th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, this just isn't going to work for me...
  • 2:18 a.m. – Partial eclipse begins
  • 4:03 a.m. – Maximum eclipse (technically still partial but very near total)
  • 5:47 a.m. – Partial eclipse ends
Old November 18th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Running On Empty

Same here. I have the telescope set up to track the moon, and an alarm for 2 am so I can get up, look, and go back to sleep.
Awesome.
Old November 18th, 2021, 07:56 PM

I've seen them before and will not get up for it.

Solar eclipses, I'll make time for.
Old November 18th, 2021, 08:02 PM

Solar eclipse humor.

If you’ve seen one, you might never see another.
Old November 19th, 2021, 01:15 AM
Always room for one more

Happy 4am everyone.

Saw the eclipse when I walked out of the house this morning. Just looked like a crescent moon to me. The rest of it wasn't red like I thought it would be. Still cool to see.

I was not saying that Astro Turf was the same kind of grass as BOB sod. I was saying that the turf, whatever it's made of, was similarly named after the stadium it was put in. I know Astro Turf is synthetic.

Also, that was a totally serious question about the grass growing without sunlight. Since that is unlikely, what about those orange heat lights. The neighbors might think I'm growing a yard full of pot.

So three mechanics and one wall guy showed up this morning. I don't see a lot getting done. That's okay, it's Friday what are they going to do to me.

Have a good morning everyone.