The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
the RoHS lead free solder (SAC305) they use for fabricating/building these circuit boards - all tin, no lead - makes for a terrible solder, IMO.
Not just your opinion, it is a fact, and is why we still use lead/tin solder in life sustaining implantable medical electronics - even the gub'mint realizes using RoHS solder in those applications would be a very, very bad idea.
Old November 14th, 2021, 12:56 PM
Running On Empty

I removed what I suspected was the alarm & it appears the alarm is contained w/in this device. It's the Ignition Transponder Connector. There are about 12 wires which are attached to a wiring harness plug. The wiring harness plug attaches to this Ignition Transponder Connector. The Ignition Transponder Connector is attached to the underside of the steering column. There is a center "pole" emanating from the middle of the Ignition Transponder Connector. When the Ignition Transponder Connector is removed from the steering column, you cannot start the vehicle, you have neither instrument lamps to the dashboard or any other form of illumination. This is not a NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) although it's easy to suspect is is a NSS; but, the NSS on the truck is actually attached to the left-hand side of the transmission. Anyway, that center "pole" in the Ignition Transponder Connector inserts into a moveable metal sleeve contained w/in the steering column. That "pole" functions as a contact point for the position of the moveable metal sleeve w/in the steering column which is attached to the Key (Start) Switch. The Ignition Transponder Connector determines the position of the Key (Start) Switch. Based upon location of the Key (Start) Switch, the signal is transmitted into the Ignition Transponder Connector which then determines which devices function on the 12 wire harness plug attached to the Ignition Transponder Connector. It's going to take some time to address this issue. I have found wiring diagrams which are going to help immensely.

BONUS: I found the circuit source of the alarm itself. The issue resides in the instrument cluster based solely upon the name of the fuse contained w/in the Owner's Manual. I began removing fuses in hopes of finding a fuse contained w/in a circuit which energizes that alarm. I have two fuses (both 10A) which are in the instrument cluster circuit (at least labeled as Instrument Cluster w/in the Owner's Manual for the fuse box) - #41 & #45. Removing fuse #45 does not stop the alarm; removing fuse #41 stops the alarm. Until I review wiring diagrams I can only assume at this point the instrument cluster is comprised of two independent circuits since fuse #41 & fuse #45 are both labeled as Instrument Cluster. So, this is a good thing thus far in narrowing down the circuit producing the annoying alarm. Removing fuse #41 eliminates some instrument cluster back lighting (e.g. odometer, etc.) - I didn't deep dive into which lamps are not illuminated, yet.

If my logic is correct, w/ fuse #41 inserted into the fuse panel the alarm is ON and I have instrument cluster lighting. With fuse #41 removed from the fuse panel the alarm is OFF but I have no instrument panel back lighting. Logic would dictate with fuse #41 plugged into the fuse panel, this would complete a circuit and provide back lighting. Whey does it produce an alarm, however? Considering just the alarm itself (supposed on the same circuit as the instrument cluster back lighting), when fuse #41 is plugged into the fuse panel, the annoying alarm is produced. So, the alarm is being triggered by a "closed" circuit correct? Since the #41 fuse has to be in the fuse panel to produce this alarm what does it say as far as further troubleshooting? I'm confused and not thinking clearly at this point because I've had enough of this for today.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 14th, 2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old November 14th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Not just your opinion, it is a fact, and is why we still use lead/tin solder in life sustaining implantable medical electronics - even the gub'mint realizes using RoHS solder in those applications would be a very, very bad idea.
Some agency must have suggested to some other agency we could hit (nick) the automotive industry with RoHS compliance and restrict the amount of Pb contained and produced within the environment and they (that agency) could put a chalk mark on their RoHS compliant chalk board demonstrating a reduction in overall Pb contamination.

Now, why does my Alarm sound when fuse #41 is plugged in? I'm wondering at this point if it's perhaps the Key (Start) Switch sending a signal? Done with it for today though, I'll be able to hobble to golf tomorrow without the alarm sounding and won't need any instrument panel back lighting in the middle of the day. Fuse #41 is for a circuit in the instrument panel though which is confusing.
Old November 14th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Running On Empty

Ooops. My bad, I read the picture legend incorrectly. It's not an Ignition Transponder Connector, it's call the Ignition Connector, which more sense since I don't have a remote anything on this truck except for door locks & emergency alarm.
Old November 14th, 2021, 06:09 PM
Running On Empty

The story line continues to thicken. The "device" is the Ignition Switch - who'd have thought except a good automotive parts person. The "Ignition Switch" itself is what performs the function of deciding to send a signal to one or more of the several wires located/contained w/in the Ignition Connector (wiring harness) end terminal (starter solenoid, accessory, radio, headlamps, instrument lamps, dome lamp, blah, blah, blah) - which plugs into the "Ignition Switch". I have a picture, I'll show you later. The proper nomenclature for what I generally call the Ignition Switch is the Start Switch Key Tumbler. My GAWD nomenclature nightmare here! Argh.
Old November 14th, 2021, 07:36 PM

Oh, ***** so that thing makes all the decisions? It's like it's the switch and the dashboard fusebox all in one!
Old November 15th, 2021, 05:04 AM

Keep at it Norm, I am sure you will get it. You are like me, I both like and hate the challenge! Is this truck your daily driver? I can see you need it fixed if so. Your weather is still good enough for the Olds? Or do you even have to store it in Winter? Well last night I took Buddy and we went for a back roads ride in the F250. I realized that the blinker was operating funny and then noticed I had no tail lights... Yeah its always something... But that's what happens w/ old stuff. I'll bet it is bad ground, seems most the problems I have are due to the extreme rust cuz this truck was a salt spreader. Buddy and I will check it out later today.
Old November 15th, 2021, 05:30 AM

Good morning guys,

Chilly this morning here at 36° F, but will be warming nicely to 60° and sunshine. We're looking at a high of 72° tomorrow, which I'd bet will be our last day over 70° until Spring.

Pretty slow day for me yesterday. Following Norm's sleuthing regarding the cause and culprit of the buzzing under his dash, and his water intrusion in his truck, was very interesting. The KC Chiefs finally looked like the team they should be last night on Sunday Night Football. However, the real highlight of my day was the NCAA Div III Football Playoff Selections.

Home Sweet Home! Albion College Football to host first round of NCAA Div III Playoffs next weekend against Univ. of Wisconsin - La Crosse.

Albion is 9-1, and Wisc. La Crosse is 8-2. Wisc. La Crosse plays in what is arguably the toughest NCAA Div III conference in the nation and this will be a very, very tough game for Albion. If Albion does happen to win this game, they most likely will have to face the #1 rated team in the nation, North Central College (Naperville, IL), on the northwest side of Chicago. I sure wish these early Div III games got TV coverage. They actually do get covered by ESPN when they get to the semi-final games.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 15th, 2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old November 15th, 2021, 10:51 AM

Siding going up on tractor shed expansion

Old November 15th, 2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Siding going up on tractor shed expansion

James - Looking good! I'm sure you're gonna love the extra covered storage, I know I would!
Old November 15th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day here. A little chilly and breezy. But the sun is out. Supposed to be a little warmer tomorrow.

Work was good. We finished up early and sat around. The lead high tailed it out of there so we left earlier than we would have. Overtime tomorrow morning, I'm going to make it a point to go in. The pressure is off, Monday is over.

Jamesbo that looks like it's going to be a big tractor shed extension.

Chris you beat me to it. I saw earlier you had Napierville, and I was going to tell you Napier was Batman's butler. Naperville is the high rent district.

Couple errands to run today, then go over and get the trash out. Then relax.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old November 15th, 2021, 12:09 PM

Tomorrow plan is to hang siding on the gable ends. Got to do a little cutting

I've got some left over green roofing, so it's going to be 2 tone
Old November 15th, 2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Chilly this morning here at 36° F, but will be warming nicely to 60°
It's still summer here.

Old November 15th, 2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris you beat me to it. I saw earlier you had Napierville, and I was going to tell you Napier was Batman's butler. Naperville is the high rent district.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Mike - Can't get anything past you! However, I thought "Alfred" was Batman's butler???
Old November 15th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Norm, Greg may confirm this, but I believe that the gas valve will not open until the ignitor kicks in. At least that was the way that it worked on a oven that I once repaired. So, I am getting by, by flipping the switch off and on, it dosesn't work every time, and when it doesn't, I wait about 30 minutes and try again. The heating and cooling place can't get to me until Thursday. Jamesbo, i need to wrap half a ribeye in bacon again soon, been awhile since I did that...now ya got me planning, sautee'd mushrooms to boot!
Old November 15th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Always room for one more

Alfred was butler for Bruce Wayne and Aunt Harriet, and also for Batman. He was really more of an assistant to Batman than a butler. Played by Alan Napier.

Went to pay the taxes on the shop. The place is a madhouse. I'll try again tomorrow. If it's a madhouse again, I'll try again the next day. I don't do any waiting for the county, they have notoriously bad customer service and they can wait on me for a change. I'm not worried about the taxes being late. One year I completely forgot to pay them for about three months, then went in to pay them and no one said anything. No late fee, no stern lecture, nothing.

I've been feeling a little irritated this afternoon. A few things adding up. I've been playing Christmas music in the car and that helps keep me centered.

Old November 15th, 2021, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
. Jamesbo, i need to wrap half a ribeye in bacon again soon, been awhile since I did that...now ya got me planning, sautee'd mushrooms to boot!
I like to soak the toothpick in water before I wrap them up
Old November 15th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - Yes, the F250 is my daily driver; although, many days the 71 CS is the daily driver - just depends on weather really. I'm gradually getting closer to figuring some things out - baby steps. The actual buzzer microphone is enclosed inside the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). Well, that's a baby step in the right direction. At least I'm gaining a foothold on what is located where & the function of each item/device. Electrical issues are full of gremlins aren't they. Baby steps. So, they changed the location of the GEM during the 2003 model year I believe, or within a couple years of 2003 (which is my year of production). The reason they changed the GEM location was because of a water issue (go figure!) - it was previously located behind the fuse box which is located quite close to the left-had side of the dashboard - I think it may have been fastened to the back of the fuse box - which is just underneath the left-hand side of the windshield. I haven't validated this yet, but I believe mine is located "on" the interior side of the firewall. Isn't that just groovy & neat? That's where believe the water is running in from the windshield. Argh. And, I watched a video of a guy performing an R&R on the GEM for my 2003 model year - it didn't look pretty; nearly, a blind-side far up under the dash against the firewall. I'll validate later on.

So, this morning I was running a little late, but not by much and was preparing the truck to drive to golf - the driver side kick panels are off, the left-hand side of the dash is disassembled, as well as the driver door seal if off which is not big dead. When I went to start the truck the battery was dead. Lovely, just lovely - since it was ~45°F outdoors. Put the 6V/12V charger on for ~15' and it didn't get charged enough to turn over the engine. Now I'm moving push-cart & golf clubs over to the 71 CS with the top down. So, I put on another layer and drove the CS to the club. Nice brisk ride, no biggie.

Shot a 46/39 temperature was ~55°F during play with a 13mph wind - not so bad, I generally finish better on the front than the back nine; but, I was spanking it quite well after about the 7th or 8th hole (I believe my brain was finally alive).

Tomorrow is supposed to be pleasant not as pleasant as Arizona, but pleasant enough @ 60°F, sunny w/ almost no wind (3mph). I need to at least get some silicone onto the windshield area where I've found the modest gap - that will be tomorrow. I'll have more time for troubleshooting this electrical gremlin further. Wednesday looks even better with limited wind (6mph) and a high of 70°F. I'll probably have more time to continue troubleshooting after golf morning on Wednesday.

Dan - I believe you're correct regarding the furnace as Gregg suggested the gas won't flow unless the HSI (Hot Surface Igniter) is on. Hope it isn't too cold in your neck of the woods. I recall one year in the winter I had to turn on the electric stove for heat in the house when my old propane gas furnace went South on me.

James - The shed is coming along nicely.

Mike - As an undergrad I went out with a redhead gal from Naperville for some time - I referred to her as the burning bush.
Old November 15th, 2021, 02:27 PM

Went over to barn today with Buddy. He Hates it- too much noise. I hope he gets used to it and will like to keep me company. My tail light problem was a bad ground connection to the frame. Of course when I took truck over and checked lights all worked as they should! So I went under and started looking for ground connections. I touched one and it fell off! Another ground that I think went to fuel tank also fell off when I touched it. So removed the bolt that was threaded into frame rail, ground down to bare shiney metal (that part Buddy really hated- noisy air grinder), cut off old connector, replaced and attached to frame. All works fine now. Any luck Norm?
Old November 15th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I've often found a picture of a pleasant looking woman relieves my irritability. Do you know the name of this young woman, Mike? You should know her grandfather quite well.

Old November 15th, 2021, 02:55 PM

Mike - I've often found a picture of a pleasant looking woman relieves my irritability. Do you know the name of this young woman, Mike? You should know her grandfather quite well.

Looks like Presley genes to me, is it Elvis' grandaughter?
Old November 15th, 2021, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

Looks like Presley genes to me, is it Elvis' grandaughter?

Old November 15th, 2021, 07:05 PM

Wow, where did everybody go! No other guesses???
Old November 15th, 2021, 07:57 PM

How about Maeve Shaw in Kilkenny, Ireland?
Old November 16th, 2021, 01:30 AM
Always room for one more

Wow, where did everybody go! No other guesses???
Chris at 10:05 I was long in bed. But hey, it's 0430 now and I'm up and at 'em!

Don't know who this girl is. She's very pretty. Don't know who her grandfather is, either. Hm. Her grandfather is Joe Rogers, Sr.

I don't usually have pictures of lovely ladies available to me when I'm driving in the car.

Jamesbo what does the soaked toothpick do?

One wall guy showed up for overtime this morning, and he's giving all his wheels to another mechanic. So I'm sitting here with nothing to do. There's 4 robot guys, so the wheels are stacking up. We'll at least get a good start at 6 when everyone else gets here.

Okay have a good morning everyone. I think I'll walk into the hangar and get me something to drink.

Old November 16th, 2021, 01:37 AM

She's my niece

Mike, it keeps it from burning
Old November 16th, 2021, 02:01 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
How about Maeve Shaw in Kilkenny, Ireland?
Indeed. Her grandfather is Robert Shaw, the actor i.e. A Man for All Seasons, The Sting, Jaws, etc.
Old November 16th, 2021, 02:27 AM

So, couldn't get the furnace to kick on last night, and turned on a portable electric heater. 4:30 am, I'm sorta sleeping, when I hear "click" whoosh?!?! The furnace kicked on, go figure. It has come on two times since, and is running at the moment.
Old November 16th, 2021, 02:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
So, couldn't get the furnace to kick on last night, and turned on a portable electric heater. 4:30 am, I'm sorta sleeping, when I hear "click" whoosh?!?! The furnace kicked on, go figure. It has come on two times since, and is running at the moment.
Gremlins, Dan.
Old November 16th, 2021, 02:42 AM

" Black Irish " like my bride. Anyone know the myth about black Irish?

Rats, Now I gotta hunt up some green roofing screws, I know I have some at the lake and I'm pretty sure there are some around here left over from when I but the new roof on the farm house. [ both houses have green metal roofs] at 1st light I'll start the hunt

True confession time

I go thru phases, that I go completely mad dog crazy over somethings, [Like 6 69 442's at one time] then get bored , sell and go mad dog crazy over something else

Occasionally [all to often since it's confession time] I'll buy something that I want and really don't need [ like a pile of jerry cans]. It's gotta stop. I bought something on line the other day, that's cool but I have now real use for. This morning I made a pack with myself. Starting today, every time I do it, I'm gonna donate an equal amount of money to St Jude's children's hospital [my favorite cause] If I'm going to waste money, It's going to double the amount but go for something worth while. That should slow my impulse buying down
Old November 16th, 2021, 04:05 AM
Running On Empty

Time to plug-in the battery charger. It's beginning to warm up outdoors. It was ~31°F earlier (2 hours ago) this morning. Big 40°F temperature swing today with an expected high of 70°F.
Old November 16th, 2021, 04:18 AM

--That's a great idea, James, I also think St Jude's is a great cause. I had a phase where I collected promo car models, and then Jim Beam car decanters, the old Consumers Power stuff (The company name of the utility I worked at before they changed it to Consumers Energy). So when we moved I put all the car collectible stuff on Ebay- ahh took a shellacking on most of it.
-- Dan, sorry you're having such a drawn out issue with the furnace, Yeah when it gets cold those guys get overloaded and can't keep up. Usually most newer furnaces will try 3 times to start. So when you have a intermittent problem it may fail the 1st time then go the 2nd or 3rd, you may not even hear it depending on your setup. But if it won't start on the 3rd time it will go into lock out and set a code ( flashing light). So if you reset it and it goes- great. You should be able to look thru a little plastic peep hole in the door to count the flashes. It will be long flashes followed by short flashes or vice versa. Only thing is, if you take off door and door switch is opened then no codes, it will reset. If you want to mess with it, try to count the flashes, then remove the door and look at the sticker inside it, or on inside wall of furn, It should tell you how to read codes and what they mean- if your guy said it's a pressure switch problem then that's prolly what you will find. Take a piece of tape and tape the door switch closed, then you can take the door off next time and keep the code. Good luck, also you may be able to tunk on the pressure switch with a screwdriver or something to get it to work again. Those guys have a magnahelic pressure gauge that measures the pressure/vacuum that goes to the switch. The switch should have regular small tubes going to it like vacuum lines on cars. Like I said I hated pressure problems, but maybe all you need is a pressure switch, or maybe the pressure switch is doing it's job and not allowing it to start cuz there actually a pressure problem... Can you hear inducer motor start?? If it doesn't start then goes no further and will set a pressure code cuz there is no pressure... I got some of them to work a while with WD40 for a while until I could come back with a new motor. Do you still have my phone #? You can call me if you have no heat, and I'll try to help. Sent you a PM.

Last edited by Greg Rogers; November 16th, 2021 at 04:24 AM. Reason: oops
Old November 16th, 2021, 04:55 AM

Indeed. Her grandfather is Robert Shaw, the actor i.e. A Man for All Seasons, The Sting, Jaws, etc.
Battle of the Bulge, and Robin and Marian, I always really enjoyed Robert Shaw as an actor!
Old November 16th, 2021, 05:07 AM

" Black Irish " like my bride. Anyone know the myth about black Irish?

Rats, Now I gotta hunt up some green roofing screws, I know I have some at the lake and I'm pretty sure there are some around here left over from when I but the new roof on the farm house. [ both houses have green metal roofs] at 1st light I'll start the hunt

True confession time

I go thru phases, that I go completely mad dog crazy over somethings, [Like 6 69 442's at one time] then get bored , sell and go mad dog crazy over something else

Occasionally [all to often since it's confession time] I'll buy something that I want and really don't need [ like a pile of jerry cans]. It's gotta stop. I bought something on line the other day, that's cool but I have now real use for. This morning I made a pack with myself. Starting today, every time I do it, I'm gonna donate an equal amount of money to St Jude's children's hospital [my favorite cause] If I'm going to waste money, It's going to double the amount but go for something worth while. That should slow my impulse buying down
James - Great strategy to try and curb the impulse buying, St. Judes is a great cause! Wow, six '69 4-4-2 's at one time, wish I'd been around when you decided to sell the extras off.
Old November 16th, 2021, 05:52 AM

Good morning guys,

Chilly at 34° right now, but it's supposed to get up to 71° with sunshine today. If I were betting, today will be our last really nice day this year.

Yesterday afternoon we had a furniture moving palooza around here. My SIL (my wife's brother's wife) brought 2 large pieces of furniture for my wife to refinish, and took one home my wife had completed. Also, another guy came to get 2 pieces she recently sold. That meant carrying 3 pieces up from the basement, and 2 down to the basement. My back was aching all night.

I also trimmed some smaller 3" diameter limbs off of the Cherry tree out front that had grown over the roof. I have a small electric Poulan chainsaw that does a decent job for what it is. Probably not the smartest thing wielding a chainsaw with one hand up on a ladder, but I got it done and the mess cleaned up. The total length of each limb was probably around 10 ft.

Going to try a little preventative maintenance up on the roof today. That shallow, low pitch trough on the roof above the garage that leaked last winter is going to get a 4" wide coating of black rubberized sealant down the length of the trough. This trough is completely hidden from view from the street, so no one will be able to see the coating on it. Because it is such a low pitch in that area, I will still do like Norm suggested last year, and that is if we get any substantial snow I will melt it off with water to keep any ice dams from forming.

It's already been over a month since the 4-4-2 was last out, so sometime today I plan to start it up and burn any built up moisture out of it, and since it's going to be so nice I can cruise around the subdivision a little to lube the tranny and rear end seals up too.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old November 16th, 2021, 06:02 AM

Chris, I think I started collecting 'Stuff" in college

A partial list would include

Beer cans from other countries [ in a box in the barn along with M38 A 1 24 volt electric parts]
yes, Decanters
Browning shotguns/pistols [still have a few]
Delf porcelain [still have]
K-bar knives [all over everywhere
Duck remarked prints [ under bed]
Airplane prints signed by the ace or famous pilots [under bed]
Confederates pistols [sold made good profit]
Civil war mini ***** [ about 300 different types] sold made a little profit
Civil war cannon ***** [sold made a little profit]
Springfield rifles/ muskets [still have too many]
Colt Civil war pistols [sold made a little profit]
pre 64 Winchester rifles/shotguns [still have a few]
Oldsmobiles [and parts] I have a full set of Vista Cruiser glass in my barn [sold most maybe broke even]

Things I want but don't need

Amphicar
M 38 A 1
M 37

Things I do need
New tractor

The good lord is only going to give you so much. You get one good wife, one good bird dog and one good horse. I have had the 1st 2 and don't want a horse

This is really good therapy for me, thanks for listening
Old November 16th, 2021, 06:39 AM

The good lord is only going to give you so much. You get one good wife, one good bird dog and one good horse. I have had the 1st 2 and don't want a horse

This is really good therapy for me, thanks for listening
James - "They" (not sure exactly who "they" are) say, the most important step in correcting a character flaw is recognizing you have it. I'd say you're just fine, your list of "things" wasn't crazy long, and it looks like you already got rid of a bunch of things. Self awareness moving forward is the important part.
Old November 16th, 2021, 07:07 AM

Chris,

"They' also say, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a good sign you're crazy
Old November 16th, 2021, 07:20 AM

Chris,

"They' also say, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a good sign you're crazy
Spank me twice and call me crazy!
Old November 16th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

Everyone needs an Amphicar.