The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Sounds like you had a pleasant excursion. I have two power ports on the Chief Vintage - one on the left-hand nacelle under the seat (higher rated but I can't recall the amperage) and one on the triple-tree nacelle (lower amperage) - I don't have a fairing.
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I think I got two somewhere in my basement.

Thanks Please Keep looking
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Sounds like you had a pleasant excursion. I have two power ports on the Chief Vintage - one on the left-hand nacelle under the seat (higher rated but I can't recall the amperage) and one on the triple-tree nacelle (lower amperage) - I don't have a fairing.
Norm - Thanks, probably the best ride I've been on this year, all things considered. Nice your Chief Vintage has 2 power ports. My Yamaha I was riding only has the one in the fairing. My Chieftain has one in the fairing, and a second one in a saddlebag. I've never needed more than one, but might need a second one if I had a heated jacket or undergarments.
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Thanks Please Keep looking
Will do. I THINK those nozzles have strainers. A lot of plastic cans don't as they don't rust, just crack eventually.

Came home from work, 1 hour nap, got up, picked up some sticks in the back yard and figured I better 2 day it, so fired up the mower, hit the front yard, and the side yard, and finished with a chunk of backyard. I'll get the rest of the sticks tomorrow, then finish the mowing. I need to do the yearly maintenance, it's high summer, so time to trim hedge, spray weeds, let them die, then burn the ditch and the drive. I'm generally severe on the trimming which lets me get away with one well timed salvo per year. No tree trimming this year as I hauled 6 truck and trailer loads off the property last year. I think I'll have one trailer load this year for the burn pile.

There appears to be some sort of put down thing going on. Whenever I cut my grass, which gets overgrown, one neighbor or another neighbor of my several neighbors, will get out and cut theirs too. The people across the street, it was nearly dark, and their yard was fine, busted out the weedwhacker and the zero turn to put another session on it. Granted, my ditch is overgrown, but they're really in no place to be disapproving as they moved in last year, have an obnoxious Doberman who often slips their electric fence, and the man does carpentry late at night with a skil saw howling out his garage door. That pretty much says you came from the country, and you might be a little trashy, too. The other neighbors fly a Rebel Flag...the Star Wars kind, and are the whitest of nerdy whites who just look disapprovingly at me when they see me. Granted, my yard looks neglected, and there are occasionally thundering V8s on my property being tuned, so I am typically pretty tolerant and I try not to judge, but they both can sod right off with their lawn games pettiness.
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...might need a second one if I had a heated jacket or undergarments.
I have Gerbing heated gloves and heated socks & use the larger amperage side nacelle power port for them.

Old August 4th, 2021, 07:35 PM

I have Gerbing heated gloves and heated socks & use the larger amperage side nacelle power port for them.
I have only started out in the morning a handful of times when the temp was below 40, knowing that it was going to warm fairly rapidly and eventually get to 60 or above. I don't really enjoy riding at speed (above 50 mph) when the temp is below 60, too hard for me to stay warm. I have a really heavy leather riding jacket, but I think a heated vest under it would be the real ticket, along with some heated socks. Yamaha has no peripheral heating (grips or seat), but the Chieftain has both which is really nice, especially not having to wear big bulky gloves to keep your hands warm.
Old August 4th, 2021, 07:46 PM

I find this talk of heated riding gear quite humorous. I realize it gets cold in some places, but it’s hard to think of heated gear when today’s high was 116F and the morning low was 90.
Old August 4th, 2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I find this talk of heated riding gear quite humorous. I realize it gets cold in some places, but it’s hard to think of heated gear when today’s high was 116F and the morning low was 90.
Kenneth - Sounds like a bad case of "Frigid Envy" to me! To rub salt in the wound, the morning low here tomorrow is supposed to be 58. After visiting my relatives out there several times, I thought I might like to have a small 2nd home out there when I retired. Your posts about the ungodly heat have definitely changed my mind about that. That kind of heat almost year round is just nuts!
Old August 4th, 2021, 08:04 PM
Running On Empty

I've ridden in very cold temperatures for extended periods of time - throughout the Rocky's & throughout the Smoky's - i.e. 38°F - 45°F @ 50mph with no Gerbings - it's bitter cold. One year (2015?) I rode from NC>FL (Daytona Beach) in drizzling rain. The drizzling rain temperature when I left NC was 43°F; and, neither did the drizzling rain stop nor the temperature rise above 50°F until I passed the GA/FL border - that was while I was wearing Gerbings. I rode traveled I-95 South @ 50mph - 55mph. What a miserable ride for two days straight. I couldn't handle it any longer the first day and had to rest in GA - somewhere, wherever I stayed. Remember - I have no fairing and I have no heated grips. I ain't right in the head. You can do the math:

Old August 4th, 2021, 08:20 PM

I've ridden in very cold temperatures for extended periods of time - throughout the Rocky's & throughout the Smoky's - i.e. 38°F - 45°F @ 50mph with no Gerbings - it's bitter cold. One year (2015?) I rode from NC>FL (Daytona Beach) in drizzling rain. The drizzling rain temperature when I left NC was 43°F; and, neither did the drizzling rain stop nor the temperature rise above 50°F until I passed the GA/FL border - that was while I was wearing Gerbings. I rode traveled I-95 South @ 50mph - 55mph. What a miserable ride for two days straight. I couldn't handle it any longer the first day and had to rest in GA - somewhere, wherever I stayed. Remember - I have no fairing and I have no heated grips. I ain't right in the head. You can do the math:
Man that sounds like a miserable trip, and dangerous! Shivering, on a motorcycle, in the rain, I think you're right, you're not right in the head! Like I said before, I'll only start out when it's below 40 when I have a high confidence it's gonna be up around 60 in just a couple of hours. Cool chart pun intended, I'm keeping that one!
Old August 4th, 2021, 09:40 PM
Running On Empty

Shivering, on a motorcycle, in the rain...
I didn't say I was shivering - at least not the entire time. I was wearing Gerbings, so my hands and feet were comfortable for extended periods of time (until I stopped to thaw them out). I was also wearing a complete set of protective waterproof outerwear - including waterproof booties over my motorcycle boots. Yet, there remains most likely no logical reason for a sane human being to be riding a motorcycle in that weather.
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:00 PM

Yet, there remains most likely no logical reason for a sane human being to be riding a motorcycle in that weather.
Well, there was me back in 1980, when I bought my '79 Yamaha in January of that year, February rolls around, we have had no snow at all, and I'm ansty to ride my new toy. I picked it up from the dealer and rode for about two hours in 29° weather, I couldn't feel my legs when I got home, took a couple of hours to thaw out with the help of a lot of hot coffee.
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, there was me back in 1980, when I bought my '79 Yamaha in January of that year, February rolls around, we have had no snow at all, and I'm ansty to ride my new toy. I picked it up from the dealer and rode for about two hours in 29° weather, I couldn't feel my legs when I got home, took a couple of hours to thaw out with the help of a lot of hot coffee.
Dan - Good story.
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:54 PM
GCH

Glenn - Good to hear from you. So glad the stone in the road did not cause you to have a blowout or go down! I agree with Norm, very sad story about Monika and Patrik! Hope you're enjoying your summer over there. Have you had your car out to any shows or cruises lately? This past weekend was the 1st time in 8-weeks that I didn't get my car out to at least one event. There are two cruises coming up on Friday and Saturday this week and I'm hoping to make it to one or both of them if the weather will cooperate.
Hi we have been at a couple of cruisings but the 98 not works so well now , the engine suddenly stops when cruising at
low rpm / speed but starts easy up again , last time we drove home and took the Dynamic instead. But the 98 engine
have big starting problems now , should check if it´s any fuel issue . Was thinking to order a new Carter M4871 fuel pump
but seems to be sold out for the moment.
Replacing an old carport where my truck stands so this takes a little time to do , nothing fancy but protects from rain and snow.

We have been at the new motorcycle museum on the other side of the border and there was a lot to se , could put some
pics in the motorcycle thread.

Regards Glenn.
Old August 5th, 2021, 03:07 AM

Will do. I THINK those nozzles have strainers. A lot of plastic cans don't as they don't rust, just crack eve.

Yes, the Donkey dicks for the Jerry cans have strainers built they aren't the problem

Thinking new boat house= new gas cans, I bought 2 6 gallons at NAPA, The POS have a plastic strainer about 4" down inside the can which is a PITA to fill. The gas splashes against the strainer and shuts off the nozzle

Norm, re dryer Just keep thinking about the little engine that could " I think I can, I think I can"
Old August 5th, 2021, 03:16 AM

I'm going to try to put up some pics of the tree guys taking down trees in my yard. Wow what a show it is!

Timber!

This is where thy attached a rope and went to another tree at ground level with a block and tackle to a truck. Guy up above cuts tree while guy in truck pulls it away from house.

This is how the dead Oak looked after all the pine were removed around it.--- OAK WILT---bad....

Daisy helped, she was part of the crew...

pines gone but dead oak still standing It's the big one in back of the pic.
Old August 5th, 2021, 03:51 AM

Norm, I seem to remember that exact condition you have but after racking my brain, I still can't recall what it ended up being. Yep, the biggest problem was a persons house. I always thought if the customer had to bring the appliance into a shop, appliance repair would be easy. I remember very well a washer and dryer built into a hallway in a Mobile home. You had to jimmy the dryer over enough to get it out the smaller opening after removing the folding doors. Then there was not enough room for me and the dryer in the hall, had to lift my legs over dryer if wanted to work on back or front, etc. Sounds like your space problem is even worse. That was the place that I broke a family memento that aunt Marge or someone made years ago because it fell off a shelf above the dryer. I hated that work!!
When we moved I acquired many gas cans from the combining of the 3 places. I found that each nozzle would only work on that particular maker's plastic can. Sometimes they would thread on but would leak all over as you poured. I like those metal cans they sell at TSC and others that have the flapper you hold open- like a paint thinner can, but they are expensive. I liked the old military cans but yeah the donkey dicks are usually missing.
Chris, looks like a nice ride!!
Old August 5th, 2021, 05:46 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn - I hope the weather is pleasant in Sweden this summer. I've never been that far North in Eastern Europe - you are certainly surrounded by plenty of water. I hope you find the issue with your 98. It's odd that fuel pump is unavailable.

James - No kissing frogs or little engine that could today. Today, I butter bricks.

Greg - They did a great job on removing the trees & the cleanup. The soil must not have been too water saturated as I don't see any large ruts - in fact it looks very clean & even. It sure looks nice and it will be much cleaner and easier to maintain on the roof & the yard. I 'might' be able to remove the dryer drum in its current location to get to the motor but that's on hold until it rains again. I've relegated the dryer to an indoor activity (when it's raining) while I finish 'The Wall'.

Mike - Since you haven't sold your current home, I suspect move-in to your new home is no rush? I'll bet you're looking forward to some new landscape. I hope it's working out well.
Old August 5th, 2021, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, looks like a nice ride!!
Greg - Thanks, it really was a nice one. Looks like the tree company did a great job on the trees! That should be a load off your and your wife's minds getting those down away from the house!
Old August 5th, 2021, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
We have been at the new motorcycle museum on the other side of the border and there was a lot to se , could put some
pics in the motorcycle thread.

Regards Glenn.
Glenn - Sorry the 98 is running poorly, hope you are able to get it fixed soon!

Saw your pictures on the motorcycle thread, they were great, thanks for sharing. You guys be safe out on your motorcycles!
Old August 5th, 2021, 10:15 AM
GCH

Glenn - I hope the weather is pleasant in Sweden this summer. I've never been that far North in Eastern Europe - you are certainly surrounded by plenty of water. I hope you find the issue with your 98. It's odd that fuel pump is unavailable.
We have had some weeks with hot weather here but now we got a lot of rain , But i guess the heat here are nothing
compared what you have in the states .I order many parts from Rockauto , many times it,s much cheaper to ship
from US rather than buy in Sweden. Before Harley Davidson Co stopped their dealers in US to send parts to us
here in Sweden ( and Europe ) we bought very much mc parts and earned thousends of swedish kronor .
I can read that you are intrested in golf Norm , so i send you a pm about golf here

Glenn - Sorry the 98 is running poorly, hope you are able to get it fixed soon!
Saw your pictures on the motorcycle thread, they were great, thanks for sharing. You guys be safe out on your motorcycles!
Yes there was a lot to look at . Should look at the 98 soon , has been much other things around us. I connected a
vacuum gauge and tried to adjust so i got max vacuum 18,5 , but now the engine wont start so i should check fuel and
se what happens. Dwell and ingnition timing are ok and new points,plugs cap rotor. I also mounted a phenolic spacer
from dashman to prevent heat from manifold to the carb. Carb is a rebuilt Autoline C979 from Rockauto.

Dashman's, Hot rod and custom speed equipment parts - Dashman's, Hot rod and custom speed equipment parts

Ps , have a nice weekend all
Old August 5th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I figure once I stop beating my head against the wall it should feel pretty good. This morning, the day before closing, the lender wants the latest statement for my big trailer that has about 7 months to be paid off. At first he said the only way I could qualify for my loan was to pay it off. Then he said oh wait it's under 12 months so we don't need to include it. Today he said the statement is a condition for the loan. I let him have it with both barrels. I really didn't think I could get it to him and I said he'd just have to do without. He said it will hold up closing. I said why don't you try that.

The thing yesterday was the last thing they needed. Then today was the last thing but was a condition. Something that isn't even in the equation. I'm not a violent man, but I have been having these fantasies...

Beautiful out. Work was okay, we got a lot of big wheels at the end. I had told the lead earlier that if he needed a volunteer to go home early I was his man. Turns out my wall guy is off tomorrow as well and the lead came to us and said as soon as we get where we need to be we could leave. Turns out it was only a few minutes before everyone else but it's the thought that counts.

Greg I had some trees taken down a few years ago. The guy worked with a big tree company and did stuff on the side. He did not appear professional in the least. There was a big pine close to the house that needed to come down. I was standing on the porch watching him but he worked so haphazardly that I had to go in the house.

Norm, hope you got a lot of bricks done. I am sort of under the gun for the old house because I can't afford very long to have two house payments. This is going to be an after school and weekends job for a while. I've got help for the big stuff.

Koda to say my yard is nothing to look at is an understatement. I'm going to try to keep the new yard a little nicer. It actually has grass and nice shrubs in the front yard. Funny, no one has really ever said anything about my yard, except for my neighbor and then it wasn't because he disapproved of how it looked, he was trying to get back at me for something.

Okay gonna get stuff in the car so we can continue on to Florida from the attorney's office tomorrow. Tiger will be with me and my agent promised me a reserved spot right up front so I could leave the car running and the AC on. I have this feeling that the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming freight train.

Well have a good evening everyone. I get to stay up late tonight. Not too late because I'm not sleeping in, but I won't be up at no 2am.

Old August 5th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Good evening guys,
About 3-months ago my old Samsung Galaxy S7 got trashed when it fell out of my pocket on my motorcycle, and I started using my wife's old S7 with my SIM card in it. Well, it has been acting up lately, going into a loop of turning on and off until it runs the battery down,, and there is nothing I could figure out to do to stop it! I broke down today and went to the Verizon store this morning and bought a new Samsung Galaxy 5G A42, not fancy, but does everything I need it to do. With a customer loyalty credit, I got the phone, protective case, and liquid glass screen protection for only $300, not bad for today's phone prices.

Planning on meeting my buddy at a big cruise-in tomorrow afternoon/evening, the one that had the big firetruck before. The firetruck was not there the last time I went to this one, but maybe it will be back this time and I can get a closer look and some close up pics for Norm. This is the best monthly cruise in the area because it always has +400-cars, and there is a much better chance of seeing some decent Olds. Supposed to be really nice tomorrow with a high of 82 and essentially no chance of rain. Things are supposed to,start heating up again finally on Saturday. Guess I'll have a good opportunity to try out the new camera on this phone tomorrow, so I'll try to get several pics of cars you guys haven't seen before.

Wife has another potential customer coming to look at another table and chair set at 1900. They haven't committed to buying it yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll take it, it's solid wood and damn nice for $400. You can't buy cheap crap from Walmart for that.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 5th, 2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old August 5th, 2021, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
I really didn't think I could get it to him and I said he'd just have to do without. He said it will hold up closing. I said why don't you try that.
Mike - You're on the 1-yard line, keep you're head, and finish the deal tomorrow! Good Luck!
Old August 5th, 2021, 06:15 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I hope the fire engine makes an appearance. Did she sell the table & chair set?

Glenn - Did you disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum canister and plug the end before setting your initial timing with the timing light? I looked at those 1/4" thick phenolic riser's from Dashman - they look really nice - I hope they work well. 18.5" Hg is a nice vacuum.

Mike - I hope closing doesn't turn into a runaway freight train. If you feel the need to make a point about something (anything) during closing while they're all nestled in on a Friday afternoon scoring a home-run at your expense, never forget the balk - insist on putting off the closing until next week unless they agree with your conditions. Hell, even if things are going smoothly ask to postpone until next week and watch the smoke coming from their ears. Everyone needs a good laugh.

Very little amount of very light misting this afternoon. I'll have the brick laying complete on the second column the next time I butter bricks - one more last course and a final brick cap overhang. It appears I'll be working on the clothes dryer the next couple of days as more scattered rain, showers & thunderstorms loom in the area with this frontal boundary moving alongside the coast.
Old August 5th, 2021, 06:44 PM

Chris - I hope the fire engine makes an appearance. Did she sell the table & chair set?
Norm - I hope the fire engine makes an appearance too, you've got me interested now! Unfortunately, she did not make the sale. Actually, the potential buyer never showed, and messaged after the fact and said his wife had found something else. She's not too disappointed, things have been selling better lately. Thanks for asking!

Old August 5th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I walked on closing when I bought this house. Turns out -everyone- lied to me but I let my agent talk me into going back the next day. The sellers had signed their stuff and the attorney held it for me. Like the Bosch commercial says, go with your gut.

I got an email tonight from the lender's office. His smiling face and what a pleasure it's been to do business and thank you so much for choosing us. I laughed. Obviously auto-generated.

Well I didn't get much put in the car, because as soon as I pulled out my bag Tiger went off the deep end. Whining, pacing, just carrying on like we were going someplace that instant. So I'll get up a little earlier and finish. I tell him, I'm the dad we do things my way. He doesn't care.

I think I'm gonna hit the sack. Gotta finish loading the car then head out to closing, then hit the road for Florida. The neighbor is going back to the house to continue packing/loading. I don't know why I find this funny, but he's got to put it away all at once when he gets it up to his new house. At least I have the leisure of taking a little bit at a time.

Have a good night everyone. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Old August 5th, 2021, 06:59 PM
Always room for one more

Old August 5th, 2021, 07:53 PM

Good evening guys,
About 3-months ago my old Samsung Galaxy S7 got trashed when it fell out of my pocket on my motorcycle, and I started using my wife's old S7 with my SIM card in it. Well, it has been acting up lately, going into a loop of turning on and off until it runs the battery down,, and there is nothing I could figure out to do to stop it! I broke down today and went to the Verizon store this morning and bought a new Samsung Galaxy 5G A42, not fancy, but does everything I need it to do. With a customer loyalty credit, I got the phone, protective case, and liquid glass screen protection for only $300, not bad for today's phone prices.

Planning on meeting my buddy at a big cruise-in tomorrow afternoon/evening, the one that had the big firetruck before. The firetruck was not there the last time I went to this one, but maybe it will be back this time and I can get a closer look and some close up pics for Norm. This is the best monthly cruise in the area because it always has +400-cars, and there is a much better chance of seeing some decent Olds. Supposed to be really nice tomorrow with a high of 82 and essentially no chance of rain. Things are supposed to,start heating up again finally on Saturday. Guess I'll have a good opportunity to try out the new camera on this phone tomorrow, so I'll try to get several pics of cars you guys haven't seen before.

Wife has another potential customer coming to look at another table and chair set at 1900. They haven't committed to buying it yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll take it, it's solid wood and damn nice for $400. You can't buy cheap crap from Walmart for that.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!
Chris, you're right on old stuff being better. From my grandma's house, I had the round seat wood chairs mechanically repaired, and both of these tables worked on. The little guy was *** red and now is a nice honey, and the big one is American Ash, and I had the top refinished and a board found and made into a leaf.

Previously, they were like this. I use a dude in Carmel who is slow, expensive, and excellent.

I also grabbed some pieces that needed no work. From my grandma's and great aunt's houses, the vast majority of the upholstered furniture was auctioned or donated, and a lot of the wooden stuff, too, but I took 20 or so cabinets or tables of some kind, and accompanying chairs. Most are not valuable, and nobody wanted them. Add to that some stuff from home in Florida, some stuff my sister abandoned, and some carryovers from college, and I haven't had to buy much furniture, but, what I did buy, I use the most (my bed, my recliner, my office chair.) Spoils of war, cleaning those places out and now this damned tree....

Old August 5th, 2021, 07:54 PM

Mike, I hope that closing works, and that ad is legendary.
Old August 5th, 2021, 08:15 PM

Chris, you're right on old stuff being better. From my grandma's house, I had the round seat wood chairs mechanically repaired, and both of these tables worked on. The little guy was *** red and now is a nice honey, and the big one is American Ash, and I had the top refinished and a board found and made into a leaf.

Previously, they were like this. I use a dude in Carmel who is slow, expensive, and excellent.

I also grabbed some pieces that needed no work. From my grandma's and great aunt's houses, the vast majority of the upholstered furniture was auctioned or donated, and a lot of the wooden stuff, too, but I took 20 or so cabinets or tables of some kind, and accompanying chairs. Most are not valuable, and nobody wanted them. Add to that some stuff from home in Florida, some stuff my sister abandoned, and some carryovers from college, and I haven't had to buy much furniture, but, what I did buy, I use the most (my bed, my recliner, my office chair.) Spoils of war, cleaning those places out and now this damned tree....
John - That's a beautiful old dining set! Kudos to you for wanting it, and caring enough to restore it and use it every day! My Mom was big time into buying and refinishing antiques. I was lucky neither of my siblings really cared for antiques and I got most of her cherished pieces because they simply didn't want them. Much of our house is furnished with them, and I'm just hoping one of my girls wants them some day to keep them in the family. I don't have any pics right this second, but I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow so you can some of the nicer pieces. I only got one item from any of my grandparents stuff, my Grandma on my Dad's side left me her fine silverware, stating in her will that I should have it because I love to eat so much. She loved to cook, and boy could she, and she always told me how much she loved to see me eat all her wonderful cooking.
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:13 PM

Nice, looking forward to it.

That's actually "the breakfast room table." The dining room table, which I'll photo, is awesome-er.
Old August 5th, 2021, 10:33 PM
GCH

Glenn - Did you disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum canister and plug the end before setting your initial timing with the timing light? I looked at those 1/4" thick phenolic riser's from Dashman - they look really nice - I hope they work well. 18.5" Hg is a nice vacuum.
Wow i must have missed this , i only plugged the port from the carb to the distributor . The timing light
showed 8 at the engine. Thanks for tip

( could be hard to find the right word in your language for parts sometime )
Old August 6th, 2021, 04:25 AM

Glenn, good luck on your car. I forgot how those older 4 barrel carbs look, really cool like a piece of art sorta... symmetrical and all..
Chris, too bad I couldn't have told you about this before, but I'm sure you will like your new phone and get lots of use out of it. Anyway I have a old Samsung (maybe a 7) phone about 4-5 years old. It's been dropped and smashed and I am really impressed with how tough it is. I forgot and left it in my pocket and jumped in the lake when it was about a year old. It quit of course, so it was a hot sunny day and I took out the battery, sim card and left the pieces on a paper towel on the roof of our cabin in the sun. I tried it after a few hours and it tried to start, went to the hello screen and all and then shut off, only to do that over and over. I disassembled it again and left in the sun for the whole day. Then it worked fine for 2-3 years. Then another time I got drenched in a downpour and phone was in my front shirt pocket, it started the on & off again, this time I took apart ant stuck in the A/C vent of my buddys car as we came home, then put in rice overnight. Worked again for a long time. This has happened 3-4 times. Then about 3 weeks ago I couldn't connect to the internet on my laptop, (I use my phone as a hot spot). Laptop diagnostics said problem was with connection. So I again took apart phone and dried out in hot sun. That time I was all set to go get a new one, but it is working fine again. It seems it is very susceptible to rain, wetness or even high humidity. For now it's working.
Pressure washed the deck yesterday, looks a lot better. These pine trees sure do make a mess of everything, and the north side of our house doesn't get a lot of sun, should get more now that trees are gone.. Enough hunt and packing, Oh Yeah, Good luck on the closing, Mike soon it will be over!
Old August 6th, 2021, 06:02 AM

Having a brain Phart here

Old and I mean Old 5 hp Mercury outboard motor question

What is the name of the part [sometimes needs to be replaced ] that looks like a ball of wound up copper wire. Is it a coil?

It was my dad's fishing motor and I'm hell bent and determined to get it running again

Old August 6th, 2021, 06:13 AM

Chris, too bad I couldn't have told you about this before, but I'm sure you will like your new phone and get lots of use out of it.
Greg - Thanks for the potential tip on getting the old S7 to work again. I went back to my records to check when my wife and I bought those S7's and it was May of 2016, so over 5-years ago. I didn't mention previously that my wife's old phone, the one I was using, would work perfectly fine when it was plugged in, and would work fine for an hour or two and then would start the shut off sequence. It didn't matter if it was indoors or outdoors. She used to use her phone for gaming alot and my bet is the battery was just worn out. I guess I could have considered getting a new battery, I know you can get them, but I believe they either already have, or will in the near term, stop pushing updates to the S7's. I was thinking buying a new battery, which aren't cheap either, would probably be throwing good money after bad. I generally look at phones as a necessary evil, and I am not on mine much, so I don't need all the latest gizmos. I'm pretty sure it was past or nearing it's life expectancy.

My Indian motorcycle has a full FM/AM/Weather Band stereo in it that also has capability for bluetoothing music to it, but my Yamaha only has music if I'm bluetoothing music to it. When I was out for that all day ride Wednesday riding the Yamaha, my old phone died before we even got halfway. I could have plugged it into my portable charger, but thats a PIA too. I hate to ride all day without my music, just much more enjoyable with it for me. That was the last straw, at that point I was tired of F'ing with it!
Old August 6th, 2021, 06:41 AM
GCH

Glenn, good luck on your car. I forgot how those older 4 barrel carbs look, really cool like a piece of art sorta... symmetrical and all..
Thanks Greg , yes it is nice to look at

Last edited by GCH; August 6th, 2021 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Moved to Big Blocks
Old August 6th, 2021, 07:03 AM

I just read Jerry cans are illegal in California. Now I'm on a mission to grab everyone I can
Old August 6th, 2021, 07:03 AM

I just read Jerry cans are illegal in California. Now I'm on a mission to grab everyone I can
Old August 6th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Having a brain Phart here

Old and I mean Old 5 hp Mercury outboard motor question

What is the name of the part [sometimes needs to be replaced ] that looks like a ball of wound up copper wire. Is it a coil?

It was my dad's fishing motor and I'm hell bent and determined to get it running again

Magneto, I believe. Makes the spark on an alternator-less engine?