The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2021, 08:13 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I am disappointed no one recognized my baseball reference.
I got it.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 08:54 AM

I am disappointed no one recognized my baseball reference.
I've played alot of baseball, and am a huge fan, and it still went over my head. I thought you were talking by about a real technique for reducing termite or other bug infestations in Southern climates. I've said it before, I can be a little dense at times, and this was one of them.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
J Oh boy. I guess they're still filming The First Lady in ATL
Norm, Not being up on pop culture, I had no idear WTF you were speaking of. When I Googled it I figured it out [sorta] because I'm still scratching my head as to what casting director chose Gillian as Elanor Roosevelt

Koda sorry pal, I don't get it
Old August 3rd, 2021, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Koda I don't get it, either. Not a big baseball fan.

Work was something else today. Went in early and the group of us signed off 17 wheels. That meant 35 wheels apiece during the regular day. I had an excellent wall guy and we finished before lunch. We finished all the wheels before 1. Hope this keeps up the rest of the week.

So I'm not surprised at this morning's text. Yesterday I sent the lender a copy of my checking account statement for July. He said, I need your checking account statement for July. So I sent it to him. This morning he says, you only sent me your checking account statement I need the entire statement. I said, that's not what you wanted. He said I know but you only sent 2 pages out of 6 pages and when the underwriter sees that he will reject it, so you have to send the entire 6 pages. WTF does he think I am, a mind reader? So I sent him the entire thing, along with a fairly terse reply. Haven't heard back.

Norm I hope you don't miss your bike. I did not enjoy riding in Atlanta traffic and the bike stayed in the garage more and more. After awhile I was afraid it would get scratched up if I took it out, so I sold it. I had a convertible and that was better I thought.

As long as we don't know things, Jamesbo what does eating from both sides of the plate mean? Another baseball reference(home plate)? Switch hitter? Oh wait, I think I got it.

Got some patio furniture to clean up today. It is absolutely gorgeous out, not hot, almost spring like. We'll pay for it later but I'll enjoy it while it's here.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old August 3rd, 2021, 12:17 PM
Running On Empty

James - It is supposed to be illegal in baseball to apply Pine Tar (resin) beyond 18" up the handle of a baseball. I think it's a bunch of baloney. I swing a 32" or 33" baseball bat. The grip (if you choose to use the term) is generally no further up the handle than 12". Supposedly the Pine Tar can/could/might cause a baseball which is hit by a baseball bat to become more prone to veer off as a foul ball or even possibly a home run if it so happens to collide w/ Pine Tar. I think it's poppy-**** but what do I know.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 3rd, 2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 12:36 PM
Running On Empty

James - Mention to the super model next time Gillian dines at the restaurant she should Gillian what side of the plate she'd prefer to eat off of.

Mike - I'm hoping for some of your weather to roll through the Eastern shoreline of NC. It's been terribly oppressive with the heat/humidity. The frontal boundary of this system has basically stalled at the coastline for the next couple of days and we're getting significant rainfall. I managed to butter some bricks this morning before the rain began. I was hoping to finish the brick laying this week, but tough nuts - I can use a break. Maybe I'll dig into the clothes dryer - or, maybe I won't. The davenport looks real nice, actually.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 01:20 PM

Guys,
Here's the ground truth on the MLB rule about pine tar on bats. In the early days of baseball before mass production techniques, baseballs were difficult and expensive to produce. The rule was initiated to keep pine tar off the baseballs to lessen the costs for teams having to remove the tainted ***** from play, and not because anyone thought it gave the hitter an unfair advantage. Even though ***** are cheaper now, the rule has been kept to limit the amount of ***** that have to be taken out of play if they were to get pine tar on them, and to lessen the chance of the possibility of causing a player to commit an error trying to get a tainted ball out of his glove, or interfering with a players grip on the baseball. If you remember the infamous George Brett pine tar incident, where a home run was disallowed because of this rule, Brett's home run was later reinstated because it was determined the pine tar had not given him an unfair advantage.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 3rd, 2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Or, you can read it here>>>Pine Tar Incident
Old August 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM

It was recently the anniversary of the Pine Tar Incident, so I was refreshed on it.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:39 PM

Good evening guys,
Great day here, just beautiful with sunny skies, high of 82, and low humidity, reminds me of Michigan summers. My wife sold a table and 6 chairs today. Large set with 8ft. oval table (w/leaves in), 2 arm chairs and 4 regular chairs. It had been online for 4-months, but was worth the wait because she made good $'s on it. Attached a collage pic ot the 3 antique sewing machines we picked up yesterday.

I've decided we're going to ride to Piedmont, MO / Clearwater Lake tomorrow. My buddy usually doesn't like to ride over 250-miles because his bikes aren't quite as comfortable as mine, but I've convinced him it will be worth the extra miles because it's such a pretty ride. It's about 285-miles roundtrip. We'll eat lunch in Piedmont, take a slight detour to go to the lake and ride across the dam, take a few pics, and then head for home. Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat of today so it should be a good time.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

One in the lower right is around 100-years old and functional. The other two are at least 90-years old. The one in the upper right would be functional if it had a belt. The belts are cut loops of leather that are smoothed/honed into a circular diameter.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 04:15 PM

Chris, I had my grandmother's Singer and they are HEAVY
Old August 3rd, 2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I had my grandmother's Singer and they are HEAVY
You ain't just whistling Dixie!
Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:58 PM

My grandma's Singer, her last one, electric, is in my display cabinet.
Old August 4th, 2021, 04:58 AM

Chris, a friend gave my wife a Singer just like the one that says "Singer " on the frame. We looked it up and it is a 1900-1920 Edition, can't remember exactly. It also has a small set of drawers that matches the machine for bobbins, etc. They are cool, for sure. found you can still get parts for them, we ordered a belt for it and some other part- can't remember. Ooops there I went to italics, I have no idea how that happens. Anyway I found that lubing up the foot pedal assembly w/ WD40 or something very light will
get the foot pedal to work, If it doesn't operate very freely it won't work. Yeah, the one she has now works but she never uses it....
I hired a tree company to come and take down 5 60' pines and 1 80 ft Oak that has died and threatens to fall on our house. It's like watching a overhead circus show, very
entertaining. Oak Wilt is killing our Oaks around here, just like the Emerald Ash borer did to the Ash and years before Dutch Elm decease did to the Elm.
Old August 4th, 2021, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, a friend gave my wife a Singer just like the one that says "Singer " on the frame. We looked it up and it is a 1900-1920 Edition, can't remember exactly. It also has a small set of drawers that matches the machine for bobbins, etc. They are cool, for sure. found you can still get parts for them, we ordered a belt for it and some other part- can't remember. Ooops there I went to italics, I have no idea how that happens. Anyway I found that lubing up the foot pedal assembly w/ WD40 or something very light will
get the foot pedal to work, If it doesn't operate very freely it won't work. Yeah, the one she has now works but she never uses it....
I hired a tree company to come and take down 5 60' pines and 1 80 ft Oak that has died and threatens to fall on our house. It's like watching a overhead circus show, very
entertaining. Oak Wilt is killing our Oaks around here, just like the Emerald Ash borer did to the Ash and years before Dutch Elm decease did to the Elm.
Greg - That's cool your wife got ahold of one, and they actually have parts for them and you were able to make it operational. I might not have explained it well, but those are actually two,different Singers in the pic of the 3 machines I posted, one is in much better shape than the other. The nicer one only needs a belt. Good luck with all the tree felling, that's got to be a little nerve racking having those taken down around the house!
Old August 4th, 2021, 05:34 AM

My grandma's Singer, her last one, electric, is in my display cabinet.
Koda - That's really neat you a cherished piece from your grandma on display!
Old August 4th, 2021, 10:30 AM

I need another coil wire [ NAPA only sells complete wire sets] but my friend Donny had an extra. So I went by his shop He had a John Deere tractor split and was fix'in [souther for getting ready to] split it again on the back half. How many of you have seen a tractor split twice

New clutch and main seal in the front split, transmission leak repaired in the 2nd [rear split]

I [as usual ] are amazed at his mechanical abilities
Old August 4th, 2021, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

I need another coil wire [ NAPA only sells complete wire sets] but my friend Donny had an extra. So I went by his shop He had a John Deere tractor split and was fix'in [souther for getting ready to] split it again on the back half. How many of you have seen a tractor split twice

New clutch and main seal in the front split, transmission leak repaired in the 2nd [rear split]

I [as usual ] are amazed at his mechanical abilities
I have been in the way of several JD Model "A", Model "B" & Model 4840 splits. Several of Mom's brothers having been swine/holstein/grain farmers their entire lives split their own tractors. I've watched other relatives & friends of theirs split their own tractors, as well. Those "events" (watching/helping) uncles/cousins/friends is most likely what got me involved in automotive/machinery mechanics. I may have been more of a nuisance (between the ages of 12-18 years of age), but I learned tons watching them split JDs, pull crankshafts, R&R transfer cases, R&R PTOs, R&R pistons/rings/bore cylinder walls, etc. An excellent learning experience watching farmers work on their own machinery. Each uncle I can recall had one equipment barn (100'L x 50'W) with an overhead crane & pulley. Rather fascinating watching them remove the top end or complete engine of a Model A, Model B or Model 4840 and hoist it into the air, then remove head, then remove the crankshaft. Splitting them was made rather easy with the crane/pulley system which you could get excellent alignment to reassemble/install the crankshaft, engine, top-end or reassemble the split.
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Running On Empty

So, thus far I've tested continuity of the brand new Start Switch I purchased for the clothes dryer - continuity test is good. I then tested continuity of the old Start Switch I replaced - continuity test is good (I could have saved a couple bucks on that SNAFU). I just tested the resistance of the resistor assembly - rated @ 3.7 K ohms +/- 5% - the resistor assembly is spot-on @ 3.78 K ohms. I'm moving on to the timer switch next. I need to look up which wires to test for continuity. There's ten of them - three into one plug, three into another plug, four individual wires. If that checks I'll continue my electrical foray.
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Running On Empty

Tested timer switch/control for continuity & resistance - timer switch/control continuity/resistance test is good. Moving on...
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:59 AM

Any of my Olds friends got any WW II metal Jerry [gas or water] can they don't want I'm in the market
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:03 PM
Running On Empty

James - Nope. I had some but gave them to a friend in Florida many years ago. I have a half-dozen various sized military ammo boxes which I love. Did you check in any of your military surplus stores in the ATL area. Generally, they have some in stock.
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Running On Empty

James >>> https://colemans.com/nato-military-jerry-can
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Running On Empty

Large Mouth Jerry Can >>> https://colemans.com/german-military...outh-gerry-can
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:13 PM
Running On Empty

I was trying to figure out why some cans showed up and others did not. Then, I realized someone was spelling the cans either "Jerry" or "Gerry" - go figure. Here's a listing of various Jerry's and/or Gerry's?

https://colemans.com/catalogsearch/r...?q=gerry%20can
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:21 PM

Tanks Norm , They appear to be "Sold out" of the WW II cans and have plenty of "NATO cans I'm only interested in the WW II cans. But they had a very good price

Old August 4th, 2021, 01:26 PM

I think I got two somewhere in my basement.
Old August 4th, 2021, 01:28 PM

Norm, I'm good to go on ammo boxes [full and empty]. I put a 105 in the boat house storage room and have an M=16 bolted on my tractor fender as a tool box [Tractor supply doesn't carry tractor tool boxes]

Years ago, I saw 2 105 boxes for sale leaning up against a tree, I called the number to inquire. In my rather typical fashion I ended up buying all he had [maybe 50] I've given them away to the boy Scout etc and am probably down to 3 left

Boxes are a thing with me. I have a building full of boxes of boxes I even have pieces of cannon ball boxes from the civil war that have rust spots where the ***** were stored in the boxes

Mike, even got a bolted down M-60 thrown in when he bought a trailer from me [to hold chains tie down straps etc]

Now, I'm on a mission for Jerry cans so I can throw away EVERY NEW Federal regulated Stupid phucquing gas can I own [ maybe 10] I quite simply despise the new gas cans. I'm going back to things that are simple and work Jerry can with Donkey dick [spout]
Old August 4th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another day like yesterday. Tomorrow being my Super Friday maybe it will be like that again. Beautiful out, not too hot.

Jamesbo that can I've got isn't a WWII can. It has a manufacture date of 1973. So you don't want it?

Closing on the new house is in two days. The guy wanted yet something else today. I fully expect he'll want something tomorrow and then tell me to bring something with me on Friday..

I've got one of those sewing machines, too. My Grandmother bought it used about a hundred years ago. It says Kingman on it. No idea how old it is. About 30 years ago I had a friend that owned an antique store. He had rooms upon rooms of those, some nice some not so nice, he said he couldn't give them away. It's a cool idea to repurpose them but the part you'd likely take out and throw away is the ornate machine itself.

Okay nap time. Just kidding, I've got to go out and move some things in the garage. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old August 4th, 2021, 01:49 PM

Norm, I'm good to go on ammo boxes [full and empty]. I put a 105 in the boat house storage room and have an M=16 bolted on my tractor fender as a tool box [Tractor supply doesn't carry tractor tool boxes]

Years ago, I saw 2 105 boxes for sale leaning up against a tree, I called the number to inquire. In my rather typical fashion I ended up buying all he had [maybe 50] I've given them away to the boy Scout etc and am probably down to 3 left

Boxes are a thing with me. I have a building full of boxes of boxes I even have pieces of cannon ball boxes from the civil war that have rust spots where the ***** were stored in the boxes

Mike, even got a bolted down M-60 thrown in when he bought a trailer from me [to hold chains tie down straps etc]

Now, I'm on a mission for Jerry cans so I can throw away EVERY NEW Federal regulated Stupid phucquing gas can I own [ maybe 10] I quite simply despise the new gas cans. I'm going back to things that are simple and work Jerry can with Donkey dick [spout]
Dude, you need this.

Amazon Amazon

I bought 4 new gas cans 5 years ago, tossed the fed nozzles, socked a 1/2 inch hole in the back top and pressed in the vent device, and screwed the end cap that fit with the nozzle on the can. Boom, done.

Only issue is they don't flip around and store internally like the used to, but I have converted 4 5gallons, a 2 gallon, and two 1 gallon plastic gas cans to this. Other than the three 2005 era ones I have, I move 30 gallons of gas with them when I want to in one shot.
Old August 4th, 2021, 01:57 PM

Mike, WW II style is what I should have said. So Yes I want it

Like the pic above

Tanks Koda WTF do you do with the internal strainers
Old August 4th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

James - Interesting - I collect boxes and I have boxes stashed inside of boxes - the outside box labeled with the type of boxes contained w/in. I wouldn't know where to begin in describing the various uses of the several empty and full ammo boxes I own. I am thankful to have 3 or 4 five gallon plastic gas cans which predate federal foo-foo B.S. You're good to toss all those federally mandated and go with Jerry cans.

Mike - Holy snot rockets. You actually have a closing date? I thought I'd never see the day. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to go!

Well, I'm deep into the poo-poo now. I'm removing the top of the dryer to gain access to the innards. The area I have to work w/in is insane.

Old August 4th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Mike, Congratulations
Old August 4th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Door switch continuity test - PASS. The electrical foray continues.
Old August 4th, 2021, 04:05 PM

Norm, sometimes ya gotta kiss allot of frogs to meet a prince
Old August 4th, 2021, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tested timer switch/control for continuity & resistance - timer switch/control continuity/resistance test is good. Moving on...
Norm this is one of the better explanations of the reasons for capacitors and start/run windings in single phase motors. The points to remember the ac (alternating current from positive to negitve, and inductive (coils of windings) loads the current lags the voltage and capacitive loads (windings opposed by degrees) the current leads voltage, the sign wave also involves time 60sec per cycles. I am not sure how to ring out the windings separately maybe someone can chime in. We have several motor shops locally that repair motors installing new windings that were either broke or shorted out. Sounds like your having fun figuring it out and like James said you always have the brick posts to throw a clothes line between in the meantime.

Old August 4th, 2021, 04:34 PM
Running On Empty

James - I'm kissing them all - still haven't found the prince. I just finished as much fun stuff with the dryer as I care to have for today.

Door SW - PASS continuity
Start SW - PASS continuity
Timer/Selector SW - PASS continuity
Heaters/Coils Terminal Block Receptacle - PASS continuity
Thermostat Safety SW - PASS continuity
Thermostat High Limit SW - PASS continuity
Thermostat ASM SW - PASS continuity

I can't for the life of me figure out how the BELT SW does anything at all in the manner in which the BELT SW is installed, but I'm not diving into any more troubleshooting today - no one person should be entitled to this much enjoyment. I'll need to further examine how this BELT SW operates since I can't make out how it would trip if the belt were broken. Additionally, the belt is not broken - the drum turns freely. Although, I'm curious (irrespective of the drum turning freely) how that BELT SW would even function if the belt were to break. Perhaps it's not strung/wound/placed/looped or whatever - did it get bumper in my vacuuming? I don't know - but, it isn't getting troubleshot any further today. I can get in there to check its continuity so that will be the next test. I'd love nothing more than to find out the BELT SW is open in its current position and that is causing the dryer not to start & continue running. Maybe that BELT SW the way in which it is installed/strung/wound/placed/looped or whatever is in a closed state causing the dryer not to continue to run. Aside from the BELT SW, the last frog to kiss appears to be the motor itself - argh.

Add to the clothes dryer going South, one of two outside lights on my man-cave quit last week. The one which went South is a high-pressure sodium vapor light assembly. I purchased two new lamps and the lamps don't illuminate which leaves me to suspect the light assembly or the day/night light sensor has bit the dust. I'll need to check the light assembly to determine if I need a new light assembly or possibly only a new sensor (if a separate sensor is available). So, that's two electrical items which have gone kaput. Don't things generally happen in threes?

I'm hoping it won't rain tomorrow & I can butter bricks instead.
Old August 4th, 2021, 04:39 PM

Good evening guys,

Mike - You Da Man! Congrats on the closing date!

Norm - I'm fully expecting you to kick that dryer's **** and make it run. Don't disappoint me!

James - Sorry, no Jerry cans here, I only have the F'ed up kind. I am however going to look into those conversion nozzles John posted about.

John - Thanks for the link to the conversion nozzles. I was just about ready to throw 2 or 3 cans with the F'ed up nozzles away.

Got home from my ride about an hour ago and fixin to go out and start cleaning on my bike after I post this. My mileage estimate was pretty close. Last night I had estimated 285-miles and it ended up being 290 for me door to door. Wow, what a beautiful day to ride, sunshine and high of 82. T-shirt, Long sleeve shirt, and leather vest in the morning, and just t-shirt and leather vest in the afternoon. The air was nice and cool while we were riding. We had a really nice lunch at a Mexican place in Piedmont. Snapped a couple pictures parked on the dam near the entrance road to the power plant. Couldn't stay there too long because you really aren't supposed to be parked there. My buddy snapped the one of me and sent it to me. Really good ride!

Hope everyone has a great evening very one!

The 3 scenery pics are from left to right for a panoramic view to the west from the southern end of the dam.

Your's truly trying to set up my phone charger because my damn phone died while I was trying to take pics. Just lucky I have a powerport in the fairing!
Old August 4th, 2021, 05:11 PM
Running On Empty

Otto - For some reason I can barely hear that person in the video you supplied from YouTube. I watched it w/ essentially no sound, but it did get me thinking further along the lines of trying to diagnose if this is going to end up being the motor. I recall Gregg suggesting the centrifugal clutch - which I don't have a great deal of familiarity with, but your link got me to thinking of looking for another electric single phase induction motor YouTube video and sure enough I found one. In fact, the sound emanating from my motor is nearly identical to the sound you hear from the centrifugal clutch in the video (below). I'm now beginning to at least suspect the real issue is the motor itself and it's the centrifugal clutch in the motor which is shot. Beginning at 6' 32" (6:32) you can hear the exact same sound coming from my dryer. It sounds like the centrifugal clutch engages (or tries to engage) - a click, which is then followed by another click shortly thereafter - within maybe one to two seconds. I'm suspecting the centrifugal clutch is toast and I'm looking at changing the motor in this beast of a machine.

My LARGEST issue is not troubleshooting these parts, etc. but getting to the motor is going to be a nightmare - thus far. And, what I mean is this. The 'laundry room' for a lack of a better term was designed by a nincompoop. The home was built in 1930, it has had two additions added to it (1940s and 1950s). One of which is a laundry room - designed by a nincompoop. It contains my water heater, clothes washer & clothes dryer. I had to replace the water heater (of course) and I had to replace the clothes washer (of course). The clothes dryer has not been replaced. The 'ISSUE' is space. There is just enough room to actually open the door on the washer and the dryer and that's it! But, the situation becomes even far more convoluted. When you walk into the room the first item is the new water heater, the next item is the washer and the final item is the dryer. Y'all are going to love this ****. To remove the washer I have to remove the water heater. To remove the dryer I have to first remove the water heater, to remove the washer in order to remove the dryer. How's that for a nincompoop design. It doesn't phase me, I've contended with this type of ram shackle the entire time I've renovated/upgraded the home. I rewired the entire home's electrical - installing dedicated circuit breakers based upon load requirements for each home. Where there was no polarity (neutral/ground) all duplex outlets are now polarized. The list goes on & on regarding the upgrades I've performed - as I said, it really doesn't phase me any longer but this room I can't change because in order to do so, I'd have to remove an exterior wall and at least one interior wall. I already removed one bedroom (of three) and turned it into a massive bathroom with walk-in closet, whirlpool tub, huge full glass shower and double-vanity sink. So, this room stays as it is. I'm not certain I can get the drum out of the dryer to R&R the motor (I'll need to take measurements first), and then I'm not certain exactly how to remove the correct panel to get to the motor (but I'll figure that out). The issue is space, space, space. Argh. Anyways, if I haven't lost you completely, listen to the centrifugal clutch in this video - same noise my makes but mine no WORKY!

Old August 4th, 2021, 05:20 PM

have an M=16 bolted on my tractor fender as a tool box [Tractor supply doesn't carry tractor tool boxes]
Now that there is ironic. And funny, too.