The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Nice, looking forward to it.

That's actually "the breakfast room table." The dining room table, which I'll photo, is awesome-er.
John - Here are some pics of my Mom's antiques:

Antique hand carved chess and checker set

Antique phone table with the chess set

Cherry and Oak inlay on antique library desk

Antique library desk

Functional antique grandfather clock

Antique china cabinet with Mom's fine china

Antiique serving buffet, has the heavy lead glass in doors and mirror

Antique claw foot table with chairs, has two leaves that go with it but our formal dining room does not have the space

Antique love seat, with under seat storage

Grandma Nixon's fine silverware, story has it that Grandpa bought her one piece every year for their anniversary until she had a complete 8 place settings and serving utensils

Box with the silverware with family name engraved

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 6th, 2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old August 6th, 2021, 10:41 AM

Chris, My mother liked primitive pine furniture.

pic but pie safe, hand made chairs and secretary

Old August 6th, 2021, 10:50 AM

Some times I think I truly enjoy the challenge of going completely crazy

Old August 6th, 2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, My mother liked primitive pine furniture.
James - Cool pieces! Nice that you still have some of her stuff. I love old things, especially when they're still used. I also love the memories they remind us of, all those pieces were in my childhood home.
Old August 6th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Magneto, I believe. Makes the spark on an alternator-less engine?
John - I believe you're correct.
James - Look like this?

Boat Motor Exciter Magneto Charge Coil Assy T5-05000200 16058 369-06021-0 M for Parsun Tohatsu Nissan Mercury Mercruiser Outboard 2-stroke T 4HP 5HP 5.8HP Engine Boat Motor Exciter Magneto Charge Coil Assy T5-05000200 16058 369-06021-0 M for Parsun Tohatsu Nissan Mercury Mercruiser Outboard 2-stroke T 4HP 5HP 5.8HP Engine
Old August 6th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Running On Empty

James - Here's a bunch if you're in a quandary.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boat...-zOGXdtLPreZkM
Old August 6th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Running On Empty

Hate to say it but the $HIT is getting real now...

Old August 6th, 2021, 12:42 PM
Running On Empty

I just read Jerry cans are illegal in California. Now I'm on a mission to grab everyone I can
Do a search for "Jerry can" on craigslist around ATL. I did a global search for "Jerry can" and turned up a plethora of them.

https://www.searchcraigslist.net/results?q=jerry%20can
Old August 6th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Tank Norm,

Old August 6th, 2021, 07:38 PM

Good evening guys,
The cruise-in was great. It was a little toasty, but very well attended, at least +400-cars there, something neat for everyone. There was a nice Starfire there and a really nice 65 442. Enjoy the pics, it will probably take at least 2 posts to get them all in.

Didn't even know this was an Oldsmobile when I first saw it! Still wouldn't have know except.it says Oldsmobile at the top of the grill.

Old August 6th, 2021, 07:54 PM

Guys,
Second set of cruise photos. I think.the camera in my new phone is pretty decent.

Probably my favorite car there, other than mine, pretty sure it's a '71 Dodge Super Bee, very nice!

Old August 6th, 2021, 08:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man I'm beat. Got up at 6 to get ready for closing. Got there by 9, I don't think we were in there 30 minutes. Everything went smoothly. The lender guy wasn't there so that's probably why. Now I have two houses. That can't last.

Tiger was fine while I was in the office and then we hit the road for Florida. Got to my Mom's and then headed to my niece's house. My other niece just got into town so it was nice to see her. Had dinner, hung out, came home. Chores tomorrow and then dinner again. I'm going home Sunday.

Chris my favorite out of that batch is the Plum Crazy Coronet RT. Close second the black 57 Chevy convertible.

We had an antique serving buffet and an antique dining room set when I was growing up. When everyone moved they both got sold. My aunt gave my Mom a china cabinet when she died, and I have that now at my house. It would have been sold as well but I said no I'm taking it with me. Whispers of he can't take that with him, what's he going to do with it abounded, I didn't care. We were never really big on heirlooms but that china cabinet stays. I wish we would have kept the serving buffet, it was my Mom's aunt's piece, but she didn't have any place for it and I was pushing my luck with the china cabinet. The big table and chairs we bought at an antique sale in the mall, it was nice to look at but the chairs were uncomfortable and someone had cut a piece of glass to go on the table, and Mom was always harping about being careful not to break the glass. While expensive, it wasn't antique, and I thought the table looked better without it.

Well chores tomorrow. Need to mow the back yard, do some painting, fix little trinket things. Heading home Sunday, only to return next weekend. Oh guess what. Had the AC running all day in the dogmobile and it did great. Third time's the charm.

Okay have a good night everyone.

Old August 6th, 2021, 09:08 PM

Chris, those are nice pics. Phones are getting better and better at taking quality photos.
Old August 6th, 2021, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris my favorite out of that batch is the Plum Crazy Coronet RT. Close second the black 57 Chevy convertible.
Mike - Congrats on the closing, I'm really happy for you buddy! Actually the Plum Crazy Coronet RT was a very close second to the green Super Bee for me. I'd love to have either one! Safe travel to you and Tiger going home!
Old August 6th, 2021, 09:16 PM

I'll take the triple green goat.

Although the white and orange judge is nice.

Reminds me of a certain judge.

Old August 6th, 2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, those are nice pics. Phones are getting better and better at taking quality photos.
Dan - Thanks! You're right, the cameras in these newer phones are pretty amazing, and the one I just got is only a middle of the road model.
Old August 7th, 2021, 01:50 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
+1 very good quality and nice pics , next phone will probably be an 5G A42 i think. have an A3 2017 now
and it would be great with larger phone memory than 16Gb. I had 2 Sd cards with a lot of pics that been lost
because of Sd card failure so no more Sd cards for me.
Old August 7th, 2021, 03:36 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Very nice pictures. It appears the fire engine was a no-show.

Mike - Good job on the closing - apparently no one sustained any injuries?

Glenn - Not sure where the Cruising In Arvika post went in the other GC carburetor thread, but I watched it. That wood-burning stove vehicle is crazy wild!
Old August 7th, 2021, 04:25 AM

Mike, Congratulations Glad there wasn't any killing

Chris, Great pics
Old August 7th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Chris, nice pics, you sure have a lot of good car show there. That 65 442 sure brings back memories. My 1st car was a 65 Cutlass 2dr hardtop in that color combo, seems like same chrome trim, etc, but of course no mags, couldn't afford them... Mike, glad the closing went well. Went out to dinner last night with 3 other couples, ate fish and drank too many seltzer drinks. Not really a fan of the seltzers but much less carbs than beer. I have a little "spark knock" this morning, ahh that's ok it was fun.
Old August 7th, 2021, 06:14 AM

Glenn, Norm, James, and Greg - Thanks for the compliments on the pics!

Glenn - I've only had this Samsung Galaxy 5G A42 for 2-days, but no complaints yet, the picture quality does seem to be very good! Overall I think it's alot of phone for the money compared to alot of phones these days.

Norm - Sorry the fire engine was a no show. I should have posted a caption on the white tow truck pic though, if you blow up the pic you can read on the side it was owned by K Schrader Racing, aka St. Louison and former NASCAR racer Kenny Schrader, pretty cool truck.

Greg - I don't think I remember you ever posting before that you had a '65 when you were young. Glad it brought back good memories. I love the styling on the '65's, I'm not sure I'd want a 2-speed JetAway, but a 4-speed car would be really cool!. Beautiful restoration on the one at the cruise..

I'm not up on my '40's Oldsmobiles, or other makes for that matter, can any of you guys identify the year/model of the pic of the purple Oldsmobile I posted? I should have taken a side view,, but wanted to get the "Oldsmobile" name on the front.

Haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning on going to the cruise down at the DQ in DeSoto where the vintage Texaco Station is this evening. It starts at 1600.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 7th, 2021, 07:58 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I'm not up on my '40's Oldsmobiles, or other makes for that matter, can any of you guys identify the year/model of the pic of the purple Oldsmobile I posted? I should have taken a side view,, but wanted to get the "Oldsmobile" name on the front.
I believe it's a 1938 Oldsmobile Model F-38 based upon the front grille alone. I believe that was the only year they made that style front grille. Normally you'd find a hood ornament, as well. The issue w/ Rat Rods is they are heavily modified. I believe the car is a 2-door coupe; however, I think the only year Oldsmobile made a suicide door was 1935. I don't believe Oldsmobile ever produced a teardrop headlamp. Fords were renown for their teardrop headlamps & bezels. As best I can tell, it's a typical modified street Rat Rod - 1935 suicide doors, 1938 Model F-38 front grille w/ no hood ornament & sporting Ford teardrop headlamps/bezels.
Old August 7th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Running On Empty

BTW, here is a nice write-up on a restored 1938 Oldsmobile Model F-38. Note the styling of the front grille, note the lack of suicide doors & note the headlamps/bezels are not teardrop.

Family jewel 1938 Oldsmobile
Old August 7th, 2021, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
BTW, here is a nice write-up on a restored 1938 Oldsmobile Model F-38. Note the styling of the front grille, note the lack of suicide doors & note the headlamps/bezels are not teardrop.

Family jewel 1938 Oldsmobile
Norm - Thanks for the investigative work. You are correct on the suicide doors, the only year they were on a 2 door coupe was 1935. I looked at some pics of the '35's and the grills and headlights are not the same as the one I posted.
http://veh-markets.com/cars/oldsmobi...-hot-rod-.html

I think you're probably correct it's a conglomeration of multi year, multi make parts. Next time I see it I'll get better pics and try to find the owner and get the full story. It was pretty and well done though.

I find your use of the term "Rat Rod" unusual. It may be a local thing. I would call that car a Street Rod. Around here the term Rod Rod is reserved exclusively to describe abominations of cars/trucks that look like these:

There are even "Rat Rod" only shows around here and all the cars and trucks look like these! Not my thing, most have open header pipes and are as obnoxious as hell!
Old August 7th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yeah, good point. I should have stated Street Rod. At any rate, the suicide doors probably are not from 1935 although I believe 1935 was the only year Oldsmobile produced a suicide door - most likely someone reversed the hinges or custom-made new hinges.
Old August 7th, 2021, 08:50 AM

Well gang, I've got 6 gas ad 3 water [ 2 at the lake]. If Mike [and maybe Koda come through I'm good to go

Tanks for all the help

Old August 7th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Running On Empty

James - Alrighty then! I think grabbing those is a great idea.

No buttering bricks today - light to moderate to severe occasional thunderstorms and showers off & on all day. Even if I snuck in some bricks and it began raining heavily, the mortar would not have time to set enough and it would be like watching the frosting slowly melt away on a layer cake sitting in the sun .

I removed the high pressure sodium lamp fixture from the side of the man-cave. I guess what I'm looking at inside the fixture is some type of transformer - could be a ballast. At any rate, whatever it is it is toast - basically dripping with gooey brown liquid from the innards. I really like high pressure sodium illumination. They no longer make the exact same fixture - which is a bummer since I was hoping to use the same style mounting hardware from the current fixture. Oh well, time to shop around.

Old August 7th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Funny, the clock on the computer says 1250, but I'm sitting in Central time right now. Nice here, a little muggy.

Boy did I sleep good. It's usually fairly hot in the house, but I turned the ceiling fan on wind tunnel speed, so I was comfortable. Got a few chores to do today, then back to the niece's house for dinner. It was so nice to see my other niece and her family yesterday, it's been quite a long time.

So, I now have a "reason" to have a fire truck. My new house is on a small private airport and maybe once every few years there's an incident. There was one this spring. The county fire station is several miles and takes a few minutes once called to get there. If someone (me) had a fire truck on site, response would be that much quicker. Okay that's a stretch, but it's good enough for me.

I never was a fan of the Rat Rod look, but I appreciate the work that goes into them. Even the ones that look like they were dredged out of the lake, take a lot of work.

No blood was shed at closing. Although I will say that the amount of money that changed hands, bled me dry. Eh, I'll get out of my old house toot sweet and be swingin' in the new pad in no time.

Okay chores. Gotta mow the back yard, get some patio furniture put back together, and a few little things in the house. My reward? Sonny's Barbeque this evening. Win.

Have a good day everyone.

Old August 7th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Running On Empty

James - A clothes line to dry my laundry between the brick columns does not work in the rain (FWIW). I am now hanging my 2nd load of laundry from clothes hangers strewn about the house. I have found every available unoccupied clothes hanger thus far. I never realized I had that many unused clothes hangers.

EDIT: I suppose I 'could' hang a clothes line inside the house from room to room - kind of like being back in college.
Old August 7th, 2021, 12:16 PM

Norm, A ceiling fan [actually several ceiling fans] really help

It's a fairly modern concept solar + wind You're actually on the cutting edge

filled up one Jerry can with bolts, pieces of chain and kerosene. A little four wheeling should make the insides look new. I read [on another forum] there's some kind of gas tank treatment for motorcycles gas tanks . Do any of you bikers ever use anything you could recommend to reline jerry cans

The water ones, I'm gonna try to clean with vinegar

Old August 7th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Running On Empty

I hang the hangers with the clothes on them from the ceiling fans then? Low, medium or high?
Old August 7th, 2021, 01:22 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, A ceiling fan [actually several ceiling fans] really help

It's a fairly modern concept solar + wind You're actually on the cutting edge

filled up one Jerry can with bolts, pieces of chain and kerosene. A little four wheeling should make the insides look new. I read [on another forum] there's some kind of gas tank treatment for motorcycles gas tanks . Do any of you bikers ever use anything you could recommend to reline jerry cans

The water ones, I'm gonna try to clean with vinegar
You keep editing your original post and I have to go back (if I want) to read up. You realize as a Moderator your posts never (DO NOT) show you've edited your post(s).

Anyways, I have several friends you have used Red-Kote Fuel Tank Sealer & Liner and swear by the stuff. I have never used it. I'll shoot you a couple YouTube links. The guys (friends) I've known who've used this stuff have very old machines (1952 Harely Pan-Heads) - very, very old gas tanks they have cleaned and used Red-Kote.

Regarding cleaning:
(1) You'll need to clean the gasoline tanks with vinegar or something as well before you use the Red-Kote; and,
(2) You can step-up the process for cleaning the water jug tanks (and the gas tanks) if you follow my reasoning (logic) - I'll explain (below).

Muriatic Acid is Hydrogen Chloride (Hydrochloric Acid - HCl) - it is a strong acid. Vinegar is Acetic Acid (CH3COOH) - it is a weak acid. Muriatic Acid out of the jug is ~35% (by weight) HCl. Vinegar out of the jug is ~4% (by weight) acetic acid. They are both acids - get it?
HCl is about several HUNDRED times stronger than Acetic Acid - yes, several hundred. However, they are both acids - get it? They will BOTH effect metal, but it will take quite some time to dissolve metal. You don't want to dissolve the metal, you want to dissolve the rust (oxidized metal) and/or CaCO3 (calcium carbonate deposits on the bottom of the water cans). Acetic Acid (Vinegar) will take a long time to work. You want to do this faster and better? Then, I suggest you use about a 5% - 10% solution of Muriatic Acid, instead. Here is the KEY concept with both. When you're done with either the vinegar or the HCl bath(s), wash the containers thoroughly with water first (water is a very, very weak carboxylic acid - just like vinegar but several hundred times weaker than vinegar). Be sure to rinse the containers with clear water FIRST. Next, mix ~5 tablespoons of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in four cups of water until completely dissolved. Stirring until completely dissolved (you can heat it to dissolve more or faster if you wish). Add this solution to each tank. The sodium bicarbonate will neutralize both the HCl and the Acetic Acid - rendering them neutral in pH. IOW, it will stop the Rxn of the acid(s) from continuing any further since you're mixing a base with an acid. Next, thoroughly rinse with clean fresh water again. Perform this procedure one more time with the baking soda to thoroughly neutralize the acid(s). Now, you are done cleaning. Neither the HCl or the Vinegar will harm the metal of the cans. Are you sure the cans are not glass lined? I don't believe the gas cans are glass lined but the water cans may be glass lined.

At any rate, it's your call - use either Muriatic Acid (HCl) or Vinegar (Acedic Acid) - your choice. HCl will work faster and deeper at cleaning than vinegar. At any point you want to stop the Rxn's, rinse thoroughly with fresh clean water, then perform the baking soda bath a couple times.

And, James remember the saying (especially with HCl): "Do as you outa, add acid to water". Never add water to an acid.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 7th, 2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old August 7th, 2021, 01:41 PM

Thanks Norm, I haven't started on the water cans yet but your help is greatly appreciated\

No the water cans aren't glass lines only painted inside
Old August 7th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Running On Empty

This isn't a finished video (created w/ Windows 10 Video Editor) since The Wall is not complete. I have x3 more courses to finish on the last remaining column, finish the caps on each column, clean each column with HCl, pour x3 small concrete pads (one each between each column), then assemble the fence boards. Looking forward to cutting and assembling the boards.

Old August 7th, 2021, 06:16 PM

The Wall is not complete.
That so reminds me of a song I heard long ago...
Old August 7th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That so reminds me of a song I heard long ago...
...by one of the all time best bands.
Old August 7th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Do any of you bikers ever use anything you could recommend to reline jerry cans
James - I'm no help to you on the gas cans. My motorcycle tanks are always put away full, and when stored for any period of time have fuel treatment (StaBil 360) in them. My tanks should be about as clean as possible.

However, on the water cans, if they're going to be used for potable water, after cleaning with vinegar, you might want to fill them with a strong solution of water and baking soda and let them sit a couple days. I've had good luck removing any odor inside RV water reservoirs by doing that.
Old August 7th, 2021, 06:39 PM

...by one of the all time best bands.
Agreed x10! You beat me to the punch on the baking soda!
Old August 7th, 2021, 06:47 PM

Hi guys,
It warmed back up today, but I still went to the cruise-in. Left about 1515 and was home by 1930. It was fun, but not nearly as big as the one last night. Cosmic karma bit me in the **** after dissing Rat Rods earlier today, a really ugly, obnoxiously loud one parked right next to me! UGH! You will see it in the last pic. I didn't take individual pics tonight, just didn't feel into it. Sorry!

Old August 7th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Rat Rod...obnoxiously loud one parked right next to me! UGH!
Chris, c'mon. How loud can it possibly be with straight pipes?