The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2021, 10:58 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Glenn - Not sure where the Cruising In Arvika post went in the other GC carburetor thread, but I watched it. That wood-burning stove vehicle is crazy wild!
Hi , i can post the video here ( at 29,24 ):

Here is a little "different" shovelhead :

brooklyn choopers - YouTube

Old August 8th, 2021, 03:36 AM

Chris, Norm Tanks again for your help. Truth be known I'll probably never use the water cans. I just bought them because they reminded me of my days camping as a Boy Scout. Water storage has come a long way from drinking out of a hose in the yard

Norm, I never knew that about my edits, I promise, I'm not trying to drive you crazy Sorry
Old August 8th, 2021, 04:47 AM

"Of course Momma's gonna help build the wall" ... that is a different type wall that you're building, Norm. We went to see Roger Waters in Grand Rapids about 10 years ago, It was great!
Old August 8th, 2021, 04:50 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by GCH
Here is a little "different" shovelhead :
Crazy insane. You think he likes copper? I love it.
Old August 8th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Good morning guys,
Already been out this morning weed whacking while I'm waiting for the dew to burn off and then I'm out to mow..

My brother-in-law and his wife are coming over sometime between noon and 2 for lunch and to pick up 4 pieces of furniture they're buying from my wife. I'm doubting they're going to be able to get it all in one trip, the biggest vehicle they have is a full size Ford Excursion, but I'm just keeping my mouth shut. It may sound uncaring, but I'm not offering to haul it for them with them being 70-miles away, and opening that door for future transactions. I'm already doing enough hauling helping my wife to go pick up pieces, starting a delivery service is not on my bucket list for retirement!

Well, it's about time to head out and start mowing. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 8th, 2021, 10:58 AM

Well, I may have to take my camera in for a reapair/cleaning. The last two shows that I have been to and taken pics, the pics have been dull in color, like 40 year old polaroids, a bit over exposed. I checked my settings and they are fine, but I noticed that my shutter was opening up just before I was going to take a pic, even though I hadn't depressed the shutter release. A good show at the Gilmore, but a little disappointed as there were very few vintage boats there, very few cars from the classic era on the field. No fire trucks either. The younger entrants may be pushing them out, which is too bad. Chris, ya need to visit your sister! I'll post pics shortly.
Old August 8th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Chris, wise decision

Old August 8th, 2021, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=1969w3155;1361520]
Chris, ya need to visit your sister!
[QUOTE]

Dan - You're right, I really do. While I love our dogs to death, and although I'm slightly embarrassed to say it, our dogs are like an anchor keeping us from traveling. There's no sense in me researching boarding, been there, done that, none of them are up to my wife's expectations for "her babies". She has mentioned looking for an in-house dog sitter, but she doesn't seem to be in any hurry to try and find someone, and I haven't pushed the issue. There are lots of things I want to do, and places I want to see, before I get too old to enjoy them. I think I'm going to have to broach one of those tough discussions in the not so distant future. I don't have any desire to be traveling all the time, but traveling/vacationing were definitely part of my retirement plans.
Old August 8th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, wise decision

Nice! I need one of those!
Old August 8th, 2021, 02:33 PM

I did a little photo editing to try and get the pics p to snuff. You can click on the first pic to view as a slide show. https://photos.app.goo.gl/KMwSJPU9ZG7CAWqz6
Old August 8th, 2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I did a little photo editing to try and get the pics p to snuff. You can click on the first pic to view as a slide show. https://photos.app.goo.gl/KMwSJPU9ZG7CAWqz6
Dan - Thanks for editing and sharing the photos. Gotta love the Vista's with 4-4-2 badging! Do you know if the Plymouth Superbird is real or a clone? They're my favorite car of all time. You've got to love a car that NASCAR banned because it was too fast!
Old August 8th, 2021, 03:37 PM

Another fun summer day. Ack.
Old August 8th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Uneventful trip home from my Mom's. Had a nice, but short, visit. I'm going back next weekend so we'll have more time.

Seems to have been nice this weekend here. It's nice, and hot, today. My Mom keeps her house like an oven, very hard to sleep even with the ceiling fan on. So on the way home I had the AC in the car set to Atomic. It will be nice sleeping in my own house, my own bed, tonight.

Stopped by my new house this afternoon. No one was there so I went in and poked around a little. Then went to Walmart for a few things. Work early tomorrow so I won't be up much longer. Need to catch up this week.

Okay have a good evening everyone. Hope the week starts out good.

Old August 8th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Dan - Fabulous showing of vehicles. I really enjoyed viewing the great variety of items. Someone even had their vintage Indian, that was nice. And, not one but two Amphicars. The vintage REO coaches were nice, but there really was a tremendous array of vehicles. I would have loved going to that event - oh yeah. Nice pictures.
Old August 8th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Chris, it was the real deal. It was on the judging field, but I left before they announced the winners. Thanks Norm, that is why it is one of my favorite shows to go to.
Old August 8th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Running On Empty

I had to rebuild the standing board of my roll-around room scaffold I'm using to build the brick columns. I guess it's maybe ~15 yrs old & has received lots of work time; it gets taken apart and stored in the garage when not in use but the garage (not the man-cave) has no overhead garage door so its open to the elements. The board I needed to cut to length (28 1/2"W x 66 5/8"L) for the platform is 3/4" (23/32") treated CDX 5-ply plywood. I was in shell shock when I paid for the 4' x 8' x 3/4" CDX 5-ply treated plywood - $81.00 freakin' bucks! Are you kidding me? That is just insane and highway robbery. WTF

Our club course is closed tomorrow from 9:30am - 2:00pm while The North Carolina Golf Panel rates our course. So, I have a tee-time w/ some others @ another nearby club @ 10:45am.

Eighty One ($81.00) dollars for a frick'n 4x8 piece of treated plywood!!!!!
Old August 8th, 2021, 06:49 PM

My buddy just bought this 442 up in Traverse City (a little north of there), his son spotted it on FB, another member here was trying to get it. My buddy now has 3 442's, a '68, and two 70's. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-mine-157311/
Old August 9th, 2021, 05:50 AM

Good morning guys,

Norm - Haven't had the need for plywood in quite awhile, that price is outrageous!

Well, Maggie and I got up fairly early around 0500 because she needed out. When she came in she jumped up on the couch next to me and promptly threw up. No food, just that nasty yellow bile. Luckily, we keep a throw cover on the seating area because of their drool. Had to scoop off the puke, strip the cover, clean the couch upholstery (some went through the cover), and put a spare cover back on. What a fun start to my day!

It stormed yesterday evening and rained on and off through the night. More rain in the forecast throughout the day. Glad I got the yard mowed yesterday. Supposed to heat back up into the mid-90's throughout most of the week and then mid-80's again next weekend. There's a judged show this coming Saturday and a cruise-in on Sunday I'd like to make it to if the weather cooperates. Those damn Historic plates still have not gotten here! If they do not come today I guess I'm going to have to call the State DMV Office again, not relishing that thought!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 9th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Rain has stopped for a few days, Giving us a chance to catch up All grass cut, fence, pins and grave markers weed eaten, Garden plowed

Now all we have at do is water trees

Norm, Spent the morning on the beach sections of the course. I may have found most of them
Old August 9th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

James - I don't much care playing from the beach. I found the beach on the very 1st hole today - the course I played begins w/ a par 3. It's a very narrow course. 43/41
It was a pleasant day to play - mild conditions. I wouldn't think you'd need to water trees w/ all the recent rain.
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:22 PM

So I'm trying to navigate the Illinois Tollways system.

I can't make a new account to pay a toll more than 14 days old since it's a violation.
I can't pay a violation since I don't have a violation number.
I worry about the Chicago Machine being unreasonable enough to make me pay late fees from date of infraction vs date of notice.

I am trying now to get them to give me a violation number associated with the plate. On one hand, it is a 72 Indiana plate, so I wonder if they can get through the Indiana YOM system. On the other hand, I don't want to let it go and get arrested like Elwood from the SCMODS next time I go into the state with that car.
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
So I'm trying to navigate the Illinois Tollways system.

I can't make a new account to pay a toll more than 14 days old since it's a violation.
I can't pay a violation since I don't have a violation number.
I worry about the Chicago Machine being unreasonable enough to make me pay late fees from date of infraction vs date of notice.

I am trying now to get them to give me a violation number associated with the plate. On one hand, it is a 72 Indiana plate, so I wonder if they can get through the Indiana YOM system. On the other hand, I don't want to let it go and get arrested like Elwood from the SCMODS next time I go into the state with that car.

I must be missing something here. Are you saying you have a toll violation which is more than 14 days old? IOW, you passed through a toll booth without paying and it is now greater than 14 days since the violation?
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:28 PM

Norm, We have to water white dogwoods planted on some graves in certain sections
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:29 PM

I must be missing something here. Are you saying you have a toll violation which is more than 14 days old? IOW, you passed through a toll booth without paying and it is now greater than 14 days since the violation?
Yes. Chicago doesn't take money anymore, you either use their I pass or pay online, afterwards, based on plate.

I forgot, so I exceeded the 14 day moratorium to make an account and pay like a good boy, but I can't pay a violation with $3 late fee yet, as I don't have the violation sent to me yet.
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:29 PM
Running On Empty

James - Gotcha - I love dogwoods - pretty trees in the springtime. What's the other one - the pinkish/which leave I think? They're both actually pretty trees.
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Running On Empty

Yes. Chicago doesn't take money anymore, you either use their I pass or pay online, afterwards, based on plate.

I forgot, so I exceeded the 14 day moratorium to make an account and pay like a good boy, but I can't pay a violation with $3 late fee yet, as I don't have the violation sent to me yet.
Ah, OK - I see the conundrum. So, what now - they access you a late fee but first they have to match your plate to a violation number, I guess? So, in a nutshell you're waiting on them to provide a violation number (I guess) so you can pay the violation.
Old August 9th, 2021, 02:34 PM

Edit: I got me a very professional, no BS woman on the phone after half an hour wait. Set fee, I'll get a letter in the mail, it's $3, but per toll, so I owe them about 20 extra bucks. Ah well. That's not too bad. They haven't gotten to my date yet, should be end of this month. We'll see if they can figure out a 1972 plate.
Old August 9th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Edit: I got me a very professional, no BS woman on the phone after half an hour wait. Set fee, I'll get a letter in the mail, it's $3, but per toll, so I owe them about 20 extra bucks. Ah well. That's not too bad. They haven't gotten to my date yet, should be end of this month. We'll see if they can figure out a 1972 plate.
Agree. That isn't too bad - considering.
Old August 9th, 2021, 03:51 PM

Man, if all that rig-a-ma-row is what you have to go through to travel on the toll way without an I Pass, I'd avoid the Illinois toll ways like the plaque and find an alternate route. What a bunch of BS!!!
Old August 9th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Man, if all that rig-a-ma-row is what you have to go through to travel on the toll way without an I Pass, I'd avoid the Illinois toll ways like the plaque and find an alternate route. What a bunch of BS!!!
NOTE: John stated "Chicago" & you stated Illinois toll ways. There is, in fact, a difference. Somewhere outside Chicago is a state called Illinois.
Old August 9th, 2021, 04:16 PM

NOTE: John stated "Chicago" & you stated Illinois toll ways. There is, in fact, a difference. Somewhere outside Chicago is a state called Illinois.
Good point, I definitely missed the distinction!
Old August 9th, 2021, 04:26 PM

Years ago, I used to alternate routes for a change of scenery going up to Michigan. One time I'd take 70E to Indy, and then 69N to Michigan, and the next time 70E to 57N to 80/294E (Chicago) to 94 E to Michigan. After two trips in a row of getting stuck on 80/294 for 3-hours, I said never again, and I never did!
Old August 9th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Running On Empty

Having been born in Chicago & raised in Elgin (IL) I know a fair number of slippery (greasy) routes to bypass Chicago (proper). One of the keys (like with most large suburban/sprawling metropolises) is knowing the day of week & TOD.
Old August 9th, 2021, 05:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work, I'm at my desk this week again. We pretty much ran up to the end, but we were short a couple people. No biggie, not a big afternoon planned.

Norm and Koda, I didn't know there was a Chicago toll system, save for the Skyway. I used to take 294 up past the city to O'Hare, and as far as I knew it was all Illinois. Also, I'd stop every few miles and throw change into the basket. This was pre-I-Pass days. I also didn't know you couldn't use money to use the toll road anymore. So is it a violation if you don't pay but make the account within 14 days, or only a violation if you don't make the account? Sounds like the makings of a typical Illinois scam.

Took a few things over to the new house and poked around some more. Got a few ideas as to what I could do there, then went down and talked to a neighbor. Tiger isn't feeling too well today so I didn't want to stay away too long.

Jamesbo I figured you were talking about lemon trees.

Dan that looks like a nice car your buddy got. A little steep on price but if he's happy, it is a solid looking car.

Okay gonna hit the sack in a minute. Early for work tomorrow. Reminds me of the "Alice" song. Early to rise, early to bed. In between I cooked and cleaned and went out of my head. Have a good night everyone.

Old August 9th, 2021, 05:42 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Well, I may have misspoken. It's a crow's nest trying to find the correct/accurate information regarding the Chicago Toll Road System, the Skyway (which is a different system) and the remainder of Illinois. I'm really not going to go any further in depth researching it. I'll note this. During the beginning of the COVID-19 Pandemic (2019), Chicago did away with the cash toll booth collectors. I guess that worked great. The I-PASS & EZ-PASS systems (Intrastate & Interstate systems) became integrated. Then, in February (2021) of this year the Illinois Toll Authority removed all of the toll-booth cash handlers (at least that's the information I have been able to obtain on the Internet) to reduce COVID-19 transmission(s); although, there remain websites by the Illinois Toll Authority which still state toll booths are attended to by cash handlers - I can't make heads or tales of it all honestly.

Illinois Tollway Permanently Eliminates Cash Tolling

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 9th, 2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old August 9th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

Illinois Tollway permanently eliminates cash payments, so Wisconsinites should pay online or with I-PASS or E-ZPass

Old August 9th, 2021, 06:48 PM

And, I'm back to, "I'd avoid the Illinois toll ways like the plaque and find an alternate route. What a bunch of BS!!!" P.S. thanks for the research!
Old August 9th, 2021, 07:32 PM

I was trying to take a freaking over-cammed museum-stored half-gone-over H/O through that hive of scum and villainy without getting carjacked, so I went the fastest, safest, most direct route I could. They can have their 20 bones extra if they can figure out the plate.
Old August 9th, 2021, 07:52 PM

I was trying to take a freaking over-cammed museum-stored half-gone-over H/O through that hive of scum and villainy without getting carjacked, so I went the fastest, safest, most direct route I could. They can have their 20 bones extra if they can figure out the plate.
Completely understandable why you would want to take the most direct route, and not get too far off the beaten path when making that journey with an old classic. I would too under those circumstances.
Old August 10th, 2021, 02:52 AM

Not to get too political here [or offend anyone] but Chicago is like Atlanta, It's a great place to be from