The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2020, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Curvewrecker,

Bayonets [ and the other stuff] really add to your collection. you may notice a "trowel bayonet" on a trapdoor in the pic, It was actually used as an entrenching tool. Further to the right is a rare Krag "Bowie bayonet:" Oddly enough, one of the rarest I have is a plastic parade bayonet. [because every kid tore up one in his back yard]

Many years ago [ In college] I bought a 98 in a pawn shop [to murder Bambi] when I fired it, the bolt wouldn't open. With out firing the bolt worked perfectly. Come to find out the chamber had BAD pitting and the cartridge would expand into it making it near impossible to extract

Mike, When I was in high school, some kids [I didn't know[ had a wooden mocked up 50 cal that they cruised the Varsity in
[img]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/classicoldsmobile.com-vbulletin/474x364/rat_patrol_565cd34750fe84098f44448bcfa0667f54151ca 8.jpg
James - Really nice pics, I especially love that trowel bayonet. I remember my Grandpa had a very ornate **** dagger in a very ornate sheath that he brought home from WWII. It looked like something a high ranking officer would have worn on a dress uniform. I always hoped I'd get it when he passed, but then it just "disappeared" into thin air.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 19th, 2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:25 AM
Running On Empty

Tee time @ 11:42am. A light frost on the ground this morning, the concrete has not fully cured on the new newel post, temp should reach ~55°F by 11:00am w/ the high expected to be ~60°F around 3:00 pm.
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:25 AM

Chris, **** daggers are a whole new world of cool collecting, There are many different ones, Army, navy, air force, youth group I think even fire department. Many are very ornate.Now I can spend the day looking for these
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tee time @ 11:42am. A light frost on the ground this morning, the concrete has not fully cured on the new newel post, temp should reach ~55°F by 11:00am w/ the high expected to be ~60°F around 3:00 pm.
Norm - Sounds like you have the weather we had yesterday morning. It's 23-degrees warmer (53 vs. 30) right now than it was at this time yesterday morning. It's supposed to be sunny and get up to 72. Thought about asking a buddy if he would want to get out for one last ride, but finally decided I just wasn't that excited about getting out one last time. Going to winterize the last bike today and be done with riding until Spring. I'm always itching to get the bikes out again by the end of March.
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Sounds like you have the weather we had yesterday morning. It's 23-degrees warmer (53 vs. 30) right now than it was at this time yesterday morning. It's supposed to be sunny and get up to 72. Thought about asking a buddy if he would want to get out for one last ride, but finally decided I just wasn't that excited about getting out one last time. Going to winterize the last bike today and be done with riding until Spring. I'm always itching to get the bikes out again by the end of March.
Chris - Indeed, the next few days are looking to be splendid. Brilliant sunshine. I'm glad I don't need to winterize the Indian or anything else really for that matter.

My Rotella T6 HD Diesel Fully Synthetic 15W40 oil arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to see if a new oil change + the addition of the REV X Stiction Fix Oil Treatment is going to improve the cold start/rough idle condition. Fingers crossed. I've been thinking more about the new fuel injectors the service garage used. Who knows if there might be an issue with all the new fuel injectors or just one or two; and, that's if the issue is with the fuel injectors. It didn't pull any codes, but the service garage doesn't own a Ford IDS Scan Tool - they have some "other" brand. You really need a Ford IDS Scan Tool to properly diagnose fuel injectors. It's this little B.S. which is annoying. The Ford dealership garage was backed up >2 months on diesel work, and I took the truck to some good guys I trust who have worked on it before but the guy who did the work works too fast, is modestly sloppy and they don't have the really correct equipment. Life's little annoyances.
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:55 AM

Hi guys, I really don't know anything about guns, but I always admired the feel of one. I guess it is the closely machined fit and workings of them. Well, I got my handyman guy to come over a couple days ago to fill and repair the holes left in the ceiling from the 3 skylights I had removed when the roof was replaced. I borrowed a set of scaffolding from the neighbor and that sure was a great help. I'm really glad I didn't try to do it myself as this guy has done this before and knows how to match the drywall texture which he calls "Texas Knockdown". Plus after what happened to my buddy who fell off a ladder reminds me I'm not as young as I used to be either. By the way the friend who fell is back home now a week and actually walking around a little in his house with a walker. Doing better, but he has a long way to go.

Long ways up there.
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:03 AM

Chris, **** daggers are a whole new world of cool collecting, There are many different ones, Army, navy, air force, youth group I think even fire department. Many are very ornate.Now I can spend the day looking for these
James - I will be excited to see the pics if you find them. I vaguely remember the one my Grandpa had, had an ebony handle with the **** eagle imbedded on each side of the handle, and there were German words etched on the blade. I also remember it being a pretty large wide bladed dagger, but that might have been just because I was a young kid.
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:04 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I own eight sections, including wheels, of the exact same scaffolding. I bought it when I began my house renovation. Excellent scaffolding.

Old November 19th, 2020, 05:06 AM

Chris, Here are the Cliff notes
https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/german-daggers/
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, I really don't know anything about guns, but I always admired the feel of one. I guess it is the closely machined fit and workings of them. Well, I got my handyman guy to come over a couple days ago to fill and repair the holes left in the ceiling from the 3 skylights I had removed when the roof was replaced. I borrowed a set of scaffolding from the neighbor and that sure was a great help. I'm really glad I didn't try to do it myself as this guy has done this before and knows how to match the drywall texture which he calls "Texas Knockdown". Plus after what happened to my buddy who fell off a ladder reminds me I'm not as young as I used to be either. By the way the friend who fell is back home now a week and actually walking around a little in his house with a walker. Doing better, but he has a long way to go.

Long ways up there.
Greg - That is a long ways up! I hope the repairs went well. You're wise not to do it yourself. I don't know why, but I can hang off the side of a mountain on a 2-foot ledge with a 500-foot drop and not be scared, but get me up 2-stories on an extension ladder and I'm shaky as hell. I don't like being up high on ladders at all!
Old November 19th, 2020, 05:21 AM

James - Thanks. I didn't see any in the listings that jumped out at me as being like the one my Grandpa had, but it's been 50-years since I've actually seen it. I may do some searching today to see if I can find a model that looks like it.. I'm curious now!
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:34 AM

James - Thanks. I didn't see any in the listings that jumped out at me as being like the one my Grandpa had, but it's been 50-years since I've actually seen it. I may do some searching today to see if I can find a model that looks like it.. I'm curious now!
James - Had to do some searching, but found one that jumped out at me as looking just like I remember. Actually, I didn't remember the chain on the scabbard until I saw the picture, but then I remembered that too. Apparently it's a 1936 **** SS Officer's dagger. Might be worth a pretty penny today???

Old November 19th, 2020, 07:12 AM

I think it says
" My honor is call loyalty"
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:33 AM

I think it says
" My honor is call loyalty"
James - Thanks for the translation. I don't know any German except "nine" and "actung".
Old November 19th, 2020, 11:55 AM

Chris, Probably more than you wanted to know

I sure hope the one grand pa had wasn't one of these

Historical note: coming to power on January 30, 1933, Hitler realized the SA and SS Sturmabteilungen under Ernst Röhm's leadership could make a problem among his leadership. Röhm's views on the direction of 3rd Reich was beginning to sway from those of Hitler. SA & SS at this time carried the daggers with a dedication to Ernst Röhm. On the night of June, 30th of 1934, Hitler began his political purge, lasting until 2nd July, known in history as the “Night of the Long Knives.” Ernst Rohm was arrested and shortly killed by SS-Obersturmbannführer Michael Lippert. Hitler began to clear any reminder of Ernst Röhm, and the order went out to remove his name from the blades of the daggers too. Most of the daggers were modified, and Ernst Röhm inscription was removed in full or just his name. The dagger with full Röhm inscription is one of the rarest and most desirable of the German Third Reich Daggers.
Old November 19th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Chris, Probably more than you wanted to know

I sure hope the one grand pa had wasn't one of these

Historical note: coming to power on January 30, 1933, Hitler realized the SA and SS Sturmabteilungen under Ernst Röhm's leadership could make a problem among his leadership. Röhm's views on the direction of 3rd Reich was beginning to sway from those of Hitler. SA & SS at this time carried the daggers with a dedication to Ernst Röhm. On the night of June, 30th of 1934, Hitler began his political purge, lasting until 2nd July, known in history as the “Night of the Long Knives.” Ernst Rohm was arrested and shortly killed by SS-Obersturmbannführer Michael Lippert. Hitler began to clear any reminder of Ernst Röhm, and the order went out to remove his name from the blades of the daggers too. Most of the daggers were modified, and Ernst Röhm inscription was removed in full or just his name. The dagger with full Röhm inscription is one of the rarest and most desirable of the German Third Reich Daggers.
James - That's really interesting history! Would be just my luck if it was one of those. Still irks me to this day that I don't know where it went.. I remember asking all my male cousins if they knew where it went and they all denied seeing it. This Grandpa was my Dad's father and he was just a poor hillbilly from southeastern Tennessee and never had much. It wouldn't surprise me if he needed the money at some point and sold it.
Old November 19th, 2020, 12:34 PM

Some of my cousins are the brothers I wish I never had
Old November 19th, 2020, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

40/41 Pleasant day for pasture pool. Received my 2021 Wells Fargo Championship Assignment Schedule

Old November 19th, 2020, 03:03 PM

40/41 Pleasant day for pasture pool. Received my 2021 Wells Fargo Championship Assignment Schedule

Norm - That's sweet, very prestigious!
Old November 19th, 2020, 03:20 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks.
Old November 19th, 2020, 03:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another stellar day at work. Finished early, left a little early, good set up for tomorrow.

Chilly out but sunny. Waiting for a phone call so I thought I'd start the stove early.

Guns, and now daggers! And all I carry is a Swiss Army knife. I suppose I could attach some sort of blade to the front of the Deuce to go along with the 50 cal.

Greg the scaffolding looks like fun.

Okay, I got my phone call in the middle of writing this so it's no longer sunny, and it's quite a bit cooler out, with the resulting very cool in the house. I did call the gas company and they promise to be here Monday afternoon after 4, so I will be home for sure.

Time for dinner. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old November 19th, 2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Another stellar day at work. Finished early, left a little early, good set up for tomorrow.
Mike - Nice to hear about you having a good stretch at work. Hope you have a quick exit into the weekend tomorrow!
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:41 PM

Mike, my AC kicked on and ran most of the night. It was 79 inside and 60s outside. I can open the windows but there's no air flow to remove the hot air. I need an attic fan but a 2 story house with a loft open to the main living area doesn't leave any place to install one.
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Running On Empty

Tee time tomorrow 8:36 am.
I'm thinking of building my own dish satellite, buying a nominally priced satellite decoder box & working the hackers network/circuit to get my hands on some smart-card sharing chips so I can gain access to every single video & audio satellite feed possible.
Old November 20th, 2020, 12:15 AM

Norm, You've hit a nerve. I have Comcast at home and Dish at the lake, I pay 2 sorry companies more and more ever year for less and less service. I DESPISE both of them

Although Fast times at Ridgemont High has a few good scenes and Ferris Bueller's day off was mildly humorous I don't want to watch either of them over and over AND I flatly refuse to pay money for a 10 year old movie

When you get it figured out please let me know, You may have become my new best friend

More on slashing. The pic below is a "Dog River confederate Calvary saber. The close up shows the unstoped fuller [grove tapers out as opposed to strait stop like and Ames ] No one has been able to locate where the factory was but there's a letter where a reb writes of camping near the "Dog River Factory" If You flea market junkies' ever come across and 1840 [heavier than an Ames 1860] style saber with and unstopped fuller buy it

Typical Ames pic below [not very rare]
Old November 20th, 2020, 05:23 AM

Tee time tomorrow 8:36 am.
I'm thinking of building my own dish satellite, buying a nominally priced satellite decoder box & working the hackers network/circuit to get my hands on some smart-card sharing chips so I can gain access to every single video & audio satellite feed possible.
Norm and James - As far as cable service, Spectrum (formerly Charter) pretty much has a monopoly in the St. Louis area. Their television prices went through the roof. My wife researched alternatives and found that purchasing "Firesticks" for our tv's and then paying for a streaming service like Hulu, Sling, etc., would be about half the price of Spectrum. You do need to initially purchase a Firestick for each TV you want to stream a service to, but I think they are only about $40 each. We are currently using Hulu and it seems to have everything we need. We still have to use Charter for our internet service because it's the only high speed game in town.
Old November 20th, 2020, 05:28 AM

More on slashing. The pic below is a "Dog River confederate Calvary saber. The close up shows the unstoped fuller [grove tapers out as opposed to strait stop like and Ames ] No one has been able to locate where the factory was but there's a letter where a reb writes of camping near the "Dog River Factory" If You flea market junkies' ever come across and 1840 [heavier than an Ames 1860] style saber with and unstopped fuller buy it

Typical Ames pic below [not very rare]
James - Thanks for the history and id tips on Confederate Sabres. I love looking at and learning about military arms.
Old November 20th, 2020, 05:51 AM

Good morning guys,
Well, I'm another year older today at 61. First thing that popped into my mind this morning were some words to an Eric Church song, "I never thought I'd outlive Hank or Jesus!" I'm blessed to be in good health and don't feel old, until some young whippersnapper makes some smart-*** comment. Maybe just my use of the term whippersnapper proves their point to some degree but I don't give a sh%$. It's been about 3-years ago now when my girls were dating their now husbands, I was able to goad my future son-in-laws into an arm wrestling contest. I put each of them down in less than 5-seconds, never got a bit more grief from either one.

Well, hope everyone has a great day!
Old November 20th, 2020, 06:14 AM

Chris, Happy berfday. I'm so old I remember when "party" was a noun
Old November 20th, 2020, 06:35 AM

Hippie Bathday Chris!
Old November 20th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Chris, Happy berfday. I'm so old I remember when "party" was a noun
Thanks James!
Old November 20th, 2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
Hippie Bathday Chris!
Thanks CW, and I'll even use soap when I take that bath!
Old November 20th, 2020, 09:02 AM

Happy Birthday!

I'm blessed to be in good health and don't feel old, until some young whippersnapper makes some smart-*** comment.
That reminded me of the time last year when I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work for a few items. When I got home I saw on the receipt the young cashier gave me the "Thursday 10% senior discount". Dang, I'm not that old yet. And had I known there was a 10% discount I would have bought more stuff on that trip!
Old November 20th, 2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Happy Birthday!

That reminded me of the time last year when I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work for a few items. When I got home I saw on the receipt the young cashier gave me the "Thursday 10% senior discount". Dang, I'm not that old yet. And had I known there was a 10% discount I would have bought more stuff on that trip!
Kenneth - Thanks! Glad to know you wouldn't have passed up buying more stuff if you'd known about the discount. I'll take any discount I can get these days when the cost of things keeps going up more than any cost of living increase I get yearly on my retirement annuity.
Old November 20th, 2020, 09:38 AM

Happy birthday Chris, nice to have another kid here. Norm, I was a fan of "Hell on Wheels" great show.
Old November 20th, 2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Happy birthday Chris, nice to have another kid here. Norm, I was a fan of "Hell on Wheels" great show.
Thanks Dan! I'm just going to keep telling myself, I may have to grow old, but I don't have to grow up!
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Happy Birthday. Four more years you can move up to the white tees!

Chris/James - Evidently one of the props guys from Hell on Wheels has one of the largest vintage/antique guns collection in North America.

40/39 = 79
42°F when I awoke, 55°F @ tee time & 70°F when I finished - splendid day.
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:50 AM

Chris - Happy Birthday. Four more years you can move up to the white tees
Thanks Norm! I'm having a great day. Nice round! Weather is 70 here today too, much cooler with rain moving in tonight.though.
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:52 AM

The :"Fuller Collection" at Chickamauga is the nicest collection I've ever seen

https://www.nps.gov/chch/learn/histo...collection.htm
Old November 20th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Out by 1130 this morning, then stopped at Awful house. Haven't done squat since I got home, except look stuff up. I guess I'd have to do it sometime.

Happy Birthday Chris. Hope your day is a success.

So it's warmer outside than it is inside, so I left the sliding door open in the kitchen. Gas man comes Monday. Kenneth that's very funny.

So that's it for another week. We get to stay up late tonight. I think I'll pop in a Speed Racer DVD for the evening.

And that's all I got so far. Have a good afternoon everyone.