The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I knew that Mike. Sorry to burst you bubble about Sally Field.
Old August 17th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Running On Empty

When I was quite young I had naughty thoughts about that nun.

I read similar stories/incidents as Glenn stated regarding Sally Field’s demeanor/behavior while on set at various locations and her interactions with cast, crew and locals.
Old August 17th, 2021, 12:01 PM

I would figure, for as not so pretty as she was, she'd know to have a personality.
Old August 17th, 2021, 12:49 PM

Nuff said!
Old August 17th, 2021, 01:03 PM

Chris, Congratulations
Old August 17th, 2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Congratulations
Thanks James!
Old August 17th, 2021, 01:41 PM

Wooo.
Old August 17th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Wooo.
Thanks John, glad I won't have to be driving around in violation anymore!
Old August 17th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Always room for one more

Praise Be! Now the other ones can go up on the living room wall.

Old August 17th, 2021, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Praise Be! Now the other ones can go up on the living room wall.
That will be on the garage wall, there would dire consequences heaped on me by a higher power if I tried to display the old ones inside the house!
Old August 17th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Always room for one more

Apparently we've had a bit of rain. This is the back side of the lake. This creek is very small and runs through a pipe under the road. Knowing what the road looks like otherwise, I'd say the bus could have -probably- made it.

Old August 17th, 2021, 07:35 PM

Don’t you have a vehicle made made for that?
Old August 18th, 2021, 04:12 AM

I grew up swamp hunting in Florida and have had just enough of creek fording in 4x4s. Lots of fun times with my old man, but I never did like going through high water in something that was not a boat.
Old August 18th, 2021, 04:31 AM

I was quail hunting once after a heavy rain that flooded a creek with water covering a wooden bridge. My dogs would be trotting along the wooden bridge in about 8" of water and suddenly go over the edge of the bridge and be swimming. They had the WTF happened look on their faces when they climbed back onto the bridge

moral of the story Ya never know what's under the water [ or not]

Norm, You're getting so good t it I think ya should make it bigger

Old August 18th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got home at 5 this morning. My Mom thought I was nuts leaving late at night, but it was the right thing to do. The air coming out of the vents in the car was coolish, but Tiger was still uncomfortable. We stopped about half way home, I couldn't keep my eyes open so thought what the heck, it should be cool enough to nap if I left the windows part way down and the fan still on. Nope. After about 10 minutes of Tiger huffing and puffing in my ear I knew that was not the thing to do. Got back on the road and the AC started working. So half the trip was comfortable.

Really had a nice visit. Didn't get a whole lot done but stayed busy. I have now seen all the (immediate) family and I hope it isn't so long that I see them all again. My brother and his family had such a good time at the beach they made reservations for the same place for next year.

Kenneth I do have that vehicle, actually three vehicles capable of that feat. Maybe I should contract out with the schools.

So I'd be on the road all day today anyway, but being home I have a few hours to myself. Gonna take a few things over to the new house. Gotta find a carpet cleaner because that is really what's holding up the moving. Might not be a bad idea to try to mow over there, at least the front yard.

Well, I best do something. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old August 18th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Chris, the plates look good. Root canal coming up for me next week, can't wait....NOT!
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'm done w/ bricks, but good thought. Without getting too political, what country or area of the planet Earth was that picture taken - I love it?The Great Wall of China first comes to mind, but it looks more like Great Britain, Nederlands, Belgium or Germany.

38/39 this morning. On the 18th green the bucket fell out of the sky and we could barely see the flag from the downpour - we all got completely soaked through to the bone.

Nine-Hole Shootout @ 5:00PM
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, the plates look good. Root canal coming up for me next week, can't wait....NOT!
Thanks Dan! Good luck with the dental work! My wife has some major reconstructive work on her teeth starting in the not too distant future. Even though it's not me, I'm not looking forward to it!
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
38/39 this morning.
Nine-Hole Shootout @ 5:00PM
Norm - Great round, good luck at the shootout!
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Running On Empty

It may take me 4 hours to dry out after that soaking - geeze.
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:58 AM

Norm, Great wall of China

Don't cha wish the ole dryer werked
Old August 18th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Running On Empty

Yes, in fact - I do wish the dryer was working.
Old August 18th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Always room for one more

Hey you guys remember the Barracuda parts car I sold to a friend of a friend for 600 bucks and then I saw it on the internet for 2500? I look at a MOPAR A Body forum and what pops up, but a guy selling a Barracuda parts car for 1500 bucks. Says it just needs to go so that says to me he paid more than that for it. He's in Holiday, FL, which is about 6 hours from here. I kind of feel bad for the guy, pays more than he needed to and hauls it 6 hours away, now has to get rid of it. I'm past that car, don't want it back, don't want any parts, don't even want to think about it. Funny though, how things come 'round. Wonder what his plan for it was. Guy probably told him it was in better shape than it was and when he got it home found otherwise, and is trying to dump it. Who knows.

Not gonna do overtime tomorrow or Friday. Probably go in Saturday if we're working and then pick back up next week. Gonna hit the sack in a minute. Hope everyone had a good Hump Day.

Old August 18th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Well, buzzard *****. They canceled the nine-hole shootout because not enough players showed up. It was a gorgeous evening. Oh well, another member/player and myself played another 18, instead. We both played 18 this morning in different groups, as well. Shot my typical game this evening 40/40.
Old August 18th, 2021, 06:04 PM

Hi guys, well after telling Chris how I "saved" my old Samsung 4 times I couldn't save it again. This last time it kept starting over and over again without getting wet. I tried to dry it out in the hot sun but it was a goner. So off to the Verizon store. We ended up getting 2 new phones and a jet pac hot spot. So I guess we are back in business. Isn't it funny how you miss something you didn't even have a few years ago- internet- when you can't use it? Well all is well here, Tuesday we are taking the Olds on the Old 27 Motor tour. After that we're taking the Impala to Maine for a vacation. Renting a cabin on the ocean for a week. Should be great!
Old August 19th, 2021, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, well after telling Chris how I "saved" my old Samsung 4 times I couldn't save it again. This last time it kept starting over and over again without getting wet. I tried to dry it out in the hot sun but it was a goner. So off to the Verizon store. We ended up getting 2 new phones and a jet pac hot spot. So I guess we are back in business. Isn't it funny how you miss something you didn't even have a few years ago- internet- when you can't use it? Well all is well here, Tuesday we are taking the Olds on the Old 27 Motor tour. After that we're taking the Impala to Maine for a vacation. Renting a cabin on the ocean for a week. Should be great!
Greg - After I had destroyed my old Samsung Galaxy S7 by dropping it out of my pocket on my motorcycle, I started using my wife's old S7 by putting my SIM card in it from the phone I had destroyed. I used her old one for about a year and it started doing exactly what you described above. At any given time, fully charged or not, it would just go into a loop of shutting off/starting up until it quickly wore the battery down to nothing.

You will like Maine, lots of quaint little seaside towns. I've only been there once, for work for a week about 18-years ago. Boeing Corp. had a software development division in of all places, Bangor, ME. One of their top software developers and her husband were really into sailing and had a 40-foot ocean going sailing yacht and offered to take us out on Penobscot Harbor and around Acadia National Park, and it was just beautiful. This lady was close to retiring, and her and her husband were planning on sailing around the world when she retired, and you know what, they actually did! They ended up sending us photos from around the world on their 2-year trip, pretty amazing! We also went and hiked around quite a bit of Acadia National Park, it was really pretty. Hope you have a great time! Also hope the Old's does you proud on the Old 27 Motor Tour!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 19th, 2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old August 19th, 2021, 05:39 AM

Greg, My advice is eat LOTS of lobster rolls
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:26 AM

I see where Joe Galloway passed away [author along with Lgn Hal Moore "we were soldiers"]

IMHO great book and movie
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:39 AM

Jamesbo, I agree, great movie.
Old August 19th, 2021, 09:45 AM

Agree about the movie and the book. Wrote a paper and gave a talk about Hal Moore at a leadership class I taught multiple times at work. Quite a man!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 19th, 2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old August 19th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work was good today, for my first day back. I could get used to a two day schedule. Finished up right after lunch.

Greg both trips should be a great time. Hope you have fun. Here's a story no one will relish. When I was a kid I worked at a Chevy dealer. This woman came in with her Astro van for service and the writer asked if I'd give her a ride home. I said sure. The license plate on her van said MAINE 10. I asked her about it. She said her family had just moved there(to Illinois) from Maine and she joked that she couldn't find her car without her Maine license plate. So her husband got that personal plate for her. The number 10 was arbitrary.

I need to mow but today I'm going to do inside stuff. Too many days in a row Tiger has been solo all afternoon so today I'll hang with him. It is pretty hot out. Almost stifling. First day driving the black truck to work. The AC worked flawlessly! I think I'll look up tires for the car this evening, because the black truck is thirsty.

Okay hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Old August 19th, 2021, 03:06 PM
Running On Empty

I read neither the book nor saw the movie, but I vividly recall Joe as an International UPI correspondent - watching his coverage weekly. RIP
Old August 19th, 2021, 04:21 PM

Greg, My advice is eat LOTS of lobster rolls
Oh yeah, Baby!! I'm guessing we will.
Old August 19th, 2021, 04:23 PM

Congrats on finally getting your plate, Chris!
Old August 19th, 2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Congrats on finally getting your plate, Chris!
Thanks Greg! With what I went through to get it, I'm just glad it never has to be renewed!
Old August 19th, 2021, 06:09 PM

Good evening guys,
Since there has been some discussion on here today about reporter Joe Galloway and his recent passing, and how Joe and Lt. General Harold (Hal) Moore wrote the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young", and were primary consultants on set during the filming of the movie "We Were Soldiers", I thought I'd throw out a few factoids about Hal Moore.

- He was born and grew up in the small town of Bardstown, KY, population of 12,000.

- He was denied admission to West Point on his first try, but got in on his second try after doing additional schooling, and the fact admissions increased as a result of the Korean War. He graduated from West Point very near the bottom of his class academically, but tops in marksmanship.

- As a battlefield commander during the Korean War he gained a reputation for being the first onto the battlefield, and the last off, and never left a battlefield without all his soldiers accounted for, dead or alive. This was also true for his multiple tours in Vietnam.

- He is credited with being the father of the Air Cavalry.

- Despite his low ranking academic status at West Point, he was the 1st in his class to reach the rank of Lt. General.

- After his battlefield heroics were over, he is renowned for his time teaching at West Point. His classes were always given the largest lecture auditoriums and were always full because students that weren't even in his class, and other faculty, would come just to hear him speak. Many of his mantras like, "Three strikes and you're not out, there's always one more thing you can do to change the outcome on the battlefield." are beloved.

- He was a founder and key investor of the Crested Butte Ski Resort in Colorado.

I always wished I could have met this man in person!

Old August 20th, 2021, 02:10 AM

Chris, I read Moore was wounded by a pungy stick and received the purple heart but gave it back for his minor wound

FWIW One of the problems with Air cav [helicopters], Is the maintenance on them is unbelievable 40 hours flying=20 hours maintenance

Norm, I'm really shocked you've missed this great book/movie

Part of it was filmed at Fort Benning and my boy's hand is in a scene firing an M-60

Sgt Plumley was no slouch, He had 3 CIB's and more service stripes than most

Old August 20th, 2021, 05:44 AM

Chris, I read Moore was wounded by a pungy stick and received the purple heart but gave it back for his minor wound

FWIW One of the problems with Air cav [helicopters], Is the maintenance on them is unbelievable 40 hours flying=20 hours maintenance

Norm, I'm really shocked you've missed this great book/movie

Part of it was filmed at Fort Benning and my boy's hand is in a scene firing an M-60

Sgt Plumley was no slouch, He had 3 CIB's and more service stripes than most

James - The Story about the Purple Heart sounds just like the Hal Moore I have read about, likewise about Sgt. Major Plumley. I have been to Ft. Benning once for my step-son's graduation from Basic Training. I have a DoD Common Access Card (CAC) that allows me easy access to just about any U.S. military base. Knowing that part of the movie was filmed there I spent some time cruising around checking it out. Pretty neat that your son is actually in the movie.

One of the real heroes of the battle that the movie did not do justice to was the commanding officer of the Air Cav helicopter unit, retired Lt. Colonel Bruce Crandall. Crandall led 22 separate missions during the 3-day battle to remove the wounded and resupply the troops on the ground, all while taking on heavy fire. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions during the Battle of Ia Drang, and flew over 900 missions during his service in Vietnam.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 20th, 2021 at 05:46 AM.
Old August 20th, 2021, 05:59 AM

Chris, He's hardly a movie star. Only his hand was in the movie and only because he knew how to use an M-60
Agreed. Candrall deserved the Metal of honor
Old August 20th, 2021, 11:50 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work was good, Got out around 1130. Sunny out and hot. Gonna do some mowing over at the new house.

Overtime tomorrow, regular start time is 4am. We shouldn't have to stay too long. I tell you what, I worked two days this week and it still seems like a long week. I really don't want to think about next week, I'll have worked 9 days in a row, unless I work over next weekend as well then it will be more. Sheesh.

Hard rain forecast for this afternoon, so I best get over and get mowed. Happy Friday everyone.