The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2020, 05:03 AM

Well, Beautiful work Norm
I noticed you've got a plug in it. so it so it will only hold 3 shells. When I inherited my grandfather's 20 model 12 with 2 set of barrels [dove and quail] it wasn't plugged [old days] I was a stupid kid and made wooden plugs the wrong length [forgot about the shell in the chamber]

Greg, I don't know the name of the dohicky on the model 94 that hits the trigger when the leaver comes up. But it looks like it has an on/off position
Old November 25th, 2020, 07:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Started work at 5, was out before 8. It's been a full morning already. Work, then I stopped at the post office, then I went to Awful house. In a minute I'm headed back out to get my ears lowered.

Saw the car in just the right light this morning and man is it filthy. I couldn't tell you the last time I washed it. So I might do that this afternoon. Gotta wait until after 4. It's supposed to rain but geez, rain on a clean car is still better than what it is now.

Well have a good day everyone. Got a few things to do around here today.

Old November 25th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Just curious about something in the pic above. There's what looks like a metal insert on the very bottom of the rear of the stock that looks like it might be dove tailed in there. Is that a filler piece that can be removed and replaced with a base for a sling swivel stud?
James - Unfortunately, it is not a removable base for a sling swivel - I believe that would be ideal. Instead, it is nothing more than an "initial" (engraver) plate.

Old November 25th, 2020, 11:03 AM

Norm That was Chris what axed you about that. I knew what it was.

I can't believe how crisp the lettering is. That's usually the give away of a re blue. I would never have known

I'm sure you know you can buy slip on shotgun slings. The only time I ever use them was duck hunting and wading into a blind in the dark

Old November 25th, 2020, 11:09 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, Beautiful work Norm
I noticed you've got a plug in it. so it so it will only hold 3 shells.
The plug can be optionally installed based upon hunting regulations. I did the majority of my hunting in Illinois & Wisconsin - some in Nebraska, Iowa & Minnesota. I'll try to recall the best I can based on Illinois wildlife regulations when I hunted in Illinois. There were (are) & probably still remain select seasons for each type of game animal. In many cases hunting seasons overlapped, to some degree - i.e. dove, quail, partridge, pheasant, rabbit, etc. could be hunted virtually all season during the winter with, IIRC, any size shotgun and/or ammunition. There were either one or several deer seasons - archery, shotgun & rifle. Generally those did not overlap with one another. However, the caveat was based upon the weapon you employed to hunt. I never went deer hunting w/ a rifle - I always went deer hunting w/ a shotgun, or bow & arrow. IIRC, I was only allowed three shells total (I could be wrong about this) - two in the magazine & one in the chamber. These were .12 ga. slugs. So, if you were hunting grouse, mourning dove, etc. during deer season, you were allowed five in the magazine & one in the chamber. If a warden were to approach you better damn well have only the allowable number of shells loaded for the type game you were hunting.

Old November 25th, 2020, 11:22 AM
Running On Empty

Norm That was Chris what axed you about that. I knew what it was.
James - Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks.

The truth is I haven't been hunting in a fair number of years. Boats, planes (piloting) & now golf have eroded my hunting opportunities. I doubt I'll buy another boat & when $100 cheeseburgers turned into $1,000 cheeseburgers I lost an interest in flying. I have no qualms regarding the substitution of golf for the loss of other activities. Oh yeah, I forgot - I did some duck hunting out in Minnesota a couple times.

When I was in my early teenage years, my Dad used to take me to the local Armory twice each week. I became an early NRA member & graduated through the ranks of the NRA Marksmanship rimfire program from Pro-Marksman, Marksman, Marksman 1st Class, Sharpshooter & Expert. I can still recall to this day that smell of rimfire powder in the Armory.
Old November 25th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Running On Empty

39/40 I dropped one in my Handicap to 7. My actual Global Handicap Index is 13. I play to a handicap of 7 from the white tees @ my club. Sometimes I consider it a good thing, other times - Argh! We generally play points - which means I need a total (now) of 29 points (par = 2, birdie = 4, bogey = 1, double = 0, & triple = -1) per round.
Old November 25th, 2020, 11:39 AM

Nice round. There are so many different games [like your points] I can't keep up with them

I forgot your tees colors are the whites' 1 up from the tips or 2

Like you, I'm not hunting any more [except golf ***** ] I used to be nut case about hunting and fishing not any more
Old November 25th, 2020, 11:41 AM
Running On Empty

There are so many different games [like your points] I can't keep up with them.
Isn't that the truth.
Old November 25th, 2020, 03:41 PM

Good evening guys,

Norm - Nice round again!

I don't hunt or fish much anymore either. I haven't been to Colorado since 2006 I think, and I haven't been back to Michigan to deer hunt since my brother passed in 2014. One of my son-in-laws loves to hunt and we've talked about a trip out to Colorado. I'd like to make another trip or two out there before I can't chase those elk up and down those mountains anymore!

Rainy, gray day here, 50ish, not very nice for doing anything outside. Ran my wife to Harbor Freight to get her a small hand held light duty router for the cabinets she's building for her Laundry Room project. Thanksgiving time means Christmas decorations come out of the basement, and she has already decorated the mantle, bannister, kitchen and dining room tables, and my favorite, a small table full of "A Christmas Story " figurines, that includes one of Ralphie's Dad's 1938 Oldsmobile Touring Sedan. She has already baked a huge pumpkin pie for tomorrow too. My only significant contribution was to get the artificial tree out of the basement and set it up, and get the lights on it. Mission accomplished! I'll post a few pics later to get all you guys in the spirit!!!
Old November 25th, 2020, 04:05 PM
Running On Empty

...she has already decorated the mantle, bannister, kitchen and dining room tables, and my favorite, a small table full of "A Christmas Story " figurines, that includes one of Ralphie's Dad's 1938 Oldsmobile Touring Sedan. She has already baked a huge pumpkin pie for tomorrow too. My only significant contribution was to get the artificial tree out of the basement and set it up, and get the lights on it. Mission accomplished!
Whoah - y'all are moving along!
Old November 25th, 2020, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Whoah - y'all are moving along!
No, not quite, She's moving along, I'm just getting dragged along in her draft!

Here's the pics:

Mom made the placemats by hand when we were little kids. We used to make a game out of counting the total number of animals on the placemat..

My brother and I loved watching "A Christmas Story" together. Many years ago he started buying me a figurine each Christmas as a gag gift.

Tellin ya, girl's got skills!

I have much to be thankful for tomorrow, especially these three wonderful women!

My wife Dawn, oldest daughter Taylor, and younger daughter Blaire.

Oh, and by the way, all you guys are pretty great too!. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old November 25th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Running On Empty

Chirs - Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Who puts out the hot chocolate & cookies?
Old November 25th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Chirs - Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Who puts out the hot chocolate & cookies?
That would be my wife, with this substitution.

Old November 25th, 2020, 11:12 PM

Just finished up a pumpkin pie for turkey day. Nice family that you have there Chris. I saw on the news that they erected a giant leg lamp from A Christmas Story, in Oklahoma. We are supposed to get around 7" of snow next Tuesday, but what surprised me when they showed the national map, is that parts of Kentucky, may get hit with 15" of the white stuff. have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old November 26th, 2020, 02:31 AM

I want to wish all my Olds friends a Happy Thanksgiving
Old November 26th, 2020, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Just finished up a pumpkin pie for turkey day. Nice family that you have there Chris. I saw on the news that they erected a giant leg lamp from A Christmas Story, in Oklahoma. We are supposed to get around 7" of snow next Tuesday, but what surprised me when they showed the national map, is that parts of Kentucky, may get hit with 15" of the white stuff. have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Dan - Good for you on the pie!. Thanks for the compliment on the family. The 15" of snow forecast for parts of Kentucky is surprising, must be for the eastern part of the state in the Smokies. We're at about the same latitude here in St. Louis as much of Kentucky, and it is supposed to be unseasonably cool here next Monday and Tuesday with highs only in the mid-30's and lows in the mid-20's, but no snow. I'm glad of that.

Happy Thanksgiving Olds friends!
Old November 26th, 2020, 05:37 AM
Running On Empty

Old November 26th, 2020, 07:21 AM
Always room for one more

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Had a nice time with some friends at the Awful house. Now I'm back home and need to find something to do. Probably chores.

Well have a great day everyone. Eat lots!

Old November 27th, 2020, 12:24 PM

I guess everyone is in a food coma
Old November 27th, 2020, 01:12 PM

I guess everyone is in a food coma
Ya think! Twenty-four lb. turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, cornbread stuffing, deviled eggs, homemade yeast rolls, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Thank goodness we both love Thanksgiving dinner leftovers!

Old November 27th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

Twenty-four lb. turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, cornbread stuffing, deviled eggs, homemade yeast rolls, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.
Well played, Sir; well played.
Old November 27th, 2020, 04:36 PM

Well played, Sir; well played.
And he, he himself, the Grinch, carved the Roast Beast!
Old November 27th, 2020, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

And he, he himself, the Grinch, carved the Roast Beast!
Happy your wife made you feel wanted, Chris.
Old November 27th, 2020, 04:54 PM

Chris, I need to learn ya how to stop making "Cornbread stuffing," and make sum good ole southern Corn bread dressing
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:01 PM

Chris, I need to learn ya how to stop making "Cornbread stuffing," and make sum good ole southern Corn bread dressing
James - That looks YUM!!!
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:11 PM

Dried cornbread [ cause it soaks up the goody better] diced onion, diced celery, chopped cooked chicken thighs, chicken stock, a stick of melted butter a couple of eggs, [ don't put them in a hot mix or you end up with scrambled eggs], let cool them mix and bake voila

In the old south sum folks would top with strawberry preserves cause there weren't any cranberries
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Confession: I am an addict.
I began watching 'Dexter' last week. There are 96 episodes. I have watched sixteen 44' episodes thus far (12 hrs).
The exact same happened to me w/: 'Breaking Bad', 'Orange Is The New Black', 'Shameless', 'House Of Cards' - I get hooked on this stuff like it's candy.
'The Beast' was released today on Netflix - I'm tempted!
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

James - That cornbread dressing you have there looks good - I'd give it whirl; but, my preference for Thanksgiving cornbread is Jalapeno sweetcorn cornbread. My 'stuffing' recipe is nearly identical to your cornbread dressing recipe but rather than dried cornbread I use dried croutons.
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:24 PM

Dried cornbread [ cause it soaks up the goody better] diced onion, diced celery, chopped cooked chicken thighs, chicken stock, a stick of melted butter a couple of eggs, [ don't put them in a hot mix or you end up with scrambled eggs], let cool them mix and bake voila

In the old south sum folks would top with strawberry preserves cause there weren't any cranberries
James - Sounds great, and Is fairly similar to my wife's. Differences are, my wife uses turkey stock by simmering the turkey neck and giblets for hours, and then instead of chicken thighs she cuts up the cooked gizards into tiny pieces. Then the stuffing/dressing is baked inside the turkey.
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:28 PM

Norm, A long time ago we were mixing cow feed with a hammermill, and the old farmer who was in charge said, "Wake up in the mawn'in and eat a piece of white bread and see how long it takes ya to get hungry, the next day eat a piece of cornbread and do the same. "Cornbread stick to your ribs
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:37 PM
Running On Empty

James, I have no problem with cornbread - I love it.
Old November 27th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Running On Empty

Alright, the truth is y'all are boring me to death. Dexter borderlines on soft-****. Guess what I'm going to watch?
Old November 27th, 2020, 06:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach. Left around 4 this morning. It was the biggest one yet. You sure wouldn't know there was a pandemic going on by being there. Lots to look at though oddly nothing really stuck out. Tiger was fine all day at home but you know what, I'm not going to leave him that long again. I worried about him all day.

Gonna hit the sack in a minute, and sleep in for sure tomorrow. This was one long day.

Old November 27th, 2020, 06:59 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Wow. Isn’t that ~7hr drive? You drove 14hrs on Black Friday to Daytona Beach? I’m pulling my hair out just thinking about it. Happy you survived. Never do that again.
Old November 28th, 2020, 02:29 AM

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old November 28th, 2020, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona Beach. Left around 4 this morning. It was the biggest one yet. You sure wouldn't know there was a pandemic going on by being there. Lots to look at though oddly nothing really stuck out. Tiger was fine all day at home but you know what, I'm not going to leave him that long again. I worried about him all day.

Gonna hit the sack in a minute, and sleep in for sure tomorrow. This was one long day.
Mike - You're right, "You sure wouldn't know there was a pandemic going on by being there."
Old November 28th, 2020, 04:38 AM

Mike - Wow. Isn’t that ~7hr drive? You drove 14hrs on Black Friday to Daytona Beach? I’m pulling my hair out just thinking about it. Happy you survived. Never do that again.
X2...not the best idea you've ever had.
Old November 28th, 2020, 04:41 AM
Running On Empty

James - Almost finished w/ the boat house?
Tee time @ 2pm today.
Old November 28th, 2020, 04:49 AM

James - Almost finished w/ the boat house?
Tee time @ 2pm today.

No, My main man wife got sick, his daughter had emergency surgery and his sister in law [that lives with him] fell and broke her hip. He's been watching grandkids and meeting the school bus. hey won't let the kids off the bus now a day w/o someone there. I have no idea what they do with them

Hopefully things will settle down soon and they'll get back on it