The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2020, 11:49 AM

Chris, When I used to hunt [besides shanked golf *****] I liked the pre64 Winchester model 70. Other than military weapons, I've never owned a semi auto rife

Old November 23rd, 2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, When I used to hunt [besides shanked golf *****] I liked the pre64 Winchester model 70. Other than military weapons, I've never owned a semi auto rife
James - The pre64 Winchester bolt actions were great and beautiful rifles. When I was growing up in the lower peninsula of Michigan, you could not use a rifle to deer hunt, you had to use a shotgun with 00 buck or slugs. I did not own a high powered rifle until I started hunting mule deer and elk in Colorado in 1989. I did quite a bit of research on rifles and calibers before purchasing that Remington Model 700 bolt action I posted the pic of. I came close to buying a Browning A-bolt for that first rifle, but there was quite a bit of price difference and I was on a budget. I never regretted buying my Remington, it consistently shoots 1" groups at 100 yds., and the 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent flat shooting cartridge with plenty of knockdown power for game as large as elk. It can be a little punishing to shoot a bunch of rounds on the bench without a "Past" shoulder pad, but as you know, when you're in the field and the adrenaline is flowing you don't even think about, or notice, the recoil.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 12:49 PM

Chris, Is your side by side a model 21? I'd love to have one of them

Last year for his birthday, I gave the guy building my boat house a Winchester pump 22.that I jiust happened to find He had one that got stolen and it broke his heart/ Anyway, he goes on these squirrel hunts where if you kill the most squirrels you win the pool Head shots only count. He often wins .head shot with open sights , The man can drive tacks with tt
Old November 23rd, 2020, 01:10 PM

Mike, This falls under the umbrella of " NONE OF MY BUSINESS" have you put you current residence on the market or are you planning on keeping it
but
Old November 23rd, 2020, 01:18 PM

I love long range target shooting. I qualified for an M1 Garand at a DCM event and scored 89 / 100 at 600 yards, with iron sights.

I built a Ruger 10-22 for long range. The red circle is a 2” target spot. It groups quite well at 100 yards, but gets challenging at 200 yards. With a 40” drop at that distance, the slightest puff of wind will push the bullet around more than a 30-06 at 600 yards. Fun stuff!

Last edited by Fun71; November 23rd, 2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 01:25 PM

Hey guys,
It's been a nice and relaxing day here. I did get the dogs out for one walk which we all enjoyed and I'm going to take them out again to play in the back yard when I'm done with this. I pulled out a bunch of old pictures today to post some pics of "childhood Christmas presents you remember" which showed up as a thread in the "New Posts" grouping. I posted a pic of a Davy Crockett outfit I got and a pedal car firetruck. Check them out if your interested. While looking through the pics I found an old pic of the Plymouth Valiant my dad owned when I was 5. I remember Mike saying something about having an old Valiant and was hoping he, or one of you guys, might be able to tell me what model year it is. We took that car to Yellowstone in 1965 pulling the most simple Coleman pop-up camper that you could buy.

Then I found a pic of my first minibike I thought you guys might get a kick out of. It's a 1968 Keystone 50cc 2-cycle. It's actually running in the pic and you can see the blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. It didn't have a torque converter, it had a hand controlled clutch, making me learn to operate a manual tranny at the age of 9. My love affair with bikes had started, a true cheesy rider!

Old November 23rd, 2020, 01:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long day at work. Didn't have any problems, but we spun 150 wheels. Went right up to the end. We are going to do 150 again tomorrow so on Wednesday we'll be pretty much set.

Chris that is a 62 Valiant. The Road Toad. I have a 60. Here's some gee whiz information. The 60 wasn't a Plymouth. Chrysler was going to have the Valiant be a stand along make, a division of Chrysler Corporation. I don't know why this didn't work out, but in 61 the Valiant was indeed a Plymouth. Also, the 60 Valiant was the first car with an alternator. The 60-61 cars were basically the same car, and the 62 looked the same but a lot of the parts didn't interchange.

Jamesbo I'm not going to list my house until I get it all cleaned out and everything moved. No I don't want to keep it. I want to sever ties with Swan Lake Estates and Henry County just as soon as I possibly can.

So all the gun talk, I'm gonna have to get me a rifle. I'll be living away from town and might have to defend Tiger against some coyotes. What's a good one?

Gas man just left. So now I have heat in the house. Remember I said every year I have six months in the summer to come up with an alternate heat source and I never do? This year I did. Move.

Okay well Happy end of Monday everyone. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old November 23rd, 2020, 02:11 PM

I suspect a semi auto in .22 magnum or .17 HMR would do well as a varmint gun.

Last edited by Fun71; November 23rd, 2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 02:32 PM

Chris, Is your side by side a model 21? I'd love to have one of them
James - I wish mine was a 21. Mine is a Model 22 (1975), made by a company in Spain by the name of Laurona (spelling ???), and imported and sold under the Winchester name. I remember my Dad telling me he purchased it through the Sears & Roebuck catalog. I never thought about looking up any info on Laurona, I'm putting that on my list.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 02:54 PM

Chris, I don't know that model so I had to look it up. .It looks very similar to the old model 24

Trust me the birds don't care

Mike, I'm voting for you to get a Winchester model 12 trench gun [ yes, I have one, I'll give ya] It's a pump so you load it backwards [ 1st in last out] Start with 6's, then 4's them 00 buck, if it [they still keep coming[ a slug
Attached Files
File Type: txt
model 12.txt (42.9 KB, 1 views)
Old November 23rd, 2020, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I love long range target shooting. I qualified for an M1 Garand at a DCM event and scored 89 / 100 at 600 yards, with iron sights.

I built a Ruger 10-22 for long range. The red circle is a 2” target spot. It groups quite well at 100 yards, but gets challenging at 200 yards. With a 40” drop at that distance, the slightest puff of wind will push the bullet around more than a 30-06 at 600 yards. Fun stuff!
Kenneth - That is some really impressive shooting pardner! I only wish I could shoot that well with open sights. It is getting more and more challenging for me with each passing year to shoot with open sifhts. I've always worn glasses for my far vision, but now with my near vision going too, it is very hard to focus on both near (open sights) and far (target) objects at the same time. You can only use open sights when hunting with black powder in Colorado, but luckily you're not taking shots much over a 100-yds with black powder anyway, and I can still shoot accurately out to that distance, at least for now. I have my 7mm Rem Mag sighted in to purposely shoot 2" high at 100-yds. with 175gr. bullets, and is then dead on at 200, and only 8" below sight line at 300-yds., allowing me to aim dead on for any elk shot out to 300-yds. with no hold over. It would be fun to go to an extreme long range site to see what I could do with it, but I've never had the opportunity.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 03:31 PM

I hear ya about the eyesight. I had to start wearing glasses several years ago and began transitioning away from open sights. The .22 has a BSA Sweet 22, 9-18 x 40 scope so I can actually see the holes in the target at 100 yards.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris that is a 62 Valiant. The Road Toad. I have a 60. Here's some gee whiz information. The 60 wasn't a Plymouth. Chrysler was going to have the Valiant be a stand along make, a division of Chrysler Corporation. I don't know why this didn't work out, but in 61 the Valiant was indeed a Plymouth. Also, the 60 Valiant was the first car with an alternator. The 60-61 cars were basically the same car, and the 62 looked the same but a lot of the parts didn't interchange.

Okay well Happy end of Monday everyone. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Mike - Thanks a bunch for the education on the Valiant, exactly what I was hoping you could give me. I don't remember much at all about my Dad's, I was too young. All I can remember on that trip to Yellowstone was he had all kinds of trouble with the carburetor in the high altitude. He kept trying to adjust it, and I'm no mechanic, but there's probably no way he would have been able to get it to run correctly without changing the jets.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 04:07 PM

I recently started target shooting with open sights on my air rifle. I was really amazed at how well I could see the target with the peep-and-post sight that I installed. The sight is very similar to the one on the M1 Garand and other military style rifles. The rear aperture acts similarly to a lens, like the old shoe box peephole camera concept.

This is my 50 foot target. It's a 1" orange spot on an 8x11 sheet of paper. I was really amazed at the accuracy I was able to achieve with the peep sight. I couldn't do this with the original rear blade sight.

Last edited by Fun71; November 23rd, 2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 04:10 PM

Hmm varmint guns of course 17 HMR first comes to mind BUT overlooked as usual is the 410, perhaps not the best for long distance work but perfectly capable at shorter distance, versatile consider a 410 first shot, bird shot ( get out ) second shot, buck (serious get out ) third shot slug (sorry critter your going to meet your maker ) shots can be loaded in that order or any order you choose or all slugs or buck, with a muzzle velocity of approx 1800 fps for slugs should get the job done, skilled hunters take deer with 410 all the time. not saying its the best choice but damn its versatile, and the 410 recoil easy on mama or jr's shoulder if they have to use it !! you could be dispatching Mr. coyote one night and bird hunting the next day all with one gun !! I have a Henry 410 lever action I take camping with me all the time and I am content its all I need.
plus I gotta say if you just have the urge to go out and take your frustrations out on a watermelon, 2 liter soda bottle or a pumpkin that 410's a hoot !!
Old November 23rd, 2020, 04:19 PM

Chris, I don't know that model so I had to look it up. .It looks very similar to the old model 24

Trust me the birds don't care

Mike, I'm voting for you to get a Winchester model 12 trench gun [ yes, I have one, I'll give ya] It's a pump so you load it backwards [ 1st in last out] Start with 6's, then 4's them 00 buck, if it [they still keep coming[ a slug
James - The birds might not care, but I can tell you I was a little disappointed when I found out it wasn't a "real" Winchester. It was the first gun that was really mine. I started hunting with an old Iver Johnson single shot 16 gauge my Dad let me use. He told me he let me use that one because it was light and easier to carry, I think it was because he didn't trust me with more than one round!

I think we should start Mike out with my home defense weapon of choice, the Mossberg 500A. With a legal 18&1/2-inch barrel and chambered for 2&3/4 or 3" magnums it will stop an elephant or a robber jacked up on PCP. It would do well on coyotes too if Tiger ran into a gang! Unfortunately it does not come equipped with a bayonet .

Old November 23rd, 2020, 04:58 PM
Always room for one more

Well thanks guys for the recommendations on rifles. I can tell you it's been a good 40 years since I've shot a rifle. My Dad used to have a 22 rifle that was loads of fun on vacation. He also had this big thing he called a riot gun. One of those big slide bolt things that kicked like a mother. My Mom shot it one time and wasn't holding it tight against her body. It about dislocated her shoulder and she had a bruise probably the size of a large pizza on her side for days. Probably been that long since I've shot pistol. Geez.

Chris if I were a betting man I'd say your dad had trouble with the carb on the Valiant even after you got home. If you fiddle with the factory adjustment you'll have a heck of a time getting it back. I've never driven a carbureted car in the mountains, but I would guess the best thing would be to leave it be and take it easy. I'd guess that car was a 6 cylinder automatic. Not a race-winner.

Well I think I'll hit the sack. Tiger is outside running around in the dark and I'm going to get ready for bed. When he comes in it will be lights out for the evening.

Old November 23rd, 2020, 05:20 PM

I recently started target shooting with open sights on my air rifle. I was really amazed at how well I could see the target with the peep-and-post sight that I installed. The sight is very similar to the one on the M1 Garand and other military style rifles. The rear aperture acts similarly to a lens, like the old shoe box peephole camera concept.

This is my 50 foot target. It's a 1" orange spot on an 8x11 sheet of paper. I was really amazed at the accuracy I was able to achieve with the peep sight. I couldn't do this with the original rear blade sight.
Kenneth - I've never looked into alternative sights for my blackpowder rifles. My .50 cal Knight has fiber optic front and rear sights that I can see much better than the plain steel ones on the .54 cal Thompson I posted the pic of. After reading your post above and looking at your pics I did some research on peep sights. The description of why they work well makes sense from a physics perspective. With the rear peep your eye is not trying to micro focus on more than one focal plane. I'm going to look into what's out there for my Thompson. Thanks for the idea!
Old November 23rd, 2020, 05:55 PM

Mine is a Williams 5D. They are abailable for a lot of applications. Have a look at their web site to see if there’s one for yours.

https://williamsgunsight.com/
Old November 23rd, 2020, 11:20 PM

When I was growing up in the lower peninsula of Michigan, you could not use a rifle to deer hunt, you had to use a shotgun with 00 buck or slugs.
Chris, what years was that? As far as I know rifle hunting in Michigan's lower peninsula was allowed north of M-46, and with a shotgun, south of M-46. My dad hunted quite a bit around Rudy Creek, south and a little west of Baldwin from the late 60's through the 80's with a Marlin 30.06.
Old November 24th, 2020, 01:24 AM

Mike, I'm voting for you to get a Winchester model 12 trench gun [ yes, I have one, I'll give ya] It's a pump so you load it backwards [ 1st in last out] Start with 6's, then 4's them 00 buck, if it [they still keep coming[ a slug[/QUOTE]

This is bass ackwards

It's last in 1st out
Old November 24th, 2020, 03:44 AM
Running On Empty

This is bass ackwards

It's last in 1st out[/QUOTE]

About 10 years ago I broke down & reblued my Dad's 1956 J.C. Higgins Model 20 .12ga pump. This model was designed by one of the designers who used to work for Winchester - very similar to the Winchester Model 12. It is FILO, five in the magazine & one in the chamber. You can actually rapid fire this shotgun by holding back on the trigger & pumping the action. It is one of the smoothest action shotguns I have ever fired. This particular shotgun offered a variety of chokes you could purchase. I have the full choke installed in this picture. You screw in the choke from the end of the barrel. It was a fun project for me one winter.

Old November 24th, 2020, 04:08 AM

Ok, Serious question for you gun nuts.

While in Iraq and Afghanistan my boy [now retired coronel] once a month would empty out ever magazine [clip] even if he hadn't used them at the range. He claims it makes sure you spring doesn't get weak and the weapon malfunction when you need i. I say BS you get free ammo and that todays good spring, you can eave them loaded for years

Whatcha think?
Old November 24th, 2020, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, what years was that? As far as I know rifle hunting in Michigan's lower peninsula was allowed north of M-46, and with a shotgun, south of M-46. My dad hunted quite a bit around Rudy Creek, south and a little west of Baldwin from the late 60's through the 80's with a Marlin 30.06.
Dan - I did most of my hunting up there in the mid-70's and early-80's when I was still in my teens and early-20's, and still living at home. You are absolutely correct. I was remembering incorrectly when I stated only shotguns were allowed in the LP. I had forgotten that it was only the lower half ot the LP where that restriction is in effect. Growing up around Battle Creek we had access to 1000's of acres of good private land we hunted, so no need to venture north of M-46. Thanks for refreshing my tired old memory.
Old November 24th, 2020, 04:48 AM

While in Iraq and Afghanistan my boy [now retired coronel] once a month would empty out ever magazine [clip] even if he hadn't used them at the range. He claims it makes sure you spring doesn't get week and the weapon malfunction when you need i. I say BS you get free ammo and that todays good spring, you can eave them loaded for years

Whatcha think?
James - It sounds like you're talking about the spring in the magazine or detachable clip. I was always taught to empty a magazine or detachable clip before storage, both for safety and to avoid "spring memory". Spring memory was described to me as a spring wanting to stay in the geometry of the state in which it is stored, especially if compressed for a long time. I think what your son told you is absolutely true. I also believe that same thing about springs in firing mechanisms. I always dry fire my weapons to release the tension on the firing pin spring before putting them up for a long time. Contrary to myth, it does not hurt a weapon to dry fire it, it is actually better for it if it is going into storage.
Old November 24th, 2020, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
This is bass ackwards

It's last in 1st out
About 10 years ago I broke down & reblued my Dad's 1956 J.C. Higgins Model 20 .12ga pump. This model was designed by one of the designers who used to work for Winchester - very similar to the Winchester Model 12. It is FILO, five in the magazine & one in the chamber. You can actually rapid fire this shotgun by holding back on the trigger & pumping the action. It is one of the smoothest action shotguns I have ever fired. This particular shotgun offered a variety of chokes you could purchase. I have the full choke installed in this picture. You screw in the choke from the end of the barrel. It was a fun project for me one winter.

[/QUOTE]
Norm - Nice bluing job! Looks really nice.
Old November 24th, 2020, 05:54 AM

Nice job Norm, did you do it yourself?
Old November 24th, 2020, 06:36 AM

While in Iraq and Afghanistan my boy [now retired coronel] once a month would empty out ever magazine [clip] even if he hadn't used them at the range. He claims it makes sure you spring doesn't get week and the weapon malfunction when you need i. I say BS you get free ammo and that todays good spring, you can eave them loaded for years

Whatcha think?
I do not doubt that a spring will eventually lose some of its "spring" if left in a compressed state for an extended period of time, but how long would that actually take? I do not know the answer, but I suspect it would be quite a while.
Old November 24th, 2020, 07:22 AM

I do not doubt that a spring will eventually lose some of its "spring" if left in a compressed state for an extended period of time, but how long would that actually take? I do not know the answer, but I suspect it would be quite a while.
Kenneth - I've had some real experience with an ex-father in law and a couple of hunting buddies who owned Remington 7400 semi-autos. All these guys at one point experienced jamming issues in clean, well cared for guns, that had no signs of excessive wear. When they had me look at their rifles, after looking at the cycling mechanism, the next question I asked them was if they regulary stored their clips with cartridges in them and each told me they did. I told them to get a new clip and give it a try . . . what do you know, no more jams. I don't know how long it takes for it to become a problem, but these experiences convinced me that "spring memory" is a real thing and can cause issues in the feed of semi-autos.
Old November 24th, 2020, 08:49 AM

Greg, did you order this snow?
Old November 24th, 2020, 01:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did good at work today. Out around 1. Went to the credit union and got a check for my earnest money and took it to the attorney's office. Got more than irritated at the lender person who called and wanted about 20 things, all yesterday. The last time I needed a lender they wanted all this and "I can't meet that time frame(yesterday)" was not acceptable to them. They got fired. These people aren't doing much better.

Jamesbo, first in last out is the same as last in first out. I'm thinking I need to get something and also four years worth of ammo sooner rather than later. Norm that gun looks nice. How do you get it to turn blue and does it fire better? I want to run out into the yard after coyotes and shoot like The Rifleman.

Pretty out, a little cool. Rain is supposed to come tomorrow but I don't see it. I need to gather some more firewood for the can on the back porch. Nice to have a little heat in the house this morning.

Okay good evening to you all.

Old November 24th, 2020, 01:49 PM

Dan, I did not order it! It snowed like crazy for about 15 minutes, got about 2"- really slick packy stuff. That old rusty F250 I bought is terrible in it! Mike we are in the process of refinancing our house. It is maddening! Question after question, but just shrug it off and continue on, eventually it will be completed.
Old November 24th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo, first in last out is the same as last in first out. I
Yeah Mike, It took me a while dyslexia
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Nothing to it Mike, just weld a loop leaver on a 94 Winchester

Old November 24th, 2020, 07:24 PM
Running On Empty

James/Chris - Thanks. Yes, I did the bluing myself.

Dyslexia: Sexdaily or Dailysex?
Old November 24th, 2020, 10:39 PM

Dyslexia: Sexdaily or Dailysex?
Good one Norm. Greg, we got about 3", unfortunately I saw a couple of cars in the trees along U.S. 31 on the way to work. It was slushy and slick.
Old November 25th, 2020, 02:52 AM

James/Chris - Thanks. Yes, I did the bluing myself.?
That's the best home bluing job I've ever seen, A while back you said you were a good cleaner. You may be the best in the world to get that kind of results Didyou use a kit or make the solution yourself. Hot or cold? How is the relief on the writing? [serial numbers etc] Did it fill in very much?

Really Beautiful job
Old November 25th, 2020, 04:13 AM

Watched a old Rifleman rerun yesterday. Somehow a bad guy got a hold of Chuck Connors rifle. It went off on him and he said he didn't touch the trigger. Now I see how it worked like that pic you posted, James. That's a pretty good old show actually.... Snow is still on ground this morning, I'm guessing it won't last long. I'm going to have to go over to my friends (the one who fell) this morning and clear his drive and walk if it stays. He is doing really well, he goes outside and walks along with his walker. He's a tough 68 year old! See ya guys!
Old November 25th, 2020, 04:15 AM
Running On Empty

That's the best home bluing job I've ever seen, A while back you said you were a good cleaner. You may be the best in the world to get that kind of results Didyou use a kit or make the solution yourself. Hot or cold? How is the relief on the writing? [serial numbers etc] Did it fill in very much?
Really Beautiful job
James - Thanks. I was quite meticulous about the process & I was in no hurry w/ no time constraints. As always, it was the prep work which required 99% of the work effort. I believe I used around a 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper for heavy areas, and lots of emery cloth with constant compressed air blasting to remove all dust and several washings of all parts prior to the bluing process. I purchased all the materials from Brownell's as I recall. It was a cold bluing, hot bluing appeared out of my league and wrought with opportunities for me making errors which was the reason I went cold bluing. The fact I was restoring a 50 year old shotgun to a much better condition than its current state provided enough incentive for me to justify cold vs. hot - something was better than nothing. It was a modest modified cold bluing where I oxidized (browned) the barrel prior to cold bluing to increase rust resistance under the cold bluing. The cold bluing took a long time to get the final finish - lots of patience. I'll try to get a picture of some areas of detail regarding numbers and/or relief. I was extremely careful regarding areas of writing. The barrel was the easiest. I had to do several parts several times - drove me nuts.

Old November 25th, 2020, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Watched a old Rifleman rerun yesterday. Somehow a bad guy got a hold of Chuck Connors rifle. It went off on him and he said he didn't touch the trigger. Now I see how it worked like that pic you posted, James. That's a pretty good old show actually.... Snow is still on ground this morning, I'm guessing it won't last long. I'm going to have to go over to my friends (the one who fell) this morning and clear his drive and walk if it stays. He is doing really well, he goes outside and walks along with his walker. He's a tough 68 year old! See ya guys!
Greg - Really nice to hear your buddy is doing well! The Rifleman was a good show, I loved it as a young boy. Another Chuck Connors oldy but goody was "Branded". Another favorite of mine was "Sea Hunt" with Lloyd Bridges.

As much as I've always missed the bulk of my family still being up there 500-miles away, I've never missed the early onset of winter, the snow, and the late coming spring. I think folks complain about the weather wherever they live, around here all the locals complain about the heat and humidity in July and August. I just smile at them and say I'll take this any day over +4-months of winter and the ice & snow. I used to love sledding, skating, and snowmobiling when I was young, now, not so much.
Old November 25th, 2020, 04:53 AM

James - Thanks. I was quite meticulous about the process & I was in no hurry w/ no time constraints. As always, it was the prep work which required 99% of the work effort. I believe I used around a 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper for heavy areas, and lots of emery cloth with constant compressed air blasting to remove all dust and several washings of all parts prior to the bluing process. I purchased all the materials from Brownell's as I recall. It was a cold bluing, hot bluing appeared out of my league and wrought with opportunities for me making errors which was the reason I went cold bluing. The fact I was restoring a 50 year old shotgun to a much better condition than its current state provided enough incentive for me to justify cold vs. hot - something was better than nothing. It was a modest modified cold bluing where I oxidized (browned) the barrel prior to cold bluing to increase rust resistance under the cold bluing. The cold bluing took a long time to get the final finish - lots of patience. I'll try to get a picture of some areas of detail regarding numbers and/or relief. I was extremely careful regarding areas of writing. The barrel was the easiest. I had to do several parts several times - drove me nuts.

Norm - Just curious about something in the pic above. There's what looks like a metal insert on the very bottom of the rear of the stock that looks like it might be dove tailed in there. Is that a filler piece that can be removed and replaced with a base for a sling swivel stud?