The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Running On Empty

Lady gets a Front End job!

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
yep Dat be Rob

Check out his front end thread

[note to self] never phuque around with computer geeks [they make ya look stupid]
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...end-job-33383/
Old August 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM

de nada
Old August 8th, 2019, 03:34 PM

Morning all, it's been too long since I was on here. Time flies when you're not paying attention.
About the same here. We have to move at the end of September though which will be fun. Owners want their house back and were going to take us to court and claim hardship to get our lease terminated so instead we did a deal and got 5 weeks free rent to be out in time.
Grandad's estate ongoing.
We will be visiting the West Coast for 3 weeks in October starting in San Francisco and ending up in Seattle which will be a nice change from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The only downside will be the exchange rate

I wish I had done the same Jim and gotten a second opinion a couple years ago. Dentist #1 ended up pulling a perfectly healthy tooth before dentist #2 found the one behind was the issue so I lost 2 instead of one. I couldn't afford to get a root canal which was the suggested fix since they go for around 5K here and I haven't jumped on the private health bandwagon over here since we have free healthcare.

Looks like you're gonna have a fun job replacing all those bushings Norm. From what I remember polyurethane bushings provide better handling over rubber ones and they do last longer.

I'll try and get on more often

Take care all, Adrian
Old August 9th, 2019, 04:50 AM

Norm, I rebuilt the entire front suspension on my Cutlass back in 95 or so. Used the polygraphite bushings and have regretted it since. They are squeaky. I installed them with the grease they supply but they squeak like crazy. Even when you are barely moving and you hit the brakes which makes the control arms move they squawk. I since then rebuilt the front end on the 70 Vista with regular rubber bushings- no noise. I would recommend the factory style as long as you use high quality parts such as Moog. Yeah, Rob used to be real active on this site. He is one of many who have vanished.....
Old August 9th, 2019, 04:55 AM

mawn'in

Glad ta see ya Aiden

Norm, Rob's thread has sum old timers on it Blue, Pat and Scott

Hope it helps

Exigency de jour. I have a friend whose loosing a parent in a different state. I'd like to give sum advice and save him sum money but at the same time I don't wanta but into what is really "None of my business." FWIW, I reach out once, "If"anyone wants help, I'm happy to give it other wise, I'm out

Whatcha think?

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 9th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Jamesbo, I think that you are ok with that mindset. Letting them know that you are concerned, and available if needed.
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad Friday, sat around about an hour before we left. Not sure what the point of that was. Decided it was too late for the Awful house. Might go there for dinner since I don't have any food in the house. I've been working so much lately I haven't been to the store.

Turned a corner on the way home and encountered some humanoid-types in a Lincoln Expedition barely moving. Silly me, came up behind them and they all flipped me the bird out the windows and tried going even slower. Then revved the engine in neutral, all the while waggling their fingers at me. I tried to get around, suddenly they found a burst of speed and blocked me. So I turned, and they followed me. This is why I don't own a gun. I would have stopped with them behind me and pointed it right at the windshield. Anyway they were now behind me with their phones out, as if to be recording me. Even if they were, they recorded a guy in a car driving completely normally. I wondered what would happen when I had to stop at the red light. Exactly nothing. The light changed and they turned off. The usual upstanding citizens of the area.

So this afternoon I'm going over to get the Deuce and fuel it up and get it ready to go to work tomorrow. I'm gonna have to leave a little early, because it only goes 50 on the expressway. Of course I don't have to stop for anything, just run over whatever is in front of me. Might dig around at the shop and find a couple other things to do.

Okay without Awful house I'm hungry. I'll grab a bite and go do something. Beautiful here. About 90* and sunny.
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Jamesbo, I think that you are ok with that mindset. Letting them know that you are concerned, and available if needed.
Thanks, My struggle is to not let others make the mistakes I made with my own family when I didn't know $hit
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:36 AM

Evening.

Thought to drop few words. Been busy with our youngest, was a girl as supposed.
Changed work ( again) back to drive Cold Milling Machine, CMM. Got too good offer to pass, and 4-day week whenever its possible. Couldnt resist that offer.

Hows everyone else? Ill go back to try sleep our older one, have a day all.
Old August 9th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Jouni, Everyone is fine cept Allan ghosted for sum reason

Mike, Get a gun or I'll give ya a few
Speaking of shorting. Here's a classic
https://www.google.com/search?q=boo+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old August 9th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

I built this (below) gate last year in the spring. All boards are rough cedar & all bracing boards are 1/2 lap cut. I applied x3 coats of Cabot Natural Australian Timber Oil to one side and x1 coat to the other side (the side facing my property). I'm applying x3 more coats to my side one x1 additional coat to the other side. It's taking ~1 week to finish both swinging gates & it's hotter than molasses outdoors but it's drying wonderfully. It isn't interfering w/ my golf game. I try to knock out a couple hours before tee-time and a couple more hours after golf. It took longer to build the gate pillars & foundations than to build the gates.

Mike - glad you don't own a weapon. I own several.

I'm looking forward to putting together a parts list for my winter project but I'm in no hurry. I believe I'll remove all the parts first, then put the order together.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 9th, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old August 9th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Running On Empty

I forgot I uploaded a video to YouTube last year when I finished that gate.

Old August 9th, 2019, 08:47 PM

Mike, maybe you will run into the humanoids with the deuce, and ya know, nudge them a little. Jouni, congrats on the birth of your girl. Dang Norm, you have some talent. Looks nice. Off to the Del Shannon memorial car tomorrow, my buddy won't be taking his '68 442. he took the carb apart to diagnose it, and all of the gaskets disintegrated. Internal metal parts were corroded. I mentioned a couple of years back that he should add an ethanol treatment to his gas to keep this from happening. I mentioned it again last week when he said that the car wasn't responding as it should. His answer was "no". Guess who is going to order a ethanol compatible rebuild kit? Yep. He's an engineer for Mahle, ya think that he would know better.
Old August 10th, 2019, 05:02 AM

Nice work Norm BUT, I would of run the diagonal supports from top hinge side to bottom opening side
Old August 10th, 2019, 05:17 AM

Nice fence, Norm.
--Dan, I have had problems with ethanol also. I do use it in the Cutlass but maybe I shouldn't. I always use regular ethanol gas in my regular drivers, lawn mowers quads and snowmobiles, I use Rec 90 ( ethanol free 90 octane gasoline) in the stuff that sits a good while or takes a long time to use a tank of gas (pontoon boat, generator, pressure washer,etc) I bought a new pontoon boat in 2003 that the salesman talked me into a 50 HP Mercury 4stroke fuel injected outboard motor. It was about $1600. more that a 50 HP 2 stroke. I love the engine except for when it started running poorly when it was about 4-5 years old - not long out of warrantee - of course.. I had to take it out of the water and back to the dealer. It needed a $700. repair replacing the low and high pressure fuel pumps. I was not happy- The dealer and Mercury were blaming it on the ethanol. What else could I have used? The Rec 90 gasoline wasn't available then. So I paid it. They told me to only use Premium Ethanol which I did until the recreational fuel became available. Another thing I really notice about the newer fuels is how they tend to boil off and vapor lock. Back in the day there were additives to help prevent that but now 99.9% of vehicles are fuel injected and the gas is under pressure until it goes into the intake so no vapor lock. If I shut the Olds off and restart it in a couple of hours it will crank and crank until gas fills the bowl again, sort of embarrassing as people think a car should start instantly like the new ones do.
--My buddy and his family came up and he brought his Polaris General. It is a huge side by side ORV. He told me it cost $21,000! It's about the size of a small car and seats 4. Wife and I took our quads and the family went in the General. Went over to Leota for lunch and then rode for 50 miles on the state ORV trails. Great time. Then we took a boat ride and his kids got to fish- they had never done that before!
They caught a few little fish and really were excited. Had a campfire at night- a great time. Where is Allan? See ya!
Old August 10th, 2019, 06:10 AM

Greg

When I bought Das Boat with a 90 Honda, the mechanic told me, " I'll guarantee you the carbs will foul and it won't start if you don't drain all 4 carbs every winter"
Old August 10th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Running On Empty

Nice work Norm BUT, I would of run the diagonal supports from top hinge side to bottom opening side
James - I think I could have gone either way w/ the diagonal supports to be honest, since I created 1/2 lap joints for all of the support braces, I believe I might not have even needed any diagonal braces. But, the gate is 14' across - each swinging gate is 7' wide - so, that's a pretty hefty span.
Old August 10th, 2019, 06:36 AM

Norm I agree, ya got enough braces boxed in that it shouldn't make any difference
Old August 10th, 2019, 06:39 AM
Running On Empty

That's funny stuff!
Old August 10th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Jouni, Everyone is fine cept Allan ghosted for sum reason

Mike, Get a gun or I'll give ya a few
Speaking of shorting. Here's a classic
https://www.google.com/search?q=boo+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Ookkay. Ill try to participate now atleast once a week, when i now have more free time. I got so high salary-raise now that i literally earn same money at 4 days than i did on last job at 5 days; and thats why im only doing 4 days. Whenever its possible.

Greg Rogers - I think theres more to it than ethanol. Some additivies either missing, or being added. Ive used 10% ethanol gasoline as long as i remember on chainsaws, lawnmovers, you name it, and never a single problem, no starting problems- and my chainsaw may sit half-a-year between start-ups, full of fuel and no "gasoline saving additives for storage".
Ive found that strange due to fact ive read so many complaints about ethanol fuels ruining the day- but mostly on US sites. Thats what have got me thinking its not the ethanol in it itself; its something about the blend

Vintage Chief - Nice gate- and just the right colour

Have a evening all- i just came from sauna, sipping some quality whiskey for now.

Last edited by Inline; August 10th, 2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old August 10th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The Deuce at work was a success. I got up a little early, had everything planned out, left a few minutes before 3. Got to work at 335 and was the only one there. Got a good spot, waited for a good cool down, then went in. There's this little Vietnamese guy at work and everyone said it was his truck. Lots of people had a look when we left for the day. It was fun driving it in, I might do it again sometime.

So work, seemed to go slow but we finished up before 11 and hit the road. I took the truck over to the shop and got the black truck. No place for a giant at the Awful house during the day. I wonder if my neighbor heard me leaving out this morning. It was beautiful all day until I left the Awful house, then the skies opened up. So inside stuff this afternoon.

Took the same route home as yesterday, but no humanoids. I don't think I'd have even slowed down.

Norm that's a nice looking gate. Are you going to put a fence up so the gate has a purpose?

Jamesbo just give your friend the line about Dignity Funeral Homes. They don't even change the wallpaper.

Okay gonna do something. Hope everyone is ready for a good weekend.
Old August 10th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Mike, Burred a lady today from Tampa,[ashes] She was retired from the big D they put the red and blue logo on her marker/
Not sure you;d want one but I can send cha a pic
Old August 10th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

Mike- The gate already serves a purpose. The home I own was built 1931. The x6 bay automotive service garage next door to me was owned by the original owners of my home (45+ years). The concrete driveway between me and the service garage used to provide more functionality between the two pieces of property when they were owned by the same owner. However, over time and since they sold (lease) the garage to new owners of the garage, I don't particularly care for customers and some employees having the opportunity to view my daily activities - not to mention some customers think my circular driveway serves as either an egress or ingress to the service garage. Additionally, there may be "some" opportunity for me to build additional fencing along my property line but I'll see how it goes - I'm not necessarily "all-in" on providing complete enclosure - I have a significant amount of shrubs I have planted on the periphery of my property which effectively operates as fencing.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

41/42
A fellow golfer had a hole-in-one on #2 today. I stayed a little longer in the lounge - drinks seem to taste much better when someone else is buying.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I went back and looked at your video again. I can see how you'd have an abundance of people thinking they should be able to drive past your front door, only because it's convenient for them. You could always put up a toll booth.

Sure Jamesbo I'd like to see that. She must have been rather pro-company. Or related to the Woolman's.

Didn't rain too long, then the sun came out. I've been doing a little house cleaning. A friend of mine is coming to stay for a few days next week. Boy look at me, company two months in a row. I must be getting popular.

Okay have a good evening everyone.
Old August 10th, 2019, 05:05 PM

Greg, I have used the rec. gas but it's expensive. When I had my '71 Supreme, I used an ethanol treatment like Sta-Bil, or Lucas. That was 8+ years ago, and if I had an older vehicle (pre 1998) I would still use it. Jouni, maybe it's how it's formulated in your neck of the woods, but it has been a problem over here for quite awhile. Great sign Jamesbo. I may have to borrow it.
Old August 11th, 2019, 03:39 AM

mawn'in

Got in 9 yesterday 44 [Norm you're beating me like a rented mule] before the funeral.

We got another "new" one coming Wednesday.
https://inhabitat.com/entrepreneur-s...1XETtRxDRDyygs

As far as I'm concerned, the jury [ my jury at least] is still out on this one

There are sum 'Green" new ideas that jes don't make sense

I've sold a few of these https://www.instagram.com/livingurn/ but I've determined it's a waste of money. Why not just put the ashes in a hole and plant a tree

Sorry to be so morbid

Anywho, Gonna try to get in a new holes 1st light

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 11th, 2019, 05:14 AM

Jouni, the problem with ethanol and the old stuff is it tends to rot the older rubber hoses, etc. It really attacks the hose bulbs that most outboard motors use. That was what had happened to my fuel injected Mercury, I guess. But that was my point- the boat and motor were only 4-5 years old, ah well water under the bridge, I guess.
-- Mike. Is your deuce the duck? That must have been neat driving that to work!! Good times! I love it. Put a pic of it up.
Old August 11th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Running On Empty

James- Wow, those are both two interesting products. When you say you have another "new" one coming Wednesday, do you mean you have a deceased being buried in a mushroom suit on Wednesday? Pretty wild stuff.
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James- Wow, those are both two interesting products. When you say you have another "new" one coming Wednesday, do you mean you have a deceased being buried in a mushroom suit on Wednesday? Pretty wild stuff.

Yes, That's a 1st [ and we've had alot lof different 1st]
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
-- Mike. Is your deuce the duck? That must have been neat driving that to work!! Good times! I love it. Put a pic of it up.
Nope Mike has a Deuce and a half and a DUKW, He May have a Deuce and a quarter [Electra 225] It's kind of hard to keep up with his fleet
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:11 AM
Running On Empty

I imagine they're placed into the hole with no coffin of any type then correct? And, if they're placed into an Earthen hole in a coffin I would suspect the coffin has to be made entirely of untreated wood. Personally, I think I'd make a much better meal for sea animals if I were tossed overboard about 500 miles offshore @ sea than several hundred pounds of cruise liner non-degradable refuse. I'd enjoy getting passed through the digestive system of a Great White shark. Yeah baby, that'd be a wild ride.
Old August 11th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Norm, Our rules and regs [registered with the state] say. No vaults, no embalming and only biodegradable caskets [or shrouds]

Norm, I had a good friend who decided to be chum off Bimini
Old August 11th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and sneakily hot. It feels nice but Accuweather says it's over 80. So Tiger got the AC on while I was in the Awful house.

Greg actually both the M35 and the DUKW are deuce and a halfs. They are both 2 1/2 ton vehicles. That means they can carry 2 1/2 tons off road. On pavement they can do twice that, though I'm not sure the anemic gasoline 6 cylinder in the DUKW is a fan of that rule. Though I'm sure they've done it. It was the M35 I had at work.

That actor dude who died last year was buried in a mushroom suit. I scanned through that link and saw the woman wearing one. What if she forgot to take it off and then went to bed? Why do you get a choice in colors?

Jamesbo no Buicks in the fleet. Perhaps I should get one? I wouldn't mind a Luxus convertible, with the fiberglass parade boots, or maybe one of them long Roadmasters with the walrus grille.

Lots of little things to think about today. If I get any of them done so much the better. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old August 11th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

41/41
Old August 11th, 2019, 10:36 PM

Car show pics. I really like the '58 Roadmaster. Not sure if you guys know this, but if you click on any pic, it will enlarge it, and there will be arrows on either side to go to the next pic. https://photos.app.goo.gl/kk1tLuE8BBEu3Dhj8

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 11th, 2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old August 12th, 2019, 10:16 AM

What kilt JesseJames X2
Old August 12th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo I was never good at riddles. I'll have to look up Jesse James and see how he died. I'm guessing a gun fight.

Slow day at work. And it's going to be a slow week. There are three slow guys on the robots and one who just made employee(from contractor) so he's distracted. Can't get fired as easily as when you're a contractor so he screws around more. I don't care, I get paid the same. I blew off overtime this morning. I didn't sleep worth a tinker's patootie last night so stuck around a little extra.

Gonna take the black truck over to the shop and pick up my Mom's car to go have it registered. Then I'll just stay out and have a bite, and then go to Summit.

The neighbor's kid and family have been staying next door for better than a month. They moved back from Savannah for their jobs and wanted to research school districts for their daughter. Of course they lived here three years ago, not sure why they didn't know anything about them. Anyway, they have an obnoxious dog and I hadn't seen their cars here for a couple days, so I thought they were gone. But the dog is still here so they're not gone completely. School's in so I hope they found something. Can't have the little girl be truant.

Gotta skedaddle. The tag place closes at I think 430 and I still have to go have an emission test. Years ago Florida had a test and then it was ruled unconstitutional. I guess we have a different constitution up here.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 12th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Mike,

When ya throw a 44 at dice, ya say "What killed Jesse James"

Sooooooooooooo, I shot a 44 on the front 9 and a 44 on the back 9

Get it? got it? Good
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

I thought James may have been referencing my 41/41 game of golf. But, the fact is, Jesse James was shot twice in the back w/ a .45 caliber weapon (I think the guys name was Ford). John Wesley Adams carried a .41 caliber weapon, and he shot & killed an A$$LOAD of people, but he never shot Jesse James. And, I've never heard of a dice throw of 44 and someone say "What killed Jesse James". I'll need to look that one up.