The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2019, 04:01 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I'm curious why you have the Verizon JetPack. I set up network management & monitoring s/w for many of the largest networks in the world - during my last career position (13+ yrs). You don't appear to be overly enthused about your JetPack service, so I'll ask you a couple questions and maybe assist you. The network management & monitoring s/w I set up exists on the backbone of networks. IOW, the inside of the business/corporate network. There are some nuances in your comments which leads me to believe whether the JetPack service is worth your money.

(1) Generally speaking, the JetPack (type) devices enhance the consumer end-user experience in mostly remote areas. And by remote, I mean primarily seriously remote areas (wilderness campgrounds, RV parks, etc.). Even then, they remain at the mercy of cellular towers. Is this something you require/need over what is normally provided via your cellular telephone? This can be expensive, slow and invasive (in terms of security).
(2) If you don't have a cellular telephone, I guess I could see where the JetPack might assist you, but even then (assuming you have a cellular telephone) why do you need a JetPack service when you can easily use your telephone.
(3) If you have a portable (laptop, tablet, etc.) computer, and you're using your JetPack w/ your portable computer, is there really a need for you to use your laptop computer over your telephone? Your cellular phone (assuming it's a SmartPhone, Apple, Android, etc.) connects to the Internet directly using your cell phone carrier. Why are you using a JetPack to negotiate an Internet connection? That's costing you some money every time you connect and use the cellular data - do you really need this?
(4) I read in one of your threads where others were hooking up and using your JetPack device. You do know, of course, each and every single user connecting through your JetPack is using your cellular data plan right? If that is occurring, you don't have your JetPack configured correctly. The JetPack is operating as a mobile hotspot and you're allowing others to connect to the Internet via your JetPack. You need to stop others from using your JetPack - unless you enjoy providing free service for everyone else. You simply configure your JetPack to ONLY allow your device to connect to the JetPack. This is generally done via the MAC address used for your laptop, tablet, etc. The JetPack will ONLY recognize your device by its MAC address and no others can connect through the JetPack.
(5) Nearly all cellular phones provide a mobile hotspot service - you just need to enable it on your cell phone. The mobile hotspot on your cell phone operates nearly identically as the JetPack. They both operate via the carrier network you use for your cell phone data plan.

If you have some questions let me know. I can probably assist you. The end-user connections to a network are generally very simple for me to help you with, the back-end devices contained w/in a business/corporate network, while difficult to setup & configure, is where I spent all of my time. But these type of cellular networks are pretty simple to negotiate and configure from the consumer perspective. Maybe you don't even need the JetPack and maybe you're not configured correctly?
Old July 28th, 2019, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I thought perhaps that snowmobile sled would still be @ Fay's Motel since it's only been several years since I was in the area. Kind of cool to see it's still standing. I've cruised around Hartwick Pines State Park on a couple occasions. My property resides just West of Hartwick Pines State Park and I believe just East of Old No. 27 - kind of directly between the two. My property tax office is located in the Frederic Township Offices complex (Crawford County).
Old July 28th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah, how nice to sleep in. I had to work at it, though, I kept waking up and wasn't tired. Tiger was snoozing on the floor next to me so I just stayed in bed. Twas nice...

Norm I had my internet through my cable TV, then cancelled the TV part and just had internet. It was a horrible company and I finally cut them loose. When I got my smart phone the Verizon people said I was eligible for something, not sure what they were talking about, so I said no. When I went back and asked them what they were talking about, they came up with this Jet Pack. They said when the phone is around it, it works off the Jet Pack, thus saving my phone network. I don't like looking at the internet on my phone, so that's why I have the laptop. No one ever said I had hot spot capabilities with my phone. I'm assuming others are connecting to my Jet Pack because I get several messages saying something has connected. The laptop and my phone would be two, but others still come in. I was told since it was a dedicated phone number and after I linked the laptop to it no one else could connect. Sounds like I was told erroneous information. I'll have to check on that. I never thought much about the whole thing, because the phone, the Jet Pack, and whatever service I have is still cheeper than the cable company plus the phone.

So today is getting back to normal day. Do a little cleaning, go to Walmart, get ready for the work week. I'd love to get out and clean up the dogmobile a little. My Mom kept having a fit about me driving her car while it was still registered to her, so I brought the title home and this week will swap everything over. I guarantee you if she were paying for it we'd hear a different story.

Okay gonna get at it. Hope everyone had a good weekend. There's still a little bit left.
Old July 28th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Marc, it's a Jetstar 1, a locally owned car from Ludington, Mi. It is a sweet car.
Old July 28th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Oh no, not again...

Thanks Dan!
So did the Jetstar use the same body as the Starfire? I think the biggest difference was the engine size, the Jetstar had a small 330 (?) and of course the Starfire had the 394.
So what was the rationale for the Jetstar? Was it only a one or two year model run?
Inquiring Buick minds want to know...
Old July 28th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Well, I'm back from a week in the mountains [sans 2 trips to help a few families

Hope ya missed me
Old July 28th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Yeah, well, if you have an iPhone (even an Android or Windows phone) you have a Hotspot. To see your Hotspot on your iPhone you only need to go to Settings>Personal Hotspot and enable the Personal Hotspot. Done. Your laptop can now use your iPhone as a Personal Hotspot without the need for a JetPack. Anyways, if you're seeing other devices connecting to your JetPack, those 'other' devices are someone else's devices connecting through your JetPack - at your expense.
Old July 28th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - So, again - you can connect your laptop directly to your iPhone Personal Hotspot via WiFi, Bluetooth, or you can even tether your laptop directly to your cellular phone via a USB cable. Just plug your laptop into your cell phone and turn on the Personal Hotspot. In all three scenarios you're simply using your cellular phone as your Personal Hotspot to connect your laptop directly to the Internet.
Old July 28th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm I'm gonna try that. This dial up speed is ridiculous, with what I'm paying for it. The phone bill goes way down in a couple months when the phone is paid for, I paid for the Jet Pack outright. Not sure if there's a contract time I need to fulfill. I must have a look that says this guy doesn't know $hit because they always see me coming. I'm glad I'm not a dumbass in everything I do, I'd be broke.

Must be one of those days. I thought I'd lose it at the QT because this is about the 10th time in a row the pump didn't spit out my receipt. Petty I know, but that's the point of paying outside. Went in to get my receipt and told the kid that was it, I wasn't coming in anymore and I was calling the corporate office. He had this look like he'd just seen a ghost. Then at Walmart I shopped for 10 minutes and stood in the checkout line for 25 minutes. Really this is my fault because I know what a crappy place Walmart is and I keep going. I need to move to a place where I pay 8 bucks for a gallon of milk at the local Mom and Pop, and 12 cents for a tomato on the side of the road.

Don't think anything else can annoy me now, I'm in for the night. Confirmed it's early to work in the morning, wonder what I missed last week.
Old July 28th, 2019, 09:47 PM

Marc, this was a Jetstar 1, which used the same drivetrain as the Starfire, 394-345 hp. It lacks the trim of the Starfire, but still has the engine and horsepower at a lower price. You are thinking of the Jetstar 88, which had the 330 engine, and in '64, had the one year only suspension that was Cutlass sourced, and hard to find parts for. The current owner bought it from the elderly original owners family about a dozen years ago, after he passed away. The guy that owns it now, is 70+ years of age. My buddy and I have admired it for many years. The current owner had it at Homecoming this year, and is a member of the ReOlds chapter. we talked to him there for a bit, and that is where I got the short history on it.
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day back at work. Not much had changed so it was still Big D. We're already making plans to work Saturday and Sunday. Cha Ching!

Didn't make it early this morning. Went to bed at 730 and was still awake at 11. Hope I have better luck tonight.

Summit tonight. Also gonna leave a little early and go look at trailers. Maybe even a trailer with brakes! Now that would be novel.

Well have a quiet afternoon everyone. Monday must be really overwhelming.
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:51 PM

45/43

But y'all knew I was smacking whitey around cause it's Monday
Old July 29th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Running On Empty

Took 3rd place in our flight (Member-Member golf tournament) this last weekend.
Today = 43/40, very average day but nice weather despite a strong wind.
Old July 30th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. Went in early. Seemed to drag on forever, though. Tomorrow is my Friday now, I swapped some things around so I can work Saturday and Sunday.

Jamesbo I knew you were smacking whitey. Beautiful Monday I would have been surprised if you weren't.

Not much else going on. Chiro today.

Have a good one everyone.
Old July 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Always room for one more

Okay this tickled me so I thought I'd share. I've been telling the Alexa in the chiro's office to play odd music if there isn't anyone in there. The first time I told it to play Christmas music. The receptionist is still talking about that. "Just out of the blue it started playing Christmas music." So today I told it to play rap. It was turned down really low and I could hardly hear it, and forgot about it. So when I was leaving, this guy was in there and asked the receptionist, do you like rap music? The answer was hell no. He says then why don't you change the channel? She came flying out to the waiting room and was saying how that thing had a mind of its own. It was all I could do to keep from laughing.
Old July 30th, 2019, 10:00 PM

That's a good one Mike.
Old July 31st, 2019, 03:09 AM

Mike, Next time try this one There's a old movie where this song kills off all the alien invaders from out space

Old July 31st, 2019, 03:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, Next time try this one There's a old movie where this song kills off all the alien invaders from out space
Naughty Marietta - she must have been from Marietta, GA?
Old July 31st, 2019, 03:31 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Here's another you might consider trying. This guy was a professional Russian singer (Edward Kihl)

Old July 31st, 2019, 04:36 AM

That's hilarious, Mike. They probably don't know that anyone can change the music. I wouldn't know either.
Got the new overhead door for the barn. It's going up fine. The wife was away last night to go the Ingham Co. fair with the grandkids. They are showing pigs at the 4H. I went to Leota bar for a burger and a couple beers. Drove the old 56 truck, just a good mellow night. Weather has been great- LOVE summer!!
Where is everyone?
Old July 31st, 2019, 08:45 AM

There's a old movie where this song kills off all the alien invaders from out space
LOL, Slim Whitman sang that song in "Mars Attacks".
Old July 31st, 2019, 08:47 AM

This guy was a professional Russian singer (Edward Kihl)
Holy **** is that bad! Appears to be lip syncing as well.
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:47 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Yes, it is bad! And, the lip syncing makes it even worse. His live versions aren't any better.
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:48 AM
Running On Empty

38/43
Fell apart on the back nine!
Old July 31st, 2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
LOL, Slim Whitman sang that song in "Mars Attacks".

Tanks, I'd forgotten the name of that "Classic" film

Norm, You're too good for me
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think that Russian guy was mocking the Lawrence Welk singers. I couldn't finish that first song. Maybe try it at the border.

Good day at work. Long. There were ice cream stands set up by the lobby and we could go get free ice cream. Only three flavors, the company isn't going to go overboard. I'm done now until Saturday. Going to get that car tomorrow in Florida.

So I forgot to tell you about the giant moth. When last we left it, something had eaten a hole in the middle of it and it appeared to be on its last wing. Well I get home from my Mom's and the moth is gone. Either it got better and flew off, or whatever was eating it ate the whole thing. No sign of it nowhere.

There was an equally awful song, not sure if it was real, in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, called Puberty Love. When the song was played the tomatoes would kill themselves.

Okay tires for the trailer, and replace the idler pulley on the pickup. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:31 PM
Running On Empty

It's been some time since I last watched Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I had to lookup the Puberty Love song. How do you remember this ****, Mike?
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:34 PM
Always room for one more

You'd be surprised at what I remember, though I usually don't remember what I had for dinner last night.
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:36 PM
Running On Empty

Speaking in reference to 'B' rated movies. I managed to watch Surf ***** Must Die twice - it was that bad.
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:48 PM
Running On Empty

So, Jamesbo - it takes a lot to persuade me to buy things which I generally don't think I need - until those things I don't think I need eventually fall apart. I have golf shoes which no one in their right mind would wear - except for me. Two pairs of FootJoy and both w/ cleats. The all leather Brown (dress-up) pair is probably 15 years old. The newer White leather pair is probably 10 years old. I have re-glued the soles on each pair. I think I may be able to get another 5-6 years out of the Brown pair. The newer White leather pair took a **** about two weeks ago. Several of the cleat locks (which are glued into the sole of the shoe) are no longer glued and they are free spinning. I can't remove the old cleats and insert new cleats since the cleat locks themselves are no longer holding.

Monday, I ordered a new pair of Skechers Men's GO GOLF Pro V.4 Honors Golf Shoes .

Oh hell yeah baby. I'm going to be dancing on the greens the rest of the summer now. I see myself shooting solid rounds of mid-70s the remainder of this year. Yeah, right. I feel like a kid in the candy store - FEDEX is supposed to deliver them this afternoon. Bring it!
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:57 PM

Norm, I like the light weight shoes in the summer and wear them to the course just like a pair of tennis shoes. I wear leather [ersatz] shoes in the winter. As we speak, I've got one my golf sandals [FJ] aka "Jesus Weejuns" or "Nazarene Flyers "

They're wonderful in the morning dew. BUT not so hot after ya have ta climb out of a bunker
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:04 PM
Running On Empty

It wasn't my best move to continue to wear leather shoes in the summertime. I think part of the issue was (1) walking through soaking rain with leather golf shoes and (2) my feet sweat terribly in the leather shoes in the summer. Where the hell is the FEDEX delivery truck!
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:21 PM

Well ya won't sweat in these, They really do feel great walking in the morning dew. ONLY like I said, Ya got ta take them off when ya climb outa a bunker to get the sand out from between your toes
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Well ya won't sweat in these, They really do feel great walking in the morning dew. ONLY like I said, Ya got ta take them off when ya climb outa a bunker to get the sand out from between your toes
Holy Sh!thouse mouse - I've never seen those things. They look frick'n awesome. What are they called? I think I need those.
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:29 PM

Foot Joy Golf Sandals [ you probably never hit the ball in a bunker anywho]
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:36 PM
Running On Empty

FEDEX has arrived! FEDEX has arrived!
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:38 PM

Congrats call and order another pair
Old July 31st, 2019, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

They fit perfectly and are super comfortable. Don't tempt me. They're having a FLASH SALE on this pair today until 10:00pm tonight - now reduced to $89.98 (35% off).
Old August 1st, 2019, 02:50 AM

mawn'in

Headed to the big city to the dentist, UGH

Wish me luck

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 1st, 2019, 07:48 AM

Changed my mind after driving 30 miles, did a U turn and said, I 'm not going to do this

LONG story made short. I've been going to the same dentist for 30 years but he's 74 and cutting back on his days in the office. His replacement is a lady, I just don't feel good about.Nothing specific she's just to quick to say what she thinks and I just have this gut feeling she's wrong

So, It's second opinion time