The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2019, 03:27 PM

Hmm, it appears that my 5 year old washer is taking a dump. Probably won't get a repair man over here until Tuesday at the earliest. Greg, I have heard of that cruise, but haven't seen any of it, as my Olds is a bit stagnant, so nothing to drive there. My back did not approve of my carrying a cooler about 50 feet yesterday, got about 25 feet in and it started tingling and stinging down my right side. Had to stop, and regroup. I am planning on taking a couple of days off the second week of July, in order to remove the interior of the Olds for pics. Buckets seats ain't that light, and bending to lift them out will not be any fun.
Old June 30th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Always room for one more

Beautiful out. Woke up around 130 this afternoon and took the truck over to the shop. I was going to bring the Cutlass back but it's been sitting and the brake pedal is stiff and doesn't return. I can pull it up with my foot and the brakes release, but don't really know what's going on. It will require a few minutes to check out. So I brought my pickup truck and trailer back. Then took the dogmobile to Walmart. At some point I need to take the trailer to my work and pick up my other car.

So I didn't want to disconnect the trailer from my truck, so I just brought it along and then backed into my driveway. I thought I had plenty of room between the edge of the driveway and the Vista Cruiser, but I ended up jamming the corner of the trailer into the rear quarter behind the back wheel. I've sure subjected that car to some undignified happenings. So I saw something on the ground under the car, it was a glob of bondo and window screen. Well, whoever did this stunning repair did a good job because it didn't look bad. And it must have been fairly early on because the woodgrain all matches.

Found out a friend of mine's 17 year old son was killed in a gun accident a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard too many details, and I haven't talked to my friend in quite awhile. This hurts on so many levels.

Dan get out the wash tub and wash board. And the wringer.

Jamesbo my Mom is a huge Roy Rogers fan. I'm lucky my name isn't Nelly Belle. Yes I know that was really Pat Brady's car but RR had it in his museum.

Okay, gonna finish up the laundry and then hit the sack. The weekend is over already. Again. I haven't gotten anything done around here in weeks. Tiger comes home tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.
Old June 30th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
The only thing I have done today is put up my 10x10 canopy and repair the damage done to it by the wind last weekend. I think I have it straightened and repaired.
I went to the show in Wylie yesterday and this was my 5th year. It is a fun show with lots of spectators and probably about 300 cars. It is always hot as hell and yesterday did not disappoint. We did have a shower in the afternoon which was a first. It did cool things down. I took a class award in the convertible class. It was a good thing it was judged by participants and not judges because there was an outstanding 53 Packard Patrician Convertible that placed behind me. It was a gorgeous car and for sale for $90,000. I had a good time but was tired when I got home.
Mike I was on a plane once with Roy Rogers. I was coming back from Columbus, Ohio and had managed to get an upgrade to first class. It was on one of those Fokker 100 that only had 8 first class seats. This was in the early 90's. When I boarded there was an elderly gentleman who had preboarded and was in the window seat on the second row on the right side or the plane. He had a cap on with some writing on it but was in a western cut suit. My seat was on the first row on the left side by the aisle. A little while before we landed he got up and went to the bathroom in the front of the plane. I asked the flight attendant "that is Roy Rogers isn't it" which she confirmed. The dumb guy sitting next to him had no idea he was sitting next to The King of The Cowboys. What I would have giving to have that seat. I probably would have had him sign my arm with a Sharpie. I used to watch Roy Rogers every Saturday morning. Nelle Belle was the jeep.
I hope all of you have had a good weekend.
Glenn
Old June 30th, 2019, 10:42 PM

Mike, sorry to hear about your friends son. My washer will not start until the lid locks, and for some reason after filling, it would not lock, and the light that tells me that, was flashing, rather than a steady light. Of course I checked it by lifting the lid, and reached under the inside of the latch to see if it would work. Nope. Hit the pause/cancel button, and nothing again. Unplugged the machine, then plugged it back in. Nope. Hit the fill button even though it was full of soapy water, and it started draining, so I let it go, and then hit fill again, which it did, the lid locked, and I was back in business.
Old July 1st, 2019, 08:10 AM
Oh no, not again...

Modern washers are fun, aren't they? Sometimes taking the power off the machine forces it to reboot, and that's all it takes, - sometimes.

Thinking of taking one of the convertibles to a Canada Day car show, - problem is, even though it's clear and cloudless right now, the forecast says 100% chance of rain right around show time.
So...still deciding...
Old July 1st, 2019, 08:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
I got out at 7:30 for the morning walk. I got 4 miles in at less than 17 minute average per mile. I had a little cloud cover that helped but can see I need to be out no later than 6:30. The sun is a scorcher. I am looking at sod today. I am starting with one pallet to cover the new dirt I spread last week and will go from there.
Mike, I am sorry about your friends son. They will never get over that and it will take a long, long time to cope with it. This is a time in their lives they need all the good friends they can get. I cannot begin to imagine what they are going through.
That is all I have for the time. Have a good day Olds friends.
Glenn
Old July 1st, 2019, 11:42 AM
Oh no, not again...

It started pouring about an hour ago.
So, no car show, no Canada Day festivities, nothing.
Mike, sorry to read about your friend's son, always bad when a kid gets it. It can happen so fast, and with guns, a momentary lapse of reason usually is fatal.

Troubleshot 3 watches today, now looking for parts. I need a balance for one, and a motion-work for another. The problem is that they are both Swiss and 100 years old. Then a pocket watch failed miserably on me when I was winding it up, (mainspring snapped) another Swiss piece of crap, this one a lot newer. Took me 3 hours to figure out and isolate who made the flippin' movement, now to try and find a spring. I'm really beginning to hate Swiss watches, whoever said that they are "quality" doesn't know what he's talking about. They're cheaply put together out of flimsy parts.
Since I have nothing but time and am not frustrated enough yet, I think I might service a 1969-70 Enicar Sherpa automatic. The mainspring I needed finally arrived. Took me 30 minutes to get it open, it takes it's own proprietary style case wrench to open, and now I'm looking at a very filthy (the gasket decomposed) movement and a very complicated automatic winding system. This again reminds me why I hate Swiss watches, it's needlessly complex and has an overabundance of redundant parts, almost as bad as a Rolex. But, this is why one pays the big bucks when it was new, and even bigger bucks to have it serviced. I think the Swiss invented built-in -obsolescence and cascade failure leading to total destruction engineering. If you own a qualtiy Swiss watch, they want you to go to a dealer and pay them to fix it, not some watchmaker. American designed and made watches were designed to last forever, be periodically serviced, and the replacement parts were usually standardized. Not so with the Swiss; each calibre is completely unique, and even within the same design, parts don't freely interchange. If one wants to build Swiss watches, one has to maintain a huge stock of spares, no two are similar enough to interchange. I'm sure the auto industry took a few pointers from this particularly when the Swiss ran all the American manufacturers broke by flooding the market with cheap but reasonably accurate wristwatches that once they broke, no one minded tossing out or paying someone a small fortune to fix. I have a number of Swiss watches and the things scare me; I've had to hunt down so many obscure bits that in the end turned up as unobtainium, or, as in a recent case, the parts I ordered were packaged wrong and don't fit, and nobody knows what the real animal is supposed to look like. Oh, I could send to Switzerland...if I ever go to Switzerland I'll probably very quickly get tossed out and declared "persona-non grata", because I'd love to take some of these movements and shove them up someone's...well, you get the drift.

Enough ranting for today...Have good day, and to any Canucks out there, Happy Canada Day!
Old July 1st, 2019, 12:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I'm a happy boy now, picked up Tiger on the way home from work. Work was busy all day. After lunch -someone- or plural started slacking, and wheels started backing up. After they were inspected there was no place to put them, we started stacking them on top of each other, and at 230 there were still wheels coming out of the washer. The inspector I was working with said that's it, I'm going home. The other guy had already left. I got up early this morning but wasn't feeling it, so I laid down for an extra hour and figured I'd work the regular inspection time. I still stayed an hour late.

Dan glad the washing machine works again. That's how we fix the airplanes, jostle them around, cycle power, good swift kick, etc. Well, not always.

Glenn I one time saw Willard Scott on an airplane. I was with my Mom and she said, should we go talk to him? I said no leave him be. Just about that time some kid recognized him and made a big fuss and bothered the poor guy the whole trip. I know Roy Rogers is from Ohio, I don't know what part. I was at his museum years ago in Victorville, CA, and saw Dusty in the gift shop. Two old ladies were talking to him and Dusty said his dad was going to come in today, but wasn't feeling well. Ah, almost... My Mom would have had a stroke if I met him and she didn't.

Well Tiger has already made a nest on the couch and settled in. It's hot out so I don't plan on doing much, got some things to catch up on inside. Hope everyone was ready to start the second half of the calendar year this morning.
Old July 1st, 2019, 01:27 PM

Mike, So Sorry to hear about your friend's son

Be sure and keep Tiger inside on the 4th when the lunatics start shooting

Smacked whitey today 44/42

Have a great day Olds friends
Old July 1st, 2019, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

Good round James. Glad I didn't give you any points today.
I shot a 44/40
Good advice for Mike - keep Tiger indoors.
We need rain and lots of it. Blistering hot here and no rain in site for another 5-6 days.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 05:00 AM

Raining here this morning but I can't complain, has been 3 beautiful days in a row. How nice! Took a excellent quad ride yesterday with a total of 6 people/quads. I led most of it showing them some trails I learned last year on snowmobile. We went to a bar in a town called Leota and 2 other couples met us for a early dinner. The day was hot and the skies got cloudy and looked like a storm was coming but never did rain. Sure was dusty and everyone looked like they had goatees, including the women!
Drove the 2010 Impala yesterday and after adjusting the a/c controls there started a snapping noise from under the dash, sounded like a gear had stripped and apparently that is what happened. Looking on the interweb I see those cars are known for a control actuator going bad, gears strip inside the actuator. There are 2 on the passenger side that are easy to get to and there's one on the drivers side that is a PIA, it says. I'll bet it's one on the passenger side as that's where the noise is from. I'll check it out today. Also the web says there is a cabin air filter and shows where it is- never knew that. Probably needs one as it's a '10 and has never been changed! Rockauto had the actuators for about $35.00 so not so bad. It's been a pretty good car so far with about 125,000 miles on it now. I hope I can get 300,000 miles out of the car like I did my '02 Impala, but I doubt it, we don't drive as many miles as we used to.
Bought some paint(gloss white) to paint the new wall in the barn. I want to paint it to get a little more brightness. I didn't paint the walls in my shop at the last place when it was new,I planned to go back and paint them later and of course never did, so I'll paint before stuff gets set near it, etc.
At the last shop I bought T-8 fluorescent lights. They were 2x4 fixtures with 6 bulbs. They were very bright. Later on I needed some replacement bulbs so I bought 3 cases (30 bulbs) because of quantity discount. So now I am looking for lights and having trouble finding florescent T8 fixtures. Actually I can find them but they are way more expensive than the new LEDs. I can get LED fixtures with bulbs for less than I can buy florescent T-8 fixtures without bulbs. What do you guys think? I may have to give away or sell the brand new T-8 bulbs I have. Enough hunt and pecking for me- getting dressed and start painting- rainy days are good for inside painting...
Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:17 AM

While Norm is headed towards a 36 on the front side, This poor white trash has been mowing a blowing the cemetery

Greg, Gloss hurts my eyes, I like satin more betteer

Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:33 AM
Running On Empty

41/36
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
41/36
I told ya so
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jamesbo
i told ya so

Old July 2nd, 2019, 11:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
At the last shop I bought T-8 fluorescent lights. They were 2x4 fixtures with 6 bulbs. They were very bright. Later on I needed some replacement bulbs so I bought 3 cases (30 bulbs) because of quantity discount. So now I am looking for lights and having trouble finding florescent T8 fixtures. Actually I can find them but they are way more expensive than the new LEDs. I can get LED fixtures with bulbs for less than I can buy florescent T-8 fixtures without bulbs. What do you guys think? I may have to give away or sell the brand new T-8 bulbs I have. Enough hunt and pecking for me- getting dressed and start painting- rainy days are good for inside painting...
Greg - Interestingly enough, I have been to Leota (Harrison), MI. I still own property near Houghton Lake (South of Grayling on Rt 127).

I installed six T5 fluorescent fixtures in my (30'Wx40'Lx15'H) metal man-cave building & I'm very happy w/ the lighting and the cost of operation. If I were in your position, I'd probably elect to go the route of which is going to cost the least amount of money to operate.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:39 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got beat to death at work today. The wheels came fast and there were more than a few big ones. And they piled up, just like yesterday. About 1oclock there was no more space to put wheels, so the inspectors went home. I wanted to preserve my overtime so I went up front. It was like time was at a standstill. The workers were all just standing around, plenty of work but no one was doing it. The lead came over at 230 with a pep talk, gotta stay late to finish up and set up for tomorrow, gotta do good tomorrow so we can do good on Thursday and get out early. The look on the fat man's face said it all. He's told the ASMs to sandbag. That guy is a real POS.

Been waiting on a guy to get back to me about a Valiant he's selling. He must not be in a hurry to sell it. I thought I could go see it this afternoon, but haven't heard, so maybe tomorrow. I'm gonna keep bugging him. It looks like a real nice car and it's cheep as can be. There's lots of words in one sentence that I like: Cheep, Nice, Valiant.

Chiro day. Only one this week, since they won't be there Thursday. Gotta think up something new for their Alexa.

Greg I think you will be money ahead getting the LED fixtures. Plus if you're chased by werewolves you can run in there and they won't follow.

Tiger doesn't seem bothered by fireworks or thunder. But you guys are right, he needs to stay in. That's easy, he's an inside dog anyway. He goes out and then comes right back in. He'll lay down to drink water then jump up on the couch to relax. Nah, he's not worried about being outside.

Okay gonna get a couple things done before I leave. It's over 90 out and beautiful. I think it stays like this all week until Friday.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:41 PM
Running On Empty

Hello again....Greg!

(1) Do you already have electricity to the building where you are installing your upstairs flooring and new staircase?
(2) If not, is the building detached or attached to your main home? Albeit, do have a need for a separate dedicated electrical sub-panel?
(3) Whether you do or do not have electricity already into the building, if you're wiring in your new fluorescent fixtures (and, while you're wiring in general, in particular if you're going to install some electrical duplexes upstairs), consider wiring in your lighting fixtures separately from your electrical duplexes. Try to keep each dedicated. Also, consider putting one or two light fixtures on one light switch and one or two light fixtures on another switch so you have better control of electrical expense.
(4) Hopefully, if you already have a sub-panel to the building, the sub-panel has both a ground and neutral so as you can maintain polarity within your electrical duplexes. I realize many older buildings didn't employ an electrical neutral and only a ground - something to consider.
(5) Consider installing at a minimum a couple two-way light switches - upstairs and downstairs. Why not install three-way switches to really show-off your ingenuity. Four-way light switches will require serious mental anguish - yet, they're sweet when you can show them off.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 2nd, 2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: sp
Old July 2nd, 2019, 05:54 PM

Norm, what a small world! I am on Long Lake, Harrison, Mi. which is about 18 Miles south of Houghton Lake, I have probably been close to your land. The barn has it's own electric service and meter as it is across the road from the house. The service panel is new and right now it has very limited outlets/lights, just as I got it. I basically switched the existing wiring into the new box. I did add a 240 outlet for my welder but other than that it's as it was when I got it (except for the new panel box). I am going to wire up the shop area but don't plan to put any outlets up in the 2nd floor as it is really only for storage. I am going to put some lights up there on a switch probably by the stairway to turn them on when going up. I may use the lights that were/still are on the main floor up on the 2nd floor The shop is the area I want good lights in. I also really loved the T-8's -very bright. I will keep the lighting separate from the outlets. I haven't really planned out the wiring yet but soon will. Thanks for the tips!
Today I painted the new wall, makes it a lot brighter, I'll do another coat tomorrow.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 06:42 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - Looking good on the upstairs. My property is actually located in the defunct TWIN PEAK/UP NORTH subdivision - which was never developed as proposed by the bankrupt developer(s). This was 47 years ago - I've owned this vacant undeveloped two acre parcel for that long. You might remember this development proposal back in the late '60s. I think it was initially referred to as the Bradford Lake Resort development cockamamie name or whatever. I just wanted to own some property at the young age of 20 years old so I flew to Grayling on a DC-3, surveyed the property and bought it. I was in college for many years following and really was just paying taxes. During this time evidently some other property owners filed suit against the developers - why no one ever informed me still remains a mystery to me. At any rate, I own a piece of hell-in-a-bucket is what I own. The area (no subdivision) has gone to hell, Frederic Township (Crawford County) has pretty much written off nearly all the tracts of land, many landowners ended up donating their properties to places like the YMCA, churches, youth groups, etc. About the only thing I can really see doing with the place is setting up a tent or camper. I'll probably end of donating it, as well.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 04:24 AM

Hello Olds friends,
Norm I don't know of Bradford Lake but I will check on it. That pic of big ugly painting was actually on the 1st floor. I'll have to get some more pics to show you guys.
The son and daughter in law have her entire family up at their place across the lake for the 4th! The family consists of Mom and Dad, 5 kids w/spouses and 12-14 grandkids! Wow! I've been staying away as I'm sure they are plenty busy. They used my pontoon to take a ride last night. Wife and I are staying away unless invited over.
Got the actuator out of the '10 Impala yesterday and just for the heck of it took it apart and could see the striped gear. I ordered an new one along with a cabin air filter which was absolutely filthy as you can imagine after not being changed for 10 years!
Yesterday we went to town and saw a neighbor on the lake who had a flat tire on his trailer along side old US-27. So we stopped to help. This was the worst time to have that happen as the old highway is usually busy but yesterday it was really busy with people coming up for the 4th. At least the tire was on the right side, but the trailer had a full load of sand on it and the tire was off the rim and all bunched up in the gravel. I went back to the barn and got my floor jack, spare off my pontoon trailer and some sockets/ratchet. We jacked the trailer up by the frame but couldn't get it high enough to get the wheel on/off because the jack was overloaded- (I have no idea how much that sand weighed- a lot!) Anyway he had a shovel and we could dig out the loose gravel and did get my spare on and he was on his way.
Yesterday turned out to be a nice day in the afternoon, it was rainy in the morning which was just perfect for painting the wall. I plan to put the 2nd coat on today. Have a good one guys!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 05:42 AM

Greg, My grand father used ta say, "Always marry and orphan" [no family] Wish I had listened. My bride is the baby of 9 and it's ALWAYS sum bodies birthday

I need to hit the driving range so I can try to keep up with Norm before he goes on tour

Old July 3rd, 2019, 11:39 AM
Running On Empty

I'll be lucky to hold onto to my card - I think heading back down to the web.com tour after today's round.
44/41
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'll be lucky to hold onto to my card - I think heading back down to the web.com tour after today's round.
44/41
"Nothing difficult is ever easy"
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:38 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Man I thought we were running a marathon this morning. We did well over 100 nose wheels. They are smaller and go faster, and they kept coming and coming, and then after doing so many, the big main wheels were a bear when used to the small wheels. We finished up about one and then I went back up to the front. The ill-informed were still sandbagging. These are the people who would still listen to the mob boss after he got a life sentence. Tomorrow we all start at 4 and work until we're finished.

So I'm going over to get the Uhaul and turn it in. Since I don't have a ride home I'm going to take my sister's car off the trailer and put the dogmobile on it. Then unload the dogmobile and drive it home. Pretty slick, eh? I would just drive my sister's car home but I don't think the donut spare is up to the 4 miles home. It's been on there awhile.

So Arte Johnson died. That's too bad. I never watched Laugh In, but I saw him in the 70s on the Gong Show. That's two, Mr. Iacocca being the first. Who will be third? (The rule of threes...)

I know I've said, many times, that I want an Imperial. I put a wanted ad on the Imperial website and yesterday this guy contacts me and says he has one and would I be interested. No other information. So I just responded yes, I'm still looking. Today he sends me a picture of a car and a big story about he's selling the car for some elderly people, it has power everything, excellent condition, yada yada. It's at his office in California. I keep thinking, I've seen this car before. Pretty much if there's a 62 Imperial for sale anywhere I've seen it. So I went to Google and put in Images for 1962 Imperial. Sure enough, that exact picture pops up for a car for sale in Germany. Now, I don't read German but nowhere in that ad were the words California or USA. Eh, use the internet at your own risk. Oh and the guy that wrote was Paul Haggis. He's some big time movie producer. Ya right it was him.

Okay gonna get moving. I can't be late with this because I don't want to take a chance with them being closed tomorrow and them charging my sister a huge late fee. Hope the festivities have started early for everyone. Don't blow your fingers off.
Old July 4th, 2019, 04:52 AM

Headed norte

Happy 4th

Olds friends
Old July 4th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Happy 4th all! Wow, beautiful weather here. Yesterday hung out wading and watching boats go by, then put top down on Cutlass and took a nice warm top down ride up to Houghton Lake for a beer and dinner at a Tiki bar. Ride back was very exceptional -just gorgeous!
Old July 4th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It will be afternoon before I finish this I'm sure. The whole shop started work at 4 today, the few that never come in early were grumbling. Our work load was 28 less tires than normal, and lo and behold we finished that up around 9. So we were gone by 930. Oddly enough, we can't seem to get 28 more tires done by 230 any other day. I was working with inspection and actually stayed until a little after 10. There were still some wheels that had come out of the washer that the inspectors wanted to finish up, so I didn't mind staying and helping. Some light cleaning of the machines and we all left. Tomorrow is business as usual, except it's Friday, so we'll see how easy it is to build 160 wheels.

Think I'll mow this afternoon. I'd like to wash the dogmobile as well, but I'd have to wait until after 4. Probably won't be that motivated after mowing. I could give Tiger a bath, he really needs it.

Got the truck and trailer turned in last night with no problems. I took my sister's car off the trailer and put the dogmobile on it. The guy at the place said, are you going to take that car off the trailer? I said well I'm not giving it to you. He looked puzzled. I said, that's my ride home yes I'm taking the car off the trailer. Glad that's done with.

Okay well hope everyone is having a good day. Might take me a nap for a little bit before I get to work.
Old July 4th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Happy 4th guys. I know this is one crowd I don't have to explain the significance of this holiday to.
I finished the second pallet of sod yesterday. It was hot and humid and I lost about 2 pounds of water. That completes one side of the yard. I will put out two more pallets and then I am done redoing my yard. Now the rain will probably stop and I will have to water the heck out of it. The next beg project will be rebuilding the patio and deck. That will be a better project.
I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable 4th. God Bless the USA>

Glenn
Old July 4th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Running On Empty

It is extremely HOT!
42/39=81
Sounds like everyone is enjoying the day. Mike, don't mow the lawn, don't wash the dogmobile, give Tiger a bath, take a nap & call it a day.
Happy Independence Day!
Old July 4th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that's funny. I wanted to mow the entire yard, which is separated into three distinct sections, but I sat down for a minute and fell asleep for two hours. Tiger woke me up and I had lost my ambition. Then I got to talking to my Mom on the phone and before I knew it it was time to start winding down for the evening. At 4oclock how sad.

Boy I must sound like a real doof. Every time I say I'm going to do something, I either fall asleep or lose focus and sit around wasting time. I got way more things done when I was on midnight shift. I'm just beat when I get home in the afternoon, especially working this inspection gig. It beats the hell out of me. Ah, to be young again. When I was a kid I wouldn't sleep all summer. I'd spend pretty much every night at a friend's house and we'd be up all night playing games or causing mischief.

The neighbors are already shooting off fireworks and making all sorts of noise. Tiger is unaffected. Such a welcome difference. The other two would have turned inside out by now. Back in the day I liked anything that went boom. Now it just seems pointless. If you're going to shoot off fireworks, have some that sparkle or light up, or do something other than just make noise.

Jamesbo I was reading an article in the Corvair magazine about the Pontiac Polaris, which was to be the Pontiac version of the Corvair. It was well on its way to being put into production when they decided against it. It mentioned the Oldsmobile version was a half-assed attempt at making something a little different, and it was to be called the F-80, not the F-85. I wish someone would write an article on the Olds with some better pictures.

Glenn sod is not one of my more favorite jobs. But it makes a good instant lawn. When I seed a patch in the yard it never comes up nice, and I end up putting way too much seed down, and it never matches. Sod is instant gratification.

Okay it's time to hit the sack. I hope the fireworks don't keep me awake. I'll be hearing them all weekend. Hope you all have the same fortune.
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:24 PM

84° at 11 pm. A bit warm, with humidity to match. Mike, I know how you feel, I have been wanting to pull the interior from the Olds for awhile, and stated as such here. I will be taking Monday & Tuesday off next week, so it will be one of my projects that I hope to get completed. Only 6 hours for Friday@ work. That means that the taco truck will still be open when I get out, and an easy dinner for me. The downside of coming home from work on the 4th, was getting through the traffic as the fireworks were just winding down as I came through our downtown area, where they were firing them off. Bumper to bumper. If I would have remembered that, I could have taken another route home, which would have skirted the whole sch-meal. I will try to get to a local car show to benefit veterans on Saturday at the LST 393 museum. Hopefully they have a good turnout.
Old July 4th, 2019, 11:46 PM

Just went over to FB, and found out that my best friend had his first grandchild (his daughter & husband). A 4th of July baby. His second one, via his son and wife is due in September.
Old July 5th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Always room for one more

Well let's see. Either everyone is off today and out on the lake, everyone has blown their faces off with fireworks, or we've touched on every possible subject and there's nothing left to write about.

Pitiful for a Friday. We stayed until the regular time, and didn't finish, and we're working both Saturday and Sunday. I said yes to Saturday but initially said no to Sunday. Then I realized Sunday was double time. So I'll be working at least 13 days this week. This so isn't me.

Did the inspection thing yet again, and will do it tomorrow, and probably Sunday. A body really takes a beating doing this, but somehow it wasn't as bad today because another mechanic that I work with was helping, and he kept missing cracks and I kept finding cracks.

Well gonna take a trip to the credit union, then put gas in the pickup so I can take it and the trailer to work tomorrow. After work I'll stop by the travel lot and pick up the Aura. It's been in the lot over there for a week.

Dan congratulations to your friends. I hope they are up to the task of raising a human in these turbulent and uncertain times. See ya's everyone.
Old July 5th, 2019, 01:14 PM

I'm back

The firewerks were last night down ere and tonight at the lake in the mountains. So Red Dog got to avoid the whole 4th of July mess. Ta tell you the truth, I'm getting kinda tired of fireweks displays. It dives all the animals crazy. I 've seen deer ruining around in circles not knowing WTH to do when they start blasting

Hope all my Olds friends had a safe and enjoyable 4th
Old July 6th, 2019, 04:40 AM

Jim, yeah I get tired of fireworks also, though last night and the 4th night the neighbors on both sides of us had some really good ones, but I must admit all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Random banging and booming not really good for sleeping. But it's only once a year and the neighbors have their huge families up for the 4th- It's all good... I now agree with the other full time neighbors, the best time to go somewhere else is on holiday weekends. Especially with the high speed boaters/skiers/jet skis, We stay off the lake until 7:30 when it becomes "no wake".Bunch of crazies. 2 jet skis collided last weekend and a 20 something girl got a broken leg!
Painted some more in the barn, It looks so much better and brighter, I'm still waiting on the garage door company to get back with me on a quote. People are really slow around here. I have a line on a furnace from a friend who installs commercial furnaces, He has a few used ones that he removed and he kept with the idea of using in shops/garages. I am still undecided on what kind of lights I'll use in the shop, but leaning towards the 4' LED's. I can get 10 of them for about $220.00 shipped. Propane tank is set but still have to run underground line to barn. After I get lights and furnace in place I can figure out how to run electrical. Still a lot to do but the hard part(I-beams and 2nd floor/shop ceiling) is mostly done. I still want to make a railing or some type of waist high guard on the 2nd floor so someone doesn't fall. I am thinking of something I could slide in and remove easily if taking something big and bulky up the stairs. I was actually thinking about a chainlink fence about waist high? I saw a dog cage for sale and made me think of it. Drill 2" holes in the floor and slide the fence rails in like on the beds of a pickup truck?? You guys got ideas?? Take care.
Old July 6th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - So..........there are many ideas/suggestions regarding the ability to protect someone from falling down into the staircase. I'll mention a couple things just to consider:

(1) Safety should obviously be the foremost concern;
(2) Safe for whom? I doubt you're building this to a town uniform safety code which would require the proper minimum spacing between posts so a child can't pass through the rail posts and fall down the staircase;
(3) Any type of a simple rail will assist anyone with a secure place to put their hand(s) if they need support up/down the stairs;
(4) Are you looking for aesthetics or function?

Without carving out a bunch of styles - there is one very simple and effective method of covering the staircase hole - make a large 4' x 8' solid piece of OSB or other board w/ additional strapping to support the OSB board and just lay the board across the hole. You can drill a couple dozen holes in it for air flow if you like. Put some handles on it for ease in lifting. The other option is to hinge the board to the upstairs flooring. Whatever you're thinking about, ensure it really is a safety feature and if someone does fall against the railing, the railing can actually support the weight of the person doing the nose-dive down the staircase.

A bunch of 2" x 2" posts nailed to the floor aren't going to do it. I like the idea of the pickup stanchions - just ensure those stanchions are solidly secured to a solid foundation which will support the weight of anyone who might fall into them w/o them breaking in two and crashing along with the person falling.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 6th, 2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old July 6th, 2019, 09:51 AM

Greg,

How about sum hog panels, They bolt to square post and could be removed if ya had ta move something big up stairs

Course if it's like the top of my barn it's got so many sheets of left over this and that, it's about 4 floor deep
Old July 6th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Out at 11 on overtime. Pitiful. We should have been done by 9. Eh, hopefully we do better on double time tomorrow. We turned a lot of wheels today and I'm beat.

Looks like rain. We must have had some storm at the airport today, to which we were totally oblivious being in the bunker. When we left it was wet and driving past there were several trees that were broken and traffic lights askew. I swear the world could end and we wouldn't know it.

So I found another car to buy, but instead of giving up all my money, I decided to take money and pay it back in big chunks over the next few months. The credit union says, we need the title and a bill of sale before we can write the check. I said good luck with that. No one is foolish enough to give up the title FOR FREE on the word of a stranger. How do these people stay in business? As luck would have it, the seller and I have mutual friends, so I will ask him for a copy of the title and a presumptive bill of sale. Hm, is that a word?

Got the car home from the travel lot. No problems at all, but where I parked the truck gave the bus driver a lot of consternation. He had plenty of room. The guy in the guard shack laughed and asked if I was just making rounds. Nope, only came for my car.

Okay gonna go and not do anything. Hope everyone is having a good afternoon.
Old July 6th, 2019, 03:20 PM

A bit warm here, but I got the grass cut, weed killer applied, and Home Defense applied around the foundation of the house. Stopped out at the local mall to get some small U of M T's for my buddies newborn grand kid, as the parents are both U of M boosters. He went to dental school there, she was a nurse at the hospital before moving back up here. The mall is about 30% empty of businesses, such is their fate in the internet world. I stopped at my favorite deli yesterday on my way to work, to see if they could order a bottle of Dom Perignon, wow, has it gone up in price ($200.00) I guess something a little more affordable to share with the new grand parents may be in line. There was a new take out at the mall, so I ordered the rib dinner to go, pretty darn good.